The Lake House Reviews

The Lake House 3
The Lake House 4
The Lake House 5

Shannon · Married on 08/11/2018

My recent wedding at The Lake House went off without a hitch! Kelly, Paul, Rusty, and the rest of the staff members could not have been more accommodating and helped the day run smoothly, even going above and beyond by baking a special cake for my grandmothers 101 birthday, which we celebrated together at the wedding! The beautiful, rustic building with lake view and the menu was superb with many of our guests saying it was the best food they have ever had at a wedding. Kelly and Paul worked closely with us throughout the entire planning process and they certainly delivered! A beautiful venue with an amazing lake view and gourmet food- there is no doubt in my mind that The Lake House is destined to become one of the premier wedding venues in CT. Our wedding day was absolutely perfect. Thank you so much Kelly and Paul for all of your help in making our wedding day stress-free and memorable!

Sent on 09/16/2018

Sarah · Married on 05/26/2018

Kelli was the first vendor I spoke with at the CT Bridal Expo in January 2018. Immediately, I was impressed with the layout of the venue (the blueprints were displayed), array of options, and beautiful scenic photos of the property. I went through the entire expo and decided to go back to speak with her again. Although my now husband wasn't there I knew he would love it just as much as I did. When I got home I couldn't stop talking about how much I wanted to go visit. Within the week we had an appointment to visit The Lake House. Needless to say we chose to host our wedding, on May 26, at TLH. Everything was supurb! From the wine in the bridal suites when we arrived, to the stunning outdoor ceremony, and of course the outstanding food (which was all the rave amongst guests). The owners of TLH made the entire process simple and enjoyable. Our wedding day was flawless. We couldn't have asked for anything more. We truly hope to attend future events there and highly recommend TLH. Lastly, ignore all of the negative comments and reviews. TLH is prepared and ready to help you make once in a lifetime memories.

The Lake House 6
    The Lake House 13
    The Lake House 14
    The Lake House 15

Sandi · Married on 05/26/2018

My son's wedding was here a few weeks ago. The facility is gorgeous! The decor was just perfect and everything was impeccably clean. Paul and Kelly were extremely helpful, especially in navigating my special dietary needs. The waitstaff was very attentive. I would have no hesitation in recommending this venue!

S · Married on 05/26/2018

The service was excellent and the food was delicious!!!

Kim · Married on 05/26/2018

Great service, friendly staff and good food.

Sent on 06/11/2018

Lindsey · Married on 06/10/2017

0.8
      1.0

Do not book here unless the building is built, functioning and permits have been secured.

When we first got engaged in February 2016 we wanted of course a beautiful, memorable wedding but also a unique wedding and when we found the Lake House we were beyond excited after hearing about the attention to detail, amazing food selection and of course that view. Upon our first meeting we were told the demolition and new venue would be completed by August 2016 but after coming by for a surprise visit in July we found that was no longer true. The completion date went from August to February to March to May 12 to May 18 until finally there was no completion date. Delay after delay we stayed on, believing there would be months worth of weddings before ours and that we had time for our June 10th wedding until 4 weeks before our wedding we were told that touch ups would be done the week of or even possibly the day of which was completely unacceptable. It’s hard to tell who is to blame for the countless pushbacks, is it the Lake house? Is it the construction company? Did ownership get in over their heads? We will never know but what we do know is we wanted more than anything to get married at the Lake House and a month out had to finally cancel. We’re sure once the construction is actually completed it will be a wonderful venue with many beautiful weddings but until then our recommendation is to find another place. If it wasn’t obvious from reading this, it was a terrible experience.

Sent on 05/26/2017

Jana · Married on 07/06/2018

0.4
      0.5

Do not waste your money at this venue. Like so many others we had a HORRIBLE experience booking with The Lake House. We fell in love with the sketches and Kelli's words and quickly signed a contract for July 2018. We were told they would be done in March 2017 and the first wedding would be in May. When my fiance and I arrived in May it was not even close to being done and they made no mention of the weddings being cancelled or postponed. We NEVER received any updates or were told there were delays in building. We based everything off of the one picture we were shown and when we arrived I pointed out to Kelli that already there were elements from the pictures missing on the actual building. She pretended she didn't notice and gave us a shrugged response of "oh I guess they changed their minds." This was not acceptable especially since we were again, not notified! When a month later no more progress had been made we realized we had to move on. The majority of our guests were coming from overseas and had started to book flights for our date and we couldn't risk them coming over for a wedding where the venue was not completed. When we asked for our money back (since we consider it breaking contract when you lie about timelines, aesthetics, and don't update your customers) they were incredibly rude. Kelli responded with more lies about how my parents had been over an hour late to their initial appointment (even though they have TIME STAMPED pictures on their phones from that appointment that clearly show they were on time), about how she had to go out of her way to accommodate my handicapped mother, and how if we continued to pursue getting our deposit back in other ways they would use legal force against us. It was by far the most HORRIFIC experience, especially when your wedding is supposed to be the happiest time of your life and they made the start stressful and miserable. Even though it is finally completed, I would not book with them. Wish I could give 0 stars.

Sent on 07/21/2018

The Lake House's reply:

With past unforeseen delays opening The Lake House, we are keenly aware some of our guests had a stressful experience. It is also an opportunity to be sure our future guests know these problems have all been rectified. The Lake House is now open and providing amazing food, top-notch service, a beautiful lakeside location and most important: happy guests.

Please read the reviews of the people who have actually experienced our facility firsthand. We wish this reviewer much joy and happiness as she moves forward in her married life.

Tanya · Married on 10/14/2017

0.4
      0.5

Another year, another set of canceled weddings. I would like to think they genuinely cared, that things were beyond their control this time around. But it is so hard to believe. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Lake House has some potential, but buyer beware. One day the venue may be good. The grand ballroom, the ceremony in front of the willow tree, the covered patio. It is all there, but all nowhere. For once again, none of it yet exists. We heard from multiple vendors that many unfortunate couples were strung along, each getting their own special excuse of how unforeseen events caused an unescapable issue. Did the Lake House not get tired of these lies?

To book weddings two years in a row and come up empty to me shows a true failure to manage a business and an even worse failure to care about your clients. I can somewhat get over the many delays and headaches we went through trying to understand what was going on with the venue. But I can’t get over the “stories” we were told and the fabricated timeline. Too many items simply proved to be not true, forcing us to cancel our plans there less than 2 months in advance of our wedding day. God knows how long we would have been strung along until they actually canceled, for the venue was not ready when our big day came.

I wish the Lake House the best of luck and for those choosing the venue, a great celebration. But keep in mind what we were sold to what was actually delivered. And keep in mind that we were far from the only ones they did this to. There need be no better proof than this.

Sent on 11/10/2017

Lorinda · Married on 06/18/2016

What a nightmare!
    We booked based on the renovation blueprints in February of 2015 for our June 2016 wedding. The renovation was to be completed by the end of July 2015. In August, after not hearing anything from them, I called Kelli and asked her when the open house was going to be held as I couldn't wait to see the new facility and meet the chef. I was told that there was a delay because they had to get a new construction company, but that the were getting started right away and the building would be done by the end of October. In October I was in the area so I swung by. NOTHING had been done and when I asked Kelli what was going on she told me there was a problem with the abatement from the city and everything was delayed, but not to worry. That had just been cleared up and the construction was to being the next week. It would be finished by March. I was skeptical at this point and asked what the plan was if the construction wasn't done. Kelli told me - it will be done. I said, what's the plan if it's not? She said - it will be done, not finishing by March is not an option. Again, I pressed her for an answer - what's the plan? Well we can always put up a tent. A tent? Next to a construction site? How romantic. But ever the optimist, I said okay. In December I went by to pay my first installment. Not only was the renovation not underway, the BUILDING WAS GONE. There was one all, a slab, and a hole in the ground. I immediately called Kelli who was not in the construction trailer on the site, and asked what was going on. I was told this was much better because they were building the building off site and would be working inside by January. There was no construction equipment, no framing for the foundation, nothing. We found another venue - thank God. I have since visited the site a couple of times. Now, in March, the site hasn't changed at all. It is still a wall, a slab and a hole in the ground. But I understand they are still selling.

Sent on 03/19/2016

The Lake House's reply:

The Lake House Management unfortunately suffered a temporary setback due to structural complications during our renovation. Serious issues were discovered with the foundation leaving no choice but to do a complete rebuild of the facility. This decision was based on safety and concern for our guests and associates. The Lake House will always place safety before profits. The families who were affected were immediately notified and a full refund issued.

The positive news, The Lake House will be completely brand new from it's foundation to the 14’ soaring ceilings and unsurpassed lake views.

Opening its doors in winter of 2016, The Lake House looks forward to creating positive memories one event at a time.