Norfolk Waterside Marriott Reviews

16 | Norfolk, VA

16 Reviews for Norfolk Waterside Marriott

Ryan Wynn was fantastic to work with throughout the entire process. He made planning for the day and executing our vision a wonderful experience.

Sent on 07/04/2015

Mike · Married on 04/11/2015

My wife and I hosted our wedding earlier this month at the Waterside Marriott in Norfolk, Virginia. Our initial meetings with the Marriott event planning staff, namely Ryan Wynn, was nothing short of exceptional. He immediately did everything he could to make sure we would leave for deployment knowing our wedding was going to be a success. Our coordinator Ryan Wynn, did everything he could to remain in contact with us and continue to organize our wedding. With my wife and I stationed on ships in the Persian Gulf, you can only imagine how stressful this could have been, but with Ryan's expert and professional guidance, the experience proved to be more fun and easy than anything else. We were welcomed home to a meticulous plan for a perfect reception. While we were already immensely satisfied with our service, the white glove treatment didn't stop at our return. With only months to spare and items like menu tasting and floorplans to discuss, Ryan fluidly worked around our schedule to fit everything in without a hassle. This was always transparent and we were always made to feel like his most important priority. We aren't overly complicated couple to work with but we did make a few unique requests to personalize our wedding. Instead of pushback or explanations of how these may not work, Ryan did everything in his power to give us exactly what we wanted to make our day all the more enjoyable. I felt like "no" just wasn't in his vocabulary. On top of that, he skillfully crafted a contract that not only allowed for our requests, but also kept our costs manageable, a priority for my wife and I. The contract we were officially given should be a model for all Marriott planners. My wife and I were left stress-free going into our wedding knowing that everything was in the capable hands of Mr. Wynn. The wedding reception flowed seamlessly and according to our guests, one of the best receptions they had ever attended.

Sent on 06/09/2015

Jeyzel · Married on 03/07/2015

Call it the perfect weather or maybe the love in the air. This venue was the best on this day and what they said they would do, they did it! I had my wedding ceremony at the Poolside Terrace and my Wedding Reception inside the Hampton Ballroom and it was the best event of my lifetime! Everyone was very professional. When I requested a drink, I got one, when it came to the food, everything that came out were full of flavor and smelled delicious! I just wished there were a little more Lobster taste in the Salmon and Lobster combination Plate. But, everything was great and the professionalism that this catering and event staff have is more than I could have asked for. Excellent quality, excellent service, excellent and recommended venue!

Sent on 03/16/2015

Gina · Married on 01/10/2015

Everything about my experience at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott was wonderful! Ryan Wynn is the catering manager, and he did a fantastic job throughout every stage of the planning process. He was very professional, knowledgeable, helpful, and you can tell he truly loves his job! Many of our guests were impressed with both the ballroom and the hotel rooms in which they stayed. The staff was extremely courteous and made everyone feel very comfortable. The food was much better than many other hotel weddings we've attended.

Sent on 01/20/2015

Moma · Married on 11/30/2012

Absolutely wonderful! Such a beautiful location, beautiful hotel and wonderful service.
    Beautiful night. We couldn't have asked for anything more. All of our guests had a nice evening, and many stayed in the hotel as well. Everyone enjoyed their stay as well. The ceremony space and reception areas were perfect and the champagne cocktails were delicious!

Jennifer was our event coordinator and she was fabulous.
    Thank you Jennifer and everyone at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott!

Sent on 12/03/2012

Casey · Married on 05/16/2009

The Norfolk Marriott Waterside was a great place to have the wedding. Brian, who does the wedding planning over this was fabulous to work with. He was so easy to get a hold of, or e-mail if we had any questions about what we wanted to do or look like. He came by the day of the wedding, said hello and offerend help if I needed it. The bartenders, wait staff, and hotel staff were so nice and very helpful to our guests. We even had a wedding crasher, but the hotel took care of that very quickly and quietly. Amazing venue!

Sent on 06/03/2009

Gary · Married on 05/11/2013

We were very pleased with our daugther's expereince at the Marriot Waterside. The staff was very responsive to our needs, even though our wedding was very small and modest in cost. They demonstrated great empathy and patience given that we changed the wedding ceremony venue from inside to outside on the 6th floor deck at the last minute. The food was excellent and our servers professional, polite and very friendly. It is a very pleasant atmosphere pleasing atmosphere. Thank you Norfold Waterside Staff and God Bless!

Sent on 05/19/2013

Amaris · Married on 11/17/2012

This place was amazing, but the thing that made it the best was the wedding coordinator, Jennifer Taylor. She was amazing! She helped me coordinate everything, helped setup the day of and made sure everything went down without a hitch. The food was delicious and the staff was very pleasant. My only complaint would be the service fees they tack on. I had about 80 guests and I did an open bar and I paid over $3000 in just fees. Im sure there was a way around it but i didnt know until it was too late to change anything. However, overall I was very pleased with everything!

Sent on 01/10/2013

juliette · Married on 10/27/2007

We chose the Norfolk Marriott Waterside as the location for our ceremony and reception. Our event was perfect!! The Brian Harvey was great. He is very knowledgable and provided great suggestions and ideas to help our wedding weekend run smoothly. He responded to e-mails right away, and was 100% available throughout our entire wedding weekend.

The food was delicious! The presentation was fabulous! And the wait staff during our reception was friendly and efficient. I honestly could not have requested anything more from our reception venue!

Sent on 03/09/2008
  • Amber

Amber · Married on 06/05/2010

A beautiful backdrop for those brides who want a wedding with timeless elegance. Absolutely gorgeous hotel! Wayne Callis, our coordinator, was great. He worked with our budget, answered questions in a timely manner, and made sure everything ran smoothly. The food and bev are on the pricey side, but the guests raved about the food and bar and how lovely the reception was. My only problem was that the staff started cleaning up 15 minutes before the scheduled ending time...my mom got up to use the restroom, and when she came back her place setting had been cleared (drink and all). A few other guests complained about the same thing. Staff should not start clearing the room until the last dance.

Sent on 06/14/2010
  • I

Jennifer · Married on 10/07/2006

Wonderful event overall! Very helpful with setup and listening to exactly what I wanted.

Sent on 05/08/2008

3.0

We had our reception at the Waterside Marriott in early October 2016 and overall it was a pleasant experience. The first sales rep we worked with ended up leaving the company a few months in, and when the new person in his position took over she had to play catch-up. In the end Samantha (our final rep) was probably my favorite vendor from the whole wedding! She replied to all of my questions promptly & treated us respectfully even though we were on a budget. She was patient when we changed our minds over & over about things. She checked in on me while getting ready the day-of in my suite & again at the reception. She truly became someone I looked to as a friend & advisor during the stressful planning!

Our wedding was the weekend that Hurricane Matthew crashed into the area & hit harder than expected. When my mother and one of my bridesmaids were *almost* stranded in downtown the night before the wedding the Marriott staff was ready to help. I explained the situation & they were happy to give my mother & bridesmaid keys to our bridal suite so they had somewhere to shower & sleep. (They were able to make it home that night after all, but I felt better knowing they had somewhere safe to be just in case!)

The food at the reception was outstanding; our guests raved about the crab cakes & steak. We had a special request for a unique drink that required specialty items like sugar cubes, its own table, etc. and the Marriott staff never hesitated to provide anything we needed. I gave Sam special instructions to give to the bartender & it went smoothly.

My *only* complaint was the pricey service charge. I think I should have asked to see an estimated bill earlier than I did, so the service charge caught us by surprise at the end when we saw the final bill. I think the first sales rep we worked with (who left the company) was probably supposed to give us an estimate so there was a disconnect.

But in the end we were very happy with our choice of reception location!

Sent on 10/31/2016

Jenn · Married on 10/06/2007

3.0

While expensive, the Marriott was worth the money. Brian Harvey was great to work with. The atmosphere was great. The food was excellent.

Sent on 11/25/2007

1.2
      0.5

Event was terrible. Ryan was busy showing our venue to future clients than to help us with issues. Food was not served, bar was put in hall and random people were at it. My wedding cake serving set, unity sand, and actual tier of cake disappeared. Staff was rude. Room was not set to diagram I gave. Due to word limit I can't give all details I would like to but I emailed corporate when no one would return my calls at the hotel. Still waiting to hear back. While venue is stunning experience ruined it. contact me I'll share details gladly. churchland_chick@yahoo.com

Sent on 06/04/2015

a · Married on 06/25/2011

1.5
      2.0
      0.5

This place may have a view that you pay for but their staff is very unfriendly, and was not helpful. They have no place for the wedding party to get dressed if you rent their pool deck unless you pay another $200.00. In addition they charge you a 21% service tax chrage for the pool deck use and this is not disclosed in their contract. They show the service charge under catering services not under banquest facility use.... THIS PLACE IS A RIPOFF!!

Sent on 06/30/2011

0.4
      0.0
      0.0
      1.0

To say that I was disappointed with the Marriott would be a gross understatement. We only used the Marriott for our ceremony and although our space was lovely our contact was difficult to work with. There was no follow through, poor communication, and no trouble shooting. My experience was not favorable and the way I was made to feel about our ceremony on our wedding day was awful. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I had to do everything all over again, it would not be at the Marriott.

I have tried contacting the Marriott to complain about the service we experienced and have not received any reply back both from the Director of Catering and Event Planning (email) or the General Manager (certified letter). After escalating my complaints to Corporate Marriott, I finally was able to get in contact with someone at the hotel. The person who I then spoke to was very apologetic and willing to work with me about the issues I encountered. I appreciated the woman's determination to come to a resolution, which we did.

Sent on 10/31/2012