58 Reviews for The Portofino Hotel & Marina

Flatware (1)
Glassware (1)
Parking (1)
58 The Portofino Hotel & Marina Reviews

Portofino Hitel and Marina, wonderful venue, catering and venue was on point. Awesome food, attention to detail, my guests loved it as well.

Photo for The Portofino Hotel & Marina Review - Ceremony on lawn at Portofino Hitel and Marina
Photo for The Portofino Hotel & Marina Review - Jeff and Diana Bridgland
Photo for The Portofino Hotel & Marina Review - Cake by Torrance Bakery. Lemon Raspberry. Best cake ever.
Profile Picture Diana, 7/28/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Scenic Views, Uncovered Outdoor, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Tastings, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, House Beer, House Wine, Limited Bar, Open Bar, Specialty Wine, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Accommodations, In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Bridal Suite, Liability Insurance, Wireless Internet, Altar/Arches, Chair Covers, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Parking
4.7

I really like Kim at the resort, she is very kind and helpful, providing us a lot of flexibility and help for our big wedding day. All the stuff there are friendly and professional. It's a decent drive from Wayfarers Chapel (Reception place). Compared with several venues of surroundings, this one stand out to be the best deal!

Photo for The Portofino Hotel & Marina Review - First Dance
Photo for The Portofino Hotel & Marina Review - Picture at the Hotel Hall
Photo for The Portofino Hotel & Marina Review - Picture of BallRoom
Profile Picture Abby, 6/23/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

This place is great had my Wedding there a couple weeks ago and the service is great everyone is really helpful and organize. I highly recommend this place for anyone that is planning a wedding, My guest love the ocean view that't the best part and the food is great !!

Profile Picture Vanessa, 4/7/18, 1 Review
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

I have nothing but positive things to say about the Portofino. We had both our ceremony and reception there in October and everything went so perfectly. It was the perfect size for our wedding of 108 people. Everyone talked about how delicious the food was. The service was seamless and invisible. The getting-ready room was perfect for me, my 6 bridesmaids, both mom and mom-in-law, and a flower girl and auntie too. We were able to use pretty much the entire property for photos, uninterrupted. And the staff was great with answering questions, letting me come by to look at the venue almost every other week during the year before the wedding, and making sure everything ran smoothly. We wanted a water-front wedding and somehow didn't come upon this as a venue in our initial search - but I'm SO HAPPY we found it. It was exactly what we wanted and everything was just beautiful. And they offer better discounts than most for having your wedding not on a Saturday (our wedding was on a Sunday), so we spent significantly less than we would have at the other venues we were considering. Highly recommend!

Profile Picture Emily, 10/22/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

My daughter got married at the Portofino in October, 2017. They were more than accommodating working with us every step of the way. The location is beautiful. I have been telling everyone that this is "THE" place for a wedding and reception. The happy couple can't wait to spend their one year anniversary back here.

Profile Picture Caroline, 10/15/17, 1 Review
4.2

We had our wedding at The Portofino Hotel & Marina (ceremony and reception) in late July. We had a few challenges with the room blocks early on and the lobby bar wasn't always staffed during our wedding weekend, but overall we had a great experience. The team was helpful, the food was great, and the venue was beautiful. Compared to similar venues in the area, the costs were reasonable. We would recommend The Portofino and have fond memories of our wedding day!

Profile Picture Jessi, 7/29/17, 13 Reviews
Services Used: Linens, Chairs

Full disclosure: my wedding isn't actually until May 2017. From the moment my fiancé and I toured the grounds at Portofino, we knew it was the one. The location itself is beautiful, and they know what they're doing when it comes to weddings (without it feeling like a wedding factory). The marina with the sea lions, the floor-to-ceiling windows in ballroom, and all the wonderful options! Lisa Fleming gave us our tour and has been our contact throughout this process. She is incredible! So sweet and personable, and also very responsive and knowledgeable! She has been very helpful! I have no doubt in my mind that my reception (they already had a ceremony booked on our date) will be amazing, and my guests will have a great time!

Profile Picture Kat, 5/6/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Chairs, Accommodations, Event Planning, Event Rentals, Linens, Outside Cake

The team at The Portofino was so sweet and attentive from the moment we decided to have our wedding there. Every detail that I envisioned for my wedding was executed by the Portofino. Thank you so much to Shelley, Jenna, Hilary, and Nicole. I felt at ease on my wedding day because Hilary came to check on us a few times and got us ready for the ceremony. The food was outstanding and the catering team stuck to the timeline had we planned exactly. The views at this venue can't be beat!

Profile Picture lauren, 3/18/17, 4 Reviews
4.3

My husband and I got married at the Portofino just over two weeks ago, and it was a genuinely beautiful wedding! Because it was a Sunday, we had access to the whole wedding side of the property: our ceremony on the seaside lawn, our cocktail hour in a smaller ballroom, and our wedding in the larger room. Our guests complimented us a lot about the venue’s beauty, and sea lions barked along to our ceremony. (“The sea lions agree!” announced our officiant, at one point.)

The catering was also really wonderful. Although we weren’t given an opportunity to taste the wedding food prior to signing the event contract, their excellent on-site restaurant Baleen caters all of their events. The food was spectacular, and our guests loved it!

We did have a few challenges with the venue. The most prominent one is that their first answer to most requests was “no”. Often they were able to make things work, but our main contact at the Portofino wasn’t very proactive in making suggestions as to how.

We felt a little bit misled as to the size of the venue: We had been told that it could easily accommodate 200 guests, but as RSVP’s started rolling in, it became clear that a 200 guest wedding and our 12 piece band (we highly recommend Rembrandt Band!) wouldn’t fit in the room with an adequately-sized dance floor. It all worked out in the end because our wedding ended up with about 185 guests, but there was a lot of nail-biting in the process.

There were a few day-of problems, the most prominent of which was the dance floor being smaller than we had agreed upon, but they made up for this with a generous refund after the fact.

Overall, we had a great experience with this venue and our wedding was absolutely magical - but if you’re thinking about getting married here, a superb month-of coordinator to play liason and make sure the details are all in order is a MUST! (We heartily recommend Amy Greenberg!)

Profile Picture Jennie, 11/13/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Outside Cake, Linens, Chairs, Uncovered Outdoor, Accommodations, Event Rentals

Such a beautiful wedding venue. I knew from the moment I found this venue online, this would be the one. When I toured the venue, it sealed the deal. I planned my wedding from Oregon, so the fact that this venue came with everything all packaged made my life super easy. The color scheme of the inside of the hotel is so gorgeous and calming; it makes for great photographs! Also, the food is top notch! The filet mignon is to die for! The Portofino came through with delivering my dream wedding.

Profile Picture Sara, 10/8/16, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Accommodations, Uncovered Outdoor, Outside Cake, Linens, Chairs

They have very nice venues, romantic ones, next to the ocean side, and very professional and well-organized staff.

Profile Picture Ann, 9/18/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

This venue is purely gorgeous! My out of town (and local) guests were in awe of the view and overall elegance of both the ceremony and reception sites.
Lisa is fantastic! She is responsive and accommodating.
My only concern was what happened to the extra cake and extra food after the wedding. The coordinator saved the top layer of cake for us. But we knew a lot of people did not eat cake and we were surprised none was given. We also ordered additional food which was left. Also did not receive that.
Tip for future couples: Purchase to-go bags and ask for extra food ahead of time!

The rooms are nice, but my guests did have some issues which all ended up to be taken care of. The Crowne and Redondo Beach Hotel are within a ten minute walk too.

Profile Picture Sophia, 8/13/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Honestly, the Portofino provided the best wedding experience I could ever imagine. We looked at quite a few venues before the Portofino was the obvious choice. From the beginning, every part of the wedding package (from a combined ceremony + reception space, to included catering, to accommodations, to breath-taking ocean views, to fantastic staff) was a dream come true. Everyone who helped us during the planning process--from food-tasting to various questions--was amazing (especially Jenna). All of my questions were answered via email immediately. The food was AMAZING with HUGE portions, and the bartender was SPECTACULAR. Also, by using Torrance Bakery, our cake was included in our bill AND was delivered to the venue, saving us from having to deal with getting the cake there. Our guests were blown away by everything, and so were we. Additionally, compared to other venues AND considering the extremely high quality of absolutely everything, the Portofino is an amazing value. We actually had a couple of straight-forward family members say something to the effect of: "You must be spending a fortune!", but truth be told, the Portofino was extremely affordable, but provided a once in a lifetime luxurious experience for us, and for our guests.

As for various upgrades, I definitely recommend ballroom uplights! Eight of them is $200, I believe, but they really added a necessary pop of color. I also think the terrance lighting package made the outside bar festive, but it's a bit overpriced. For that same reason we did NOT add ceremony lighting decor because we were only out there 20 minutes or so, and kept our arch simple. The only downside that I experienced was that because there was an event before ours, we were not able to decorate the ceremony space or ballroom until 4:00pm (our ceremony was at 5:30), which made pre-wedding VERY hectic. But it got done, and everything was perfect nonetheless. Can't recommend this venue enough.

Profile Picture Shana, 6/12/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Accommodations, Event Planning, Linens, Chairs, Outside Cake

The Portofino Hotel is such a great venue for a wedding event.

Life.Film had a privilege to to capture several events at the Hotel in 2016 year. The hotel has a special bridal suites which could fit even a big bridal party, lobby of the hotel is a great spot for the romantic or formal pictures, rooms have a breathtaking ocean view which gives us plenties opportunities to create fantastic photos and videos.

The Portofino Hotel is an ideal place for filming with drone! Imagine: marina, ocean, rocks, sunset - the footage we bring from this venue are always gorgeous.

The ceremony set up located outdoor and faced to the ocean - very beautiful and romantic.

The area of the hotel is a perfect for the photo session, we found millions of spots for that - marina, beach, rocks, parks etc. We couldn't be more happy with the results!

We would definitely recommend this place for every couple!

Watch our videos and photos from the Portofino Hotel here: http://life.film/life-film-at-the-portofino-hotel-marina-redondo-beach-california/

Profile Picture Life, 5/29/16, 17 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

My husband and I got married at the Portofino on October 24th, 2015. To say that our wedding exceeded our expectations is an understatement. Lisa Fleming was our sales coordinator and was so helpful, professional and organized throughout the entire process. She made the process go seamlessly. Additionally, Jenna, our day of coordinator, was excellent. The Portofino itself has breathtaking views, delicious food and very friendly and accommodating staff. I wish I could give this review 6 stars and Lisa Fleming seven :).

Profile Picture Nicole, 9/26/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our ceremony and reception at The Portofino on July 19, 2015 in the Pacific Ballroom. Lisa Fleming, the catering sales manager, was our focal at The Portofino for nine months. She was professional, helpful, knowledgeable, and responsive from the start! Lisa built a great rapport with us beginning with our first meeting at The Portofino. She was so informative with every question we asked, as we did ask a lot of questions! Lisa provided examples and suggestions all along the way. We always felt like we were a priority! The tasting was splendid, the cake from Torrance Bakery was great, and the meals were fantastic on the day-of. Lisa easily solved any hiccups that arose and offered resolutions where necessary. The banquet orders are built specifically for the venue and can be confusing to the customer, but Lisa offered us explanations and required updates. Lisa worked fluidly with our wedding planner who was brought into the planning a couple months before the wedding. It rained on the day of our wedding. The Portofino staff, including Jenna Moore, was very accommodating and assisted in transitioning our ceremony indoors per our request. We have no regrets having our ceremony and reception at The Portofino and would highly recommend it, as well as Lisa Fleming, for your wedding or special occasion!

Profile Picture Darcey, 7/19/15, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Accommodations, Event Planning, Outside Cake, Linens

Absolutely stunning views, incredible service, and OUTSTANDING food! Definitely was the highlight of my entire wedding. So pleased with everything. 100% recommend to anyone!!

Profile Picture Rachelle, 6/26/15, 2 Reviews
4.7

The Portofino Hotel was the perfect place for our wedding reception, and also for our out of town guests to stay. The reception hall was very comfortable and beautiful. The rooms have windows, which allows you to take advantage of having a southern California wedding, both in the day-time, as well as the beautiful views at night. The wedding staff was very helpful in the planning stages, and the day of was really nice. The hall looked beautiful, the food was delicious, and the staff was very responsive. We couldn't have been happier, and our guests thoroughly enjoyed the venue as unique and not a 'large generic' wedding venue.

Profile Picture User5113896, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Absolutely amazing! It's hard to believe we ever considered places like Verandas and La Venta when it should have been SO obvious from the start that the Portofino was the perfect place for our wedding reception. We were blown away by our experience there.

From my very first call with Lisa to our final goodbye on the day after the wedding, she was an absolute all-star. She helped us come up with a perfect, affordable brunch menu (if you're doing a mid-day reception-- don't even think about lunch! Everyone LOVED the brunch and said it was the best wedding food they'd ever had), gave us great leads on vendors, and gave us so much confidence that our reception would go off without a hitch. She even helped me bustle my dress when I arrived at the ballroom-- talk about going above and beyond!

The Bayside Ballroom was spectacular, and it was the perfect size for our 100 guests. The brunch included a chef making chocolate chip pancakes, french toast, and belgian waffles to-order... along with a buffet line of all sorts of other delicious breakfast foods. Everything was fantastic.

One of the best parts of having our reception at the Portofino was that we got to sail away from our wedding! We had some friends sail us off into the sunset on their boat as all our guests lined the wall outside of the ballroom to wave goodbye. It was a very special "exit".

We were treated to 5-star service that night at the hotel, as well (the room is included if you have your wedding there). Everyone really went out of their way to make us feel special and accommodated (on a very busy Valentine's Day, no less!).

The only reason I gave them 4.5 stars for service instead of 5.0 was because the hotel accidentally gave my sister-in-law the wrong cake top and she didn't notice until she was halfway back to SF. The Portofino is planning on giving us a replacement for our 1st anniversary, though :)

We can't say enough positive things about our experience there! True perfection.

Profile Picture Tori, 2/14/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Lisa from the catering department kept me sane during the 2 months of preparation for my daughter's wedding reception. She was quick to answer all of my questions and comments. She was flexible, professional and kind. The venue was beautiful and intimate. All the guests had a wonderful time and could not get enough of the beautiful surroundings. The staff were courteous, helpful and professional. The food was fantastic, the portions were big and tasty.
Thank you so much for a successful reception. I would recommend the Portofino hotel for a wedding venue to everyone.

Profile Picture young, 11/29/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The level of service here is amazing. They were so professional and you cannot beat the view. I had such an incredible wedding day and I know that I owe a lot of that to the Portofino and the staff. My wedding was a dream come true and I paid far less than what I expected. It was as if I spent a million dollars for this venue. I certainly didn't spend anywhere near that but that's how that day felt. I cannot think of a better place to get married in SoCal. Every time I remember my wedding day I smile and that has a lot to do with the Portofino.

Profile Picture Leah, 10/18/14, 4 Reviews
0.0

If your considering this venue for a wedding I would definitely reconsider...better yet if I knew I would go through everything I'm going through now I would have picked another venue.

First off our bar tender Paco was miserable and it showed in the service we received. He was rude to my guests and broke multiple bottle or alcohol, which ended up ruining one of my guests dresses because he didn't clean the alcohol up.

Secondly these people totally ripped us off my bar was supposed to be open bar till 1030pm (covered by us) imagine how mortified I was when at 900pm-915pm my sister comes running to me telling me our guests are being charged for drinks! Not only that but my father in law added money so once open bar was done we could still continue drinking...this story gets better...when I confront the hotel (Shelley the wedding manager and Kim the hotels wedding coordinator) they blame it on my wedding coordinator, who handled everything perfectly, and denied any of the above ever happened...WOW REALLY...and of course they made it a cash bar so there is no receipts to prove they were charged, which they should know since that's how they handle it and shouldn't ask for receipts knowing that!

To top it all off I just got another charge for over 300$ FOR THE BAR!!!! What a joke this place is! Not only have I been humiliated in front of my guests who got charged for drinks so we have already been double charged but now they want to triple charge! I hope this helps another bride to not have to go through what I've been through!!! This had ruined my wedding and left a bad taste in my mouth!!!! BEWARE BOOK THIS PLACE AT YOUR OWN RISK (all this was in contract which they have completely disregarded)

Profile Picture User4554561, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

I just wanted to take a few minuets to write about our amazing wedding. First of all, my now wife, and I had no idea how much effort a wedding could have been. We could not be more impressed and happy with the staff and the team of people who helped us along the way at The Portofino Hotel. Without Kate Foster, the wedding coordinator, for the Portofino Hotel, we would have been lost. From beginning to end she was absolutely the number one person who made this day so special for us. She gave us lots of options and even worked with us to fine tune them. She helped us choose things like our photographer, our florist, and our DJ. She even gave us tons of options with venders, who helped us down to the extra lighting and optional colored table linings and even extra furniture, to make this celebration a truly, one of a kind event. I can't express how fortunate we were to have all of her help from her professionalism, and kindness, to her knowledge and experience with planning weddings. Along the way we had such a pleasant time working with the Potofino Hotel. The evening was so well planned, without a single hitch! The beautiful land scape for pictures felt like we were on a tropical island. Our First Look was in front of the hotel on a beautiful dock with amazing yachts. Our family pictures in the main lobby by the fireplace are unbelievable. The happy hour and Hors d' oeuvres were great, it got all our guest ready for a fun filled evening. We had our ceromony on the lawn next to the ballroom. The sun was out and the ocean view was perfect. The reception was a blast. The food was a hit. We cannot get enough compliments on everything. We are so glad we choose The Portofino Hotel to have our wedding and it will forever be the place we will think of that made our wedding so special. We can't wait to go there every year to have dinner and relive our wonderful memories.

Profile Picture Gary, 8/8/14, 1 Review
4.3

Portofino Hotel is a quaint yet elegant hotel/ballroom that offers seaside views and floor to ceiling windows. Package includes wedding cake from 2 choices of bakeries which makes it helpful during the hectic planning phase. They told us that the ballroom could accommodate over 200 guests, however with the 150 that we had, the room was tight. The hor dourves were a hit with the guests. We only got to try two different kinds but they were wiped out. Dinner was fabulous and the views with the sunset made an awesome backdrop. The bar was run excellently and the drinks were made to order; they were neither too strong nor watered down, they were just right. Hotel is walking distance, so many guests were able to indulge themselves.

Profile Picture User3181368, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews