The Big Chill Beach Club and Event Deck Reviews

19 | Bethany Beach, DE

19 Reviews for The Big Chill Beach Club and Event Deck

Taylor Wilkinson · Getting married on 10/08/2021

Five out of Five stars, easy to work with.

Perfect location, beachy, but can be made very elegant. Friendly and attentive staff (as the bride I was never without a glass of champagne all night).

Sent on 10/29/2020
  • Betsy

Betsy Carter · Married on 09/09/2020

Big Chill Is A Wedding Party Paradise!

Where do I even begin?! From the moment my husband and I toured Big Chill Beach Club as a potential wedding venue, we knew it was the perfect place for our September wedding. The laid back atmosphere paired with incredible views of the ocean and Indian River Inlet Bridge is simply unmatched. We were also fortunate to have been blessed with perfect September weather.

Kathy of La Vida Hospitality, my wedding planner Ashley of Make My Day Events, and my florist Carly of Thurman & Fig truly transformed the Big Chill Beach Club into a party paradise! The draped ceiling and string lights were stunning. Two months later, my guests continue to rave about the venue and the food. The cake pops and macarons from Carolina Sugar Fairy were a huge hit!

At first glance, the tent may seem too small to accommodate a large guest list, but I assure you it is spacious. We had 160 guests along with a live band, and there was still plenty of room for guests to feel comfortable and move about. While the tent is right next to the restaurant, our reception truly felt like a private event. I should note that the bathrooms aren't exactly wedding dress-friendly, but they're state park property. If it's a big concern for you and you have room in your budget, consider renting one of those luxury portable restroom trailers.

Words can't express how wonderful and refreshing it was to work with Kathy in bringing our wedding vision and vibe to life. She was always prompt to respond whenever we needed to touch base. My husband and I ended up missing most of our cocktail hour because of photos. Upon entering our reception, she personally delivered us a plate of hors d'oeuvres. It was like she read our minds!

The Big Chill Beach Club exceeded our expectations. We didn't want the night to end!

Sent on 11/21/2019

Nicole · Married on 10/04/2019

Our Dream Beach Wedding

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Big Chill Beach Club on 10.04.2019. I cannot say enough how perfect the day was. My guests will not stop gushing about how amazing the food, venue, and staff were. Kathy McDonald, our catering manager and number one contact, is the absolute best! Throughout this entire process she was quick and happy to answer all my questions, and completely customized the event to fit our needs and budget. Our vision completely came to life with her help. Thank you to everyone at The Big Chill for such a beautiful and memorable day.

Sent on 12/02/2019

Erin · Married on 09/15/2019

Easy Breezy!

We want to do it all over again! From start to finish, Kathy was so easy to work with, was flexible with making menu selections, coordinated the "day of" details so we could enjoy the day & not worry about the stressful logistics. We chose the Deck Party Package & it flowed so well & allowed for a more social & casual vibe that we were going for. The food was fantastic & there was plenty of it! Thanks to the whole team at the Big Chill Beach Club for making our day so special.

Sent on 12/17/2019

Justin · Married on 08/31/2019

Local 100% Recommends Venue & Staff

I am a Delawarean -- born and raised in Northern Delaware and spending summers in Southern Delaware at the beach. Big Chill Beach Club is EXACTLY what the beach has been needing for many years. This venue is stunning! I would encourage any hopeful couple to take a trip and see for yourselves. Aside from the views - the staff and vendor list that LaVida can provide for you is amazing. I am a "retired" wedding photographer and I still have a list of go to vendors who came highly recommended from past weddings -- all of those people were on their list as well.

If I had to get married again - I wouldn't change a single thing!

Sent on 12/11/2019

Rachel · Married on 09/21/2018

I have a feeling I’m going to run out of characters on this review ranting and raving about Kathy and the Big Chill Beach club...

To start: Kathy. Oh my goodness. As an out of town bride I never had to worry with my wedding in Kathy’s hands. If I needed something, she responded. If I wanted something, she found a way to do it. If I was apprehensive about something, she made me feel better. She was simply simply amazing. She never made me feel like I was asking too much or bothering her. She was simply so fabulous!

There was a moment after getting our pictures taken and walking by the tent where I was told “Kathy needs you!” I got nervous! I turned a corner to find her with a plate full of hor dourves for my husband and me! She had the biggest smile and we were seriously beaming and grateful back!

Next: the venue itself. When I looked out at the moon rising over the ocean and the sun setting over the bridge/bay I really had to take it all in. We were fortunate to have fabulous weather that enhanced the venues beauty. The breeze through the tent helped us stay comfortable on a September night! It was spacious, too! The staff was awesome. They were friendly and happy, bar tenders were quick which was great because I was concerned with there only being one bar (2 bar tenders for 180 people)!

Ours guests raved about the venue and it’s staff and although I knew it in working with them for 10 months, I’m so grateful my guests agreed in our 5 hour reception! Thank you, Kathy and The Big Chill Beach Club!

Sent on 09/26/2018

Nicole · Married on 06/22/2018

Joe and I booked our wedding before the venue was even built. We got to work with Kathy the whole time - perfect! The team was flexible as we had an uncharacteristic rainy and misty day and they waited until the last moment to make the call to stay outside with us. The menu was customized (for an additional cost) to perfectly match our tropical oasis theme. Drinks were fabulous. Staff is so friendly and amazing. We've already been back to the club to celebrate little anniversaries. Love that it is a blank canvas and we could really add our touches to it.

Sent on 07/21/2018

Emily help us throw together an amazing surprise vow renewal for my father and mother in law. It was a beautiful ceremony on the beach and an amazing reception (with awesome food) overlooking the bridge. It was absolutely perfect. Emily was responsive and even on the reception floor herself helping out. We had such a blast because of her. I highly recommend using this venue. It was absolutely perfect.

Sent on 08/29/2017

Katina · Married on 10/22/2017

I recently had the pleasure of working at the Big Chill Event Deck. The views are breathtaking, Emily and the staff are helpful and professional, and the food is delicious! I cannot wait to plan more events there!

Sent on 11/02/2017

Regan · Married on 10/22/2017

Amazing food, presentation and service, all wrapped up with some of the best views at the beach. I don't have one bad thing to say about working with Big Chill before, during or after my event.

Sent on 11/02/2017

V · Married on 10/07/2017

Emily is incredible to work with! She went above and beyond and took care of every detail with ease, relieving any iota of stress from us. Food, drinks and service were all impeccable. The setting is absolutely stunning and beyond perfect for any event. I would HIGHLY recommend hosting your next special occasion at Big Chill!

Sent on 10/12/2017

Sarah · Married on 09/10/2017

I had an intimate baby shower at The Big Chill and it was the most beautiful setting! The food (taco bar) was delicious and the staff - especially Emily - was fantastic to work with. I would definitely recommend The Big Chill for your next event!

Sent on 09/14/2017

Effie · Married on 08/04/2017

Absolutely the perfect venue with the ocean in front of you and the gorgeous lit bridge behind you. Nage catering was exceptional to work with and the food, wait staff, and Kathy McDonnell were beyond my expectations!
    Don't look anywhere else to host your next party

Rhonda · Married on 07/07/2017

Emily Hare has been a joy to work with. Everything was amazing. Definitely recommending Big Chill to everyone I come across. Not to many places with work with you planning a spur of the moment wedding in a month Big Chill was awesome.

Dennis · Married on 08/04/2017

The staff as well as the owner(s) were more than accommodating and took the time to rearrange a date cancellation and make the rescheduled date a true success. The folks who attended our event have had nothing but great things to say about the event and in fact, requested contact information to also plan their event at the location on the beach at Big Chill. Can't thank you all enough for such a great experience !!

• Krissy

Krissy · Married on 09/29/2019

beautiful venue, easy to work with

Kathy was very easy to work with, it was nice to have food/beverage/venue/ceremony/linens all organized by one person/La Vida. Gorgeous location, good food, great service.

Sent on 10/09/2019

Linda · event on: 09/13/2017

The atmosphere, food and service were all fantastic. Emily was easy to work with and responded quickly with answers to questions. We would recommend holding events at this location.

Sent on 09/14/2017
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 08/29/2015

3.5

Beautiful venue and tented area! One downside is the bathrooms are the beach bathrooms. They are wet, old, and sand everywhere. Wish they had private bathroom under the tented area for party guests. The staff was great and food was delicious. We had plenty of it!

Sent on 05/15/2018

Michele · Married on 06/23/2018

1.8
      3.0
      0.5
      3.0
      1.0
      1.5

While the view and location can’t be beat, the venue still has a lot of kinks to get out.
    Cons:
    -The catering manager is condescending and not at all respsonsive.
    -The event coordinator either quit or was fired a month before our wedding and no one reached out from the venue to let us know.
    - They apparently have no where to store a wedding cake on premise which required my cake to be stored in our air bnb refrigerator, and then our day of coordinator (a separate person we hired because they don’t have day of coordination) had to go get it during the ceremony.
    - They had minimal staff working our weddinng and tables were not bussed in a timely manner.
    - If your wedding is on a Saturday (which is a 1,500 upcharge on the venue fee) and there is a Friday wedding, they will try to slap with you around 900 dollars in overtime fees to deliver your rentals.
    Pros:
    - I got a lot of compliments on the food
    - views are gorgeous
    - generous bar package

Sent on 07/06/2018