Toolbox Art Studio Reviews

57 | Washington, DC

57 Reviews for Toolbox Art Studio

Kimberly · Married on 01/07/2017

Toolbox is a beautiful, fun, and edgy space to have an event, located right in the heart of DC. The versatile space can be transformed into a magical atmosphere using lights, candles, table linens, and flowers, etc. I hosted a party for 70 at Toolbox and couldn't have been more pleased with the space and team that helped make the night a great success. The Toolbox manager, Irina, was so easy and professional to work with, offering a list of vendor choices and party ideas and helping set up and manage the evening. Highly recommend Toolbox for an event!

It's managed by professional,

Sent on 01/11/2017

Matt · Married on 11/12/2016

Toolbox and Irina are superb. The space speaks for itself ... but our friends and family insisted on telling us how much they enjoyed it (urban and romantic). Irina provided the flexibility necessary to essentially do anything we needed with the space. Flexible drop-off time, ample storage and staging space ... and we were able to pick up our things the next day (so weren't running around that night taking stuff home--this is HUGE!). Also, the venue is yours! You don't share the building with anyone else. Its just you, your spouse, and your family and friends.

Irina was incredible. She was flexible, provided guidance and previous best practices in her space and allowed us to use outside vendors to customize as we needed. They have done so many weddings and events there, Toolbox had hundreds if not thousands of photos on Irinia's iPad so you don't have to "think" about what an idea looks like in ToolBox, they will actually pull up an HD photo of it.

Perfect location for a wedding!

--Groom

Sent on 11/22/2016

Chelsea · Married on 09/17/2016

I wish I could give Toolbox and Irina ONE MILLION stars!!! Choosing this venue was the best decision we could've made. Irina is warm, professional, hard working, and I'm convinced she has magical powers - our wedding turned out PHENOMENAL - thanks to her! Right from the start Irina made us feel comfortable and part of the "Toolbox family". I truly mean this when I say she made the wedding planning process easy. We trusted her implicitly and she took all our stress of wedding coordination away. She was helpful with referrals to vendors such as catering companies and DJs. She knows every nook and cranny of the space and was open to incorporating our ideas. This wedding venue is a total hidden gem - tucked away in an alley it's a gorgeous old building with a lot of history. The layout is very neat and the materials of the floor, ceiling, etc. make for a homey ambiance. I cannot imagine having our wedding anywhere else. We had ~75 guests for a buffet dinner and Irina made sure the whole evening ran smoothly. She is kind, patient, genuine, responsive, and trustworthy- I'd have to think she's one of the bests in the business. Very highly recommend this venue, it’s an outstanding value! Thanks, Irina!

Sent on 10/13/2016

Chen · Married on 09/03/2016

Our wedding at Toolbox was PERFECT! We fell in love with this cute art studio the first time we visited and decided to hold our wedding there right away. On top of everything, Irina was the BEST! She was very professional, responsive, and super helpful in making my vision come true. It is definitely a hidden gem in the heart of DC and we would highly recommend it to every happy couple who wants to have a once-a-life-time, memorable and best big day EVER!

Sent on 09/25/2016

Emily · Married on 08/06/2016

This venue was a perfect fit for us! We were looking for a romantic take on an industrial vibe and the Toolbox met and exceeded every expectation. Irina is a gem! She is kind, accommodating, and knowledgeable and will do whatever she needs to do to make the event everything you envisioned. We could not be happier with the venue and with Irina. It was a perfect day!

Sent on 08/22/2016

Pamela · Married on 07/16/2016

My husband and I were married here. Clean space with unique feel. No strings to caters and rental companies, you have the ability to mix and match with no hidden fees (adds to the personal touch). You have the ability to pay for a few parking spots offsite (but very close to the venue) for your wedding party and special guests. The venue also comes with a few rentals.

Finally, there is Irina. She is worth her weight in gold. Very responsive (responds within the hour), professional, and flexible. I couldn't ask for a better coordinator. PERFECT.

Sent on 07/29/2016
  • User6720179 · 2+ years ago

Toolbox was the very first venue we visited when starting to plan our wedding. We immediately fell in love with the space, and as an added bonus we fell in love with Irina, Toolbox's incredible event coordinator. Irina was always kind, patient, extremely responsive, flexible and honest. Toolbox has a packed wedding calendar yet she never let us feel ignored or neglected, even when we had the tiniest question she might have just forgotten about in the midst of her busy schedule. She made the planning process so much easier than it might have been had there not been a person on site to answer questions and make suggestions. She also helped us assemble a team of awesome vendors (caterer, DJ) who knew the space well, so everyone could work together to make our wedding run smoothly and seamlessly.

Chances are we would have picked Toolbox in any event. It is so beautiful and unique. You can make the place your own or you can do very little by way of decorations and still have an absolutely gorgeous atmosphere. But now that the wedding is over and done, I would recommend everyone pick a venue that has someone like Irina on staff to make the process as painless as possible. That Toolbox and Irina go together is truly the dream.

Sent on 05/16/2016

Abbey · Married on 03/26/2016

Had my wedding here on 3/26/16 and Irina was amazing! She was a pleasure during the entire process and really helped in making my vision and dream wedding come true! The space is cool, different and in my favorite part of DC. I loved everything about Toolbox and would recommend it to anyone!

Sent on 04/22/2016

Rachel · Married on 12/31/2015

This place was amazing. The venue is to die for and the event manager, Irina is absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough about how professional and calming and on top of things she is. And she is super nice. My day was absolutely perfection and I owe that all to her. She makes every single penny worth it! The venue is beautiful and it gave us a unique feel for our big day which is exactly what we were going for. I could not be happier.

Sent on 01/05/2016

Christina · Married on 12/27/2015

Toolbox is a beautiful venue. As soon as we saw it, we knew we wanted to have our reception there. It was decorated so beautifully for Christmas with stars and lights everywhere and we were able to choose the art that we wanted on the walls.
    The physical space of Toolbox is great, but in addition to that, Irina made our wedding reception truly special. She made sure that everything went smoothly and that we had nothing to worry about on the day of the wedding. She was easy to work with throughout the entire planning process and was very responsive. The reception was everything I had hoped for! I highly recommend Toolbox. We loved it!

Sent on 01/01/2016

Tracy · event on: 12/05/2015

The Toolbox is a very unique, hidden gem in Washington DC. My guests told me they felt like they were in a secret neighborhood spot that nobody else knew about. The manager, Irina, was a true joy to work with. She is very creative and full of energy. She made my event one of a kind and it felt very personal to me. Thank you so Irina for all of her hard work, above and beyond what was expected.

Sent on 12/10/2015

The Toolbox was the perfect venue for our wedding. We wanted an urban setting, intimate feel, and an industrial/unique environment. The Toolbox offers all of this and more. We were able to have our ceremony upstairs, cocktail hour downstairs, dinner upstairs, and dancing downstairs. It was a seamless transition and the guests were happily drinking, eating, and dancing! We had a donut truck roll into the alley after dinner, which was a HUGE hit! And to top it all off, the venue comes with Irina!! She is extremely organized, communicates immediately, and helped our day go off without a hitch. We couldn't have done it without her. Book The Toolbox if you want a wedding you and your guests will not forget. It's awesome!

Sent on 10/29/2015

Mickie · Married on 10/03/2015

everything about Toolbox is perfect- the location, the gorgeous space inside( with exposed brick walls & big windows for natural light), the professional, friendly and helpful staff and owners who go above and beyond to create your ideal event. you will not find a space in DC with more character or style. it is a great event space for a wedding, corporate event, launch of a new product, special birthday party for family and friends, the list goes on and on!! you must come see the space- you will fall in love with it!

Sent on 10/10/2015

Sarah · Married on 09/26/2015

Toolbox DC is an amazing a unique DC venue with a mix of vintage charm and modern aesthetics. Both our ceremony and reception were at Toolbox, we used the large pilates room upstairs and the entire downstairs for a 100 guest wedding with the smaller yoga room as catering staging. We had the ceremony upstairs, cocktails downstairs, a buffet dinner upstairs, then dessert food truck outside. There was good space for all guests while still feeling like a party. Irina Batchelor the event coordinator was such a pleasure to work with. She listened to our ideas and shared suggestions of the best way to make what we wanted work. She also suggested vendors where we had gaps and all her recommendations were amazing (seriously amazing). She made us feel at ease that no matter what happened she would (and did) deliver an amazing party for us. We really feel we are now a part of the Toolbox family.

Sent on 11/24/2015

Jeff · Married on 09/06/2015

We absolutely loved Toolbox, and are so happy we decided to have our wedding there. A few things in particular that made it the right location for us:
    1) Excellent location, right in the heart of Dupont Circle, but tucked in an alley so you feel you have some privacy.
    2) It's a beautiful space. Two floors, and looks amazing. The pictures on this site look great, but still don't do it justice. And Irina (see below) will help you to decorate the way you want it to look.
    3) IRINA! She helped us to plan and coordinate the ceremony and reception and she is fantastic. It made our lives so much easier knowing that we had a pro on the case.

We are very grateful to Toolbox.

Sent on 10/12/2015

Hannah · Married on 10/25/2014

Toolbox made the absolute perfect venue for our 200-person wedding reception. I can't speak highly enough about the space or the team. We were looking for something funkier than a traditional hotel or wedding venue and Toolbox's gallery vibe with its historic brick walls, reclaimed wood floors, and large glass staircase made for a modern and interesting space. We were even able to pick and choose which paintings by resident artist Kiril Jeliazkov we wanted to have hung and where.

We used all three rooms at Toolbox for our party--the large downstairs gallery and the two upstairs pilates rooms (which were completely cleared out for us). For 200 people, the space was nicely full without feeling too crowded. There are also three bathrooms which worked perfectly for all of our guests. Toolbox is located in an alley behind Connecticut Ave and my only advice would be to encourage people to enter from 19th Street. It can be a bit hard to find but we liked the fact that it was tucked away.

Finally, the team at Toolbox lead by event planner Irina Batchelor helped with everything from facilitating our deliveries to set up the day of our event to even clean up at 2am after our party ended. They were flexible, gracious, and absolutely wonderful to work with the entire time.

Sent on 10/27/2014

Jennifer · Married on 09/20/2014

I fell in love with Toolbox the moment I walked in and knew it would be the perfect place for our wedding. Aside from the amazing building and décor, Irina, the events manager for Toolbox is absolutely amazing. You will never find a more delightful and helpful person who is with you every step of the way and goes above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and satisfied and never worrying about anything. Irina will help you with everything, from picking vendors, setting up appointments, coordinating and emailing with vendors, arranging visits, picking out and setting up decorations and more. She is incredibly responsive whether calling, emailing or swinging by the venue. I never felt more comfortable or in better hands. Not only does she remember and take care of every detail but she is truly excited for your special day and wants it to be more amazing and wonderful than you can ever imagine.

You will not find a more amazing venue in DC. We loved everything about Toolbox, from the modern design and chic décor to the welcoming and flexible staff. The multiple rooms on two levels let you have everything in one place. We had our cocktail hour, ceremony, dinner and reception all at Toolbox which was nice for us and our guests. The brick, glass, and wood make for such a unique facility and make for wonderful pictures. They all turned out amazing. The off street location gives it a coolness factor that cannot be matched. The artwork is an added bonus and was a wonderful addition to our wedding. Our guests cannot stop talking about what an amazing wedding we had and what a unique venue it was. Irina, Toolbox and the rest of the staff will always have a special place in my heart and memories. I can't imagine my wedding without them and I am so thankful I found Toolbox and that Toolbox found Irina. They make for a wonderful and stellar pair.

Sent on 10/27/2014

Chad · Married on 08/30/2014

What a truly incredibly and magical venue! I can easily say that this was one of the best decisions - hands down- that we made for all of our wedding plans. The team at The Toolbox was BEYOND flexible and simply became members of our own family! Honestly, "customer service" doesn't even begin to explain the tremendous care and attention to detail we received throughout the nearly YEAR-long time frame worth of planning with this group.

From the day one, we were welcomed into their space, treated with the utmost respect and actually felt like their team was just as invested in our special day as we were. Irina served as our event coordinator, counselor, confidant and best friend. We were taken aback by the fact that Irina wanted to make our day even better than what we could have imagined -- and even then, she over-delivered!

Our wedding consisted of numerous moving pieces and Irina was on top of everything. From helping coordinate plans with the caterer,secure DC's best mixologist, decorating the venue, choosing the artwork to be displayed during the wedding and allowing us multiple, multiple visits to help prepare and brainstorm - Irina really went above and beyond. She and her team made amazing accommodations for our crazy requests and without ever batting an eye. They were so courteous and gracious at every turn and I hope we get to throw another fun event there.

We highly recommend booking any event at The Toolbox! We can guarantee you will be so impressed with their team and beautiful space. What an extraordinary gem right in the heart of Dupont Circle!!

Sent on 10/06/2014

This is a beautiful and unique setting for a wedding, and an easy location for guests (near hotels, restaurants, etc.). However, the reason that we went with this venue is because Irinia, who coordinates all the events, was amazing. She was so helpful from day one-- gave me lots of great vendor suggestions, advised me on prices, was incredibly responsive, and calmed me down when I was stressed. The whole team there is great and works very hard. They always gave me all the time I needed to meet, talk, and look around the place on several occasions. Toolbox is very flexible and gives you the space to design whatever kind of look/feel you're going for, and they also have lot of creative suggestions. I never for one second worried about Irinia remembering all of the details or dropping the ball. I highly recommend it!

Sent on 09/26/2014

Koki · Married on 00/00/0000

Toolbox was the perfect venue for our company's 10th Anniversary Party. Not only was the space itself gorgeous, Irina, the coordinator was a gem to work with. We had ~150 guests which fit the space perfectly for a cocktail-style event with dance floor. Irina gave us quite a few money saving tips which helped our overall bottom line and went above and beyond for us. Hope to work with her again soon, and will be suggesting to friends and colleagues.

Sent on 10/24/2016

Erin · Married on 10/18/2014

We could not have been more thrilled to work with Irina at Toolbox! The venue checked everything on our must-have list, and our guests couldn't stop talking about how beautiful the space was. Irina was so wonderful and walked us through the space several times to make sure we could accommodate everything we wanted, and she was on-site the day before and all day of our wedding to receive vendors, help with setup, and make sure the wedding went off without a hitch! We're so glad we decided to have our wedding here! Highly, highly recommend!

Sent on 10/07/2016

Dani · Married on 04/12/2014

Toolbox is one venue we knew NOT to go to because it would be the most expensive of all the places we've seen but like fools we went anyway lol. As soon as we saw those beautiful burnt orange doors and walked inside to those AMAZING hardwood floors, exposed brick walls and beams; we were SOLD! Irina's beautiful and warm smile definitely suckered us in too!

From our first contact Irina was so relaxed, calming and reassuring that it would be an amazingly beautiful event and she was right. She allowed us to hold a couple of meetings in the space so our vendors could get a feel for it and replied to every email and text I sent without missing a beat. She didnt hesitate to offer her opinion on the minor decorative additions to the space to make it even more appealing. Toolbox is such a beautiful venue that it doesnt need much decorating - the only additions we made were a few uplights on the dance floor to tie in the red color scheme. What's super cool too is you're allowed to pick the art work you'd like displayed on your wedding day from the amazing artist Kiril Jeliazkov (also an owner of Toolbox). Of course with everything going on we completely forgot. but Irina, like the superwoman she is, chose absolutely lovely photos of couples which were very beautiful and sexy.

What really made me give Toolbox 5 stars for flexibility, quality of service and responsiveness is the fact that our outdoor ceremony was supposed to be rained out. We kept a seriously close eye on the weather, as any couple getting married outside would. Evenup until the day before, we were hoping to have it outside but unfortunately the weather gods were not playing nice. However, Irina and the owners were gracious enough to allow us to have our 15-20 min ceremony upstairs. They will never know how sincerely appreciative we are for this kind gesture.

Irina and Toolbox DC - you guys are absolutely amazing and thank you SO MUCH for everything you did for us on our wedding day!

D&G

Sent on 05/08/2015

Philip · Married on 10/20/2018

Unbelievably special venue

We held our entire wedding at Toolbox - ceremony and reception - for about 115 guests. Those looking for mid-sized DC venues need not look any further; just take a visit and look at the beautiful space. Alex was great to work with and made the experience feel really special for us. They were extremely flexible and helpful throughout the planning process and leading up to the wedding, and allowed our vendors the space they needed. We had so many compliments from our guests about the space, and we loved the art exhibition that was downstairs. Overall it was an incredibly special night in our city made even more special by Toolbox.

Sent on 12/03/2018

Meredith · Married on 01/27/2018

We viewed what seemed like every possible wedding venue in DC. After stepping foot inside Toolbox, no other venue could compare. For anyone who is looking for a warm and cozy space to host a wedding that will be uniquely yours, this is it. In addition to the gorgeous exposed brick, hardwood floors, and stunning artwork, the service of the staff here is unmatched. During our original meeting with Alex, he showed us around the venue, and spent about 2 hours with us talking over options for decorating, sharing personal stories and laughter, and making us feel at home. In addition, he shared valuable money-saving advice to help reduce wedding costs. Did I mention this was BEFORE we had a contract?
    We also chose to hire Irina as our Day of Coordinator. This was the BEST decision we made for our wedding. If you're DIYing it, and it is your first wedding, you may have several questions about timelines, negotiating with vendors, etc. Irina and the Toolbox crew were always available to answer questions for us, and help think through the logistics of the day. She was an invaluable resource to have in the planning process - I cannot imagine doing it without her!!!
    W already loved Toolbox for its charm, but when we arrived for the wedding, we were absolutely blown away. The space looked unbelievable! Irina's hard work and attention to detail really paid off - everything looked amazing, was impeccably designed, and in order. She helped coordinate the efforts of our other vendors so it all came together perfectly. She and the Toolbox crew did everything they could to make sure the event was exactly what we wanted and totally worry-free. We couldn't have asked for anything more.
    Aside from us, so many of our guests fell in love with the space - we received so many compliments on the venue's unique and quirky characteristics that made it so unique, cozy, and fun! It was such an amazing night, and we have the Toolbox Team to thank!

Sent on 02/20/2018

Morgan · Married on 10/08/2016

Irina is amazing and completely dedicated to helping you have the best event possible! As long as your event can handle guests being split between two floors (this was perfect for dividing the craziness of the dance party and the calmness of dinner for our guests), then this place is awesome! Definitely encourage everyone to get there via metro or Uber as there is no parking, but the location is so incredibly accessible that it shouldn't be an issue for most folks. All of our guests are still talking about how great the venue was, and when it rained all day we sure were glad we picked an all-indoor space!

Sent on 10/12/2016