The Icing on the Cake Reviews

224 | Newton, MA

224 Reviews for The Icing on the Cake

Avalon F · Married on 09/15/2019

Best Wedding Cake!

We ordered our wedding cake from Icing on the Cake. The cake was so good. Guests were telling us how much they loved the cake. Icing on the Cake was able to make cupcakes that were nut free and egg free to accommodate some of our guests.

Sent on 09/20/2019

Sabrina Thomas · Married on 08/03/2019

Perfect Wedding Cake

Best cake I've ever tasted! I honestly couldn't say nicer things about Paula and her team. From our first conversation, Paula was so informative and easy to talk to. She showed me a book of cake ideas and worked with my ideas to get the perfect wedding cake. My fiancé was always traveling and she was so accommodating to send me with samples in order for him to taste the cake too! We ended up with the amarerreto and we are still getting comments about how amazing it was! No doubt, you need this cake in your life!

Sent on 09/19/2019

The Icing on the Cake's reply:

Congratulations and thank you!! We were so happy to be a special part of your day! Looking forward to a life-time of cake work:)
    -Paula
  • Jennie

Jennie · Married on 06/29/2019

Beautiful & Delicious

Our cake was beautiful and so delicious! (I can hardly wait until our first anniversary so we can eat our top layer...) TIOC made the planning process and breeze and were very accommodating of my food allergies.

Sent on 10/04/2019
  • Meredith

Meredith · Married on 06/28/2019

Best. Cake. Ever!

I would not be lying to say that the cake was by far the easiest part of our wedding. From the second I talked to Paula on the phone to set up a time to come in and discuss the details she could not have been more accommodating! We had to reschedule a few times due to the Bruins playoffs (Paula’s a fan too so it worked out), but when we met with Paula in person everything just fell into place. She asked all the right questions, and advised us on things we didn’t have answers for (what size cake do you need for 200 guests?), showed us some examples of cakes she has done in the past and asked the big question, “what did you always dream your wedding cake would look like?”. It’s like she could read my mind because the cake could not have been more perfect! The colors matched our decor, the rope and grommets matched our nautical Cape Cod theme, and the cake itself was delicious! The best part of meeting with Paula was of course getting to taste the different flavors of cakes they make – this was the real hard part – deciding which ones to choose, they were all amazing! After that meeting we knew we could check one big item off our to-do list and never look back. Now we just need to come up with reasons we need cake to work with Paula again :)

Sent on 09/25/2019
  • Krysia

Krysia E. Wazny McClain · Married on 10/13/2018

Delicious Variety from the Icing on the Cake!

We wanted a local cake baker to make our wedding cake and were thrilled with the Icing on the Cake in Newton. Paula sat down with my mom and I to discuss (and try!) their cake options. By the end of the consultation, she had drawn by hand what our cake and icing design might look like, and we were hooked by how delicious every flavor combo was. There were so many scrumptious varieties to choose from.

In the end, we ordered a tiered cake with several flavors. Some of our guests tried all of them, and days later more raved about how tasty the cake had been. All around, it was an easy experience with excellent outcomes.

Sent on 11/12/2018

Kasey · Married on 09/22/2018

We had a great experience with Icing on the Cake. The consultation was easy, the cakes were delicious, and everything was very affordable. We opted to do a smaller two tier cake for cutting with a larger sheet cake in the back. The cake cutting cake was adorable and exactly how we envisioned it and the sheet cake was equally delicious! We highly recommend Icing on the Cake!

Sent on 09/19/2018

Brian · Married on 09/22/2018

Icing on the Cake was one of 3 bakeries that our reception venue works with. After visiting each location and tasting at each, choosing Icing on the Cake was an easy decision. We found that not only did their cake taste the best (probably the #1 decision factor), but they gave us a much more personalized cake (as opposed to some other bakeries that are more like factories with no personal touch) that really met our vision. We found Paula extremely easy to work with - she made our entire experience delightful. Would highly recommend Icing on the Cake!

Sent on 09/28/2018

Caitlin · Married on 09/22/2018

This bakery had a partnership with our venue and so we were told the cake included in our package would be coming from here. We already knew that they made great cakes, as my husband has a family member who works here. When we came in to do the tasting, we were completely blown away by our experience! Paula was wonderful from showing us the pictures of all the different options to helping work with us to make our cake truly special. She was able to match the purple my sister was wearing in the ribbons in our cake without even seeing the dress in person! In fact, I’m pretty sure she just did it based on the description. We had three different cake flavors, all of which were wonderful, and we are already looking forward to the free anniversary cake that we got as a gift for giving them a picture of our cake! As a side note, we had a pretty tricky cake topper that was supposed to be two pieces (a bride and a groom) that easily fit together. It was clear from when I took them out of the box that this was not going to be as easy to make work as it looked in the picture – and Paula and her team make it work AND make it look effortless. Working with this bakery was a joy and we will be sure to support them in the future!

Sent on 10/06/2018

Sarah · Married on 09/15/2018

We really enjoyed our experience with The Icing on the Cake! They made us feel heard and valued from the tasting through to the reception. Their cakes are DELICIOUS and beautiful, so creative! We loved the Boston skyline they did for our Boston wedding. Highly recommend!!

Sent on 09/16/2018

katie · Married on 09/01/2018

Beautiful & Delicious

Icing on the Cake does a phenomenal job. Their cakes are stunning and they are absolutely delicious. We chose a different flavor for each tier, and the owner helped us design the cake of our dreams. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 05/09/2020

Karen · Married on 08/18/2018

Oh my god. Thank goodness my venue has TIOTC included in their package or else we wouldn’t have found them. My cake was EXACTLY the way it was drawn out for us, and of course every tier was DELICIOUS!! We had so many compliments from our guests. We can’t wait to eat our top tier on our 1 year anniversary!!!

Sent on 09/11/2018

Allison · Married on 08/11/2018

Icing on the cake and Paula were great to work with! Our tasting was a lot of fun and Paula understood our vision and helped us create the perfect cake for our wedding day! Guests were raving to us about how delicious the cake was! We went with a chocolate raspberry and white cake raspberry for our three tiered cake. The design was very simple with textured sides and we had our florist add fresh flowers. It looked gorgeous and tasted even better! We just wish we had more on our wedding night! We are looking forward to getting our anniversary cake from Icing on the Cake and we wouldn’t hesitate to use them for other occasions. Highly recommended by us for all Boston cake lovers!!

Sent on 09/21/2018

Heather · Married on 08/04/2018

Thank you so much to Icing on the Cake for making our delicious and beautiful wedding cake for August 4, 2018! As the granddaughter of a baker, I had a very specific idea of what my wedding cake would taste like and Icing on the Cake was the perfect fit! During my consultation, Paula worked with me to design the look of my cake and select the best flavors. In addition, she took special care to support me in taking some designs from my grandfather’s previous cakes to incorporate into my wedding cake. I am very grateful and would 100% recommend Icing on the Cake!

Sent on 08/10/2018

Tegan · Married on 06/02/2018

Our wedding cake was DELICIOUS! I only wish I could've eaten more of it on our wedding day. Paula was so helpful during the tasting and helped us come up with a beautiful design that fit our theme. The day of, the cake looked so beautiful it seemed a shame to cut it. Everything went smoothly with the delivery and we couldn't be happier. We highly recommend The Icing on the Cake!

Sent on 09/01/2018

denise · Married on 05/05/2018

Used Icing on the cake for my daughters shower and wedding cakes. Worked with Paula who was so nice and helpful. The cakes were beautiful and more importantly delicious! People talked about the basket weave shower cake for weeks. The wedding cake was simple but elegant and beautiful. Thank you to everyone at "The icing on the cake" for making everything so easy and beautiful!!
    Denise McKeown

Sent on 05/11/2018

Nikita · Married on 04/27/2018

TIOTC was our FAVORITE part of our wedding. From the day we did the tasting with Paula and experienced so many delicious flavors, we knew that this was the place to get our cake. We had a large wedding (~225 guests) and wanted a small ceremonial cake for cutting, and then sheet cakes in multiple flavors to serve our guest count. Paula was so accommodating in this! She helped us imagine the perfect design for our cake, and drew on a beautiful Boston skyline as part of our wedding theme. We got so many compliments on the cake and really only wish we could have eaten more!

Sent on 06/02/2018

Ashley · Married on 04/21/2018

My cake from The Icing on the Cake came with the package at my venue and boy am I happy it did. Paula organized a very comfortable and informative tasting with many flavor choices and a full book of her past work to gauge our likes/dislikes. My blue and silver evening in the city wedding was taken to the next level with a crisp white cake, with silver bling, and the skyline outlined across the center. Inside, my plain husband's taste of just chocolate or vanilla was taken to the next level when Paula suggested funfetti cake/frosting for one of the main layers. She organized the entire delivery with the venue and I was left to just eat cake! Many guests told me the worst part about the wedding was that they were not allowed to have two slices of cake, because it was SO good. Overall, Paula was the perfect baker to turn my big day into an edible treat for my friends and family.

Sent on 05/21/2018

Lauren · Married on 04/21/2018

Paula was great! We met with her to do a cake tasting and she was fabulous from the start. She was willing to work with us so that we got exactly what we wanted. We went with 4 different cupcakes flavors and each was better than the next, we had no leftovers. Her pricing is very reasonable as well! Would highly recommend Paula and Icing on the Cake, so delicious!!

Sent on 06/04/2018
  • O

Olivia · Married on 02/24/2018

Paula was the best. We wanted a small cake with multiple flavors to satisfy the most amount of guests possible. All of the cake tasted amazing and we had a hard time picking three flavors. We ended up with Amaretto, red velvet and carrot cake. I love carrot cake and mentioned that I prefer some crunch and Paula offered to add bigger walnuts and coconut flakes. The cake was absolutely delicious and our guests LOVED it! I kept hearing that it was the best cake they had ever tasted.

We also had a couple of guests with allergies/gluten intolerance. The Icing on the Cake provided gluten free cupcakes that were individually packaged to avoid any contamination. Our friends and family with allergies really appreciated the thought and said the cupcakes were the best gluten-free dessert they had ever tried!

I am looking forward to picking up our anniversary cake in six months. We ate the top as soon as we got back from our honeymoon! Thank you so much Paula and The Icing on the Cake!!

Sent on 07/29/2018

Meredith · Married on 11/12/2017

We LOVED our cake. From the first meeting, we knew Paula was someone we wanted to work with and trusted- she was so knowledgeable about our venue, the type of design we were going for, and was very thoughtful in coming up with the best value (price) for our guest count. Beyond that the cake was out of this world. The day of, the cake was as beautiful as I'd imagined and tasted unbelievable.

Sent on 12/19/2017

Tia · Married on 11/11/2017

We've received the most compliments about how delicious AND beautiful our wedding cake was! It was the perfect touch to our fairy tale wedding and we'd recommend Icing on the Cake to anyone!!

Sent on 12/14/2017

Brandon · Married on 10/28/2017

Paula was super easy to work with, highly knowledgeable and professional. The cake was so flavorful and delicious, and the presentation was exactly what we wanted. Lemon/raspberry was incredible! We'll definitely be back for an anniversary cake! Thanks Paula!

Sent on 01/05/2018

The Icing on the Cake's reply:

This is what we love about our job....we get to be a part of couples special day in a special way!
    Thank you & we look forward to more great cakes!!
    Happy New Year!
    -Paula

Lizzie · Married on 10/07/2017

Paula was a pleasure to work with. She was very thoughtful and helpful throughout the design and ordering process, and realistic in advising us on quantity and cost. She created a lovely art deco design for us in our wedding colors.

Sent on 03/04/2018

Caitlin · Married on 09/29/2017

I had a sentimental attachment to the Icing on the Cake because my grandmother had used this bakery for so many things when I was growing up, but after our one-on-one cake tasting with Paula my husband was just as sold as I was! Every flavor we tried was insanely good, it was honestly hard to make a decision, and Paula’s work is so gorgeous. She had so many ideas for our cake and sat with us patiently sketching out something that was uniquely ours! Every guest at our wedding raved that the cake was incredible – and we caught more than one person grabbing second slice by the end.

Sent on 02/26/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 09/02/2017

We were so happy we chose Paula and Icing on the Cake to make our Wedding Cake! Paula was absolutely lovely to work with and made the planning process easy and seamless. We brought pictures of ideas that we wanted for the design and she sketched a few drawings which were great-- the end result blew us away and our cake was gorgeous!

Most importantly, the cake tasted like heaven. We went with a three tier cake which flavors were vanilla amaretto, red velvet, and marble-- which was the perfect! I wish I had a piece in front of me now because I'm still remembering how delicious it was-- moist, fluffy cake, and the filing was amazing!

I would recommend The Icing on The Cake to anyone, and I can't wait to come up with another event to get our next cake from them!

Sent on 09/05/2017