The Real McCoy Catering Reviews

The Real McCoy Catering 1
The Real McCoy Catering 2
The Real McCoy Catering 3
  • User3941903 · 2+ years ago

Lavell was great to work with. The food was delicious, all of the guest loved it. We had 150 people and everyone single person mentioned how great the food was. I wish we had a little more after the wedding.
    - - -
    Edit, to expand on my wife's earlier post:
    We had a great experience working with Lavell to put together an awesome reception dinner that we and all of our guests enjoyed. Lavell is very responsive and thorough and detail-oriented when it comes to crafting the menu and hammering out all of the logistics (rentals, table setting, bartending, etc). We asked him for a Caribbean and West African inspired menu served family-style, and he definitely delivered with the jerk chicken and the curry mutton/goat. Everyone raved about the curry goat. He also helped us figure out a good solution for feeding our vegetarian guests, and they all loved their spicy veggie plated meals. He and his staff were punctual, courteous, and went above and beyond in their service for our cocktail hour and reception.

Sent on 11/16/2015

Trish · event on 11/17/2017

3.5

We used The Real McCoy Catering for our Thanksgiving luncheon. I will disclose that I was not present at the lunch, but did have my counterpart there who provided feedback.
    Leading up to the lunch, everything was great! Chef Lavell was accommodating and flexible in working with our menu and budget. He was very responsive via email. They were a little later than we would have liked for set up (we said we'd like to be serving at 12pm, ended up serving around 12:15/20), but I could have specified time better rather than leave it up to their discretion. My colleague said they seemed a little frazzled and had misplaced their utensils so there was a little bit of a scramble to get some together around our office, but it all worked out. Food was reported to be tasty and everyone was full and happy!

Sent on 11/28/2017

Crystal Bertrand · Married on 11/23/2002

Great food, awesome staff

The Real McCoy was great! The food was delicious, and Chef Lavell was wonderful in assisting with food swaps and allergen concerns. The staff was friendly, and came professionally dressed for our event. Would definitely recommend!

Sent on 01/24/2019
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 06/01/2019

3.0

Great food with a couple disappointing aspects day-of

We hired Chef Lavell for our wedding on June 1. First, I’ll start with saying that the quality and taste of the food was outstanding. Many of our guests complimented us on the food. We chose to go with Chef Lavell because of the flexibility with menu options (I am vegan so we needed at least some of the items to be vegan). Many of the other places we contacted around the Austin area were outrageously expensive when it came to vegan options, but McCoy catering was affordable and within our price range.

Second, I was living in Ohio while my fiancé was in Austin, so we had limited time to get wedding things booked when I was in town. Chef Lavell was accommodating in squeezing us in for a tasting. The week of the wedding, my family wanted to add coffee to the menu and we needed last minute table linens, which were taken care of. However, communication the two weeks before the wedding was sometimes frustrating. There were some emails I sent with multiple questions/clarifications (e.g., asking about adding coffee and specific labels for the vegan food options), and I would get a response only addressing one of those things. The phone number I was given was always busy when I called, which was just kind of odd.

Now for the day of the wedding. I was in the bridal suite getting ready, but when the caterers arrived, there was a discussion with them and my parents regarding the set-up location. At the venue, there was a small kitchen as well as a bar area with kitchen things, but the caterers scoffed at the options. They ended up doing all of the food prep in the groom’s suite. My parents were frustrated by the conversation because 1) they were addressed in what they perceived as a condescending manner, 2) all of that could’ve been handled with our day-of coordinator, who was on-site, instead of adding to my parents’ responsibilities, and 3) our contract did not indicate that there would be a full-sized kitchen on-site nor was it communicated that was necessary.

Our contract specified that the two appetizers we chose were to be PASSED by servers during the cocktail hour. I was informed that this was not the case and the platters were just set down on tables. Additionally, I had asked for the vegan menu items to be clearly labeled as such (as a wedding guest, I always appreciate when the food is clearly labeled so I know what I can and cannot eat) – the food was labeled with descriptions but lacked the vegan specification I asked for. Finally, the dinner was served as a buffet and there were times when the food ran out and guests had to wait for it to be re-stocked. There was plenty of food for everyone, there was just a delay in getting it out, which disgruntled some guests.

Looking back, I think we would still book with Chef Lavell because of how good the food was and the affordability. There were just some disappointing things that happened the day of the wedding that, in my opinion, shouldn’t have occurred.

Sent on 07/30/2019