Smokin Willy Reviews

Smokin Willy 6
Smokin Willy 7

Rebecca · Married on 06/29/2019

Book them now!

Smokin Willy is THE company to book if you want amazing food at your wedding. I can’t tell you how many guests raved about the meals. From start to finish, Smokin’ Willy was a dream to work with. I coordinated with Ashley, who answered my 8 million questions I had throughout the process. Their prices are extremely reasonable, especially in this area. They did a fantastic job with setup and breakdown, especially when last minute I decided to have my ceremony inside the reception hall. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who is looking for a hardworking, fair-priced, and honest company!

Sent on 07/15/2019

Sadie · Married on 06/01/2019

Amazing team

We worked with Ashley to get everything ordered and she was so easy to work with. We went back and forth several times, and she was able to answer all of my questions and responded in a timely manner. The food was excellent, and the team who worked our wedding was fantastic, friendly, and on top of everything. They helped clean up at the end of the night and were just overall fantastic to work with.

Sent on 07/09/2019
  • songbird

Taylor · Married on 05/25/2019

Love BBQ? Want to eat on your wedding day? DO IT!

The entire Smokin Willy team made the planning and celebrating simple and enjoyable. All of the staff we worked with were friendly and professional throughout the process. We felt 100% confident that our guests would enjoy the BBQ served fresh off the grill on site. All of the food was outstanding, and the Smokin Willy team ensured that we would actually get to sit down and eat whatever we wanted to! These people will make sure that your guests are happy, but they will also make sure that YOU are happy and fed. :) If you have guests with particular dietary needs, Smokin Willy was extremely accommodating and helpful. Thank you, Smokin Willy!

Sent on 06/05/2019
  • Emily

Emily Whiteman and Andrew Goodwin · Married on 05/18/2019

One of the best decisions we made

When we picked BBQ as our food of choice, we knew we were taking a risk on our wedding food choice. We knew that most weddings have the typical chicken, fish, or steak with some fancy sides. Sometimes it buffet or plated. However, because we had a rustic feel to our wedding and we had a pretty diverse group of guests, no better way to make people feel comfortable than good ole BBQ. And it was a hit!!!

The food was good, the brisket was to die for, and so many people loved the greens! Everyone had enough to eat and even the proclaimed vegetarians gave it up for the day. The food was that good, and no better way to get people to relax and want to have a good time than some good BBQ. They know it is not a stuffy environment and yet food that will fill you up.

We decided to do family style and that was one of the best choices we made. People didn’t have to wait for very long for their food and there was enough for 2nds and 3rds.

The staff was also so good. Chris was not a sales person. He made us feel comfortable and we knew he didn’t need our business, but if we went with him we knew he would go the extra mile for us. Ashley kept everything together and changed the menu to our exact needs.

The one thing I will say that they do better than others is that they breakdown the menu by item instead of price per head. We visited other caterers who did price per head and we felt that some of the options were a little bit of a rip off. For example, we do price per head and it didn’t matter if we did a fruit bowl or shrimp scampi as a side, it would be the same. But everyone knows shrimp will cost a lot more than a fruit bowl. Where Smokin Willy separates themselves is that you can custom the menu by item and determine how much of each item you want to make sure the budget fits for you without feeling like the caterer got away with you overpaying.

The last detail is that they cook on site. I can’t tell you how important this is, but just the aroma building during cocktail hour was enough to get everyone in a positive mood. But if they don’t cook on the site, the food will be different than what you had during your tasting. This detail, along with the staff attentiveness, and customized menu is exactly why you should go with this team.

Sent on 06/23/2019

Keri · Married on 11/11/2018

So many compliments at our wedding

If you want really high quality food, consider Smokin Willy. They make the best BBQ and so much more. The food was complimented over and over by the guests. They can do family style service, buffet or plated. And for cocktail hour, they did passed appetizers that were awesome. We had so many choices from their catering menu too. Finally, their organization and catering management was amazing. They had excellent service, set up and cleanup. Super professional. And while BBQ seems a casual choice for a wedding, Smokin Willy made all the food elevated, and with beautiful linens, table settings, wonderful bar service, it felt like it was something more from a fine restaurant.

Sent on 11/23/2018
  • Bryon

Bryon · Married on 10/27/2018

Great BBQ and great service!

We had a great experience using Smokin' Willy for our rehearsal dinner. We got TONS of compliments on the taste of the BBQ and sides, the staff members were courteous and attentive, and they helped to make the event a lot of fun. The event planning was easy and the team were responsive. We would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for BBQ for their RD or reception (and look forward to going back to their restaurant ourselves as well!)

Sent on 11/04/2018
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 10/27/2018

You have to book them!!!!

You are crazy if you don't book Smokin Willy! Their food is sooooo good and yet they provide so much more than that. Ashley worked with me for months leading up the wedding, answering all my questions and a million emails. I honestly felt like we were long time friends after the whole thing! Chris and the team spent several hours with me walking through every detail at the venue beforehand and were amazing when we had to scratch our entire plan literally hours before the ceremony. I would book them a million times over.

Sent on 11/20/2018

Tom · Married on 09/15/2018

From Chris the owner all the way through the organization we found everyone to be polite, responsive and very professional. It also didn’t hurt that the food was superb. Communication with Ashley was quick and concise. When the big day arrived the crew onsite was extremely helpful and friendly to everyone. Judy was able to adjust the tent by taking down the sides we had requested because we thought it was going to be a rainy day. Judy was flexible and so very accommodating that although it was a stressful day since I was hosting a party of over 200 people, I never worried about food, drink or clean up. They were a joy to work with from beginning to end . Thank you for making my daughter’s special day even better!

Sent on 09/17/2018
  • O

Olivia · Married on 09/15/2018

Fantastic food and staff

I wouldn't recommend anyone else. Smokin Willy and their staff is amazing at what they do! They work hard to make sure the venue is set up perfect. Such a very friendly group that know what they are doing. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 10/18/2018

Liv · Married on 09/01/2018

We used Smokin Willy for the catering at our recent wedding at The Barns at Hamilton Station. First and foremost, their food is amazing! Everything we had (and everything we sampled prior to deciding) was amazing! They were highly recommended by our venue and we were able to meet them and sample their food at a wedding expo shortly after getting engaged. We knew immediately that we wanted to work with them. From the very beginning, they were professional and highly responsive to any and all questions we had! When we met with their staff during the tasting, they were friendly, professional, and completely flexible with what we wanted to create. You can not go wrong if you choose to work with them!!! Everyone raved about their food and I would choose them all over again if I could!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Sent on 09/25/2018

Lisa · Married on 06/23/2018

The team at Smokin Willy was absolutely wonderful to work with! They were responsive, answered a thousand questions beforehand, and reasonably priced for amazing food! They were flexible when it came to rain back-up plans (which they had to speedily implement!) and no one was the wiser for all the scrambling they did. Everyone raved about the food! I would highly recommend them!

Sent on 07/03/2018

Corinne · Married on 06/15/2018

The team at Smokin Willy did a great job working to make our vision for our wedding a reality since day one! The food and day of service they provided for us was fantastic and our guests were raving all night!

Sent on 06/18/2018
    Smokin Willy 8

Kate · Married on 06/15/2018

Great food and great service!!

Chris at Smokin Willy is great! My dad has worked with him over the years, and recommended him to my now husband and I. We went out for a tasting where Chris sat down with us and walked us through all the food and all of the services his team provides. We went with them because the food was tasty and we were so confident he would deliver a great experience!

All of the food is cooked on site, so it's super fresh and delicious!

The wait staff was great as well - they were both our bartenders and waiters and were absolutely wonderful!

At our venue, we were able to bring in our own alcohol, and the Smokin Willy team helped us get our quantities right for both alcohol and mixers!

They even packed up our leftovers at the end of the night in a cooler which made for a great snack after the after party! :)

Chris and his team helped every step of the way and truly helped deliver a great night! They were always willing to help too - even if wasn't in their lane - they are just so committed to making sure you have a great day that they go above and beyond - it was a great experience!

Thank you Chris and Smokin Willy!!

Sent on 05/14/2019

Kimberly · Married on 06/02/2018

I cannot recommend Smoking Willy's catering highly enough. Cris and his team were AMAZING from start to finish. On our wedding day, it poured rain all afternoon, and our tented reception area turned into a MUDPIT. Despite the terrible weather and inches of mud and rain, Smoking Willy's arrived on time (when many other vendors did not) and with a great attitude. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was even better. The guests are still raving about how wonderful everything was and what a great job they did. Cris and his crew stayed at our house until 2:30 in the morning making sure everything was cleaned up and hauled away correctly. Don't hesitate, book Cris and Smoking Willy's for your event today!

Sent on 08/01/2018

Hillary · Married on 05/26/2018

Booking Smokin Willy was one of the best decisions I made during my wedding planning process. Chris was a joy to work with. My wedding reception was at a barn with two giant chandeliers, so I wanted the food to match that sense of casual elegance. We opted for BBQ (casual) and the quality of the food really elevated the meal to an elegant upscale dinner. We went with the grilled mesquite chicken, grilled ribeye steak, grilled mahi mahi, veggies, mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese. We also had a plated salads and passed appetizers during the cocktail hour. We are big foodies (both me and my husband come from huge Italian families) and ALL of my guests RAVED about our food - especially the mac and cheese. We served our dinner family style, and Chris managed bring everything out nice and hot and in a quick and timely manner. Everything was cooked to perfection and I have zero complaints. My sister even asked them to box up some steak and mac and cheese for my husband and I to eat that night because we liked it that much! Haha!

Not only was Chris amazing about food - he also helped us out with a ton of other things. We got most all of our rentals through him. He has some beautiful farm tables, as well as some big wine barrel cocktail tables that we used outside. We also rented a few bars to bring into the venue which were very cool. All plates, linens, glassware, and silverware were also secured through him so he really is a one stop shop - score!

As if great food and great rentals weren't enough, Chris and his team also provided amazing service. They set up all the tables and place settings for the event, manned the bar, served 27 tables family style, passed appetizers during cocktail hours, and smiled the whole time. I really felt like the whole team were more guests at my wedding because there were all so nice and pleasant.

It's clear that the folks at Smokin Willy know their way around a grill AND a wedding. 10/10 would recommend.

Sent on 06/18/2018
    Smokin Willy 9
    Smokin Willy 10
    Smokin Willy 11
  • Jane

Jane · Married on 05/26/2018

great food and great staff!

the lead caterer was excellent to work with and the staff worked very hard and everyone was pleased with the quality and amount of food. the staff took care of everything and we did not have to worry about a thing!

Sent on 10/20/2018

Molly · Married on 04/27/2018

My wedding day was completely stress free thanks to this amazing team! I have gotten so many compliments from the guests at our wedding. They continue to tell us how amazing the food and service were! Cris and his team made sure that every small final detail we wanted was accommodated for and we could not have been more happy.

Sent on 05/15/2018

Peggy · Married on 04/14/2018

Chris and his team did an excellent job with our wedding. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. I would highly recommend Smokin Willy!

Sent on 05/14/2018

Anna · Married on 11/18/2017

I cannot say enough good things about Cris and the whole Smokin Willy team. From our tasting with them we knew Smokin Willy was the right vendor for us--the food was simple, good, and an incredible value. They catered both our rehearsal dinner and reception, and both went off without a hitch, despite the fact that rain meant some last minute changes to the set up of our cocktail hour. Cris was incredibly responsive, answering my (many!) emails and (lots and lots) of questions, and the entire staff was friendly, cheerful, attentive and courteous to our guests. He worked with us to create a menu that accommodated our many vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free guests (including letting us bring our own veggie burgers to put on the grill for vegetarian bridesmaids!) and the food at the reception was even better than it was at the tasting. I would recommend Smokin Willy to anyone looking for excellent service and delicious food.

Sent on 11/21/2017

Julia · Married on 11/04/2017

It was a pleasure working with Cris and team for our 11/04/2017 wedding. Cris was very accommodating of various menu and rental changes, and even made a special meal for kids. Cris and his staff were extremely professional and took care of everything we requested. We wanted to have a family-style meal to go with our barn wedding, and everything worked out great. We received many compliments on the food and hardly had any leftovers! I highly recommend the brisket and corn bread. Also huge thank you to Cris and his staff for cooking in the rain!

Sent on 11/09/2017

Sheri · Married on 10/28/2017

Wow! We were SO impressed by Smoking Willys. Their food was excellent and we were so pleased by the level of service they offered during the reception. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was just right. Their food is delicious and their prices are very fair. I could not be more pleased with their professionalism and our experience from start to finish.

Sent on 12/03/2017

Nicole · Married on 10/22/2017

We used Smokin Willy for our barn wedding. Chris was our lead and he was fantastic. First off let me say they came highly recommend by a few venues we went to go visit. Our first tasting was with Smokin Willy and our decision was super easy. We actually canceled the rest of our tastings after we left this one. The benefit is that the cook onsite!! Guess what that means....your food doesn’t get cold. Seriously, the food was amazing and everyone at our wedding couldn’t stop talking about how good it was! I highly recommend Smokin Willy for your wedding!!!

Sent on 11/05/2017
    Smokin Willy 12
  • Andrea

Andrea · Married on 10/21/2017

I used Smokin Willy for our October 21, 2017 wedding. Smokin Willy was recommended to us by our venue Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast Inn in Middleburg, VA. It was the only caterer we considered (seriously we did not interview any others or do any other tastings). We love BBQ and after reading reviews online, we knew we had found the right place. The staff at Smokin Willy is very friendly and professional. They answered our emails very promptly and were very accommodating to our requests to take things on and off our catering list throughout the year. If you worry about not having enough food for your wedding, you most certainly WILL NOT have that worry with Smokin Willy. With our 120 guests, we were able to feed them and stuff them silly with all the meats and sides we had. Our guests were raving about the food, some even saying they’d drive the 4 hours from Virginia Beach, VA just to eat at their location in Purcellville, VA. The top guest favorite meat was their pulled-pork and the top side was their mac & cheese (with their cornbread coming in a close second)! While I don’t mind plated dinners, I find them boring with their predictable beef, chicken, or fish options. Smokin Willy’s is a great alternative that offers freshly cooked food onsite, while still being chic enough for a wedding presentation. Our lovely on-site lead Cheryl was very efficient and attentive to the guests and our needs. They worked really well with our venue to pull off one heck of a reception! I cannot begin to say how wonderful they are and that any bride should seriously consider this amazing caterer for their future nuptials!!!

Sent on 10/29/2017

Katherine · Married on 10/21/2017

We had Smokin Willy cater for our rustic October wedding and they were absolutely perfect! Our tasting went really well and the staff was able to recommend great choices for us. We were assigned an event manager(Cris V.) who was so responsive, answered all of our questions, and was calm and flexible throughout the entire process. On our wedding day, the staff managed everything with ease, and the food was outstanding! We still get compliments from guests on how much they loved it! We also did table/chair/linen rentals through them which worked out really well. Smokin Willy made our big day wonderful, and you will be so happy choosing them for your big day too!

Sent on 01/22/2018