The River Room Reviews

95 | Wilmington, NC

95 Reviews for The River Room

Paul · Married on 09/27/2014

The River Room is a beautiful location across the river from the Battleship North Carolina. The space was perfect for our wedding of 70 people; there was plenty of room for dining and dancing, our guests loved the location and views. Because of HOA regulations, live bands are not permitted, which is the reason for the 4/5 on flexibility. This is a great location and a great value.

Sent on 10/07/2014

Chelsea · Married on 08/22/2015

Absolutely gorgeous venue by the river at a great cost! Our guests loved it and so did we, so many great benefits of being downtown and having the ceremony & reception at the same place; it was absolutely perfect. Plus, the owner Tina is amazing!

Sent on 09/06/2015
  • I

Connie · Married on 12/31/2011

This venue was awesome for my daughters New Years Eve wedding. The location was perfect. Ray, the owner was great to deal with and Melissa, the event coordinator was very helpful as we were planning the event. The size of the room was great for our 85 guests. It was nice to be able to bring in our own alcohol and vendors. We used the outdoor deck for the ceremony, which worked out well since it was 70 degrees and sunny on December 31. We had a back up plan inside in case of inclement weather but I am glad that we didn't have to use it as it would have not had the same feel and would have been tight. It was the perfect event!!

Sent on 01/08/2012
  • Victoria

Victoria R. · Married on 09/28/2019

Beautiful venue and location

This venue was our number one pick because it was where my husband proposed to me. So my heart was set on it! It is the only wedding venue right on the water as well! When I booked here, it had recently been bought by a new owner, with that being said I was sad to find that there was no longer a bridal flat available on the property. Although, months prior to our wedding they did a remodel, which was beautiful! It really opened up the space and added a small room for getting ready.

For the most part communicating with The River Room was great, my emails were always responded to in a timely manner, although I wasn’t always sure who to contact throughout my planning process because the first consultant I met with and started speaking to no longer worked there, then I was speaking with the owner (who I had never met) for a bit, and was then handed off to a different consultant who I had not met with before. Originally we were told that we would be able to set up the night before as long as there was not another event happening, then later when I went to double check on that, we were told we couldn’t come until 10AM day of. No big deal, just conflicting. This was not a real problem, just confusing on our end for my OCD planning mind!
    The location itself is amazing, gorgeous view of the river and the battleship, beautiful exposed beams and brick on the inside, it had its own beauty that we chose not to adorn it with much decoration.
    I personally felt that we paid more for the space than we could have, but as stated before our hearts were set on it! The venue does not include any extras, just the space, the tables and chairs and lighting and a few other items we did not use like table numbers and candles. The deck right outside where we held our ceremony was also an additional fee from the venue.
    On our pricing sheet a bottle of champagne was listed as a gift for bride and groom, we never received one. Oh well!
    Everyone who we spoke to affiliated with The River Room was friendly, and they sent us a thank you note and email as well after the event!
    Overall, we loved our wedding day, where it was and who it was with. Our family and friends all loved the space and that’s all that matters!

Sent on 10/11/2019

Victoria,
    It was a pleasure working with you for your wedding. What a special place to get engaged and then also married, we love downtown Wilmington and the stunning views we get to see each day. Thank you for being patience and understanding as we were in some transitions with new ownership and venue managers. We are thrilled your family and friends loved the venue and had an amazing time at your wedding.

Diane · Married on 11/04/2016

This was a great location. We used it for a rehearsal dinner. They are very flexible in how you can decorate and helped me with every question and were wonderfully helpful with everything we needed. We only needed minimal decorations and they provided great recommendations for any of the other vendors we needed. The cost of the room rental couldn't have been more affordable. We would use them again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 11/20/2016
  • Gina

Gina · Married on 12/12/2015

3.0

I have to say that this entire experience was almost magical! We did a lot of shopping prior to choosing our wedding venue... cost was a huge factor, as was location. The River Room had both - they were considerably more affordable than most, and the location was beautiful. I would have honestly given them a 5 had I realized we couldn't hold our rehearsal in the venue the night prior. In the contract it states it would be available IF it wasn't booked. I completely overlooked that, but in all honesty, I figured it would be a given considering we would need to rehearse there prior to the wedding because neither my husband nor I had ever been married before. We contacted them and asked if we could hold the rehearsal (after realizing we hadn't even thought about that) and they told us the evening prior had already been booked. We were so disappointed. My husband was upset (and understandably so) because now we couldn't rehearse at the same venue we were getting married at! I think that is a point that should be stressed by The River Room prior to signing any contracts. There we absolutely no way to hold a rehearsal the day of (my husband couldn't see me before our wedding *gasp* and there was a million things to get done before 4pm) so we had to hold our rehearsal dinner in our home (which turned out to be OK). All in all, from start to finish, it was almost perfect. Shannon, the coordinator, was great - she handled all she could behind the scenes, and was great with all of the organization. She even jumped in and helped the ladies get my train all secured so I could dance! We can't thank Shannon enough for her hard work. :) The pictures were great, with the backdrop of the river and the bridge in the background. Don't hesitate... if you're looking for an affordable, beautiful, memorable location for your wedding - The River Room is all of that in one great package.

Sent on 01/26/2016

Amber · Married on 10/17/2015

The RiverRoom is such an amazing venue. We loved the fact that we could get married outside and go right inside for the reception. It's such a beautiful venue, with a wonderful staff! Our wedding day was perfect!

Sent on 10/26/2015
  • I

Ina · Married on 07/19/2013

Beutiful spot for a wedding. Melissa was very nice and helpful!

Sent on 07/27/2013

Megan · Married on 10/21/2016

The venue is beautiful and affordable. So pretty inside that it doesn't need much decorating and the view is to die for.

Sent on 02/10/2017

They were very nice to work with. I loved the blog she did after the event.

Sent on 07/20/2013

Jennifer · Married on 01/28/2017

4.2

Overall this venue is a good value for your money. And they are really flexible with layout and vendors.

Sent on 02/09/2017

Rebecca · Married on 05/04/2019

3.0

Nice place on the water in downtown Wilmington

The venue is beautiful and the renovations look great!

Sent on 05/07/2019

The River Room's reply:

Hi Rebecca- Thank you for your review. We love our new renovated space and feel it is a much better layout for our weddings.
  • User5382226 · event on: 08/07/2015

3.0

Beautiful venue with lots of historic character. Room size was perfect for my event.

Sent on 08/26/2015

3.8
      3.0

It would be nice if the person in charge smiled more and was warmer. We payed the cost for this venue because it is riverside. However, our event was at night , and we couldn't see the water at all. There were lights on river side of the building but they weren't turned on so we couldn't see the river. The venue offers option of string lights at ceiling height at a cost of $250. They add a lot of ambience but the cost is unreasonable. I suggest that lights be left up instead of owner paying people to put them up and take them down after each rental. Maybe charge $50 extra if people want them lit if owner isn't willing to include them in rental price. We brought in a projector to show pictures depicting lives of bride and groom. We wanted to use a very small speaker so music for video could be heard better. We weren't allowed to use it. I understand noise restrictions but denying us the use of this small speaker for the video only was unreasonable.

Sent on 12/15/2015

Christy · Married on 10/15/2015

2.8
      2.0

I didn't appreciate that the day of the wedding instead of helping us set up and do everything that had to be done she had 3 or 4 appointments with other brides. I had to keep interrupting them to get help with my wedding that was helping in a few hours. Also she said she would be there to help me with whatever I needed but was no where to be found when we realized the florist or party rental company didn't set out the flowers and decor like promised. The table cloths came late so they said they'd help put out flowers but my mom cousin and myself had to do it which made me late getting my hair and makeup done.

Sent on 11/03/2015

2.6
      3.0

The young lady Carissa was a great help. We were very disappointed that they scheduled and allowed people to come in to the venue while we were setting up. We had to walk around these individuals and even had one couple standing in the middle of the venue discussing loudly how she had "expected more". I just feel that if you pay for a venue from 10 to 10 that it should be yours and no one should be viewing it. Other than that we loved the location. Our DJ did an amazing job and we all had a great time.

Sent on 08/26/2015

S. · Married on 12/19/2015

0.5

We did not expect to feed the Staff/Workers that worked for the River Room the evening of our Event, as we paid for the Venue full price. I found that to be very distasteful and unprofessional. They never bothered to ask us, they just invited themselves to fix their plates and eat our Catered per plate food while working our Event (Ugh). We did not hire River Room's DJ and wasn't told until after we arrived that the iPhone we were to use for sound was not to be touched again until after the Event (Per the contract given to me the evening of Event instead of at booking). I guess their is a saying that you get what you pay for...... Will never again book the River Room!!!

Sent on 01/12/2016

Erin · Married on 09/24/2016

1.5

Both the owner & manager here were less than accommodating. We chose this venue for the river view. About 4 months before our wedding, we scheduled a time to come up to view. By then there was construction in the street by the venue & while I was there I commented on this, asking what was going on with no clear answer. A week later, I get a vague construction "update" email that was sent in mass discussing a barge that would be outside the venue (in front of every window as well as obstructing the view from the deck, where we were having our ceremony). I was upset about this happening during my wedding, but even more, I was upset that this was the first I had heard about it.
    Throughout this whole process, I felt very taken advantage of. I was quite calm & just trying to express my frustrations with no validation or compassion. I reached out to both the manager & owner, & got absolutely nowhere. They played the victim & basically said it wasn't their problem- never offered to let me out of my contract or discount the venue rate, which would be fair since this changes the entire venue. If you can't deliver what you offer as a venue, then something should really be done try to make it better (regardless of fault). Being in customer service myself, I was surprised by the lack of care & professionalism. This caused so much added stress during a time that is already stressful.
    On our wedding day, the venue manager was civil with me, but you could tell she did not want to be there. She did try to help with things, but it was so insincere it was awkward. I had guests comment on how rude she was to them during the reception, which is totally unacceptable. I thought it was just directed towards me, but I guess not. Her assistant, Haley, was sweet.
    With all that being said, we did have a great day- we have awesome family & friends, & all of our other vendors were fantastic! Location is great, but there are many other venues in the area I would check out first.

Sent on 02/06/2017

Hi Erin,

We are glad to hear that you had a great wedding day! The construction was a frustration that we, too, shared with the city’s riverwalk project and their lack of advanced notice and very little information about updates. We worked hard to contact and stay in contact with those in charge of the project and emailed all of our clients updated information as it was received. We made an effort to accommodate you by providing $750.00 in discounts between Sunset Flat and the string lights for your wedding. On the day of your event we happily helped set up for your reception and assisted throughout the night receiving nothing but thanks and kind words from your family and friends. It was a pleasure helping and being a part of your event. Were glad to hear you enjoyed your wedding day and hope you can look back on your big day with nothing but a smile! Thank you for choosing The RiverRoom.

Erica · Married on 07/12/2015

0.5

I was greatly disappointed with the RiverRoom. A few weeks before my wedding, Melissa left and she took her quality of professionalism with her. I could not get the new management on the phone to pay my final balance before the wedding. I left two unreturned voicemails and a message with an "intern" over the course of a week. A week before my wedding I left an urgent message inquiring about a liquor license mentioned in the contract. Again, no one called me back, ever. I was grateful to have rehearsal time, but when Tina arrived with her two tired and unsettled toddlers in a stroller, it did not go well. It was especially unpleasant because of Tina's disinterest in my event. I felt like I was bothering her and she couldn't care less about my wedding. Although the venue is beautiful, there were people begging my guests for money on the street/sidewalks. Which is out of the River Room's control yet, affected my overall experience. Therefore I would not recommend the RiverRoom to anyone and would suggest brides with any budget to look elsewhere. Despite the value, it was NOT worth the aggravation.

Sent on 07/21/2015

Miriah · Married on 11/20/2016

1.4
      1.0

Beautiful place!! A decent price for the area.The people who work there are absolutely horrible. The lady who was working the venue on my wedding decided to call me an hour before I was going to walk down the Isle and tell me I cannot use the venue the hours I reserved it for bc the information was not communicated to her. Along with that she did not allow the decorators into the venue until later time than scheduled so my reception barley got decorated. After we got things sorted out minutes before I walked down the Isle she pouted around all night like a little girl and yelled at many of my guest. Very unorganized company, awful customer service I called the venue several times and never got anyone to pick up the phone or returna voicemail and my emails never got responded to until weeks later. Luckily the DJ did a great job even though you can only use him if you want music.

Sent on 12/04/2016

Hi Miriah,

When you rented The RiverRoom, you chose to rent the venue from 5pm-10pm. Instead of adding additional time to start early, you scheduled your ceremony and guest arrival time for 4pm. Rather than turn you away, we allowed you to begin your ceremony at 4pm at no additional cost. In addition, your rental was an evening rental which provides 2 hours for set up – that would be 3pm for your contracted 5pm start time. When your family friends arrived almost half an hour prior to your set up time, we allowed them to began their decorations right around 2:30pm. Unfortunately, when you arrived just before 4pm neither the ceremony nor the reception was set up. Although The RiverRoom is not responsible for set up, we pitched in to speed up the set up process. I worked with your family friend to finish the reception set up and arrange the deck to your liking for your ceremony. I then continued to assist throughout the night.

Before leaving the venue after your wedding, you gave me a hug and thanked me for all my help with set up and throughout the night. We even had a wonderful conversation at the end of the evening which included discussing our phone call earlier that day. I am disappointed to hear you are unsatisfied with your experience and would love to discuss it with you offline. When you get a chance, I can be reached at 910-251-8902.