The West End Ballroom Reviews

66 Reviews for The West End Ballroom

• Madeline

Madeline Gehr · Getting married on 11/01/2020

Such a wonderful venue!

I just wanted to thank you again for all you did for our wedding. We had so many compliments about the venue and the service and everything that The West End provided. You guys were all beyond great and Logan and I can't thank you enough for making our day so memorable. And thank you so much for working so hard on the bridal suite! It was a perfect set up for the day and we had a blast getting ready in there! Thank you again for everything and making this planning process go so smoothly!

Sent on 03/03/2020
  • Noel

Noel Dawson · Married on 04/26/2019

The West End Ballroom is so beautiful and unique

We had our wedding reception at the West End Ballroom on April 26th 2018 and it was amazing!!!. Working with Natalia was great!! She kept the lines of communication open so that we could have the wedding of our dreams. We used the bottom space as our cocktail hour and the upstairs ballroom as our reception area. The whole building was gorgeous and elegant we could not have asked for a more beautiful space. The included up lighting really set the ambiance and lit up marquee was so unique and charming. Natalia and the West End ballroom were flexible and willing to accommodate our ideas and make this wedding awesome. During the night of the wedding Natalia was present and attentive making sure everything went well. We are so grateful for the awesome wedding and the great experience we had.

Sent on 06/29/2019

Kelsey · Married on 10/06/2017

The West End is a beautiful venue with lots of charm. It worked out well for my daughters wedding. We liked that this venue has a space for the ceremony and a separate space for the reception. We worked with Lauren all the way through the process. She was always so helpful and professional. Great experience!

Sent on 10/22/2017

Matthew · Married on 08/19/2017

From our initial tour of the venue through to our wedding day, Jennifer, Amber, and Lauren with West End Ballroom were nothing short of amazing. They guided my wife and I through every stage of the process, including connecting us with Susan at the Portland Clinic across the street to rent their lot for our guests, and we can't thank them enough for connecting us with our incredible caterers, Catering Beyond Borders, and Powers Photography Studios, easily the best photography studio in Portland!

The venue itself is stunning both inside and out, and, being a former movie theatre, suited both our guest count and our Bollywood theme perfectly. We had been committed to having our ceremony outdoors, only utilizing one of West End's two ballrooms for our reception but, after the confusing, convoluted nightmare of working with Portland Parks and Recreation and their long list of nonsensical rules and regulations, we opted to have our ceremony there, as well, and Lauren and her team were happy to accommodate us at no additional cost.

They were beyond kind, even going so far as to stay camped at the front door the whole evening to ensure no uninvited guests wandered in and helping us, our family, guests, and caterers clean up at the end of the evening. We couldn't have been happier with our experience at the West End Ballroom and thank them for hosting our wedding and making it even better than we could have imagined!

Sent on 10/14/2017

Carly · Married on 06/10/2017

I loved having my wedding ceremony and reception at the West End Ballroom. The staff was very responsive and attentive. Throughout the year, the venue will host Open House sessions. I brought my vendors to a few of these to take measurements, scope out the kitchen set up, etc. I didn't use one of the preferred caterers, so I had to pay an opt-out fee, which was totally fine. On the day of the wedding, the photo booth machine didn't work and the normal operator was out sick. This was a bummer, but the staff was great about refunding that portion of cost in a timely manner. What I love about this venue is that the reception ballroom requires very minimal decoration because it is so beautiful! I also love that the ceremony and reception take place in two separate rooms, which avoids catering to have to do a 'flip' during the cocktail hour. I can't recommend this venue enough!

Sent on 06/30/2017

tara · Married on 11/18/2016

This venue is amazing for so many reasons. I could go on and on but will only give you my two important reasons why The West End Ballroom was the perfect choice for us. I wanted a venue that was easy for the guest to find parking and could hold the ceremony and reception together so no one had to travel. This was perfect because the ceremony is downstairs and the reception is upstairs. There is even an area for the cocktail hour! Having been to four other weddings this summer, we knew we had to make ours stand out and this was the perfect venue. We had never expected to get so many compliments on our wedding but even two weeks later we are still being told how fun and beautiful our wedding and venue was. Not to mention, that we had the best wedding they many had been to. {That was obviously my goal since there were so many this year ) Another important part of this venue is that you do not have to decorate very much. This venue is so pretty on its own that you only need some flowers, candles, and maybe some table runners if you desire. Its gorgeous!

Sent on 12/04/2016
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 10/29/2016

Once we saw the West End Ballroom, we knew we had found our venue! Our wedding was 10/29/2016 and you never know what the weather may be like at the end of October so we loved that everything was inside as well as that the ceremony and reception space was in the same place. The venue has a very classy elegance by itself so it doesn’t need much decoration but it is also neutral enough that you could do whatever theme/decorations you wanted in the space.

Our venue coordinator Lauren was wonderful! She answered all my emails completely and in a very timely manner and always had suggestions if I was a little lost for some of our decisions.

Everything turned out perfect the day of the wedding and I can’t say thank you enough!!

The only downside to the venue is that it is not ADA accessible. Bonus though – we were able to rent out the parking lot across the street (the parking lot for the Portland Clinic) so that our guests did not have to worry about trying to park downtown Portland on a Saturday night.

Sent on 11/06/2016
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 10/17/2016

I had my wedding here almost a month ago and let me tell you I am so happy I did. We originally weren’t looking to get married in downtown (we specifically tried to stay away thanks to parking and older guests who have problems with directions) but when we found this place all that went out the window. Not only is it pretty darn easy to get to, there are 3 different parking lots surrounding it as well as plenty of on street parking. Though the outside is semi unassuming, the ballroom is beautiful and the ceremony space (while kind of flat looking initially) is beautiful and full of potential. The alleyway is adorable and a nice place to have a quite cute moment with your new spouse and the side room is awesome if your bridal party needs to throw their stuff some place, plus there’s a tv in there so you could go or route and hook up a PS3 so you have an escape from all your guests if need be.
    Lauren was our point person for the space and I cannot say enough wonderful things about her. Not only did she keep me on track when I kept forgetting payments or due dates for info, she was patient and sweet and a calming presence day of. When we got there and realized catering had forgotten a table she was totally chill about making sure it got put up. I never felt like there was something I couldn’t ask nor did I ever feel like I needed to push for things. Without Lauren I would have been a chicken without my head.
    All in all, this venue wasn’t what we were looking for at all, but it was exactly what we needed and I couldn’t be happier we picked it. Definitely at least a look if you are planning a wedding!

Sent on 11/18/2016

Jessica · Married on 05/20/2016

This is going to be my venue on may 20th 2016 and I'm so thrilled. They have a great deal on the place, plus the coordinator there helps so much with everything.

Sent on 10/20/2015

Kolbi · Married on 05/14/2016

We can truly say we had our dream wedding thanks to Lauren and the West End Ballroom! The space was perfect for us - we utilized the lower ballroom for cocktail hour and the upstairs ballroom for dinner and dancing. The space was perfect to achieve our vision of an intimate wedding while not feeling crammed into a space. It was great having separate spaces within one venue that allowed our guests to visit, dance, sit and chat, or stand outside to cool off. We highly recommend the West End to those looking for the perfect venue for their big day. Lauren is phenomenal to work with - responsive, provides fantastic advice for what works and doesn't work with the space, and extremely easy to work with. Our guests have been raving about the venue.

Sent on 06/05/2016

Heather & Alex · Married on 10/16/2015

We LOVED the West End Ballroom! This venue was perfect for the style of wedding we were shooting for -- the venue is gorgeous and perfect size for a wedding of 200 people. Also, it is great because you can do both the ceremony & reception in the same place. I really appreciate how responsive Lauren (West End rep) was with emails and keeping us up to date on the event timeline details. If you are looking for the perfect venue and a reasonable price, the West End fits the bill! I also really liked how the West End shares information about partner vendors, this really helped me narrow down my search for a photographer, DJ and caterer, all of which also did an amazing job! I recommend Chef de Jour Catering, Powers Studios & Encore Mobile DJs! Our Wedding was perfect and West End helped make this happen! We had a 50/60s old Hollwood, vintage style wedding, the venue was perfect for our theme and gave us the elegance too that we wanted. I am very happy & thankful to West End & vendors for making my day perfect & a wedding to remember!

Sent on 11/11/2015

Kim · Married on 09/05/2015

Where can I begin in expressing how amazing this Venue is?

From the moment I found the West End Ballroom online I knew I was in love with it and had to get married here.
    Pictures can not even do it justice.
    The ceremony is downstairs and the reception upstairs.
    This made it so convenient instead of having to drive to two different locations.
    As the bride I had a whole room upstairs blocked off for me and my bridesmaids to get ready.
    It has a gorgeous balcony in the front and a hidden ally way in the back for guest to get fresh air.

Lauren helped us along our whole journey.
    She was the sweetest and was ALWAYS available when I had any questions or concerns.
    This venue has such a special vide to it, I cannot say enough how perfect and beautiful it is, not to mention how stunning our pictures came out form it.
    I HIGHLY recommend this venue!

Sent on 09/15/2015

tamara · Married on 08/01/2015

The West End Ballroom was the perfect venue for our wedding! Lauren was so helpful and easy to get ahold of! Absolutely loved how everything turned out!

Sent on 08/16/2015

Rana · Married on 07/20/2015

The best thing about the venue is it's simple beauty. Both the downstairs and upstairs rooms are gorgeous, but can also be used as a blank slate to create your perfect vision. If you don't want to add much, the 1920s beauty will fill the room; or you can do what we did, and build your dream space. The draw initially was that the ceremony and reception could be held in the same building, in two separate spaces: no room flip, and no awkward transporting the guests from one venue to another.
    My husband loved the logistics, and I loved the vision the space gave me. We used the downstairs room for our ceremony, decorated with lighting (candles and uplighting). The upstairs lounge area was where we held the cocktail hour, and then the ballroom was where we held the reception. Guests could enjoy a breeze on the balcony, or hang out in the cool alleyway (which is gorgeous for photos). Everyone was floored with the space, and were glad to be able to park in one place for the whole day (there is a parking lot across the street $5 all day parking).
    Working with the staff (shout out to Lauren, Travis, Amber, and Erin) was great. They answered all our questions immediately, were very sweet, and helped make the day go seamlessly. Getting everything set up with other vendors coming and going was very easy and they had no problems with us bringing in a few extra decorations to set up last minute on our own.
    Price-wise we were so happy. For two rooms, for ten hours, on a Monday, and booking within two weeks after visiting the venue we got some great discounts! Payment was easy, and we paid the full amount early just to get it out of the way.
    Keep in mind, you buy wine through the West End or pay a fee for outside wine. For us it wasn't too much of an issue, because the price wasn't bad, and we could bring in as much beer as we wanted.
    Over all, we loved it all!

Sent on 07/22/2015

West End Ballroom was the perfect location for us. When had viewed a few other locations before we stumbled across West End. The moment we walked in we knew it was what we wanted. The ballroom is an old theater turned ballroom. The inside is dark, kitschy, and romantic - very Portland. It is conveniently located near a Max TriMet stop. The staff at West End were very kind and helpful. I emailed them ... oh probably a MILLION times ... and Lauren was kind enough to reply to EVERY one. They were accommodating with us using an outside caterer (with a fee) and despite a few bumps it all worked out great! I love that they have a built in photo booth and our guests couldn't get enough. West End is well connected with other vendors which is great because it gets you some discounts. Few downsides: the air conditioning was broken and it was a hot day (BUT they pulled out a bunch of big fans right away to cool the place down), there are no elevators so elderly guests will have to take the stairs, though the space holds up to 200 the downstairs (if you are using it for your ceremony) cannot accommodate that many - there are only 85? chairs for the downstairs. Overall I am so happy we chose West End and I highly recommend them!

Sent on 08/18/2015

Brooke · Married on 05/24/2015

Great venue and the staff is amazing. Lauren was very helpful and we loved working with her. The place looks amazing when done up and we really enjoyed holding both the ceremony and reception in the same location. This allowed us to get the party going very quickly and many of our guests commented that this convenience was really appreciated. We had roughly ~130 guests and that seemed to be a very appropriate size for the venue in order to have a good sized dance floor. I would suggest not going above 150 even though it's possible, but it depends if a big dance floor is something you want.

One item to consider when booking is that this is not a wheelchair accessible venue, so just make sure you don't have any limitations with your guests. Also, there is basically only one bathroom downstairs available, but that didn't seem to be an issue for our guests.

We're very happy to have booked the Westend and will be recommending to other couples we know that are looking for a place to host their special day. We really liked the location, staff, and value.

Sent on 12/30/2015

James · Married on 05/02/2015

The West End Ballroom was the PERFECT spot for our dream wedding! Our fabulous wedding planer (Molli @ Soiree Weddings) recommended Lauren and this great space and we fell in love. This old theater building is so charming and offers everything you need in a venue. Like most couples, we held our wedding ceremony downstairs and our reception upstairs (no flipping a space or moving locations required). Lauren and team made us feel like royalty from day one and er could not recommend West End more.

We were able to take advantage of several discounts (sign early, payoff early, etc.) and that made our dream venue very affordable. If we had to do it all over again, we would choose the West End Ballroom, every single time. We had 200+ guests, attendants, and service professionals and we all fit perfectly.

Do yourself a favor and sign this magical space for your dream event!

-James and Bobby Waldner

Sent on 08/19/2015

Kelsey · Married on 04/25/2015

The West End Ballroom is a great choice for a wedding venue! We're very happy with the outcome of our wedding day. The venue is beautiful and the style was perfect for us. It was incredibly affordable, considering it's a ceremony and reception location all in one. The support staff was so helpful and responded quickly. This venue is the only one that we found that offered as many available hours for the night, so our only regret was not booking them for the full time!

Sent on 07/25/2014

We had our beautiful wedding at West End this past December. It accommodated all of our guests and was perfect to have our wedding downstairs and our reception upstairs so we didn't have to have everyone transport to somewhere else. Throughout the process, I must have sent a hundred emails with questions or concerns and every one of them had a quick response with answers that I needed. They were flexible with circumstances that came up and I loved that someone was there the night of to make sure everything went smoothly. I also liked how they had someone at the door all night to make sure nothing fishy happened! I saved a ton of money with discounts and deals they had and I got so many compliments with how beautiful the setting was and how fun the built in photo booth was! I totally recommend this venue for anyone looking for a classy Portland wedding and a beautiful landscape of vintage quality! Thanks West End!!

Sent on 12/19/2014

I'm so excited to have this as my wedding venue! This place is gorgeous!! Lauren is great! She knows her stuff! The decor and way that it is setup is amazing! LOVE IT!

Sent on 12/07/2014

Aubrey · Married on 10/03/2014

The West End Ballroom was the perfect place for my husband and I to get married. The staff there is incredibly helpful with planning and figuring out details. They are there whenever you need them. The ballroom has its own character and I just loved that you didn't need to bring a ton of decorations to dress it up, it already is a classic setting for a wedding. Out caterer, florist and venue were all perfect and I could not imagine getting married anywhere else. Thank you West End Ballroom!

Sent on 10/17/2014

dallanna · Married on 09/27/2014

We searched high and low untill we came across this beautiful place! Ceremony and reception in one and even though I highly dislike driving to Portland, it was super easy to find it and it doesn't hurt that there is ample street parking and parking lots all around. Throughout the whole experience Lauren was my girl and I'm sure she has heard the same questions over and over but she was very sweet always had a smile and so quick to respond. She even added on some fun features of the venue that you have to pay for for free! Day of the wedding I had Katie who was a true pro even when I was in the middle of a melt down when we were running an hour behind! Highly recommend this venue worth every penny!

Sent on 10/06/2014

Sheyanne · Married on 09/06/2014

Lauren was amazing and well-organized, as well as flexible in helping us have the best wedding day possible. Jennifer was also very kind and helpful during the initial communication process.
    Really, Lauren is a hard working and fantastic asset to this venue, and she was seriously the best vendor I dealt with. She provided notice well in advance of what I should expect of things I should be getting ready to do/pay/think of, etc.
    the space itself is amazing and was the perfect blend of old and new. We loved having our wedding there and will never forget it. Having a wedding planner to help with the day of was crucial to help with little logistical details in this space. We had a perfect, beautiful event here with no glitches. Lauren was a delight, and had even worked our wedding night despite having a huge multiple wedding weekend and being exhausted. Thank you Lauren!!!

Sent on 09/17/2014

On the outside it doesn't look like much at all, but once you go in you see how much natural beauty the building has. We didn't need to do hardly any additional dressing up for the downstairs ceremony room because the lighting is already romantic with candles everywhere. The sound quality from the system that they have downstairs is a lot better than what I was expecting and due to unforeseen circumstances we ended up needing to play the first few songs of the ceremony on my mom's cell phone! The size of the reception room held a guest count of about 150 very comfortably. Dancing was a little cozy but we all managed to have a really nice time. The girls at the West End are so sweet and super professional. They are easy to contact with any questions and never make you feel like you are completely wasting their time with your bridal or mother of the bride questions. They know a lot about the building and the little tricks to really heighten the beauty of the venue. Bringing in beer and wine was super easy and the price to rent the ballroom ended up being cheaper than the photographer by about a thousand dollars. They have great deals with their recommended vendors that also helped make the day a lot more affordable for everyone. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone--a lovely experience :)

Sent on 06/08/2014

Highly recommend for a beautiful downtown venue that worked for both ceremony and reception. Romantic ceremony downstairs, great party up! It's a very convenient and rare offering to have the 2 ballrooms plus a great landing for cocktail hour. The look of the space is much more romantic and charming than any of the other Portland spaces we considered. Relatively speaking, pricing is reasonable, and getting to bring in your own beer and champagne is great (didn't love the venue's wine that we had to use, but it was ok). We worked Lauren at West End during the planning process. She kept us well informed and was wonderfully helpful with all my silly little questions. We didn't have any hiccups from initial meeting - day of. Also, ask about their preferred coordinator to make your day worry free. Thanks to everyone at West End for making our day so wonderful!

Sent on 06/07/2014