Purple Onion Catering Company Reviews

Purple Onion Catering Company 4
Purple Onion Catering Company 5

Cat Prahm · Getting married on 06/03/2021

Wonderful Company

Our experience working with Purple Onion was excellent. Food was terrific and service was superb.

Sent on 04/17/2019

Deirdre Prahm · Getting married on 06/03/2021

Outstanding Caterer

My daughter's wedding was at The Barns at Wolftrap in late March 2019. We worked with Margaret Zagrodniczek who was professional and responsive. The food was absolutely delicious especially the mango salsa on the beef and chicken. The appetizers and desserts were equally delicious! Everyone commented on the food.

We had wanted long rectangular tables instead of rounds so it would be easier for people to talk. Margaret created a suggested layout for the reception but I had my own ideas. She re-created, again and again, different table arrangements until ultimately, we decided on her original layout. Lesson learned: this woman knows her stuff so go with the professional.

I was amazed at the efficiency of the staff as they broke down the ceremony space and turned it into the reception space. Everything was switched over like magic. The wait staff was excellent including accommodating a last minute allergy, getting another plate for a guest. Margaret and the staff were aware of other allergies so those guests didn't feel singled out for their requests.

Margaret's attention to detail, her flexibility and the wonderfully delicious food that she represents made my daughter's wedding a day to remember.

Sent on 04/17/2019
  • Nia

Nia Henry · Getting married on 08/01/2020

Delicious Food, Beautiful Table Service and Amazing Service

I found purple onion through my venue's preferred list. They were the first catering company to contact me back with detailed information of the process. We visited for a tasting and they had a personalized sign for us with champagne and so much food! It was delicious. We later came back because we wanted to try the food one more time before we made our decision. The contract and payment was easy going. I recommend this vendor to anyone.

Sent on 10/10/2019
  • Ashleigh

Ashleigh · Married on 11/01/2019

Wonderful experience!

We are so happy with our experience with Purple Onion. Our wedding was at the Winery at Bull Run and we planned our wedding in less than 3 months! We really had no idea what to expect and were nervous about the short timeline but Margaret made us feel taken care of every step of the way. We ended up going with a buffet option and the food was fantastic! Our guests are still talking it!! Don’t even get me started on the cupcakes (amazing!) the peanut butter and jelly cupcake was our favorite.

The only sad thing that happened was our small cake somehow got lost and never made it back home with us. When spoke with Margaret after the wedding to let her know what happened she said they would make us a brand new cake so we would still be able to celebrate our anniversary with a slice!

Thank you so much Purple Onion for helping to make our special day so special!

Purple Onion Catering Company 6
    Sent on 11/14/2019
  • Whitney

Whitney Fore · Married on 10/05/2019

Pick Purple Onion!

Hiring Purple Onion was one of the best decisions we could have made for our big day. Paige and Anna were amazing and made our vision come to life better than we ever could have imagined. The food was delicious and everyone loved the signature cocktails. Highly recommend!

Sent on 10/07/2019

Patti Allison · Married on 09/29/2019

Patti Hall

My husband and I got married at the The Winery at Bull Run on September 29, 2019.
    The Purple Onion catered our wedding and wow,
    Margaret and her team blew us out of the water. Margaret, is so well organized and anticipates your needs....before you even realize it. She and her team were amazing to work with, the food was excellent. My guests raved about the Mac & Cheese and the cider donut bar. I truly felt relaxed because I know my wedding was in great hands thanks to Margaret.
    We can’t thank this team enough for making our wedding so wonderful and for paying close attention to details. The reception room and cocktail hour were gorgeous.
    Thank you! We can’t thank you enough.

Patti Allison

Sent on 10/05/2019
  • Jhoan

Jhoan · Married on 09/20/2019

Very Satisfied :)

My partner and I were very happy that we chose Purple Onion as our caterer for our wedding. Margaret was always there to answer our questions since day 1 up until the day of the wedding. It was such a breeze working with her. The food was absolutely delicious that some our friends still talk about it whenever we talk about our wedding day. The staff was pleasant and the dinner set up was beautiful too. We totally recommend them!

Sent on 11/06/2019

BZ · Married on 09/14/2019

Great Reception from Start to Finish

Great value and easy to work with! Purple Onion was one of the preferred vendors for our wedding reception at Wolf Trap in September and we were so happy with the results. After doing tastings with 2-3 other vendors, my fiancé and I decided that the quality of food, rental options, and price offered by Purple Onion was perfect for our needs. We worked with Margaret through every step of the process, and we could not have been happier with our experience. Not only did Margaret’s experience create a smooth planning process, but she was willing to go the extra mile and suggest solutions to other ideas we had for our big day. Our wedding reception could not have gone better. Great food, yummy snacks, beautiful cake, perfect rentals to fit the décor, and a staff who created a wonderful night for us and our guests.

Sent on 11/08/2019
  • Kimie

Kristina Velhagen · Married on 09/07/2019

Hard work and dedication

We were recently married and wanted to share our amazing experience with Purple Onion. During our initial search, we spoke to and sampled multiple catering services. We also scoured through countless online reviews and found Purple Onion to be on top of every list available.
    While Purple Onion offers an extensive selection that were high-quality, elegant and delicious, we attribute our stress-free experience to Brooke’s exceptional support. She worked tirelessly from day 1 to the end of the event to ensure every detail (no matter how small) was perfect. She’s been responsive to all my questions (and there were a lot) and provided great recommendations based on her extensive experience.
    One instance I wanted to share occurred during the beginning of cocktail hour. I was able to quickly step away from the commotion to take a peek at dinner preparations and in my walk-thru, noticed Brooke thoroughly engaged & focused; ensuring every individual dish was ideally plated (even down to the amount of salad dressing served to keep ingredients fresh). As I made my way back to the event a few minutes later, Brooke quietly approached me with a plate full of my favorite hor d'oeuvres (she wanted to make sure I enjoyed them before the long evening ahead)! While these might seem like very small gestures, it meant everything to me knowing she was doing a fantastic job and allowing me to enjoy quality time with family and friends.
    Thanks to Brooke and the team (from the captain, to the servers and bartenders) for making our wedding day so memorable. It likely wouldn’t have been so perfect without all her hard work and dedication. For those interested in having your wedding or special event catered, not only will you (and your guests) enjoy an amazing meal but you’ll also work alongside a very talented professional, like Brooke. We definitely recommend!

Sent on 10/07/2019

Mimi Clark · Married on 09/01/2019

Purple Onion Catering Saved the Day!

When we booked a venue for my daughter and her fiance's wedding a year in advance, I immediately started looking for a caterer. We needed a company that would not only cater an all vegan wedding, but one that would customize recipes selected by my daughter and her fiance from my vegan cooking classes. Although most caterers offer some vegan options, few are willing to customize an entire menu.

Six months and 8 caterers later, our venue kindly referred me to Purple Onion Catering in Vienna, VA. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I was encouraged when I talked to Kristen. A former chef at Purple Onion. she later became vegan and continued to work there as an event coordinator. Best of both worlds!

Kristen and her staff were excited about our vision to have an entire dairy-free and gluten-free cheese table including Miyoko's, Follow Your Heart, Daiya, and Field Roast cheeses, Edward & Sons Rice Snaps crackers, Divina dolmas, and organic grapes and dates. Prior to the tasting, I gave the chefs my vegan recipes including my homemade seitan recipe (along with a sample to taste) for our Teriyaki Kebabs. Never having tasted these recipes before, the chefs couldn't guarantee that their dishes would taste exactly like mine, but they sure came close! We all left the tasting feeling like we were in capable hands.

Kristen and her staff were consummate professionals. Kristen responded to all of my emails with 1 - 2 days. Her demeanor was relaxed and accommodating, which struck a good balance with my high anxiety. She was extremely thorough and organized, and she left no stone unturned in the planning stages, which made executing everything go smoothly on the day of the wedding. Our guests loved the 3 hors d'oeuvres, the 5 buffet lunch dishes, the vegan cupcakes, and the fresh organic fruit. Some of our guests are still talking about the non-dairy cheese table, which our niece jokingly called the "table of lies."

Purple Onion Catering will be our first choice should we need to cater any future events.

Mimi
    Mother of the bride

Sent on 09/15/2019

Rachel · Married on 09/01/2019

Excellent food & went above and beyond day-of

We had an extremely positive experience with Brooke and the Purple Onion team for our wedding this month. Throughout the process Brooke was patient, helpful, and friendly, building a menu, updating the menu (several times...), and planning out the day-of schedule. We were so happy with the support setting up the reception area and the tables looked beautiful. The servers couldn't have been kinder and made sure my husband and I had some food throughout the event.

Finally, the food was excellent! They made a custom menu item for us that turned out well, and everything from the chicken entree to the vegan potato cakes received compliments from our guests.

Would highly recommend Purple Onion!

Sent on 09/24/2019
  • Ann

Ann Baldauf · Married on 08/24/2019

Purple Onion Went Above And Beyond

We worked with Margaret to plan our wedding, from the start she was excited to work with us and extremely helpful! She answered all of our questions and did an excellent job planning everything out. The day of crew were superstars! They set up our rentals and all our decor, they made our venue look even more beautiful. The food was excellent and many of our guests commented on how delicious and impressive the dinner was. The service during dinner was superb, each of our guests were taken care of and everything was seamless. Purple Onion exceeded all of our expectations and made our special day really beautiful.

Sent on 08/26/2019

Shea · Married on 08/17/2019

Amazing Caterer

We inquired about 10 catering quotes before narrowing it down to two for tastings. In the end, we chose Purple Onion primarily due to our catering manager, Paige. She was very experienced working with our venue and was extremely accommodating in the rental and catering process. Purple Onion’s food and service was far better than the other company we tried although not cheaper. The selection of appetizers was wonderful. We also appreciated that we could bring our own mixers (sodas, juices) and alcohol. We were able to save a good amount this way although the shopping and transportation wasn’t our favorite part of our wedding! :) Purple Onion provided their suggested quantities to buy of everything. While their suggestions ended up being about 2x what we ended up needing, we were able to return some of the excess and save even more. If your budget allows, I’d suggest just leaving it up to Purple Onion to avoid the hassle. I really appreciated the rentals meetings. Purple Onion suggests a company for rentals with very reasonable rates but when they didn’t have everything to meet my vision, Paige brought in items from a second rental company to complete the look. It was really above and beyond. On the day of our wedding, the server that I met was very professional and polite. I would certainly suggest Purple Onion and Paige specifically.

Purple Onion Catering Company 7
    Purple Onion Catering Company 8
    Purple Onion Catering Company 9
    Purple Onion Catering Company 10
    Sent on 09/09/2019
  • Anna

Anna · Married on 07/27/2019

Well-executed, professional, delicious!

We highly recommend Purple Onion for wedding catering! It was wonderful to work with them Paige made the entire process so easy for us! She was relatable, had a sense of our style, and made excellent recommendations to us. As we got further along in planning, it really felt like if catering does not run smoothly at a reception, it can really effect the entire experience and the Purple Onion did not disappoint! Our wedding ran so smoothly and everything was timed perfectly. Our guests loved the menu we created from our tasting and we really appreciate how helpful Purple Onion was with all dietary restrictions. We had guests who were gluten free, vegetarian, and had shellfish allergies, and they were able to accommodate all of this so everyone enjoyed dinner. We are genuinely impressed with their food, service, and planning!

Sent on 09/03/2019

Jelliott · Married on 06/22/2019

Perfect Wedding Experiene with Purple Onion!!

Margaret and her team at Purple Onion created a wonderful wedding experience for our daughter. The staff was outstanding, and they worked seamlessly behind the scenes and made sure every detail was covered and everything went exactly to plan. The event was a complete success and thanks to their professionalism, we were able to focus on the wedding completely. And the hors d'oeuvres and dinner were outstanding! We had many guests comment on the food and state that it was the best wedding they'd ever attended. Many, many thanks to Margaret and her team for a simply outstanding job. I would highly recommend Purple Onion to anyone!

Sent on 06/25/2019
  • Amber

Amber · Married on 06/01/2019

Absolutely Delicious and Easy to Work With!

Purple Onion was so incredibly flexible when it came to helping us pick a menu and options within our budget. Even after me changing my mind a million times they still were so patient in building something perfect for us :) The food was incredible and we had a great variety for our guests. We got so many compliments on the dinner and late night tacos! Not to mention they were so attentive and doted on my husband and I all day. They kept our plates and glasses full and grabbed us anything we needed the entire night. They brought us appetizers during photos (so clutch) and got us drinks before the reception! I think if it hadn't have been for them we wouldn't have even gotten the change to eat. These guys are serious professionals and highly recommend booking with them :)

Sent on 06/06/2019

Katelynn Wagner · Married on 05/11/2019

Delicious!

Paige from Purple Onion was our point of contact for our wedding and she was so nice and helpful. On top of that, all of the food was so delicious! Many of our guests came up to us during the wedding and mentioned how the food was some of the best they've had at a wedding. Would highly recommend!!

Purple Onion Catering Company 11
    Sent on 07/15/2019

Lisa Bateman · Married on 03/23/2019

Delicious food!

We chose Purple Onion to cater our March 2019 wedding at Stone Tower and were so pleased with the outcome! We have had so many compliments from guests about the food! I was very pleased with everything that I tasted on the wedding day, and Paige was very helpful in all of the planning! After our first tasting with her, she let us come back again to try a few additional cake options and other sauces for the filet, which was extremely helpful! We really enjoyed all of the appetizers, meals, and desserts, and the cake was so delicious that we wound up getting our cake from Purple Onion as well! We also wanted to add a late night snack before we sent guests home, and Paige worked with us to add a grilled cheese and fries station towards the end of the night that our guests loved. Many people told us that it was the best wedding food they've had. We also really appreciated that Paige was waiting for us right after the ceremony with drinks and appetizers ready so that we would be sure we got to eat/drink something before heading into the cocktail hour since she knew we would be swarmed by guests. Paige was also really helpful in giving recommendations for how much beer and alcohol for our signature cocktails we should buy (we bought it at Costco so it would be more affordable, but we never would've known how much to get without Paige's help). All in all, we were really pleased with our experience working with Paige and extremely happy with how all of the food turned out for our wedding!

Sent on 03/27/2019

Laura · Married on 12/30/2018

Perfect Execution

We worked with Margaret and her team for our Wedding on December 30th. The food and service were truly exceptional! All our guests commented that the food was delicious and couldn’t believe it was done by a catering company. We highly recommend working with them!

Sent on 01/02/2019
  • Seamus

Seamus Niall Hooban · Married on 12/22/2018

Wonderful Winter Wedding - Powered by Purple Onion

THANK YOU Purple Onion for such an amazing night. You were amazing and everyone was raving about how much they loved the food and dessert (especially the Peppermint Ding Dongs!). Your team also deserves very special mention, they were on top of it all day/night and we really appreciate all of their hard work, their friendly demeanor and the way they went about their work without disrupting any of the festivities on-site.

A couple of key highlights/benefits to highlight:
    1. Margaret Z. is a top notch professional - immediately upon meeting with her, we were blown away by her preparedness and attention to detail
    2. Out of the 10+ vendors we evaluated, Purple Onion bubbled to the top on quality of food. Many were close, but from Passed hor d'ourves, to salads, to entrees all the way through dessert, the food was fantastic. I also loved how they had seasonal and local options available.
    3. Flexibility - Purple Onion facilitated ~10 meals for our guests who had food restrictions and for kids, and brought them special plated meals (we had buffet stations for other guests)
    4. Great thought partner - we obviously have little experience with getting married/weddings, Margaret and team were great thought partners as we brainstormed how to approach our big day and set up
    5. Lastly - day of, staff was just amazing. You will not find much better in the business, if at all!

We would recommend Purple Onion to all of our friends and family who is considering a catered event/wedding moving forward!

Thank you again for all of the time and help during the build up and for executing so flawlessly on Saturday. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Holiday and have a Happy New Year!

Sent on 12/27/2018
  • Stefanie

Stefanie · Married on 11/04/2018

Amazing Food and Wonderful Staff!!!

Purple Onion was a PERFECT fit for our big day this fall. The food- both in taste and presentation- was amazing, the staff was wonderful, and they were so accommodating to our needs. Paige is seriously the best out there- she worked with me the whole time answering questions and helping with different ideas I came up with, all while keeping me calm and on track! Would 100% recommend them for your wedding!

Sent on 11/15/2018
  • Allison

Allison · Married on 11/03/2018

Purple Onion is fantastic

I feel like it's so rare that everything about an event turns out exactly how you had hoped/planned, and Margaret and the rest of the Purple Onion staff were so integral in making that happen. Margaret was so involved during the planning and helped us create our vision. We are both so grateful for all of their help throughout the process and could not have done it without them. The food was great (and was so much better than what I've normally had at any wedding) and we are so glad we decided to use Purple Onion for our wedding.

Sent on 11/05/2018

Janis Jones · Married on 11/02/2018

Amazing Food and Service!

Everyone raved about the food at my daughter's wedding! Cocktail hour with passed hors d'oeuvres were in high demand - my advice is to order more than you think you need. They were so good, our guests could not get enough! The plated dinner was perfect. We had several guests with dietary restrictions and all were met with ease. The food was served hot and the presentation was beautiful. The wait staff was very responsive and the food was served in a very timely manner.

Sent on 11/06/2018

Natalie · Married on 11/02/2018

Best. Caterer. Ever.

The Purple Onion was an absolutely wonderful caterer. After the wedding that was the number one thing that all of my guests told me, that the food was fabulous! From the mini taco appetizers to the hot coco bar everything was absolutely perfect. The hardest part of the process was deciding what plate was our favorite! They made it so easy to accommodate for any and all dietary needs of our guests. Highly recommend The Purple Onion.

Sent on 12/04/2018
  • Stephanie

Stephanie Koons · Married on 10/27/2018

Fabulous and delicious

Wonderful staff, excellent food choices, so easy to work with.

Sent on 11/14/2018