Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co. Reviews

54 | Salem, VA

54 Reviews for Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.

• Alexandra

Alexandra Gibson · Married on 10/24/2020

Great Experience and Great Value!

The search for a caterer for our wedding (approx. 125 guests) was a daunting task, as we didn't want to blow our budget on food but also wanted to have a nice meal. Carla and her team at Pumpernickel Pickle worked diligently with us to customize our menu within our budget. They were very attentive to details, and easy to communicate with. We even had last minute adjustments to our guest count and it wasn't a problem. On the day of, the food was just as amazing as it was during our tasting. The staff were very friendly and helpful during the entire reception (we also had a dessert bar). I would 10/10 recommend Pumpernickel Pickle for your catering needs!

Sent on 10/28/2020
  • Mariah

Mariah Hughes · Married on 01/11/2020

Mouthwatering Food

Pumpernickel Pickle was absolutely amazing. They provided the most amazing menu and all of my guests commented on how wonderful it tasted. The service to the bride and the groom was also astounding. We didnt have to lift a finger for more refills or food.

Sent on 02/12/2020
  • Kimberly

Kimberly Ann · Married on 09/21/2019

One happy pickle!

Let's face it--your caterer is probably one of your most, if not the most important vendor of your day. At the end of the day, your guests will remember if they liked the food or not. Cue the pressure to find the best caterer--and you'll find it with Pumpernickel Pickle. I fell in love with Pumpernickel Pickle after the first email--they were honest and upfront with prices and really worked with me to have exactly the menu I wanted. They are creative with their dishes (um hellooooo maple donut and chicken bites and my custom Harry Potter dessert bar complete with butterbeer shooters) and their food is DELICIOUS. Seriously, my now mother-in-law is probably the pickiest person on this planet and a food snob and she COMPLIMENTED me on the caterer. Everyone said the food was tasty and they were impressed with the staff who were super friendly and professional. I've been engaged for over two years (thanks grad school) and anytime a little question popped in my head, PP was quick to respond and never made me feel like a bugaboo. They helped me figure out logistics like how much alcohol to buy to how to figure out napkins (because apparently napkins are something you care about when you plan weddings). I can't sing their praises enough, shoutout to Sarah Pendleton, one of the owners for being so attentive, she's one of the best people on the planet and with her you'll be in great hands. So stop your search and book PP--you won't regret it.

Sent on 10/11/2019
  • John

John Tran · Married on 09/21/2019

Awesome caterer!

Pumpernickel Pickle did a fantastic job with the catering for our wedding, and our guests can't stop raving to us about (a) how good the food was and (b) how courteous the staff was at their beck and call. They were a joy to work with, and their twist on traditional food fare was a welcome appreciation in southwest Virginia. There's absolutely nothing we would change about our catering, and we would happily recommend PP to our friends and family!

Sent on 10/20/2019

Molly · Married on 09/01/2019

delicious and professional

We had the pleasure of having Pumpernickel Pickle cater our wedding. The food was delicious--people kept commenting that it was the best food they had ever had at a wedding. The brisket and chicken were super tender. The staff were very accommodating and looked out for us all night to make sure we were fed. We would love to work with them and eat their delicious food again!

Sent on 09/03/2019
  • Richard

Richard Harris · Married on 05/11/2019

Excellent caterer

Pumpernickel Pickle was an excellent caterer for our wedding. The food was very tasty, especially the mac-n-cheese! They were prompt in their responses and accommodating throughout. Their prices were quite reasonable and they had numerous delicious options to select. The display and service was very nice and professional during the reception.

Sent on 06/11/2019

Kitty · Married on 09/01/2018

Pumpernickel Pickle is the best! I was an out of town bride and was unable set up a tasting or even meet with Sarah until the weekend of the wedding, but they were so helpful via email during my engagement that I had no worries at all on wedding day. I felt that their prices were very reasonable, the staff was helpful and friendly, and the food was delicious! I still have guests complimenting the food.

Sarah is a gem to work with, she is so friendly and informative. She also collects vintage furniture and rents it to her clients, which added some extra glam to our reception. When we met the Wednesday before my wedding, we chatted like old friends- she has such a warm personality! I loved working with her and can't recommend PP enough.

Sent on 09/12/2018

Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.'s reply:

Kitty! I actually for real miss seeing you in my inbox. I can't tell you how special it is to get to be a part of such a wonderful day with wonderful brides like you. Thank you for the love and thank you for becoming my friend:)
  • Erica

Erica · Married on 06/16/2018

The Pumpernickel Pickle team catered my wedding in June 2018 and did an amazing job! They were so flexible, prompt with communication, and the food was outstanding! We received so many compliments from our guests on the food at the reception. We did a tasting in advance to choose the appetizers and main course, and they were very accommodating to the small changes we requested to make the reception meal everything we wanted it to be. Their serving staff was very attentive to the guests all night, making sure that everyone had what they wanted. We are so grateful for all their hard work and delicious food, and we are looking forward to having them cater my sister’s wedding in a few months!

Sent on 08/02/2018

Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.'s reply:

Erica thank you so much for taking the time to send us the love! It was an absolute pleasure to take care of you and your family and friends! We also can't wait to see you again at your sis's wedding!!! Big hugs! Pickle Team
  • Malabran2017

Micaela · Married on 10/28/2017

Pumpernickel Pickle is amazing! My husband and I used them for our wedding in October and both the food and the service were phenomenal! Throughout the planning process Sarah and Willie were very flexible to work with. They replied quickly to any questions we had and went out of their way to accommodate us. My husband was unable to make it to our tasting, but Sarah and Willie were kind enough to send some home with me so he could taste it for himself. Our guests LOVED the food. That is one thing everyone raved about and that we repeatedly heard from every guest we spoke to after the wedding. The wait staff was so nice and very professional. They did an excellent job keeping everything up and making sure everything looked nice! Overall we were very pleased with the service and would definitely recommend them to everyone!

Sent on 12/11/2017

Jennifer · Married on 06/08/2017

Wow, this company gets everything right! Their entire staff is truly the kindest and most professional. The process from communicating with them to the food setup/cleanup was so simple and easy. And ohhh the food is AMAZING! I so wish they had a restaurant cause we would be driving the hour or so one-way almost daily. If you don't get the mac-n-cheese you're making the biggest mistake of your life, it's truly that good! This company is flawless and I wish them nothing but success! I will be going out of my way to find another event for them to cater :)

Sent on 06/13/2017

Cindy · Married on 05/28/2017

We used Pumpernickel Pickle for our daughters wedding last weekend, 5/28/17. They were great to work with. The food was delicious and their waiters and bartenders were friendly and helpful. They packed up our leftovers for us and cleaned up quickly and quietly so we could be out of the venue on time. They have lots of different food choices and can accommodate any special dietary needs. I would recommend them to anyone in the Roanoke Valley.

Sent on 06/03/2017

Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.'s reply:

Cindy, it was our pleasure! It is always easy taking care of such nice people:) Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Sarah

Roger · Married on 05/28/2017

Pumpernickel Pickle did a fantastic job catering our wedding! The tasting they provided for us easily cemented them as our choice among the other caterers we were considering. Not only is their food outstanding, but their prices are unbeatable! They were very friendly, helpful, and professional throughout the entire process, and we will use them again for any future events we need catered.

Sent on 09/19/2017

Callie · Married on 04/29/2017

Pumpernickel Pickle was absolutely amazing to work with! Sarah and Willie were so helpful and flexible. They responded quickly to any questions we had. My husband and I tried some of the more adventurous food at our tasting. We didn’t see the point in tasting something we’d had a billion times before. It was totally worth it! My husband fell in love with the maple chicken doughnuts- Willie and Sarah even helped me surprise him with some more for Valentine’s day! They were so sweet to help me with that. He loved it. We ended up having beef brisket croquets, maple chicken doughnuts, fruit, and bruschetta as appetizers. Bourbon whipped sweet potatoes, grilled veggies, smoked gouda mac and cheese, salad, coffee rubbed New York strip steak, and lemon basil chicken for dinner. They made our wedding cake, which was a simple vanilla and actually pretty good. I’m not a huge fan of cake so we also had two types of pie and two types of cheesecake. All of the food was fresh and absolutely delicious! There was plenty for all of our 150 guests and we even had a few leftovers. I highly recommend Pumpernickel Pickle to anyone. They are awesome!

Sent on 07/08/2017

Shawde · Married on 10/08/2016

Best wedding food and menu EVER! I just got married and had the pleasure of working with Sarah. She is so accommodating and really knows how to help your vision come to life through food. Each and everyone of our guests were so pleased, some were even trying to figure the recipe because they loved it so much. And the best bonus, they are extremely affordable. Thank you Pumpernickle for making our dreams come true!

Sent on 10/14/2016

Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.'s reply:

Shawde you are so kind and it was our pleasure! I can not WAIT to see those pictures !!!!!

Shianne · Married on 10/08/2016

I recently had the opportunity to work with Sarah and Willie at Pumpernickel Pickle in order to perform the catering services at my wedding. As a bride, I highly recommend Pumpernickel Pickle catering for weddings and other events as they are highly accommodating, personable, and kind. Additionally, the food was phenomenal including the taste, the quantity, and the appearance which was perfectly paired with the vintage china package. I sincerely appreciate all of Sarah and Willie's genuine loyalty and patience, as well as the kind staff, to ensure that my wedding day was the best day of my life thus far!

Sent on 12/12/2016

Heather · Married on 09/24/2016

If you want great food, great service, and more help than you can imagine, you've come to the right place! They went out of their way to make sure us and our guests were enjoying the food. Also, we rented our serving ware and furniture from them which gave the extra touches we wanted. I just wish my dress wasn't so tight and I could have ate more! Don't even think twice, book PP ASAP!

Sent on 10/04/2016

Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.'s reply:

Heather!!! This is so very awesome and kind of you. It makes our day to get such wonderful feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time to send the love, and for choosing us to share your special day:)

Taylor · Married on 08/20/2016

Pumpernickel Pickle is the BEST. They are so nice and easy to work with plus their food is amazing! We didn't meet with any other vendors after we met with them because we knew we would be in good hands! They are super responsive to emails and make sure that you have everything the way you want it! Plus, they have awesome furniture you can use! You won't regret working with this amazing company! Everyone had great things to say about the service and food on our wedding day!

Sent on 09/22/2016

Marlene · Married on 08/06/2016

We loved using Pumpernickle Pickle to cater our daughter's wedding reception. They were great to work with as well as provided excellent food and service the evening of the event. They were quick with a response and followup based upon small changes that my daughter requested. They were also very accommodating for a few guests that had dietary restrictions by providing options for them as well. Highly recommend them!!

Sent on 09/16/2016

Christelle · Married on 06/25/2016

The choice for a caterer was one we needed to explore when planning the wedding. Pumpernickle Pickle was not the first vendor we met with but after spending an hour with them we knew our decision had been made. Willie and Sarah are phenomenal!
    They listened to my daughters thoughts and ideas and then just expanded on them. They met with us on our time schedules, they always responded promptly to texts and emails and answered all our questions. The creativity Sarah brings to their services is amazing, the vintage furniture she has available only adds to the beautiful presentation of the delicious food they offer. Their staff is great as well. It made me smile at the end of the evening when I noticed the staff with extra glow necklaces around their necks as they were cleaning up, having fun as they worked.They were kind, efficient but never in the way! Working with this vendor was a real pleasure and their kindness only added to their wonderful product.

Sent on 08/23/2016

Georgianna · Married on 05/28/2016

I can't rate these guys high enough. There was PLENTY of staff, the food was great, and they're a joy to work with! Absolutely loved them, start to finish. I couldn't imagine working with anyone else. Willie and Sarah are TOP notch! Get the crabcakes as your app.. you won't regret it.

Sent on 06/09/2016
  • User5202516 · 2+ years ago

I absolutely loved working with Pumpernickel Pickle and their staff. They were responsive and always willing to go the extra mile. They also were very knowledgeable in other areas of wedding planners and made great suggestions as well! The food was great -- and offered tastings which was important to my husband and I. Where we instantly fell in love. They definitely know what they're doing and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for any wedding! They'll make it happen!

Sent on 06/09/2016

Carmella · Married on 05/07/2016

Pumpernickel Pickle was absolutely the most wonderful choice I could have made when selecting a caterer for our wedding. Sarah and Willie were quick to respond to any inquiries I had, the food was incredible, and their staff and service the day of was impeccable. Our guests raved about the food for weeks after, even requesting recipes for various dishes PP served that day. To top it off, we had PP do flaming donuts and ice cream during dessert, and we're still hearing about how it was the best dessert our guests have ever had at a wedding! Pricing was so reasonable!! Please do yourself a favor and book with PP.

Sent on 05/08/2017

I have been working with these folks for almost a year now, and our wedding is set for Oct 2015. We have been chatting online discussing payment, menu etc. I attended the Roanoke, Virginia Wedding Show, where I was finally able to meet Chef Will and his staff. I was able to taste a few treats, and so far so good. The service is excellent, and they will work with you. Now its time for the main event in October, keeping my fingers crossed everything will be perfect!

Sent on 02/03/2015

Ariana · Married on 10/03/2015

Sarah and Willie from Pumpernickel Pickle catered our October 3, 2015 wedding at Silver Hearth Lodge. From the first time we met them in person (for our tasting), my husband and I absolutely loved these two. Willie is the master chef and Sarah is the awesome event planner. They make a great team and are very genuine people, not to mention professional, flexible, and some of the BEST at what they do. They were willing to make what is typically an appetizer in to one of our main entrees (chicken and waffles) and it was scrumptious! So many of our wedding guests commented on how this was the best wedding food they'd ever tasted. We did sliders and ham biscuits for cocktail hour and then our other main entree besides chicken and waffles was beef brisket. Our sides were mac and cheese (the best ever), roasted potatoes, and roasted veggies. It was all perfection. Pumpernickel also provided the bartenders and bar service for our wedding. The two bartenders were the hits of the reception! They made our signature cocktails as well as serving beer and wine, and all of the guests loved them. I also need to add that our wedding, which was originally planned to be outdoors, happened on a day when a hurricane came through town. We were honestly worried that vendors and guests wouldn't be able to make it up the mountain to the venue! But Sarah and Willie were with us the entire way, reassuring us that everything would be fine and that they were going to make everything happen just as we had planned. And they did! Sarah was helpful beyond words in the months leading up to the wedding. I must have asked her a million questions and sent just as many emails, but she was always so easy to work with, so willing to calm my anxieties, and just a friendly, fun person to have on our team. Definitely recommend PP and would use them again!!

Sent on 12/30/2015

Pumpernickel Pickle Catering Co.'s reply:

Thank you so very much for sharing this on Wedding Wire. We truly can not thank you enough for choosing the Pickle and for being just darn amazing. It was our pleasure and you and your e-mails will always remain dear to my heart. I don't think I will ever erase them! haha

Yours,

Sarah

Betsy · Married on 07/11/2015

Amazing people to work with and excellent food! Highly recommend them for your big day!

Sent on 07/13/2015