The Drake Hotel Reviews

The Drake Hotel 3
  • Jeanne

Jeanne Fairchild · Married on 10/26/2019

Best Experience of our lives

Literally our experience at The Drake was incredible! Their entire team was so incredibly friendly and accommodating. We were so lucky they had a date available for our big day. Everything from the service, to the food, to the bridal suite, to the customer service was exceptional. They went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed!

Sent on 11/05/2019

Joy Perlman · Married on 08/17/2019

The Drake made a fairy tale wedding for my daughter!

My daughters wedding in the Gold Coast room at the Drake was the most elegant, beautiful affair I have ever witnessed. Shaun Rajah at the Drake was unbelievable, his professionalism and class showed in every are of the wedding. The entire weekend was a dream come true. Elegant, classy, beautiful the highest quality of service made this event the most wonderful wedding ever! I can not recommend Shaun or the Drake enough! Actually all of the staff from the check in staff, to the bell man, the bar staff, the dining staff and everyone in-between were warm, welcoming and wonderful! The Drake is the place to have your once in a lifetime affair!

Sent on 09/11/2019

Kavita C · Married on 07/06/2019

Shaun Rajah was the best coordinator!!

The Drake itself is an iconic building & we got married in the Gold Coast room, which wowed all our guests. But what made getting married in the Drake so great, was working with Shaun Rajah.

We had a 300 person multiple-day Indian wedding, and Shaun helped execute with perfection. We had 4 parents who were hyper involved and always asking many questions, and Shaun fielded their questions/comments/concerns easily. While sometimes messages got lost through our deluge of emails, Shaun always made time to meet in person and was always impeccable with execution. He whipped his team into shaped and spent countless hours making our wedding perfect. From our guests’ perspective, they thought the wedding was perfect logistically & and all of the Drake’s staff treated our guests with such hospitality.

Truly, getting married at the Drake was a dream – would highly recommend to anyone looking for a classic wedding & working with the best coordinator!

Sent on 07/29/2019
  • Bridget

Bridget Bergman · Married on 06/01/2019

The Perfect Chicago Wedding

We celebrated our wedding at The Drake on 6.1.19. From cocktail hour in the Palm Court (one of the most beautiful rooms in Chicago) to the champagne parade to the beautiful Gold Coast Room - everything about our wedding at The Drake was exquisite. Every time that we went to The Drake for planning, we received the best service and felt like family. We worked with Shaun Rajah who is absolutely incredible, knowledgeable, and a joy to work with. The Gold Coast room has great natural light, is beautiful and warm as the night goes on, and is a wonderful piece of Chicago history. The Drake was the perfect venue for us!

The Drake Hotel 4
    Sent on 06/14/2019
  • savi

savi · Married on 10/26/2018

Best team ever!

The team at The Drake is number one in Chicago for weddings and they deserve every bit of that praise. Our coordinators Antoinette and Bryce are the most knowledgeable people in the industry. Their attention to detail is immaculate. Antoinette went above and beyond for our wedding, advising us and giving us unique ideas every step of the way! And on the actual day, everything went without a hiccup, ran on-time, and our guests were completely stunned with our events. We dreamt about getting married at The Drake, but they made our wedding even better than what we could dream about. If you're looking for a venue and a team that is the absolute best, get married at The Drake - Chicago, and work with Antoinette!

Sent on 11/18/2019

gail · Married on 10/15/2018

A Dream Come True

From my very first meeting with Shaun, I knew he would take care of me. (And he wasn’t even my wedding consultant yet.) My family and I love the tea service at the Palm Court, but we always had trouble getting reservations. When a passing service member asked how we were enjoying our tea and if there was anything he could do, we asked about getting in more frequently. Shaun gave us his card and said the next time we want to come in but can’t get a reservation, give him a call. We never did, but I was lucky enough to be matched with him when filling out an application online for a wedding quote at the Drake.

From the first day we walked the space until the last moment on my wedding day, Shaun went above and beyond my expectations. He was able to offer his expertise with vendors and provide options for our wedding day. Shaun was very responsive when it came to all my questions. He made me feel very comfortable and never steered me wrong in the selection process. For instance, I was initially skeptical about including a “champagne parade” at the beginning of my reception. However, Shaun knew that my family and I were champagne connoisseurs and told us to reconsider. A tradition at The Drake, white-gloved servers, each holding a bottle of champagne, trot out to lively music and pour every flute at once. We loved it.

Furthermore, Shaun was always in my corner, especially when unexpected issues occurred. The week before the wedding day, all of our hotels service members, including hotel housekeeping, doorman, and wait staff, went on strike. Shaun immediately told me not to panic and said he “had it handled.” He was able to bring in great service staff so that we didn’t notice a change in our big day. Furthermore, he made me feel calm and confident that things would run smoothly, and they did.

My wedding went beyond my expectations, and I enjoyed every minute of it. We had a hospitality suite that started on the Thursday prior to the wedding so guests could enjoy a glass of wine and a snack. I highly recommend doing this as it is great for guests to spend more time with friends and relatives that they do not get to see very often.

Shaun shows care, compassion, and professionalism in every detail. I left our wedding weekend wanting to celebrate my 5-year wedding anniversary at the Drake and do it all over again.

The Drake Hotel 5
    The Drake Hotel 6
    Sent on 10/19/2018
  • Gena

Gena Biossat · Married on 08/10/2018

Treated like a Princess

Words cannot express the level of excellence Shaun Rajah and his team at The Drake Hotel bring to every interaction. From pre-planning to the actual event, he was our personal Superman, saving the day every step of the way. We were probably one of the most high maintenance clients he has ever worked with LOL, because we kept forgetting to get our choices to him. However, Shaun handled us with grace and elegance, giving us gentle reminders of what the hotel needed from us at any given time. There is no detail that goes unnoticed with Shaun, so believe me when I say the day could not have been more perfect. I have seen him interact with other clients too, and all I can say is, he makes every person he interacts with feel like royalty. He made our wedding so incredible, our friends and family are still calling us to tell us that it was the most amazing wedding they have ever attended.

Sent on 05/14/2019

Shifali · Married on 08/04/2018

My husband and I got married at the Drake hotel on 8/4/18 in the Gold Coast ballroom, and it was truly the best day of our lives! I cannot say enough about Shaun, the catering manager (but so much more), and the Drake Hotel. Our guests not only commented on the obvious beauty of the hotel and the Gold Coast ballroom, but also on the customer service and guest services, which exceeded all expectations. Personally, Shaun and the Drake Hotel staff have become family. Shaun especially is always extremely responsive, even if he’s traveling or swamped during wedding season (as he was). He made us feel like we were the only couple he was working with. My husband and I feel so thankful for the Drake hotel and Shaun. If you want a stress-free, gorgeous wedding a lifetime in the premier hotel - do not hesitate to book the Drake! My husband and I also had the privilege of staying in the Princess Diana Suite, which was even more beautiful than imagined. The views are breathtaking, the decor is timeless, and the history makes it unique and special. We have stayed in hotels all over the world, but no hotel will ever match up to the Drake. We are fortunate to live just a block away, so we can witness its beauty and re-live the memory of our wedding day every day! Stay here for an experience of a lifetime, and if you are planning a spectacular event, the Drake Hotel should be at the top of your list!

Sent on 08/22/2018

Tiffany · Married on 06/02/2018

I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that every single time my husband and I went to The Drake for some planning, tasting, etc. reason, we were treated like royalty and, even more so, like family. Even the staff members who were busy setting up for different events and helping hotel guests get settled would take a second to greet us with smiles and warmth (and sometimes wine!) that only made us feel even more special and truly appreciated as guests of honor at the hotel. From the beginning of planning to the end, and even now that the wedding is over, our experience working with The Drake was undeniably surreal. Antoinette and her absolutely wonderful assistant, Dhamma, went above and beyond to help my family and I figure out how to articulate and execute the details of our wedding vision, and the wedding day far exceeded anything that we had dreamed up in our heads. The service was efficient and outstanding, the room was picture-esque, the communication between vendors was organized and timely, and the friendships we developed with Antoinette, Dhamma, Jose, and other staff members are what I will miss most now that we don’t have a major excuse to frequent the Drake. :)

Everyone knows that weddings are expensive, and a wedding in downtown Chicago is certainly no exception to that rule. But what you simply cannot put a price on is the passion and consideration that every single person at The Drake put into ensuring my husband and I felt supported, appreciated, and confident in our venue decision. From the valets, to the chefs, to the bellhops, to the room service, to the bartenders, and especially to Antoinette and Dhamma, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making our wedding day the most incredible and special day of our lives.

Sent on 06/05/2018

Laura · Married on 11/18/2017

Our daughter and son-in-law celebrated their wedding in November in downtown Chicago at The Drake Hotel. From the first moment we saw the gorgeous reception rooms at The Drake, we knew it would be a very special venue to host the weekend wedding celebration we were planning for over 250 guests, most of whom would be traveling to Chicago.
    But it was the EXCELLENT SERVICE from the entire staff at The Drake, directed by Shaun Rajah, who made the wedding day and night such a complete success! They attended to everyyyy detail and need. From the employees at the front desk, Jose Milan and Andrea Barrera, who took care of the many room reservations for so many out-of-town guests, to Amy Verdon who arranged and Omer who served the delicious Bridal Brunch in the Princess Diana Suite, to all of the many wait staff in both the Palm Court Room (Jose Barrera was so helpful in coordinating a lovely engagement tea!), to the Banquet Captains, Francisco Sanchez and Lino Frustado, in the Gold Coast and French Rooms who made certain the cocktails and dinner were exactly as we had planned. Everyone at The Drake hotel was so helpful and professional and hospitable.
    For months, we consulted with Shaun Rajah, The Drake's Associate Director of Catering, and we really cannot compliment Shaun enough on his excellent and professional attention to every detail regarding the wedding day. Shaun, and his assistant Kelly Huddle, were so helpful with suggestions for every aspect of the wedding day, making sure that we had plenty of information and resources to make the wedding (which was actually off site) AND the reception wonderful. Shaun coordinated everything, and was a tremendous help, working well with our wedding planner and all our vendors, too---very important. He was always checking in and was so prompt in his replies! Shaun promised that every detail would be attended to so we could just enjoy the day and our guests. WE DID! What wonderful memories we have at the Drake!

Sent on 03/22/2018

Peg · Married on 09/09/2017

Our son and daughter in law had their wedding reception at The Drake on September 9, 2017. It was the most spectacular event. Antoinette Cahill, the catering director and her staff, were so kind, attentive, professional and enthusiastic. Our guests have not stopped talking about the evening and we have not stopped smiling. Five Stars are not enough!! Thank you again to The Drake and Antoinette for making our kids dream wedding a reality!

Sent on 09/13/2017

Anna · Married on 01/21/2017

We had our wedding reception at the Drake Hotel in Chicago this past January and we were extremely satisfied! The Drake team nailed it and accommodated our every request -- from the planning stages, to the day of, and even the day after for the Sunday brunch. We could NOT have been happier! We had 215 guests, with 100+ staying at the hotel and the Drake team was beyond helpful and had the best service I've ever experienced. I do events all the time for work and coordinate with hotels for large groups of 50+ frequently, and I was still super impressed. Antoinette Cahill was a dream to work with, she treated my family as if we were part of hers! Kelly Huddle is the detail queen, she captured ALL of my crazy minute details and updates, quickly and efficiency! We knew we wanted a venue with good food because let's face it, standard banquet hall food sucks! A month later, our guests are still raving about the wedding saying how ours was the best wedding they've ever been to, all mentioning how great the food and service was! If you’re on the fence and you’re looking at the Drake, just do it because you will not regret it! I felt like a princess the whole weekend and I owe it all to the team at the Drake!

Sent on 03/02/2017

Jackie · Married on 12/30/2016

The Drake Hotel in Chicago was the venue for my wedding ceremony and reception. I was BEYOND pleased with EVERY single thing about the experience. I cannot rave about it enough. When searching for venues, I knew I needed a venue large enough for 300 and wanted something that represented Chicago (with great food!). I visited nearly 20 sites but the moment I walked into the Gold Coast Room at the Drake, I absolutely fell in love. The hotel, and the rooms, are absolutely stunning -the views of Lake Michigan, the gold pillars, chandeliers, etc. While I had visited other gorgeous hotels in Chicago, what set The Drake apart from all others are the people who work there. I anticipated meeting a stuffy wedding coordinator, rude staff, etc. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG. Antoinette Cahill, the Director of Social & Corporate Catering for The Drake, was the best thing about choosing the venue. She was incredibly down-to-earth, made planning so easy (she recommended all of my vendors who were amazing, too) and she dealt with my mom and I when we were stressed and mildly difficult to work with. She is an utmost professional. All other staff at the Drake individually showed the same professionalism and positive attitude and made my family and all of our guests, feel so special. Thanks to The Drake, and Antoinette, for making my dream wedding come true.

Sent on 01/25/2017

Cassidy · Married on 06/07/2015

We had our ceremony and reception in the Gold Coast Room at the Drake Hotel and it was perfect - the room is beautiful by itself, but add some flowers and you feel like you're in a fairy tale! The food is amazing and the staff is incredible - friendly, professional and helpful all around. John Moses is wonderful to work with - he is very responsive and great at accommodating special requests to help make your wedding day even more memorable. We looked at many venues in Chicago and are so glad we ended up choosing the Drake!

Sent on 07/03/2015

Suruchi · Married on 05/31/2015

The Drake Hotel was the talk of our wedding weekend. They were flexible and provided an amazing experience for all our guests. The Indian catering was the best I have ever tasted - and the chef will go down in history for making the most spectacular and FRESH Indian cuisine. If you are planning a beautiful classic Indian wedding in Chicago and want to dazzle your guests with luxury and amazing food - look no further than The Drake. We had an amazing experience and would recommend it to everyone.

Sent on 08/19/2015

Diana · Married on 07/04/2014

The Drake's Gold Coast Room provided us the most excellent venue for my daughter's reception. The service was impeccable and food was absolutely delicious.

Sent on 07/07/2014

Cynthia · Married on 10/12/2012

The Drake is AMAZING!!! My partner and I had our civil union/wedding in the Gold Coast Room and could not have been happier. We only wish we could relive this every day of our lives. The Catering Team at the Drake including Ann O'Riordan, Amy Verdon, Antoinette, Chris are AWESOME. They are so friendly and thoughtful and made sure till the very end that everything looked beautiful and was perfect! The food was delicious. The famous Drake champagne parade was memorable. The room was beautiful. The location in the city was perfect. This all made for a wonderful day! When looking for a wedding/civil union ceremony and reception venue, look no further than the Drake!

Sent on 10/26/2012

Lauren · Married on 09/24/2011

We had our wedding reception at the Drake, and it was perfect!! We had a small wedding (60 people), so we rented some of the smaller conference rooms for the reception. We had cocktails in the Venetian room, which overlooks the lake. Then, we moved into one of the larger conference rooms for dinner and dancing. I was concerned that the conference rooms wouldn't look as nice as the larger ballrooms, but everything was beautiful. The food was amazing. We got so many compliments! Everyone was very impressed.

We worked with Bill, and he was great. He's very responsive, and he was very nice about answering all of my questions. We felt like Bill and the rest of the staff were really willing to go the extra mile with whatever we needed. The day before our wedding turned out to be a complete disaster- my husband got into two car accidents, and I had to take my sister to the emergency room twice (thankfully everyone was ok). As a result of all of the drama, I wasn't able to check into the hotel until a couple hours after I planned, and I wasn't able to be there when my dress got delivered to the hotel. I called Julie Ratowitz, from Livin it Up Events, and frantically explained the situation. She spoke with Bill, and he picked up my wedding dress when it was delivered and waited with it until my husband was able to check into the hotel.

Overall, we were very impressed with the service we received at the Drake- we thought our wedding reception was perfect. We would highly recommend getting married at the Drake.

Sent on 01/29/2012

Stephanie · Married on 09/20/2008

I felt like Cinderella on my wedding day. A big part of that feeling was that I had my wedding at The Drake Hotel. Not only was I treated like a princess, but the look and feel of the ballroom is as if you were in a palace. The food was great, and everything seemed to happen like clockwork. I can't wait until my next wedding, I wouldn't change a thing! Just kidding of course.

Sent on 11/01/2008

Laura · Married on 11/12/2005

Everyone at the Drake was extremely professional. I checked out a few similar hotels for our wedding reception, but no one compared to the Drake. The staff was very down to earth (NOT the case at other hotels) and everything went as planned on the big day!

Sent on 02/01/2008

Claire · Married on 10/13/2007

The Drake was absolutely the most perfect place for a wedding in the city of Chicago. We got married in the Gold Coast Room, and you cannot find a more beautiful venue in the entire city. The service was exceptional, the food amazing, and our wedding planner, Tara, could not have been more professional. It was the most amazing experience.

Sent on 02/28/2008

I loved working with The Drake in planning my wedding this past summer. The food and service was top knotch!

Sent on 09/24/2013

dena · Married on 10/24/2009

Location is perfect and our evening was spectacular!

Sent on 11/01/2009

Laura · Married on 08/11/2018

0.4
      0.5

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding and I showed up to the Drake and the bride was in tears. A year prior she booked a suite that she was assured would hold 12-15 people for the morning of her wedding. She was misled and even verified multiple times that her suite was the size of the “Churchill suite” that her sister used the previous year. She was assured it was but when we arrived it could hold about 6 people comfortably and as not adequate for make up and hair. Eloy, the manager was extremely rude and kept repeating “every bride has different needs” indiciating that her needs were over the top. We were treated with disrespect all weekend and even when a different room was given to us which was still small but was the last resort, no apologies other than “sorry” were given. When a suite is booked, the bride was told she would get breakfast along with the suite members. She was in hair and makeup so I went down to get it for her. I was told she is not a “diamond member” and the only way to receive breakfast was to pay $25 or have her eat with her groom on the morning of her wedding in the Cape Cod room. My room was not available until 4pm while I was in the church as a member of the wedding party. All of my things were on th 7th floor where I checked in but was denied a key because they were cleaning even though it was after check in time. I had to check in at 12 am, move my luggage from the 7th to 4th floor (I was not offered help) and told to check in earlier next time. Disaster of a stay at The Drake, and the escalations dept was of some help after Anita reimbursed me with a 2 night stay even though I do not want to stay but she did her best and was empathetic. David Ryan from their dept sarcastically thanked the bride for her stay and welcomed her return. The only upside was Mario the bellhop! We waited for our luggage for over an hour and Eloy and the front desk said it would come up soon. We waited and waited. We called down and Mario helped us all weekend!

Sent on 08/19/2018

The Drake Hotel's reply:

Dear Ms. Bianchi,

Thank you for reaching out through The Knot Website and sharing your experience. We have researched the reservation for Mrs. Bailey whose wedding reception was hosted at Orso’s Restaurant. The reservation was made for a Gold Coast Suite through our Hilton central reservation team. The suite reserved was a Gold Coast Suite which is 900 sq. ft. with a Jacuzzi tub and separate shower, large king size bedroom and lake view parlor room with dining table and sofa sitting area. This suite is our most popular bridal suite, however, may not be suitable for larger parties using it for hair and makeup and as a dressing room.

The suite you referenced Mrs. Baileys’ sister using for her wedding was a Michigan Suite which is also 900 sq. ft. ;however; the bathroom is smaller and the parlor room is larger. It is unfortunate that the Gold Coast Suite did not meet the expectations of the client. We provided an additional lake view connecting room to Mrs. Bailey on a complimentary basis for two nights in an attempt to accommodate the needs of the bridal party.

We have a team of wedding professionals who personally work with each client when they reserve their wedding in a Drake Hotel Ballroom or a wedding room block with us. Mrs. Bailey’s reservation was booked through our central reservation team as an individual reservation and was not associated with a wedding block. Unfortunately this did not allow for one of our wedding professionals to be assigned. It is always advisable to work directly with our wedding team at The Drake, where we can assign a specific wedding block group code and service accordingly.

We do pride ourselves on exceeding our couples expectations and we have 100% satisfaction with all of our weddings hosted at The Drake Hotel.

I am sincerely sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and I will be reaching out to you directly as we are committed to guest satisfaction at The Drake.