Toolbox Art Studio Reviews

45 | Washington, DC

45 Reviews for Toolbox Art Studio

Katherine · Married on 12/01/2018

Beautiful, Unusual Soace

We had wanted an "all in one" space for our wedding and reception, that was unusual, and the Toolbox provided it. It can be slightly difficult to find, but it was a gorgeous space and totally worth it!

Alex (the owner) and his family take the time to give you ideas, they do amazing work at the space to make it feel beautiful and special, and the vendors the suggest give you a leg up on the wedding planning while.providing exceptional service.

Leah · Married on 06/23/2018

Toolbox is a unique, beautiful venue, and I couldn't be happier we chose it for our wedding day.

From our first meeting with Alex, I knew we were in good hands. He is so responsive, and takes lots of time to answer questions, and is continuously in contact from the visit until the wedding day. He really understands his space, and knows what will work perfectly to make it a beautiful day.

Lana, our day-of coordinator, was a huge asset as well. We did not have a wedding planner, but hiring her to coordinate on-site the day of the wedding was such a good decision. She was really involved with everything going on, and her preparation at our rehearsal on Friday made everything go smoothly. She worked seamlessly with all of the vendors, and as I told her, if anything was going on behind-the-scenes, I had no idea about it! It was all perfect, and her help was a major part of that.

I would highly recommend Toolbox to anyone planning a wedding in DC. The staff and the space will make for a wonderful wedding day that your friends and family will be talking about for a long, long time.

Sunny · Married on 11/11/2017

I don't even know where to begin with all these good (and only good) things to say about Toolbox. Irina was the event manager we worked closely with was simply amazing to work with. On our first meeting, she was providing information about the venue and walking us through a some of the successful weddings & events they've had. After we saw the venue, we canceled venue visits we had planned and immediately booked Toolbox. Throughout the 1 year period of planning, we've been in touch with Irina and Alex several times and they were so helpful and patient with us each and every time. We also ended up booking the DJ and Caterers they recommended and the wedding day was absolutely flawless in every sense. We hired Irina to be our day of coordinator. My bridesmaids were amazed with Irina's proactive attitude and how in-tune she was with our vision for decorations and set ups. I walked in to the venue for the ceremony, and then once again for entering cocktail hour feeling overwhelmed with joy. All throughout reception, our guests had raving things to say about how unique and beautiful the venue was. All I can say is, my dreams came true and I had a wedding day even more perfect than what I ever imagined. I wish I could plan another wedding or other big events at Toolbox just to re-live that day. I will forever thank Irina for having such a help in creating the best day of my life. Thank you, Toolbox. <3

Andrew · Married on 10/07/2017

We had an incredible experience with the Toolbox from the moment we stepped in the door more than a year ago. First of all, the space is just beautiful and requires almost no additional decoration. It's cozy, comfortable, and versatile. We had 88 guests and it felt just right, but could easily have accommodated more without feeling overcrowded. It's also cool that food trucks can pull up outside, which we did for dessert. But what really sold us on the Toolbox was Irina Batchelor. Even before we decided to hold our wedding there, she was sharing tips and wedding planning advice to use anywhere. Throughout the yearlong planning process she was incredibly responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful. She made us feel confident that everything was coming together as it should. We so little stress about our event thanks to her! If you pick the Toolbox, also hire Irina as your day-of coordinator. You won't regret it. Everything will go smoothly and you'll have much less to worry about.

Krista · Married on 09/30/2017

This was the most dreamy, modern, fantastic venue! If you don’t want the quintessential DC stuffy columns and lots of ornate carpeting and drapery, this is your place! It’s magical and can be a blank canvas for anything you can imagine. I also had the pleasure of working with Irina, who truly made the experience for me. I can never thank her enough for making my wedding day come to life and go off without any problem. Love the Toolbox, book this venue!

Emily · Married on 09/16/2017

Toolbox was perfect! The venue is unique and beautiful and everyone had a great time. Irina is amazing and made sure everything ran smoothly for us the night of. They also provided us with a list of vendors they like, but aren't required, and we used everyone they recommended.

Mary · Married on 09/03/2017

I don't even know where to start. The whole team at Toolbox made us feel like our wedding was the utmost importance. We also really appreciated the great advice, troubleshooting, and consultation from Alex and Irina. The toolbox is a piece of art in and of itself so very little decorating is needed. We opted for a day of coordinator through Toolbox. We are so happy we did because Crystal Nkwocha was a life saver before, during, and after the wedding. Thank you so much for making our special day so magical!

Ashley · Married on 07/01/2017

Best wedding venue EVER! Pretty sure every single one of my guests commented on how unique it was, how beautiful and elegant the brick walls and cafe lights were, and how awesome all the bright artwork is (and it gave guests something to look at pre-ceremony and during cocktail hour!). It is extremely easy to customize your wedding at this venue--mine was really small (but neither floor felt empty even with only 60ish people), but with two floors and three rooms, it would be easy to do a larger event. The brick walls and hardwood floors go with whatever style of decor you want and you can choose all of your own vendors. They have a wide array of existing relationships with caterers, party suppliers, etc and each of my vendors said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, we love working with the staff at Toolbox." The staff at Toolbox itself is amazing--Irina in particular, but Alex, his wife, the bodyguards on-site during the event, etc are all so nice. Irina had so many suggestions and worked really hard to make my sometimes difficult multicultural vision come to fruition. I totally trusted her to be constructive and honest (about her opinions, style, and about pricing and vendors). She helped us save money with our vendors by suggesting a lighting place online and she set up the lights herself and by connecting us with wholesale alcohol (Ace Beverages). The venue itself is pricey, but very much in line with venues in the DC area and you absolutely get your money's worth because they provide many tables, linens, and some decor and because Irina has great suggestions to help budget. The preparation was so collaborative and everyone was on the same page in advance, during the rehearsal, and most importantly, day of. Please note the venue is bit tricky to find, but is beautiful and charming and easily accessed from the metro. I put a map on my wedding website to help guests find it.

Nicole · Married on 05/28/2017

After looking at a ton of gorgeous, traditional wedding venues, I was feeling really confused and stressed out about finding a wedding venue that felt right for my husband and I. The second we walked in to Toolbox I was sold.
    The Toolbox is a really cool, industrial space that is hidden in Dupont Circle. Irina gave us a tour of the space and ended up suggesting that we consider doing a partial seated dinner with seating for 60% of guests. We didn't want to deal with seating charts and doing all of the traditional wedding motions and Irina was key in facilitating that. She had some fantastic ideas as to how to help the night run smoothly and everything ended up being perfect. The venue was gorgeous and the upstairs area sat 130 guests comfortably. The whole night was perfect. I absolutely recommend this space to anyone looking for something unique!

Kasia · Married on 05/20/2017

We could not have asked for a better venue for our May 20, 2017 wedding!!! If you've been, you know the space is beautiful and far from your typical ballroom. Toolbox was perfect to bring our industrial glam look to life!

Alex, Irina, and Crystal were a dream to work with! From day one - all the way through wedding day - their focused was on us, ensuring everything was perfect! They were always sharing wonderful vendors and ideas, but also allowed us to bring a lot of our own unique ideas to life. No matter how crazy the idea, they did everything to make it a reality. Our ceremony and reception would not have been uniquely ours, if not for Team Toolbox!

We could not give a higher recommendation for those looking at Toolbox for a wedding, or any other type of event!!

Tara · Married on 05/13/2017

Toolbox Art Gallery was high on our list when looking for a wedding venue in DC because of its location, its having two floors to work with for different parts of the reception, and because we wouldn't need to do much decorating as the space is great on its own. Once we visited Toolbox, it was catapulted right to the top of the list! The reasons were:
    1. The space is awesome - warm and inviting with a bit of an edge (at least for DC) and great art.
    2. Irina (works there, we hired her to be our Day Of Planner) - friendly, relaxed, accommodating, and on point! She cares about the space and about your party being a great time for everyone. I didn't have a moment's hesitation in trusting her to take care of everything and have our reception run smoothly. And on the day, everything ran beautifully and everyone had a great time and neither my husband nor I had to worry about a thing.
    3. Irina - she is super supportive, responsive, and informed; gave us great suggestions throughout the planning process on important points like other vendors, timing, and how to move guests from one space to another without dividing the crowd; took care of details needed for the other vendors; and even created lovely centerpieces for the cocktail hour and dinner!
    4. We were able to have the cocktail hour on the first floor and enter from the stairs above which was fun. For dinner, Irina gracefully moved everyone upstairs to a beautifully decorated room and tables, then back downstairs for dessert and dancing.
    5. One of the things The Olds really liked was that on the first floor, even with the dance music going full blast, people were able to talk easily at the other end of the room by the bar...something for everyone :)

Throughout the evening, people kept commenting to us on what a great space Toolbox was and how they wished they'd known about it before. Basically, we would choose Toolbox again in a heartbeat!

Carole · Married on 05/06/2017

Fantastic venue for our daughter's bat mitzvah party!! Everyone at Toolbox was so incredibly helpful and responsive. We can't imagine a better value or experience. We highly recommend Toolbox for your special event!!!

Jane · Married on 04/08/2017

Toolbox Art Studio was the perfect place for our wedding. On our initial visit, Irina was friendly, warm, and super helpful. She even followed up in an email with a list of her recommended vendors (some of which we went with) and other logistical information that made the planning so much easier. Irina was also always easy to reach and extremely supportive and helpful.
    On our wedding day, Toolbox looked incredible. We really didn't have to do much decorating, as the space looks beautiful with the lights, exposed brick walls, and artwork downstairs. We highly recommend hiring Irina for the day of coordinator, as she took care of everything and made the ceremony and reception run smoothly.
    We couldn't be happier with our experience at Toolbox and highly recommend others use it for their events as well!

Miriam · Married on 02/25/2017

Although we weren't able to use the Toolbox, we loved the venue and would have loved to have our wedding there. Alex was very accommodating and kind. The venue is beyond beautiful and has plenty of room for a small intimate wedding. Located in downtown D.C. it's in an amazing spot. Please consider the Toolbox for any of your events.

Kimberly · Married on 01/07/2017

Toolbox is a beautiful, fun, and edgy space to have an event, located right in the heart of DC. The versatile space can be transformed into a magical atmosphere using lights, candles, table linens, and flowers, etc. I hosted a party for 70 at Toolbox and couldn't have been more pleased with the space and team that helped make the night a great success. The Toolbox manager, Irina, was so easy and professional to work with, offering a list of vendor choices and party ideas and helping set up and manage the evening. Highly recommend Toolbox for an event!

It's managed by professional,

Matt · Married on 11/12/2016

Toolbox and Irina are superb. The space speaks for itself ... but our friends and family insisted on telling us how much they enjoyed it (urban and romantic). Irina provided the flexibility necessary to essentially do anything we needed with the space. Flexible drop-off time, ample storage and staging space ... and we were able to pick up our things the next day (so weren't running around that night taking stuff home--this is HUGE!). Also, the venue is yours! You don't share the building with anyone else. Its just you, your spouse, and your family and friends.

Irina was incredible. She was flexible, provided guidance and previous best practices in her space and allowed us to use outside vendors to customize as we needed. They have done so many weddings and events there, Toolbox had hundreds if not thousands of photos on Irinia's iPad so you don't have to "think" about what an idea looks like in ToolBox, they will actually pull up an HD photo of it.

Perfect location for a wedding!

--Groom

Chelsea · Married on 09/17/2016

I wish I could give Toolbox and Irina ONE MILLION stars!!! Choosing this venue was the best decision we could've made. Irina is warm, professional, hard working, and I'm convinced she has magical powers - our wedding turned out PHENOMENAL - thanks to her! Right from the start Irina made us feel comfortable and part of the "Toolbox family". I truly mean this when I say she made the wedding planning process easy. We trusted her implicitly and she took all our stress of wedding coordination away. She was helpful with referrals to vendors such as catering companies and DJs. She knows every nook and cranny of the space and was open to incorporating our ideas. This wedding venue is a total hidden gem - tucked away in an alley it's a gorgeous old building with a lot of history. The layout is very neat and the materials of the floor, ceiling, etc. make for a homey ambiance. I cannot imagine having our wedding anywhere else. We had ~75 guests for a buffet dinner and Irina made sure the whole evening ran smoothly. She is kind, patient, genuine, responsive, and trustworthy- I'd have to think she's one of the bests in the business. Very highly recommend this venue, it’s an outstanding value! Thanks, Irina!

Chen · Married on 09/03/2016

Our wedding at Toolbox was PERFECT! We fell in love with this cute art studio the first time we visited and decided to hold our wedding there right away. On top of everything, Irina was the BEST! She was very professional, responsive, and super helpful in making my vision come true. It is definitely a hidden gem in the heart of DC and we would highly recommend it to every happy couple who wants to have a once-a-life-time, memorable and best big day EVER!

Emily · Married on 08/06/2016

This venue was a perfect fit for us! We were looking for a romantic take on an industrial vibe and the Toolbox met and exceeded every expectation. Irina is a gem! She is kind, accommodating, and knowledgeable and will do whatever she needs to do to make the event everything you envisioned. We could not be happier with the venue and with Irina. It was a perfect day!

Pamela · Married on 07/16/2016

My husband and I were married here. Clean space with unique feel. No strings to caters and rental companies, you have the ability to mix and match with no hidden fees (adds to the personal touch). You have the ability to pay for a few parking spots offsite (but very close to the venue) for your wedding party and special guests. The venue also comes with a few rentals.

Finally, there is Irina. She is worth her weight in gold. Very responsive (responds within the hour), professional, and flexible. I couldn't ask for a better coordinator. PERFECT.

• User6720179 · 2+ years ago

Toolbox was the very first venue we visited when starting to plan our wedding. We immediately fell in love with the space, and as an added bonus we fell in love with Irina, Toolbox's incredible event coordinator. Irina was always kind, patient, extremely responsive, flexible and honest. Toolbox has a packed wedding calendar yet she never let us feel ignored or neglected, even when we had the tiniest question she might have just forgotten about in the midst of her busy schedule. She made the planning process so much easier than it might have been had there not been a person on site to answer questions and make suggestions. She also helped us assemble a team of awesome vendors (caterer, DJ) who knew the space well, so everyone could work together to make our wedding run smoothly and seamlessly.

Chances are we would have picked Toolbox in any event. It is so beautiful and unique. You can make the place your own or you can do very little by way of decorations and still have an absolutely gorgeous atmosphere. But now that the wedding is over and done, I would recommend everyone pick a venue that has someone like Irina on staff to make the process as painless as possible. That Toolbox and Irina go together is truly the dream.

Abbey · Married on 03/26/2016

Had my wedding here on 3/26/16 and Irina was amazing! She was a pleasure during the entire process and really helped in making my vision and dream wedding come true! The space is cool, different and in my favorite part of DC. I loved everything about Toolbox and would recommend it to anyone!

Christina · Married on 12/27/2015

Toolbox is a beautiful venue. As soon as we saw it, we knew we wanted to have our reception there. It was decorated so beautifully for Christmas with stars and lights everywhere and we were able to choose the art that we wanted on the walls.
    The physical space of Toolbox is great, but in addition to that, Irina made our wedding reception truly special. She made sure that everything went smoothly and that we had nothing to worry about on the day of the wedding. She was easy to work with throughout the entire planning process and was very responsive. The reception was everything I had hoped for! I highly recommend Toolbox. We loved it!

The Toolbox was the perfect venue for our wedding. We wanted an urban setting, intimate feel, and an industrial/unique environment. The Toolbox offers all of this and more. We were able to have our ceremony upstairs, cocktail hour downstairs, dinner upstairs, and dancing downstairs. It was a seamless transition and the guests were happily drinking, eating, and dancing! We had a donut truck roll into the alley after dinner, which was a HUGE hit! And to top it all off, the venue comes with Irina!! She is extremely organized, communicates immediately, and helped our day go off without a hitch. We couldn't have done it without her. Book The Toolbox if you want a wedding you and your guests will not forget. It's awesome!