Ostertag Vistas Reviews

68 | Myersville, MD

68 Reviews for Ostertag Vistas

Ostertag will always have a special place in our hearts. The venue is a wonderful way to show off so many reasons I love where I grew up, from the beauty of the rolling hills to the kindness of so many people who want to help make your day wonderful.

It was great to have so many choices for our location, depending on the weather, etc. We didn't really have to decide until it was time to set up the chairs. Everyone we worked with was helpful and flexible as we figured out how to make the day perfect - and it turned out just that way!

Sent on 07/14/2013

Jeana · Married on 07/04/2015

3.0

My husband and I recently got married at this venue. We did not look at any other place except for Ostertag because it is so picturesque. We would absolutely recommend this venue to others because the pictures are absolutely gorgeous but you would have to be prepared for the stiff rules provided by the owners. Definitely worth the value, must be willing to charter your guests to/from the venue, must be prepared to have the owner at your entire wedding.

Sent on 07/17/2015

Amanda · Married on 09/20/2014

4.2

The venue is beautiful and just what we where looking for.

Sent on 09/29/2014

Annie · Married on 05/17/2014

4.2

I loved our wedding at Ostertag Vistas. The venue is, of course, stunning, and the staff can run weddings in their sleep, making for a day that seemed to flow on its own.

Leading up to the wedding, I did experience a few minor frustrations where I felt information had been a bit opaque. Though they offer a "day of coordinator," I think they would be more accurate labeling this a venue manager. Fonda did an excellent job working us through the rehearsal and helping us get in and out on the wedding day. She was really friendly and easy to work with. Prior to the wedding, I experienced a few moments of stress when I realized that Ostertag wasn't going to provide a true coordinator - something I had been led to believe they would - but with careful planning on my end, things went off easily on the actual wedding day. I'd also note that while they initially told us they had everything we needed to amplify an outdoor wedding, this wasn't really the case. Luckily we figured this out in advance and made our own plans for purchasing a mobile PA system (which works really great, was only $100, and which Ostertag should really invest in for itself!). If you have a DJ, you're not going to have this issue, but if you don't, it's something to be aware of.

But, there was much more good than bad at this venue. Major props to them having both plan B and plan C options for ceremony sites. While we had our heart set on getting married in the trees, flash floods the day before made that impossible. We still had a gorgeous outdoor wedding on the patio, which was a pretty amazing Plan B if you ask me.

Our guests decsribed the venue as fun, warm, inviting, and beautiful. And I think they're right!

Overall, I would recommend this venue to anyone. i think if you are clear with what exactly they provide right up front, and are willing to do some legwork, you can end up with a truly beautiful, easy wedding day.

Sent on 06/07/2014

3.0

Ostertag Vistas is a beautiful venue to have your perfect day! Every view is breath taking! They have many different options of where to have you ceremony and they are really flexiable. We had a 30 day meeting with Wanda and she made me feel so relaxed. We went over major details and I knew what was going to happen the day of.
    The day of the wedding was not as relaxed as they whole planning phase had been. Their wedding planer that was assigned to me, was a drill sgt. 10 minutes before my cermony she told my photographer and I no more pictures that it was time. I explained to her we still have 10 min I am ready and guest are still being seated, we do have time for one more picture! She shot me a dirty nastey look! Through out the rest of the day she would hound me and the guest. Ok typicall cake cutting, cake smashed in each others faces, we got two little peices on the floor. She was so mad! We cleaned it up, but I walked around all evening worrying about what she was give people a nasty look for! In the end their wedding planner was disrespectful and pushy.
    I loved this venue! It was beautiful the owners are wonderful and very flexable, but keep in mind that their first priority is there venue. If you can deal with that and want wonderful pictures this is the place.

Sent on 11/25/2012
  • Liz

Liz · Married on 10/26/2019

2.0

Great ambiance for your big day!

I loved this venue for the location and how it is essentially already decorated for you. The lighting is great and they were very good at setting everything up just like how I envisioned it. We also had rain so the stables is where we got married and it was beautiful. The only complaint I would have is that there were dead flies all over the window sills in the bridal suite that I would have liked to be cleaned and they would not let us into the venue before 12:30 the day of the wedding so I had to get ready at my MOH’s house instead of there, which was disappointing, but it worked out. Otherwise I would recommend choosing this venue solely for getting the amazing pictures that you want. (:

Sent on 10/30/2019

Lisa · Married on 09/15/2018

3.5

Our daughter’s wedding was a real delight at this lovely historic barn. It easily accommodated our modest group of 65 guests. The patio adjacent to the barn was ideal, close enough that you could duck inside if it started to rain, which it didn’t! Donna Easterday was quite helpful with our same-day coordination. Everyone remarked how much fun they had. Good for couples and families who like to “do it yourself” but with a little help. Scenic, informal and fun!

Sent on 09/21/2018

3.5

The day of coordinators Terri and Colleen were wonderful!! Everything on the day of went very well and this is a wonderful venue. The planning process in the beginning was a little shakey. Some of the staff there that are not involved with the day-of activities are reluctant to let you be flexible and missed details we requested. But once the day of came we let those things go because it was so nice working with Terri and Colleen!! We would recommend the venue to friends and family but advise the venue to get some friendlier staff during the booking and planning process.

Sent on 04/19/2014

Megan · Married on 07/07/2012

3.5

I'll be in love with this place forever-- the gorgeous fields, incredible barn space, rolling hills. And the fact that all of this is offered to the public by the same family that owned this land since the early 18th century makes it all the better. This is not a wedding factory that you might find elsewhere, but the Easterdays do their best to make your day wonderful. At the same time, because this venue is a small operation with lots of family history, I found that some communication was slow (or inconvenient, asking me to call when I email-- and I'm pretty sure some of our mailed correspondence was written on a typewriter...) and some options were limited (the fake ivy in the barn won't come down-- an unfortunate choice of decor for constantly changing wedding trends). But if you look past these and book your event here, you'll support an extremely nice family who has incredible pride in their history. And you'll get scenery you've always dreamed of.

Sent on 09/09/2012

Carly · Married on 05/28/2017

3.8
      3.5

We had a wonderful experience with Ostertag from start to finish. I had a dream wedding in mind and wanted a DIY style. At first the venue seemed a bit hesitant with some of my ideas because it was not part of their normal routine, but when came down to the actual day, everything was great. I had complete freedom is setting up and having the DIY event that we wanted. The venue provides a great space, both indoor and outdoor, which we utilized well. It rained on our wedding, but we had plenty of space for our guests. The location is secluded, quiet, and peaceful and we are so happy to have been married here. Thank you Ostertag!

Sent on 06/09/2017

Kyleigh · Married on 08/16/2014

3.0

Ostertag was the first and only venue we looked at. We booked it that day for 18 months later.

The venue is beautiful, which is most important. There were a few headaches along the way. As other people have mentioned, if booking in advance, your rental prices will go up. You will not be informed of this until the last minute. Ultimately it worked out, but, it would have been nice to know of that additional cost.

The owners are nice, though slightly disorganized. It seems like Wanda handles some things while Donna handles others. You have to reach out to them both to get the answers you need. Not always convenient.

We did things a little differently than they are used to and they were mostly accommodating to our requests.

Our guests raved about how gorgeous the property was, however, as a bride there were things I noticed that I wish would have been
    taken care of prior to our wedding. Many of their permanent decor items were dusty and
    Cobwebbed, which I noticed many places. Things we had discussed at our initial meeting later became an impossibility.

If you can be flexible and patient, the venue is beautiful.

Sent on 12/01/2014

1.0

Our spring wedding was booked over a year and a half before the date as this venue books quickly. I was only having the reception at this venue and the wedding ceremony at my church. The planning process went well and Wanda and Donna were great to work with and organized. During the walk through of the venue before the wedding I had noticed a few changes. One being a large light in the center of the beam of the dance floor. It was not there prior to booking and I felt did not match the décor of the barn. When asked to having it removed or switched out with options I was told I had. I was told it would be about a 300.00 fee as they would have to pay someone to take it down and place it back up. I was actually with Donna the day she was looking at this light in a book to order and told her I felt it didn't match. At this time she said not to worry we had options that can be switched out. Another negative was for a reception only plan set up is 2 hours before the reception starts. Well....that's when family photos were being taken and everyone I know was planning to be at the church. Therefore, I had to pay for a day of coordinator to be responsible for setting everything up. I saw nothing till I arrived. I had a wonderful coordinator so everything was perfect but this takes a lot of work on the client and one more vendor to pay. The barn is beautiful BY ITSELF the décor to me seems as if someone just took extras they had at home and hung them. Several places are silk flowers non of which match. On the loft where 40 some guests sit there is a large white crooked half falling over gazebo. We were told this could not be removed. It just looks like it's about to fall over and not a night sight. I decided on this venue because of it's outdoors. It is BEAUTIFUL. They could make improvements in the décor by removing all the silks and just letting the barn by itself be beautiful it needs to decorations. As far as the day of everything was perfect

Sent on 05/09/2014

Jenifer · Married on 10/19/2014

3.0

The venue is gorgeous. The rules are very strict and there is not much flexibility. The price is the same whether you book on a Friday or a Sunday and is a bit expensive considering how many restrictions there are. The venue did make for great pictures though and the staff is great!

Sent on 11/24/2014

Megan · Married on 09/07/2013

2.4
      1.5
      3.0

This place was beautiful. It was everything I wanted for my wedding. The three story barn was incredible. When we first went, we dealt wit the man who owned it and he convinced us that it was the place to go!! However, over t he course of 18 months, the man had fallen ill and his daughter took over. She was very professional, but was really not too helpful along the way. We had a three hour walk through the month before the wedding, and at the very end, she told us that she had booked a wedding the night before ours and we had to do all the decorations the day of the wedding and also that we couldnt even do the rehearsal at the place we were doing the ceremony. The day of the wedding, i was pulled away many times to be asked silly questions that we already went over before. I was not happy with the way the ceremony had ended, when we first talked over contracts, the man had said we could have the barn until dark even if it went passedo ur time, but when the day came, we were promptly told we were to be out at 7....

Sent on 09/17/2013

1.8
      2.0

This venue is beautiful and a perfect representation of the intrinsic beauty of Frederick County, Maryland. My daughter wanted an outdoor wedding that had a 1st class backup for rain and be well equipped to handle guests with special needs. They appeared to offer perfect solutions. And perhaps had it not rained (heavy rain the entire week and day of) our experience would have been better than it was. They are extremely protective of the site so much so that in in some ways I felt we were not partnering for a successful wedding rather we were being over-lorded. Up until the wedding the service & communications were wonderful.
    1) They have a "kitchen" area that is not outfitted to protect the floors. In my mind that is completely ridiculous. Keeping any of the beverages outside just slightly covered from the rain was silly.
    2) Our "partner" (supervisor) was Wanda. While in the midst of dressing she walked into the grooms suite without knocking. That's right WITHOUT knocking. She also followed them around to such an extent that one of the groomsmen finally asked her to leave them alone. What did she think they were doing?? Ummm, getting pictures with the photographer that's what.
    3) I bought a perfect isle runner that we couldn't use because they have no accommodation to hold it in place and under no condition could we use any adhesive of any kind. Really? You can't have something fashioned specifically for this simple wedding staple?
    4) the "people mover" turned out to have restrictions on use. The groom's grandmother was in a wheelchair and when we most needed it Wanda wouldn't allow it. And remember it was raining - his uncle had to push her up around that building in the pouring rain. That pisses me off big time!
    5) We had the building until 11 but by 10:15 I was being rushed to do the walk thru and leave. Remember, it was RAINING!
    Despite these things the wedding was beautiful. My rating here is primarily because of the "people mover" situation.

Sent on 10/26/2013

Lisa · Married on 10/01/2011

0.5

I did not have a good experience with Ostertag Vistas - with all their staff. The place is absolutely beautiful, but that is really all they have to offer. I would have questions about setup, but they would always tell me "we will discuss that in your 30 day meeting" - which was not helpful at all.

The day of the wedding was a nightmare. My brother in law arrived 30 minutes prior to our arrival time and they gave him attitude and wouldn't let him in even though he was going to drop off things for the wedding. Fonda was extremely rude the entire day - I think she's the coordinator. She snapped at my husband one hour before the ceremony when she saw he wasn't dressed and made a comment "the way you're moving you'll never be ready". And she snapped at my sister, when we weren't lined up for the ceremony and yelled at her that we should have been lined up 15 minutes ago.... even though no one told us it was time.

After the ceremony was over, Wanda yelled at me and the bridal party when we didn't know where to go... "to get out of here to go up up up!" Some of my guests saw how she acted and I felt embarrassed.

During the setup, we moved a table over because it seemed a bit close to another table.... and during dinner Don came over and moved it himself while guests were sitting at the table. My guests even told me they felt like they didn't belong because he had to move their table.

My reception was until 9PM and they started stacking chairs and cleaning up at 7:30PM... even though in the contract it stated that we would have 10 hours so we were counting on having the place from 12-10pm. Some of our guests felt like they were being kicked out early. Also, my husband who is disabled stood up and Don took his chair from him immediately. His friend had to yell at him to give it back.

At the end of the night, it was apparent we were not happy with their behavior and all they said was "I know. I'm sorry."

If I knew this was the way they were going to act on my special day, I would have picked some place else. Absolutely rude and inconsiderate.

Sent on 10/27/2011

Aileen · Married on 09/22/2013

0.6
      1.0

Although the venue is beautiful, my wedding at Ostertag Vistas was a disaster due to the ill-prepared and unprofessional staff. If you have your wedding here, be prepared to do all the coordinating work yourself, and even to rearrange the tables yourself while your hair is up in pins because the staff *will not believe you* when you point to your seating chart and physically show them proof that they did it wrong. During the reception, I found out that two of my guests did not even have seats. So, so sad and disappointed that I spent nearly $4000 on this place. *Please* read my Yelp review at the following link before booking this place. http://www.yelp.com/biz/ostertag-vistas-myersville#hrid:9_x0hgWFf7JAvHgDhB3NOQ/src:self

Sent on 09/27/2013

b · Married on 05/27/2012

0.4

Looks very pretty.

Not cheap. Staff was rude. Barn is not air conditioned. There are a lot of "rules" that seem to change over time. They told my sister to bring a rake so that she could rake up the real rose petals we used at the ceremony! They are very much obsessed with their property and building and your wedding experience comes in a distant second...if at all.

Sent on 05/29/2012