The River Room Reviews

95 | Wilmington, NC

95 Reviews for The River Room

Caryn · Married on 04/27/2013

The best location for any event in Wilmington! Right on the Cape Fear River, the RiverRoom has the best views and is close to all the action downtown! Our wedding was absolutely perfect thanks to Melissa who made sure everything flowed seamlessly from start to finish. With the huge windows and exposed brick, all of our guests raved about the venue. We also rented the deck for additional seating which accommodated our 118 guests very comfortably. We highly recommend renting the globe lights inside; these hanging lights were the perfect touch to complete our wonderful decorations. Thank you Melissa and the RiverRoom!!!! With the sun setting along the Cape Fear River, we couldnt have hoped for a more surreal backdrop for our wedding reception!

Sent on 05/25/2013

Laura · Married on 04/05/2013

My husband & I got married at The River Room on 4.5.13. The night was PERFECT, I wish it didn't have to end! Melissa was with us every step of the way and she was very efficient with every last minute detail. Michael & I would recommended this beautiful venue to anyone who is planning on getting married in downtown Wilmington. Everyone loved the venue...especially the view overlooking the Cape Fear River!

Sent on 05/07/2013

Charo · Married on 03/09/2013

The River Room was the absolute PERFECT spot for our wedding! Melissa was just amazing to work with; responsive, professional, knowledgeable and helpful throughout the entire planning process! We LOVED the freedom of being allowed to provide our own bar, and choose whatever catering company we wanted for our wedding - something that very few venues in the area offer.

We are still getting compliments from our guests about the location - it was STUNNING with the sun setting during the reception, the interior warm brick walls setting off the perfect ambiance, the convenience being right downtown in the heart of everything - for our small, intimate wedding we just could not have picked a more perfect place! Between Melissa's expertise and willingness to help us brainstorm through our ideas, to the beauty of the setting and the flexibility of the policies... well, I just can't say enough great things about our experience. We love the River Room!!!

Sent on 04/07/2013

Rose · Married on 11/17/2012

The River Room was the perfect place for our wedding reception. It not only provides amazing views with its location on the water, but also gave us the opportunity to have an outdoor cocktail hour on the deck and a very intimate and elegant dinner and dancing area inside. Having the opportunity to bring your own food vendors and alcohol was also a plus. Along with tremendous help from the River Room we were able to design every detail of our amazing day. It was absolutely flawless.

Sent on 12/01/2012
  • W

Wes · Married on 10/27/2012

The RiverRoom was amazing! They were super accommodating and made our wedding day perfect. We were scheduled to have our wedding ceremony on the deck, however, Hurricane Sandy ruined those plans. But that didn't stop the guys at the RiverRoom. They were quick to help us prepare inside for the ceremony and have a quick turn around for the reception.

The inside is beautiful. It has a rustic, old feel with exposed brick walls. It is large enough to fit about 100 people and still have plenty of room to mingle and have a dance floor. We had seating and tables for about 84 people. It was perfect.

Melissa is a great person to work with. She helped us organize the event and made sure everything was run smoothly throughout the event. She makes the whole experience a lot less stressful.

We chose Ray Baca to do our photography. Words can't explain how amazing he is. He is always ready to talk with you and is incredibly personable. He is on point with everything he does. There is absolutely no other photographer I would recommend to anyone other than Ray. Like I said, there aren't enough words to explain how awesome he made our experience.

There isn't a thing I would change about our wedding day...well, maybe the rain. But it didn't stop us from having an unforgettable day and it wouldn't have been possible without the RiverRoom.

Sent on 11/08/2012

Reserving The River Room on Water Street was the best and most important decision I made for my wedding. I used the deck space for my beautiful outdoor ceremony and used the indoor area for my intimate wedding reception.The feel of industrial history and new crisp decor is an amazing combination. Add the structure next to an amazing view of the river on one side and the old cobblestone on the other and it is magical (especially at sunset)!! The River Room offers a coordinator for decorating and planning out every detail (a great stress reducer) not to mention an unbeatable price!!!! I used the packaged vendors: Baca Photography and DJ Professionals. I can do nothing but sing the praises of the River Room team: Ray and Melissa especially!!! I Couldn't imagine my special day without them!

Sent on 10/07/2012

The River Room was the perfect setting for my brunch reception. I wanted the light and feel of outside, but not the hot, humid, unpredictable weather. The River Room was the perfect solution, and because of its natural beauty and the huge picturesque windows overlooking the river, our decorations were able to be minimal. The space is only as good as its coordinator, however, and Melissa was hands-down better than I could have asked for. She was so incredibly helpful, proactive, and always available. My day was so special and relaxed thanks, in large part, to her. And all of our guests loved the venue!

Sent on 08/23/2012

Betsy · Married on 06/29/2012

Geoff and I had a wonderful experience having our wedding and reception at the River Room. It may have been the hottest day on record in Wilmington! :) But at least it was nice and cool inside the room! The staff were very attentive and helpful. The room was charming with great river views...it was just what we wanted. It was perfect. We even want to go back and host another party there for our friends sometime. If you are looking to have an event downtown, the River Room is the best spot!
    --Geoff and Betsy Reckerd

Sent on 07/17/2012

Calley · Married on 05/26/2012

Loved the space, the view, and the people. The size of the room was a little small, but we made it work. It was the perfect downtown location and all our guests loved it! Having no restrictions on which vendors to use helped us meet our wedding budget. Would definitely book an event with them again!

Sent on 02/05/2013

Jenna · Married on 05/20/2012

Had such a wonderful experience with this vendor! Really made my day so stress free and easy! Couldnt thank them enough!
    Many thanks to everyone involved! (Melissa, Jeremy, Brian, Eric, and Ray!!)

Sent on 05/26/2012

The River Room's reply:

Thanks Jenna! You were an easy bride to work with! We are so happy for you and Charlie!

Tabatha · Married on 04/14/2012

Melissa was a huge help as my event coordinator for wedding day services. All of the River Room staff were helpful and efficient. I also recommend related businesses Baca Photography and DJ Professionals.

Sent on 05/01/2012

Julia · Married on 03/24/2012

Everyone at The River Room was amazing and helped us have a beautiful wedding! Ray was very flexible and worked with us in anyway he could and Melissa was the best! I could email her morning/noon/night and she would respond promptly and with great answers and ideas! She helped make this experience relaxing and stress free. The venue is beautiful by itself and makes for a fabulous reception site!! I wish I could re-live my wedding every weekend!!

Sent on 04/06/2012

Valarie · Married on 02/18/2012

Not only is the RiverRoom a beautiful venue it is really under priced. This is the perfect place for a bride on a budget who also wants a great view and a beautiful room. You are allowed to bring your own caterers and alcohol in which saves a lot of money. The best part about the River Room is not doubt the people who work there. I had planned the entire wedding while my husband was deployed to Afghanistan and my family was in NY and Ray and Melissa made it as easy as possible for me and made sure I got everything done. I must of called 1000x during the course of planning and they were always so helpful and nice. Taylor was onsite the day of our wedding and she made sure everything went smoothly and helped me set up the room that morning. I couldn't be happier with my decision to hold my ceremony on the deck outside and my reception inside the RiverRoom, I really can not come up with one thing I would change about this place!

Sent on 02/21/2012

Lucy · Married on 11/05/2011

We recently had our wedding reception at The River Room. I had researched many different venues large and small for our wedding in Wilmington. We were planning our NC wedding from VA and had about 80% of our guests traveling to our wedding. From our first meeting with Ray, I knew that the River Room was the place for us. The inside is beautifully decorated and has a lot of historical charm. We booked The River Room immediately and were in constant contact with Ray through our 10 month engagement. Our wedding reception was amazing! The sunsets, lighting, views from the deck all were superb! Ray and Melissa were true professionals and helped us with everything along the way! A huge bonus was that we could choose any caterer and bring in our own alcohol. We are so happy that we had our reception at the River Room and highly recommend it!!

Sent on 12/06/2011

Darlene · Married on 10/30/2011

We had our wedding reception from 3-7pm and the sunset view was just astonishing!!

Sent on 12/09/2011

Jamie · Married on 10/02/2010

This venue has the best view in downtown Wilmington!

Sent on 12/31/2012

Nancy · Married on 03/18/2016

Beautiful venue for the cost and Shannon was awesome to work with. She was very helpful in working with our layout. We did our own decorating and needed early entry and she was very accommodating. She really put us at ease and is a great asset to the River Room. David with sound and lighting treated us like he had known us forever. Great night of music and dancing. Thanks for everything.

Sent on 04/18/2016

Denis · event on: 10/21/2015

Venue was clean & neat. Floor plan was as I requested. Shannon is very helpful and always asks if there is anything else that needs attention.

Sent on 11/03/2015

Emily · Married on 06/13/2014

Lovely historic venue on the waterfront. Staff excellent, venue beautiful!

Sent on 09/03/2014
  • Prevatte

Sharon · Married on 04/26/2013

The RiverRoom was the absolute PERFECT place for our rehearsal dinner! Melissa was just amazing to work with. She was so helpful answering all of my questions with quick returned emails, and was efficient helping us with items we left behind when trying to decorate before our event.
    We are still getting compliments from our guests about the location. It was spectacular with the sun setting during the rehearsal dinner, and the beautiful brick walls setting off the perfect mood for the evening. We had a wonderful experience!

Sent on 05/05/2013

Tonya · Married on 05/20/2017

I rented Sunset Flat from The River Room as my Bridal suite and so very happy that I did!!! Shannon was a pleasure to work with. The Bridal suite is beautiful and has a very beautiful view of The Cape Fear River and is the perfect backdrop for pictures of me and my girls getting ready. The place was very clean and love the idea of having a shower in the room to take and wash off before getting dressed. The only thing that I would recommend to do differently would be to have towels and some soap and some shampoo to wash off with in the bathroom. There is a shower but no big towels or soap. So if you rent this place and you plan on showering there bring some body wash or soap. Highly recommend this place for a Bridal suite!!! Again Shannon was amazing!!!!

Sent on 07/01/2017
  • allieb2689

Allison · Married on 10/14/2016

The River Room is a beautiful venue for a great price. It's pretty much a "blank slate" because you can literally bring in any tables, chairs, food, decorations etc you want. This is great for the DIY bride! The people who work there are friendly, flexible, and professional. Their hours are weird so it's a little tricky to get in touch with them, but they always returned phone calls and emails during their office hours.

The bridal suite is beautiful and I highly recommend using it if it's in your budget. It allowed me and my bridesmaids a place to take pictures before the ceremony, pop champagne, keep our belongings safe, freshen up, etc.

The River Room CAN hold 120 people but I think it would be really crowded. We invited 120 people and had about 85 attend. I'm SO happy 120 didn't show up. It would have been a really tight squeeze.

Beautiful venue! Great price! Highly recommend!

Sent on 10/28/2016

Carol · Married on 03/06/2016

The River Room is a lovely venue for both my daughter's wedding and the reception. Shannon was very helpful and great to work with. Wilmington is the perfect city to have a wedding in. Lots of hotels and restaurants close to The River Room. Beautiful setting at a very reasonable cost.

Sent on 04/13/2016

Anni · Married on 12/18/2015

The week of the wedding, the staff at the River Room was in action pulling everything together which is definitely what I needed to see; the evening was fantastic.

Sent on 01/05/2016

Rain or shine you can still have a beautiful wedding.

Sent on 10/17/2015