The Cookery Reviews

The Cookery 6
The Cookery 7

Sarah · Married on 02/17/2019

Beautiful space, responsive/thorough staff

We had a Sunday wedding at the Cookery, and rented the full grounds. Leading up to the wedding, we were in touch with Juli (pre-contract signing) and Tammy (post-contract signing) about once or twice a week, and they were always responsive, helpful, and thorough when faced with our many questions. We had a few in-person meetings also, which sold us on the venue; it's a unique and beautiful space, it doesn't require too much additional decoration, and the different rooms give you flexibility. (The bridal suite is especially beautiful and classy, not the usual pink-and-white space I'd seen at other venues.) On the day of the wedding, the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Regarding payment/cost, the Cookery rolls many of the vendor payments into their contract, which we found convenient. It's definitely a pricier venue, but if it's in your budget, it's worth it. We really enjoyed working with Tammy, and our guests loved the space. We wouldn't have changed anything about our wedding.

Stephanie · Married on 12/29/2018

Unique space with phenomenal staff

BOOK THIS VENUE!!! Leading up to our wedding, everyone we know warned us “something on your wedding day will go wrong”.... This is not true at the Cookery. The Cookery is truly a standout and unique location for a wedding reception, and Juli made sure that everything went off without a hitch! Not only did she answer the 1,000,000,000 questions I had in the months leading up to our event, she took the time and care day of to make sure we were happy, having fun, and enjoying our reception. The Cookery itself is like no other. The exposed brick and iron work captures the spirit of Durham,the bridal suite is beautifully furnished, and their preferred vendors capture the foodie city that Durham is. What a talented group! Thank you Juli!

Caitlin · Married on 06/12/2018

The Cookery was the only venue we saw and we booked it immediately and I’m so glad we did! We wanted something that strayed from the traditional, and the exposed brick walls and industrial feeling of The Cookery gave us all we wanted. We actually booked before the expansion, and we loved the venue even more after the expansion was finished. We actually worked closely with Juli first before transitioning over to Tammy so that Juli could focus on her own wedding. They were both very kind and responsive and easy to work with. We rented on a Tuesday afternoon which cut the cost substantially. I will say, others have said that the rental included dinnerware, but we didn’t have dinnerware included, we were referred to American Party Rentals. Tables, chairs, and glassware was included, though! We were also able to have our ceremony and reception in the same place, which was nice since our families drove 2 1/2 hours to come. We received many compliments on how gorgeous the venue is and there was ample space for our 50 guests. We had a dance floor and photobooth along with eight tables in the front room where we had our reception. Most ceremonies face the windows in the ballroom, but we opted to have ours facing the gorgeous archways and I loved it so much more. The bridal suite was also AMAZING — we had six bridesmaids, myself, a makeup artist, my mom, several friends moms, and more all in there at once at one point. There’s tons of room and gorgeous light and they actually gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne! Another perk is that the venue is so stunning that minimal decoration makes everything pop. We used beakers and flasks for flowers and it was simple and stunning. We adored The Cookery and would absolutely choose them again.

The Cookery 8
    The Cookery 9
    The Cookery 10
    The Cookery 11

Erin · Married on 04/07/2018

My husband and I chose the Cookery for our wedding because of the beautiful atmosphere, flexible event space, great food and bar options, and amazing staff. We could not have been happier with how our event turned out. The Cookery staff helped us plan every detail of our wedding day, were quick to answer any and all questions that we had, and accommodated our special requests and timeline changes. I highly recommend them to anyone planning a special event.

• DesertPolarBear

Jennifer · Married on 12/31/2017

Choosing the Cookery was a pretty easy decision - we were thrilled to have such an elegant venue in such a central location. We loved the glow of the market lights and immediately I could picture the reception in the Front Room. Since we booked, the added space (and especially the bridal suite) was a huge bonus and I can't imagine my day without that now. Tammy, the venue manager, is just incredible. She knows her stuff and is extremely high energy and from day one she was on top of our event process. I felt very safe in her hands. The venue looked like a dream on the day of and the intimacy of the Front Room made for a lively party. I am so thrilled with our choice and would recommend it to anyone looking for a downtown Durham venue!

Laura · Married on 12/02/2017

The Cookery could only be described as a dream venue. Tammy made the process so simple, kept me up to date on what was needed, and was always responsive to my e-mails. Our day went off without a hitch (or at least we didn't notice any!). The space is absolutely beautiful and though we had out of this world flowers, the space doesn't need a lot of decoration! The staff were amazing. Wedding planning can be very stressful but Tammy and the staff at the Cookery take a lot of that stress away. It is helpful that a lot is included when you book the space, and that they have fantastic vendors that you can book through them. Thank you!

Kristi · Married on 11/03/2017

We just had our November wedding at The Cookery and it was amazing! We were able to use the entire grounds for our ceremony and reception. The new Ballroom is beautiful and I couldn't imagine having our ceremony anywhere else. Juli worked with us from the beginning and was extremely accommodation. She was quick to respond and was super easy to work with. She was able to make sure all of the venue details were handled in advance so during our wedding we didn't worry about a thing! Also, their bartending staff were incredible! I hope they received as many compliments about their service as I did! The Cookery is a phenomenal venue and it was perfect for our wedding!

Laura · Married on 10/21/2017

We hosted our wedding at the cookery just this weekend and it was the best decision we made in the planning process. Especially with the new expansion, the cookery is the absolutely perfect venue. We hosted a wedding of 125 people there and it was the right amount of space for a 7-piece band, a dance floor and buffet dinner, all held in the new expanded space). There was a really nice flow between the front room, the patio and the larger banquet hall.

As a Durham native planning from out of town, the Cookery felt like a warm and homey place to host our wedding. The venue has amazing historical elements from Durham, the bar was fantastic (complete with signature cocktails and local beer), and the combination of indoor and outdoor space was ideal for every guest. The event staff is extremely responsive and accommodating; Tammy went above and beyond, even re-doing our event layout days before the wedding. Plus, their inventory of items is extensive, including glassware, plates, chairs, etc. They have close ties with American party rentals which made the rental process very easy, and Tammy reviewed our layout to make sure that we weren't missing anything. Their list of preferred vendors makes it almost like a one-stop shop for your wedding, but also allows a great deal of customization and unique touches. Plus, the space is so well designed that you really don't need much in the way of decor. I can't recommend this place enough!! It felt like just about the most "Durham" venue we could have found.

Chelsea · Married on 09/09/2017

Tammy and her team at the Cookery were wonderful. Super organized, professional and accommodating -- which I think are the most important qualities to have in any venue! I had my wedding at the newly renovated space and it was perfect, spacious and beautiful. Thank you Tammy!

Kristin · Married on 05/28/2017

The Cookery was the PERFECT venue for our wedding ceremony and reception! I really liked that we could hold both in one place, so that we (and our guests) didn't waste time driving around between the ceremony and reception. It is a beautiful place, full of Durham history, and the staff, especially Tammy (the on-site coordinator) is wonderful. They couldn't have made planning any easier, or been any friendlier or more accommodating! We got so many compliments on the lovely space and delicious cocktails made by the bartenders. It was the perfect setting for our big day and I wish we could do it again! Maybe a 10-year vow renewal... Seriously, book The Cookery and you will not be disappointed. I especially loved how much inventory they had on hand (silverware, chairs, tables, etc.) that kept us from having to rent all of that stuff. Highly recommend!

Betsy · Married on 11/19/2016

The Cookery is a beautiful venue with lovely staff. We had our wedding ceremony and reception here for 100 guests. Some of the perks for the venue are they provide tables, chairs, silverware and glassware but the biggest perk is the venue coordinator Tammy. Tammy is wonderful to work with, kind, excited, and incredibly detail oriented. She is an expert and made sure everything went off without a hitch. The bar staff was also wonderful. The venue itself looks beautiful during the day or at night and is steeped in rich Durham history (which sold us on it!).

Cathy · Married on 10/15/2016

I cannot imagine a more perfect place for our wedding reception than The Cookery! It was a perfect backdrop for our event and all of our guests were raving about how beautiful it was. Tammy was incredibly helpful through the planning process and we could not have done it without her. She came with us to our appointment for linens and took care of the bar, tables, tent, and valet and was crucial for setting the room layout and timeline. The bartenders were great and drinks delicious! In the Cookery we were able to have the intimate event that we wanted while still having quite a lot of guests. We loved every moment of working with the team there and having our reception at this venue!!

The Cookery is a terrific place for holding wedding ceremony & reception, the classic Durham-warehouse-style inside look and the beautiful lights save you a lot of trouble for decoration

Tammy at the Cookery made this experience amazing. She was flexible with drop off and pick ups and even was the bartender for our event. Her knowledge of the space was always helpful and truly made it easy to plan and change things as the date approached.

Tiffany · Married on 10/10/2015

We had the perfect wedding. The wedding of our dreams. We owe it all to Tammy! From the moment we stepped in to do a tour to the moment we left on our wedding night, Tammy was nice, supportive, patient, helpful, creative... you name it. There was no problem she could not immediately solve. She had perfect ideas for all our little questions. She answered our emails (we tried not to send too many), she reworked the floor plan, she sat patiently while we assembled for the rehearsal... she handled all the vendors who came in, she arranged the big stuff too- linens, dance floor, tents. Seriously, we would have been overwhelmed handling this but she was a consummate pro. We opted for vendors who had all worked at the Cookery before and it was obvious there was so much synergy because of how awesome she is.

I will also say, the bartending staff were super great too! I may or may not have taken a shot of tequila on my way down the aisle, and they got it ready in a flash before it was time for me to walk. They were nice to all our guests and I saw lots of happy people around... I can only imagine it was because of the great bartenders. :D

The venue itself is stunning and exactly what we wanted. This was our dream wedding and Tammy and the Cookery made it come true!

Tiffany and Steve

• User5220031 · 2+ years ago

We absolutely loved having our reception at The Cookery. From the beginning of our year and a half long planning, Tammy was absolutely amazing! She knows the venue so well and is quick at responding at questions and concerns. She was flexible and always had a positive attitude about all the decisions we made, even when we changed our minds and scheduled several appointments for our linens and party rentals (because we were so indecisive). She had great recommendations about vendors which made planning so much easier. I have celiacs and last minute I decided I wanted to add cider to the drink list as an option for me-Tammy said it wasn't a problem and within minutes of our reception starting she remembered and offered a cider and even suggested pouring it in a fancy glass so that it would look great in pictures. Our guests were amazed with how beautiful the venue was and how nice and accommodating the wait staff was. We were so thrilled with our experience that at the end of the night, we even gave her a hug!

Torrie · Married on 06/20/2015

The Cookery was a perfect selection for our wedding ceremony and reception. Both inside and outside are gorgeous spaces, filled with Durham history. Aside from the aesthetics of the venue, Tammy was a dream to work with. She was so helpful and flexible and creative-- she made sure the things that I forgot were taken care of. When you don't have a wedding planner, it's people like Tammy who make your wedding go off without a hitch!

We had our wedding at the Cookery last fall and it was incredible. Tammy was amazing and took care of everything before I could even think of it. They have a great relationship with the vendors in the community and do a fantastic job making everything the way you want. I would highly recommend the cookery to anyone wanting to have an event in Durham!

Maureen · Married on 10/25/2013

We had a fantastic experience with The Cookery. We were married on the patio with the large factory shutters as our backdrop and we had our reception inside. Rochelle was very responsive to our questions and requests. They have a wonderful list of vendors to work with. The place is beautiful and infused with the rich history ofl Durham. They are constantly working to improve their business offerings and enrich their venue. We love it and would certainly host another event there. The bar is absolutely beautiful and built out of the old Durham train tracks and water tower. The staff was fantastic and very friendly. And the mezzanine offered a unique perspective for many of our guests.

Kate · Married on 07/07/2018

We had the most wonderful time having our wedding at The Cookery! It was the first venue we viewed last summer (even prior to the expansion) and we knew immediately it was exactly what we wanted. The expansion just adds to the venues beauty. We were lucky enough to work along side Juli who was there to respond to our every question at all times. She certainly made the process so much less stressful!!! Every corner of The Cookery is beautiful and left for amazing backdrops in photos. Our family and friends could not stop commenting on how gorgeous the venue was. My HUSBAND and I would choose The Cookery all over again! Thank you for making our big day so special!

The Cookery 12
    The Cookery 13
    The Cookery 14
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 11/03/2018

Beautiful venue, easy to work with

We did a lot of research on venues in the Durham area before landing on The Cookery, and we are so glad that we did! We worked with Juli, who was responsive and flexible, and worked with us throughout the process to make our vision come to life! We loved having all of the separate spaces - an outdoor ceremony in the garden, dinner in the ballroom, dancing in the front room, and space in the courtyard for guests to step out for some fresh air. We had a band in the front room and the sound was excellent (it would have been too loud in the ballroom). I really liked that The Cookery took care of payments and delivery for Durham Catering Company and American Party Rentals. Your day of coordinator or planner will have to coordinate with the rest of your hired vendors. The only surprise we had was that there isn't a microphone for the sound system in the ballroom for toasts, so we had to pull our ceremony speakers and microphone inside, it wasn't a big deal but hopefully they upgrade that soon! All of our other expenses were clear from the start. The drink packages were excellent, he bridal suite was perfect for an 8 person wedding party, and there are so many beautiful backdrops for photos. We highly recommend this venue!

The Cookery 15
    The Cookery 25
    The Cookery 26
    The Cookery 27

Laura · Married on 08/25/2018

The Cookery was the perfect wedding venue for us! From the moment we toured, we fell in love with the beautiful event space. The Cookery has tons of charm, and we received many compliments from our guests. It's warm and inviting and has the perfect mix of indoor and outdoor space, which made our event even better because we had beautiful weather for late August. There was such a great flow between indoor/out.

We held both our ceremony and reception at The Cookery, and we were pleased with the various options for layout. We opted to have our ceremony inside facing the back, and it was a gorgeous backdrop. During planning, there was some confusion at times between what The Cookery provides (which tables, glassware, etc), as I think they had recently changed "the rules" and the website/marketing materials didn't always reflect the changes. They might still need to work out the kinks. That said, we had a wonderful wedding at The Cookery and are SO happy we chose it as our venue!

The Cookery 28
    The Cookery 34
    The Cookery 35
    The Cookery 36

Katie · Married on 10/24/2015

What an amazing and unique venue! It has a cool vintage feel and easily fit our 80-90 guests for our late October wedding. Tammy was a pleasure to work with and was very responsive with all of our requests. She helped make our special day easy with no additional stress! They do have quite a few rules so make sure you are aware of them prior to signing your contract. Overall, this venue helped make my dream wedding come true!

Nettie Jankoviak · Married on 10/28/2018

Beautiful Venue, Very Smooth Planning Process

This venue is wonderful! I toured the Cookery before the ballroom had been completed. When we walked through the space, the floor was still dirt and definitely a work in progress. Even then the space brought tears to my eyes! This venue has four main spaces that each provide a different feel for the guest. The Front Room incorporates items from Durham’s past and incorporates them for a revamped, industrial feel, and includes a mezzanine. The courtyard has a mural and is a cozy outdoor area that goes between two larger indoor spaces. The ballroom provides that formal feeling and the garden is a great area with greenery bordering the space. We utilized each of these spaces for our wedding: Front Room was used for cocktail hour and the reception, the courtyard for our dessert, the ballroom for dinner, and the garden for our ceremony. We really enjoyed being able to utilize each of these different spaces without requiring guests to drive from place to place. Throughout our planning process, the venue managers were responsive and helpful, always responding within one to two days to any questions or concerns we had. Our wedding ceremony and reception were great! The only problem we ran into occurred during cocktail hour: for nearly 20 minutes of the hour, the venue was playing a slideshow of photos of a different couple rather than the ones we had submitted. The manager on duty was unable to be located for that amount of time to correct the situation. If you choose to project a slideshow during your event here, I suggest trying to locate the manager on duty ahead of the start time on the day of your event to be sure the proper set of photos will be displayed! Other than that, we had a great event.
    Photo credit for this review belongs to FireRose Photography.

The Cookery 37
    The Cookery 38
    The Cookery 39

Ashley · Married on 06/16/2018

The Cookery is a beautiful space! We had 205 guests and the ballroom was a perfect space for dinner. We used the garden for the ceremony and that was lovely. Then, we used the front room for cocktail hour and dancing. Tammy was a huge help throughout the process, and the day of barstaff was amazing. I would say the only drawback is the limited vendors that you can use.