Kasia
Just Said Yes January 2020

Ohio Name Change: Maiden to Middle

Kasia, on August 12, 2019 at 4:32 PM Posted in Ohio Planning 0 2
Saved Save
I was wondering if anyone had some updated information on changing your maiden name to your middle name. Legally, I heard there is a longgg process in Ohio and you have to go through name change court. But I’ve also read stories where ladies just change it on their marriage license at the Clerk of Courts and have great luck at the Social Security and BMV.

I currently do not have a middle name so I wouldn’t be replacing anything. Anyone have stories to share on how they did it?

2 Comments

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·

Hey Kasia!

When it comes to legal situations, I think it’s always best to contact your county clerk's office to get the exact and correct information that you need. It can be difficult to get the correct advice from anecdotal experience as the laws differ so much from state to state.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·

I live in Ohio and when we got married I wasn't taking his full hyphenated name so I had to do it through the court house. He also dropped the hyphenated part that I wasn't taking so we got to do it together which was nice. Not sure about moving the maiden to middle name but if you need to do it in the court house it's really not that bad. I filled out all the forms online. They put a notice in the paper and your court date is 30 days after that. We were in a little court room with 4 other people changing their names and the judge just went through us one by one and asked us what our new name was going to be and why we decided to change it.

Comment on this discussion