C
Dedicated July 2019

Post nominal letters after marriage

Caitlin, on September 5, 2019 at 11:37 AM Posted in Married Life 0 13
Saved Save
Did you earn a degree prior to marriage? How do you use your post-nominal letters and new last name? I earned a Masters degree in the year prior to my marriage and I'm trying to transition to using my new last name for any new correspondence. Is it appropriate to pair my new last name with my degree that I earned with my maiden name?

Ex.

Name on degree: Caitlin Vele, MS

New last name with degree? : Caitlin Harding, MS

I have done some searching online but can't find a consistent answer. What did you do?

13 Comments

• Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't think that there's anything wrong with using your new legal name with your degree regardless of what your name was when you earned it. It's still you, I don't think your credentials change along with your name lol Smiley winking

• Sara
    Expert June 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag

It is still your degree, not your names degree so I do not see an issue with this. Are you thinking you have to get your name on your degree changed? I don't really think you have to do that.

• B
    Devoted July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

Yes, it's completely appropriate to use your new last name with your post-nominal letters. You're still the one who earned the degree lol. You may want to notate on your CV that your name changed, or include your maiden name as a middle name on your CV, to avoid confusion.

• Jenni
    Dedicated September 2021
    Jenni ·
    • Flag

As far as I'm concerned, you earned those letters. You get to flaunt them regardless of your new last name!

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    Yes, this is fine, though I've never seen anyone add letters after their name for a master's degree. It's more common for doctors, attorneys, and CPAs. For instance, I'm an attorney and after our name we add Esq. I've changed my name twice now since becoming an attorney.
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara Online ·
    • Flag

I've never put letters for my Master's after my name, but I personally wouldn't have any issues with pulling them over to my married last name. If you publish a lot and are concerned about people in academia being able to track you from your maiden name to your married name, I guess you could consider tacking your FH's last name onto your name, and then going by Caitlin Vele Harding, MS in a professional setting. *Note that I'm approaching this from a math/engineering perspective, so if you're in a different field things may be different

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

I never use my own title. Clients will send me things with "Esq." appended, but I figure I don't need to use it, since they already know I'm a lawyer.

However, if you would otherwise use "MS," you're entitled to use it, regardless of your name. You didn't suddenly forget everything you learned when you changed your name.

• ChiBride
    Devoted December 2019
    ChiBride ·
    • Flag
    Typically people don’t add MS after their names, unless they’re teaching. I got my doctorate of physical therapy (DPT) and my license has my maiden name. I don’t think I can change the last name linked to my license, but I’ll still refer to myself as Dr. new last name if the situation is appropriate lol
  • Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    Are you licensed at all?
  • 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It would be very unusual if your state didn't allow changing your name on your license. Here are the rules in Illinois, for example:

https://www.ipta.org/page/NameChange

If they didn't allow this, how could anyone verify that you were even licensed, since your name wouldn't match what was on the license?

• C
    Dedicated July 2019
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for this! This is mostly what I was worried about- publishing, applying for additional grad programs and jobs in the field. Seems that everyone tends to agree that it’s fine 😊
  • C
    Dedicated July 2019
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally agree! I meant more for academia purposes and application to additional graduate programs or jobs within my very niche field- absolutely not for social situations! Thanks for the input 🙂
  • Jessica
    VIP October 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I only have my Bachelor's degree but have to sign my name Jessica Last Name RN, BSN multiple times everyday. I would get almost everything I submit for patients returned if I didn't. It depends on what type of degree you have.

Comment on this discussion