The Commons 1854 Reviews

The Commons 1854 5
The Commons 1854 6
The Commons 1854 7

Kristine · Married on 07/13/2019

Would have my wedding here 100x over!

We highly recommend The Commons if you are looking for a classy and elegant venue! Kristi and Gianna made us feel like family and we can’t thank them enough for making our day so special. Gianna was our day-of coordinator and she is an absolute rockstar!! So sweet and always on her A game from the day we first reached out to them to book a tour to the day after the wedding when we said our “goodbyes”. Guests were blown away at how beautiful the space was and people said it was the best food they’ve ever had at a wedding. It will be a day we will never forget and cannot thank them enough for everything!

Sent on 06/04/2019
    The Commons 1854 8
    The Commons 1854 9

Remie Escobales · Married on 06/09/2019

My Dream Wedding

I would like the thank the entire staff members at The Commons for everything. My husband and I were extremely happy with the choice of our venue. Gianna is super sweet, knowledgeable and overall made our wedding day stress-free. Our guests did not stop talking about how amazing the food tasted and how beautiful the venue looked. I would definitely recommend The Commons as a wedding venue because they are literally perfect and will help you with your dream wedding. Thank you once again for an amazing customer service and for making my dream wedding come to reality. I am super happy and content.

Sent on 07/09/2019
  • Megan

Megan Folino · Married on 05/04/2019

Amazing wedding at the Commons

We had our reception at the Commons three weeks ago, and it was absolutely perfect. First of all, the venue itself is beautiful, and doesn't need much extra decorations. Kristi and her team are true professionals. They helped us every step of the way, answering all my questions, and were there the day of the wedding to make sure nothing missed a beat. The food was incredible, and our guests kept telling us how it was some of the best wedding food they've ever had. A lot of venues we looked at made me feel like they were trying to upcharge you for everything, and honestly felt like they were trying to take advantage of you to make an extra buck, but I never felt this way at the Commons. I wholeheartedly recommend this venue for anyone looking in the North Shore area!

Sent on 05/28/2019

Maddie · Married on 01/19/2019

Love this place!

Gianna was amazing!! She went above and beyond for us and helped us feel like everything was under control. We spoke briefly to other staff while working with them, and everyone was great. We got such rave reviews from our guests about the venue itself and the food! It's beautiful here and the food is so good! We're so happy we chose this venue!

Sent on 02/06/2019

The Commons 1854's reply:

Thank you for the great review, Maddie! We are thrilled to hear that your day was wonderful and the food was delicious. Please stay in touch, we love getting updates as life progresses.
  • Sarah

Sarah Hamilton · Married on 12/22/2018

10/10 - Can't Beat The Commons 1854

We had the absolute BEST experience with The Commons 1854 and their staff, especially Gianna. Not only is their food, venue and service amazing, but they truly go out of their way to make sure that your wedding is uniquely yours and everything you imagined. We lost my husband's mother less than 2 months before our wedding unexpectedly and Gianna and her staff made sure that we were supported through our whole wedding and had an amazing night, knowing and anticipating some very difficult moments. They went above and beyond through the planning process to answer questions, help make sure we were on track with planning and anything we needed, and to provide fantastic recommendations for guest accommodations, DJ, shuttle service and other vendors. I can't imagine having gotten married anywhere else!

Sent on 01/28/2019
    The Commons 1854 10
    The Commons 1854 11

The Commons 1854's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sarah. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us—and we agree, Gianna is a wonderful Event Specialist to have on our team! We are thrilled you were able to enjoy your absolutely beautiful wedding day. Your family will always be in our thoughts and prayers. Please stay in touch!

Jennifer · Married on 10/12/2018

A dream come true

I can't say enough about how amazing our wedding was at The Commons 1954 on 10/12/18. The staff at The Commons made the whole planning process painless! We specifically worked closely with Kristi and Maura, but the whole staff was amazing!

Mora felt like an extensions of my bridesmaids throughout the whole process - she took the time to get to know us and had so many wonderful ideas. On the day of the wedding she was absolutely perfect ensuring everything went smoothly. We literally did not have to think about anything other than enjoying ourselves and celebrating. Maura was absolutely perfect in coordinating everything that needed to happen - to pumping the bridal party up before walking in to the reception, to bustling my dress, and even packing us up some wedding cake to enjoy after the wedding. She truly felt like a good friend, and she honestly wanted us to truly enjoy our day.

To anyone thinking about having their wedding at The Commons - you will not regret it! Our day was absolutely perfect, I am tearing up now just thinking about it!

Sent on 10/30/2018

The Commons 1854's reply:

Thank you for the great review, Jennifer! We are thrilled to hear that your day was wonderful, and the food was delicious. Please stay in touch, we love getting updates as life progresses xoxo!

Dorothy · Married on 10/06/2018

Just had my daughter and son-in-law's wedding. The venue is amazing and the food was so good. Ceremony was beautiful outside. Best of all was Maura, she exceeded my expectations. She kept everything running and organized and let us enjoy the day rather than worrying and keeping track of the tasks. Highly recommended

Sent on 10/11/2018

Leah Hoyland · Married on 10/06/2018

Easy and Perfect Day

I could not have dreamt of a more perfect day for my wedding day. Not only is the Commons a beautiful venue that does not need a ton of decorations but also they run a tight ship helping any bride or groom out throughout the planning process answering any question you can think of to every detail being thought through and executed perfectly on the day of. Our coordinator, Maura, kept telling us that she did not want us to worry about anything except to have fun and enjoy our wedding day and this was beautifully executed. Also, the food was absolutely amazing! It was so delicious that we have gotten so many compliments from our guest for the next few weeks following the wedding... even the ones considered foodies were raving about how delicious it tasted. You would think by choosing a venue where they really know what they are doing that you would just be another "wedding" that is not the case at all. Everyone that works at the venue, especially Maura, really makes you feel like you are the only wedding that month, with so much attention to detail and such warm greetings. I could not rave about The Commons enough and it was the perfect choice.

Sent on 10/18/2018
    The Commons 1854 12
    The Commons 1854 13

The Commons 1854's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Leah. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Maura is a wonderful Event Specialist to have on our team! We are thrilled you were able to enjoy your dream wedding. Please stay in touch!
  • Amanda

Amanda Prather · Married on 09/29/2018

Pure. Freaking. Magic. PERIOD.

Point blank: Our wedding was like a fantasy. It was an actual dream come true. It was everything we could have hoped for and SO MUCH MORE-- and we have The Commons 1854 to thank for that. I do not exaggerate when I say that our wedding was absolutely perfect. P-e-r-f-e-c-t with a capital P, and I mean that from the bottom of my soul.

Not only are the Martino's a lovely family to work with, they are also backed by an amazing crew of chefs, coordinators, and caterers, all dedicated to making your big day, truly, the BEST day. We could not have asked for a better venue, a better family, and a better team to bring our dream to life. From the stunning outdoor garden, to the sleek and polished cocktail room, to the grand ballroom, golden, sparkling, and beautiful-- The Commons 1854 is a stunning venue.

But the people behind it are what truly make this venue special. Kristi was the most attentive coordinator! She was constantly providing for us, checking up on us, helping us keep things moving, assisting us when we needed it, making sure we were eating and staying sane amongst all the glorious chaos. Kristi was a fabulous hostess and really went above and beyond to make sure my husband, our bridal party, our family, and our guests were taken care of. Truly, the entire family is so incredibly kind, caring, attentive, and flexible. I really don't have the words to do my feelings about the Martino family justice. We love you guys so much.

Furthermore, sometimes, the venue itself can be outstanding, but the food might be so-so. I know i've personally been to a few weddings were the food was downright unimpressive. NOT with the Martinos! This family prides themselves on their cooking, traveling to Europe to learn from world class chefs. Let me tell you, it really shows in the food! Not only do you get an incredible venue, you get 5 star chefs catering your day just the way you like it! Eveything was so darn delicious. From our cocktail hour appetizers (coconut shrimp, mango brie tartlets, grilled cheese and tomato soup shooters-- need I say more?!), to the main course (prime rib, roasted turkey, seasoned vegetables, greek pasta salad, quinoa salad, pasta three ways), to late night snacks (pizza and french fries, duh!), to our very own gelato sundae bar featuring six flavors--- our guests were blown away by the delectable quality of the food. I find myself craving the food we had that night even today!

Truthfully, I could go on and on about how much I love this venue, the family behind it, and the time and attention they pour into every single couple they encounter. Don't just take my word for it-- book the Commons 1854 for your big day. I promise the Martino family will pull out all the stops to blow you away and make your day truly memorable, and magical.

Thank you Kristi, Frank, Frankie, Gianna, Maura, and the Commons 1854 staff from the bottom of our hearts. The hardwork you put in to make our day spectacular touches my heart so much. Our wedding truly could NOT have been any better. It was literally perfect, and we have you guys to thank for that. THANK YOU

Sent on 10/29/2018
    The Commons 1854 14
    The Commons 1854 15
    The Commons 1854 16
    The Commons 1854 17

Amanda & Chris,
    It was truly an honor to be part of your magical day. All of your personal touches made your wedding so amazing! Your ceremony was beyond touching leaving us all in tears. The love the two of you share is so evident and heartfelt. The day was filled with so much love! All of your family and friends were so kind it flowed throughout the venue. Your creativity was astounding, from the painting of your ceremony canvas to the guests painting a canvas for you. You made the room look gorgeous from the custom linens, the centerpieces you created down to the table names, the groomsmen's ties and the girl's necklaces. Thank you for trusting The Commons with your most special day. You will always be part of the most beautiful wedding memory here at The Commons. I miss you both already . Hugs & Kisses

Stephanie · Married on 09/14/2018

I don't even know where to begin. Gianna you were absolutely amazing and there for me every step of the way, especially on the wedding day, when I started to feel anxious. Besides the wonderful staff, including Kristi, everything was superb. The food is THE BEST. the hall is breathtaking, photos do not do it justice. I highly recommend the commons, you will not regret it! Thank you for everything!!

Sent on 09/26/2018

The Commons 1854's reply:

Thank you for the great review, Stephanie! We are thrilled to hear that your day was wonderful, and the food was delicious. Please stay in touch, we love getting updates as life progresses!

Danielle · Married on 06/30/2018

We threw the wedding of the century at The Commons 1854 in Topsfield, MA! We first fell in love with the Commons because of the amazing event planners, the beautiful, New England, and classic space, and a lot of recommendations. We could not have been more thrilled with the result. My husband and I met as English Majors in college and wanted to have a literary themed wedding. The Commons was super accommodating to our theme- they let us use book titles instead of table numbers and gave us plenty of ideas. Our wedding party was huge (17 people) and we were able to fit everyone under the pergola in the garden for the ceremony.

The food was amazing. The passed hors derves were incredible and there was plenty for everyone (178 guests). Our meals were cooked perfectly! We had 140 filet mignons and each was cooked absolutely perfectly. We also had a cake made from their outside partner vendor that was both lemon raspberry and cannoli flavored. They even made a separate batman cake for my husband that came out amazing!

Finally, our wedding planner, Maura Galligan was absolutely the best wedding planner ever. She thought of everything and was able to make all of our ideas (both crazy and seemingly impossible) work flawlessly with her incredible organization, attention to detail, ,and eerie ability to be in multiple places at once. I felt so at ease with her running things. We never knew anything went wrong if it did, and we were able to eat, and dance all night on our wedding day because of her incredible effort to make all our wedding dreams come true!

Sent on 07/19/2018

B · Married on 06/02/2018

The staff at The Commons is amazing! We worked with Kristi and Gianna at various times through the planning process of my daughter's wedding and then more closely with Gianna as the wedding day neared. Gianna was on site the day and night of the wedding, and we were thrilled that she was our wedding coordinator. Everything went like clockwork, just as she promised. Gianna and Kristi are the consummate professionals. They are the most organized and reliable people you could ever hope to work with. Any time we emailed, we received a reply back within an hour or two. They truly created a no-stress wedding experience. My daughter, son-in-law, and I were smitten with The Commons the moment we saw it. From the garden ceremony space to the gorgeous marble floors of the cocktail area to the balconied ballroom, the venue is extraordinarily beautiful and immaculately maintained. Our guests raved about the food, the service, and the ambiance. In addition, the acoustics are fabulous. Thanks, Gianna for helping us to create what our guests called the Best Wedding Ever!

Sent on 06/05/2018

The Commons 1854's reply:

Thank you so much for your incredibly kind words. This means the world to us at The Commons. We miss working with you all and hope everyone is doing well! You guys were THE BEST!! xo

Jackie · Married on 06/02/2018

Our experience with The Commons 1854 was excellent, and we are so happy we chose to celebrate our wedding at their venue. The staff was incredibly thoughtful, attentive, and friendly, which made the planning process and our actual wedding day smooth and enjoyable. Gianna and Kristi were both incredibly responsive and helpful throughout everything. The garden was a perfect backdrop for our ceremony, and guests raved about the beauty of the cocktail space and reception rooms as well. The food was excellent and the gelato/cannolis are not to be missed! The Commons 1854 is a gorgeous venue with one of a kind with service and staff to match. You will be happy you chose them for your special day!

Sent on 07/01/2018

Christina · Married on 05/26/2018

Where do we begin! The Commons is where the best night of our lives took place! Working on such an important event with Gianna and Kristi up until the big day was smooth and as easy as wedding planning could possibly be. It can be stressful at times I thought as most brides do, although their advice and quick responses to any questions made it a lot less worrisome.

The most common thing guests raved about (aside from how beautiful the venue was) was the food. Appetizers were passed during cocktail hour and everyone kept saying how delicious they were. There was more than enough servers going around so everyone had a chance to have an arrangement of what was chosen. We offered a filet that most guests chose and the piece of meat was not only a generous portion, but cooked and seasoned to perfection. We wouldn’t consider the food as “wedding food” because it was more like a 5 course meal you would receive at a high end restaurant. If you are a “foodie” and don’t want to worry about your guests going to Bill & Bobs on the way home, this is the wedding venue for you! :)

We visited 3 venues before visiting The Commons (my sister got married at The Commons in 2014 and I didn’t want to “copy her”) and we couldn’t resist choosing this one out of the others. It was an easy decision after comparing all other options and what you get for your money.

We will forever be grateful that we chose you guys for the best day/night of our lives!

Anthony & Christina Malerba

Sent on 07/23/2018

Kate · Married on 05/12/2018

The Commons 1854 is such a gorgeous venue! Both my husband and I fell in love with it from the moment we first saw it! My wedding day was absolutely perfect and everything I dreamed of would be! My guests are still talking about how great the food was! The entire staff at the commons was extremely helpful and super responsive from start to end. Gianna was such an amazing wedding coordinator! She was extremely helpful and responsive to any questions/concerns I had throughout the wedding planning process. We are so happy we chose The Commons and want to Thank the entire staff for making our wedding day so special!

Sent on 05/26/2018

Kayleigh · Married on 04/15/2018

Everyone at the Commons is super helpful and accommodating. They were great to work with and made our wedding day stress free and perfect.

Sent on 04/25/2018

Don · Married on 02/24/2018

We had a fantastic experience at the commons. From the beginning we felt comfortable and extremely confident in their ability to execute a flawless wedding, and that’s exactly what they did.

We first met with Kristi, who owns this family run business, and she was fantastic helping us to understand our options and how to make the best use of our budget. Once we decided on the venue we worked with Gianna to iron out the details and execute on game day. She was wonderful and even helped us coordinate the shipment of 18 cakes from Pittsburgh that had special meaning for us. This was at no extra cost even though it required their time and a few days of refrigerated storage! Just one of the many examples of the high level of service that is part of their philosophy and simply built in to how they operate.

On the day of, the venue looked gorgeous and things went better than we ever could have imagined; the staff was excellent (several of our guests commented on how great), food (made by venue) was perfect, and Gianna was always nearby asking what we needed or predicting a need we were to busy to even think about! We really couldn’t be happier. I could go on forever but I think the above should capture about all you need to know to at least go check the place and people out for yourself!

Sent on 02/26/2018
    The Commons 1854 18

Deb · Married on 02/17/2018

Overall, I can't say enough good things about The Commons 1854. My daughter's wedding ran so smoothly. Gianna, our wedding coordinator, was AMAZING!!! Somehow, she manages to be everywhere at once. She's professional, kind...just unbelievable at her job. The food.....OUTSTANDING! People are still talking about it. There wasn't a single item that I felt could have been prepared better or tasted better. It's obviously not the cheapest place to hold your wedding, but it's worth every penny. I would 100% recommend The Commons 1854 for any event.

Sent on 03/02/2018

The Commons 1854's reply:

Deb! This made me tear...thank you so much for your kind words. I miss working with you all! Please give Amanda & Anthony my best. Can't believe they are coming up on a year of marriage! xoxo

Heather · Married on 12/31/2017

EVERYTHING AMAZING!!! Kristi and her staff so accommodating, the value and food were superb!!! Couldnt have had a better wedding thank you so much! Heather and Jason 5/20/17

Sent on 08/23/2017

The Commons 1854's reply:

Heather & Jason - it was a pleasure working with you to plan your beautiful wedding day! What a beautiful couple you make! We thank you for the kind words and wish you all the best! xo The Commons 1854

Holly · Married on 12/30/2017

Our wedding was held on December 30, 2017 and was the perfect location for a winter wedding. The venue itself, from the clean modernized downstairs (cocktail hour), to the gold trim, fireplaces, large windows and chandeliers that hang in the ballroom, is gorgeous no matter how you decorate it. It is a very classy, romantic and timeless looking venue.

The Owners, Frank and Kristi and the wedding coordinator, Gianna, could not have been any more amazing to work with. They deserve many thanks for making all of my wedding dreams come to life. Gianna was the perfect wedding coordinator and made sure my husband, myself and all of our guests were well taken care of.

Their staff, on all levels, always stayed so professional and they all made you feel like a part of their family.

The food is unbelievable and guests our still raving about it. Their filet and pizza is a must!

Love Love Love The Commons 1854, it exceeded all of my expectations.

Holly + Mike S.

Sent on 01/09/2018
  • Brianna

Brianna · Married on 12/02/2017

I truly cannot describe in words just how pleased I am that my husband and I chose The Commons 1854 as our wedding venue. As soon as we walked through the front doors while taking a tour on our venue search, we knew we found the perfect location for our big day. From the beginning, Kristi and staff made us feel so welcomed and excited. Any questions we had along the way were answered promptly and thoroughly. During our rehearsal we were informed that our coordinator was ill and would not be able to attend the wedding day. However, Kristi called in another coordinator, Maura, who had absolutely taken every vision we had, and executed every single detail flawlessly. For having met Maura for the first time just two days prior to our wedding day, she hit it out of the park, and that is an understatement! The staff at The Commons 1854 are so wonderful and really take into account your dream wedding and work so very hard to make that vision a reality. The food was exquisite! We have had so many of our friends and family rave about the food, service, and atmosphere. The Commons 1854 genuinely took our wedding, a day that already would've been the best day of our lives, and made it unbelievable and truly unforgettable. Joseph and I cannot thank you enough!

Sent on 12/05/2017

jessica · Married on 11/11/2017

I could not have chosen a better venue! My guests are still talking about how amazing everything was. My two most important things when deciding was food and a beautiful space and they far exceeded all my expectations. On top of the space and food being amazing my coordinator Gianna and every single staff member that worked my wedding went above and beyond. I felt Like a true princess bride who was catered to from the second I stepped Through their doors... along with all my guests! There is absolutely nothing I would change. Brides would be crazy for the commons to not be their #1 choice. If you want the best food, service and a beautiful ballroom the commons is the best choice. My day couldn’t have been anymore beautiful and went any more smoother then it did and at the end of the day that’s all a bride hopes for. So thankful with my choice at having my fairytale wedding at the commons 1854.

Sent on 12/06/2017

Richard · Married on 08/25/2017

I am the father of the bride. We were thrilled with this service. The facility was stunning, lovely and historic, the staff went beyond outstanding to make this wedding day extra special, with their amazing warmness and hospitality. They were ready to make rapid changes to everything and anything we requested at the ceremony and during the event, without hesitation. They celebrated with us, and truly made us think we were the ONLY event on their minds and hearts. Family members told me the next day how much they enjoyed the event. Most importantly, my daughter was thrilled beyond belief. Fathers can tell. We had an elder relative who passed out and needed hospital care. The staff was ready for this, made the emergency arrangements, and were very kind and warm to the relative until he was whisked away in the ambulance. The staff stayed as late as we needed, beyond the end of the event. The wedding ceremony was held on the grounds in a beautiful garden complete with shrubs with side cover to enclose the area, and a beautiful canopy at the alter. During the rehearsal, they stayed well beyond it to be sure everyone felt good with the plans, answering every question (thanks to me, this went on for a while...). I would help arrange another family wedding at The Commons in a heartbeat ! Thank you so much for making my daughter's day so wonderful !

Note: I don't have the details of the questions below, but my daughter does. And, she could provide the signed contract. You may ask any questions through me

Sent on 09/16/2017

Christina · Married on 08/06/2017

We had the most incredible experience at The Commons 1854!! The day was flawless thanks to the entire staff. Everything ran smoothly due to our coordinator Johanna's preparation, experience and attention to detail. Our entire guest list felt so welcome and cared for throughout the day. Our previous meetings with Frank, Kristi and Gianna left no questions unanswered and gave us peace of mind on the big day!

Sent on 08/11/2017

The Commons 1854's reply:

Christina! We cannot thank you enough for your kind words. We are so appreciative of your review and we are so glad that we had the opportunity to serve you and your guests on your amazing wedding day! We wish you the very best and all the happiness in the world! xo The Commons 1854