Smokin Willy Reviews

135 | Purcellville, VA

135 Reviews for Smokin Willy

Stephanie Miniello · Married on 10/24/2020

Great food

The food was amazing and the staff was excellent. They were a pleasure to work with. Couldn’t ask for a better catering company would definitely use them again.

Sent on 10/26/2020
  • Joe

Joe Chlanda · Married on 10/18/2020

WOW just WOW - 4 days to plan for a 58 person wedding

First I just want to say WOW we had our wedding this past Sunday, October 18th, 2020; and everything was absolutely AMAZING. I 100% have already recommended them to literally everyone I know.

Now let's get to the nitty-gritty! We found out our wedding caterer went out of business on Tuesday afternoon (our wedding was on Sunday) we immediately began calling other vendors to see availability, only a couple of caterers were actually available on such short notice. Smokin Willy did not originally have the staff to work our event on such short notice, however, after hearing our story Chris the owner was able to work with a couple of other restaurants in the area and was able to work our event. We literally had a 1-hour planning call with him at 10 pm on Tuesday night.

The very next day we had another 1-hour final planning call with our wedding planner and their event planner everything went smoothly and we were excited about our wedding again!

Fast forward (just 4 days) to Sunday the 18th our wedding day and I was absolutely astounded for only 4 days notice, the staff was amazing, the food was amazing, the service was amazing; Chris himself was there for at least some of the night if not all of it! Everyone couldn't believe how delicious everything was and they absolutely loved how we had everything plated. We did "family style" but plated so everybody got a little bit of everything!

They made sure the bride and groom got appetizers while we were taking photos and let me tell you those bacon-wrapped scallops are something to die for! They also made sure that during dinner we got our plates towards the beginning of service.

This review can only do so much, all I can tell you is I highly recommend them, and if you are on the fence on them just hire them! If they can handle an event in 4 days and make my Italian family happy they can make anyone happy!

Thank you again Chris/Ashley and the whole Smokin Willy team that made my event such a success, we are so appreciative of you guys coming in, at the last minute and saving our wedding.

Love,
    Joe + Katherine 10.18.2020

Sent on 10/21/2020
  • Lindsay

Lindsay Gilbert · Married on 09/12/2020

Fantastic, Yummy, Professional

My fiance and I knew we wanted to serve BBQ at our wedding. We didn't want the typical dry chicken breast, mashed potatoes and green beans that is served so often at weddings. We wanted food that we wanted to eat and that our guests would enjoy. We quickly learned during our venue shopping that Smokin Willy was a popular choice in the Leesburg area. We actually stopped by their restaurant one afternoon after touring a venue to have lunch and to test the food out. It was delicious! We knew we wanted Smokin Willy to be our wedding caterer. We started working with Ashley on the catering team. What a joy!! She was so smart, attentive, professional, quick to respond and gave us GREAT advice. She was there with us every step of the way to help guide us through the planning process. We rented our tables, chairs and linens from the SW team. The SW team helped us navigate COVID wedding planning and worked with us when our headcount dropped from 120 to 70. Our team lead, Olivia, was such a rock star! Everything was executed flawlessly. Our guests enjoyed the food and drinks served up by the SW servers and bartenders. Our guests went back for 2nds and 3rds at the buffet!! When does that ever happen at a wedding?? We love you Smokin Willy! Thanks for making our day so special and YUMMY!

Sent on 10/19/2020
  • Iris

Iris Ann Stickley · Married on 07/19/2020

Amazing food and experience!

Smokin Willy was the best choice we could have ever made! Not only was the food fantastic, but their rentals (tent, tables, chairs, etc) were great quality! They cook food on-site so it's extremely fresh! They were extremely understanding when we decided to postpone our wedding. We cannot thank them enough for the smooth transition! Ashley was easy to work with via email and phone. The event staff were all in masks and gloves and taking extra steps to ensure social distancing. My guests are still raving about the people and the food! We ordered brisket, chicken, shrimp, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies and mac & cheese.And the members of our bridal party were super excited when a staff member walked from the tent to where we were taking pictures (quite a walk!) to deliver appetizers (crab cakes, bacon wrapped scallops and caprese skewers) during cocktail hour! We got so much food for the money! Thank you for a wonderful experience!

Sent on 07/21/2020
  • Kara

Kara Santmyer · Married on 06/13/2020

Dream team

Man oh man, do I love Smokin Willy! The food was innnncredible! We had so many guests send us messages afterwards letting us know, which really makes ya feel great! And that is just the beginning of it. Let's ignore COVID for a brief moment here - their contracts are THE BEST.. they allow you to up/down the numbers of guests sooo much more flexibly than any other company we found. The tasting was so much fun, and the people are so so nice and provide fantastic service, from helping with vision and planning, to set up, service, etc. Now, fast forward to COVID, boy am I happy we worked with the sweet people of Smokin Willy! Number one, our wedding/reception got postponed, and they were so sweet to make our second date work out, even though they already had multiple events planned that day already. We are so thankful. And, on top of that, we completely changed our plan - 110 guests down to about 70, formal seated dinner was switched to just passed aps. They were so so so kind to make such drastic changes for us. The list goes on and on of how they helped make our day perfect, but I imagine people got the picture and stopped reading about 5 sentences ago :) Thank you again Smokin Willy team, you're a dream!!

Sent on 09/15/2020
  • Sarah

Sarah Heck · Married on 05/08/2020

The best wedding food ever!

We cannot say enough about this wonderful food! We had Smokin Willy cater our wedding for 60 guests. We were able to choose all of our selections, and they were able to accommodate for our GF guests. We live out of state, and Ashley was wonderful to work with via email. The beef brisket and BBQ were incredible, along with all of the sides! Chris and his team were a pleasure to work with, and we always felt taken care of. They even made sure we had something to eat immediately after the ceremony! Holly was even able to create a delicious GF pineapple upside down cake for our wedding cake. Our guests are still talking about this being the best wedding food they have ever had!

Sent on 12/01/2019
  • Ashley Polk

Ashley%20Polk · Married on 03/27/2020

Fan freakin tastic

AMAZING, INCREDIBLE, FLEXIBLE BEYOND WORDS!!! My experience with Smokin Willy was fan freaking tastic in every way possible! Ashley is so detailed oriented and so, so friendly! They made everything I asked of them happen! And this was not easy stuff people let’s be clear I’m a COVID bride lol! The stuffed pork chop is my personal favorite but you can’t go wrong with any of it honestly. My friends and family could smell the deliciousness in the air as they cooked on site. The food was incredible and fresh and so warm. I can’t thank your team enough for everything you did for us!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Sent on 10/21/2020
  • Rachel

Rachel · Married on 11/16/2019

Buffet BBQ for the win!!

Could not recommend Smokin Willys more!! Their food is fabulous and incredibly fresh (grilled on site!), the price is right, and Ashley their event planner is just a dream. I asked at least 1 million questions, made an additional 1 million requests (including severe dietary restrictions) and was probably a complete pain the butt throughout the planning process but Ashley was always quick to respond, courteous, bouncing around ideas and just generally amazing to work with. As a fellow event industry professional, her communication was above and beyond even my incredibly high expectations. The wait staff and bartenders were wonderful day of and people raved about the food.

We also did all of our rentals through them and they were perfect for our rustic, barn wedding. Wine barrels, tables, chairs, the works! After getting quotes from a lot of rental places, they were also the least expensive. Having rentals and catering through the same company made our lives even easier.

The food and ambiance of your wedding is something that guests really notice and Smokin Willy DELIVERS in BOTH! There is a reason they have 5 stars!

Sent on 12/05/2019
  • tiffany

tiffany · Married on 10/24/2019

Western October Weddin

We hired Smokin Willy for our wedding reception. They did a fabulous job setting up, tearing down, serving pre-reception snacks, drink services, and amazing BBQ. The staff was amazing during the pre-planning phase and during the whole event. We loved the food and the fun we had with Smokin Willys

Sent on 11/18/2019
  • Alex

Alex · Married on 10/05/2019

Smooth from Start to Finish

When we first started planning our wedding, we knew we wanted to have barbecue. Smokin’ Willy was recommended to us by our wedding venue, and it didn’t take us long to figure out why. The food is excellent (their cornbread is amazing!), the staff is so responsive and professional, and they are very reasonably priced. We worked with Ashley from beginning to end, and she could not have been more of a joy to work with. She provided advice and responded to our every question thoroughly and promptly, no matter how frequently or late we asked them (that’s for you ladies who wake up in the middle of the night worrying about wedding details). The peace of mind we got from this is absolutely invaluable. We got all of our rentals from them too, including some ADORABLE wine barrel tables that added so much character and charm to our farm wedding.

On our wedding day, they set up everything to absolute perfection, and I didn’t have to worry about a thing, because I knew we were in excellent hands. Most importantly, the food was incredible, and we were so overjoyed to see so many of our guests going back for seconds. We also requested a signature cocktail, and it came out so good that almost all of our guests were trying it, even those who would ordinarily drink something else. Throughout the cocktail hour and reception, the staff were professional and prompt in clearing away dishes and refilling drinks, and they packed away everything for us at the end of the evening.

Bottom line, we highly recommend Smokin’ Willy to any couple. We loved working with them, and if we had to do it all over again, we wouldn’t change a thing.

Sent on 10/21/2019
  • Danielle

Danielle · Married on 09/28/2019

I wish I could give them 10 Stars!

To say we were happy with our choice to go with Smokin Willy as our wedding caterer and rental service would be an understatement. Smokin Willy was recommended to us by our wedding venue and was everything we could have asked for and more. Chris and Ashley were so easy to work with and extremely attentive. They made sure everything was taken care of and ready to go. The food was out of this world, all of our guests loved it!! We did a plated dinner and all of the staff made sure everything went smoothly and according to plan. All of the waiters and bartenders gave 110%. Smokin Willy helped make our wedding absolutely perfect, would recommend over and over!

Sent on 10/13/2019

Kimberly McCue · Married on 09/21/2019

You can't top this!

Your wedding is something your guests will remember as well as the food!! Smokin Willys was professional from beginning to end. Their food was something all of our guests are still talking about, especially the brisket. The streamline coordination was excellent and they helped package our "leftovers". Yes leftovers! They served enough food so that nothing ran out but not so much that we were eating it for a week. Chris and his team even allowed us to have a personal touch with the "hot pepper bar" and just bade the buffet beautiful.
    Thank you Smokin Willy's for a wonderful wedding!

Sent on 10/07/2019

Kimberly James · Married on 08/18/2019

best caterer!

Smokin Willy exceeded our expectations! They are far more than a caterer. They help set up ceremony site, reception site, cocktail hour site, as well as cook the food on site. And speaking of the food, our guests said it was the best wedding food they've ever had! From the moment we started working with them we knew we had chosen the right caterer!

Sent on 08/31/2019
  • Madison

Madison Kramer · Married on 08/17/2019

10/10 Smokin Willy - Thank you!

Smokin Willy provided awesome food for our wedding reception - the guests raved about how tasty the BBQ was. They were a pleasure to work and plan with from start to finish and their staff really took the lead on executing a perfect reception. Thank you!

Sent on 08/31/2019
  • Marguerite

Marguerite · Married on 08/10/2019

When the caterer outshines the coordinator

I can't say enough good about Smokin Willy's. Some point in the planning process I became determined to have a bbq and they delivered. The food was delicious, hands down. I had numerous guest asking me to send them brisket and green beans the next day. The portions were very generous, enough for seconds, thirds and fourths. We actually had too much food and in hindsight, I may have ordered down but it added nicely to our Sunday family brunch for out of town guests the next day. The best part of my experience was that the on-site event manager Chris, went into action when our day of coordinator was late arriving by nearly and hour. She was not present to check-in and direct any of our vendors which is such a critical part of staying on time. To say she dropped the ball is putting it mildly. Since they cook everything on-site and were responsible for setting up the dining room, this could have made the entire day disastrous. They had never worked out our venue but did not allow her failures to impact the timelines of the service they promised. They figured everything out and made sure that our guests were fed and satisfied. I truly appreciated this. Throughout the planning process, Ashley was attentive and answered the zillion questions I asked. Even when we had a slight misunderstanding because I wanted something they were not familiar with, a simple phone call got us back on track and she was happy to figure out how we could make things work. Great value, great service, and hands down a great choice. My in-laws are already talking about when we can use them again. A big thank you for helping our day not to turn into a disaster when our coordinator did not manage or connect the dots for all of our vendors on the day of.

Sent on 08/22/2019

Leigh Serroka · Married on 07/13/2019

Delicious food and great service

Smokin Willy's were amazing. Ashley was great at keeping us up to date and organized for all of our table and linen needs. Judy and the kitchen staff had the buffet line and food and drinks served so fast, not to mention how much everyone raved about the delicious food.

Sent on 09/02/2019

Rebecca · Married on 06/29/2019

Book them now!

Smokin Willy is THE company to book if you want amazing food at your wedding. I can’t tell you how many guests raved about the meals. From start to finish, Smokin’ Willy was a dream to work with. I coordinated with Ashley, who answered my 8 million questions I had throughout the process. Their prices are extremely reasonable, especially in this area. They did a fantastic job with setup and breakdown, especially when last minute I decided to have my ceremony inside the reception hall. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who is looking for a hardworking, fair-priced, and honest company!

Sent on 07/15/2019

Sadie · Married on 06/01/2019

Amazing team

We worked with Ashley to get everything ordered and she was so easy to work with. We went back and forth several times, and she was able to answer all of my questions and responded in a timely manner. The food was excellent, and the team who worked our wedding was fantastic, friendly, and on top of everything. They helped clean up at the end of the night and were just overall fantastic to work with.

Sent on 07/09/2019
  • songbird

Taylor · Married on 05/25/2019

Love BBQ? Want to eat on your wedding day? DO IT!

The entire Smokin Willy team made the planning and celebrating simple and enjoyable. All of the staff we worked with were friendly and professional throughout the process. We felt 100% confident that our guests would enjoy the BBQ served fresh off the grill on site. All of the food was outstanding, and the Smokin Willy team ensured that we would actually get to sit down and eat whatever we wanted to! These people will make sure that your guests are happy, but they will also make sure that YOU are happy and fed. :) If you have guests with particular dietary needs, Smokin Willy was extremely accommodating and helpful. Thank you, Smokin Willy!

Sent on 06/05/2019
  • Emily

Emily Whiteman and Andrew Goodwin · Married on 05/18/2019

One of the best decisions we made

When we picked BBQ as our food of choice, we knew we were taking a risk on our wedding food choice. We knew that most weddings have the typical chicken, fish, or steak with some fancy sides. Sometimes it buffet or plated. However, because we had a rustic feel to our wedding and we had a pretty diverse group of guests, no better way to make people feel comfortable than good ole BBQ. And it was a hit!!!

The food was good, the brisket was to die for, and so many people loved the greens! Everyone had enough to eat and even the proclaimed vegetarians gave it up for the day. The food was that good, and no better way to get people to relax and want to have a good time than some good BBQ. They know it is not a stuffy environment and yet food that will fill you up.

We decided to do family style and that was one of the best choices we made. People didn’t have to wait for very long for their food and there was enough for 2nds and 3rds.

The staff was also so good. Chris was not a sales person. He made us feel comfortable and we knew he didn’t need our business, but if we went with him we knew he would go the extra mile for us. Ashley kept everything together and changed the menu to our exact needs.

The one thing I will say that they do better than others is that they breakdown the menu by item instead of price per head. We visited other caterers who did price per head and we felt that some of the options were a little bit of a rip off. For example, we do price per head and it didn’t matter if we did a fruit bowl or shrimp scampi as a side, it would be the same. But everyone knows shrimp will cost a lot more than a fruit bowl. Where Smokin Willy separates themselves is that you can custom the menu by item and determine how much of each item you want to make sure the budget fits for you without feeling like the caterer got away with you overpaying.

The last detail is that they cook on site. I can’t tell you how important this is, but just the aroma building during cocktail hour was enough to get everyone in a positive mood. But if they don’t cook on the site, the food will be different than what you had during your tasting. This detail, along with the staff attentiveness, and customized menu is exactly why you should go with this team.

Sent on 06/23/2019
  • Kirsten

Kirsten · Married on 05/11/2019

Amazing Experience and Service

Smokin' Willy was our choice from the beginning. They were the recommendation of our venue and I'm SO GLAD that we went with them. The food, service, etc. was OUTSTANDING. Every person we spoke to during the wedding commented on how good the food was. I honestly feel like the food the day of the event was actually better than when we went in for the tasting. Ashley was super responsive which I appreciated as I had a TON of questions leading up to the event. Chris was there for the duration of our wedding and the night ran so smooth. Everyone was telling us not to worry because something was bound to go wrong at the wedding and I have to say that wasn't the case. The wedding went off without a hitch and I attribute that mostly to the quality of service Chris and Smokin' Willy staff provided. Thank you all SO MUCH! You really made our wedding day the BEST DAY EVER!

Sent on 10/21/2019

Keri · Married on 11/11/2018

So many compliments at our wedding

If you want really high quality food, consider Smokin Willy. They make the best BBQ and so much more. The food was complimented over and over by the guests. They can do family style service, buffet or plated. And for cocktail hour, they did passed appetizers that were awesome. We had so many choices from their catering menu too. Finally, their organization and catering management was amazing. They had excellent service, set up and cleanup. Super professional. And while BBQ seems a casual choice for a wedding, Smokin Willy made all the food elevated, and with beautiful linens, table settings, wonderful bar service, it felt like it was something more from a fine restaurant.

Sent on 11/23/2018
  • Bryon

Bryon · Married on 10/27/2018

Great BBQ and great service!

We had a great experience using Smokin' Willy for our rehearsal dinner. We got TONS of compliments on the taste of the BBQ and sides, the staff members were courteous and attentive, and they helped to make the event a lot of fun. The event planning was easy and the team were responsive. We would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for BBQ for their RD or reception (and look forward to going back to their restaurant ourselves as well!)

Sent on 11/04/2018
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 10/27/2018

You have to book them!!!!

You are crazy if you don't book Smokin Willy! Their food is sooooo good and yet they provide so much more than that. Ashley worked with me for months leading up the wedding, answering all my questions and a million emails. I honestly felt like we were long time friends after the whole thing! Chris and the team spent several hours with me walking through every detail at the venue beforehand and were amazing when we had to scratch our entire plan literally hours before the ceremony. I would book them a million times over.

Sent on 11/20/2018

Tom · Married on 09/15/2018

From Chris the owner all the way through the organization we found everyone to be polite, responsive and very professional. It also didn’t hurt that the food was superb. Communication with Ashley was quick and concise. When the big day arrived the crew onsite was extremely helpful and friendly to everyone. Judy was able to adjust the tent by taking down the sides we had requested because we thought it was going to be a rainy day. Judy was flexible and so very accommodating that although it was a stressful day since I was hosting a party of over 200 people, I never worried about food, drink or clean up. They were a joy to work with from beginning to end . Thank you for making my daughter’s special day even better!

Sent on 09/17/2018