Smokin Willy Reviews

138 | Purcellville, VA

138 Reviews for Smokin Willy

Everyone at the wedding loved the food! Most people ended up getting a second plate. The employees were on the ball and Tracy would always get back to me in 30 minutes or less when I sent her an email. She went above and beyond by making a schedule for the night so everything went smooth! We will be visiting the store so we can grab a bite to eat and remember the phenomenal food that we got to share with family and friends

Sent on 11/19/2013

Carrie · Married on 09/21/2013

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Smokin' Willy's! Tracey went out of her way to make sure that everything was just like we wanted it, she and her staff were so professional, helpful and did the most amazing job setting up; tearing down and cleaning up! They even left the kitchen in better condition than when they got there. It was so nice to know that we didn't have to worry about anything because Tracey and her staff had it all handled!
    The food was more than amazing! We are getting calls asking us who our caterer was and we are not shy about telling them! We had brisket, chicken, pulled pork, mashed potatoes, grilled veggies, mac n cheese, cornbread and salad. Even one of our close friends who is extremely picky about his BBQ said it was the best that he has had in years!
    Tracey was so helpful and responsive when it came to all the silly and last minute questions that we had, we couldn't have asked for a better person! Her staff did such a great job, they looked and acted professional, the bartender was perfect and they went out of their way for us and our guests!
    I would definitely recommend Smokin' Willy's/Deli South to anyone having an event, not just a wedding. Working with Tracey made everything so easy and stress free!

Sent on 10/06/2013

L.a. · Married on 07/13/2013

My husband and I met in Texas, and so we wanted to have a Texas vibe at our wedding, complete with live music, a keg of Shiner beer, and of course, awesome BBQ! Smokin Willy's did an amazing job catering our wedding. Tracey was so accommodating and pleasant to work with, from the beginning til the end. The staff was extremely professional and helpful. Our guests loved the food, especially the brisket, which was very authentic. We would definitely recommend Smokin Willy's for any couple's wedding reception. And until we move back to Texas someday, we'll be going out to eat at Smokin Willy's often to get our BBQ fix!

-B and L

Sent on 07/22/2013

We were looking for a BBQ joint in Loudon County, VA to cater our wedding--I'm a BBQ nut--and Smokin' Willy was the first--and the last place we tried. Their catering operates out of DeliSouth in Leesburg, and they absolutely blew me away. Their brisket was the absolute star of the show--the owner's wife is from Texas-- but the pulled pork, BBQ chicked, collards and mac and cheese were also spectacular. I've travelled all over the country eating BBQ and this was easily the best I've had in Virginia.

So that takes care of the food, but how was the service? First rate!!! Tracey the catering manager is a wonderful person and a true pro. She met with us five or six times, came out to our site twice and had everything under control at all times. On the actual wedding day she was working another event (a possibility we had known about) so Chris the owner ran the show and he was every bit as good. Their waitstaff and bartenders were friendly and professional, and were so good that we didn't need to think about catering for even a second on the wedding day.

We give Smokin' Willy's our enthusiatic, excited, thumbs up, absolutely no reservations recommendation.

Sent on 07/01/2013
  • Ryan Marie

Ryan · Married on 06/15/2013

We highly recommend Smokin Willy for your wedding. Our wedding was low-key and we did bbq style food. The cost was very reasonable. Tracey was amazing to work with and made our day stress-free by having everything in order. Our guests raved about the food - especially the mac & cheese! We highly recommend working with Smokin Willies for your wedding.

Sent on 07/09/2013

Lauren · Married on 06/01/2013

I recently worked with Chris and Tracey at Smokin Willy for a wedding I was planning. I honestly don't know what I would have done without the two of them! When it came to coordinating the details together, Tracey was sure to help out in any way possible and was more than happy to give my clients exactly what they asked for. Prior to the event and on the day of, Chris was a phenomenal right hand man! I was also in the wedding, so it was such a relief to have someone I can trust to finish prepping and overseeing the set up. I really look forward to working with Smokin Willy again. I would very highly recommend them to anyone planning an event, no matter the casualty!

Sent on 06/06/2013

Nicole · Married on 06/01/2013

Smokin' Willy's catering is INCREDIBLE. I can't say enough positive things about them and we absolutely give them our strongest recommendation. We were very fortunate to have excellent vendors for our wedding, but Tracey at Smokin' Willy's takes the cake.

We had our wedding June 2013 at my husband's parents farm with approx 140 people on a 90 degree hot Virginia day.

The food was absolutely delicious. Pulled pork, Mac n' Cheese, sausage stuffed mushrooms just to name a few. . . did I mention the pulled pork??? We received so many compliments from our guests on the food!

They were so easy to work with and very flexible. Tracey was responsive by email and phone, helped us think of every last detail to ensure a smooth catering experience. Working with Tracey felt more like working with a family friend than a vendor. She even visited the property a few months before and the week before the wedding to ensure they understood the lay of the land and would be completely prepared. We really wanted to add many personal touches to our wedding including specific selections for beer/wine. They provided bartenders, set up, break down and everything we needed --- they moved quickly and guests never had to wait in a long line to get a drink. On that note, they set up 4 lines for the buffet and strategically called tables so the lines moved at lightening speed (there's nothing worse than waiting in line for your meal at a wedding!)

BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR DELICIOUS, AFFORDABLE BBQ WITH A VARIETY OF OPTIONS FROM A VENDOR THAT IS A PLEASURE TO WORK WITH. . . . . YOU'VE FOUND YOUR CATERER!

THANK YOU SMOKIN' WILLY!

Sent on 07/28/2013

Becca · Married on 05/25/2013

When my husband and I were first engaged, we were initially overwhelmed by the idea of finding a caterer. We simply could not find a caterer in Northern VA to fit our small budget. I exhausted every option. It's crazy how many people are unwilling to work within a budget less than $10,000. ;) We had a 2pm wedding, so we just wanted light food, not a huge meal. After much frustration, we stumbled upon Smokin' Willy and decided to contact them. Tracey contacted us right away and assured us it would be possible to work within our budget....in fact she went UNDER our budget of $3,000 for about 200 guests! Tracey really found a way to magically make everything work. We received constant compliments on the food during the reception...honestly, you would never know that we spent so little.

In addition to all this awesome food, is Tracey's knowledge and willingness to work with special diets. My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease during our engagement, and Tracey was one of the first people I contacted. She provided me with so much valuable information on the disease and created THE best gluten free food we have ever had for the wedding, specifically for my husband and me!

I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone!

Sent on 07/24/2013

Barbara · Married on 10/06/2012

We absolutely LOVED working with Tracey at Smokin Willy BBQ. She was patient with our endless questions and last minute requests and very flexible with our limited budget. We recently moved to Colorado and had to plan our wedding from a distance. Tracey made our lives easy and took care of everything!

And the food...was AMAZING! Definitely not your average wedding fare. We stuffed our selves silly at the tasting and were super excited to share this experience with our guests. There was an overwhelming positive response from everyone. Our guests raved about the flank steak and went back for thirds! I highly recommend Smokin Willy catering!

Sent on 10/22/2012

Michelle · Married on 10/06/2012

Tracey and Chris did an excellent job with helping us prepare for our daughter's wedding. With less than seven months for planning, Tracey and Chris were easy to work with, patient and gave us great advice on all aspects of the wedding. I really felt that they were invested in making her wedding very special and our lives stress free. The catering and food that Smokin Willy's provided was flawless. Our family and friends are still letting us know how tasty the food was especially for an outdoor wedding. So many were impressed that the meat was cooked right on site and to perfection. The staff stayed on top of everything and were very professional and well organized. We will definitely keep Smokin Willy's on the top of our list for future events and will visit them at both Deli South and Smokin Willy's. THANKS AGAIN Michelle and Tom

Sent on 11/12/2012

Dave · Married on 09/15/2012

AMAZING food! We are so pleased with Smokin' Willy! The food was delicious! They cooked onsite and served pulled pork (overall fav), ribs, grilled chicken and a variety of yummy sides. Everyone raved about the bbq and numerous said, "best wedding food ever!" Tracey was super helpful and was on top of her game- she helped us from the beginning starting with a long email train and an awesome tasting!
    Highly recommended from us!

Sent on 10/15/2012

Mark · Married on 07/21/2012

We had a backyard reception for our daughter and son-in who had gotten married in S. Africa earlier in the year. Smokin Willy did an absolutely fantastic job for us. The qualtiy of service was super from start to finish, very responsive to your requiremnets and really flexible, very easy to work and the VALUE was worth every dollar. We had app. 100 guests and we had a really good variety of grilled meats, fresh veges, corn bread, salads. Everyone commeted on how good the food was, a little know secret is that Smokin Willy also has a deli in Purceville, VA were they do a lot of prep work for the occasion. I would recomend this company to anyone having a party, they can do everythign for you if need be. We did have our own bar tender-but as mentioend they can do that as well. So, if you want great value, service, responsiveness this is the company to check in with. Tracy is great to work with and will make it a special occasion for you and your guests.

Sent on 07/23/2012
  • Rebecca

Rebecca · Married on 07/21/2012

I can't even begin to express how amazing it was to work with Chris and his team at Smokin Willy. I cannot say enough about this company and their good hearted nature backed by amazing service, quality food, very affordable prices and professional staff. I plan corporate events for a living and have to say that their service was impeccable. We were impressed by their flexibility and genuine care for us to have the best event possible. We loved that they grill their meats onsite which smelled amazing and tasted fantastic. Everything was fresh and delicious. We were married July 21st and our guest are still raving about the food and oh my gosh, the cornbread! I also have to give a HUGE thank you to Chris for bringing and setting two tents the night before our wedding. With the forecast looking rather unfortunate for an outside wedding Chris was my hero. I expressed my concern that evening about the weather and he didn’t even hesitate. He brought right over two tents and set them up in the rain for us so we could be under shelter for our reception. I slept ten time better that night. Thanks a million, we could not be any happier!

Sent on 10/12/2012

Katie · Married on 06/23/2012

Amazing. I fed 130 guests for ~$6,000 including tent, chairs, tables, and four different kinds of grilled meats. Everyone raved about the food, service went off without a hitch, and set-up and breakdown were not a problem. Tracey worked with us to figure out the menu and logistics, she was responsive, personable, professional, and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend Smokin Willy to anyone wanting delicious BBQ for their event.

Sent on 06/29/2012

Tracey · Married on 06/23/2012

Smokin Willy catered our wedding reception and everyone loved the food! The staff was professional and very accommodating. Tracey Griffith worked with me for almost six months before our wedding to help with pricing, menus, tables, linens, everything we needed to make our wedding reception perfect. Having never hired a caterer, we were unsure how the food would be, but were totally convinced after attending our "private" tasting. It was wonderful. I wish I had another event, just so they could come back and cook for us again!! Everything was done "by the book" and the caterer was able to accommodate any rules dictated by the staff at the venue itself.

Sent on 07/17/2012

Sherry · Married on 05/12/2012

My husband and I had a belated reception in May 2012, six months after eloping. We hired Smokin Willy to cater our party. We could not have been more pleased with EVERYTHING! Chris and Tracey are a great team and helped so much during the planning process. The food was/is amazing. My husband graduated Culinary school and we are both foodies, so we know great food.
    The BBQ was great, including the sides and the appetizers that disappeared quick. The chocolate dipped strawberries were the size of a fist and sweet and juicy. All of guests commented on how delicious ALL of the food was and how nice the staff treated them. We had a variety of grilled items and the pulled pork sandwiches. Amazing- wish I could eat it everyday. There is nothing like having your food grilled right in front of you and all of it; fresh, fresh, fresh- along with friendly folks making sure it gets to you hot, or cold depending on the dish. We also hired a bartender from Smokin Willy and were just as pleased. I am still hearing compliments from guests on the food and hospitality- Win Win!!
    We will definitely hire Smokin Willy again and again. They are great for any event- from company picnic to wedding reception, and anything in between. We highly recommend them. There is no question who is the best; Smokin Willy.

Thanks so much to the Smokin Willy team.

Sherry and Mike Mutschall

Sent on 05/27/2012

Jess · Married on 11/05/2011

Chris and his team are just incredible. They catered our 200 person wedding last month and people are still talking to me about the BBQ. The service was really friendly, obviously everything was delicious, and through the whole process they worked to get us exactly what we wanted. They were responsive, know their stuff, and no matter how big the job, they were able to execute. I plan to use them for every catered event for the rest of my life. Not even kidding.

Sent on 12/07/2011

April · Married on 10/22/2011

Chris and his crew were a hit at our wedding. People keep raving about the BBQ chicken ;oP Seriously though...
    I had a real difficult time dealing with vendors for the wedding. Chris was the ONLY person who always got back to me in a timely manner and he was honest and up front on everything especially the pricing. I had last minute details that needed to be taken care of and Chris took care of all of them. He is a pleasure to do business with and I look forward to working with him and his crew again...and...again...and...what are you waiting for!!! Give him a call :o) He's the BEST!!!

Sent on 11/07/2011

Kelly · Married on 10/01/2011

Chis and the Smokin' Willy's staff were absolutely amazing at our October wedding. He was more than accommodating and extremely generous at the tasting and right away we knew we had found our caterer. We were unfortunately surprised by downpours the evening of our outdoor wedding, but that didn't slow down the crew and quality of food provided. All our guests raved about how amazing it was and all of my engaged friends have asked for their number! We would recommend Smokin' Willy BBQ 100%

Sent on 11/14/2011

Megan · Married on 10/01/2011

Smokin Willy BBQ went above and beyond!! We had a country chic cookout reception and used Smokin Willy. Chris was great to deal with, very attentive. We were able to go to Deli South, Chris' store, and taste the food before signing the contract (and the food is amazing). Smokin Willy also setup our tents, tables/chairs and lighting, it was better than I imagined ... very very nice work. They are a great company to deal with and you get your moneys worth, do not hesitate to use Smokin Willy BBQ!

Sent on 12/05/2011

Emily · Married on 08/27/2011

I had the pleasure of working with Smokin Willy BBQ catering for my wedding reception and I can't say enough amazing things about them! Despite all my changes in location and guest count, they were very flexible and accommodating. Chris worked with me on all the details and made sure everything was taken care of ahead of time. The day of the event the staff was very attentive and friendly, they were there with what we needed all evening; and considering it was in the middle of Hurricane Irene - they were troopers! It was rainy, windy and just nasty out but we still had our ribs, chicken and pulled pork -and they still had smiles on their faces.

When we went for our tasting months before, the staff was very friendly and they took very good care of us. We tasted everything they had to offer and couldn't stop eating! My now-husband loved the coleslaw, and he could be the pickiest coleslaw eater I've ever seen... We knew they had to be the caterers for our wedding because we wanted delicious food and a fun casual BBQ vibe to go with it - and they delivered! The food was just as delicious the day of the event. The marinated flank steak skewers for appetizers were a hit and everyone was going back to the buffet for seconds and telling us how good the everything was. We were glad we could have a plentiful, delicious dinner. I know I hate going to a wedding and the food is just so-so and no seconds for anyone. Not the case with Smokin Willy! Hot, delicious and good portions!

I would recommend them without a doubt for a wedding or any event you want great food and outstanding service!

Sent on 11/03/2011

Sara · Married on 05/29/2011

Chris and his staff did an amazing job at our wedding reception! At first we were unsure how formal it would look serving BBQ and it turned out to be a great decision! All our guests absolutely loved it! We went with the steak and shrimp skewers for appetizers. For the main courses, we went with the pulled pork, ribs, chicken, and several side items. The roasted veggies are amazing!They even had options for our vegetarian friends. When I saw people going back for seconds and thirds we knew we picked the best place!
    In addition to the food and nice decor, the staff was very helpful! From ordering our food to cleaning everything up, they made it seem effortless.
    As stressed as I was about my big day, Smokin Willy's was the easiest part about it! Thanks Chris!!

Sent on 09/06/2011

Melanie · Married on 04/02/2011

We had a great experience with Smokin Willy BBQ, from the food to the staff. As soon as we sat down for our tasting, we knew we would choose them as our caterer. They provided a spread of amazing food for us to try, and they were very generous and friendly. They worked with our budget to give us exactly what we wanted on our wedding day--top-quality food prepared onsite, dishes, silverware, glassware, bartenders, and everything else we needed. We didn't want pretentious catering food, so Smokin Willy BBQ was the best choice for the feel and taste we were going for. Everyone at the wedding raved about how great the food was and said they'd never been to a wedding with such great food. I was so proud to hear that! I really can't say enough good things about Smokin Willy BBQ!

Sent on 11/08/2011

Heidi · Married on 10/09/2010

If you are looking for the best, go with Smokin Willy! We could not have been happier when Smokin Willy catered a reception party for us after we returned from our destination wedding. We loved everything about the food and service we received from Chris and his team. They set up a big tent and lights, with tables, chairs and all the linens. Everything looked beautiful and gave it a magical feel. The food was fantastic, and we had multiple people call us after the party asking where they could go to get more of the fantastic barbeque. Chris was so nice to work with, always responding to our questions immediately, and taking care of all the small details we did not even think of. His staff was very professional and went above and beyond to make sure everyone was happy. I will definitely use them again and recommended them to anyone I know looking for a caterer. Simply excellent!!

Sent on 03/06/2012

Adam · Married on 08/08/2010

Smokin' Willy catered my wedding on August 8th 2010 and we couldn't have been happier. Although Smokin' Willy is known for their BBQ style events, they really offer quite a diversified menu and went above and beyond a classic BBQ! We had the Carribean Chicken, Shrimp Skewers, and Steak as our entree. Everything was served hot and fresh off the grill but the staff had our 100 guests fed quickly and efficiently. Chris was very helpful with visiting the site we were having our wedding at, measuring and offering options for his full service rentals. The tiki bar was my favorite and helped us come up with our theme to decorate the tent and tables. Not only was the food and service great, but their pricing was very competitive and we felt like we had more quality and quantity for less that what other caterers had offered. Flexibility was key for us in choosing a caterer- working with someone who was easy going and willing to work with our wants and needs, Chris and Tracey were open to our suggestions and willing to customize our event to our specifications which not everyone out there will do, so thanks again Smokin' Willy! We look forward to using you again in the near future!

Sent on 11/09/2011