Tradewinds Island Resorts Reviews

101 | Saint Petersburg, FL

101 Reviews for Tradewinds Island Resorts

The Tradewinds is an awesome resort to have a wedding at in St. Pete. They get high marks for value, friendliness of staff, and their food (breakfast, hors d'oeuvres, and the plated dinners at the wedding were all AMAZING - guests are still raving about them!). They are family friendly and extremely flexible to couples and their needs. It's a huge resort with numerous ceremony and reception locations to choose from (and the gazebos and swans are beautiful for pictures). We booked this venue as a destination wedding location and were surprised at how much nicer this venue was than other local hotels of the same price (Sirata, Dolphin Beach, Howard Johnson, Postcard Inn). We looked at the Don Cesar and the Sandpearl hotel but decided that the $10-$15K more that we would have to pay at those locations wasn't worth it (plus they were very inflexible to our needs at those locations). The rooms were a little pricier at Tradewinds, but many of our guests stayed at the Howard Johnson and Guy Harvey hotel right next door. The wedding coordinator, Julie Manes was professional, experienced, responsive, and sweet as ever. I gave 4 stars on professionalism mainly due to the finance department and front desk clerks that weren't very helpful when guests were trying to book on the room block (they were nice, but not very educated about the room block process). Also, this is a family friendly hotel that was really great for our guests with families as well as our "party animal" adults (lots of bar locations), but just a warning - during spring break there are screaming kids everywhere.... lol We visited during Nov/Dec and it was much more serene :)

Sent on 04/27/2015

Thank you!!

The Tradewinds grounds were beautlful, the wedding professionals were great to work with, and I'd choose the same place again.

Sent on 07/12/2014

Thank you!

We recently held our wedding reception at the Tradewinds Island Grand and guest accommodations at the Tradewinds Guy Harvey Resort. The resort offers a great variety of activities that appealed all of our guests and has a wonderful location on the beach. The venue was beautiful and absolutely perfect for our reception. We worked with Julie to plan our event. She helped us along the way to determine the locations on the property and vendors to use to achieve our vision. Julie was an absolute pleasure to work with. Her positive and light hearted attitude helped me get through several stressful situations with a smile and a good laugh which is pretty much priceless! The hotel & event staff was professional and very helpful. I would highly recommend both Julie and the Tradewinds for your wedding day!

Sent on 04/10/2014

Tradewinds Island Resorts's reply:

thank you! Enjoyed working with you too
  • O

Olivia · Married on 05/11/2013

We had a wonderful experience working with Julie Manes at the Tradewinds. We were in contact with her regularly and she was most accommodating while responding promptly to every email, which made our lives less stressful. She truly wants to make your wedding the perfect day. We had our rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony, reception, and farewell breakfast all at the TW and every event was perfect. The food was phenomenal, as was the service. During the wedding weekend, every question or request was addressed immediately. Julie really goes the extra mile for you. The only thing I would suggest for future brides is to request to see the bridal suite. It has a kind size bed with jacuzzi and although not a gulf front suite, it's really nice. Also, make sure that if you book this suite, make it clear you want the BRIDAL suite and for what night(s). The room we were given at first was not the bridal suite we booked, which resulted in us having to move all of our stuff (a lot) from two separate rooms into one when this could and should have been avoided. Nonetheless, the staff handled it well and got it taken care of for us.

Overall, the Tradewinds is a wonderful venue for a wedding. They have so many areas to choose from for various events. All of our events were at different locations so our guests really got the full effect of the beautiful property. Our experience there was everything we envisioned it to be.

Sent on 06/23/2013

Christa · Married on 04/21/2012

I had a great experience at the Tradewinds, which is where we held our reception. The staff was very friendly and professional. The ballroom was beautiful & the food was delicious.

My only advice is to stay in touch with the group reservation manager if you will be having out of town guests staying at the resort. Many of my guests had a hard time with reservations & with getting an appropriate check- in time. My room was not even ready the day before the wedding prior to our rehearsal, which was a hassle.

The wedding planner that was assigned to me left the resort after helping me plan the wedding for a year! I never received notice of this...it wasn't until I called to review some last minute things with her that I found out she was no longer working for the resort. Luckily, Julie (the new coordinator) came to the rescue and things worked out fine.

I would highly recommend this venue :) Good Luck!

Sent on 05/30/2012

Abby · Married on 11/05/2011

Tradewinds is a magnificent resort on St. Pete Beach. Made for an absolute stunning ceremony and reception! Renee did a great job with making the day of good quite smoothly! The only thing I could have asked for more was a little more assistance with the rehearsal the night before. Otherwise, no complaints! Great place, great views, and the catering for the event was delicious!

Sent on 11/13/2011
  • Heather

Heather · Married on 04/09/2011

3.5

We had our ceremony and reception completely outside at the Tradewinds Island Grand. We worked with Renee Prine. She was nice, professional, and honest. We chose the venue because it offered the outside venue, food, lodging, and cost we were looking for. They have a great resort. It's directly on the beach, lots of restaurants on-site, activities for the kids, and friendly staff. Our day was great! Everyone was helpful. Our guests commented on how lovely everything was. The food was excellent. Most people said it was the best wedding meal they had ever eaten. We didn't know it until after-the-fact but they made a special accommodation. One of our guests had a food allergy that did not allow him to eat ANYTHING on the buffet. The chef made him a special plate. No questions aksed, no bothering the bride and groom. Great!! The only small problem was how busy Renee was leading up to the event. Really, it wasn't an issue. She has so much to do that emails took a litlle longer for a response. But it never caused a problem. I made sure to always ask questions early. I am a planner so, emailing was best. It was a way to have it in writing to remember. Her answers were always thorough and helpful. I definately say, go with Tradewinds!

Sent on 04/27/2011

The Tradewinds Resort was amazing to work with and between them, Exquisite Events, and the recommended vendors, (Iza's Florists, Cakes by Nadia, the DJ & The Gallery Photograghy), there wasn't much that my husband & I had to do besides pick up a few party favors. They all made it so easy.

The food was delicious, everyone at the reception told us how much they enjoyed their meal. We danced so much and the photogragher got so many great shots of everyone. The Staff and Vendors all worked so well together, like they knew each other already, it was great, it was like they were invisible. The staff of the Tradewinds were very accomodating with our guests also, which was nice to hear.

We couldn't have found a better place to have our wedding. They say something is going to go wrong, expect it, well, nothing went wrong, unless you want to say that it rained on us during our nuptuials, but I think that is actually a sign of good luck!

Thank you Julie Manes & the Staff of Tradewinds!!!
    Jerry & Kim Lague

Sent on 07/22/2014

Tradewinds Island Resorts's reply:

Thank you both!!! It was fun :)

Elizabeth · Married on 03/10/2012

I got married at Tradewinds Island Resort on March 10, 2012. My husband and I also got engaged there and have stayed many times, always very enjoyably.

Our wedding was another fabulous experience. When their catering manager left 6 weeks before my wedding, I was extremely worried, however Julie came in and did an even better job, and cut me some extra deals along the way to get some of the prices down. It was such a relief, and ended up being a blessing in disguise. She was attentive and responsive all the way through, making sure all the small requests that we made to set up were taking care of. My only take away is I was under the impression they had moved the wedding after me at the same ceremony site, but they didn't. So when they ceremony started 20 minutes late, we had NO time for pictures after. A bummer, but since there are so many beautiful places to take pictures on site, it was not the end of the world.

The food and catering staff were wonderful and professional throughout the entire process and reception. The food is a little bit better than your average wedding buffet (they do not serve plated meals outside, and my reception was in the courtyard).

Bottem line: If you are willing to pay the premium for a beach wedding, than Tradewinds is a wonderful options. Their prices are competitive with the rest of the usual suspects on the Gulf coast of the Tampa area, and lower than some. Because TW is not a chain and is employee owned, they treat you like the VIPs you deserve to be, unlike the other 4 star St Pete Beach resort

Sent on 05/04/2012
  • kalmengual

Kevin · Married on 04/17/2010

3.5

This venue was perfect and made our wedding truly meaningful. The food was fantastic but make sure you taste all food on your menu during the tasting. We had Grouper as a selection and changed it to Mahi due to the freshness. The chef was fantastic and very flexible. Our suite was very comfortable and the location worked perfectly with the Gazebo wedding

Sent on 05/10/2010

Sonya · Married on 09/07/2019

I just wanted to sincerely thank you for everything. Our wedding night was amazing and everyone loved the venue. I know it has been a long 2 years and like a couple hundred emails later. Thank you so much for putting up with all the changes we made along the way. I know there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen per say, and I appreciate you handling everything the way you did. You went out of your way to make our day so special for us. I am so thankful for all that you have done to make our wedding the best day of our lives. Thank you so much.

Sent on 11/09/2015

Tradewinds Island Resorts's reply:

Thanks you Sonya! Happy you had a great wedding day!
  • Rachael

Rachael · Married on 04/29/2017

Overall, my husband and I loved the Tradewinds and wouldn't choose another venue even if we could go back. :) We had our dream wedding there and loved it. And Julie was great to work with from start to finish. She helped a lot with getting everything the way we wanted. And not living in the area, they were great with recommending local vendors to use. The only reason I wouldn't rate all 5 stars is they do tend to nickle and dime you and aren't as flexible with rates and charges. But that might be a lot of vendors once you mention the word "wedding" so who knows. ;) For example, we tried to negotiate a room block for our guests because the price/discount we were given was outrageous but they wouldn't budge saying they would fill up the rooms anyways. Ultimately, we booked a room block elsewhere for our guests to stay at. That would be my one complaint since we were spending so much money there, I'd think they would want to give us a better deal to retain the business. But, all of our guests raved over how good the food was and how nice the resort was. We also had fun with all of the resort activities! We loved having our wedding there and our guests and family all loved it too. We will return for anniversaries too! :-)

Sent on 05/23/2017

Tradewinds Island Resorts's reply:

Rachael, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize about the room rates but are pretty normal for March/April spring break :( Come back for a visit soon!

Faith · Married on 11/19/2011

Fantastic intimate spot. We had our wedding on the beach and walked to the reception. It was perfect. We were at the Sandpiper. The rooms are clean but not updated. The employees were excellent. The food was delicious. The bartenders at the pool bar were the best. Besides the rooms, everything was amazing.

Sent on 01/14/2012

Marci and Tyler · Married on 03/21/2010

4.2
      3.5

We had our ceremony at the South Lawn and our reception in the main Ballroom. The service at the wedding was perfect. Renee the wedding planner was great, they were just a few times where it took a while to get a response. Make sure you specifically ask for a queen/king size bes for your honeymoon suite or else you'll get a twin size bed.

Sent on 05/23/2010

taemy · Married on 05/20/2016

I planned my wedding from Texas and they were wonderful to work with. Quick with email responses and professional!

Sent on 08/18/2016
  • Kristen

Kristen · Married on 10/22/2011

3.8
      3.5

Tradewind Resort was exactly what my husband and I were looking for. Beautiful scenery over looking the water. We dealt with Renee from the beginning. We had booked the venue a year out so every time we called or emailed, Renee was always out of the office. She would answer us back within a week and if she didn't we would just email her again. She always answered our questions and was very helpful when we did get a hold of her. Much closer to the wedding she answered our emails right away. I did wish for the amount of money we spent that they would offer more in the sense of decorations but that's my own opinion. Other wise I was very happy with them overall!

Sent on 11/02/2011

Claudia · Married on 10/08/2011

3.6
      3.5

We are from Chicago and decided to have a destination wedding in Florida. From all the resorts in the St Pete Beach area we chose The Tradewinds Island Grand. The resort is beautiful and it is in a perfect location for a beach front Ceremony. They have many different ballrooms for you to choose from, but make sure you make a reservation in advance because it books up very quickly.
    The day of our wedding arrived and we were so excited for the big day and for our dream ceremony facing the beach at the gazebo. Unfortunately, the weather did not help at all with 45 miles per hour winds, so we decided to use the back up room inside at one of the reception halls, which it worked out perfect.
    Our wedding coordinator was Renee Prine, we worked by emails back and forth for 6 months in advance. She is very friendly, professional and answered all of our questions in a timely matter. Unfortunately, the day of our wedding I was very disappointed because they promised us they will be by our side for our special day to take care all the details, but that couldn’t be more farther from the truth. The Tradewinds is such a big resort and they are not afraid to book weddings back to back. We decided not to have a real big wedding, so we had about 50 guests and 6 in the bridal party. Maybe because we did not have a BIG wedding the Tradewinds didn’t think it was as important as a 200 person wedding which it was in the next hall. One of the benefits to hosting your wedding at the Treadewinds Island Resort is they will give you a free one night stay in one of their Honeymoon suites. The suites are very nice and the view is beyond spectacular. However, you would think the honeymoon suite would have a king size bed for your special honeymoon night, but if you thought that, you would be wrong. The room was equipped with two queen size beds.
    The reception hall Jacaranda was awesome and it was setup exactly how I wanted it. They did a great job on the setup, however they forgot another IMPORTANT aspect to our wedding. As many weddings do, we had wedding favors for each guest that came to our wedding. After the ceremony was over I went into the reception hall to see how everything turned out and noticed the big box with all the wedding favors right next to the seating chart table. I could not believe that the favors where not put out for our guest, or at least be asked what to do with them, instead I had to have two or our attending guest put the favors out on the tables as one of banquet employees just stood and watched us. I felt embarrassed that I had to have two of my guest hand out the wedding favors.
    We decided to have a sand ceremony in lure of the traditional candle ceremony which is popular for a beach wedding. You would figure with the amount of money we gave to the Tradewinds that something as simple and important as the sand unity would be taken care of by the staff. The day of wedding my future to be husband had to set up the whole sand ceremony with the Reverend a half hour prior to the Ceremony.
    Another issue that we experienced was with the Bartender who couldn’t have had a worse attitude about being working our reception, even though he was making good money with all our very giving guests, we never had a chance to see any smile coming out from the his face.
    Overall the resort is beautiful and have very friendly Bell staff and front desk agents. The rooms are renovated and clean. I will def recomend this place for a wedding, simply things happen and happened to us. But we had a good time and the pictures taken at the resort came out great.

Sent on 10/20/2011

Kristy · Married on 03/26/2011

3.4
      3.0

I thought my wedding was a dream and I love how beautiful the Trade Winds property is. Dealing with Renee up until the wedding day was wonderful and I thought she did a fantastic job. On the day of the wedding however, she arrived late to take us to the ceremony site, did not have a holding location where we could get a bite to eat, drink or anywhere to bustle my dress (I had to use the bathroom) and never came back to pick the bridal party up to have us introduced into the reception. She is a sweet woman and a very nice lady, but I was disappointed that she was nowhere to be found on the actual wedding day.

Sent on 04/19/2011

Sharmane · Married on 10/12/2012

3.4
      3.5

Julie Manes in Catering is amazing. the banquet staff was not the best at all. The reception execution was not as expected. However, the venue is beautiful.

Sent on 11/07/2012

Liz · Married on 11/21/2009

3.0

The wedding planners were great and the reception was beautiful but we had some major issues with the hotel itself. The night before the wedding there were drunk guests (not with our party) that actually hurled a chair at me from the 5th floor... narrowly missing me. The security at the hotel was VERY slow to respond and not only that... they were not very good at doing anything about it. My dad had to call 911 and file a police report. During the ceremony which was held in their garden courtyard they had assurred us that there would be a security presence to make sure that nobody that was watching from their room balconies would interfere... Needless to say there was no security presence and there was a group of drunk fraternity aged idiots screaming boos and other obscenities during my ceremony. My guests were appalled and I was heartbroken that they ruined MY special moment. And the hotel did nothing to compensate me for any of this... I will NEVER stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

Sent on 12/02/2009

Allison · Married on 10/08/2011

2.6
      2.0

Overall we did not have a very good experience. We fell in love with the beautiful view and scenery and made a choice to use them after realizing how quickly everything books in this area. I felt that leading up to the event questions were not easily answered. It was easiest to write emails as long as you followed up to get a response, and didn't ask multiple questions in one email. Renee was very nice each time I spoke with her, but ultimately didn't know how everything ends up working out, like how it works when you block rooms. I lost sleep over how many rooms I blocked off, and in the end I got a different story from the reservation person in charge of my account. I asked questions to clarify my understanding of the contract at least three times, and in the end their protocol is not what I was told it would be. It worked out in my favor but I should not have had to worry about this, they should have been able to explain it to me. Also, booking the rehearsal if you aren't buying dinner there is not possible, only if space allows I was told. We weren't able to get an estimate of the cost like with other venues. We were given a book with meal prices and told to calculate this ourselves, in the end our estimate was close to what we thought it would be but the menu details weren't accurate. We paid a lot of money for bone in dark meat chicken marsala. We were told that after the reception everything had to come out of the room right away, so I paid a fee before hand to have a bellman take our belongings to our room. We waited for the bellman for over an hour which made us late to our after party, after we were asked to tell them earlier in the day what time we would need him to arrive. He then dropped our sand ceremony and a vase with our flowers in it, making the carpet in our room gross. The room we booked for after the wedding, ended up changing because they changed the description of this type of room. Originally we booked a king size bed, and got two queens because of their change description. We were never able to see the room we booked for the reception because the doors were always locked, and it ended up being a little too small for our guest count and the ceilings were a little low. They encouraged 12 people to sit at 72'' round tables, and really 10 is the max for adults. I had a really hard time getting a room layout a couple of days before the wedding so I would know what to expect for the tables I was going to set up for place cards, gift table etc, which ended up meaning that they didn't deliver the right tables and the linen we ordered didn't fit the tables they had to make up for the missing tables. Before I signed a contract I was told there would be no construction going on in the hotel during my wedding, although my ceremony site was under serious construction, with a fake wall blocking the entire bottom of the building complete with sand bags and a scaffolding that reached to the roof. All of the windows had large blue stickers on them with obvious hollow rooms. It made for not very nice pictures. I was told they would place plants in front of the sand bags, and due to the weather the wind they could not be placed. Like everyone who has an outdoor ceremony we had an alternate site if it rained and the day of realized that the room they booked as our alternate did not have a covered walkway so our guests would get soaked walking from the indoor ceremony site to the reception. You would think they would have encountered this issue before. Therefore, they recommended we hold the ceremony in the reception room and have the guest sit at the tables like they would at the reception. They threw out a large portion of my cake that was left over. I ordered extra cake on purpose and was then told there was none left, which we even had the name of the server that took our cake to the kitchen to be boxed up. I feel like we spent a lot of money at this facility and they acted like their main purpose isn't weddings and if we chose to hold a wedding at their site they weren't going to make sure it went smoothly. There really should be someone that can answer all questions about the wedding process, not just a catering manager as a main contact. Also many of my guest came to breakfast the next morning at Bermudas, and the service was terrible. I called to set this up with the restaurant in advance and they treated us like we had no business there, and the servers were very rude and wouldn't refill our drinks. It is irritating once you have signed a contract and then realize that you aren't getting the service you expected, and in the end you feel like you and your whole family that stayed at the hotel spent a lot of money to be treated like they were doing us a favor letting us have our wedding there. Again, Renee was very nice but just didn't seem to know how things really work when it gets close and you need answers.

Sent on 11/14/2011

2.2
      1.5
      2.0

The resort is beautiful but not worth how expensive everything is! Basically all the cost covers is food. The food was good but not worth $10K! It was hard to get in touch with the same person for each interaction and even though i asked multiple times about time lines and when things needed to be done, I felt it was all rushed at the last minute. I hired the people recommended by them to help for the wedding and they were fantastic. Just not impressed and a little bummed that we couldn't be happier with the experience.

Sent on 08/18/2016

Lani · Married on 11/05/2005

2.2
      1.0

The Tradewinds is a GREAT facility. Its great for a wedding with out of town guests because it is on a beautiful beach and has lots to do without having to get in the car. I had many issues with the staff however, including being misled about certain aspects of our event. The resort also overbooked for the weekend of my wedding, so a lot of the guests who had rooms that I had personally blocked (and had to guarantee with our credit card had they not booked) were actually moved to a different resort. The guests who arrived the day of were moved to the Sirata. This really bothered me because I had out of town bags for everyone with bottles of wine, which they never recieved, yet I was still charged 3$ per room for delivery of the bags.
    I also had to fight with their accounting department for weeks after the event because they mistakenly believed that we still owed them money, even though they had the paperwork in front of them to show that I had paid. They even tried to draft the money out of our account without our permission-luckily they had used an old credit card number that was given at the time of booking and was no longer active. When I tried to speak to the catering manager afterwards, he didn't have much to say about it, basically he just said "tough".

I loved the place; the people that work there could use some work.

Sent on 06/22/2008

Juley-Ann · Married on 11/08/2014

1.6
      0.5
      2.0

The first red flag was when we had an appointment with the catering manager, Julie Manes around noon on a Saturday and she never showed up. After multiple people tried calling her with no response and a lengthy complaint to a man in guest services we had to move on to our next appointment. Being from Chicago, we only had a few days to visit all the places we wanted to. We came back a little later to see if anyone could see us, and as soon as I tried to explain our issue, a lady at the desk started giving me attitude about the situation. I was already upset from earlier and didn't want to argue. She continued to upset me by asking for proof that we ever had an appointment to begin with. I showed her the e-mail convo I had with Julie and the girl said "Oh you're right, I'm wrong" without extending an actual apology. We left, and later my now husband sent out an email to multiple people from the TradeWinds resort including Julie, explaining what happened. We got a response and we were able to make another appointment the day we planned to leave FL, which was far from convenient. The resort was too beautiful to pass up, so despite all of the negativity of the day, we booked our wedding at the TradeWinds resort.

Our frustration only got worse. Julie and the rest of the TradeWinds resort were terrible at communicating with us throughout our planning process. We even made phone appointments with Juile (we let her pick the time and day) and she couldn't call or pick up when we would call. Then we would hear that she was out of town. From not allowing my bridal party to park in the parking lot the night of our wedding rehearsal, to telling me that the open bar I paid for to run until 10:00 would have to close at 8:30 because they decided to open it early, without our permission, since my wedding was moved up, It seemed like everything went wrong.

Our wedding was beautiful, but it had nothing to do with the people of the TradeWinds Resort.

Sent on 02/08/2015

Tradewinds Island Resorts's reply:

Juley-Ann, first let me apologize for what seems to be a misunderstanding. At the time that you started planning and I missed your appointment I had a heart attach the week before. I am guessing that the staff that covered my job while I was away honestly just missed the appointment. I was on medical leave for 3 weeks. I am very glad, however, that your wedding went well. I would never purposely miss an appointment.

Kimmie · Married on 10/11/2008

1.6
      1.0

The Tradewinds Resort is beautiful and there are a lot of positive thing about the actual venue. Having a wedding there is a completely different then staying there on vacation! They nickel and dime you to death!! They had over 30 weddings during the month of October, so basically I was just another wedding and there is nothing personable about the experience. The Catering Manager was extremely rude to me and I did not appreciate that because we spent a lot of money there! Overall, I would not reccommend to get married there!!

Sent on 10/22/2008