Paradox Pastry Reviews

Paradox Pastry 5
Paradox Pastry 6
Paradox Pastry 7

Leah · Married on 06/30/2018

We met Jenny for our cake tasting and instantly fell in love with her friendly personality, talent, and passion for her cakes! Our family loved every cake we tasted, but we ended up choosing the Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake that was absolutely delicious. Jenny checked in before our wedding to solidify all of the final details. She created the cake exactly how I envisioned it! She was professional, timely, and so talented! We can’t wait to have the rest of our cake on our one year anniversary :)

Paradox Pastry 8
    Paradox Pastry 9
    Paradox Pastry 10
  • starrEknight

Jackie · Married on 04/28/2018

Yumm! Jenny and The Sugaristas at Paradox Pastry are fantastic! Their creations are not only beautiful but are also absolutely delicious! Jenny is actually a family friend and so it wasn't difficult for me to decide on what vendor we would be using for our wedding cake as she is wonderful and so are all of Paradox Pastry's creations! We had previously had the Chocolate Guinness Cake and knew it was one of our favorites so had to had it as a sheet cake for our guests; however we wanted to do something a little lighter and more traditional for our cutting cake, plus I didn't want to worry about chocolate in between my teeth for photos :) We decided to go with the Italian Creme which is AMAZING! I can honestly say this because even all my uncles who know Jenny and have had the Chocolate Guinness before now say the Italian Creme is their favorite! Our wedding theme was classic with subtle art deco glam and the wedding cake design was perfect! Jenny actually utilized photos of my dress and our invitation suite to come up with the designs and it was the perfect compliment to our theme right next to the champagne tower at our cake table. Do yourself a favor and get on Jenny's list for a consultation about your special day, you will not be disappointed! Well, unless like me you literally only got to eat your one bit from the cake cutting and are now craving more and waiting to consume your anniversary tier :)

Paradox Pastry 11
    Paradox Pastry 12
    Paradox Pastry 13
    Paradox Pastry 14
    Paradox Pastry 15

Axelle · Married on 02/18/2018

I never dreamed of having a wedding cake--I always thought it would be outside of my budget but when my cousin told me he was gifting me a cake a few weeks before my wedding I was so overwhelmed I had no idea what I wanted, what flavor, or who to go to. My cousin found paradox and right away (on super short notice!) they were willing and excited to help. I showed (emailed) the head baker a few photos, she asked me if I wanted it to be a surprise (yes! I wanted at least one *good* surprise at my wedding) and when I arrived, there it was looking PERFECT and delicious. While I never actually had any cake my guests all said it was fantastic. The real testament to how amazing Paradox is, though, is how thoughtful and kind all of my cousin and my's interactions were with the bakers and how willing they were to help out on such short notice. Absolutely amazing. Thank you so so much!

Kelly · Married on 10/28/2017

YUM! Best word to discribe Jenny’s confectionary creations! First, Jenny is fabulous! She is full of energy and nice! We loved her the moment we met her. For our tasting appointment, we tried lots of delicious hand pies, cookies, tarts, cakes and the BTDM brownie. We knew we wanted a red velvet cake for our wedding cake, but also ended up doing a dessert table because everything was so delicious! Our wedding cake was dense but super moist, with an amazing cream cheese frosting. She also made us a killer gluten free German chocolate cupcake which made all our GF guests super happy. She was also able to accommodate the vegans too. Our guests loved having wonderful sweets to snack on as they danced the night away! Jenny gifted a top tier of our cake for us to freeze for our 1 year anniversary! I think of that cake in our freezer often. Makes me excited for our anniversary! When we visit Charlottesville, we always pop in for a delicious sweet. I highly recommend Jenny and the team at Paradox Pastry! You and your guests won’t be disappointed!

Paradox Pastry 16
    Paradox Pastry 17
    Paradox Pastry 18
    Paradox Pastry 19
    Paradox Pastry 20
    Paradox Pastry 21

Ginny · Married on 09/23/2017

Jenny and her team made lovely French macarons for my Charlottesville wedding. She went above and beyond to try out a new recipe to create a pear flavor for us. The macarons were a huge hit, they tasted great and were absolutely gorgeous. Can't recommend Paradox enough!

Kelsey · Married on 09/23/2017

We came to Paradox looking for a wedding cake AND wedding pies. They went above and beyond to work within our budget while creating a dessert table that looked beautiful and cohesive, with a gorgeous cake adorned with berries in the center of various flavors of fruit (and other) pies. But they weren’t just for show – every thing was delicious, and our wedding guests loved it!

Paradox Pastry 22

Sarah · Married on 09/03/2017

I cannot say enough good things about Paradox Pastry and Jenny. We had a dessert bar for our wedding - and wow - one goodie was just better than the other. Everything was so delicious that friends were trying to take to go bags on their way out of the wedding. Not only that everything is reasonably priced and working with Jenny and her staff is like working with a good friend. They're reliable, professional, and provide the best tasting desserts in Charlottesville. Look no further and schedule a tasting with Jenny immediately. You will not be disappointed.

Paradox Pastry 23

Nicole · Married on 06/18/2016

I can't say enough positive things about Jenny at Paradox Pastry! My sister used her in 2011 for her wedding cake and it was one of the most beautiful cakes I'd ever seen and it was also delicious! I knew when I got engaged I would definitely want my wedding cake from Paradox Pastry! Jenny has such a bubbly personality and she does AMAZING work! My cake was absolutely GORGEOUS! Jenny had so many great ideas and was just so fun to work with. My guest were raving about the look and taste of my cake! There wasn't a single piece that didn't get eaten. It was so pretty I almost didn't want to cut into it! I'm counting down the days to be able to eat my anniversary cake that she provided. Thanks again Jenny!!

Sent on 07/10/2016

Paradox Pastry's reply:

Thank you SO much, Nicole! I'm so glad you received as much joy from your cake as we did in creating it for you all! What a spectacular day you had filled with love, sunshine and... cake! :-)
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 06/11/2016

Where do I even begin? Jenny's work is both amazingly delicious and extremely beautiful. We had mini pies at our wedding and they were a HUGE hit. The chocolate walnut pie is worth living for. Not only that, but her prices are extremely reasonable and she is an absolute dream to work with.

Sent on 06/12/2016

Paradox Pastry's reply:

Thanks so much Sarah! It was so exciting to see your wedding vision as a reality - everything looked gorgeous! And thanks for the "props" on the walnut cream tart... you know how I feel about THAT one. :-)

Jenna · Married on 03/19/2016

Jenny and her team were some of the funnest vendors we worked it. Starting with the tasting, I knew we would want to go with Paradox. The tasting was very fun, there were several options, and it felt laid back but professional at the same time. We decided to go with a Guinness Stout Chocolate, three tiered, buttercream cake decorated with flowers. Jenny also helped me surprise my groom with a WWE themed grooms-cake, which was vanilla with raspberry and chocolate frosting. I just sent her some photos and some little action figures and she made a very fun cake. It was a HUGE hit and so cute. My husband was very excited about it. Paradox Pastry was quite affordable. For 200 people, we paid just about $650 for both cakes. I'm very happy we chose Paradox Pastry for our wedding.

Danielle · Married on 09/05/2015

I loved Jenny from Paradox Pastry! Our cake turned out wonderful and was exactly what I wanted. It was so nice that they offer non traditional flavors as well as normal ones. My late great grandmother always made spice cake so it was a tribute to her that a portion of our wedding cake was spice and it was convenient that they provide an extra "anniversary cake" so you don't have to worry about the caterer taking the top tier and storing it for you.

Chris · Married on 05/23/2015

Jenny is a joy to work with and many guests told us the cake was the most beautiful they'd ever seen: a naked cake with tiers decorated with fresh autumn flowers and lady apples. Raspberry filling with white chocolate buttercream - need I say more?

• Melissa

Melissa · Married on 12/28/2014

When looking for bakers in the Staunton, VA area, we were a little nervous as we were from Northern VA and did not know the area well. Our initial experiences in the area did not go well, and we decided to branch out to the Charlottesville area. After reading online reviews (that were phenomenal), we decided to schedule a tasting at Paradox Pastry. When we entered their "cafe", we were blown away. The atmosphere was so fun! Everyone working there was so helpful. We were there 5 minutes and knew that was it. The cake was moist and flavorful. They also provided such creative options that I would have never thought of for a wedding cake. They took our suggestions and ideas and crafted the most beautiful cake I could have ever imagined. Jenny is truly and artist and was an amazing person to work with. So many people left our wedding sharing that our cake was the most delicious wedding cake that they had ever tasted. Oh!!! And... your cake includes a recreation of the top tier for your 1 year anniversary so you don't have to store cake for a year, and actually get to taste it fresh a year later!

Holli · Married on 11/08/2014

Holy crap. I'm obsessed with Jenny and the Paradox Pastry crew. We came to them kind of last-minute after another Cville bakery was proving to be too difficult and too expensive. We were not asking for anything complicated - a ten-inch cutting cake and cupcakes for our guests. Boy, did Paradox deliver! Seriously, the best cake we've ever had. Jenny was so nice and hosted us for a great consultation where we tasted a few of their signature flavors. They were able to do three cupcake flavors that all looked beautiful and tasted amazing! Our guests are still raving about them. Their pricing was also incredibly reasonable. We love Paradox!!

Maggie · Married on 10/19/2014

My husband and I LOVE Paradox Pastry! They have been making cakes for our family's big events for years now, and we couldn't be happier with the results. Jenny and her staff are awesome from the initial contact, to the Tasting, to delivery. Our cake was not only beautiful, but tasted great...our family and friends loved it! We'll be coming back to Paradox again and again for their great service and even better products!

Lauren · Married on 10/12/2014

We had mini pies and a small cake for our reception. Jenny at Paradox Pastry is AMAZING!! The pies were delicious as well as the cake. All of our guests complimented on how delicious the pies and cake were! Jenny is so easy to work with and gets you excited for your reception cake or dessert! I highly recommend her for any type of event where you may need yummy pies, cakes, or other desserts!

Madison · Married on 05/25/2014

Paradox is hands down delicious - no other word for it. We went with individual sized pies for the wedding, and they were a hit. Jenny and Mona are responsive, professional, and made it so that I really didn't have to worry about the desserts at all, which was great.

Amanda · Married on 05/10/2014

Our wedding cake was delicious and beautiful! Everyone at Paradox Pastry was wonderful to work with and everyone couldn't stop talking about the cake! We would highly recommend them!!!

• Colin

Colin · Married on 10/13/2013

My fiance is not a cake person and I was delighted when we found Paradox Pastry to supply us with an assortment of mini tarts in lieu of a groom's cake. Jenny was great to work with and she was very accommodating as our needs for the big day changed. The tarts we ordered (pumpkin, pecan, chocolate, apple-walnut, and more!) were delicious and our guests loved them. I would definitely recommend Paradox Pastry - they perfectly combine quality of service with quality baked goods!

Amy · Married on 09/27/2013

The pies and mini cake made for us by Paradox Pastry were amazing! I went to pastry school so I was very particular in choosing a local pastry chef. Since we don't live in VA it was a bit more difficult since I wasn't as familiar. Our wedding planner suggested Paradox and we are so glad she did. We met the chefs at the shop and were blown away by the taste of the mini pies! They looked great and tasted delicious! As a bonus the chefs were super sweet and fun! We're so glad we chose Paradox Pastry for our wedding desserts. We highly recommend if you want a wonderfully tasty dessert, great looking presentation, and professional sweet people to work with!

Caroline · Married on 09/21/2013

Had a delicious and gorgeous wedding cake from Paradox. They operate a little differently by asking you to put down a large deposit before they will sketch cake ideas for you and that made us nervous. But the sketches were great and they were flexible with changing little things to fit my budget. The cake ended up gorgeous and delicious so don't let the deposit scare you! They are truly artists and clearly passionate about making cakes beautiful and tasty.

• Katie

Katie · Married on 03/30/2013

We LOVED Jenny and Paradox Pastry! Our cake was absolutely beautiful and came out exactly as we had discussed. From the very beginning, Jenny was easy and fun to work with and was great really focusing my ideas into a few designs to choose from. We loved our tasting, we had great big pieces of cake and lots to take home, plus the store is adorable! Jenny was really accommodating with letting us pick our flavors and incorporating our favorite candy, reeces cups! Everyone raved about the cake and we were so happy we had some yummy pieces of cake waiting for us in the room after the wedding! We've had their pastries and lunch there too, food was great will definitely be going back for lunch and sweets!

Julia · Married on 06/15/2012

The cake Jenny made for us was beautiful and she did a great job putting loose flowers on the cake even though we didn't think she would do that for us. It was a little different than I thought it would be - I thought she would do ridges around the butter cream layers, but she exceeded my expectations and did a ruffle type of design instead. I didn't even think to ask for that because I thought it would be too difficult, or mostly too expensive, so I was thrilled to see that she had taken my original vision even further.

The cake itself was delicious (vanilla layers with butter cream icing), and my parents have loved eating all the leftovers they took home. She also made us a separate anniversary layer for us to freeze that was also delivered to the wedding - we can't wait to eat it and relive all our wedding memories! Thank you Jenny for making us a beautiful and delicious cake!

Lauren · Married on 10/29/2011

Great service! Delicious cake! Beautiful cake!

Loved seeing our ideas come to life in Jenny's hands. The red velvet cake was delicious and I'm told the same about the guinness chocolate (though I was too busy dancing up a storm to try it). Can't wait to try the chocolate for our anniversary!!

Definitely recommend.

Samantha · Married on 10/15/2011

Jenny was so amazing and friendly! She had wonderful advise, and really listened to what we wanted - even though we were a bit indecisive! Her cake flavors were amazing and she was more than willing to have us try anything we wanted - no limits! Our wedding cake was absolutely beautiful, I couldn't have dreamed it better. Thank you Jenny!