105 Reviews for Smokin Willy

House Beer (4)
House Liquor (4)
Premium Liquor (3)
105 Smokin Willy Reviews

The team at Smokin Willy was absolutely wonderful to work with! They were responsive, answered a thousand questions beforehand, and reasonably priced for amazing food! They were flexible when it came to rain back-up plans (which they had to speedily implement!) and no one was the wiser for all the scrambling they did. Everyone raved about the food! I would highly recommend them!

Profile Picture Lisa, 6/23/18, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres

The team at Smokin Willy did a great job working to make our vision for our wedding a reality since day one! The food and day of service they provided for us was fantastic and our guests were raving all night!

Profile Picture Corinne , 6/15/18, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, American

I cannot recommend Smoking Willy's catering highly enough. Cris and his team were AMAZING from start to finish. On our wedding day, it poured rain all afternoon, and our tented reception area turned into a MUDPIT. Despite the terrible weather and inches of mud and rain, Smoking Willy's arrived on time (when many other vendors did not) and with a great attitude. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was even better. The guests are still raving about how wonderful everything was and what a great job they did. Cris and his crew stayed at our house until 2:30 in the morning making sure everything was cleaned up and hauled away correctly. Don't hesitate, book Cris and Smoking Willy's for your event today!

Profile Picture Kimberly, 6/2/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Hors d'oeuvres, House Beer, House Liquor, Premium Liquor, American

Booking Smokin Willy was one of the best decisions I made during my wedding planning process. Chris was a joy to work with. My wedding reception was at a barn with two giant chandeliers, so I wanted the food to match that sense of casual elegance. We opted for BBQ (casual) and the quality of the food really elevated the meal to an elegant upscale dinner. We went with the grilled mesquite chicken, grilled ribeye steak, grilled mahi mahi, veggies, mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese. We also had a plated salads and passed appetizers during the cocktail hour. We are big foodies (both me and my husband come from huge Italian families) and ALL of my guests RAVED about our food - especially the mac and cheese. We served our dinner family style, and Chris managed bring everything out nice and hot and in a quick and timely manner. Everything was cooked to perfection and I have zero complaints. My sister even asked them to box up some steak and mac and cheese for my husband and I to eat that night because we liked it that much! Haha!

Not only was Chris amazing about food - he also helped us out with a ton of other things. We got most all of our rentals through him. He has some beautiful farm tables, as well as some big wine barrel cocktail tables that we used outside. We also rented a few bars to bring into the venue which were very cool. All plates, linens, glassware, and silverware were also secured through him so he really is a one stop shop - score!

As if great food and great rentals weren't enough, Chris and his team also provided amazing service. They set up all the tables and place settings for the event, manned the bar, served 27 tables family style, passed appetizers during cocktail hours, and smiled the whole time. I really felt like the whole team were more guests at my wedding because there were all so nice and pleasant.

It's clear that the folks at Smokin Willy know their way around a grill AND a wedding. 10/10 would recommend.

Photo for Smokin Willy Review - Cocktail Tabels - Audrey Rose Photography
Photo for Smokin Willy Review - Placesettings - Audrey Rose Photography
Photo for Smokin Willy Review - Farm Tables - Audrey Rose Photography
Profile Picture Hillary, 5/26/18, 9 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: American, Cocktail Reception, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Champagne Toast

My wedding day was completely stress free thanks to this amazing team! I have gotten so many compliments from the guests at our wedding. They continue to tell us how amazing the food and service were! Cris and his team made sure that every small final detail we wanted was accommodated for and we could not have been more happy.

Profile Picture Molly, 4/27/18, 1 Review
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres

Chris and his team did an excellent job with our wedding. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. I would highly recommend Smokin Willy!

Profile Picture Peggy, 4/14/18, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Stations, American, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, Premium Liquor

I cannot say enough good things about Cris and the whole Smokin Willy team. From our tasting with them we knew Smokin Willy was the right vendor for us--the food was simple, good, and an incredible value. They catered both our rehearsal dinner and reception, and both went off without a hitch, despite the fact that rain meant some last minute changes to the set up of our cocktail hour. Cris was incredibly responsive, answering my (many!) emails and (lots and lots) of questions, and the entire staff was friendly, cheerful, attentive and courteous to our guests. He worked with us to create a menu that accommodated our many vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free guests (including letting us bring our own veggie burgers to put on the grill for vegetarian bridesmaids!) and the food at the reception was even better than it was at the tasting. I would recommend Smokin Willy to anyone looking for excellent service and delicious food.

Profile Picture Anna, 11/18/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

It was a pleasure working with Cris and team for our 11/04/2017 wedding. Cris was very accommodating of various menu and rental changes, and even made a special meal for kids. Cris and his staff were extremely professional and took care of everything we requested. We wanted to have a family-style meal to go with our barn wedding, and everything worked out great. We received many compliments on the food and hardly had any leftovers! I highly recommend the brisket and corn bread. Also huge thank you to Cris and his staff for cooking in the rain!

Profile Picture Julia, 11/4/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

Wow! We were SO impressed by Smoking Willys. Their food was excellent and we were so pleased by the level of service they offered during the reception. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was just right. Their food is delicious and their prices are very fair. I could not be more pleased with their professionalism and our experience from start to finish.

Profile Picture Sheri, 10/28/17, 6 Reviews
Services Used: American, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres

We used Smokin Willy for our barn wedding. Chris was our lead and he was fantastic. First off let me say they came highly recommend by a few venues we went to go visit. Our first tasting was with Smokin Willy and our decision was super easy. We actually canceled the rest of our tastings after we left this one. The benefit is that the cook onsite!! Guess what that means....your food doesn’t get cold. Seriously, the food was amazing and everyone at our wedding couldn’t stop talking about how good it was! I highly recommend Smokin Willy for your wedding!!!

Photo for Smokin Willy Review - One of our guests plates for dinner!!! Yummm!
Profile Picture Nicole, 10/22/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: American, Buffet, Hors d'oeuvres, Champagne Toast

I used Smokin Willy for our October 21, 2017 wedding. Smokin Willy was recommended to us by our venue Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast Inn in Middleburg, VA. It was the only caterer we considered (seriously we did not interview any others or do any other tastings). We love BBQ and after reading reviews online, we knew we had found the right place. The staff at Smokin Willy is very friendly and professional. They answered our emails very promptly and were very accommodating to our requests to take things on and off our catering list throughout the year. If you worry about not having enough food for your wedding, you most certainly WILL NOT have that worry with Smokin Willy. With our 120 guests, we were able to feed them and stuff them silly with all the meats and sides we had. Our guests were raving about the food, some even saying they’d drive the 4 hours from Virginia Beach, VA just to eat at their location in Purcellville, VA. The top guest favorite meat was their pulled-pork and the top side was their mac & cheese (with their cornbread coming in a close second)! While I don’t mind plated dinners, I find them boring with their predictable beef, chicken, or fish options. Smokin Willy’s is a great alternative that offers freshly cooked food onsite, while still being chic enough for a wedding presentation. Our lovely on-site lead Cheryl was very efficient and attentive to the guests and our needs. They worked really well with our venue to pull off one heck of a reception! I cannot begin to say how wonderful they are and that any bride should seriously consider this amazing caterer for their future nuptials!!!

Profile Picture Andrea, 10/21/17, 10 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Champagne Toast, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Stations, American

We had Smokin Willy cater for our rustic October wedding and they were absolutely perfect! Our tasting went really well and the staff was able to recommend great choices for us. We were assigned an event manager(Cris V.) who was so responsive, answered all of our questions, and was calm and flexible throughout the entire process. On our wedding day, the staff managed everything with ease, and the food was outstanding! We still get compliments from guests on how much they loved it! We also did table/chair/linen rentals through them which worked out really well. Smokin Willy made our big day wonderful, and you will be so happy choosing them for your big day too!

Profile Picture Katherine, 10/21/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

Our wedding was theme was rustic elegance and we both nice BBQ and had heard great things about Smokin’ Willy and they lived up to those reviews. From the moment we sat down with Chris at the tasting through picking up our extra alcohol, Chris and his crew were amazing! Very professional, extremely nice and oh so patient with all the changes I made along the way! The food was amazing and all our guests raved about how delicious it was. I can’t say enough good things about them and highly recommend them!! Will definitely use them again!

Profile Picture Julie, 10/13/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: American, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres

What can I say about Smokin Willy that no one else has said that has had the same unbelievable experience that we did at our wedding. We choose Smokin Willy because we knew the food was good but hiring them to cater our wedding was top notch the best thing we could have ever done. From start to finish, their hospitality, knowledge, experience, and exceptional timely service made our family, friends and guests future customers of their facility. People could not stop talking about how good the food was and the fall off the bone ribs were out of this world! Chris and his team really went above and beyond to make everyone happy. We now call ourselves regulars of Smokin Willy as we frequently eat there and my husband proudly wears the chef jacket given to him by the staff! Thank you for the memories!

Profile Picture Lisa, 10/7/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Champagne Toast

Smokin' Willy catered our wedding and we cannot stop raving about how awesome they were! The food was fantastic, the servers were friendly and professional. We worked with Ashley before the wedding - she was responsive and accommodating to all our needs. Our wedding was DIY-inspired - Ashley and her team made our vision a reality. Chris even packed the leftovers for us but we are still craving for more cheeseburger sliders, fried chicken, and mashed potatoes. Thanks again Smokin' Willy, you guys rock!!! xo Abie and Walker

Profile Picture Abie, 9/16/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Cocktail Reception, Family Style, American

Loved working with the team at Smokin Willy for our Sept 2017 wedding! Going in we knew we wanted "fancy BBQ" for wedding, and after a few taste tests decided Smokin Willy was by far the best! Not only was their food great, but the were super accommodating with any changes or questions we had. Additionally the on site team made the event flow seamlessly! BOOK SMOKIN WILLY FOR YOUR WEDDING, YOU WON'T REGRET IT! (and your guests will be happy about the awesome food)

Profile Picture Kim, 9/9/17, 7 Reviews
Services Used: American, Cocktail Reception, Family Style

Smokin Willy does not only provide delicious food, but they provide an experience! Chris and his team brought their grill and grilled with food (smoked pork and carne asada) right there on site! The smell was mouth-watering, and food was freshly cooked. The cornbread, green beans, and garlic mashed potatoes were the perfect sides. The cornbread literally melted in your mouth. We had so many compliments on the food!! The servers were kind and worked diligently. Prior to the wedding day, we could drop off everything days in advance (such as beer and liquor), which was so nice to get that out of the way! They mixed our signature drinks for us, and provided all dispensers. We are so glad we decided on Smokin Willy for our wedding!

Profile Picture Sarah, 8/19/17, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, American

Smoking Willy's knows what they are doing! After communicating for months (up until the week of the wedding) and visiting the store a couple times, they did a wonderful job putting everything together and making our big day go smoothly. The variety of food choices were all great and their service was exceptional. Great company and would recommend to ANYONE!

Profile Picture Stephanie, 6/17/17, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, American

Working with Smokin Willy for my wedding caterer was by far the best decision I made in planning. I used them for almost everything - tent, rentals, catering - and they went beyond for each and every aspect. Everything was super professional, the food was delicious, and the logistics went off without a hitch. If you want bbq - they are the way to go - and it doesn't hurt that their prices are really reasonable and the people were really just lovely to work with. Everything was a dream.

Profile Picture Meagan, 6/3/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres

I am SO thankful that we chose Smokin Willy. Chris and his team are THE ABSOLUTE BEST. They go above and beyond! You expect a caterer to provide great food and reliable services, sure, but do you also expect them to volunteer to decorate your tables, move flower arrangements from your ceremony to your reception, or use a leaf blower to dry a lawn because it rained just prior to your cocktail hour?! I certainly didn't but Smokin Willy had no limits when it came to serving us. They wanted to help in any and every way possible and they gave me the greatest gift of all... peace of mind on my wedding day! I felt like I could trust them from the start 100% and I was right! Not only were they doing amazing things behind the scenes but my guests all raved about our food so they truly covered all the bases (even the ones you might not think of). I cannot thank Chris (the owner) and his team at Smokin Willy enough and I can guarantee you will feel the exact same way if you make the very wise decision to work with them too.

Profile Picture Jessica, 5/27/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, American

We worked with Smokin’ Willy for our rehearsal dinner (May 2017), and they were awesome! They were incredibly friendly, responded quickly to emails with all the information we needed, and the food was delicious. The BBQ trio (burgers, chicken, and hot dogs) and sides (mac & cheese, grilled vegetables, and corn bread) they served for the rehearsal dinner received rave reviews from all of our guests! The staff who worked the dinner were amazing - they arrived early, were friendly and professional, and even offered to help us with anything else we may need to make the rehearsal dinner go smoothly. We highly recommend Smokin’ Willy for any event!

Profile Picture User6349610, 1+ year ago, 9 Reviews
Services Used: American, Buffet

From the first contact several months ago and all the way through our event Chris and Ashley were fantastic. We knew we wanted a bbq type wedding and we checked out several BBQ caterers in the VA/DC area and decided on Smokin Willys because their bbq was great. Little did we know that the whole experience would be even better. Chris immediately put us at ease throughout the planning and through many of the decisions that go into set up, rentals, tables settings, etc. Chris's staff was awesome and the bartenders were super fun. The food was crazy good from the pork and brisket to to the mac and cheese, grilled vegetables, and salads. We are still hearing from our guests about how amazing the food and service was. They made our special day unforgettable and we would recommend Smokin Willys to anyone who wants great food and service and a fun wedding.

Profile Picture derek, 4/29/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering

My husband and I wanted a casual feel to our wedding, so the food had to be just right. Our wedding required a cater that could be super family-friendly with over 20 kids in attendance – 5 of whom were under 2 years old – and a boatload of vegetarians. Smokin Willys stepped up to the plate with fantastic food, excellent customer service and attention to detail before, during and after our wedding. Our sales contact and event manager was Chris who led an attentive team that grilled up a wonderful meal for all ages. With varied pallets and a bunch of BBQ foodies in attendance, we opted for the mixed grille with petite fillet, mesquite chicken and kielbasa. For the kids, we had a mashed potato and mac-n-cheese bar. And the vegetarians we appeased with grilled portabella mushrooms. Numerous family members and friends have commented on the great food and the attentive catering staff. I’ve honestly never held an event where I’ve not worried about the food, the kid-friendly seating or the event as a whole, especially with a bunch of kiddos – and I got that peace of mind with the cracker jack team at Smokin Willys. And a hearty meal people talk about to boot!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 4/1/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Event Rentals & Photobooths

We used Smokin Willy for my daughter’s reception on Nov 12, 2016 and I can only rave about them!! Cris and his team were amazing to work with and put our minds at ease from the very beginning. They knew exactly what we did and didn’t need. Cris was very responsive to all our emails and was prepared at our walk-through with any questions that needed to be addressed. We made several changes along the way and Cris was on top of it all. Our guests are still raving about the food, not your traditional wedding dinner. We went with the barbequed chicken, salmon and carne asada. We also had passed hors d’oeuvres for the cocktail hour and the bacon wrapped scallops were to die for! They cooked onsite, which just added to the anticipation with all the amazing smells! The weather was cold, but all the meals were served piping hot! Amazing!! Aside from the delicious food, the catering team went above and beyond to help with all the decorating and set up. Everything was just as my daughter had envisioned it to be. We could not have made a better choice by having Smokin Willy caterer the wedding. I highly recommend them!!

Profile Picture Mary, 11/12/16, 9 Reviews