Laura
WeddingWire Administrator June 2010

Married Life: What Changed?

Laura, on August 25, 2018 at 11:05 AM Posted in Married Life 1 11
Saved Save

For those who are already married, what changed about your relationship once you were married? What didn't change? Did any of it surprise you?

Married Life: What Changed? 1

{photo from Bright Florida Garden Wedding by Alena Bakutis Photography }

11 Comments

• OG Gretchen
    Super June 2018
    OG Gretchen ·
    • Flag

I had to wake up every morning and put on 2 rings instead of one and stop calling him my boyfriend.

• KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    • Flag

Other than my name and things like health insurance, nothing has really changed. Our relationship does feel more special, but we were already pretty settled in before our wedding.

• Anna
    Dedicated June 2019
    Anna ·
    • Flag

Following!

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    • Flag

Filing my taxes as married filing jointly and I spend more time at the DMV than I ever imagined.

• OG Gretchen
    Super June 2018
    OG Gretchen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

They refused to update my address along with my name because I don't have any of the utilities in my name. My credit card and loan statements weren't adequate to prove my residence.

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow - what a pain!! I am sorry you had to go through that. Luckily my address did not change. I remember what was a colossal pain when I got divorced and went back to my maiden name: Paypal.

I also own three cars so back to the DMV I went to change those, but one still has a lien listed and even though I have the lien release they can't do a name change AND a lien release at the same time. So I gotta go back. Help. Smiley winking

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

Nothing for us. We had lived together for almost 3 years by the time we got married. We bought a house, two cars, dealt with a death, budgeted our money together. It was just smooth sailing.

• Tiara
    Expert October 2018
    Tiara ·
    • Flag
    Nothing really changed between us except maybe extra giddiness, but Lord, our friends keep asking us how we like married life/is it going okay/how is living together while staring expectantly into our souls 😂.
  • Emily
    Devoted August 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Nothing has changed so far! We were together 6 years before getting married. Smiley heart

• Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's so funny! Smiley xd

• Jalyn
    Dedicated August 2019
    Jalyn ·
    • Flag
    I just got married the 10th. We lived together for two years before getting married. it was a lot of work after the wedding, last name change, bank situations of joint accounts, house planning, family planning and the financial discussion. It mostly felt like we have a much more serious relationship. i do feel a bit more pressure to be a good wife and it’s a lot of responsibility coming and trying to take everyone’s advice and such. I’m so excited none the less! there’s so much beauty in being married that i know we can tackle it all together.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics