The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa Reviews

The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa 7
  • Melinda

Melinda · Married on 09/13/2019

Had the best day

It was a great experience. They were extremely helpful in planning and with the music with my playlist.

Sent on 09/18/2019
    The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa 8

Caroline · Married on 07/20/2019

Amazing place!

This review is for the Ponds at Bolton Valley. Our planners Julia Preston and Emily Ellis were the most incredible planners throughout the process and were amazing to work with. They answered every detailed question and request and threw in so many unique touches to make our day extra special (like a giant five tiered peanut butter cake for our dog)
    The venue and grounds were beautiful! Loved the bridal suite at the Ponds for pre-ceremony to stay cool...
    The food was incredible --our favorite was our Friday night welcome bbq with the best pulled pork, mac and cheese and potato salad!-- but everything throughout the weekend was so good.
    Can't say enough good things about this place!

Sent on 07/29/2019
  • Mibi

Mibi · Married on 07/06/2019

Wonderful experience

The Essex was the perfect venue for us and I am so grateful to our wedding coordinator Arienne and the entire staff for making our day amazing! With The Essex providing the catering, wedding coordinator, equipment (i.e. tables, chairs, linens), much of the usual stress of planning a wedding was alleviated and everything ran so smoothly. In terms of the venue, the lawn and atrium are gorgeous spaces for the ceremony and reception, respectively. Our guests were largely from out of town and it was so convenient for all of them to be able to stay at the resort (which also provides courtesy transportation from the Burlington airport). Our wedding coordinator, Arienne, was incredibly responsive and helpful with inquiries and was organized, calm and flexible throughout the entire planning process and on the wedding day. The food and cake were so delicious and we had many guests with dietary restrictions for whom the chefs made several special plates. All of our guests were very complimentary of venue and services provided. I cannot say enough positive things about the Essex and highly recommend for a wonderful wedding experience.

Sent on 07/23/2019
    The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa 9

Pam Simays · Married on 06/23/2019

A beautiful venue in all ways!

Words cannot express how grateful we are to Arienne and the staff at the Essex for our wonderful wedding. From day one they were welcoming and accommodating, always answering emails promptly and with great care, oftentimes answering the same questions multiple times. On the day of, Arienne made something that could have been quite stressful quite easy and could not have been more helpful. Every piece of our event turned out exactly as I had imagined it. The food was phenomenal, the cake beautiful and delicious, the staff superb. When we entered the Atrium on the way to the east lawn to begin the ceremony I was blown away by what it had been transformed into. It was simply gorgeous. Thank you to everyone at The Essex for helping us to make lasting memories in a beautiful setting.

Sent on 06/29/2019

Grant · Married on 09/16/2018

Amazing! The Ponds is an absolutely gorgeous venue and the staff at the Essex was so helpful in answering all our questions and providing day of coordination! Emily was extremely helpful and helped to make our special day positively perfect. A definite "must see" for those interested in a rustic yet classy venue with breathtaking views but not super interested in being on a ski run or golf course.

Sent on 09/27/2018

Marissa · Married on 09/02/2018

I cannot say enough positive things about the Ponds at Bolton Valley and The Essex Resort. From the moment we booked the venue through our Wedding day on Sept 2 2018, we were treated with exceptional service and care. Emily, our Wedding Coordinator at The Essex was there for us every step of the way and was always quick to answer my (many) questions! My parents also thoroughly enjoyed working with her. The staff during the wedding were amazing and incredibly professional. The food was amazing and many told me it was the best food they have had at a wedding, ever! The Ponds is one of the most beautiful venues in Vermont with outstanding views. Emily truly made this the best day of our lives at our dream venue!!

Sent on 09/07/2018
    The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa 10

kailie · Married on 06/30/2018

Definitely recommend this venue to anyone looking to having all of their festivities on-site. I could not have picked a more perfect venue (East Lawn/Atrium) for our wedding that fit our styles, and the woodsy but modern feel we were going for. The resort itself is super family friendly as well with goats, bonfires, and pools! I cannot speak higher of the service we got from the salon, to the kitchen, to my personal highlight, Emily! Emily was there every step of the way and was always on top of everything.

Sent on 07/16/2018
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 06/16/2018

A picturesque venue with amazing food

My husband and I planned our Vermont wedding from Chicago, so we knew we would need a responsive venue in order to pull everything together since we had limited time in Vermont beforehand. When I met Emily at the Essex and she brought me to the Ponds I knew we had found our venue. Emily is incredibly professional, responsive, and willing to offer suggestions. I really appreciated her input throughout our wedding planning process, she was not pushy but did let me know if she did not think something would work. She also had suggestions for vendors, all of our vendors were from her suggestions list and they exceeded our expectations.
    The wedding day went perfect, Emily was there every step of the way, but again not overbearing. The venue was put together beautifully, Emily put out a lot of the decorations we brought and made the space look great. The food at our wedding was so delicious too. We did have feed back for the chefs during our menu tasting, they clearly listened because the food was beyond delicious.
    The Essex has made the Ponds into a stunning venue space, prepares incredible food, and Emily was a great wedding coordinator to work with. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for their wedding venue!

Sent on 11/12/2018

Susi · Married on 06/02/2018

My husband and I were married at The Ponds at Bolton, VT and we are SO HAPPY with our experience!!! We HIGHLY recommend this venue to all future couples!!! The food was excellent and so many guests commented that this was one of the most beautiful weddings they had ever attended. The scenery of VT is amazing in itself, with The Pond and Camel's Hump in the background, but a lot of credit for our perfect day goes to SHANA, our amazing wedding coordinator!!

Not only did we sign with The Ponds as our venue site because of our experiences with Shana, but she was also my wedding coordinator, planner, vendor-guide, wedding advice-giver, and friend in so many ways. She went out of her way for us countless times and exceeded all of our expectations.

Shana was always responsive to every single one of my (countless) emails, met with me/my family several times, provided advice and guidance, set-up our venue to make it look beautiful and helped with take-down. She would email me back within a day, even while on her vacation!

The little details made a huge difference for us as well - one of the waitstaff came to us on the dock after the ceremony while we were taking pictures to offer appetizers and hand us a drink - this was so nice! The food was delicious, the venue site was beautiful, and our day could not have been more amazing. Thank you to The Essex and to Shana for the wonderful memories that will last a lifetime! We are so grateful - Susi and Paul

Sent on 06/20/2018

Terry · Married on 05/05/2018

My daughter's reception was held at The Atrium at The Essex . Emily Ellis was our wedding planner and she did a fabulous job! She was always willing to meet with us and gave us great advice. Our guests remarked about the great food, the accommodations and the lovely staff. We are so grateful to The Essex for making my daughter's big day so memorable!

Sent on 05/27/2018

Amy · Married on 09/03/2017

Our wedding at the Essex beyond exceeded our expectations. Our wedding coordinator Shana was absolutely amazing! The service was impecable. The food was delicious!!! The atrium is such a beautiful room!! We were so pleased with everything!!!!

Sent on 09/13/2017

TJ & Brigid · Married on 08/19/2017

My wife and I had our reception at The Essex on August 19th, 2017 and it was literally the best day of our lives up to this point and The Essex played a huge role in that. From the start of the wedding planning process Shana made us feel so comfortable and at ease with the process and the big day. As we searched at other venues we knew from the second we met Shana and was introduced to the staff and the venue that we found exactly what we were looking for. Shana was super helpful and accommodating leading up to the special day and was just as great on our wedding day to help us relax and enjoy the day worry free. We can't thank Shana and the entire staff enough for everything they did to make our wedding day a day we will never ever forget.

Sent on 09/05/2017

Elizabeth · Married on 08/06/2017

We got married at The Essex this past Sunday, August 6, 2017, and we couldn't have asked for better staff or a better place to celebrate our big day! Both Shana and Emily were MORE than helpful and on top of every little detail throughout the entire wedding planning process that made everything come together so smoothly and stress-free for us. We would highly recommend this gorgeous Vermont venue to any couple who is looking to have the most memorable day of their life!
    Elizabeth & Rich

Sent on 08/13/2017

Ali · Married on 08/05/2017

This review is long overdue and exceedingly well-deserved! Our wedding day was perfect at the Ponds! Nestled in the scenic mountainside of Bolton Valley, the Ponds provides the most secluded, intimate, special place for a wedding. Shana is incredible! She is responsive and works hard to meet every single want and need for the couple, and for us that was two brides and two bride moms!
    The food was delicious! The flexibility offered through the talented skillset of the chefs at the culinary resort, allow you to fully design your own menu, which is extremely unique and supportive of all budgets! The staff on the day are attentive and ensure that you have everything you need through the whirlwind!
    A very important piece of advice that made our weekend even more special and personal, was doing our room block at the Bolton Valley Ski Resort, just a mile up the mountain. With the size of our wedding, we fully booked out the resort, making the mountain completely ours for the weekend! They provided shuttles to and from the venue and gave us the space to host a welcoming party, an after party and offer a plethora of fun and games for our guests including disc golf, volleyball, basketball, hiking, corn hole and much much more!
    THANK YOU SHANA FOR MAKING OUR DAY PERFECT!

Sent on 09/27/2017

Michele · Married on 07/29/2017

I cannot say enough good things about the essex resort, their entire staff, and specifically their off-site location the ponds, where we had our actual wedding celebration! The venue is absolutely breathtaking (we just got our pictures and they are unreal!) and it doesn't break the bank compared to what's out there! They provide pretty much everything you need, with the option to make it all your own with flowers and details, which was a huge relief to me, someone planning it from afar! With so many "barn" options in the area, I found the mountain elegance of the ponds so refreshing and a bit of a lighter/happier feeling option which I think really showed in not only the pictures, but the overall amazing time all of our guests had. I'm still hearing from them how beautiful the venue was! The location really speaks for itself as it doesn't get much better in my mind! That all being said, more than anything, it was Emily and her team, making the entire weekend seamless and worry free, that truly made the weekend perfect for us. We had welcome drinks for our guests on Friday night at the Essex Resort, and our ceremony and reception at the ponds on Saturday night, and Emily helped coordinate every detail prior to make sure nothing was missed! She was also there the day of, making sure everything was going according to plan, and helping with those few last minute issues (that always happen!) which was amazingly reassuring to have on the big day! Overall, again, I could not give the venue, and staff, a higher review - they helped make our day truly magical!

Sent on 08/23/2017

Alex · Married on 07/08/2017

Shana Farer-Feld was our wedding planner and we couldn't have been happier! We got married over a year ago but the day is still fresh in my mind. She was so responsiveness during the planning months, very willing to entertain ideas about food/beverage/setup in order to accommodate our budget, flexible and attentive on the big day (she did a lot of the table setup herself!), and just a plain joy to work with. She understood our needs and NEVER made us feel rushed or judged. It was truly a calming and effortless process to work with Shana during the prep week and of course the wedding day itself...she even brought us drinks right after the ceremony knowing we'd be too busy to get them ourselves. We'd get married again next year just to work with Shana and the folks at The Essex again! (*I think Shana now works at The Stowe Mountain Lodge, so if The Essex Resort isn't your style, look her up in Stowe.)

Sent on 09/01/2018
    The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa 11

Megan · Married on 05/13/2017

My rating above is based solely on the amazing work of our wedding coordinator, Emily Ellis, and the amazing staff at the Essex. The salon at The Essex left little to be desired and their review is written below my glowing review of The Essex. Emily Ellis was was amazing throughout the entire process including the day of. We were married at The Ponds, but stayed at The Essex, rented the fire pit, and had our rehearsal bunch there. All of the staff were professional, polite, kind, and accommodating. My husband and I couldn't get over how well they coordinated everything. The food was absolutely delicious. My wedding guests couldn't stop talking about it. I have gluten free family members and The Essex didn't hesitate to accomate them. Emily even went out and bought gluten free graham crackers for smores the night prior to the wedding. The Ponds was gorgeous! We could not have asked for a more perfect Venue. It was private and the grounds were amazing. Any time I emailed Emily with questions or concerns, she responded quickly and was very helpful. It was worth every penny.

My only complaint was the salon where we had our hair and make-up done. At first, I was talking with Nicole, who didn't respond to me in a timely fashion. Emily quickly fixed this when I brought it to her attention and put me in touch with someone else. I found some, not all, the girls doing salon services to be inexperienced. If you get hair and make-up done there, ask for Chelsea. The girl doing my hair the day of nearly ruined it, but Chelsea was able to come over and fix it for her. I had also wanted to schedule massages, manicures, and pedicures for my bridal part (a total of 4 ladies including myself), but I was told they did not have enough staff to handle all of the nail services, so I had to book at another spa. This was a very big inconvenience. I would recommend any bride find an outside cosmetologist to do your hair and make-up.

Sent on 05/15/2017

Mariah · Married on 01/13/2017

I can not say enough good things about having my wedding at The Essex Resort & Spa. Everything was amazing, from the quality of the service, to the delicious food, and the beautiful venue. We decided to have the ceremony and the reception in the Apex room and it was truly magical. The staff was extremely accommodating and our wedding planner Shana Farer-Feld was beyond words in how wonderful she was to work with. We not only had an amazing wedding at this venue, we were able to set up a romantic couples massage at the Spa for some newlywed relaxation time! If you are searching for a professional staff, beautiful venue, and an amazing experience to host one of the most magical days of your life look no further the Essex Resort & Spa is that place!!

Sent on 01/24/2017

Amy · Married on 09/04/2016

Thanks to the extraordinary service provided by the team at The Essex combined with the picturesque setting and ambiance we had the wedding of our dreams! We would not have changed a single thing and our wedding guests have done nothing but rave about the event. We would absolutely recommend The Essex as a wedding venue. Thanks so much to Emily, Shana and the entire team at The Essex for coordinating our perfect wedding day dream!

Sent on 09/07/2016

Stephanie · Married on 08/05/2016

We had the wedding of our dreams at the Essex Resort on August 5, 2016. The grounds are beautiful and are the perfect backdrop for wedding photos. Shana coordinated our reception in the Atrium. In the months leading up to the wedding she was always available to answer our questions and help with anything we needed. We are so grateful for her flexibility working within our budget and accommodating our needs. She is incredibly creative and went above and beyond to help us bring our ideas to life. She set up the room beautifully and we didn’t have to worry about anything on our wedding day. We had a few minor hiccups and even though they weren’t related to the Essex Resort and she stepped in to remedy them for us without hesitation. We truly felt that she had all the details under control and we could relax and enjoy our special day in the company of our guests. We were also pleased at how well she worked with our other vendors. It was clear to us that she has an outstanding rapport with the other vendors. And, of course, the food was exceptional at the Essex Resort. They were also very accommodating to our guests with food allergies. We are truly grateful to Shana and the Essex Resort and we highly recommend the Essex Resort and Spa.
    -Stephanie & Patrick

Sent on 11/06/2016

Allysa · Married on 05/14/2016

My husband and I had always wanted to have our wedding at The Ponds, but were unsure if we would ever be able to afford the venue. After looking into some other venues, we still could not stop thinking about The Ponds and decided to go ahead and inquire. We immediately heard back from Shana Farer-Feld who informed us that they were more than willing to work with our budget so that we could have the wedding of our dreams, at the venue we felt was the perfect fit. Shana was with us every step of the way. She was very attentive to our needs and responded in a timely manner whenever we contacted her. Living out of state while planning a Vermont wedding had its challenges, but Shana made the process so smooth and I always felt that we were in good hands. Even when things didn’t go exactly as planned, I felt at ease knowing Shana and her team were there to support us. Overall, this venue is breathtaking with an amazing view of the Vermont Mountains. We had our ceremony outside next to the pond and the scenery was so beautiful. The space inside for the reception was perfect for an intimate wedding and its beauty is truly unmatched. I cannot praise Shana and The Essex staff enough. The food and beverage service was superb and all our guests commented on how wonderful the staff made them feel. Special shout out to Deb who is an absolute gem; she took care of us the whole night and was truly one of the nicest people we have ever met. The food was delicious and our cake was exactly what we had wanted. Shana and The Essex helped us to create the most perfect wedding day. We could not have asked for anything better. We highly recommend The Essex and their services, as well as The Ponds as a venue.

Sent on 05/17/2016

Amanda · Married on 05/06/2016

If you are looking for a more intimate venue with the best wedding reception food you have ever tasted in your life, look no further than The Essex. Shana Farer-Feld and her team put together an absolutely perfect reception, rehearsal dinner, and post-wedding brunch for us. Shana was always responsive and put up with a lot of emails from me and my in-laws during the planning process. Bless her. Although I grew up in the area, I live out of state now and she made planning much less stressful with frequent communication and attention to detail. She had excellent recommendations and advice and her team made everything happen without missing a beat. Even the tiniest hiccup (which in hindsight was not a big deal at all) was addressed and resolved without anyone noticing at all.

We had an offsite ceremony, so I can't comment on The Essex as a ceremony cite. As for the reception and other events, however, the food and beverage service was top notch. Shana arranged a beautiful menu tasting during the planning process and the food was just as wonderful on the day of the reception. Our guests universally said that it was the best reception food they had ever tasted. The pastry shop at The Essex also provided our amazing wedding cake. I sent Shana a picture of a cake that I liked and the team executed it flawlessly. It was simple and elegant, and the cake itself was the best I've ever had. The food and beverage service for our other events was excellent as well.

I also have to compliment Shana on her knowledge of, and excellent working relationship with, my other vendors particularly my DJ and florist. Everyone worked together to create an absolutely perfect day. We couldn't have asked for anything better.

Sent on 05/17/2016

Alex · Married on 12/27/2015

This is a great place to have a wedding reception. They catered to our every need, including ice sculptures and an intimate family style seating arrangement. It was also great to have a wedding coordinator to think of everything we forgot and ensure the day of goes smoothly. Overall, the entire staff, venue, and flexibility are unmatched. It also helps that they have an amazing culinary team that put together a meal that will impress anyone!

Sent on 12/29/2015

Mary Ann · Married on 10/17/2015

The Inn at Essex Resort provided a wonderful venue! Exceptional food and service!
    Shana was a professional, friendly, and efficient. It was a wonderful day!

Sent on 10/25/2015

Laura · Married on 10/17/2015

BEST PLACE TO GET MARRIED. First off- Shana is awesome and answered all our questions. She was so easy to work with. The Essex location is awesome. I was able to meet with Shana before the wedding and went through all the small details. We originally wanted to have our ceremony outside but it was so cold that we decided to have it inside and it was perfect. The food was amazing. Also after the dancing was over, we were able to have a bon fire outside and then who ever wanted to stay late at the tavern bar could do so. Highly recommend The Essex for a wedding venue !

Sent on 10/27/2015