Master October 2017

Name change question: College diploma

fallinthegarden, on November 22, 2017 at 12:20 PM Posted in Married Life

For anyone who changed their name after marriage,

Did you change your name on your college diploma? I understand why it would be helpful, so your name on your diploma and any professional licenses match. However, most applications for jobs or licensing ask for previous names, presumably for locating records associated with maiden names.

The general internet has been less than helpful in finding whether it's truly necessary, or just something people like to do. Has anyone left their degree in their maiden name and run into any problems?



  • Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·

    I never even considered this. Is this even something that can be done?

    I probably won't - but I also don't have a job where I would want/need to display my diploma for any reason. If you have a job like being a lawyer or a Dr I can see where it would be useful.

  • Future Mrs M
    Super June 2018
    Future Mrs M ·

    No, you cannot change it. At least not with my university. You won't run into issues because anything you would need it for specifically asks "Have you been known by any other names". you can provide your marriage certificate if needed, too.

  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·

    Nope, my diploma will forever have my maiden name. Anybody hiring knows there's a chance you got married and changed your name. They can account for that

  • The Trap Selena
    Master March 2016
    The Trap Selena ·

    I never changed my diploma. I haven't had any issues with jobs being able to verify my identity or degree.

  • BohoRN2017
    Expert November 2017
    BohoRN2017 ·

    No, I don't know anyone who has done this. I work in healthcare so I figured if it was done somebody I know would have done it.

  • fallinthegarden
    Master October 2017
    fallinthegarden ·

    Thanks guys! I figured it was ok to leave since applications ask for prior names, just wanted to make sure because it came up on most of the name change checklists I found.

  • QueSeraSera
    VIP December 2017
    QueSeraSera ·

    You can probably let the schools know about the name change, but I don't think your whole diploma needs to be changed

  • Cricket
    Devoted March 2018
    Cricket ·

    I won't be changing my diploma, but I will be changing it on my professional certification. You should be fine without changing it on your diploma or attempting to change it!

  • Mrs. DeNigris
    VIP October 2017
    Mrs. DeNigris ·

    I agree with QueSeraSera. I believe you can change your name in the alumni records, but I don't think your degree needs to (or can be) changed.

  • Dolores Umbridge
    VIP June 2017
    Dolores Umbridge ·

    I don't know if you can even do that. But when I renewed my RN license this year I changed my name on it no problem.

  • WeddingCruiser2019
    Dedicated January 2019
    WeddingCruiser2019 ·

    I never heard of this.. for professional licenses I have (my CPA license will have to change to my married name) but I never even thought about my college degrees. I would find it really weird if a college allowed that.

  • Margaret
    Expert March 2018
    Margaret ·

    My university is actually making me put my married name because it will be my legal name at the time of matriculation. Most universities make you do maiden name though

  • fallinthegarden
    Master October 2017
    fallinthegarden ·

    @Margaret, I already have a degree. I was asking about retroactively changing it, since it was recommended on some checklists I saw.

    @Rica, totally agree with that sentiment. That's why I was asking, I don't want it changed, I just wanted to hear from others that it wasn't needed since I had seen it recommended several times on checklists.

    Apparently some of those checklists are excessive in their recommendations. I also saw a recommendation that you change your name at the post office. When I went to buy stamps for Christmas cards today, I asked the clerk if I should do that. He looked at me like I was nuts.

  • Jessica
    Devoted December 2017
    Jessica ·

    You can call and them reprint it very easily. I know a girl who did this after her wedding and then after her divorce

  • Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·

    Not sure what schools everyone else went to, but at my undergraduate and graduate school, you can change your name after the fact with a court order or marriage license. Ask your college if you can change it before getting into the pros and cons of doing so.

  • Mrs.7/29/17
    Savvy July 2017
    Mrs.7/29/17 ·

    I work in health care and the person that does the insurance paperwork for me (credentialing) told me that I needed to do it too!! I had never heard of changing a person's diploma before that!! I'm not going to do that though-- that's one of the reasons that I made my maiden name my middle name. Kind of a headache but I'm glad I did it. Seems to have meant a lot to my partner.

  • Constance
    VIP October 2017
    Constance ·

    You can and should change your name with the university, but no. They do not send you a new diploma with your new last name. No one looks at your physical diploma after graduation, so it really doesn't matter.

  • earias
    Rockstar December 2017
    earias ·

    I agree with @Rachel. All my diplomas, awards and certifications as an attorney are in my maiden name hanging on my wall. No one has ever questioned it. Most people expect a woman to change her last name when she is married so they just accept these diplomas are in my maiden name. But I do have to update the State Bar with my name change.

  • BlushingBride
    VIP October 2017
    BlushingBride ·

    This is the craziest thing I've ever heard

  • Kay
    Super March 2017
    Kay ·

    I didn't change the name on my degree, but I did change it on my professional licenses.

Comment on this discussion