The Thayer Hotel at West Point Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2013 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2012 Winner

• Elyse
    Elyse G. Married on 08/05/2021

The Best. Dreams Achieved.

Our dream wedding took place at the Thayer Hotel this past week and we are still in disbelief. The rooms, the FOOD, the ambiance and the STAFF are just incredible. We were so well taken care of by Carly, Casey, Daphne, Chris (head chef) and the flawless team. The flexibility, communication, and professionalism of the Thayer Squad made our wedding the best experience ever. We are so thankful and so appreciative of everyone's hard work and attention to detail. We could not be happier. We felt like royalty at the Thayer because we were treated with so much love and respect by everyone and will definitely be returning for our anniversary!!!
  • Suhad
    Suhad M. Married on 12/07/2020

Celebrating love in the time of Corona is possible.

After postponing our big day due to the pandemic, my now husband and I were out to reimagine our wedding day with safety protocols in mind. The staff at the Thayer Hotel was up for the challenge and we could not have been happier with the outcome.
    With buffet style food out the window, Nicole the Catering Sales Manager, worked diligently in creating a menu for cocktail hour that lend itself to be pre-packaged. She also showed us various space options that would accommodate social distancing. Not to mention her enthusiasm since day 1!
    Brianne was the event planner and she was amazing in planning the big things like floor plan and timeline to the smaller details like reservations for lunch the day after. She went above and beyond to make sure we were ok. Lastly, Chelsea was the maitre d'. Her sweet and caring self took care of us all through out the event. Together they were an amazing team!
    Joe M. Married on 06/27/2020

Accommodating and helpful

We all know 2020 has been awful. Thankfully the Thayer was more than ready to help us adjust to the constantly changing rules and guidelines regarding Covid. When our day finally came (the 3rd one we had to plan, by the way) the venue raised their game and help make the day perfect.
  • Theresa
    Theresa M. Married on 01/19/2020

Gina is the best!

My fiancé and i got engaged in December and started reaching out to possible venues. Gina at the Thayer was extremely responsive right away and the day we met and walked through she was so attentive and sweet! She took notes and was able to get us answers right away! Communication with her has been a breeze and we truly can’t wait to have our wedding at the Thayer!
    Lauren O. Married on 06/15/2019

The Thayer Hotel

Everyone at The Thayer Hotel exceeded my expectations and truly made our wedding dreams come true. Carly (our coordinator from the venue) was absolutely amazing to work with and SO helpful and responsive. All of my guests told me how impressed they were with the venue, the food, and the service. I would absolutely recommend The Thayer to anyone. I am SO thankful we chose to get married here! Thank you Carly & all of the staff at The Thayer for being incredible.
    Aimee Married on 06/07/2019

Amazing!!!

We cannot fully express how perfect the Thayer was for our wedding. Everything about the Thayer was amazing, from the beginning when we toured our venue and through our actual wedding day. It was everything we hoped it would be. My husband and I, and our families, were treated so well the entire weekend, from the rehearsal dinner, to the reception, to the breakfast the next day. The whole staff made sure my husband and I were taken care of and went out of their way to make sure we got the drinks and food we wanted.

The grounds were the perfect spot for our first look. Plus, everyone loved taking pictures and hanging out outside during our cocktail hour. The grounds are beautiful.

The food was absolutely delicious. Everyone loved the food at the cocktail hour, including the hors d'oeuvres and the taco and pasta station, as well as all the food at dinner.

We worked with Carly, who was incredibly professional and helpful throughout the whole process. She answered all of my questions, gave me helpful information, and replied to all of my e-mails quickly. She was amazing to work with. My husband and I were planning our wedding from far out of state, so it was so wonderful to have someone so attentive to my questions and someone who answered my e-mails so promptly.

We also worked with Brianna, who was our day of coordinator. She was awesome! She made sure all of our needs were met and answered all of my questions. She really made sure the day ran smoothly and everything was taken care of. She was friendly and helpful the whole night.

Overall, the Thayer was beautiful, the food was phenomenal, and the service we received was wonderful. Our guests had an amazing time, and we did as well!

We cannot recommend The Thayer enough! Thank you for making our wedding unforgettable and magical!!
  • Juliana
    Juliana Married on 05/26/2019

The Thayer Hotel is the best! Pick them and you will not regret it.

Our wedding is in 5 months but we have been working with The Thayer for over two years in prep for our wedding after West Point graduation. They are the best and are making sure everything goes perfect.
    Katie G. Married on 04/03/2019

Have your wedding at the Thayer!!

I can't say enough about the Thayer. I got married in December 2019 at the Thayer Hotel and I would not change a thing. The Thayer staff was so great throughout the whole planning process and they went above and beyond to help me in planning our perfect party. Our guests raved about the food, the hotel rooms, and the West Point experience. Being able to go right upstairs to the bar for the after party and then right to your hotel room is the best guest experience. Our photos from the hotel lobby and the back courtyard are gorgeous! We wouldn't change a thing.
  • Amy
    Amy Married on 12/31/2018

Wedding of our dreams

We had an incredible experience at the Thayer Hotel for our wedding. They worked with our budget, were extremely flexible in cutting things and adding things last minute and even coordinated for a bus transfer the DAY OF for our rehearsal dinner on West Point proper. We had our wedding in the Washington Ballrom and our ceremony in the Grant Ballroom- both were incredibly beautiful. Our coordinator for the weekend, Brianna was extremely attentive and helpful ensuring everything was done properly. She was calm the entire wedding weekend even when we felt a bit overwhelmed. The overall wedding coordinator, also named Brianna, was also extremely helpful and worked with us the entire planning process from when we booked to coordinating our tastings, an after party etc. The staff that weekend was attentive and congratulatory and treated us amazingly. We absolutely loved the Thayer and will have only happy memories after working with them!
  • Katherine
    Katherine Married on 07/28/2018

A perfect venue for a perfect day

For our once in a lifetime day, the Thayer Hotel went above and beyond to provide the best wedding venue imaginable. From the little details of making sure our family members were treated with special care, to the big ones of doing everything possible to have our ceremony take place outside amid rainy conditions, the Thayer did everything possible to make us happy. Our ceremony was beautiful along the Hudson river, and the convenience of having the hotel & reception in the same place was perfect. Even the ability to hold an after-party at the rooftop bar is an added bonus that takes care of any thought of what to do after the reception ends. Our team at the Thayer were flexible, and had us as their number one priority throughout the weekend from the moment we arrived. This was perfect, and we could not be more appreciative of the team, the venue, and that unforgettable weekend we shared with our families.
    Jessica Married on 12/31/2017
    We recently got married at the Thayer Hotel July 2017 and it was the best day (weekend) of our lives! We selected the Thayer Hotel initially because we wanted to avoid shuttles/moving parts by having everything all in one place (rehearsal dinner, hotel rooms, getting ready suites, photo opps, the wedding, after party, etc) so that everyone could just focus on enjoying themselves, and they did! Dana was our wedding planner and she was so patiently helpful throughout the planning process. We felt like celebrities during our menu tasting with Chef Lee. When we arrived for our wedding weekend, we were taken care of from start to finish, we never worried about a thing (thanks Debbie and Dana!). Our guests raved about the views, food, and enjoyed staying at a historic venue. We are very happy with our decision to have our wedding at the Thayer Hotel at West Point.
    Jenna Married on 11/17/2017
    My husband and I are so happy that we chose the Thayer as our venue. It's such a perfect place for a wedding! The views are absolutely breathtaking, which allow for gorgeous photos. Everyone that we met with from day one were so helpful. Stacey, our sales coordinator, and Dana, our planner, were both amazing from day one. We truly can't put into words how happy we are that we used the Thayer. To everyone that helped us during our Wedding, thank you for helping make our day perfect and the best day of our lives.
    Kayla Married on 11/04/2017
    We had the BEST day at the Thayer Hotel! We only looked at 4 venues when we got engaged and fell in love the second we drove up to the hotel. The sales consultant we worked with is no longer with the Thayer, but I would assume that the experience is still the same... many of the venues we looked at were not flexible regarding some options we wanted to have, but the Thayer was quick to explain what we could work out rather than just a flat no. Once we got to the planning stages, we worked with Joanna and Gina, both of whom were incredible to work with. I never had to wait more than 24 hours for a response to any questions I had and they were both so accommodating to our requests and inquiries. Our Maitre D and the rest of the staff on our wedding day were also phenomenal. Many of our guests have commented to us about the quality of service they received. Now - THE FOOD!!!!!! I can't rave enough! My husband typically never orders steaks at a wedding because he is always frustrated that they are not evenly/properly cooked. Even he was blown away at the quality of the steaks at our wedding - everyone's was cooked perfectly! The cocktail hour food was also delicious and very well-prepared, we've received many comments on this so our compliments to the chef! My husband and I can't say enough nice words about the Thayer Hotel and everyone who worked there on our wedding day :) Thank you for helping make our day perfect!!!
    Brianna Married on 06/30/2017
    Joanna and her team were great to work with from the very beginning. Every request we had was met and easily taken care of. They set up a small table for my flower girls so they could have their own table for dinner. When it rained before our ceremony they were there with towels to quickly dry off the chairs so we could continue. Our maitre'd, Debbie, made sure our entire reception went smoothly. She checked in on us often to make sure we didn't need anything, and her staff made sure we were fed and had fresh drinks all night. At the end of our reception all of our personal items were boxed up and waiting for us the next morning. The convenience of getting married in a hotel was wonderful for us and our guests. The beauty of the Thayer can't be beat and we are so happy we chose it for our wedding.
    Christina Married on 04/08/2017
    I can’t say enough great things about the hotel! We got married this past April and Stacey was our coordinator and super helpful with any questions we had! The day couldn’t have gone any better with their help!
    Mike Married on 10/01/2016
    Our experience from the first day we visited the Thayer to decide on a venue for our wedding to the day we departed for our honeymoon was outstanding.
    Kaitlin Married on 05/14/2016
    Words cannot begin to explain how absolutely incredible our experience was at The Thayer. Our planner, Cathy Johnson, worked tirelessly to ensure that our day was perfect. She responded to emails on her days off, made last minute changes at my request, and had everything organized and planned perfectly. We had a threat of rain on our wedding day and Cathy worked to make sure that our back-up plan was just as beautiful as our original. Fortunately, we had no rain and the ceremony was flawless. Cathy made sure that all of our vendors were taken care of and that on our wedding day my husband and I had nothing to worry about except celebrating our marriage. The cocktail hour was an incredible indoor/outdoor celebration with delicious food and a romantic atmosphere. Our reception couldn't have been more perfect! Stacey the sales manager worked with Cathy and Amanda to coordinate our entrances and it all went off without a hitch. We had some guests with food allergies that were accommodated without any hesitation and the waiters and waitresses worked to make sure that we were never without a full drink in our hand. We couldn't have imagined a more perfect day and I think the fact that after kissing my new husband I immediately ran to hug Cathy explains just how appreciative we are for all that they did for us.
  • User2373341 2+ years ago
    My husband and I were recently married at the Thayer Hotel. We viewed several venues in one day, and as soon as we saw this historic, beautiful hotel, we knew this is where we wanted to celebrate our special day. We started our planning process with Stacey who was awesome in answering all of our initial questions and helping us secure our date. After that, she handed us over to Alex S. assuring us we would be in good hands. She was SO right!! Alex was great throughout the entire planning process. She responded quickly and thoroughly to our emails and paid close attention to EVERY detail. I emailed her at least once a month, if not more, with a ton of questions and she always answered within the next day or two with a level of detail beyond my expectations. We keep saying we don't know what we would have done without her!!

A few days before the wedding, the weather was reporting for heavy rain. Stacey and Alex helped us walk through all the steps we should take to ensure the day would still run flawlessly (clear walls for the cocktail tent, an aisle runner if the grass was wet, info on the backup room, suggestion on cute ideas for photos, etc). They made us feel prepared and calm headed into the weekend.

Our wedding day was hands down the best day of our lives (and the rain held off for the ceremony!). Alex, Carly (our maitre d) and the Thayer Hotel staff were incredible. So friendly, accommodating, and the level of service was top notch. We highly recommend The Thayer to anyone looking for an EXTRAORDINARY wedding. And if you get a chance, drive around the campus as it is absolutely breathtaking and made for some gorgeous photos!

The Thayer Hotel at West Point's reply:

Thank you for your review of your wedding experience at The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point! We love helping our guests create unforgettable memories during the entire wedding planning process and it's so much fun to see all of the planning come to fruition! Our entire team wishes you and your husband the absolute best, and we hope that you will come back to see us for many years to come to celebrate your anniversaries at The Thayer!
    Kevin Married on 08/29/2015
    Thanks to the online reviews, we decided to hold the wedding reception at the Thayer Hotel at West Point. The entire process of booking/arranging the reception was made very easy due to the efforts of Elizabeth Keith, the Catering Manager, and Joanna Signorelli, the Wedding and Social Event Planner. Our interactions with the Thayer Event team were nothing short of outstanding! In May, we flew to New York and arranged for a food/beverage tasting with Chef Lee Clements during our visit. We were delighted with the quality and selection of the food that was presented to us during the tasting. The wedding took place on August 29th, 2015. Although one might expect that numerous glitches would arise during the day, everything went off without a hitch! Debbie Chichetti, the Maitre D for our reception, worked quietly in the background making sure everything moved smoothly during the cocktail hour and the reception. The banquet hall for the reception was beautiful, the flowers for the wedding/reception arranged by Mayuri's Floral Designs, New City, NY. The DJ was Andrew from Turntable Events. The photographers and videographers were from H& H Photographers. The Thayer staff (Joanne and Debbie) worked seamlessly with these other vendors to make sure that everything was in place, and the specific needs for each vendor were met. The Wait Staff was extremely professional and went out of their way to make sure everything went well with the dinner service. I cannot say enough good things about how the entire Thayer staff worked so hard to make our daughter's special day a success and a wonderful occasion to remember. We followed up the reception experience the next morning, by hosting a Farewell Breakfast for our guests at the Thayer. Again the event went off without a hitch. A comment of one of guests can be used to succinctly summarize our Thayer Wedding Reception Experience……… "the minute we stepped into the Thayer, we were treated like royalty"!

The Thayer Hotel at West Point's reply:

Thank you so much for your review, Kevin. Our entire team at The Thayer strives to make all of our guests feel welcome. We hope that our team helped create some beautiful memories for your family to reflect on in the coming years.

And, we will pass your note along to members of the team you specifically mentioned in your review.

We hope to see you again soon!
    Corinne Married on 07/05/2015
    I was incredibly impressed by the professionalism, attentiveness, and care demonstrated by the Thayer Hotel's staff during our wedding weekend. Our wedding coordinator, Alex, and our maitre d' Debbie were absolutely phenomenal, going above and beyond to ensure that every detail of our rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony, and wedding reception was perfect. Alex was exceptionally responsive to my emails, providing helpful feedback and advice along the way. The food was delicious, the reception hall and ceremony on the lawn were beautiful, and the service was top-notch. I could not have imagined a more wonderful wedding weekend.
    Christine Married on 06/21/2015
    Getting married at The Thayer Hotel was a dream come true. From the amazing food, to the gorgeous views we could not have asked for a better location. From working with Stacey the Catering Manager, to our wedding planner, Joanna, and our maitre d, Carly, made sure that we did not have to worry about a single thing before and during our wedding day! From setting up and enjoying the food tasting, to dropping off all of our materials for the wedding a couple days before, to the rehearsal ceremony, to the actual wedding, I did not have to worry about anything! The staff was friendly, professional, pleasant and very attentive to us and our guests. I cannot thank everyone enough that was a part of our big day, and I would recommend that everyone should get married here!
  • User2193521 2+ years ago
    Alexandra and Stacey made this a very painless experience. The staff at our reception was extremely professional and blended into the room like they were not even there. The Thayer Hotel is hands down the best venue to have a wedding in the Hudson Valley. They do an excellent job at the finest details. They ensured that our table arrangements were set up to exact specifications that we asked for. Communication was never an issue, and every cost was discussed in detail before any committments were made. The food was better than most restaurants I have been to, and this was a meal made for a wedding reception. There was literally nothing more that we could have asked for to make our day better. Planning and execution was flawless, and the Thayer Hotel did not disappoint. When we compared other locations, the Thayer Hotel worked out to be the best quality for the money that we spent, which was comparable, if not less, than other locations in the surrounding area. The return on investment was amazing, and we will recommend the Thayer to anyone for their special event.
  • User2174029 2+ years ago
    We booked the beautiful Thayer hotel for our daughter Samantha and Connor's wedding reception at West Point. It was a flawless night, our wedding reception coordinator, Alexandra, and all of the staff were hospitable, flexible, and professional. We highly recommend it. Food was fantastic, service was friendly, and the rooms were beautiful. You will not be disappointed.
  • User2113707 2+ years ago
    I have nothing but fabulous things to say about the Thayer Hotel. From the time I stepped into the lobby I knew it was the venue of choice for me. Not only was the hotel perfect for my needs, they were willing to accommodate anything I wanted, and with a smile. I visited and highly considered many other Hudson Valley venues, but the Thayer was hands above all the others as far as inclusive package items, a hotel on site which is always a plus, spectacular ballrooms, top notch service and wedding coordination services...need I say more? And the food....oh the food !! My guests are still talking about how amazing the food was, as well as the service. People expected mass produced wedding banquet fare....instead they got delicious, delec
    Anthony Married on 01/03/2015
    Everything from the hospitality to the way the room looked on the day of the wedding was everything my wife and I could dream of and more. The people that work there were always smiling and very welcoming. Our cocktail hour was in a bridal suite away from the actual cocktail hour and I've been to weddings before where they have forgotten about he wedding party and there was no food. Not here, there was so much food we all had to stop eating because no one would have been able to move out of the room when the time came. I recommend anyone to get married here because not only is it worth evey penny, but the historical value and what that place represents is a selling point in itself