Oglebay Resort Reviews

22 | Wheeling, WV

22 Reviews for Oglebay Resort

Ryan and Laura · Getting married on 02/05/2021

Everything we wanted!

Oglebay was perfect! We looked at venues all over Pittsburgh including Seven Springs which is a similar resort the venue, Oglebay was the last place we looked and our favorite. The atmosphere was both laid back and classy at the same time, all of our guests were comfortable and had a great time! The staff went above and beyond to make our day run smooth and helped with small things that we forgot. They were extremely accommodating and organized. Ashley, our planner was on top of everything and made sure we answered all of the questions we needed to in order to make our day run smoothly.

We had a welcome event in the Fort Henry room, our ceremony on the west spa patio and our reception in the banquet hall, all were perfect. We also planned a backup room for rain but did not have to make the decision till the day of the ceremony. After the reception the glassworks bar was right next to the reception hall and those that wanted to keep the party going went there. The new BBQ and craft beer restaurant at the driving range is a great place to hang out. Since we had our wedding on Sunday of Memorial day weekend many of our guests stayed 3 nights and enjoyed all of the weekends events and all of the amenities of the resort.

We stayed in a cottage which was very nicely updated and were greeted by several deer outside our door every morning.

Advice: we choose to leave our room block open to all levels of room including the value rooms so our guests could match their budget, if you want your guests to stay in more updated rooms you can pick what levels of room are in the block.

Overall we highly recommend Oglebay!

Sent on 05/29/2019

brian randolph · Married on 06/30/2019

Brunch wedding

I had a brunch wedding and worked with Ashley Dunlap as my coordinator. She is amazing !!! Every email was answered promptly she went above and beyond helping with rooms! The day of she was accessible without being intrusive and everything was perfect !!! My guests loved ogelbay and all commented on the quality of food and absolute beauty of the resort

Sent on 07/13/2019

Elise · Married on 06/29/2019

Perfect Wedding

Glessner Ballroom at Oglebay was a beautiful place for our wedding! Ashley is an incredible wedding coordinator. She ensured everything we wanted was done to perfection. She is very personable and quickly responded to every inquiry. The appetizers, dinner, and cake were all delicious. We had great service and the employees were friendly. Everything went extremely smoothly. Our guests had a wonderful time visiting the beautiful resort. We truly had the wedding of our dreams at Oglebay.

Sent on 09/18/2019

MaryAnn · Married on 08/11/2018

My daughter had her wedding at the Formal Gardens and her reception at Camp Russell in August. Ashley Dunlap, the wedding specialist, was amazing. Her response to our questions was always accurate and immediate. Many of our guests traveled from places all over the US and they all raved about the beauty of the wedding site and their
    accommodations at Wilson Lodge and the cabins. Thank you so much for making the wedding a wonderful event.

MaryAnn McNeil

Sent on 08/31/2018

Hilary · Married on 12/31/2016

They gave me a winter wedding of my dreams. You truly pay for what you get and then some more. It was exquisite.

Sent on 01/01/2012

Jennie · Married on 11/05/2016

Oglebay was very accommodating and eager to make sure our event was perfect, but it would not have been the same without our wonderful event coordinator, Lori. She left no stone unturned. Great location, great food, and great staff. Lori was very thorough and made sure all of our requests were incorporated into the event. She went above and beyond to make sure everyone was happy and having a great time. We can't thank her enough!

Sent on 01/03/2017

Oglebay Resort's reply:

Thank you so very much and we will be sure to let Lori know all of you kind words.

Stephanie · Married on 10/19/2013

Beautiful setting for a rustic style wedding. My friend had her wedding here and it was absolutely gorgeous with all the lights especially in the winter.

Sent on 12/02/2016

Jo · Married on 06/23/2007

I was married in the mansion gardens. olgebay provided the seating. i didn't have to decorate anything because of the amazing flower gardens already in bloom. i also did not have to worry about tearing down the seating. slots are rented in two hour increments. be careful because renting the gardens does not give you exclusive rights for pictures on the grounds. Guaranteed beautiful pictures on the mansion grounds. stone walkways and flower gardens make an amazing backdrop.

Sent on 01/02/2008
  • W

Megan · Married on 06/26/2016

Oglebay made my wedding beyond amazing. All the staff were so great. They really took care of us on our wedding day and even upgraded our room for the wedding night for no charge. It was everything I ever dreamed about. I highly recommend Oglebay for a beautiful wedding. The guests talked about how incredible the food was.

Sent on 06/28/2016

Anessa · Married on 06/14/2008

3.5

We rented out the amphitheater and gardens for our wedding ceremony. There are a few things about this venue that you need to know goingin- 1) you have to book early ( I would at least suggest a year in advance if not more) because it is very popular, 2) you have to be in and out in 2 hours (they may have 6 weddings that same day at the same place so you only have a 2 hour period) and 3) if it rains, they do not have a back-up plan (you must arrange your own back-up plan- we did ours in a church). But, the venue is beautiful. They have flowers all around, and the amphitheater fits about 500 people I think. But, it is only about $350 to rent which is an amazing price. The area also has great places to take pictures, such as the Oglebay Mansion, courtyards and flowering areas all over. Oglebay also arranged our transporation - a trolley that fits about 30 people. The trolley came and picked us up from the cabins in the resort, bridesmaids and groosmen (and me and the groom) separately. It also took each group down to the church, which was about 20 minutes away. Then it took the entire wedding party back to take pictures at Oglebay and then to the reception - all for less than $400 for about 3 hours! It rained the day of our wedding, and I am disappointed we didn't get to have our ceremony in the amphitheater. It would have been like a fairytale. But, for those brides who want to book the amphitheater, buy a dress with a train. It will look gorgeous when you walk down all those stairs.

Sent on 08/03/2008
  • Jordan

Jordan Forshey · Getting married on 05/09/2020

Party for a friend

They were professional and did an awesome job.

Sent on 06/22/2019

2.5

Oglebay Resort/Park is absolutely beautiful with options available for a multitude of tastes/budgets and they have a very professional staff. However, their staff is occasionally (not always) difficult to get in contact with/get answers from. Their flexibility is quite limited because a lot of people use it as a venue for different events and they are rigid on times/procedures. As for value, it all depends on what you want. If you are looking for a pavilion, they have beautiful pavilions at reasonable prices. If you want an indoor room or a ceremony location or catering, they can accommodate you, but it is not inexpensive.

Sent on 02/10/2015

3.5

The venue was beautiful. I loved having my ceremony and reception there. I was a little dissapointed with the buffet we got. Just average.

Sent on 06/06/2013

Jenna · Married on 08/27/2011

3.5

My wedding was in August of 2011 and I had my reception here. Olgebay is a beautiful place to hold a wedding reception, all of their rooms are beautiful. Everyone was very professional and communication was decent, I heard back within a day or 2 once I left a voice mail or an email. We did run into a couple bumps tho, Olgebay does not allow you to stay at their resort for only 1 night if it is on Friday-Sunday. There is a 2 night stay minium. Did not know that until my guest told me they tried to reserve a room. Olgebay did kind of work with us on this issue, when it hit 30 days before the wedding and there were still lots of open rooms left they changed that. Another bump we had was the day of the wedding, because there were 3 weddings going on the same day as mine there the kitchen got a bit backed up, 45 mins late on dinner, as well as all of my guest got the wrong chicken. I ordered cheddar stuffed chicken (delicious!) but instead my guests got some rice and veggie stuffed chicken. Still good, not as good as what I picked and not what I picked. Also my cake was wrong, they had the wrong color on the cake and the wrong icing. Still don't understand how that happens, but the design was beautiful. The only credit they gave us was for the cake. During cocktail hour there was no bottle opener, when me and the bridal party arrived I realized this and asked the server to go get one and put it behind the bar for the beer that I had selected. I also was short 4 chair covers, the wedding planner calls my mother 10 mins before we get on the trolly to go to the church to inform her of this, we tell her to go over our name cards that were out in the hallway by the room and see which tables had empty chairs, take the covers off of those chairs and remove the chairs from the tables. She did not do thi and instead when I arrived there were chair covers missing from 4 chairs at the bridal table, luckly noone could see but I would have liked to have sat on hte chair cover that my parents did buy. For Olgebay to be a resort and as big as it is in Wheeling WV I did expect less mistakes from them, I was prepared for a couple things to go wrong during the wedding day, which every bride knows happens, but not all of my mistakes to be because of the reception. The actual servers were awesome, really nice, and tried to work with me as much as they could. The mistakes were out of their hands and not their fault. The wedding planner there and the kitchen is what messed things up.

Sent on 01/05/2012

3.8
      2.5

Oglebay was a beautiful place to have our reception - we were in the Glessner Auditorium, which we chose because we wanted a large ballroom for dancing. The venue was stunning, especially after the decorator had his way with it. We also used Oglebay's catering, and the food was excellent and served right on time.

The wedding coordinator I worked with was not extremely helpful, though. There were a few occasions where she would suddenly request information she needed immediately, without warning me in advance that there was a deadline on that particular decision. Also, she almost never had pricing information available when I spoke to her - she would constantly promise to find out the answers and get back to me, but she never did. (An example: I asked several times if there was a discount on the bar price if we had just beer and wine, without liquor. It took ages to get a real response.) This was a little bit stressful, but everything came together. I think I could have had a better experience if I were a bit more organized and asked her directly and regularly for all the options and deadlines.

There was also an issue when we got to the venue - the decorator wasn't being allowed to do some work that had been previously agreed upon by both parties. I wasn't involved, but I understand that my father-in-law had to ask to see the coordinator's manager before he could get a straight answer on how/when/if the problem could be resolved. The manager, though, was lovely and straightforward.

Overall, I definitely recommend the venue. Just don't expect the staff to do much of the planning for you.

Sent on 05/14/2015

Channel · Married on 10/13/2012

3.8
      2.5

The venue was gorgeous! Perfect for my outdoor fall wedding! However it was a bit pricey and they did not have any accomodations for a reheasal. I had to keep calling to check to see if the space would be available up to TWO WEEKS before our wedding day. I uderstand that this is a business and the bottom line is to make a profit. I would just expect a resort that holds hundreds of weddings year after year to have some kind of plan for something as common and expected as a REHEARSAL. Luckily we were able to rehearse at the site the day before but It was EXTREMLY stressful not having a plan finalized until two weeks before the big day..........Back to the positive... The banquet sales associates were VERY helpful and always willing to answer any questions. They were willing to help in any way they could. That is really appreciated. Thank you!!

Sent on 12/18/2012

GB · Married on 05/26/2012

3.6
      3.0

My wife's family all have strong ties to Oblebay Resort, as most of them have worked at the park at some point in their past. Our ceremony was in the formal gardens, and the park did a good job of making the site look great for the wedding. The reception was in the banquet view room and this provide enough room to seat 170 guests and have a 20x20 dance floor with room to spare. The park can be a little expensive if your not getting family discounts but it can be worth it as they provide many services with the wedding packages. The only problem we had was the wedding cordinater the park provides quit right before our wedding and we never even saw the replacement cordinator during the wedding. Everything went smoothly and we didn't have a need for one in the end so it worked out well.

Sent on 06/12/2012

3.4
      3.0

Oglebay is picture perfect. The food was good & people did rave over it. I felt the banquet serving staff was on top of things. The cake was not that good & you have very limited choices in flavor & icing so just spend the extra $250 (then another cake cutting fee) to get an outside vendor cake. I wish decorating & wedding coordinator would have offered more suggestions rather than the very typical response, "it's your wedding- it's what you want." They charge for every little item they put out & it can get costly. Overall, you talk to the coordinator mostly about food, liquor & room setup & you're on your own. I was embarrassed by the quality of rooms for the cheapest 2 suites... small beds, super old & looks dirty. They need to do updating- they charge a lot of those rooms for them not to be up to par.

Our families enjoyed Oglebay (except the zoo was lame) for the weekend & everyone had fun.

Sent on 07/14/2014

ANNE · Married on 12/06/2008

3.2

IT WAS OKAY BUT COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT BETTER THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS MADE MY DAY

Sent on 11/15/2009

2.6
      2.0
      2.5

They are not very organized. You have to go through tons of people in the beginning to get any answers and then later find out that the answers you recieved were in correct. Make sure to get everything in writing!

Sent on 07/06/2012

Allissa · Married on 05/13/2017

0.8
      0.5
      1.0

Awful experience, went through 4 different coordinators in 9 months because they kept ethier getting fired or quitting. Over priced for lack of service you get.

Sent on 07/03/2017