Oatlands Historic House & Garden Reviews

Oatlands Historic House & Garden 3
Oatlands Historic House & Garden 4
Oatlands Historic House & Garden 5

Jessie · Married on 10/06/2018

Moriah was amazing and the venue was beautiful

The venue absolutely beautiful and there were so many potential sites we could have used for our ceremony spot, first look location, wedding portraits and cocktail hour. We chose the boxwood terrace for the ceremony and the tiered gardens for cocktail hour and it made for amazing pictures. Our guests continue to tell us how beautiful the venue was. On top of that, the venue coordinator, Moriah Lemming, was so insanely organized, flexible and had great attention to detail. I was hesitant about not using an outside coordinator but she completely manned our wedding all on her own. She herded guests from spot to spot, lined up and helped time our wedding party walks, fluffed my dress before I walked down the aisle, was always on top of my slew of emailed questions and requests, and at several times during the night, I caught her holding hands with and walking around with our flower girl. She is truly amazing at her job and having her help with our wedding made our experience at Oatlands so memorable. I would recommend this venue and her 1000 over.

Oatlands Historic House & Garden 6
    Oatlands Historic House & Garden 7
    Oatlands Historic House & Garden 8
    Oatlands Historic House & Garden 9
    Oatlands Historic House & Garden 10
    Oatlands Historic House & Garden 11
    Sent on 10/15/2018

Oatlands Historic House & Garden's reply:

It was so wonderful to have you and Francesco begin your lives together here as married couple. Your ceremony was beautiful and we loved working with you guys! We hope that you and Francesco enjoy many years of many years of marriage. Congratulations!

Ali · Married on 09/08/2018

The choice to have our wedding at Oatlands was an easy one - it was in the perfect location (easy to get to, close to Dulles, away from the bustle of DC), the gardens are stunning, and we got to hang out with the amazing Moriah Lemming, Oatland's event coordinator. We had a long engagement and our venue was one of the first things we booked, leaving ample time for us to come up with tons of questions, take multiple visits to the property, yet leave many important decisions until essentially the last minute. Moriah was with us every step of the way, ensuring that our big day went off without a hitch, and despite a very rainy morning and afternoon, it absolutely did. We had a myriad of exceptional vendors on the day of, but having Moriah there brought me a sense of peace I can't describe. She is calm, professional, and knows all the ins and outs of the property. She bustled my dress, carted our bridal party around the property (along with her amazing asst, Emmeline), and helped everyone navigate the property. I truly cannot say enough wonderful things about her.

For being a historic estate, you have a lot of freedom at Oatlands. Candles are allowed in their tent as long as they are enclosed in glass (a huge no at other venues), they have a long list of preferred caterers to choose from, they are flexible working with all vendors, golf carts are available for elderly guests, transportation was allowed to pull up basically straight at our ceremony site so our guests did not have to walk, etc. I could honestly go on and on but seriously just have your wedding there...

Sent on 09/16/2018

Oatlands Historic House & Garden's reply:

Ali, we are so glad that we were able to be a part of you and Peter's big day. You guys were an amazing couple to work alongside. We are overjoyed that you had a great experience and loved us! We hope that you and Peter enjoy a lifetime of happiness and love.

Stanley · Married on 09/01/2018

Awesome wedding venue. The gardens are spacious and there are multiple areas where you can have your ceremony, either in the garden or around the house. We had our ceremony in the magnolia garden which was beautiful and easily accommodated our 215+ guests. Unlimited photo spots - a photographer's dream.

The pictures speak for themselves and everyone everyone else has said is true, so we just want to highlight the work of Moriah Lemming, the events manager at Oatlands. Friendly, easy to reach, professional, knowledgeable, organized, the star behind the scenes. She essentially served as a second day-of coordinator for us. She helped everything run smoothly and was present for all of our vendor walkthroughs with a smile. She created floor plans for us and provided good instruction on how to use the space effectively. It rained on the day of our wedding (more on that later) and she was outside, soaking wet, with a smile on her face. She really went above and beyond for us.

Of note the rain plan for this venue is for everything to be under the reception tent. Luckily our ceremony made it with less than 5 minutes to spare before it started pouring, but cocktail hour was moved to the tent which wasn’t a problem. The only thing I would say is that especially in the humid summer months, the tent can get very hot and humid (especially if your group dances like ours did). We rented some pole fans and provided fans as favors which worked out well, and it was better once the walls were opened up, but just be aware of this. More of a “Virginia weather” problem rather than an “Oatlands problem” though.

We also had our rehearsal dinner here in the air-conditioned carriage house which was great. Received a nice discount and all we needed to do was bring food, drinks, and utensils - linens, tables, chairs were provided. And the gardens were nice to walk around for our out-of-town guests and SOs of bridal party while we were at the rehearsal.

Sent on 09/15/2018

Marcus · Married on 06/02/2018

If you look through the past few years of reviews at Oatlands, there’s one common theme that stands out: Moriah Lemming, the venue coordinator. While previous reviews describing her as an angel may seem like hyperbole, I assure you it’s not. Here’s a sampling of things she did that I noticed: 1) Flawlessly executed rain plan and managed a stressed-out bride 2) Had missing item picked up 30 min away and brought to venue; 3) Sewed main button back onto groom’s suit jacket; 4) Bustled bride’s wedding dress by herself in minutes; 5) Successfully fixed SUV's broken trunk in pouring rain at midnight (an hour after the reception ended), then continued to help load gifts.

Another valuable skill was her ability to both take the lead and play a support role depending on what the situation called for. We had a lot of “cooks in the kitchen” (literally and figuratively), including a wedding coordinator, caterer, and two very hands-on mothers, and Moriah was the stabilizing factor that kept everyone in line.

The venue itself is beautiful and was our first choice among the endless barns/vineyards/historic houses in the area. We liked how many options there are for the specific ceremony site and reception and found that it naturally accommodated large weddings better (and much cheaper) than other places. We saved substantial amounts on the florist and other decorations because a ceremony in the gardens was naturally beautiful and Oatlands’ semi-permanent tented reception pavilion is included in the cost and looks classy with flowing fabric ceilings and chandeliers.

To summarize, Oatlands’ is a beautiful venue with lots of options and they’re extremely lucky to have such a resourceful, well-organized, and hard-working coordinator. I’m not sure what the pinnacle of venue coordinating/event planning is, but if that’s Moriah’s dream, she'll be there very soon.

Sent on 06/15/2018

Rachel · Married on 05/11/2018

We had such an amazing experience hosting our wedding at Oatlands. My parents were married here in the 80s, so it had always been my dream to get married here as well. Thanks to Moriah, and her incredible team, my dream came true and it exceeded all of my expectations! I truly believe Moriah is an angel put on this earth to help all brides through the wedding planning process. She worked with my family and I for close to a year, answering countless questions with a smile and was so incredibly kind and helpful. As an example, my bridesmaids and I stayed at the Oatlands Inn right on site (which I would highly recommend- it's stunning and so comfortable), and I had overlooked a bed for one of my girls. Moriah and her team immediately went out to purchase an air mattress for us. She consistently went above and beyond to make sure we were all happy and stress-free. Oatlands itself is beautiful, with sprawling gardens and two reception sites to choose from. I wish I could do it all again!

Oatlands Historic House & Garden 12
    Oatlands Historic House & Garden 21
    Sent on 06/12/2018
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 10/08/2017

Loved working with Moriah! The venue is stunning - even on an overcast day. Moriah walked us through everything every step of the way, dealt with all the small snafus, kept an eye on the weather and we managed to pull of the garden ceremony even with the threat of rain by checking the doplar radar. We lucked out that the ceremony time was in a gap between the rain clouds. Everything was perfect! I could not recommend Oatlands or Moriah more highly!

Sent on 10/15/2017

Do not work with anyone other than Moriah Lemming. (mlemming@oatlands.org)

She truly made the dreams come true up to and including the wedding day when April showers came and went. Her sense of urgency, immediacy and compassion was un-measurable. Working with a reverse destination global wedding party, she didn't miss a beat! We could not have done it without her.

Sent on 04/24/2017

Nicole · Married on 10/29/2016

My husband and I had the pleasure of working with Moriah at Oatlands Historic House & Gardens. Moriah was nothing short of amazing. She was professional, detailed, responsive, helpful, kind, and truly incredible for the entire wedding planning process from start to finish. Moriah made our day go smoothly, calmed our nerves knowing that everything was okay and taken care of on our special day. She dealt with all of our vendors, helped wherever she could, and our ceremony & reception was flawless. We are so very grateful for Moriah and Oatlands. It was the PERFECT venue and absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I could not imagine a more beautiful place to be married. Our day was perfect. The weather was perfect. The setting was incredible. I will forever remember our special day and am so thankful that we chose Oatlands as our venue. Thank you Moriah for being truly amazing - we are beyond grateful for you and blessed to have met you!

Sent on 11/19/2016

Sarah · Married on 08/06/2016

If I could write a book on how much I love Oatlands and the people who work there, I would. They made sure my wedding went perfrectly, even when we were hit with a million obstacles. My outdoor wedding was planned so well and on the day of it rained so hard. I was so scared that everything was ruined but they not only calmed me, they set up the tent so beautifully and ran through the rain with me on my portraits, getting completely soaked, trying to keep me dry. They went above and beyond, especially Moriah. She is just the best.

Sent on 09/16/2016

Addie · Married on 06/06/2015

My dream wedding just came true. The first time I saw Oatlands was with my mom, not my fiance, and it was an instant love affair. I took my fiance back the next day and we knew that was it. Oatlands fulfilled all our desires: near a big city (DC) for out of town guests, on a beautiful estate, private, sophisticated, outdoor...the list goes on. But even better, our wedding surpassed all our dreams, and was truly magical. Throughout the process, Sandy Perla (Oatland's site coordinator) was available to answer questions, and provide recommendations. Every vendor she suggested was an 11 out of 10 and on the day of the event, every detail went off without a hitch. Oatlands provides almost too many beautiful backdrops for wedding photos (what a terrible problem to have right?!) and we had no trouble finding location after location for both the first look pictures, as well as more of the group shots. We were blessed with beautiful blue skies (although it did rain in the morning and threatened in the forecast all week!) and my husband and I said I do in the most beautiful gardens surrounded by our closest friends and family. The partying continued all night, the dance floor was full besides when people were eating. My husband and I escaped for a private dinner in the gardens, including a little bunny who was nibbling his dinner next to us in the grass besides the boxwoods and babbling lily pond. Sound too amazing to be true? Well it all was possible at Oatlands!

Sent on 06/18/2015

Oatlands Historic House & Garden's reply:

Addie and Brad, it was a pleasure working with both of you throughout the months leading up to your wedding. Be sure to come back and visit us if you're ever in the area :)

We just got married at Oatlands and everything was absolutely gorgeous. Sandy and her staff were amazing and did a wonderful job the entire night. We had our ceremony in the bottom garden, cocktail hour in the upper gardens and then a tent for the reception next to the house. It was pouring rain right before we were supposed to start, but luckily we just pushed everything back 30 minutes and it stopped and it was beautiful! The staff was very accommodating and we were able to get the wedding of our dreams. We can't wait to go back for events throughout the year and remember the best day of our lives!

Sent on 06/01/2015

Julie · Married on 10/18/2014

Oatlands is one of the most beautiful wedding venues in the Washington, DC area. We felt so lucky to get married there. After having our original venue doublebook our date, we had to scramble to find a new venue just three months before our wedding and fortunately Oatlands had our day available. Andrea, Regan and the whole team were incredibly flexible in helping us make the switch and accommodating vendors we had already booked. While it looks at first like they have a lot of restrictions in the contract, many are actually quite standard and I actually felt like it was helpful to have everything outlined up front rather than have surprises later in the process. Our guests all raved about the venue. There were so many places for them to explore and for us to take photos. The only drawback at Oatlands is that there is no real rain option, other than having everything under a tent. But that's a risk with all outdoor wedding spaces.

Sent on 11/18/2014

Susanna · Married on 07/04/2014

We celebrated our rehearsal dinner in the Carriage House at Oatlands. It was just perfect. The location is so beautiful and they are easy to work with.

Would definitely recommend any bride to use them in the future.

Best
    Susanna & David Baxter

Sent on 08/12/2014

Laura · Married on 06/21/2014

Oatlands is a beautiful venue for your wedding! My husband and I fell in love with the venue and booked it over a year in advance. It was exactly what we had envisioned for our wedding reception. We did our cocktail hour in the beautiful, terraced gardens and our reception (180 people) was under a tent on the lawn outside the manor house. When we started the process, Abbey Lupien was the Special Events Manager, but a few months before our wedding Aimee Eddington took over as Special Events Manager with her assistant Rachel Blevins. The change was flawless, which was amazing in itself! Abbey did a great job at the start of the planning and Aimee picked right up where she left off and carried through for a perfectly executed event. Both ladies were flexible, accommodating, and helpful in making our day turn out exactly as we planned. Aimee was really great leading up to the wedding and especially the day of, acting almost like a day of wedding planner and helping everything run smoothly. She and Rachel were there to help with everything from helping us unload our U-Haul with supplies, to setting things up, and managing our various vendors. She even provided a much needed boost of positive encouragement when the weather forecast was showing 40% rain the day before my wedding (and she was right - the rain stayed away!). I was beyond happy with Oatlands as a venue and with Abbey, Aimee, and Rachel as event managers. I would highly recommend this venue for your wedding day!

Sent on 07/16/2014

I don't know where to begin! My wedding at Oatlands was beyond fabulous, and it would not have come together so smoothly without the help of Abbey Lupien. Abbey was friendly, responsive and super helpful throughout the planning process. As a Virginia native, I can't imagine a more beautiful location for a wedding than Oatlands Plantation. Thank you Oatlands!

Sent on 10/17/2013

Oatlands is the most beautiful wedding venue!!!! We visited about 5 venues in total - and we knew that Oatlands was the one from the moment we set foot. (even in the dead of winter). We just knew how gorgeous it would be for a September wedding....AND IT WAS! All of our guests commented on how amazingly beautiful the venue/gardens were. We couldn't be more pleased. Our photos are AMAZING due to the wonderful backdrop that Oatlands provides....the options are endless for great photography! Working with Abbey was such a breeze - she was one of the best vendors we worked with and we felt calm knowing that Abbey would ensure everything was taken care of. She even replied to my email that I sent the day of the wedding! We highly recommend Oatlands - and if you visit you'll see why. Truly stunning, romantic, classy.... Oatlands is a show stopper.

Sent on 10/17/2013

Cate · Married on 09/21/2013

I had dreamed of getting married at Oatlands for an embarrassing amount of time. When I was little, my parents took my sister & I for a tour, and we spent what seemed like hours exploring & playing hide-and-go-seek in the gardens, so I was hooked early on. When my now-husband & I got engaged, we looked at a few other venues just to be sure, but knew Oatlands was definitely 'the place'. The gardens are amazing, the historic house is great for touring, and the tent reception is pretty magical being surrounded by the rolling hills of Leesburg. We were 'lucky' to have rain on our wedding day, so we needed to move the ceremony & cocktail hour under the tent. While I was a bit disappointed, everything was executed seamlessly, and our guests still had an amazing time. Abbey worked with my mom more than me since I live & work in NY, although my mom loves her & from my interactions she was great. She is so sweet, very quick to respond to any questions/comments, and open to any thoughts we had - all very important when working with a venues' coordinator! I can't imagine a more perfect place for a beautiful Virginia wedding!

Sent on 11/06/2013
  • Samantha

Samantha · Married on 09/07/2013

Oatlands House and Gardens was the most perfect venue to host our September wedding. It was everything that my (now) husband and I were looking for when we started planning our wedding a year prior. Abbey and her staff were very personable, professional and responsive through the entire planning process. At the time of contract, she provided a recommended vendor list to us; however, due to exclusive vendor agreements with Oatlands, we were required to choose a caterer, party rental equipment vendor, and temporary toilet facilities vendor from the list. With our guest count of 200, we had to contract a specific size tent, and dance floor to accommodate the size. Additionally, we were required to purchase wedding insurance. Abbey worked with our vendors in the last few weeks before the wedding to ensure proper communication, schedule, and delivery of rental equipment. If you are a future bride searching for a venue to host a large wedding ceremony and reception (outdoors), Oatlands is the venue!
    *We had the most beautiful wedding - It was truly a magical day*

Sent on 10/29/2013

Katrina · Married on 06/08/2013

Oatlands was such a dream wedding location! It is absolutely stunning. I felt like I was a princess getting married there! There are SO many places for pictures and lots of things for the guests to do during cocktail hour instead of only just eat and drink such as tours of the mansion and gardens. We got married in June so the gardens were looking absolutely gorgeous. The wedding coordinator is Abbey and she is such a doll. She is very on top of things and super helfup with anything you might need. I would definitely recommend this venue!

Sent on 06/13/2013

Stephanie · Married on 05/25/2013

This venue is absolutely gorgeous!! The perfect place to have a wedding!! Abbey was very helpful and accommodating with all of our questions and concerns.

Sent on 07/30/2013

Meghan · Married on 05/04/2013

Our coordinator at Oatlands was Abbey and she was absolutely amazing. From the random questions I would throw at her, to the day of our wedding itself, Abbey was nothing less than incredibly helpful and pleasant to talk to-- not to mention reassuring and accommodating. My husband and I often talk about how we would love to do the day all over again, because it simply went smoothly. Hands down best day of my life, and Abbey was a big part of that. I didn't have to worry about a thing, and my husband and I were quite grateful for that.

Sent on 07/30/2013

Lindsay · Married on 12/01/2012

Oatlands was a fantastic place for our wedding. Katherine and Abby worked with us through all the details, called our vendors to confirm details and were great. I highly recommend Oatlands!

Sent on 12/05/2012

Samantha · Married on 09/01/2012

I am so happy we had our ceremony and reception at Oatlands. We got SO many compliments on the venue. The mansion is beautiful, the grounds are beautiful, the VIEW from the grounds is beautiful, and it felt pretty awesome to get married somewhere with so much history. Our guests loved the tours of the house during cocktail hour. Katherine Farley was a pleasure to work with -- very on top of things, and she knows how to work with brides who are stressing out the week of their wedding! I highly recommend Oatlands.

Sent on 09/17/2012

Judy and Carl · Married on 08/18/2012

This is a beautiful venue for a wedding. Katherine and her staff were great in assisting our wedding planner. The gardens are lovely and everyone attending the wedding loved the area.

Sent on 09/29/2012

Christine · Married on 06/16/2012

Oatlands Plantation is a simply beautiful venue. The gardens are stunning and my daughters wedding could not have been more perfect. We were most fortunate to have absolutely great weather; sunny and not too hot, which certainly was a plus and made both the ceremony and reception very pleasant. The ceremony was held in the lower garden, which is so lovely with it's gazebo, perfect for the strings players! The reception was held in the the upper gardens which very nicely accommodated all 170 of our guests. Tours of the mansion were available during the reception. Dinner and dancing was under the tent, beautifully situated outside the gardens, in front of the mansion. Katherine Farley of Oatlands was wonderful to work with and she was always helpful and responsive. She was on site during the wedding and we were confident that everything was going to run smoothly. She was also helpful in suggesting our wedding planner, True Wedding Events, and between the two of them, my daughters wedding truely was perfect. I would hightly recommend Oatlands as a venue. It lends itself to an elegant, beautiful wedding.

Sent on 08/21/2012