251 Reviews for The Commons 1854

Outside Cake (3)
Event Rentals (2)
Buffet (2)
251 The Commons 1854 Reviews

We threw the wedding of the century at The Commons 1854 in Topsfield, MA! We first fell in love with the Commons because of the amazing event planners, the beautiful, New England, and classic space, and a lot of recommendations. We could not have been more thrilled with the result. My husband and I met as English Majors in college and wanted to have a literary themed wedding. The Commons was super accommodating to our theme- they let us use book titles instead of table numbers and gave us plenty of ideas. Our wedding party was huge (17 people) and we were able to fit everyone under the pergola in the garden for the ceremony.

The food was amazing. The passed hors derves were incredible and there was plenty for everyone (178 guests). Our meals were cooked perfectly! We had 140 filet mignons and each was cooked absolutely perfectly. We also had a cake made from their outside partner vendor that was both lemon raspberry and cannoli flavored. They even made a separate batman cake for my husband that came out amazing!

Finally, our wedding planner, Maura Galligan was absolutely the best wedding planner ever. She thought of everything and was able to make all of our ideas (both crazy and seemingly impossible) work flawlessly with her incredible organization, attention to detail, ,and eerie ability to be in multiple places at once. I felt so at ease with her running things. We never knew anything went wrong if it did, and we were able to eat, and dance all night on our wedding day because of her incredible effort to make all our wedding dreams come true!

Profile Picture Danielle, 6/30/18, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Event Rentals, Bridal Suite, Set Up, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, Liquor License, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Wine, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Chairs, Lighting, Tables

The staff at The Commons is amazing! We worked with Kristi and Gianna at various times through the planning process of my daughter's wedding and then more closely with Gianna as the wedding day neared. Gianna was on site the day and night of the wedding, and we were thrilled that she was our wedding coordinator. Everything went like clockwork, just as she promised. Gianna and Kristi are the consummate professionals. They are the most organized and reliable people you could ever hope to work with. Any time we emailed, we received a reply back within an hour or two. They truly created a no-stress wedding experience. My daughter, son-in-law, and I were smitten with The Commons the moment we saw it. From the garden ceremony space to the gorgeous marble floors of the cocktail area to the balconied ballroom, the venue is extraordinarily beautiful and immaculately maintained. Our guests raved about the food, the service, and the ambiance. In addition, the acoustics are fabulous. Thanks, Gianna for helping us to create what our guests called the Best Wedding Ever!

Profile Picture B, 6/2/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Our experience with The Commons 1854 was excellent, and we are so happy we chose to celebrate our wedding at their venue. The staff was incredibly thoughtful, attentive, and friendly, which made the planning process and our actual wedding day smooth and enjoyable. Gianna and Kristi were both incredibly responsive and helpful throughout everything. The garden was a perfect backdrop for our ceremony, and guests raved about the beauty of the cocktail space and reception rooms as well. The food was excellent and the gelato/cannolis are not to be missed! The Commons 1854 is a gorgeous venue with one of a kind with service and staff to match. You will be happy you chose them for your special day!

Profile Picture Jackie, 6/2/18, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Chairs, Lighting, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Liquor License, Open Bar, Signature Drink, In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Lighting/Sound, Set Up, Parking, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s)

Where do we begin! The Commons is where the best night of our lives took place! Working on such an important event with Gianna and Kristi up until the big day was smooth and as easy as wedding planning could possibly be. It can be stressful at times I thought as most brides do, although their advice and quick responses to any questions made it a lot less worrisome.

The most common thing guests raved about (aside from how beautiful the venue was) was the food. Appetizers were passed during cocktail hour and everyone kept saying how delicious they were. There was more than enough servers going around so everyone had a chance to have an arrangement of what was chosen. We offered a filet that most guests chose and the piece of meat was not only a generous portion, but cooked and seasoned to perfection. We wouldn’t consider the food as “wedding food” because it was more like a 5 course meal you would receive at a high end restaurant. If you are a “foodie” and don’t want to worry about your guests going to Bill & Bobs on the way home, this is the wedding venue for you! :)

We visited 3 venues before visiting The Commons (my sister got married at The Commons in 2014 and I didn’t want to “copy her”) and we couldn’t resist choosing this one out of the others. It was an easy decision after comparing all other options and what you get for your money.

We will forever be grateful that we chose you guys for the best day/night of our lives!

Anthony & Christina Malerba

Profile Picture Christina, 5/26/18, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

The Commons 1854 is such a gorgeous venue! Both my husband and I fell in love with it from the moment we first saw it! My wedding day was absolutely perfect and everything I dreamed of would be! My guests are still talking about how great the food was! The entire staff at the commons was extremely helpful and super responsive from start to end. Gianna was such an amazing wedding coordinator! She was extremely helpful and responsive to any questions/concerns I had throughout the wedding planning process. We are so happy we chose The Commons and want to Thank the entire staff for making our wedding day so special!

Profile Picture Kate, 5/12/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Everyone at the Commons is super helpful and accommodating. They were great to work with and made our wedding day stress free and perfect.

Profile Picture Kayleigh, 4/15/18, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

We had a fantastic experience at the commons. From the beginning we felt comfortable and extremely confident in their ability to execute a flawless wedding, and that’s exactly what they did.

We first met with Kristi, who owns this family run business, and she was fantastic helping us to understand our options and how to make the best use of our budget. Once we decided on the venue we worked with Gianna to iron out the details and execute on game day. She was wonderful and even helped us coordinate the shipment of 18 cakes from Pittsburgh that had special meaning for us. This was at no extra cost even though it required their time and a few days of refrigerated storage! Just one of the many examples of the high level of service that is part of their philosophy and simply built in to how they operate.

On the day of, the venue looked gorgeous and things went better than we ever could have imagined; the staff was excellent (several of our guests commented on how great), food (made by venue) was perfect, and Gianna was always nearby asking what we needed or predicting a need we were to busy to even think about! We really couldn’t be happier. I could go on forever but I think the above should capture about all you need to know to at least go check the place and people out for yourself!

Profile Picture Don, 2/24/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Overall, I can't say enough good things about The Commons 1854. My daughter's wedding ran so smoothly. Gianna, our wedding coordinator, was AMAZING!!! Somehow, she manages to be everywhere at once. She's professional, kind...just unbelievable at her job. The food.....OUTSTANDING! People are still talking about it. There wasn't a single item that I felt could have been prepared better or tasted better. It's obviously not the cheapest place to hold your wedding, but it's worth every penny. I would 100% recommend The Commons 1854 for any event.

Profile Picture Deb, 2/17/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

EVERYTHING AMAZING!!! Kristi and her staff so accommodating, the value and food were superb!!! Couldnt have had a better wedding thank you so much! Heather and Jason 5/20/17

Profile Picture Heather, 12/31/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Our wedding was held on December 30, 2017 and was the perfect location for a winter wedding. The venue itself, from the clean modernized downstairs (cocktail hour), to the gold trim, fireplaces, large windows and chandeliers that hang in the ballroom, is gorgeous no matter how you decorate it. It is a very classy, romantic and timeless looking venue.

The Owners, Frank and Kristi and the wedding coordinator, Gianna, could not have been any more amazing to work with. They deserve many thanks for making all of my wedding dreams come to life. Gianna was the perfect wedding coordinator and made sure my husband, myself and all of our guests were well taken care of.

Their staff, on all levels, always stayed so professional and they all made you feel like a part of their family.

The food is unbelievable and guests our still raving about it. Their filet and pizza is a must!

Love Love Love The Commons 1854, it exceeded all of my expectations.

Holly + Mike S.

Profile Picture Holly, 12/30/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

I truly cannot describe in words just how pleased I am that my husband and I chose The Commons 1854 as our wedding venue. As soon as we walked through the front doors while taking a tour on our venue search, we knew we found the perfect location for our big day. From the beginning, Kristi and staff made us feel so welcomed and excited. Any questions we had along the way were answered promptly and thoroughly. During our rehearsal we were informed that our coordinator was ill and would not be able to attend the wedding day. However, Kristi called in another coordinator, Maura, who had absolutely taken every vision we had, and executed every single detail flawlessly. For having met Maura for the first time just two days prior to our wedding day, she hit it out of the park, and that is an understatement! The staff at The Commons 1854 are so wonderful and really take into account your dream wedding and work so very hard to make that vision a reality. The food was exquisite! We have had so many of our friends and family rave about the food, service, and atmosphere. The Commons 1854 genuinely took our wedding, a day that already would've been the best day of our lives, and made it unbelievable and truly unforgettable. Joseph and I cannot thank you enough!

Profile Picture Brianna, 12/2/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Stations, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Liquor License, Open Bar, Signature Drink, Chairs, Lighting, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Event Rentals, Bridal Suite, Liability Insurance, Lighting/Sound, Set Up, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Indoor

I am the father of the bride. We were thrilled with this service. The facility was stunning, lovely and historic, the staff went beyond outstanding to make this wedding day extra special, with their amazing warmness and hospitality. They were ready to make rapid changes to everything and anything we requested at the ceremony and during the event, without hesitation. They celebrated with us, and truly made us think we were the ONLY event on their minds and hearts. Family members told me the next day how much they enjoyed the event. Most importantly, my daughter was thrilled beyond belief. Fathers can tell. We had an elder relative who passed out and needed hospital care. The staff was ready for this, made the emergency arrangements, and were very kind and warm to the relative until he was whisked away in the ambulance. The staff stayed as late as we needed, beyond the end of the event. The wedding ceremony was held on the grounds in a beautiful garden complete with shrubs with side cover to enclose the area, and a beautiful canopy at the alter. During the rehearsal, they stayed well beyond it to be sure everyone felt good with the plans, answering every question (thanks to me, this went on for a while...). I would help arrange another family wedding at The Commons in a heartbeat ! Thank you so much for making my daughter's day so wonderful !

Note: I don't have the details of the questions below, but my daughter does. And, she could provide the signed contract. You may ask any questions through me

Profile Picture Richard, 8/25/17, 1 Review
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

We had the most incredible experience at The Commons 1854!! The day was flawless thanks to the entire staff. Everything ran smoothly due to our coordinator Johanna's preparation, experience and attention to detail. Our entire guest list felt so welcome and cared for throughout the day. Our previous meetings with Frank, Kristi and Gianna left no questions unanswered and gave us peace of mind on the big day!

Profile Picture Christina, 8/6/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

I loved every part of wedding planning with The Commons. The venue was beautiful, the food was excellent, and the staff was helpful and energetic. I would highly recommend this venue! So many guests came up to me complimenting the various components of the Commons. If you choose this venue you will not be disappointed! :)

Profile Picture Kellie, 8/5/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Set Up, Indoor, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated

The Commons was everything we wanted in a wedding venue and more! The beautiful space and the amazing staff gave us the wedding of our dreams (huge shout-out to Johanna for making every aspect of our wedding vision a reality). The food was incredible, the ballroom looked gorgeous, and the gardens look beautiful in our photos. A month and a half later, our guests are still talking about how impressed they were with The Commons and the food. The Commons staff was an absolute pleasure to work with for the whole planning process, the rehearsal, and the day-of event, and we can't thank them enough!

Profile Picture Lynnzie, 7/28/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

When looking for a wedding venue I knew I wanted something with character and The Commons 1854 definitely delivered! Not only is it a classy and unique setting but every staff members associated with the space was an absolute pleasure to work with. They are incredibly responsive and would respond to emails within a minutes. We had both our ceremony and reception at The Commons 1854 and it was amazing - the space itself is so beautiful and we received numerous compliments on the food. I cannot think of one negative thing that occurred during planning or on our big day!

Profile Picture Colleen, 7/22/17, 9 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had my wedding ceremony and reception at The Commons 1854, Topsfield on 7/7/17. It was certainly a lucky 7's wedding with some rain that eventually subsided with the sun peeking out to allow beautiful outside photos to be taken. Our wedding coordinator, Johanna was gem to work with! Johanna and the staff captured ever detail. The venue indoor/outdoor space, food, drinks, etc was top notch! I can't say enough about our experience there and would recommend your magical day be hosted at The Commons 1854!

Profile Picture Melissa, 7/7/17, 1 Review
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

The Commons and everyone who works there is nothing short of amazing. They were professional, welcoming, and accommodating at every step of the planning process. Every time I worked with them, I felt confident that we made the right decision in having our wedding there.

Profile Picture Eileen, 6/24/17, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

The Commons was our dream wedding venue. It was stress free and the big day was absolutely stunning. The service was impeccable, the food was out of this world. Our guests are still talking about our wedding!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 6/17/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

The Commons 1854 was my number one choice from the very beginning. Everything about our wedding day was amazing. The rained didn't stop us. The venue is amazing by itself and with our small touches of decor it made it even more beautiful. I loved all the crystals and the chandeliers and especially the amazing customer service from the entire team. Every second we turn someone was right there make sure we were all set. Oooo Let's talk about the food. We chose to go with the gelato for desert instead of cake. It was amazing my favorite was coconut!! All of our guests were raving over the salmon, some even ask for the recipe. My husband had own his special dish which was steak and lobester he truly enjoyed every last bite!! I want to thank all of The Commons 1854 staff for all you did to make my husband and I wedding day so special. Hoping to work with you soon in the future for our daughter's Sweet 15.

Tunis Family

Profile Picture Lourdes , 6/16/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Although our wedding day it down pour the Sun still shined inside the Commons. The staff were amazing anything I needed or my husband needed they were there every step of the way. Exceptional customer service. The food was the topic of the evening some of my guest even ask for the receipe for the salmon. My husband steak and lobster was divine with each bite he took he would say how delicious each bite was. We choose simple decor as the venue is already beautiful all on its own. We all had amazing time!! I'm so happy that we had our wedding at the Commons!!

Profile Picture Lourdes, 6/16/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

The service from planning, set up, the wedding day and cleanup was beyond amazing. I could not have asked for a more perfect day!

Profile Picture Laura, 6/10/17, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

I'm not quite sure where to even start because every aspect of my reception at The Commons 1854 was amazing. My wedding was over 6 months ago and friends and family wont stop raving about the venue, food, drinks, service etc. On multiple occasions friends and family have told me its the best wedding they've ever been to. The staff was amazing making sure I was always taken care of during pictures, dinner, and dancing. Even down to my drink always being refreshed in the corner of the dance floor, waiting for me. My bustle broke, badly, and Johanna jumped in without hesitation to help sew and fix it. The Commons' attention to detail is exquisite and really makes a celebration a memorable experience for the guests, bride, and groom. Thanks to everyone at The Commons who made my day such a memorable day for my husband and I!

Profile Picture Holly, 4/29/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This venue was perfect for my NYE wedding this year! The staff there are amazing, prompt with their responses, professional, and just a pleasure to deal with! My coordinator Johanna was the best!!! She made our day go by smoothly and I always felt comfortable with her at the realm. Honestly she was running around the entire day as much as the rest of the staff. The food here is soooo good and I heard nothing but positive responses from all our guests. This is definitely a venue that takes pride in their service and it shows!

Profile Picture User6131882, 1+ year ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Liquor License, Open Bar, Bridal Suite, Lighting/Sound, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Tastings