Purple Onion Catering Company Reviews

217 Reviews for Purple Onion Catering Company

• Josh

Josh R. · Getting married on 01/01/2022

Wonderful catering experience!

We used Purple Onion for our wedding at the National Museum of Women in the Arts, and it couldn't have gone better! Paige and her team were so kind and attentive to our needs (including the dietary restrictions of our guests), and everyone thought the food was delicious. Purple Onion really goes above and beyond on the quality of their food and their attention to detail; definitely hire them!

Sent on 02/02/2020

Cat P. · Getting married on 06/03/2021

Wonderful Company

Our experience working with Purple Onion was excellent. Food was terrific and service was superb.

Sent on 04/17/2019

Deirdre P. · Getting married on 06/03/2021

Outstanding Caterer

My daughter's wedding was at The Barns at Wolftrap in late March 2019. We worked with Margaret Zagrodniczek who was professional and responsive. The food was absolutely delicious especially the mango salsa on the beef and chicken. The appetizers and desserts were equally delicious! Everyone commented on the food.

We had wanted long rectangular tables instead of rounds so it would be easier for people to talk. Margaret created a suggested layout for the reception but I had my own ideas. She re-created, again and again, different table arrangements until ultimately, we decided on her original layout. Lesson learned: this woman knows her stuff so go with the professional.

I was amazed at the efficiency of the staff as they broke down the ceremony space and turned it into the reception space. Everything was switched over like magic. The wait staff was excellent including accommodating a last minute allergy, getting another plate for a guest. Margaret and the staff were aware of other allergies so those guests didn't feel singled out for their requests.

Margaret's attention to detail, her flexibility and the wonderfully delicious food that she represents made my daughter's wedding a day to remember.

Sent on 04/17/2019
  • Lauren

Lauren R. · Getting married on 05/10/2021

YUM! Such great food and service!

Kristen was amazing! She was with my now husband and I through every food decision. Our guests would stop by our table and remark how delicious the food was! Kristen and her staff made sure to let people listed with allergies know about what items to avoid. They also were so kind to modify one of our entrees to leave a few without cheese for our lactose intolerant guests. We had a brownie bar and hot chocolate for dessert- just amazing! It was such good food and service. I definitely recommend!

Sent on 10/20/2020
  • Bethany

Bethany L. · Married on 12/01/2020

Wonderful team to work with!

Purple Onion was a a joy to work with, they are very receptive and get back to you quickly. Rental options are so plentiful and the ladies we worked with are friendly and knowledgeable. And above all the food was FANTASTIC, and that is literally the main thing my guests talked about!

Sent on 01/23/2020

Emily · Married on 10/24/2020

True professionals

The Purple Onion team is excellent. I’d highly recommend them for a gathering of any size.

Paige, our main point-of-contact, was helpful, kind and professional at every stage, from inquiry through to execution. We had already planned a full menu for a 120-person wedding when COVID-19 struck, and Paige helped us pivot to a safer plan: a backyard microwedding. She and her team were extremely supportive, helping us develop a new menu that was appropriate for the season and a service plan that accommodated the reduced guest count.

Everyone in attendance agreed that the Purple Onion team made the day feel special, safe and seamless. They worked closely with our day-of planner to make sure service followed strict COVID-19 protocols and CDC guidance. Every course — from the fall salad to the braised short rib — was delicious, especially dessert. We asked them to create a couple different flavors of small, one-tier drip cakes in lieu of the traditional wedding cake and dessert bar we’d originally planned. The result was stunning. Even guests who don’t typically love cake went out of their way to tell us how much they enjoyed these particular cakes.

We’re so thankful for this team. They went above and beyond for us, navigating a totally unprecedented set of circumstances at a time when the concept of "business as usual" did not exist. Hire them!

Sent on 12/13/2020

Anne S. · Married on 09/26/2020

Amazing wedding planning and catering!!

Purple Onion Catering did an amazing job catering and planning our wedding details. Working with Margaret was a blessing as she was the calm voice that I needed while planning an altered covid wedding and she had an exceptional handle on the whole show, beginning to end. Even on the day of and while I was about to walk down the aisle, she came to me and asked if everything was ok, and made any changes that I thought were needed. Due to covid, we had some last minute changes to our wedding count and knowing it is a big no-no to change after the final count date, I had to and Margaret was so nice and accommodating. She was so sweet and I appreciated that she understood this was a crazy time for all of us.

Everyone complimented our wedding dinner and we loved it as well. The food came out hot and cooked perfectly and perfectly seasoned also!

Margaret worked with us for table scapes and made sure everything we needed the day of was included. Purple Onion and Margaret definitely know what they're doing!

Sent on 01/04/2021
  • Sarah

Sarah L. · Married on 09/16/2020

Delicious food, and so easy to work with

Paige and all the staff at Purple Onion were so wonderful with whom to work! I had a very busy schedule as a surgical resident when planning my wedding out of state, and they did everything they could to accommodate me! Our guests said that the food was the best wedding food they'd ever had as well! Paige takes all your preferences in food very seriously, and when we said no cilantro there wasn't a speck anywhere ;) They were also so flexible with the changes to our wedding date as we had to reschedule it THREE times due to COVID-19- and there were no extra or hidden fees due! Would absolutely recommend them and use Purple Onion all over again! Thank you SO much, Paige!!!

Sent on 09/24/2020

Emily P. · Married on 08/29/2020

Delish and cost effective!

Kristen and team at Purple Onion were so great to work with. We had to make many changes to our original plan due to COVID and they were super flexible and wonderful to work with throughout the whole process. The food was delicious - truly the best catering food I've ever had! Our guests raved about the food. And the cake was both beautiful and delicious. i would definitely recommend Purple Onion to anyone looking for a cost effective yet delicious caterer!

Sent on 09/01/2020
  • Nia

Nia H. · Married on 08/01/2020

Delicious Food, Beautiful Table Service and Amazing Service

I found purple onion through my venue's preferred list. They were the first catering company to contact me back with detailed information of the process. We visited for a tasting and they had a personalized sign for us with champagne and so much food! It was delicious. We later came back because we wanted to try the food one more time before we made our decision. The contract and payment was easy going. I recommend this vendor to anyone.

Sent on 10/10/2019

Lori R. · Married on 06/13/2020

Exactly what we wanted

The Purple Onion was the only caterer that was willing to do food only when our other plans fell through due to COVID. Kristin was responsive and more than willing to make suggestions as to what and how much to serve. She made changes in numbers and food up until a week before. We just had appetizers and fingers and the food was FABULOUS!!

Sent on 08/24/2020

Megan · Married on 11/23/2019

Great wedding food!

We were provided Purple Onion as a potential wedding caterer by our wedding planner (Pollyanna Events). The selection process was daunting, there was so many details to compare among vendors. We chose Purple Onion based on their food choices, preliminary quote, and our tasting. We had a tasting with two other caterers and Purple Onion was by far the best. We worked with Margaret. She had worked many events at our venue (Top of the Town) and put us at ease. We met with Margaret again for a tabletop decor selection meeting at their warehouse and again for a venue walk through. The contract process was the most detailed out of all of our wedding vendors, that was to be expected. I am very detail-oriented and tried to track too many details before finally accepting that Margaret knew what she was doing and trying to figure out a $50 change in pricing (for example) as we finalized things wasn’t worth my time or energy. It was tricky to understand who was in charge as we got closer to the wedding date and were trying to finalize the timing and floor plan of the reception, Purple Onion, the venue coordinator, or our wedding planner. That was just something I noticed, nothing bad happened. The food at the reception was great, we received many compliments on it. Margaret was right there and I felt confident that she had everything under control. Her staff was friendly and efficient. They kept things moving. Margaret was friendly, efficient, and excited for us. The food was great, we were happy with the service and the amount we paid. We highly recommend Purple Onion.

Sent on 01/18/2020
  • Anatasia

Anatasia R. · Married on 11/16/2019

Flawless Service!

Purple Onion was amazing! From the tasting to the service at the actual wedding - the service was absolutely flawless and seamless. Margaret is the best! She took all the stress away and went above and beyond to make sure the wedding and service flowed perfectly. She made our dreams come true. I was truly stunned when I saw our venue set up. Margaret made sure to account for all our needs and helped tailor the wedding to exactly what we wanted. She really cares about her clients and on a personal note, it was a blast working with her and a blessing to have her! I highly recommend Purple Onion. The food is great - we had vegans and allergies to look out for and Purple Onion offered a great selection and variety to account for everyone. The staff was pleasant, organized, and the service was impeccable. Thank you Purple Onion & Margaret for making our wedding UNFORGETTABLE! :)

Sent on 11/25/2019
  • Ashleigh

Ashleigh · Married on 11/01/2019

Wonderful experience!

We are so happy with our experience with Purple Onion. Our wedding was at the Winery at Bull Run and we planned our wedding in less than 3 months! We really had no idea what to expect and were nervous about the short timeline but Margaret made us feel taken care of every step of the way. We ended up going with a buffet option and the food was fantastic! Our guests are still talking it!! Don’t even get me started on the cupcakes (amazing!) the peanut butter and jelly cupcake was our favorite.

The only sad thing that happened was our small cake somehow got lost and never made it back home with us. When spoke with Margaret after the wedding to let her know what happened she said they would make us a brand new cake so we would still be able to celebrate our anniversary with a slice!

Thank you so much Purple Onion for helping to make our special day so special!

Sent on 11/14/2019
  • Jillian

Jillian L. · Married on 10/26/2019

So Worth It

I'm not going to lie, this wasn't an inexpensive option. The most important thing for us to provide to our wedding guests was great food. Purple Onion delivered, ten fold. The team is so professional and the food is so delicious, to me it was worth every cent. I got to customize everything down to the Mac and Cheese bar, which people still mention to me to this day. The servers were so high quality, fast and responsive, you can tell they have this down to a science. If you want to sleep well at night knowing your guests will be blown away by your food and everything will be handled for you on your big day, hire Purple Onion, you won't regret it.

Sent on 05/04/2020
  • Whitney

Whitney F. · Married on 10/05/2019

Pick Purple Onion!

Hiring Purple Onion was one of the best decisions we could have made for our big day. Paige and Anna were amazing and made our vision come to life better than we ever could have imagined. The food was delicious and everyone loved the signature cocktails. Highly recommend!

Sent on 10/07/2019

Patti A. · Married on 09/29/2019

Patti Hall

My husband and I got married at the The Winery at Bull Run on September 29, 2019.
    The Purple Onion catered our wedding and wow,
    Margaret and her team blew us out of the water. Margaret, is so well organized and anticipates your needs....before you even realize it. She and her team were amazing to work with, the food was excellent. My guests raved about the Mac & Cheese and the cider donut bar. I truly felt relaxed because I know my wedding was in great hands thanks to Margaret.
    We can’t thank this team enough for making our wedding so wonderful and for paying close attention to details. The reception room and cocktail hour were gorgeous.
    Thank you! We can’t thank you enough.

Patti Allison

Sent on 10/05/2019
  • Jhoan

Jhoan · Married on 09/20/2019

Very Satisfied :)

My partner and I were very happy that we chose Purple Onion as our caterer for our wedding. Margaret was always there to answer our questions since day 1 up until the day of the wedding. It was such a breeze working with her. The food was absolutely delicious that some our friends still talk about it whenever we talk about our wedding day. The staff was pleasant and the dinner set up was beautiful too. We totally recommend them!

Sent on 11/06/2019

Bz · Married on 09/14/2019

Great Reception from Start to Finish

Great value and easy to work with! Purple Onion was one of the preferred vendors for our wedding reception at Wolf Trap in September and we were so happy with the results. After doing tastings with 2-3 other vendors, my fiancé and I decided that the quality of food, rental options, and price offered by Purple Onion was perfect for our needs. We worked with Margaret through every step of the process, and we could not have been happier with our experience. Not only did Margaret’s experience create a smooth planning process, but she was willing to go the extra mile and suggest solutions to other ideas we had for our big day. Our wedding reception could not have gone better. Great food, yummy snacks, beautiful cake, perfect rentals to fit the décor, and a staff who created a wonderful night for us and our guests.

Sent on 11/08/2019
  • Kimie

Kristina V. · Married on 09/07/2019

Hard work and dedication

We were recently married and wanted to share our amazing experience with Purple Onion. During our initial search, we spoke to and sampled multiple catering services. We also scoured through countless online reviews and found Purple Onion to be on top of every list available.
    While Purple Onion offers an extensive selection that were high-quality, elegant and delicious, we attribute our stress-free experience to Brooke’s exceptional support. She worked tirelessly from day 1 to the end of the event to ensure every detail (no matter how small) was perfect. She’s been responsive to all my questions (and there were a lot) and provided great recommendations based on her extensive experience.
    One instance I wanted to share occurred during the beginning of cocktail hour. I was able to quickly step away from the commotion to take a peek at dinner preparations and in my walk-thru, noticed Brooke thoroughly engaged & focused; ensuring every individual dish was ideally plated (even down to the amount of salad dressing served to keep ingredients fresh). As I made my way back to the event a few minutes later, Brooke quietly approached me with a plate full of my favorite hor d'oeuvres (she wanted to make sure I enjoyed them before the long evening ahead)! While these might seem like very small gestures, it meant everything to me knowing she was doing a fantastic job and allowing me to enjoy quality time with family and friends.
    Thanks to Brooke and the team (from the captain, to the servers and bartenders) for making our wedding day so memorable. It likely wouldn’t have been so perfect without all her hard work and dedication. For those interested in having your wedding or special event catered, not only will you (and your guests) enjoy an amazing meal but you’ll also work alongside a very talented professional, like Brooke. We definitely recommend!

Sent on 10/07/2019

Mimi C. · Married on 09/01/2019

Purple Onion Catering Saved the Day!

When we booked a venue for my daughter and her fiance's wedding a year in advance, I immediately started looking for a caterer. We needed a company that would not only cater an all vegan wedding, but one that would customize recipes selected by my daughter and her fiance from my vegan cooking classes. Although most caterers offer some vegan options, few are willing to customize an entire menu.

Six months and 8 caterers later, our venue kindly referred me to Purple Onion Catering in Vienna, VA. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I was encouraged when I talked to Kristen. A former chef at Purple Onion. she later became vegan and continued to work there as an event coordinator. Best of both worlds!

Kristen and her staff were excited about our vision to have an entire dairy-free and gluten-free cheese table including Miyoko's, Follow Your Heart, Daiya, and Field Roast cheeses, Edward & Sons Rice Snaps crackers, Divina dolmas, and organic grapes and dates. Prior to the tasting, I gave the chefs my vegan recipes including my homemade seitan recipe (along with a sample to taste) for our Teriyaki Kebabs. Never having tasted these recipes before, the chefs couldn't guarantee that their dishes would taste exactly like mine, but they sure came close! We all left the tasting feeling like we were in capable hands.

Kristen and her staff were consummate professionals. Kristen responded to all of my emails with 1 - 2 days. Her demeanor was relaxed and accommodating, which struck a good balance with my high anxiety. She was extremely thorough and organized, and she left no stone unturned in the planning stages, which made executing everything go smoothly on the day of the wedding. Our guests loved the 3 hors d'oeuvres, the 5 buffet lunch dishes, the vegan cupcakes, and the fresh organic fruit. Some of our guests are still talking about the non-dairy cheese table, which our niece jokingly called the "table of lies."

Purple Onion Catering will be our first choice should we need to cater any future events.

Mimi
    Mother of the bride

Sent on 09/15/2019

Rachel · Married on 09/01/2019

Excellent food & went above and beyond day-of

We had an extremely positive experience with Brooke and the Purple Onion team for our wedding this month. Throughout the process Brooke was patient, helpful, and friendly, building a menu, updating the menu (several times...), and planning out the day-of schedule. We were so happy with the support setting up the reception area and the tables looked beautiful. The servers couldn't have been kinder and made sure my husband and I had some food throughout the event.

Finally, the food was excellent! They made a custom menu item for us that turned out well, and everything from the chicken entree to the vegan potato cakes received compliments from our guests.

Would highly recommend Purple Onion!

Sent on 09/24/2019
  • Ann

Ann B. · Married on 08/24/2019

Purple Onion Went Above And Beyond

We worked with Margaret to plan our wedding, from the start she was excited to work with us and extremely helpful! She answered all of our questions and did an excellent job planning everything out. The day of crew were superstars! They set up our rentals and all our decor, they made our venue look even more beautiful. The food was excellent and many of our guests commented on how delicious and impressive the dinner was. The service during dinner was superb, each of our guests were taken care of and everything was seamless. Purple Onion exceeded all of our expectations and made our special day really beautiful.

Sent on 08/26/2019

Shea · Married on 08/17/2019

Amazing Caterer

We inquired about 10 catering quotes before narrowing it down to two for tastings. In the end, we chose Purple Onion primarily due to our catering manager, Paige. She was very experienced working with our venue and was extremely accommodating in the rental and catering process. Purple Onion’s food and service was far better than the other company we tried although not cheaper. The selection of appetizers was wonderful. We also appreciated that we could bring our own mixers (sodas, juices) and alcohol. We were able to save a good amount this way although the shopping and transportation wasn’t our favorite part of our wedding! :) Purple Onion provided their suggested quantities to buy of everything. While their suggestions ended up being about 2x what we ended up needing, we were able to return some of the excess and save even more. If your budget allows, I’d suggest just leaving it up to Purple Onion to avoid the hassle. I really appreciated the rentals meetings. Purple Onion suggests a company for rentals with very reasonable rates but when they didn’t have everything to meet my vision, Paige brought in items from a second rental company to complete the look. It was really above and beyond. On the day of our wedding, the server that I met was very professional and polite. I would certainly suggest Purple Onion and Paige specifically.

Sent on 09/09/2019
  • Anna

Anna · Married on 07/27/2019

Well-executed, professional, delicious!

We highly recommend Purple Onion for wedding catering! It was wonderful to work with them Paige made the entire process so easy for us! She was relatable, had a sense of our style, and made excellent recommendations to us. As we got further along in planning, it really felt like if catering does not run smoothly at a reception, it can really effect the entire experience and the Purple Onion did not disappoint! Our wedding ran so smoothly and everything was timed perfectly. Our guests loved the menu we created from our tasting and we really appreciate how helpful Purple Onion was with all dietary restrictions. We had guests who were gluten free, vegetarian, and had shellfish allergies, and they were able to accommodate all of this so everyone enjoyed dinner. We are genuinely impressed with their food, service, and planning!

Sent on 09/03/2019