SW Event Designers Reviews

95 | Woodbridge, VA

95 Reviews for SW Event Designers

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Was very creative and incorporated all of my thoughts and ideas. Very attentive on the day of the event and was extremely easy and pleasant to work with.

Sent on 12/18/2013

Kaleisha · Married on 05/29/2011

When the unexpected happened Susan was right there willing to work with us. She was very nice and her response time to emails was phenominal! Our flowers were not very complicated and I was grateful that she unerstood that was exactly what we wanted and she delivered perfectly! Everything went smoothly and we were very pleased with Susan, the quality of the flowers, the delivery and set up, and the accessories she allowed us to use and return. It was such a pleasure to work with Susan!

Sent on 09/18/2011

Jennifer · Married on 05/29/2010

This was - by far - my favorite vendor. You will not find another florist in the area that is this affordable and accomodating. My flowers were absolutely gorgeous. Susan Wegner, owner of the company, was incredibly accomodating, changing and adding on to my order up to the final weeks before the wedding. And all of the changes and additions were at a very low cost compared to what other florists would charge. In the consultation she listened to my idea and my cost restraints and was able to work both into a product that was perfect. Flowers can get very expensive but if you choose this company you will surely be happy with the product on any budget.

Sent on 06/30/2010

Kayla · Married on 04/11/2010

Working with Susan was great! The bouquets came out just as I had imagined them, even without giving Susan much more than my own description. They were the prettiest bouquets I'd ever seen, and the centerpieces looked very garden-fresh, as I had hoped. She was incredibly responsive, easy to work with, and a great value for the cost. If I were to do it again, I would pick SW Floral Designs again, without question!

Sent on 04/24/2010

Constace · Married on 08/02/2009

talented and easy to work with, goes the extra mile to help a bride reach her vision for her wedding day

Sent on 08/10/2009

Katrina · Married on 05/27/2017

Susan was the florist for our wedding on 5/27/17. The bouquets and floral arrangements she made were beautiful! I was highly pleased! She was very accommodating and helpful throughout the few months leading up to our wedding. The only thing I noticed that was missing on the day of our wedding was rose petals and an empty vase on our sweetheart table to place my bouquet. This was upsetting for me because I felt our table looked bland. However, it was indeed a very small detail that my day of coordinator definitely could have fixed. Overall, Susan was great and I would use her again in the future.

Sent on 06/01/2017

SW Event Designers's reply:

Thank you for the nice review. Prior to the start of your ceremony, I spoke with Becca, the venue coordinator, and asked that your vase, as well as the other girls' vases, be brought from the bridal room (should you choose to display their bouquets at the reception). She did assure me that she would take care of it and I'm sorry that it did not happen.

We had beautiful flowers for our wedding. Susan was very helpful and knowledgeable and was able to work within our budget. I would highly recommend her due to professionalism as well. Out of all the vendors, she was the easiest one to work with.

Sent on 11/16/2013

SW Event Designers's reply:

Thank you for your kind review. Can you please contact me to let me know which bride this is? Thanks!

Peggy · Married on 06/22/2013

Susan was so easy to work with and made some great suggestions when we told her the colors for the wedding. She can usually get just about any type flower you are looking for. She makes the time to meet with you to be sure she has a complete understanding of what you are looking for on your wedding day. She is flexible to changes and arrived when she said she would on the day of the wedding. We needed extra time after the wedding to return the items that belonged to Susan and she was kind enough to give us two weeks to get everything back to her. That was so helpful since we were traveling and not in the area.

Sent on 07/08/2013

Theresa · Married on 06/26/2010

I absolutely loved working with Susan and highly recommend her. She is the 5th florist my husband and I met with and we were very discouraged at the time of our initial meeting. Susan was willing to work with our budget, upfront with her prices, willing to work with the style we selected for our wedding and had suggestions for other floral decorations.

My husband and I wanted to be all in black and white - he did not wear any color in his tux and we did not want any color in our flowers. I am petite and had a very slim fitting dress that needed a smaller brides bouquet to not overwhelm me or take away from the dress. I love calla lillies and Susan made a beautiful bouquet for me that complemented my dress perfectly. She kept the elegant, understated we look we wanted by using white calla lillies for the bridesmaids, boutonnieres, and centerpieces. We were thrilled with the quality of the flowers and how the design fit with our vision for the day. (Other florists had pressured us to use a variety of flowers and lots of colors).

Susan accomodated changes in locations and our order without any trouble. She informed us that the Walk for the Cure would interefere with our plans for the morning of the wedding and, despite road closures all over DC, was still able to deliver the flowers early on the day of the wedding. The church had another event scheduled prior to our wedding which they did not inform us of ahead of time. Susan was able to handle it and still set-up the church beautifully for our wedding. Susan was wonderful to work with before the wedding and on the big day.

Sent on 07/08/2010

Kathy · Married on 10/05/2013

3.5

I ended up having a different color dress on the day, so the bouquet was not matching, and the artificial leaves used for the cake weren't quite enough, or matching very well the picture I showed, yet the Lantern/Fall Leaf Center-pieces were GREAT, and Susan was very receptive to ideas and professionally handled all requests in a positive and timely manor! : )

Sent on 11/03/2013

Kathy,

I am so sorry the bouquet did not match your dress. I had no idea you changed your dress selection - had I known I would have altered your silk bouquet. I am happy you were pleased with the centerpieces. I enjoyed working with you and Mark and wish you both much happiness!
  • User2046207 · 2+ years ago

We worked with Susan for our wedding. Susan was great to work with; we told her about our theme (tropical paradise) and she helped pick out some beautiful flowers that matched the theme. She helped us get familiar with the flowers by providing us access to an online flower portal. A picture means a thousand words so it was great to have access to this initially as well as throughout the planning process.

We also very much loved the composition of the bouquets she put together for us. She put together a gorgeous cascading bouquet as requested and even provided an extra bouquet for the bouquet toss. The cascading bouquet really helped reinforced our tropical paradise theme in that it was lush and wrapped with something similar to a banana leaf. We also requested Pomander bouquets for the bridesmaids and those were just as beautiful. The only regret that I have is regarding the color matching. Most of the flowers worked out great but one of the flowers used throughout did not quite match the color we were looking for which was very important to us. Otherwise, Susan was great to work with and I would welcome the opportunity to work with her once again.

Sent on 09/06/2012

SW Event Designers's reply:

Thank you for your review. I hope you understand the difficulty we had matching the coral color you requested as that color is difficult to match without going too far in the orange family. It was a pleasure to work with you and David and I wish you both much happiness in the future!

Lauren · Married on 09/01/2012

4.2
      3.5

I enjoyed working with Susan and very much appreciated how flexible and responsive she was, in addition to how reasonable her prices were. Susan helped me to find and purchase some unique touches and she was always quick to respond to my e-mails. Such responsiveness was much appreciated as we were planning the wedding from a few states away!

However, I was disappointed in the minimal amount of advice I received, especially when I had specifically requested her professional opinion on a few occasions and rather than discussing the options, changes were simply made to the contract. This turned out to greatly affect the overall execution because the main flowers used in the bridesmaids bouquets turned out to be pale yellow instead of bright yellow and I had no idea that tulips used in bouquets are still budding. These budding tulips stood out significantly in height from the rest of the flowers in several of the bridesmaids bouquets. The bridesmaids bouquets did not look at all as I was anticipating, due in large part to what I see as a lack in providing a professional opinion when requested and/or needed, though I know that I, too, should have followed up more upon not receiving the guidance requested.

Additionally, my bouquet was not nearly as full as I thought that it would be and the edges of some of the flowers were already brown when I first received it.

Lastly, I had been very excited about the centerpiece design that we wrote into the contract, which included lemon slices put on each side of a square vase set in marbles. I was disappointed to see at the reception that this part of the design was not incorporated. The centerpieces still looked beautiful, but it was frustrating to have had a vision in mind that had been agreed upon not come to fruition.

Sent on 09/16/2012

SW Event Designers's reply:

Thank you for your review, Lauren. As I explained to you, the tulips were nestled into the bouquet to avoid them "growing" out of the bouquets. They also were closed, because they were fresh and looking they way tulips should.

I also apologize for the confusion regarding the lemon slices in the centerpieces. I was under the mistaken impression that you no longer wanted them and for that I do apologize.

It was a pleasure working with you.

Denielle · Married on 10/01/2011

4.2

I did not give a whole lot of structure regarding the flower arrangement and bouquets, but what was delivered was gorgeous! I picked the main type of flowers and the colors and I let Susan do the rest. The bouquets looked amazing and the centerpieces were more than I imagined! SW Floral Designs did a wonderful job of making my ideas a reality!

Sent on 10/12/2011

Carrie · Married on 06/19/2010

Our flowers turned out beautiful as did our centerpieces. I feel for the price you pay for flowers, tearing down the reception should be included in that. I didn't like having my family being responsible for her centerpieces being used and bringing them back with me. This was stressful the day after the wedding when all worries should be gone.

Sent on 08/10/2010

SW Event Designers's reply:

Thank you for your response. I am glad you were pleased with the flowers. I understand your concerns about having to remove items following your wedding. We did discuss the fact several times in person and via email that the delivery fee covered delivery and standard set up only and it was clearly outlined in your contract as well. I agree that it is a hassle for family and friends to be responsible for collecting vases and other items following the reception. It is a service that I do offer but at an extra expense and you chose not to purchase that option.

3.6
      3.5

The centerpieces were incredible! The boutonnieres and corsages were a bit more simple than I was expecting but they still looked nice. The bridesmaids bouquets were beautiful as was my toss bouquet. The bride's bouquet was not what was expected - asked for a waterfall bouquet but instead got more of a clutch bouquet with a few strands of greenery coming down from it with 3-4 flowers in it. I was expecting (as was the groom) more white flowers creating the waterfall instead. It was still beautiful though. The vendor is not quite able to separate stress from one event and another - if she's stressed about one event she has, it may come out on you inadvertently. Besides that, she is wonderful to work with and very adaptable the day of your event and quick to communicate with you.

Sent on 10/21/2014

Dena,

I am sorry that you were not pleased with your bouquet as you expressed exactly the opposite of that on the day of your wedding. Your bouquet was only $95, so you received the size that was appropriate for that price - the average price of a bridal bouquet is between $120 and $180 and many florists charge considerably more. Also, an hour before your wedding you handed me a small Bible from your grandparents and asked me to add it to your bouquet - I gladly did this for you.

Your boutonnieres were also only $5.00 for the bridal party, fathers and grandfathers. The ushers were only $3.00 and were only to contain berries. They were also made to the specifications you requested (single callas for the groom and groomsmen with berries and green accents and double callas and berries for the fathers/grandfathers).

I do apologize if you feel that the stress you were referring to was taken out on you. I believe I know the incident you are referring to and that was long ago settled and apologized for and (in my mind) forgotten. I worked with you and Eric over 9 months and even offered you a monthly payment plan that you could afford - something I do not do for anyone else. To be given a 3.7 rating after everything you praised me for is somewhat unjustified, but so be it.

I do wish you and Eric much happiness in the future.

Truc · Married on 06/10/2012

3.6
      3.5

The flowers turned out nice. I wanted all white with just a little touch of orange but ended up with some red roses.

Sent on 07/29/2012

SW Event Designers's reply:

Truc, thank you for the review. As we discussed following your wedding, only orange rockstar roses were used, not one red rose was purchased or used at your wedding. Best wishes to you.
  • User4133590 · Recently married

2.8
      2.0

I am hesitant to write this review, but I think that future couples should be aware, as I had seen such good reviews of Susan on WeddingWire. We hired Susan as a "day-of" planner. We coordinated with Susan to meet in person 2 weeks before the wedding at the venue to go over things. Per her request, we had paid in full for her services a month out. However, we got to the in-person meeting 2 weeks before the wedding and she had just had major knee surgery. She could not walk or carry things, and was dependent on a cane. The problem was not that she'd had the surgery, it was that she had known about the surgery and had us pay in full without saying anything about her mobility. She could not do any of the things that we had hired her for, basically. We felt strongly that she should have let us know about the surgery and offered to allow us to hire someone else or to get a substitute to assist with our wedding. We felt stuck, as we had already paid.

We emailed her our concerns and asked that she get someone to help, and she said she would bring her husband, which she did. At the wedding, she and her husband lit the candles on the table but did not take charge of anything else. People at the wedding kept coming up to me asking who the planner was and were incredulous when I pointed her out, as she was always just sitting. I feel badly writing this, but I felt deceived by Susan's decision not to tell us about her surgery and hiring her ended up being a waste of money.

Sent on 09/18/2018

SW Event Designers's reply:

Although I will support my work ethic below, I must say your wedding and personal touches were beautiful.
    I disclosed the fact that I was scheduled for a knee replacement prior to you hiring me. At the venue visit, I was walking with the assistance of a cane, but cleared by my surgeon. The only concern I had, that I voiced to you & your mother, was removing 70 chairs & carrying them down the hill. You voiced your concerns & asked if I would bring reinforcements. I stated my husband was coming to provide assistance. I assured you that he could handle the chairs & you said that was great. You also stated that your brother & others would be on hand to assist. You never asked me to step aside & let you hire anyone else, nor did I feel that was necessary.
    The venue consisted of two rooms. There was no room to discretely stay out of the way of the guests. I made the decision to set up two chairs in a corner of the outside room where we would be out of the way but able to assist if needed.
    As far as me only “lighting candles” & doing nothing more – that is not true.
    In addition to taking down the chairs, my husband assisted in setting up the chairs. I carried heavy bowls of flowers from the kitchen to the guest tables unassisted & without difficulty. We added lights to potted palms on the deck of the house & two wooden fences. We set up & replenished the dessert table, welcome easel & tray for the front flower display. I worked with the vendors throughout the evening. Several drink spills on the dance floor & bathroom areas were cleaned up. I coordinated with the DJ to announce the dinner buffet & first dances. We bussed tables on the deck. I repacked the desserts. I packed up décor & carried them to the front of the building. I also helped carry extra alcohol to the front.
    I am sorry you felt “stuck” with my services but requiring the balance 30 days prior to the wedding is standard. I wish you the best.

Stacey · Married on 04/05/2009

2.8
      2.0

We were partially satisfied with Susan's floral services. She had the best prices of the florists we consulted, and a 3 positive reviews on Wedding Wire. She was friendly and great to work with during the process.

Our main disappointment on our wedding day was with the centerpieces at the reception. The centerpieces ended up having a large, green plastic (cheap-looking) planter that held the flowers in the tall skinny vases (almost 24 inches high). When I asked her about this after the wedding, Susan said that she realized just a day or two before the wedding, that the vases would need more support and so made an "executive decision" to use these big green plastic planters to keep the flowers balanced in the vases. I was surprised and not pleased with this, because she knew my wedding planner and could have easily contacted her (or me) to explore other options.

As a result, the centerpieces were not very attractive, and were cheapened by the large green piece of plastic sticking out of all of them. Months before, I had even paid for a trial-run centerpiece, so there should not have been any surprises or last-minute changes. She had months to get it right, and if there did need to be a last-minute change, she should have consulted with me or my wedding planner.

Susan did a nice job with the ceremony decorations; the bouquets on the chuppah were very pretty. The bridesmaids bouquets were very nice; the mother-of-the-bride and mother-of the groom corsages were very nice; the boutineers were okay. My bouquet was pretty.

I know Susan worked hard on this project and was in communication with me frequently throughout the year in order to try to do what we wanted within our budget. It's too bad that the reception centerpieces turned out the way they did.

Sent on 11/23/2009

Laura · Married on 05/23/2015

1.4
      0.0
      0.0
      1.0

5 months prior to our wedding, I emailed Susan photos of what I wanted our reception flowers to look like. We met twice in person. The photos I gave her were of pale pink and pale peach flowers with a touch of greenery accent. I was disappointed to find white centerpieces with hot pink roses sticking out on either side. The bridesmaid's bouquets were oddly shaped as floppy hydrangeas were used and roses which were poking out of the top instead of being shaped into a more rounded bouquet. The contract did state hydrangeas would be used, but I assumed the mini version as accents amongst roses, not the other way around. The contract also stated "pink" flowers, but I assumed in the pale pink/peach color family as this is what I had provided photos of. Susan had agreed to bring three tall, cylinder vases for the bridesmaids to place their bouquets at the bar at the reception. She did not follow through. There were no vases. The bouquets quickly wilted into limp heaps on the bar. The boutineers and corsages for our groomsmen, fathers, readers, etc. were nowhere to be found before the ceremony. Susan and I had agreed upon a specific location for them to be delivered and even after a thorough search after the ceremony, the flowers were never found. An outstanding invoice of $38 was cancelled after my father called to discuss the $75 worth of missing flowers. The mother's corsages were fine and my bouqet was ok although some of the edges of the roses were browning. I had every confidence in Susan after my meetings with her and to say I was disappointed in the result is an understatement. To get a birthday bouquet wrong is one thing, but to get wedding day flowers wrong is a big deal. She would do herself and her business a favor to heed the feedback of other customers who have noted that the flowers provided were not what was asked for.

Sent on 06/08/2015

SW Event Designers's reply:

You did show me photos of the designs you wanted for your reception centerpieces. As your budget did not allow for the amount and types of flowers, the photos were a guideline only. We agreed on a 4” plastic gold bowl for the centerpieces at $30 each. The contract states that the centerpieces would contain white hydrangea, seeded eucalyptus and roses. The photo samples did show peach along with the pink, but nowhere in the contract are peach flowers mentioned. If you wanted peach flowers included, the contract should have reflected that. The "hot pink" roses you claim were added were the same roses used in your bouquet.
    Vases for your bridesmaids' bouquets were given to the caterer setting up the bar prior to the reception who agreed to display them as you requested. I am very sorry that they were not displayed for the bridesmaids’ bouquets.
    The situation with the boutonnieres and corsages is very upsetting and unfortunate. The flowers were delivered to the church at the requested time. A man in his early 30's met my husband inside the church and said he get them to the appropriate parties. A review of your May 24 email does say that your fiancé would be meeting with the Priest in the sacristy, but I misunderstood that their meeting was to be interrupted and the flowers taken there. Please accept my assurance that they were delivered to the church and my apology that they were not delivered by this gentleman.
    Your father did contact me the week after your wedding to discuss this situation. I proposed cancelling the invoice for the remaining $38 owed for a last minute addition and he seemed agreeable. As I did make all of the requested boutonnieres and corsages, I felt that this was an appropriate solution.

The roses in your bouquet, were approved by you. The particular rose, Esperance, is a pink rose with touches of green on the outer petals. The flowers were not brown; the color you saw was the natural color of the rose.
  • Diana

Diana · Married on 05/17/2014

1.2
      0.5

Where do I even start! I would just say stay away from this place if you want a reliable and professional vendor. From the very beginning Susan was not pleasant to work with. Apparently we should have had our entire flower design planned out when we first signed the contract. She gets very annoyed when you make changes to the design/contract, and wanted to charge us for a second meeting even after she had told me via email that additional meetings were not a problem. But all that wouldn't have mattered if she had provided what was in the contract on the day of the wedding. The centerpieces were horrendous, absolutely nothing like the sample she made us. The few flowers they had were not the ones we had ordered and they were missing flowers we had specifically asked for in the contract. To make matters worse, when my mom asked her about the missing flowers just before the reception, her response was (in a very rude and annoyed tone) "well they are just not there." And half of my bouquet flowers were already wilted. And the bridesmaids bouquets were tiny. Seems like such a waste of time spent planning the flowers. Yes her prices are really low. They say you get what you pay for, but in this case we didn't even get that! Truly the worst wedding vendor experience for us.

Sent on 05/19/2014

SW Event Designers's reply:

In response to your review, I feel obligated to provide the details in this particular situation, as this is a complete defamation of character and my business. I am sorry you feel as though I was unpleasant to work with and I wish those concerns were brought to my attention before now. Throughout our relationship, there have been several opportunities to share your concerns; 10 different contracts were created in order to provide you what you wanted. My customer service and passion for floral design are traits I pride myself on and ones I do not take lightly. I have built a good reputation for my customer service skills and good designs. I have been in the bridal industry for over 17 years and have formed many long lasting friendships with past clients.

I am truly sorry you were not satisfied with your wedding flowers, as your satisfaction is ultimately my goal. However, what was provided was, indeed, what was in your contract. There were no missing flowers. There were no incorrect flowers.

Although I understand it is your word against mine, I am not annoyed by changes. I encourage my clients to keep the lines of communication open, and value the relationships I have gained with all of my previous clients. I worked with you through 10 different contracts in order to provide what you wanted for your wedding day arrangements. My prices are competitive in order to give people the opportunity to have beautiful flowers on what should be the happiest day of their life, and once again, I do apologize that you do not believe that was the case for you. We also discussed the clause in the contract regarding fees for multiple contracts - which is in all of my contracts - but I also did promise you I would take it out. I removed it after the first contract and you were never charged for multiple contracts. I knew that you were working long distance with your family and gladly made the changes for you.