149 Reviews for Purple Onion Catering Company

Asian (1)
No Pork (1)
Premium Liquor (1)
149 Purple Onion Catering Company Reviews

Paige was fabulous to work with and made it a very easy and enjoyable experience. The food was delicious at the tasting and equally delicious at the wedding. The staff was great!

Profile Picture Renee, 5/27/18, 11 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, American, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Tastings, Nut Free, Vegetarian

I used Purple Onion for my May 2018 wedding at Bull Run Winery. From the original tasting appointment to the end of the wedding, Purple Onion and Margaret (the event manager) blew us away with their organization, attention to detail, amazing tasting food and overall customer service. Margaret is a pro at running a wedding and was a huge part of making the event perfect for us. She was always there to answer my questions or execute any little change we requested. She thought of alot of details before I did and was right there to remind me of decisions that needed to be made so everything stayed on track. As a project manager I appreciate detailed, action oriented and on time project execution! Margaret and Purple Onion did the most amazing job. I would use them again in a second. Not to mention the food and presentation at the wedding was also AMAZING. Thank you Margaret!

Profile Picture Campbell, 5/26/18, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, American, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Wine, Signature Drink, Clean Up, Set Up, Gluten Free, Vegan, Tables

The main thing my husband and I wanted was to have remarkable food. I received so many compliments from our guests that the food was amazing. Margaret and her team did a phenomenal job to make our day super special and memorable.

Profile Picture Kim, 5/12/18, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: American, French, Mediterranean, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), Buffet, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings

Purple Onion was essential to making our wedding day perfect!! Paige was a wonderful partner - she went above & beyond on all details, and brought an incredible energy to every meeting and the day itself. From the food to the table settings to the execution, I couldn't have envisioned a more perfect catering/rental vendor - Paige & team captured my vision exactly. Thank you Purple Onion team!!

Profile Picture Emma, 4/28/18, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

Purple Onion was phenomenal to work with for catering our wedding. The food is top notch and the service was solid. Paige was our point of contact from the beginning, and she is a dream to work with! We used Purple Onion for our catering and linens/utensils. Paige thinks of all the little details that you may miss, and is happy to work with you to create a menu just for you. Even though the price may be a bit higher than some, it is absolutely worth every penny. Our guests could not stop raving about the food which is a total win in my book. I cannot recommend Purple Onion enough!

Profile Picture Caroline, 4/22/18, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: American, Italian, Mediterranean, Southern, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Vegetarian

Purple Onion Catering is absolutely fabulous! We were so blessed to have enjoyed their food at our April 2018 wedding. Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Everyone very much enjoyed every bite. They are very professional and pleasant to work with. I highly recommend Purple Onion Catering!

Profile Picture Caitlin, 4/6/18, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

We worked with Margaret who is the best! She was very responsive, totally on top of everything and a lot of fun to work with. She took into account everything we wanted and absolutely delivered. The food is really really good (go for the crabcake appetizer!) and all of our guests enjoyed it. Staff was professional and made it so our event was so smooth that all the guests were free to just have a really good time. I HIGHLY recommend Purple Onion's services.

Profile Picture MB, 3/16/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Cake, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), American, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Vegetarian

We booked Purple Onion for our wedding and it was the best experience. Margaret is amazing and was great to work with. Even from the beginning at our tasting, I could tell everything would go well. Margaret was thorough, understanding, prompt, and had great ideas! The food was amazing, our guests are still talking about it! Great food = Happy People. I would recommend Purple Onion in heartbeat!

Profile Picture Scott , 2/18/18, 1 Review
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), Open Bar, American, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Buffet, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres

The folks at Purple Onion Catering Company are the absolute best! We had attended a couple of events where The Purple Onion had catered, and we knew we would get quality service/food. We worked with Margaret and she gave us awesome suggestions to make our special day so memorable. From the time we contacted them until the very end of the evening of our wedding, we were so pleased with the outcome. The tastings were amazing! The presentation of our buffet was just lovely. We are still receiving so many comments about the food..."the very best we have ever had"! We also had them make our very tasty and beautiful cake! Just so pleased with every aspect of our experience with them. The staff that worked the event was especially helpful! We would highly recommend them for any of your catering needs!

Profile Picture Sheila, 11/3/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

Our wedding was glorious! Scrumptious food and drink, outstanding service, and whimsical decor! Thank you for making our wedding ever so memorable! Manny and Brian

Profile Picture Juan, 10/28/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Signature Drink, Buffet, Cake, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up

I loved working with Paige! The whole process was smooth. The food was great! I loved being able to design our themed cocktail hour food stations to honor our French, El Salvador, & Tanzanian connections. Dinner was delicious! The tableware and rentals looked great and the service was fantastic! I could not have been happier.

Profile Picture User7143097, Recently Married, 11 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), Open Bar, Signature Drink, American, French, Mexican, Buffet, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Tastings, Gluten Free, No Pork, Vegan, Vegetarian

My fiancé and I had the pleasure of working with Margaret at Purple Onion Catering for our recent wedding at The Winery at Bull Run. From the time we did our first tasting, to the day of our wedding Purple Onion was accommodating and amazing. Our guests raved about the food and service Margaret and her team provided to our guests. We went the bacon wrapped sweet potatoes, mini crab cakes, chicken and waffle cones, and french onion soup bowls for the appetizers and they were all equally amazing. We also chose to do our cutting cake and mini desserts through Purple Onion, and it was so convenient to have everything come together. The cake was fantastic (the dark chocolate cake with raspberry filling was TO DIE FOR) and the mini desserts fit in with our style so perfectly. Our wedding day was memorable because of the amazing service provided by the team at Purple Onion Catering and I would recommend them for any even in the Northern Virginia area!!!

Profile Picture Kelly, 9/30/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, American, Vegetarian, Bartender(s), House Wine, Open Bar, Buffet, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s)

FOOD WAS AMAZING! SERVICE WAS INCREDIBLE! They were super accommodating and responsive. I loved it all!

Profile Picture Taryn, 9/15/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Vegetarian, Chairs, Tables, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, American, Italian

My husband and I got married this past weekend and we really couldn't have done it without Paige's team at Purple Onion. Our wedding was on Sept. 2 in Washington, D.C., and Purple Onion took care of pretty much everything! I was out of the country during most of the wedding planning process, but Paige made it so easy for us. She was super responsive and accommodating to all our needs. We had cocktail hour appetizers, three signature cocktails, a bubbly bar as well as a family-style dinner and DIY doughnut bar for dessert. Everyone raved about the food and drinks, and Purple Onion was wonderful at making sure my husband and I had our plates and glasses filled.

There was a forecast of rain on our wedding day and it poured all morning. We ended up moving the cocktail hour inside but we really wanted to keep the ceremony in the courtyard outdoors. The rain had mostly stopped by the afternoon and we decided to risk the rain and set up the ceremony outside about an hour before guests started arriving. Paige didn't skip a beat and her team was able to get everything ready with no problem!

If you're looking for a DC-area caterer, please don't hesitate in booking Purple Onion. We loved every minute of working with them and we know they'll be just as great for other couples.

Profile Picture Nikki, 9/2/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Chairs, Tables, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings, Vegetarian, Bartender(s), Signature Drink, American, Italian, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up

Working with Purple Onion Catering was such a wonderful experience for our wedding! Margaret took care of everything from A to Z. We met with her three times leading up to the wedding. The first time was for our tasting and all of the food was absolutely delicious! She offered us different ideas and suggestions based on our venue and the season of our wedding. The next time we met with her was for a meeting regarding decisions on details such as plate settings, silverware options, and linens. Margaret took her time with us and allowed us to explore all possible options. In the end, we loved our linens, plate settings (beautiful scalloped plates) and our silverware (gold plated!). The selections were bountiful and we had such a difficult but fun time choosing all of them. Finally, Margaret attended our walk through at the venue with the day of coordinator to make sure that everything was set in stone and ready for our big day.

On our wedding day, Margaret helped everything run so smoothly and made sure all of our guests were beyond taken care of. Our guests raved about the food! The passed appetizers were spectacular, especially the mini crab cakes! Purple Onion Catering assisted with the set-up of our reception and it was absolutely beautiful. Our cake was perfection and the mini desserts were out of this world!

We cannot say enough about Purple Onion Catering. They were absolutely amazing to work with and helped make our day absolutely perfect!

Profile Picture Stacy, 8/26/17, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Lactose Free, Nut Free, Buffet, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Server(s), Tastings, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), American

We had a great experience working with Purple Onion for our wedding last month at the Winery at Bull Run. Working with Margaret was a dream. She was so sweet and helpful throughout the entire process and has a great relationship with the folks at the winery since she works there often. I truly cannot believe the value at Purple Onion. The quality of the food, service, and equipment was amazing for the cost. I was pleasantly surprised by huge selection of gorgeous linens, china, and other equipment that were included in the base price. So many have people have told us that it was the most delicious food they've ever had at a wedding! I would absolutely recommend Purple Onion to anyone shopping for a caterer.

Profile Picture Amy, 8/5/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Bartender(s), Open Bar, Buffet, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up

​Purple onion catering was a huge hit our brunch wedding. These guys just get it...are well seasoned and well respected in the industry. We started with a mimosa bar and hors d'oeuvres (bacon wrapped sweet potato = win) and followed up with a buffet brunch (who doesn't love a giant pile of perfectly cooked bacon), and the eggs-benedict station for the win. The servers were incredibly helpful and considerate, helped set up decor in the morning and even added little votive candles that weren't part of my proposal. Special shout out to Joanie Rylander, Who kept the entire process stress-free and went so far as to help with transport with her own personal car. Her advice and guidance allowed us to cut the fluff and focus our budget on the things that really made our wedding memorable. (Not to mention she found my phone with my vows written on it right before I was going to walk down the aisle = life saver). Hats off to Purple Onion!

Profile Picture Katie, 6/29/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Chairs, Tables, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Stations, American, Southern, Lactose Free, Bartender(s), Open Bar

Purple Onion did an amazing job catering my wedding, I would recommend them a thousand times over. We had the good fortune of working with Joanie who was extremely organized and responsive throughout the whole planning process. And the food was all delicious! All my guests were raving about it at our wedding. Plus, the servers, bartenders, and kitchen staff were all wonderful. As a bride I was running around taking pictures on a hot day, but the servers always made sure to hand me a glass of water or appetizer whenever I had a free moment. It was much appreciated, and the type of attention to detail that you will get with Purple Onion Catering.

Profile Picture Emily, 6/10/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

Margaret and her team were an absolute pleasure to work with since day one! Over a month after my wedding at the Winery at Bull Run, my friends and family are still raving about the food that was served. The food was so fresh and perfectly prepared. I highly recommend using Purple Onion Catering and request Margaret, she is wonderful!

Profile Picture Kara, 5/20/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Buffet, Cake, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Chairs, Tables, American, Italian, Mediterranean, Bartender(s)

I can't say enough good things about Purple Onion! My husband and I were fortunate enough to work with Paige Bryan who was our Event Designer and Coordinator. From the very beginning Paige made the entire process so easy, seamless, and fun! She was a dream to work with. Our wedding day I didn't have to worry about a thing. Paige took care of everything including bringing drinks and food from the cocktail hour back for the entire wedding party to enjoy before we began wedding party pictures. She specifically had asked what my husband and I wanted to drink and eat to have waiting for us when the ceremony was over. Our guests raved about the food we served everything from the hors d'oeuvres, to the salad, dinner as well as the cake. We decided to get our cake through Purple Onion and it was incredible! You also can't beat the price. I can't stress enough how wonderful working with Purple Onion especially Paige was. Truly an incredible and fun experience!

Profile Picture Christina , 5/19/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

We are very excited to work with Purple Onion catering for our upcoming wedding in May! So far, they have been extremely helpful and professional and the food is absolutely amazing! We loved everything we had at our trial dinner!

Profile Picture Emily, 5/13/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

The moment I got my first email from Joanie with Purple Onion about catering our wedding I knew they were the right caterer for our us. The proposal they sent was unlike any others we had gotten, then we went to a tasting! The food is INCREDIBLE. Seriously, I am still getting comments from our guests about how great the food was, including the cake. Multiple guests came up to me during our reception to tell us how much they liked the food and had never asked for a second slice of wedding cake before.

Joanie was an amazing event planner, she was there from start to finish with an unmatched level of enthusiasm and knowledge, she even had suggestions about places to have our rehearsal dinner. She had great feedback about all the details and the best part was you do all your rentals through them too. The servers were professional and attentive, we even had a person assigned to us that made sure we ate! I'm talking we walked into our reception and were greeted with appetizers and drinks. Set up and break down were super quick, our reception looked great, the food was hot and delicious, I could go on and on. If you're thinking about hiring Purple Onion, don't hesitate!! It was the best decision we ever made!

Profile Picture Jane, 5/12/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

We picked Purple Onion because it was on a list of preferred vendors for our venue. It was the best thing I did for the wedding, they do it all, tables, chairs, plates, etc. plus the food is amazing. If you get lucky enough to get Paige Bryan as your wedding coordinator for the event you won't be disappointed, she made everything a breeze, and when I looked stressed out, she fixed it. I can't say enough good things about Paige and Purple Onion. We had compliments everywhere from everyone on the food and the ones who got back stage access (the wedding party) to Paige, couldn't stop raving about her either. Thank you, Purple Onion!

Profile Picture Hillary, 4/29/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Bartender(s), Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, American, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Chairs, Tables

We can't express how very much we loved Purple Onion Catering. From the moment that we met Margaret and her staff we knew we were in for only the best. At our initial tasting, we were greeted warmly with a sign at the door welcoming us and showed to a tasting room where we were given several options. Everything was fresh, well prepared and we had a hard time choosing which of the wonderful dishes to have for our guests.
Throughout the process Margaret was meticulous in helping us choose hors d'oeuvres, main dishes, cake and the perfect place settings.
On the day of our wedding, everything was executed so well and flawlessly. The food was delicious and well prepared. The staff was fantastic and accommodating. We had so many compliments on the food for our wedding. We don't think anything could have been better. Margaret was there on site to make sure everything went flawlessly.
We cannot recommend Margaret and Purple Onion enough!!! If you are searching for the perfect caterer and the freshest foods, look no further!

Profile Picture Zak, 4/9/17, 1 Review