Purple Onion Catering Company Reviews

Purple Onion Catering Company 6
Purple Onion Catering Company 7

Laura · Married on 12/30/2018

Perfect Execution

We worked with Margaret and her team for our Wedding on December 30th. The food and service were truly exceptional! All our guests commented that the food was delicious and couldn’t believe it was done by a catering company. We highly recommend working with them!

• Seamus

Seamus Niall Hooban · Married on 12/22/2018

Wonderful Winter Wedding - Powered by Purple Onion

THANK YOU Purple Onion for such an amazing night. You were amazing and everyone was raving about how much they loved the food and dessert (especially the Peppermint Ding Dongs!). Your team also deserves very special mention, they were on top of it all day/night and we really appreciate all of their hard work, their friendly demeanor and the way they went about their work without disrupting any of the festivities on-site.

A couple of key highlights/benefits to highlight:
    1. Margaret Z. is a top notch professional - immediately upon meeting with her, we were blown away by her preparedness and attention to detail
    2. Out of the 10+ vendors we evaluated, Purple Onion bubbled to the top on quality of food. Many were close, but from Passed hor d'ourves, to salads, to entrees all the way through dessert, the food was fantastic. I also loved how they had seasonal and local options available.
    3. Flexibility - Purple Onion facilitated ~10 meals for our guests who had food restrictions and for kids, and brought them special plated meals (we had buffet stations for other guests)
    4. Great thought partner - we obviously have little experience with getting married/weddings, Margaret and team were great thought partners as we brainstormed how to approach our big day and set up
    5. Lastly - day of, staff was just amazing. You will not find much better in the business, if at all!

We would recommend Purple Onion to all of our friends and family who is considering a catered event/wedding moving forward!

Thank you again for all of the time and help during the build up and for executing so flawlessly on Saturday. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Holiday and have a Happy New Year!

• Stefanie

Stefanie · Married on 11/04/2018

Amazing Food and Wonderful Staff!!!

Purple Onion was a PERFECT fit for our big day this fall. The food- both in taste and presentation- was amazing, the staff was wonderful, and they were so accommodating to our needs. Paige is seriously the best out there- she worked with me the whole time answering questions and helping with different ideas I came up with, all while keeping me calm and on track! Would 100% recommend them for your wedding!

• Allison

Allison · Married on 11/03/2018

Purple Onion is fantastic

I feel like it's so rare that everything about an event turns out exactly how you had hoped/planned, and Margaret and the rest of the Purple Onion staff were so integral in making that happen. Margaret was so involved during the planning and helped us create our vision. We are both so grateful for all of their help throughout the process and could not have done it without them. The food was great (and was so much better than what I've normally had at any wedding) and we are so glad we decided to use Purple Onion for our wedding.

Janis Jones · Married on 11/02/2018

Amazing Food and Service!

Everyone raved about the food at my daughter's wedding! Cocktail hour with passed hors d'oeuvres were in high demand - my advice is to order more than you think you need. They were so good, our guests could not get enough! The plated dinner was perfect. We had several guests with dietary restrictions and all were met with ease. The food was served hot and the presentation was beautiful. The wait staff was very responsive and the food was served in a very timely manner.

Natalie · Married on 11/02/2018

Best. Caterer. Ever.

The Purple Onion was an absolutely wonderful caterer. After the wedding that was the number one thing that all of my guests told me, that the food was fabulous! From the mini taco appetizers to the hot coco bar everything was absolutely perfect. The hardest part of the process was deciding what plate was our favorite! They made it so easy to accommodate for any and all dietary needs of our guests. Highly recommend The Purple Onion.

• Stephanie

Stephanie Koons · Married on 10/27/2018

Fabulous and delicious

Wonderful staff, excellent food choices, so easy to work with.

Jessica G. · Married on 10/27/2018

Great food!

I was impressed by the experience that Purple Onion offers couples. At our first appointment, my husband and I met Margot, the owner, and Margaret from her team talked with us while we sampled some items on their menu. This was different than the experiences we had with other caterers we were also considering. Margaret and the Purple Onion team was responsive and professional throughout the planning process! I love the fact that many of their menu items were vegetarian and gluten free, so that I didn't have to worry about having good food for some of our guests. The food served at our reception was delicious (especially the crab cakes and mini turtle tarts) and the staff was friendly and organized. I highly recommend Purple Onion!

Elizabeth · Married on 10/20/2018

Amazing Experience

I loved working with Margaret at Purple Onion! Everything came together so well and the food was AMAZING!! Food was super fresh and guests loved it. Guests said it was one of the first times they had chicken that was as good as the beef option. We did their mini desserts and a small cutting cake - which was super cute and everyone loved them!

• Debbie

Stone Tower Winery · Married on 10/19/2018

Absolutely DELICIOUS food for our daughter's wedding reception!!

Paige and her Team at Purple Onion Caterers in Vienna, VA were MAGNIFICENT!!!! The food was incredible, the service was outstanding, and the presentation was fantastic!!! We hired them for our daughter's wedding on 10.19.18 and couldn't have been happier!!! Now over 2 weeks later, we STILL have folks who attended, RAVING about the tasty food they prepared and served beautifully. PS - I'm quite certain we will hear raving comments about those short ribs forever!! Thank you, Purple Onion - we SO appreciated everything you did to make this a very special day for all of us!!! - Debbie Wicker :-)

Purple Onion Catering Company 8
    Purple Onion Catering Company 9
    Purple Onion Catering Company 10
  • Andy

Andy · Married on 10/13/2018

Excellent Service and Food!

Margaret was awesome and we would hire Purple Onion again for sure! They made everything very easy and took care of all the details. They helped us plan and had us come to their place for tasting and made that fun!

Purple Onion Catering Company 11
    Purple Onion Catering Company 12
    Purple Onion Catering Company 13
    Purple Onion Catering Company 14
  • Rick

Rick · Married on 10/06/2018

Hire Purple Onion for any event!

My husband and I got married in Washington, DC in October 2018. When planning our wedding, we hired Purple Onion as our caterer. Paige at Purple Onion was our contact, and she was amazing from day one. She worked with us on every challenge that came up, helped us choose all of the food, as well as all of the linens for the event. It was easy working with her, and she was always professional and fun to work with. On the day of the event, the entire Purple Onion staff was fantastic. They were always taking care of us and our guests. We heard from everyone at the wedding how good the food was and how friendly all of the Purple Onion staff was throughout the night. Thank you, Purple Onion, for everything! We highly recommend working them on any event.

KayC · Married on 09/15/2018

Terrific Experience

We worked with Margaret for our September wedding at Blue Valley. She was so enthusiastic, organized, and easy to work with. Her team was on top of everything, and from the beginning, planning with them was a breeze. Purple Onion has so many great food choices- our guests raved about the food. Margaret made us feel like royalty on our day, and everything was seamless. The table setting was gorgeous, the service was impeccable, and the food was delicious!

Amanda · Married on 09/14/2018

We worked with Brooke and fell in love with Purple Onion at our tasting. We really liked that it fit into our budget to do a plated dinner and that they included linens and table settings. They did such a great job on our wedding day with speediness between the salad and main course with serving and cleaning. It was so sweet that Brooke even took the time to come to our table to make sure we were happy with everything! Definitely recommend!

Cheryl · Married on 09/01/2018

The day was PERFECT! We got so many positive comments about the food I think everyone was stuffed. The lamp chops were great of course that's probably all I ate lol. We LOVE being married and am so glad we got to work with you. I did not get to try a late night snack =( but I heard it was delightful. Everything looked beautiful and the service was superb. You guys are so great at what you do I cold not have chose a better team. Thank you a million times over!

Rachel · Married on 08/19/2018

Kristen and Margaret were a pleasure to work with. The Purple Onion team served an attractive and delicious meal at our wedding. They were very organized throughout the planning process and made sure everything ran smoothly on the wedding day. Highly recommend!

• Kristin

Kristin · Married on 07/28/2018

We had an amazing experience working with Purple Onion Catering, and especially our Event Designer Paige! Catering was one of the highest priorities for our wedding. We had a unique and specific vision for not only the food itself, but also for the entire experience. Specifically, we wanted an Oktoberfest inspired wedding with themed small-plate-style food stations all around the room. We spoke to at least 8 catering companies attempting to describe our vision and give them an opportunity to come up with a plan to bring that vision to life. Paige and Purple Onion seemed to "get it" more than any of the others and nailed it right from the initial conversation and first proposed menu! We were so impressed right from the start and were even more impressed at our tasting. The food at the tasting simply blew us away and the tasting experience was incredibly professional. Paige continued to be wonderful to work with throughout the rest of the process. Purple Onion was able to deliver everything on our wedding day exactly as we had dreamed! The food was just as wonderful as we experienced at the tasting (which I know that cooking for a small tasting vs. 150 people can be completely different, but they absolutely pulled it off!) and our guests have been raving about how much they enjoyed the food and entire experience! We highly recommend Purple Onion Catering!

• The Nuptials

Loreal · Married on 07/14/2018

Paige killed it! We cannot thank her enough for all of the time and effort she put into our wedding. Paige met with me multiple times at the venue as our guest list was ever changing and she was right there to roll with the punches with us. In the end we had just over 100+ guests that PO treated to a fabulous black tie experience from pre ceremony champagne upon arrival, to 5 passed apps, and then a multi course meal. The multi course meal was something that another catering company had suggested to me, but the price wasn't right. Enter PO and the price was right! We started with a salad, then a sea bass (droooooool - husband had to have it!), and then a short rib. After dinner we had a 6 piece dessert bar and then late night snacks of tots, sliders, and fries. PO knocked it out of the park! People are still telling us how full they were and how tasty everything was - I keep getting asked about the sea bass in particular and fish can be difficult to keep the right temperature when serving the masses. Bravo, Paige and team! I would recommend PO to all of my friends!

plutzik robbins wedding guest list · Married on 07/07/2018

We used Purple Onion for my daughters wedding which was held July 7, 2018. They were amazing and we would highly recommend them. The food was so delicious and the presentation was beautiful!! They were very easy to work with -- very accommodating. Lovely staff, servers and bartenders. Margaret, thank you so much for all of your attention to every detail in my daughter's wedding. You made it very special!
    Carolyn and Alan Plutzik

Andres · Married on 06/24/2018

Margaret and Kristen at Purple Onion were simply Awesome!!!

Where to begin?...oh yes... Monica and I can not THANK YOU enough!

EVERYTHING WAS SPOT ON, from the way They paid attention and listened to us to their expertise and suggestions on what would look better on our wedding day!
    My family and friends were raving about how beautiful everything looked as well as the food, it was absolutely delicious...my mother could not stop talking about how tender and exquisite the short ribs were...
    What a team they make!.. Margaret, Kristen and her crew were absolutely outstanding, their attention to detail superb!

Again Thank You for taking care of Us and making our day even more special.

You are the Best!!!

Monica & Andres L.

Kate · Married on 06/23/2018

Working with Paige and her team at Purple Onion was wonderful - every detail was taken care of exactly as I had imagined, she provided great suggestions along the way, answered my millions of questions, and was just a true joy to work with. I wanted a family style meal, and while many caterers I talked to said I couldn't do it within my budget or I shouldn't do it because of XYZ, Paige said: "yes! Sounds great, here's what we can do." And pulled it off incredibly.

The wedding day was perfection, and Purple Onion played a major role in that - from rentals to staff to of course, the delicious food. And, importantly, they are a great value, especially for this area.

• Nadine

Nadine · Married on 06/23/2018

Since our wedding last month, everyone has been RAVING about our food. The passed hors d'oeuvres during the cocktail hour were delicious, but they were just the start.

The plated dinner was amazing. One reason they're awesome is because you can pick TWO proteins for the plated meal, so everyone got short rib AND chicken on their plate, along with mixed vegetables and mac and cheese. We knew that mac and cheese wasn't a typical plated wedding dish, but as soon as we tried it during our initial tasting, we knew we had to go with it. It was a huge hit; especially that along with the short rib.

We also had Purple Onion make our cake, which everyone loved. We can't wait to eat it again on our anniversary. (They will bake you a fresh, small cake on your one year anniversary, so you don't have to eat frozen, year old cake!)

In addition, Margaret was a pleasure to work with. Very accommodating and friendly the whole time. We are so happy we went with Purple Onion!

ALYSON · Married on 06/02/2018

Walking into our event hall on our wedding day, we were truly blown away - it was picture perfect - and JUST what we imagined! The food and service was simply amazing. The staff was wonderful - they were all professional but all so friendly and FUN. They fit perfectly into our wedding day! I am so glad we decided to work with Purple Onion Catering and have nothing but positive things to say about them!

Purple Onion Catering Company 15
    Purple Onion Catering Company 16
    Purple Onion Catering Company 17
    Purple Onion Catering Company 18

Renee · Married on 05/27/2018

Paige was fabulous to work with and made it a very easy and enjoyable experience. The food was delicious at the tasting and equally delicious at the wedding. The staff was great!