Mount Vernon Inn Reviews

86 | Mount Vernon, VA

86 Reviews for Mount Vernon Inn

Lindsay · Married on 08/06/2011

We chose to have our reception at Mount Vernon Inn because we wanted a venue that could really speak for itself. After touring and interviewing several other venue sites that were mostly either hotel banquet halls or countryside estates, we realized we didn't want to spend a fortune on decorations which you usually would need to do in those types of venues. We also wanted somewhere that would be more unique than a banquet hall. After our interview at Mount Vernon Inn we went back to try the food a couple of times and get more of a feel for the service. We were very impressed with what we found! The catering team was very professional and friendly to work with, answering all of our questions and taking care of all our needs for the day. On our wedding day, everything flowed exactly as we expected and the staff were incredibly hospitable and welcoming! The decor of the facility has a rugged elegance that was a charming backdrop for the evening. The food was outstanding with savory flavors that our guests still rave about! We had 100 guests for the night and plenty of space for dancing, mingling, and great outdoor seating under the tent in the garden. Everything about Mount Vernon Inn was wonderful and I would say Yes Yes Yes to anyone interested in this venue!

Sent on 10/14/2011

Meg K. · Married on 01/15/2011

We had a great experience with the Mount Vernon Inn. Everyone raved about how great the food was and loved that it was such a unique venue, with a number of smaller rooms instead of one big one. We had 135 guests in the end and it was perfect for the space, although we ended up barely using one of the rooms, so I think they could easily accommodate many more.

The way they do stuff is a bit different from some of the hotels we looked at, which was off-putting at first, but worked out great in the end. I will echo what some of the other reviewers have said in that Matt and Lene can seem to be almost too laid back, but actually they are total professionals who put on a fantastic reception. I loved their low-key manner in contrast with some of the higher intensity people I encountered elsewhere.

One of the things that made it a great deal was how beautifully it's decorated; we didn't waste money on centerpieces or floral arrangements because it was already gorgeous.

A final note: I highly recommend the colonial hoe cakes!

Sent on 02/03/2011

Amy · Married on 06/12/2010

This was the perfect reception venue for us. Matthew was so helpful and prefessional. The food was great. You can just tell these people have experience and know what they're doing.

Sent on 08/03/2010

Catherine · Married on 05/08/2010

We coudln't have asked for a better wedding venue! The inn has everything you need right there (food,tables, linens, china, servers, bar), and it needs very little decoration (it's already beautiful as is)! All of our servers were very attentive, and Matthew Heiss was always willing to work with us when we had changes we wanted to make.

We received soo many compliments on the inn and the food! If you want a venue that will prodide your guests an experience that is truly unique and special, this is definitely the place for you!! We will continue to come to the inn as dinner guests for years to come!

Sent on 05/14/2010

Kristen · Married on 11/14/2009

Mount Vernon Inn was wonderful! Matt and Lene and the entire staff was extremely accommodating--from beginning to end. We received so many compliments on the setting, food, and staff. Amazing! If you're looking for something original and perhaps different than the ballroom feel, then look no further. And the cost was extremely reasonable.

Sent on 11/25/2009

Jenny · Married on 10/04/2008

Not only was this a very unique and romantic site for both our ceremony and reception, it was very reasonably priced and the service and food was exceptional!

Sent on 11/01/2008

Kammy · Married on 12/15/2007

Nearly 2 weeks after the wedding and everyone is still raving about the food and the service of this amazing restaurant. It was the only place either of us wanted to use for our reception, and so we booked it even before we told our families we were engaged. The Mount Vernon Inn did not let us down. At every stage of the game they were professional and responsive to our thoughts and plans. The cocktail hour amazed everyone and they only managed to raise the bar from there. I am hearing compliments about the waitstaff, the cooks (they even made a small hamburger for my nephew when he decided he did not want the chicken fingers we had set up for the kids), and the overall facility. Parking is easy and free, and the buses we used for our out-of-town guests had no trouble loading and unloading. The set up of the rooms (semi-separate, but all intimate and lovely) really lent to the family feel we wanted, while still allowing us to have our formal, black-tie event.
    Matt and Mariita were both tons of help throughout the whole night. I was actually surprised to see them there as long as we were, but I guess I should not have been. They were on top of everything. And the servers were friendly and more than accomodating. Luckily, we are able to have special dinners there as well, so we can attest to the fact that their everyday meals in no way changed when doing service for 150. Our families are still impressed that there was not a "typical wedding meal" in sight. Everything was fresh, cooked to order, and simply amazing.

Sent on 12/27/2007

Kellie · Married on 03/24/2007

My husband and I could not possibly have been any happier with the staff at the Inn at Mount Vernon. They treated us and our guests with the exceptional service and seemed genuinely dedicated to making sure we had the best experience possible. The food was also excellent. Plus, its a beautiful, warm, inviting and unique setting for a reception. We were absolutely thrilled.

Sent on 10/16/2007

Vicki · Married on 10/24/2015

We wanted a few things in a venue for our wedding: delicious food, great value, "all-in-one" convenience and a unique, memorable atmosphere. Mount Vernon excelled in all of these areas and the scenery was gorgeous in the fall. Most people told us they had no idea you could get married there and it is, by far, the best "bang for your buck" in this area. Mount Vernon holds so much meaning and having our wedding there felt so special. We plan on returning for lots of anniversary meals! We had phenomenal service both in planning and on the actual day. Mariita and Tina were very professional and easygoing. I was not the kind of bride that had everything super organized and planned to the minute—just the opposite, actually—but Mariita was so accommodating and helpful every step of the way!
    We had about 85 guests and rented the GW and Verandah rooms as well as the Sunken Garden for our ceremony. So many guests raved to us on how the cocktail hour was the best they had ever been to. Everyone loved the food and drinks! The bacon wrapped breadsticks and the hoe cake station were a huge hit. We also heard lots of great things about the table service at dinner. One of our guests said their waitress was so awesome that she would bring him drinks without even asking him. We were able to save some money in decor and flowers since the charming setting doesn't really need anything. We opted to use their centerpieces and had the tent lined with twinkle lights which looked great at night when we all went out to dance. Mariita took care of setting up all the decorations and coordinated the tent for us so all we had to do was show up. We definitely recommend Mount Vernon Inn and are thankful to their staff for our fantastic experience!

Sent on 03/20/2016

Katie · Married on 06/13/2015

My husband and I loved having our wedding reception at the Mount Vernon Inn. We loved that the venue was meaningful, as it is located on George Washington's estate. We also loved that they were reasonably priced for the services that we received. The number one compliment I receive from guests who attended our wedding was that they LOVED the food, and they go on to reminisce about how they really enjoyed the whole wedding experience. The Mount Vernon Inn provided us with a large variety of appetizers, bar options, and dinner options within our budget, and everything was absolutely delicious. They even cooked and brought out a separate meal for my husband and I because we decided to greet guests during dinner and we ran out of time to eat our own dinner. We stopped midway through dancing to eat our food, and they served each of us a new dinner plate, and it was delicious! It was really nice to know that the staff was so considerate and looking out for us to enjoy our wedding dinner. The atmosphere inside of the inn was really beautiful and does not require decorating from outside vendors, as the character of the restaurant speaks for itself.

We worked with Mariita, and she was a pleasure to work with. She was responsive to my e-mails and willing to work with my suggestions for the evening. She made sure that everything ran smoothly during our dinner and the events of our reception.

The Downside: Even though the restaurant is located at George Washington's Estate, they do not allow you to take wedding pictures on the estate itself. There isn't a whole lot of scenic backgrounds for picture taking directly outside of the venue. There are beautiful trails and woods nearby, however.

Overall: We loved our experience at the Mount Vernon Inn and wouldn't have changed anything about it. We plan on returning to the Inn for a romantic night out together to enjoy the food once more and celebrate our marriage together.

Sent on 01/30/2016

Marianne · Married on 03/21/2015

This was the only venue we looked at. We wanted a Washingtonian wedding and from the very first time we toured the facility, we knew we had to get married here. We worked with both Mariita Campos and Tina Cordova and both were amazing. We had a small group of about 50 guests, but nothing was too much to ask. From the very beginning when I made an email enquiry to the very end right as my vendors were arriving, Mariita and Tina were very responsive and professional. In fact, I felt so comfortable with them that I didn't even hire a wedding planner. They arranged for tasting, set up the center pieces, contacted the party supply for the tent decorations (I recommend doing the tent liner, pole coverings, and paper lanterns for an elegant look), and coordinated the bridal walk down the aisle. The day of the wedding, they even gave us the sitting room for the bridal party to use, even if we only reserved the Verandah Room.

We had a Saturday afternoon wedding and wanted to tour the estate after lunch, and while Mariita and Tina were not able to help us
    arrange this, I simply had to contact the group reservations and got 2 VIP guides to give us a private tour for a very reasonable price. Our guests, most from out of town, were impressed.

Anyone can get married at the Hilton, but how many people can say theygot married at George Washington's estate? And the best part? My husband and I can return to the Mount Vernon Inn year after year to celebrate our anniversary!

Sent on 07/27/2015

Alexandra · Married on 05/17/2014

Mount Vernon Inn made our wedding so special. It was absolutely magical and I loved that we had the whole Inn to ourselves. They were so accommodating and the food was amazing. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone. Excellent service and quality for the price.

Sent on 09/13/2014

Lauri · Married on 06/09/2017

After looking at a couple of other options in the area, we landed on Mt. Vernon for our 10 June 2017 wedding. We booked in August 2016, working with Mariita. She was very responsive and helpful as we began the process of choosing the menu and making payments as the year went along. As we got closer to the time, we did not hear from Mariita. I reached out to her with several questions and we were informed that she no longer worked there. My mother and I were disappointed that we had not been warned that she would be leaving and then put into contact with her replacement. It took several weeks to connect with Ashley, the new Mariita. However, once Ashley was on the case, everything ran smoothly. She was on top of her game. Everything ran seamlessly. She ran the rehearsal the night before beautifully. On the day of, she was a consummate professional. She made sure everything was perfect. Our guests have been raving about the perfection of the day. I cannot thank Ashely and Mt. Vernon enough for giving me and my groom the perfect wedding.

Sent on 06/12/2017

Ramon · Married on 12/28/2014

After an extensive search for a location my partner and I decided upon the Mt Vernon Inn for its historic location to celebrate our historic event. Our initial meeting with Mariita Campos to discuss the arrangements was a joy. Mariita was sincere and open to our needs and suggestions and made a few suggestions of her own which we loved. Prior to the wedding day Mariita had coordinated with all the vendors to ensure that the services would arrive in a timely manner. Upon our arrival Mariita greeted us and gave us a tour of both venues. Both venues were stunning and took our breathe away and our guests felt the same way. Mariita clearly was responsible for such an incredible wedding day. We appreciated all the efforts from the cheerful staff. Not only did we meet a wonderful event planner but we also gained a new friend.

Sent on 01/03/2015

This was a lovely venue for our reception. I only had six months to plan the wedding while my fiance was out of town, and they did a wonderful job of working with me to plan the reception with minimal stress. I found it much easier than working with multiple vendors, as they were able to provide the venue, food, and decoration. They were very easy to work with, and it was a great value for the money. I would highly recommend this venue to couples planning a small wedding, because you can rent out one or two rooms for a good price.

Sent on 08/29/2015

If I could do my wedding over again, I know for sure I'd have it here. The staff is amazing, the quality and value are fantastic (especially considering the area), the venue is beautiful, and the food is delicious! Having a ceremony venue, cocktail area, dinner venue, bartenders, servers, wedding coordinator for the venue, tables, linens, and caterer all in one place made the planning (and paying) process much less stressful. If you have out of town guests, this is also a great location because of the history. I know my family loved it. I highly, highly recommend this location.

Sent on 09/04/2015

Annabel · Married on 04/12/2014

The Mount Vernon Inn was a great venue for our vow renewal! The location itself is beautiful and the food is great! The value is also very reasonable, by far the best I found in the area. We recommend using the tent enhancement in the sunken garden and serving the hoe cake as your starter. The staff was really great too!

Sent on 04/27/2014

Anna · Married on 08/24/2013

My husband and I were married at Mount Vernon Inn last weekend and we can't thank Marita, Cynthia and the rest of the staff enough for making it such a fun, relaxing, and stress-free day. We worked with Marita Campos, Mount Vernon Inn's event coordinator, for the past 6 months to plan and organize our wedding. She was always very responsive and patient in answering our questions and providing us with feedback and ideas.

Cynthia helped during the wedding rehearsal and ceremony as the banquet manager and helpfully introduced herself to our entire wedding party, so they could go to her with any requests, needs, etc.

We initially considered Mount Vernon Inn because it is by far the most affordable wedding venue in the DC metro area. But after reading the reviews about how great the customer service is, we moved quickly to book our wedding with them. And after our experience, we'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Weddings can be overwhelming and stressful, but the entire staff at Mount Vernon Inn bends over backwards to make sure that you deal with as little as possible, allowing you to actually enjoy your own wedding! The service was so exceptional that our friends kept coming up to us during the wedding to tell us how amazing the staff is, and they're still raving about it over a week later!

We can't thank the Mount Vernon Inn team enough!!

Sent on 09/03/2013

Sarah · Married on 06/28/2013

Loved this site for our venue! It was beautiful but not over done, the service was great, they worked with us to fit our budget and then notified us during the event when we got close to the limit we set. We got a lot for our money considering how expensive DC is to get married! Wonderful place!

Sent on 09/24/2013

Kathleen · Married on 11/13/2010

Mount Vernon Inn was a dream come true. My mother found the venue, and at first I didn't even bother looking at the website because I was sure we wouldn't be able to afford anything with Mount Vernon in it's name.

Needless to say I was very wrong, by far the best bang for your buck in the DC area. And we did plenty of research.

The venue's colonial theme and decorations are darling, especially for fall and winter weddings. The food was amazing---people are still raving about the appetizers (especially the sausage puffs and bacon wrapped dates).

Staff was wonderful, extremely attentive. Like other reviewers there were a few times it was hard to reach the event coordinator (one time when my father thought he had an established phone appointment, nobody answered) but I was always able to get what I needed within two days and there was never a point when this presented a major problem for me...

very friendly helpful crew, great food, unique space. we loved it.

Sent on 12/05/2010

Megan · Married on 04/09/2010

We held our dinner reception at Mount Vernon Inn and were extremely satisfied with everything overall! We had a cocktail hour and dinner for a group of approximately 50 people. The Washington Dining Room along with the Verandah were the perfect setting for our evening!

While, as some others have noted, you don't always get a response immediately during the planning phases of your event, the staff is extremely professional and experienced and really knew what they were doing. They were helpful in determining the configuration of tables for our group as well as suggesting decorating ideas.

The appetizers were loved by all, particularly the sausage rolls. We offered dinner options of chicken, beef, and seabass, and for the most part our guests were completely satisfied with their meals - both the chicken and beef were absolutely delicious!

The servers were great and very attentive to our guests. No one ever had to wait for a refill on a drink, and they were good at making suggestions if you didn't know what you were thirsty for!

I would highly recommend a reception or any sort of special event be held at Mount Vernon Inn. It is an historic and unique location that will leave your guests impressed!

Sent on 05/13/2010

Erin · Married on 09/30/2006

BEAUTIFUL, unique place to hold a wedding... I loved it!!!

Sent on 07/14/2009
  • User5202494 · 2+ years ago

Throughout the planning process and during the actual ceremony and reception, both Mariita and Tina and their staff were fantastic. Their collective professionalism with us, warmth toward our families and kindness toward the children in attendance were second to none. They made our wedding special, and all of our guests in attendance commented on the fantastic food and environment at the Mount Vernon Inn. This was due, in no small part, to Mariita, Tina and their team. It was the perfect venue and setting for our wedding event!

Sent on 06/23/2015

Marianne · Married on 05/07/2011

LOVED them! They were perfect, worked with us right up until the day before. Loved that I didn't have to give them numbers until a few days ahead and they worked with us to make it everything that we wanted. Very flexible, wonderful staff!!

Sent on 05/26/2011

Jessie · Married on 05/15/2010

The Mount Vernon Inn was wonderful. The food was delicious; the site was beautiful; and the folks there were nothing but helpful. Our wedding even happened to be on the same weekend as the Mount Vernon Wine Festival. But, it didn't matter. Our guests had a marvelous time and we couldn't be happier! It also is an excellent value, which is difficult to find in the Washington area.

Sent on 06/10/2010