We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Sarah
Savvy May 2021

Covid Wedding vs Reschedule

Sarah, on November 16, 2020 at 10:18 AM Posted in Massachusetts Planning 1 15
Saved Save
Reply

Hi,

Currently we are planning to get married in May 2021! I'm starting to get nervous, and realize the chances of me being able to have the wedding that I want in May is slim. At what point do I wait to make our decision to reschedule vs settle for a smaller/more intimate wedding? We are in MA. I'm thinking by February, but so much is still unknown!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Valencia, on November 18, 2020 at 9:06 PM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I would start putting together a backup plan now, but don't make any decisions on whether to switch to it until around February or March. At that time, if you need to switch to the backup plan, you'll already have a plan in place. Check with vendors to see if they can put a soft hold on a new date until you decide whether you need it.
    • Reply
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the previous poster. Create a backup plan ASAP
    • Reply
  • Jay
    Dedicated September 2021
    Jay Online ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the others—sort out the backup plan now, & then figure out what date you need to decide by. Rescheduling vs downsizing are both valid backup plans but pretty different in practice, & I think you need to decide now which it will be, then later decide if it’s original plan or backup. Your backup plan might depend on a lot of factors—Do you need or want to be married now? Do you want two events or one? Will all of your vendors work with you, or none of them?


    For example, my fiancé & I have already chosen our backup plan (ceremony with immediate family & full reception postponed for another year or two, vs the original plan of one large ~150 person event). We already know who is on our WP1 list & we discussed this plan with all vendors before booking them. But we aren’t deciding until before we send out invites (probably mid-July for our late September wedding) which option we’re going with.
    • Reply
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

    As someone who lives in New England, I doubt Charlie Baker will let you have a wedding wedding in May. I could be wrong, but I would be looking into other options ASAP.

    • Reply
  • Sarah
    Savvy May 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Thank you so much everyone for your advice! Ya I am definitely feeling we won't be having a large wedding in May. I'm just torn I do want the big wedding, but don't want to wait another year or 2. I would be willing to wait until later in 2021, but don't want to wait and still not be able to have the wedding we want!

    • Reply
  • Jay
    Dedicated September 2021
    Jay Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I missed you were in MA! I’m in New England too. If you might want to postpone to later 2021 I would talk to vendors now...we booked our September 2021 venue in July & most places we were looking had very limited dates available. We ended up on a Friday because of it, & then also ran into lots of booked photographers!
    • Reply
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I agree to have a back up plan just in case. But I think the real question here is just how badly do you want to get married on your original date? How badly do you want the dream wedding? I think it's best to realize sooner rather than later that things aren't going to change anytime soon and that if you want to get married sooner you are definitely going to have to cut down on some of the things you invisioned for your wedding. But remember you can still have an amazing wedding day even with covid forcing you to change up your wedding. But if you do choose to wait how long will it take for things to go back to normal.


    • Reply
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag

    Our big wedding is scheduled for March 2021 and I am not making a decision until the end of January on whether to postpone or not

    • Reply
  • CountryBride
    Expert April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag

    I would say in february you should have more of an idea of how things are gonna be I hope things turn around for you and you have an amazing wedding

    • Reply
  • Brigitte
    Savvy May 2021
    Brigitte ·
    • Flag

    I'm in a very similar boat. I'm originally from MA but we live down in CT and the wedding will be in CT in May. But my mom wants to have my bridal shower in MA. So far, we've only sent out STD's to our top 25 guests. We're definitely getting married on that day no matter what, it's just a matter of waiting until invites need to be ordered to decide if it looks like we can have a bigger gathering or just move forward with 25 guests (immediate family). But the waiting is getting so stressful that every day I'm leaning more towards just having the intimate wedding in May and then having a big party for our first or second anniversary. I would definitely still want to dance and celebrate with our extended family! But I'm not going to put our marriage and future family on hold. That's most important to us.

    • Reply
  • Sarah
    Savvy May 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Yes! I completely get what your saying! The unknown is killing me! But I honestly don't even think I could get my immediate family down to 25, nevermind 25 between the 2 of us, and that is just where I am so torn!

    • Reply
  • Victoria
    Devoted June 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag

    Hi Sarah!! I just postponed my wedding from January 2nd, 2021 to Jube 26th, 2021 and I totally get it! I had a backup plan and was in constant communication with my venue and I just made the decision to postpone my wedding and I will remain hopeful that I'll still be able to have it in June. I would say no more than 60-90 days before you should try to make the call if you're going to postpone or continue with it. Make sure to have some other dates in the back of your mind that you'd think will work out nicely as well. I'll be praying that we all will be able to have our summer weddings!

    Good luck Sarah!

    • Reply
  • Ashley
    Dedicated May 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

    I’m May 2021 bride as well. I have started the backup plans now and will make the final call in February.

    • Reply
  • Honey
    Savvy July 2022
    Honey ·
    • Flag
    To be honest I didn’t wait. My wedding was supposed to be July 2021. The unknown just kind of freaked me out and so my fiancé and I changed our date to July 2022. I feel a little less stressed but still hoping that 2021 brides get to celebrate 🤞🏼🤞🏼


    You can always start by creating a plan B & C if you don’t want to change your date just yet. And a few months prior you can contact your vendors and see how they can help. Or you can contact them in January to see how things are going for them and what would be the next step for you.

    Best of luck!
    • Reply
  • Valencia
    Dedicated June 2022
    Valencia ·
    • Flag
    I’m in the same boat... June bride and now that it’s time to be full swing planning, it’s so hard cause of all the covid worry... I’m waiting til around January to see if I should reschedule
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles