Shirley Acres Reviews

47 Reviews for Shirley Acres

1 User photo

Shirley Acres 1

Angelica · Married on 07/21/2012

My husband and I got married at Shirley Acres two weeks ago. We had the most wonderful time and it was a dream wedding for us! While I have watched friends with different venues stress out, we were able to enjoy being engaged and Shirley Acres took care of all of the details that are making my friends pull their hair out! Jane, our coordinator, was amazing and so helpful. Jim, the florist was a joy to work with and so passionate about his job. The DJ was great and Bob Shirley always made us feel so comfortable. We used The Element hotel and Jane was great at communicating with them when we needed a larger shuttle. The wine and food were wonderful and the cake was perfect (even though it was not traditional - they made it perfectly!). I cannot say enough about how wonderful, how well priced, how easy and enjoyable the wedding was thanks to Shirley Acres! I am so glad we got married there!

Sent on 08/02/2012

Boy · Married on 06/30/2012

My husband & I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Shirley Acres. From day one I contacted them till the day of the event, Bob and his staff were very helpful & proficient in making this celebration memorable and painless. Kudos to Shanna, our wedding coordinator, who made sure that everything went smoothly & to Jane who helped me soooooo much, to the staff/servers/bartenders who were very courteous, and last but not the least, to Bob. Words are not enough to express how grateful we were to all the assistance you gave us...thanks Bob. All our guest were pleased with the venue and the food was delicious, kudos to the chef. I will highly recommend this place to everyone.

Sent on 07/02/2012

Veronica · Married on 03/09/2012

This venue was organized and efficient. They had everything planned out and met with me ahead of time to go over any last minute things that needed to be completed. I can say that nothing went wrong on my wedding night!

Sent on 03/20/2012

marilynn · event on: 03/02/2014

Many thanks to Shirley Acres for a WONDERFUL event on Saturday, March 2, 2014. 100+ of our customers enjoyed a delicious meal in a beautiful setting. Your service was beyond expectations; the room lovely and every plate was empty as it went to the kitchen. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

From all your new fans at Premier Designs........

Marilynn Patterson, Independent Distributor; Premier Designs High Fashion Jewelry

Sent on 03/03/2014
  • Lindsay

Lindsay · Married on 10/16/2010

My husband and I were looking for a beautiful garden setting for our October wedding. We were blessed to find Shirley Acres. The garden area is perfect for an evening wedding under the stars with soft candlelight. okay...maybe I'm a little biased :)

The team of individuals on staff here were great to work with making sure every detail that I requested was met and then some. They handle a multitude of additional things making this a possible one stop shop for the brides that don't like to plan!

My family all raved about the service and everyone said if felt like something from a movie...and I thought it was just me :)

Hope that helps!

Sent on 01/25/2011

Christina · Married on 02/02/2008

Shirley Acres was amazing they made the planning of my wedding so stress free. I highly recommend them for any occasion. My wedding was just perfect! The cost of having and event there is so reasonable they include so much in there price that makes planning a wedding a breeze.

Sent on 03/05/2008

Virginia · event on: 11/07/2016

Sheila Cannon is the BEST. In the years Shirley Acres has been hosting our senior event of 250+, Sheila and her staff have always been professional, courteous, and have provided the best of service. Sheila herself is so warm and gracious and sees that our every need is met and has always been accessible. Truly she is one of the main reasons we continue to have our Annual Senior Recognition Event at your facility. Just beautiful Thank you Sheila.

Sent on 11/07/2016
  • O

Ozeal · event on: 04/02/2016

Great venue. Friendly Staff. Food is amazing. Jane, Shelia, and the rest of the staff are professional , friendly, and take great value in making the clients and their guests feel like they're VIP as it should be. Highly recommended.

Sent on 04/17/2016

Raylea · Married on 03/19/2016

We loved LOVED Shirley Acres. They were great to work with. Shelia, Bob, and Jane worked very hard to make sure the day went so smoothly, which we appreciated so much. The venue is gorgeous, and the food is delicious!!!

Sent on 03/29/2016
  • F

Faye · Married on 01/30/2016

My daughter's wedding reception at Shirley Acres was amazing. From sitting down with Bob a year early to working with Shelia and staff on the wedding day, all pleasant. Oldest daughter/first wedding and everything (I truly mean everything) was perfect. The flower colors, the set up, the food, the cakes, the DJ ............ not one complaint. All of our guests were complimentary about polite staff, decor and food as well. It was a wonderful reception.

Sent on 02/03/2016

Jillian · Married on 01/30/2016

Having our wedding at Shirley Acres took all the stress out of the planning process. They took care of everything! From the DJ to the cakes to the centerpieces and everything in between! The food was delicious and we got lots of compliments from our guest that echoed that! The cakes were amazing as well, not only in taste, but in design as well! There are not enough positive words that I can say about Bob and the staff at Shirley Acres. They were so professional and responsive and that was the icing on the cake to the great service they provided us!

Sent on 08/24/2016

Amy · Married on 02/09/2013

I only have good things to say about Shirley Acres! I don't live anywhere near Texas and was planning the wedding from states away. Shirley Acres made the process so stress free and provided amazing service in a family friendly way. My best way to describe how positively I feel is with this story- My husbands father was passing away a few months before the wedding, which brought us suddenly into town. We were spending most of our time at the hospital and decided that since we were in town we may as well do some wedding planning to get us out of the hospital (nobody likes being stuck there). So we called Shirley Acres and asked if we could come see the venue, and they said we should come by whenever we were free and someone could meet with us to plan everything! We showed up three hours later and planned everything from the cake to the decorations, to the order of things.....it was perfect, and exactly the escape we needed at that time. They also provided food for us that night, and the next as well, so we could try the dinner options. They even packaged up extra so we could bring it to the hospital for other family members. They truly were incredible, and were with us in some of the most difficult moments- and greeted us with a hug, just like family. Because of that, we knew we could trust them for our wedding, and I'm so glad we did. It was a marvelous day, and they were so skilled with everything that it was a calmer day, and we didn't have to worry about all the set up and extra things, only about each other!

Sent on 04/29/2013

We had our daughter's reception at Shirley Acres in June, 2016. It is a family owned business and they really give you so much individual attention. We did not feel like we were 'just another wedding' rather they recognized that it was our very special wedding and treated us that way. The flowers were incredible, food and cake were very good, and our wedding coordinator was terrific! We wouldn't hesitate to have another wedding there!

• Aubrey

Aubrey · Married on 12/18/2016

3.0

Shirley Acres was a gem amongst the Houston venues. They boast beautiful grounds for an insanely reasonable price. I didn't get caught up in any drama. There weren't any last-minute fusses. My wedding was everything my husband and I wanted. Let me be frank: I am quite "go-with-the-flow-ish" in life. I like to focus on what I can control without much regret with the morning details that a wedding surely requires. I never cared if the napkins matched my bouquet and such. Not my style. I didn't exactly know what I wanted, to be honest. They were able to get inside my head at times, and that was fantastic!!
    However, there were just a few problems worth mentioning to those more attention-to-detail. I had cupcakes. Not a cake. I was supposed to have the top tier be a small layer of cake, though. They did not provide me with that, so I was unable to use my cake topper I spent a bit of money on. Do I truly care? Not really. I can use that on a plethora of other cakes in my life. Just worth mentioning. Communication FROM this venue needs improvement. I live quite a busy lifestyle, so calling them at every turn isn't possible. I feel like sometimes if I hadn't called them, my wedding would have been rushed with last-minute stuff. They didn't tell us about a $600 safety deposit until one month before. We barely had the funds, but I'm thankful we had it. It isn't perfect, but it was everything I needed on the day of. In that regard, this place is a dream.
    I love the grounds. The food was excellent. Attentiveness on the wedding day was impeccable. Just letting you know, they only let us come onto the grounds 1hr and 15 mins before my wedding started. I felt SO rushed by everything happening all at once, so maybe extend that time before to at least 2 hrs. I'm very open and forgiving, so I'm sorry if you feel this review is a bit soft. They worked hard to accommodate me in almost every way. I didn't make a big deal about anything said here. My marriage is what's most important

Sent on 12/21/2016

Laura · Married on 05/21/2016

We really loved this venue especially because of its all-inclusive aspect. It alleviated so much stress not having to shop around for a cake, flowers, a DJ, decorations, etc. The staff was amazing to work with and super accommodating. All in all, it was a beautiful day full of wonderful memories and so much of that is due to Shirley Acres!

Diamond · Married on 05/29/2016

4.2

We recently had our ceremony/reception at Shirley Acres. The staff is flexible and available for to answer any questions. The day of the wedding, I did not have to worry about anything. They went over and beyond for us and was easy to work with. The food was amazing. Everyone enjoyed themselves. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Sarah · Married on 08/11/2007

3.8
      2.5

Our wedding coordinator was very attentive to our needs and able to make helpful suggestions. Decor/flowers were beautiful and the food was delicious and well prepared. Also, we got a free upgrade to the larger room because it was not booked for the day of our wedding! However, the DJ did not meet our expectations. He failed to play songs on our "Do play list" yet played songs on our "Don't play list." Some guests commented after the wedding that the DJ was not that good. Overall, I give Shirley Acres a good rating.

Sent on 01/09/2008

Audrey · Married on 07/25/2010

3.6
      3.5

We decided to go with Shirley Acres because it seemed like we were getting a lot for the overall cost compared to other venues. (They include alcohol, DJ, reception centerpieces, etc). They also gave us 10% off the price because we had our wedding on a Sunday and upgraded our room and meal choice for free. We were extremely happy. I was planning my wedding from 500 miles away so the professionalism and availability of the staff was very important. I made an appointment a couple months in advance to come down to Houston and knock out 80% of the planning in one day (cake design and flavor, meal choice, flower choices, table linens, etc). My fiance and I booked flights down to Houston, and both of our immediate families traveled about 30 minutes to be a part of the fun. Three days before the appointment I called to confirm everything. The girl that answered the phone said that I was in the books and everything would be ready for me when we arrived. When we got there, there was no one there to greet us. We waited in the front room for a about 10 minutes before an officer came to talk to us.(By the way, you end up paying for officers to sit around and chit chat or talk on the phone in a different building than your event) He told us that a wedding was currently going on and no one was available. After realizing he had about a dozen frustrated and flabbergasted people staring at him, he went to get the wedding coordinator from the wedding next door. A flustered woman walked into the room and asked us why we were there. I told her about the appointment we had made and how I had called in advance to double check everything. She told me that the woman we had an appointment with had a personal emergency and that every one else was at the bridal extravaganza. Clearly not only were we upset that we dragged our whole family out there to do absolutely nothing, but we had wasted all of that money spent on getting down there. The coordinator then decided she would do her best to cover the rear end of the ones who flubbed up. She rushed out of the room and about 5 minutes later came back in with three plates of the bride's wedding cake. I was shocked that she would take from the bride's cake and give it to complete strangers! I know that she was just doing her best, but that bride paid for her cake and probably would not have appreciated it being given away. On top of that, the cake was very dry and really, just not even good (I'm sure it was gorgeous though). They also gave us three to go boxes of their carved roast and chicken to try their food. Their food was excellent.
    After sorting everything out afterwards, the head coordinator did a much better job of contacting us. (We were quite upset with the whole ordeal.) They didn't offer to help compensate us for travelling all the way down there (because now we had to make arrangements to come back a second time). They simply said they were sorry and at times tried to brush the blame on to us a little bit. Frustrating.
    Everything was fine for a while. About a month before the wedding my dad called me to ask about paying the remaining balance. He said no one had tried to contact him or my mother about anything and wondered if I had heard anything about it. I called them and they said that the remaining payment is due 6 weeks before the event. I was pretty shocked that no one tried any means of contact to collect the money or remind us about it. I also found out that I was supposed to have had a personal coordinator to help me with all of the last month and a half - two months worth of planning. No one had tried to contact me what so ever. I wasn't even assigned to anyone. It left me wondering what else I was needing to do (or what they were needing to do). How difficult is it to make a phone call?
    On the Tuesday before my wedding (my wedding was on a Sunday) my coordinator told me that the DJ would want me to make a CD of all of the songs we wanted to be played at our wedding. With everything else going on (planning, familiy and friends coming into town, and the stress of it all) I was not about to do the DJ's job FOR him. I decided to cancel what seemed to be a lazy and incompetent DJ that Shirley Acres offered. He had never even attempted to contact me directly, which I found annoying. I went with Complete Music in Houston and ended up extremely happy. They were very accommodating and were $350 cheaper than what Shirley Acres was charging, even when I was doing the work for their DJ. The DJ contacted me directly and we even met up face to face to make sure we had everything ready. I felt completely confident in Complete Music and immediately felt relief that the music was in our DJ, Ryan's, hands. (After all, music makes the party!)
    That was the last of the major mishaps with Shirley Acres. They do up-charge their alcohol so be aware. A keg that normally costs $100-120 was $275!
    As far as the actual wedding day goes, everything was perfect! Jane did an excellent job of moving things a long. I was very happy with everything. The centerpieces turned out lovely (Jim, the florist, knows his stuff!). All of the guests raved about the food. I even heard that the beer was especially crisp, cold, and delicious. The wine is good and I really liked the champaign. We ended up choosing another vendor for our cakes (since what we tried was dry and disappointing). We went with For Heaven's Cake and was absolutely the best cake I have ever seen or eaten. LOVED working with For Heaven's Cake and would definitely recommend it.
    I don't really know how to "rate" them since leading up to the wedding was a little bit of a nightmare at times, but the wedding itself was perfect in every way. Good luck with your planning!

Sent on 08/02/2010

3.4
      3.5

I appreciated the value of the services provided, but was unhappy with the necessity for "add-ons" throughout the process. The "add-ons" were not clearly communicated.

Sent on 12/18/2013

Tim · Married on 06/10/2016

3.2
      2.5
      3.0

Beautiful place to get married. But the coordinator Christina is not helpful. She lost one of our props for the wedding, she doesn't guide you, and comes to ask what she can do with a situation.
    And if you have kids at your wedding, be careful because the mimosa table are not labeled and kids had some. We found out later by our guest.
    And make sure that you get the service that they said they will provide. Don't be fooled.

Sent on 07/05/2016

Kelly · Married on 10/08/2016

1.4
      1.0

Just do not do it. It isn't worth the headache or the drama.

Sent on 10/12/2016

Kim · Married on 04/07/2018

0.8
      1.5
      0.5

Not impressed! I have done events with them in past and not had these issues. I was considering using them for the location of my daughter's wedding. It took Karla 4-5 emails to send an attachment with the original quote. There were few small changes I wanted made to the quote, so scheduled an appointment for our daughter to tour the venue. Before the appointment we were ask to change the time so could meet with Bob, we agreed. My daughter shows up at the new appointment time and doesn't get to meet with Bob and the quote has not been prepared. Krystal redoes the quote and it is almost $6,000 more than than the original. Not happy! I guess this is how they run things now. I highly sugggest you at other venues, because I won't trust them to do my daughter's wedding. Who knows how messed up it would be the day of the wedding if I put it in their hands.

Sent on 06/21/2017