Mill On The River Reviews

26 | South Windsor, CT

26 Reviews for Mill On The River

Krisandra · Married on 10/13/2017

Mill on the river is our favorite restaurant so it only seemed fitting that we had our wedding there. It was absolutely perfect we had our ceremony under the gazebo and the reception upstairs. Everything was taken care of for us & our guests from start to finish. The food was as delicious as it is in the dining room! We couldn’t have asked for a better wedding venue!

Sent on 12/08/2017

Mill On The River's reply:

Wishing you all the love in happiness in the world.
    Mill on the River

Tina · Married on 10/30/2016

I have always loved Mill on the River and as soon as I got engaged I knew there was no other place I wanted to get married at. Mill was the only place we looked at because there was no competition in our eyes.
    We met with Laura 2 years before our wedding date to start the process and she made every part of the planning process extremely easy.
    In regards to setting up as a Bride all you need to do is bring them all your decorations, favors, etc. the day before the wedding telling them how you want it to look and they take care of the rest. Come wedding day I arrived before the ceremony and was able to see everything before anyone else just to make sure it was how I envisioned.
    The staff at the reception were beyond amazing! They were all attentive and very nice to myself, my husband and my guests.
    To any Bride who is considering this venue I recommend to look at the landscape and the pictures of previous weddings that have taken place there and you will see why so many previous couples have chose the Mill to be the start of a very important journey.

Sent on 02/07/2017

Tina & Frank,
    It was such a pleasure taking care of your wedding. Wishing both of you a world of love and happiness.
    Laura

Sara · Married on 09/06/2015

This was our 1st choice out of 5 that we looked at and I am so happy we went with The Mill! We originally considered it because we LOVE their food and the atmosphere there. We were concerned that the quality would suffer when doing such a large event but boy were we wrong- the food was superb and everyone is still raving about it. Laura the event manager at The Mill is great and very accommodating. The only things that could potentially be negatives were that the dance floor is situated in a way that's hard to see when people are sitting to eat or trying to watch the 1st dance and there was slightly poor communication day the day of the wedding which led to some confusion but truthfully those things were not enough to detract from us giving them a 5 star review. The Mill on the River is perfect place to start the rest of your lives.

Sent on 09/26/2015

Kimberly · Married on 04/25/2015

Our wedding was amazing! We couldn't have asked for a better place. The ambiance was amazing, and our guests could not stop raving about how wonderful the food and the service was! I would highly recommend!

Sent on 05/18/2015

Sarah · Married on 02/21/2015

Laura at the Mill on the River was AMAZING!! She like everyone has a day off during the week & makes it known. She deserves more!! My wedding was perfect ! Absolutely perfect! There was a BIG snow storm on my wedding date & she made sure paths were clear so we could take photos in the snow! Loads of guests couldn't attend due to the snow so she had the staff pack up the extra meals. My day was absolutely amazing !! Food was awesome & venue was great!! I wouldn't change a thing

Sent on 08/01/2015

Mill On The River's reply:

Wishing both of you a lifetime of love and happiness

This was a very small private wedding party and they were great working with us. The food was excellent everyone commented that it was the best wedding food they had ever. The only downfall was the cake. Seems it might have been made the day before and fresh out of a fridge. That was the single and only issue. Everything else was exceptional!

Sent on 07/19/2014

Megan and Michael · Married on 10/13/2013

The Mill on the River was recommended to us several years ago when we became engaged. It was always our number spot to get married in. Well, three years later - it was still the perfect venue. My husband and I got married in October and it was absolutely gorgeous. Laura and the staff were tremendous. Although I worried about the details (as any bride would) there was really no need. Everything was taken care of. The gazebo was beautiful and the River Room looked amazing. Our wedding went off without a hitch. It was the most magical and special day of our lives and we could not have done without everyone at the Mill.

Sent on 11/11/2013

Rebecca · Married on 09/21/2013

I had an amazing time and couldn't of asked for a better venue to host my wedding!

Sent on 10/03/2013

mike · Married on 09/14/2013

From the moment we saw Mill on The River we knew this would be our wedding venue. We had the ceremony and reception there. The gazebo out back is absolutely stunning for the ceremony and pictures. We had 110 people and we were in the "Rafters Room" upstairs. The service was tremendous and the food was out of this world. The wedding planner Laura was there to help us every step of the way and made everything nice and easy for us. Thank you Mill on The River for a great experience!!

Sent on 09/28/2013

Melissa · Married on 04/06/2013

Mill on the river is beautiful! The staff is wonderful and very helpful. The food was delicious. I absolutely loved it!

Sent on 12/12/2013

Monica · Married on 10/27/2012

Have always lover the restaurant so when we found out we could have our wedding there we were thrilled. Fabulous food, beautiful location and the prices were amazing.

Sent on 06/09/2015
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 07/17/2016

I fell in love with the Mill as soon as I visited, and I'm so glad I had my wedding here! I was looking for an affordable, all inclusive venue since I was planning from out of state on a budget, and the Mill beats everyone in the area for the value you get! They handled the ceremony, décor, food, bar, and cake for an extremely reasonable price without sacrificing quality at all.

Alexis worked with me throughout the planning and she was very responsive to my emails and phone calls. She was great to work with, and when I finally met her the month before my wedding, she treated myself and my mom to lunch!
    I left my décor at the Mill the next before with an instruction list and everything was set up exactly how I wanted it!

Laura was the venue coordinator on the day of my wedding and she was very accommodating - my officiant was in a car accident and was going to be over an hour later so Laura suggested switching the cocktail hour/pictures and ceremony, which was great for my guests and kept things moving! She also helped bustle my very complicated dress. The only compliant is she was a little short with my husband and some guests but I think with all the commotion she was great with me!

The grounds are beautiful - the gazebo for the ceremony has a view of the lake and they have tons of flowers around (saves on a florist!). Our reception was in the smaller River Room and was so quaint with a great view of the Kissing Bridge! I loved the little garden area off the room that was great to get fresh air and let the kids run around in. The food and cake were absolutely fantastic and again, a wonderful value for what you get! The staff and bartender were also great!

Sent on 07/26/2016

Amy · Married on 11/01/2014

My wedding ceremony and reception were held at The Mill on The River. We loved working with Laura, the banquet manager, because of her efficiency, responsiveness and flexibility with our requests. She has a very calm demeanor; I doubt anything can shake her, and if it does, you'll never know it.

Unfortunately, our wedding day weather did not cooperate with our plans for a gazebo ceremony, but Laura was a very calming presence, and made sure that I was as happy as possible with having the ceremony moved inside at the last minute. Although it wasn't what I had envisioned, it still was beautiful and went off without a hitch.

The food at The Mill on the River is spectacular. Many times at a wedding, you can tell the kitchen is pumping out banquet food, but all of our dishes were handled with care and were absolutely delicious.

The Mill's pastry chef gets five stars herself! I gave Laura photos of what I envisioned, and a flavor cake/filling they don't normally offer, and we were so pleased that it was EXACTLY how we wanted it to be...and it was DELICIOUS!

The decor is perfect for a rustic wedding. Ours was in the afternoon/evening and the white mini lights on the wooden beams in "The Rafters" room was romantic and elegant, but not stuffy.

The grounds at The Mill on The River are meticulously cared for. There are plants and flowers nearly year-round and there are many gorgeous places to have photos taken.

Even if you're not in the market for a reception location, have dinner there or try Sunday Brunch. Seriously, one of the best in the state.

Sent on 11/19/2014

Mark and Sharon · Married on 10/04/2014

We love Mill on the River! Couldn't wait to have our wedding dream event there..Oct 4, 2014.
    We had a small family wedding and although we couldn't use the gazebo as planned for the ceremony due to the rain, the River Room was just great and it worked out fine. My concerns about everything (bride nerves) were unwarranted since Laura came through with calmness and attention to details that I originally thought would be lacking. Laura, a special Thanks to you! The entire staff was pleasant (I didn't expect less, since we have always found this to be true) and very professional. We had requested a slow service for dinner which was perfectly executed. The food excellent as always. Our guests loved the venue, the food, the staff and the warmth and charm of the Mill's atmosphere. It was a lovely day. A perfect place for a romantic intimate Wedding!

Sent on 10/12/2014

Working with Laura was wonderful - planning the wedding from out of state, we were able to communicate mostly via email. She was prompt in responding to my emails and always professional. The venue is beautiful and the food was delicious! In addition, the package that we purchased was a great deal - included food, cake, and open bar! It made planning from out of state much easier by eliminating the number of vendors we had to deal with.

Sent on 09/30/2012

maty · Married on 05/18/2016

Laura, the banquet manager, was wonderful! She went over details with me and was very receptive of how I wanted things set up. The ceremony was in the gazebo and it was perfect; the reception went well also and the staff was very attentive. The banquet coordinator that was originally assigned to me was not very responsive, so I was lucky she was away and I got to work with Laura the week of my wedding. I was a little disappointed with my food that day bc we chose a higher end package that includes better meat cuts; we've had dinner there previously and the food was always great. I ordered the prime rib as my wedding dinner and half of it was pure fat. My guests, however, were raving about how good the food was, it must have been an isolated case. I'm sure they would have given me another plate, but I didn't ask (finally relaxed!) :)

Sent on 05/31/2016

Jessie · Married on 07/13/2013

2.5

The wedding was beautiful. The only reason they don't get five stars is because it was really hard to get in touch with banquet manager when planning she would only email me back half the time

Sent on 07/23/2013

3.0

When booking at MOTR we were told a few things that did not happen the day of the wedding. its frustrating when you've spent so long planning and things are not executed the way you invisioned it. I left specific instructions and i feel as though if i was not there, they would have not be executed properly. The staff was very professional and very nice. The bartender we had for the reception he was great! the food was fantastic our guests could not stop talking about how great the food was!! Trying to get ahold of Laura during the week was really hard, considering she is off Wednesdays and Thursdays. she does have an assistant that helps her, however it does not seem like they have a great system of communication with each other. there were just a few very important things did i felt did not go as smoothly as i had hoped they would, the day of.
    I rated the Quality of service a 4 out of 5. I took away one star for the confusion and unorganization on the day of our wedding.
    I rated the Responsiveness a 3 out of 5. Because it would take a week for someone to email me back, unless i called and asked for someone to check their email. there were some things we were told would happen, that didnt happen.
    I rated the Professinalism a 4 out of 5. The staff was VERY PROFESSIONAL... but i did get a few rude comments and a small attitude from some people that were there. I felt as though the bride and the groom should have a been a bit more special that day than the rest. considering the amount of money we dropped on the wedding
    I rated the Value a 5 out of 5. You will go so much inside the package. i'm pretty sure that guests didnt have to eat for 3 days after our wedding!
    I am rating the Flexibility a 4.5 out of 5. sometimes it seemed as though it was an inconvieniance that we were there.
    hope this helps people who read it!

Sent on 10/16/2013

3.8
      3.0

I was married this past spring at the mill on the river. Laura, the banquet manager was always quick to respond or answer any questions. Day of the wedding I was a little disappointed. Aa guests were arriving, no one escorted them to be seated prior to the ceremony. Most of my guests walked around confused until I advised staff of the problem. After the ceremony my guests did not know where to go. Most of them wandered around until they were pointed in the right direction. The food was great! I still hear rave reviews about the raw bar and dinner. Our bartender was awesome and was able to handle the rowdy bunch attending. Overall, it was nice however I envisioned things running a little more smoothly.

Sent on 08/15/2016

Rebekah · Married on 09/21/2013

3.8
      3.5

I had the ceremony of my dreams. The only thing I will say however is that because they do so many weddings sometimes I felt like the staff was a little insensitive to my needs and concerns. The food was amazing, some of the staff was rude to my guests during the reception, we had an amazing server named Beth she was so helpful and catered to everything we wanted. Overall it was beautiful and I had the wedding I wanted. I would recommend it, for the price it was an amazing value. Open bar was great bartenders were fun!

Sent on 11/11/2013

Jennifer · Married on 06/25/2011

3.6
      2.0

I would say everything overall went fairly well. My biggest disappointment was that dinner service was extremely slow. Some of my guests had started leaving before the entree course had come out. It was 10pm and no one, not even me (bride) had gotten their entree yet. I had to go over to the wait staff service area to ask what was going on.

Everyone raved about the food (it was delicious). The facility is nice however if you're in the large room upstairs, there is NO bathroom up there, which means that your intoxicated guests have to go down a flight of stairs to get to one. This was tough with a wedding dress on. And the restroom that is there is not suited for someone in a bridal gown (small stalls, not the cleanest). Also, where they have the bride/groom sit on front of the window, there are some guests who are unable to see you from their seat during dinner service. And there is NO bridal suite here.

They were able to accommodate some special requests which was nice.

If you have an appointment with one of the wedding coordinators, expect that they will run an hour late. The only meeting they were on time for was our initial meeting when we were looking at the premesis for the first time. All other meetings we had, they made us wait for at least an hour. We have a one year old, and keeping her happy for an hour is very difficult.

Sent on 07/25/2011

Jodi · Married on 10/11/2008

3.4
      3.0

The waitstaff was fantastic.

Sent on 03/01/2009

Kaitlyn · Married on 05/27/2010

2.2
      2.0

The ceremony was beautiful. The reception just o.k. The problem was the wedding coordinator gave the impression she did not want to work. When we arrived there was dog poop on the path the bride had to walk down. It took three attempts by my sister to get it removed. When planning the wedding there were surprise costs that where not told up front. We were never asked if we wanted seating for the ceremony, it came up in conversation then we were told we would be charged. When some guests asked for silverware the response was these are finger foods. The last straw was when we had some guests arriving late we asked for some food to be set aside and were told no!

Sent on 09/07/2010

michelle · Married on 09/04/2015

1.2
      1.0

I had my wedding at The Mill on the River almost 2 weeks ago..the staff was HORRIBLE and RUDE! While the venue is beautiful and the food is great, I would stay away from this venue for catering or weddings! The bartender was swearing at my guests and complaining that she wasn't getting enough tips. I had half a table of people who did not get what they ordered and were told by the waitstaff that they "ran out" of their food order..how can you possibly run out if you are a RESTAURANT?! The manager did nothing to fix this problem, except blame my guests, claiming that they "must have changed their order"..which wasn't the case. After the ceremony, no one directed my guests where to go for the reception..which turned into a mess of people not knowing where to go! I was extremely disappointed with the manager and her behavior. I would never recommend this venue to anyone!

Sent on 09/29/2015

T · Married on 04/01/2011

1.2
      1.0

My fiance and I were set on having our wedding here after meeting with the wedding planner, Amanda. We tried to go in the next week to sign a contract and she went on vacation for two weeks. We spoke with the other wedding coordinator who actually knew what she was talking about and found out that the additional costs that were originally discussed as "included" were not.

We did not want an open bar and so Amanda showed us dinner packages. We loved the buffet, reasonable and simple at $28.95, discussed what was included and not, went on to look at the premises and discuss the options there. We left happy and felt like we found our place.

In speaking with the other coordinator, we found out that we were going to have to pay an additional cost of $5.95 to serve sodas/juice per person. We would also be charged $1 per napkin to have anything other than chocolate. I was very upset with this and knew right away that it was going to be over our budget (add 19% gratuity & 6% tax to everything). We tried to bargain with them because we weren't going to have a 4 hour reception but the charges stood regardless of what their employee gave us for information.

Their response to us was that she must have been talking about the wedding package which does include all of this and open bar, etc. We quickly said that was not the case because she had not even pulled out the wedding packages because we were clear from the start there would be no open bar or even a cash bar.

We find it completely unprofessional and based on other reviews we read online about this facility, we should have known better and not gotten my hopes up from the start. We read negative reviews about the venue and coordinator.

We learned our lesson!!