Smokin Willy Reviews

Smokin Willy 3
Smokin Willy 4
Smokin Willy 5

Mark · Married on 07/21/2012

We had a backyard reception for our daughter and son-in who had gotten married in S. Africa earlier in the year. Smokin Willy did an absolutely fantastic job for us. The qualtiy of service was super from start to finish, very responsive to your requiremnets and really flexible, very easy to work and the VALUE was worth every dollar. We had app. 100 guests and we had a really good variety of grilled meats, fresh veges, corn bread, salads. Everyone commeted on how good the food was, a little know secret is that Smokin Willy also has a deli in Purceville, VA were they do a lot of prep work for the occasion. I would recomend this company to anyone having a party, they can do everythign for you if need be. We did have our own bar tender-but as mentioend they can do that as well. So, if you want great value, service, responsiveness this is the company to check in with. Tracy is great to work with and will make it a special occasion for you and your guests.

Sent on 07/23/2012
  • Rebecca

Rebecca · Married on 07/21/2012

I can't even begin to express how amazing it was to work with Chris and his team at Smokin Willy. I cannot say enough about this company and their good hearted nature backed by amazing service, quality food, very affordable prices and professional staff. I plan corporate events for a living and have to say that their service was impeccable. We were impressed by their flexibility and genuine care for us to have the best event possible. We loved that they grill their meats onsite which smelled amazing and tasted fantastic. Everything was fresh and delicious. We were married July 21st and our guest are still raving about the food and oh my gosh, the cornbread! I also have to give a HUGE thank you to Chris for bringing and setting two tents the night before our wedding. With the forecast looking rather unfortunate for an outside wedding Chris was my hero. I expressed my concern that evening about the weather and he didn’t even hesitate. He brought right over two tents and set them up in the rain for us so we could be under shelter for our reception. I slept ten time better that night. Thanks a million, we could not be any happier!

Sent on 10/12/2012

Katie · Married on 06/23/2012

Amazing. I fed 130 guests for ~$6,000 including tent, chairs, tables, and four different kinds of grilled meats. Everyone raved about the food, service went off without a hitch, and set-up and breakdown were not a problem. Tracey worked with us to figure out the menu and logistics, she was responsive, personable, professional, and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend Smokin Willy to anyone wanting delicious BBQ for their event.

Sent on 06/29/2012

Tracey · Married on 06/23/2012

Smokin Willy catered our wedding reception and everyone loved the food! The staff was professional and very accommodating. Tracey Griffith worked with me for almost six months before our wedding to help with pricing, menus, tables, linens, everything we needed to make our wedding reception perfect. Having never hired a caterer, we were unsure how the food would be, but were totally convinced after attending our "private" tasting. It was wonderful. I wish I had another event, just so they could come back and cook for us again!! Everything was done "by the book" and the caterer was able to accommodate any rules dictated by the staff at the venue itself.

Sent on 07/17/2012

Sherry · Married on 05/12/2012

My husband and I had a belated reception in May 2012, six months after eloping. We hired Smokin Willy to cater our party. We could not have been more pleased with EVERYTHING! Chris and Tracey are a great team and helped so much during the planning process. The food was/is amazing. My husband graduated Culinary school and we are both foodies, so we know great food.
    The BBQ was great, including the sides and the appetizers that disappeared quick. The chocolate dipped strawberries were the size of a fist and sweet and juicy. All of guests commented on how delicious ALL of the food was and how nice the staff treated them. We had a variety of grilled items and the pulled pork sandwiches. Amazing- wish I could eat it everyday. There is nothing like having your food grilled right in front of you and all of it; fresh, fresh, fresh- along with friendly folks making sure it gets to you hot, or cold depending on the dish. We also hired a bartender from Smokin Willy and were just as pleased. I am still hearing compliments from guests on the food and hospitality- Win Win!!
    We will definitely hire Smokin Willy again and again. They are great for any event- from company picnic to wedding reception, and anything in between. We highly recommend them. There is no question who is the best; Smokin Willy.

Thanks so much to the Smokin Willy team.

Sherry and Mike Mutschall

Sent on 05/27/2012

Jess · Married on 11/05/2011

Chris and his team are just incredible. They catered our 200 person wedding last month and people are still talking to me about the BBQ. The service was really friendly, obviously everything was delicious, and through the whole process they worked to get us exactly what we wanted. They were responsive, know their stuff, and no matter how big the job, they were able to execute. I plan to use them for every catered event for the rest of my life. Not even kidding.

Sent on 12/07/2011

April · Married on 10/22/2011

Chris and his crew were a hit at our wedding. People keep raving about the BBQ chicken ;oP Seriously though...
    I had a real difficult time dealing with vendors for the wedding. Chris was the ONLY person who always got back to me in a timely manner and he was honest and up front on everything especially the pricing. I had last minute details that needed to be taken care of and Chris took care of all of them. He is a pleasure to do business with and I look forward to working with him and his crew again...and...again...and...what are you waiting for!!! Give him a call :o) He's the BEST!!!

Sent on 11/07/2011

Kelly · Married on 10/01/2011

Chis and the Smokin' Willy's staff were absolutely amazing at our October wedding. He was more than accommodating and extremely generous at the tasting and right away we knew we had found our caterer. We were unfortunately surprised by downpours the evening of our outdoor wedding, but that didn't slow down the crew and quality of food provided. All our guests raved about how amazing it was and all of my engaged friends have asked for their number! We would recommend Smokin' Willy BBQ 100%

Sent on 11/14/2011

Megan · Married on 10/01/2011

Smokin Willy BBQ went above and beyond!! We had a country chic cookout reception and used Smokin Willy. Chris was great to deal with, very attentive. We were able to go to Deli South, Chris' store, and taste the food before signing the contract (and the food is amazing). Smokin Willy also setup our tents, tables/chairs and lighting, it was better than I imagined ... very very nice work. They are a great company to deal with and you get your moneys worth, do not hesitate to use Smokin Willy BBQ!

Sent on 12/05/2011

Emily · Married on 08/27/2011

I had the pleasure of working with Smokin Willy BBQ catering for my wedding reception and I can't say enough amazing things about them! Despite all my changes in location and guest count, they were very flexible and accommodating. Chris worked with me on all the details and made sure everything was taken care of ahead of time. The day of the event the staff was very attentive and friendly, they were there with what we needed all evening; and considering it was in the middle of Hurricane Irene - they were troopers! It was rainy, windy and just nasty out but we still had our ribs, chicken and pulled pork -and they still had smiles on their faces.

When we went for our tasting months before, the staff was very friendly and they took very good care of us. We tasted everything they had to offer and couldn't stop eating! My now-husband loved the coleslaw, and he could be the pickiest coleslaw eater I've ever seen... We knew they had to be the caterers for our wedding because we wanted delicious food and a fun casual BBQ vibe to go with it - and they delivered! The food was just as delicious the day of the event. The marinated flank steak skewers for appetizers were a hit and everyone was going back to the buffet for seconds and telling us how good the everything was. We were glad we could have a plentiful, delicious dinner. I know I hate going to a wedding and the food is just so-so and no seconds for anyone. Not the case with Smokin Willy! Hot, delicious and good portions!

I would recommend them without a doubt for a wedding or any event you want great food and outstanding service!

Sent on 11/03/2011

Sara · Married on 05/29/2011

Chris and his staff did an amazing job at our wedding reception! At first we were unsure how formal it would look serving BBQ and it turned out to be a great decision! All our guests absolutely loved it! We went with the steak and shrimp skewers for appetizers. For the main courses, we went with the pulled pork, ribs, chicken, and several side items. The roasted veggies are amazing!They even had options for our vegetarian friends. When I saw people going back for seconds and thirds we knew we picked the best place!
    In addition to the food and nice decor, the staff was very helpful! From ordering our food to cleaning everything up, they made it seem effortless.
    As stressed as I was about my big day, Smokin Willy's was the easiest part about it! Thanks Chris!!

Sent on 09/06/2011

Melanie · Married on 04/02/2011

We had a great experience with Smokin Willy BBQ, from the food to the staff. As soon as we sat down for our tasting, we knew we would choose them as our caterer. They provided a spread of amazing food for us to try, and they were very generous and friendly. They worked with our budget to give us exactly what we wanted on our wedding day--top-quality food prepared onsite, dishes, silverware, glassware, bartenders, and everything else we needed. We didn't want pretentious catering food, so Smokin Willy BBQ was the best choice for the feel and taste we were going for. Everyone at the wedding raved about how great the food was and said they'd never been to a wedding with such great food. I was so proud to hear that! I really can't say enough good things about Smokin Willy BBQ!

Sent on 11/08/2011

Heidi · Married on 10/09/2010

If you are looking for the best, go with Smokin Willy! We could not have been happier when Smokin Willy catered a reception party for us after we returned from our destination wedding. We loved everything about the food and service we received from Chris and his team. They set up a big tent and lights, with tables, chairs and all the linens. Everything looked beautiful and gave it a magical feel. The food was fantastic, and we had multiple people call us after the party asking where they could go to get more of the fantastic barbeque. Chris was so nice to work with, always responding to our questions immediately, and taking care of all the small details we did not even think of. His staff was very professional and went above and beyond to make sure everyone was happy. I will definitely use them again and recommended them to anyone I know looking for a caterer. Simply excellent!!

Sent on 03/06/2012

Adam · Married on 08/08/2010

Smokin' Willy catered my wedding on August 8th 2010 and we couldn't have been happier. Although Smokin' Willy is known for their BBQ style events, they really offer quite a diversified menu and went above and beyond a classic BBQ! We had the Carribean Chicken, Shrimp Skewers, and Steak as our entree. Everything was served hot and fresh off the grill but the staff had our 100 guests fed quickly and efficiently. Chris was very helpful with visiting the site we were having our wedding at, measuring and offering options for his full service rentals. The tiki bar was my favorite and helped us come up with our theme to decorate the tent and tables. Not only was the food and service great, but their pricing was very competitive and we felt like we had more quality and quantity for less that what other caterers had offered. Flexibility was key for us in choosing a caterer- working with someone who was easy going and willing to work with our wants and needs, Chris and Tracey were open to our suggestions and willing to customize our event to our specifications which not everyone out there will do, so thanks again Smokin' Willy! We look forward to using you again in the near future!

Sent on 11/09/2011

Shannon · Married on 04/19/2008

Smokin Willy catered my wedding in 2008 and did a antastic job! Everyone loved the food and said how much fun it was to do something different than "wedding food". Even though we wanted a different type of food, we still wanted it to be special and somewhat formal for our wedding. We had Pork BBQ, Ribs and Chicken. Everything was done on site and was presented fresh and hot! The smell of the food cooking on the grill had everyone excited and the food was incredible! Chris and his staff were absolute professionals and treated my guests as if they were royalty! Smokin Willy made my day great and I have recommended him to all of my friends and family since. I have been to other event that he has done as a result and they turn out beautifully each time!

Sent on 09/05/2011

Ashley · Married on 09/23/2017

Smokin' Willy was amazing to work with and here's why... My new husband and I are work-oholics (in the Medical field) on top of me going to grad school at Georgetown University (not cheap) while planning our wedding... so it's easy to say we were strapped for cash and time, while being stressed to the max! I think we even may have missed a payment at one point :( But Smokin' Willy was so understanding and sent a very nice payment reminder (we weren't crazy late and I wouldn't suggest missing payments because it's in their contract not to be late w/ payments!) and so great to work with, it really helped relieve the stress as catering is one of the biggest aspects of wedding planning. We had a signature drink that their bartenders made better than we ever could've imagined! They offer set-up, tear-down, and clean-up...even of rentals that aren't theirs... I mean, c'mon! That's unreal around here! You usually have to hire someone else to do those things! They worked diligently throughout the cocktail hour and reception to make everything perfect! They literally waited on us hand and foot! I didn't catch her name, but one of the waitresses was so attentive of me and my husband - food or drink, she was on top of it- which was nice since we didn't get much time to do either since we spent most of time w/ family and friends. Chris, the owner, is truly the man! The whole team was so professional. We even got some money back because our numbers changed at the last minute... You aren't going to find this level of professionalism, service, and yumminess for this price in NoVa anywhere else. FYI ~ We had family up from Houston, Tx who said their brisket is comparable to what they experience back in Texas...so if you like your BBQ/red meat like we do, that's a big deal!!!! Thank you again to the whole Smokin' Willy family. You guys were great and were a pivotal part of why are reception was so lovely!

Smokin Willy 6
    Smokin Willy 7
    Smokin Willy 8
    Sent on 09/28/2017

Tom · Married on 09/16/2017

Cris, Ashley, and the whole gang at Smokin Willy went above and beyond for our wedding! From the moment we contacted them, they were extremely helpful, polite, and reassuring. They answered all of our questions and made us feel very comfortable - almost like we were part of their family during the planning process. On wedding day, they did an awesome job setting up our venue just like we imagined. We actually started running low on alcohol during the reception and Cris promptly ran out and secured extra booze for us, seamlessly saving the day! We are so glad we went with Smokin Willy.

Sent on 11/07/2017

Chris and his team are amazing! Over the spring/summer, they catered three different wedding events for us at three different venues with three different menus and definitely did not disappoint. Beginning with the tasting (yum!), Chris was friendly, dependable, and thorough. With his experience, he even thought of things we had not, thus making sure we had “all our bases covered” and on the day of the event, we knew that the catering was one thing we didn’t have to worry about. Our guests were very complimentary about both the food and the friendliness of his staff, some even saying it was the best wedding food they’d ever had. We recommend Smokin Willy’s without reservation!

Sent on 08/05/2016

Caroline · Married on 06/23/2012

Smokin Willy catered our daughter's wedding at Briar Patch B&B in Middleburg. Chris and his crew set up a 20x20 grilling and buffet tent the night before the wedding, which started the excitement with rehearsal guests about what was to come! Smokin Willy staff arrived early the day of the wedding and took charge immediately setting the tables and assembling the bar area. We were completely confident that Chris and his staff would have everything organized and ready to serve at the right time, which was nice because there was no fretting or worrying.

Guests raved about the appetizers (crab cakes, grilled kielbasa, skewered shrimp and cheese platter). The buffet line was nicely organized and food was plentiful, so guests (both adults and teens) returned again and again for more. We served grilled flank steak and chicken with all the sides: baked beans, mac 'n cheese, fruit salad, coleslaw, green salad, corn bread. Everything was delicious. The items guests helped themselves to most were mac 'n cheese and corn bread!

After the guests left, Chris and crew put all leftovers in nice containers in the fridge and cleaned up. The kitchen looked better than before the whole weekend started.

We would definitely recommend Smokin Willy BBQ to anyone tired of boring wedding food who wants food that really satisfies and tastes GREAT.

Sent on 06/26/2012
  • Caro

Caro · Married on 10/13/2019

Amazing Team

We are so glad we chose Smokin Willy as our caterers! They are professional, kind, friendly, helpful, and incredibly responsive. Ashley, our coordinator who we worked with for over six months, was absolutely amazing - she is the kindest and most patient person, who has years of experience hosting events, so helped us with everything from the menu to how much food to order. Ashley also provided great advice for the wedding as a whole, including recommendations for the timeline, decorations and set-up for the venue.

Then our day of staff, Atomic and Chris in particular, were just incredible. Smokin Willy staff took care to help set up and break down the venue. Atomic and his cooking team made delicious food that all our friends and families raved about (we really recommend the carne asada and the grilled mushrooms.) Chris and his team had the friendliest staff - the serving staff and bartenders were eager to make our guests comfortable and make the event a success. They also left the venue perfectly clean, which made wrapping up the event very smooth. We cannot recommend them highly enough.

Sent on 10/26/2019

I am SO glad we chose Smok'n Willy's to be our caterer. Our guests absolutely LOVED their food, service and over presence at our wedding.

We did a tasting at their restaurant and met with Chris to discuss the details. After many email exchanges we finally nailed down a menu and deposit. A word of advice when tracking comms with them, keep all of your emails and attachment. We occasionally found a few mistakes in the quote which affected the pricing and upon notification to Chris they were straightened out with no issues.

The day of the wedding they arrived early and set up quickly. They were able to accommodate our Chinese Tea Ceremony (we provided Tea and the Tea Set) and a cake from a different Vendor. I was a bit freaked out the day of because I forgot to leave detailed instructions for the cake and other reception set up, however Jan with the consultation of my family members made very good judgement calls and had the reception set up perfectly.

Now the food, nothing short of fresh, delicious and amazing! I got SO many compliments on their food. Everything was prepared fresh off the grill and served immediately. I had reports of people rushing to get seconds because they closed down the buffet line and other newly weds had commented that Smok'n Willy's was way better than their caterer hands down.

If you get a Keg, plan on having a bucket and tap ready to use after they leave. You won't be able to keep their tap & bucket after they depart.

Overall.... for the price, service and great tasting food you'd be crazy to NOT consider these guys for your caterer.

Sent on 05/10/2016

Michelle · Married on 08/27/2016

3.0

Cris and his team did a fabulous job for our wedding! Smokin' Willy had catered many events at our venue and this left us feeling confident in their ability to deliver the BBQ my now husband desired for our wedding. After going in for a tasting we both knew they were just what we wanted. Cris worked with us on our menu to ensure we had everything we wanted. He worked well with the other vendors we hired as well. Though he was not always quick to respond to email I knew I didn't need to worry as everyone was so flexible.

Sent on 08/28/2016

Matt · Married on 06/28/2014

3.5

It was a pleasure to work with Tracey and her catering team at Smokin Willy for our wedding. They provided both the cocktail hour and reception food, and bartending services, as well as some in-house rental services including tables, drink bins, ceremony chairs, silverware and dishes, glasses, etc. Minus a few tables and linens, it was nearly a one-stop shop for our catering/rental needs! In terms of the quality and service of the food, 4 months later, many of our guests randomly bring up the food at our wedding- seriously, it's hilarious. We were looking for value, but at the same time we wanted food that reflected our personalities, experiences, interests, and tastes and that's exactly what our menu did. It's not just barbeque either, there are plenty of unique options for all taste buds! With that said, barbeque is their specialty, so why not let them show their expertise! Our wedding took place in June, so it was busy season. With that said, we had a few moments of stress when communication was lacking a bit, but all's well that ends well. Stay persistent and flexible and Tracey and team will come through for you, like they did for us. The food is incredible and the price is right. Smokin Willy truly enhanced our wedding day like we hoped a caterer would!

Sent on 10/13/2014

Smokin Willy's was wonderful to work with. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. Chris and Tracey were professional and easy to work with. I would like to see them respond to my emails in a more timely fashion but realize they are a small company and very busy. I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

Sent on 06/15/2013

Katherine · Married on 06/02/2012

3.6
      2.5
      3.5

Overall, Smokin Willy's BBQ was good. The food was delicious and all of the guests raved about it. In the months before the wedding, their response time was a little slow and it was hard to get some answers to questions as they were in the process of opening a new restaurant. As we got closer to the wedding though, they really picked it up and everything went smoothly. My husband and his brothers set up the tables and chair and the rental equipment provided by Smokin Willy's on the day of the wedding due to weather the day before and lack of staff the morning of which was a little stressful but other than that, everything was great.

Sent on 06/06/2012