62 Reviews for Michael Stephens Photography

Toning (1)
Prints (1)
Save the Date (1)
60 Michael Stephens Photography Reviews

I first met Michael at a bridal expo in my area and I knew right away that he would be a perfect fit for us. When I first mentioned Mike to my fiancé, he was a little hesitant… then we agreed to book Michael for engagement photos… we had such a wonderful time! The day was filled with laughter and it felt so natural, so much so that for weeks we couldn’t stop talking about how much fun we had. We were so sure about the session at the end of it that we were already set on requesting his services again for our wedding. We just recently received our photos back and they came out AMAZING!! We both feel so very fortunate to have met him and we can’t wait to work with him again.

Profile Picture User6971798, Recently Married, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Admit it – you’ve spend hours – no, weeks, browsing Pinterest for wedding décor and photo inspiration. You’ve definitely second guessed DIY-ing 80 potted plant escort cards. And you’ve wondered whether it’s possible for your wedding photos to really look THAT GOOD. Well, he can’t help you with all of your impossible wedding DIY’s, but Mike will most definitely deliver wedding photos that are THAT GOOD – no, BETTER!
In all seriousness, Mike was a pleasure to work with and the photos he delivered after our engagement shoot (at Disneyland!) and after our wedding were phenomenal. I am on cloud 9. He edited every photo to perfection and I love that he gave us a few black and white photos too. He definitely knows the right way to present an image.
I also have to give props to his assistant that day. I think her name was Hannah. Very friendly and professional and I felt comfortable with her right away.
Mike was very helpful in developing a day-of timeline. When I gave him my timeline he wasn’t shy about saying he needed more time before the wedding for bridal party photos. We were able to move up hair and make-up and fit in an extra hour or so for photos. This is the kind of thing you don’t know as a bride and your vendors should tell you, and I’m so glad he did.
I will mention that it did take a little longer than “usual” for us to get our photos, which I don’t think is the norm for Mike. We had all the major holidays come up right after our October wedding, which may have been a factor. I know Mike also had some technical difficulties. Fortunately he is a true professional that has backups!! As soon as he did deliver the images I could barely breath I was so excited. I knew 100% that I had hired the right guy!
If it’s a priority for you to have the most beautiful wedding photos you will cherish for a lifetime, definitely invest in Mike. He won’t disappoint you.

Profile Picture Jamie, 10/14/17, 1 Review
Category: Photography
Services Used: Second Shooter, Destination / Travel, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Digital Files

Michael Stephens is AMAZING. Our second shooter was Ashley Furtado and they make the best duo ever. The photos are absolutely stunning, my husband and I will cherish them for the rest of our lives.

His professionalism, "go-with-the-flow" attitude, and talent really sets him apart from other photographers. He made family portraits totally painless and the pictures turned out beautiful. He is so thoughtful, even making sure we were hydrated while taking pictures. Everybody loved him so much, my bridesmaid even hired him to do her pictures for her wedding!

The only drawback is that the photos did take longer than expected to come back to us, but it was well worth the wait. Make sure you book him fast! He is popular for a very good reason. Thank you so much Michael!!!

Profile Picture Audrey, 9/30/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Photography
Services Used: One Event/Day, Second Shooter, Additional Hours, Destination / Travel, High-Res Images, Wedding Portraits, Digital Files

If you are reading reviews searching for a wedding photographer, your search is over! You will not go wrong with choosing Michael to capture your special day. It took me weeks to research photographers, and finally we chose Michael based on multiple friend referrals, his reviews online and his awesome portfolio. He is hands down the best on the central coast. He is not only a kind and patient human, but his photography skills are out of this world, and you will be thrilled with all of your photos - capturing all the details and best moments. Michael made my husband and I feel extremely comfortable throughout the entire process. He was also able to miraculously corral 9 groomsmen and 9 bridesmaids, and our huge family to get all our photos done on time. His second shooter was Ashley, who was also a dream to work with. Super sweet and takes amazing photos herself, so no matter what you are going to get amazing photos! Working with Michael and Ashley was so effortless and they really put your best interests at heart. I could go on writing how much we love Michael and love our photos, but honestly all you need to know is he is worth every penny, because at the end of the day all you want is someone who will blend in and capture your day beautifully. Michael did all of that and more. Thank you, Michael!

Profile Picture Samantha, 9/9/17, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Second Shooter, Engagement Shoot, Wedding Portraits

Michael was an absolute joy to work with! He was professional, kind, flexible, experienced, and made everyone including me, my husband, my bridesmaids and groomsmen, and everyone attending the wedding feel comfortable and cared for. He brought along Ashley as his second shooter and she was also so kind and made the perfect compliment to Michael's skills and gifting. Our photos turned out beautifully even though they had to work around less than favorable lighting conditions. Michael is definitely worth every penny he charges and then some. 10/10 would recommend!

Profile Picture Rae, 8/13/17, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Michael was perfect. His great sense of humor made us calm and relaxed enough that all of our photos look true and real instead of posed. He was incredibly professional and I have heard nothing but amazing things about him from our guests. There is not a single thing I could say about his work or him that I might have wanted different, he is amazing. Michael spent so much time making sure that everything was perfect for us. I cannot recommend him enough! His photos are truly amazing and it is all pure talent, not photoshop. Professionalism, value, personality, and product, Michael is the best photographer in the central coast area of California if not the entire state. Every bride deserves to know that she is getting the most amazing photos of her special day like I did with Michael!

Profile Picture Lauren, 8/5/17, 9 Reviews
Category: Photography

My wife and I hired Michael for our wedding day and we cannot thank him enough! He and Ashley did such an amazing job the day of our wedding...kept things super lively and fun throughout the entire time. They both have a great eye and a keen sense of various photo opportunities. We had our wedding at The Cliffs Resort and the landscape was captured just perfectly thanks to Michael. We hired Michael and his team for pretty much the whole day and there wasn't an opportunity that was missed!
We received our photos within a timely manner and all we can say is....wow! They turned out so great and looking at them truly brought us back to our wedding day. It also gave my wife and I an opportunity to see what we weren't able to see because we were busy or occupied with something else.

Many thanks to Michael and Ashley for capturing our wedding day - truly memorable!

Definitely would recommend!!

Profile Picture Gabriel, 7/29/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography
Services Used: One Event/Day, Second Shooter, Additional Hours, Destination / Travel, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations, Wedding Portraits, Digital Files, Proofs

Michael was amazing, all around. From his work ethic, professionalism, quality of work and final delivery, all were top-notch. Thank you again, you're 1 in a million!

Profile Picture John, 7/17/17, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Mike is the best! Our wedding pictures are super beautiful nothing but good things to say about Mike, any concerns or questions we had he was super quick to answer! He made my husband and I very comfortable we normally don't like to be in the spotlight but he made us laugh and just made the whole photo shooting experience super AMAZING!!! I highly recommend him to any couple that's looking to have astonishingly beautiful pictures to have for a lifetime! We truly can't thank Mike enough for all the help and once again for all the stunning pictures!

Profile Picture Rosemary , 6/10/17, 1 Review
Services Used: One Event/Day, Second Shooter

I do not have enough great things to say about Michael Stephens Photography. We looked at many SLO area photographers online and chose Michael because we loved his style. From the moment we booked him, he was super professional and was easy to reach. He even sent us a nice card & Starbucks gift card via snail mail to thank us for choosing him prior to our wedding day. Closer to the time of the wedding, we had a nice convo with him on the phone to discuss some details since we were unable to meet him before our wedding day (out of town wedding).
He and his assistant (second shooter), Ashley, were super professional and fun. Mike and Ashley's personalities put us at ease and made our photo sessions super fun. Mike's personality if the type that felt like we had known him our entire lives even though we'd just met. That's how comfortable he made us feel! It was SO much fun. We laughed, I twirled in my gown, and it was a super special time for me and my husband. My husband said Mike really calmed his nerves as I was creeping up behind him for our "first look". I honestly cannot imagine anyone else shooting our wedding after having him there.
As for the photos....they turned out AMAZING!!!! His style is just perfect and exactly what we were looking for. He really surprised us when he pulled out a freaking DRONE for some awesome aerial shots. All of our friends and family have raved about the photos and he took a TON. Our entire experience with Mike was worth EVERY penny.
You will not be disappointed if you choose him as your wedding photographer. Book him, FAST!! Oh, he was also able to set up his awesome photo booth for rent in our friends old air stream which made for an awesome & fun photo booth experience!! Super accommodating.

Profile Picture Sydney, 4/29/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Mike went above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being a photographer. Not only did he capture beautiful moments on our day, but he helped out with so much more. Mike was fun, creative, and brought a much needed sense of 'calm' to the bride.

Profile Picture Alexandria, 1/28/17, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

I have only wonderful things to say about Michael Stephens Photography. He perfectly captured our wedding day memories. In the days leading up to our wedding he listened to what our expectations were and answered all of our questions with a friendly reassuring confidence that was all we needed to know we picked the most awesome photographer. Our photos came out AMAZING and he and his second shooter made photographing our wedding fun and memorable. I honestly cannot thank him enough. He's also just a pretty cool person to get to know. Send him a message and give him a call... you'll see :)

Profile Picture User7636902, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Michael is not your "cookie cutter" wedding photographer, he is unique and amazing! The visions he has for the pictures are top notch and come out great! He has a great way to make you feel comfortable when taking pictures, because lets be honest...it can get awkward at time :) . He goes out of his way to make you laugh and feel important. From the moment we saw his pictures we knew...this was the photographer for us! He will email and text you as you are planning your wedding to make sure you don't have any questions and he is also very responsive when you reach out to him.

The most important thing and what he did to perfection....he told a story with the pictures he took. Every single picture my wife and i had a conversation about...isn't that what you want? He made our day that much more special and i would recommend him to anyone!!

Profile Picture Armando, 9/3/16, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography
Services Used: One Event/Day, Second Shooter, Additional Hours, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance, Multi. Locations, Slideshow, Albums, Digital Files

If you are looking for a GREAT wedding photographer BOOK MICHAEL! Now! You will not regret it!

Michael is professional, super cool, calm and organized. Joey and I went to a bridal show at the Madonna Inn and Michael Stephens made an impression on us. His style of photographing weddings was just what we were looking for: photojournalistic. Also, we were looking for a photo booth, because who doesn’t like those!? So we booked Michael’s Beard Booth in addition to his photography services. He provided a cute album with all the photo booth pictures that were taken.

Michael knows and understands how crazy and stressful it is for the bride and groom on their wedding day and he was so helpful in keeping us calm and on schedule. He made us and our whole wedding party comfortable. He just does his work so effortlessly. We had numerous comments from our guests of how professional and great Michael was at our wedding.

When we received our wedding photos, we smiled, laughed, and teared up while looking through the digital album. Michael did an amazing job capturing our whole day, from our ceremony to the last second of the last song. He captured all the little details. He even posted a sneak peak of our wedding the day after!

Thank you Michael for the amazing photos which we can look back and share with our loved ones.

Profile Picture Gretzen, 8/20/16, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Digital Files, One Event/Day, Second Shooter, High-Res Images

Michael was an absolute pleasure to work with. He was professional, responsive and polite. His level of service is a model for others. Michael could have a second career teaching people who to interact with clients and potential clients. As for the quality of his work - OUTSTANDING. I mean, really super high-end quality work. His fee was very fair especially relative to the quality of work delivered. Wile we had x amount of time scheduled, he went over and didn't shave minutes or anything like that. You don't have to believe me - check out his website for yourself and you'll see first-and the spectacular quality of his work. We'll definitely try to use Michael again in the future when we need our portraits taken or even for a special event. I should also say we wanted to use one of these wedding pictures for our announcement and he went out of his way to provide us a few options in a couple of days. Thanks Michael for the great service, professionalism and wonderful pictures.

Profile Picture Michael, 8/12/16, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Michael was the perfect fit for our wedding! He made us feel extremely comfortable from the moment we met him. He was easy to work with, and always made us feel like we were the most important clients he had. To top it all off, we have the most beautiful wedding photos to look at for the rest of our lives!

Profile Picture Taelor, 7/23/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Michael was a wonderful photographer. We felt immediately at ease with him. He took our engagement photos at Avila Beach and our wedding photos at El Presidio de Santa Barbara. I would definitely recommend getting an engagement session so you can get used to the photoshoot process. Our photographs were beautiful and we will certainly treasure them for years. I cannot recommend him enough and would suggest him to any of my friends.

Profile Picture Alexandria, 7/16/16, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Working with Michael was one of the best parts of our wedding! Easy going, friendly, will give honest answers, and of course, great photos. We were a silly bunch and he completely rolled with it :) . Really appreciated that he works with a second shooter (Melissa, she was also fantastic) which was especially nice to capture different angles during the first look.

He's great professionally, and at the same time someone we could imagine getting beers with. Very happy that we worked with him. I would reach out to him again for other events.

Profile Picture G, 7/2/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Photography

I would book in advance and definitely do an engagement session so you have a chance to meet Michael Stephens before the big day. Michael is such a professional, he makes having your picture taken easy and enjoyable whether or not you are a "picture person". After seeing our engagement photos, we couldn't wait for the wedding, and the pictures did not disappoint. I have so many incredible pictures, not just of my husband and me, but also of family and friends. Michael has mastered how to use light and unfiltered surroundings to create breathtaking pictures that look more like paintings and works of art versus typical wedding photos. He is truly talented with an impressive portfolio that speaks for itself. No gimmicks, no props - just Michael, the happy couple and a natural backdrop he brings to life. Seeing our pictures brought me right back to our wedding day (happy tears and all), and I am deeply grateful Michael was able to so beautifully capture these moments. I have nothing but sincere and heartfelt praise for all of his abilities. I would (and already have) recommended him to family, friends, coworkers, etc. And the best part, Michael's temperament is so easygoing and relaxing, you will feel like old friends right from the start.

Profile Picture Leslie, 6/18/16, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Photography

Michael was our photographer for our wedding, and he did a fantastic job. We couldn't be happier with the outcome. He captured our day to it's entirety; everything from the moment we got ready to the moment we left the venue. We each spent the morning in opposite sides of the city, but he accommodated us with an excellent second shooter and didn't skip a beat, capturing both parties. He also did an wonderful job capturing the entire wedding party together of twenty! Beyond his photography skills, he is very professional and personable. He kept everything on schedule and in a kind manner. We felt at complete ease with him, which is something so important when it comes to a day as important as your wedding. It allowed us to be our true selves and our photos are not only stunning quality but also effortless because of it. We appreciate how many images Michael sent us, it is so nice to be able to look at everything and decide what is special to us instead of only getting a small number of photos. We have received countless compliments on Michael's photography of our big day. Would gladly recommend him for any shoot!

Profile Picture Katie, 5/15/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Digital Files, Second Shooter

I met Mike at a bridal fair, saw one photo that caught by eye, and was hooked and knew I wanted him to capture my wedding. What I didn't know was how amazing it would be to work with him! My husband and I are not "photogenic" and over the many years we've been together we only have a couple pictures together so we weren't really sure what to expect with a professional photographer. Mike made the whole process so so easy and natural. We opted to do the engagement session and he immediately put us at ease and made us feel comfortable. I think my husband was more interested in chatting with him than getting our photos taken!
Mike was super helpful in the planning process for our wedding day and gave us great advice on our timeline, as well as being flexible with us and doing everything he needed to get great photos. AND our engagement and wedding photos both blew us away. They are a perfect reminder of our day down to the smallest detail and we can't stop looking at them, even months later!
Mike is a professional, but he's also a lot of fun to work with - plus he made us feel like supermodels. He is amazing and you won't regret working with him!

Profile Picture Heather, 4/29/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Photography
Services Used: Digital Files, One Event/Day, Second Shooter, Additional Hours, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations

One word - awesome. Mike was suggested to us by our wedding planner and it was one of the best wedding decisions we made. His level of enthusiasm generally for what he does for a living and specifically for shooting our wedding was the clincher for us in deciding between him and one other photographer. In addition to that, his rate is very reasonable, he's a super nice guy with a cool beard and great taste in beer and, most importantly, his photos are breathtaking.

From the beginning, Mike made things easy for us. My husband and I (my husband in particular) are not super comfortable in front of the camera. So we weren't too keen on taking any kind of photos, let alone engagement photos. Not only would it be an additional day of photo-taking on top of the wedding, but engagement photos always seem to come off as cheesy. Mike convinced us to do it - he said it would really help us get used to him and the camera so on the wedding day, we would feel more comfortable. Genius move. It made such a huge difference on the wedding day. And our engagement photos were almost as cool as our wedding photos!

At the wedding, he and his assistant Melissa made the photo parts of the day go smoothly and quickly. We did some group and family photos after the ceremony - it was fast and organized like an assembly line so we could get to cocktail hour and spend some time with our guests. At the reception, he was like Spider Man, everywhere and nowhere - I don't even remember seeing him around but he was there capturing moments! We got so many compliments from our guests after the wedding - everyone loved him.

And when we got our photos back, I was floored. Absolutely stunning. I can't even pick my favorite 10 - he got off so many good shots I was absolutely amazed. We look like models, thanks to Mike! All in all, an amazing experience with an extremely talented photographer. I'd hire him again in a heartbeat.

Profile Picture Janine, 4/2/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Photography

Michael Stephens did an awesome photography at our wedding. We didn't request for second shooter, yet he brought one anyway to maximize his time with us. We wanted to have photo booth, and he said he was trying it out for first time, so he gave us a great deal, but I think we got a way too good of a deal for his photo booth.

We also just got our photos back from him in about a month and half (his contract is for 90 days to return the photos back to the couple). The photos are amazing. I love his use of color and geometry in the photos. Simple and yet elegant.

Highly recommend him for your wedding, photo shoot, or just about any other event that you would like to remember by photos.

Profile Picture Sehyun, 3/19/16, 1 Review
Services Used: Second Shooter, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations, Digital Files

Finding a photographer for our big day was super overwhelming! All profiles sounded great and what any bride wanted to hear, but Michaels was down to earth. Alex (my now husband) adored his photos and loved what he called "the in the moment" pics. We both wanted someone to help capture our personalities in the photographs but also something that would not look dated in the years to come. Michael and his team did just that! It also helped that when meeting Michael for the first time (on the day of), he was personable, immediately well liked by everyone I talked to, and he knew my special references to Star Trek for my late father. He was professional, had our sense of humor, and we could not be any more happy and beyond grateful for such beautiful wedding photos.

Profile Picture Alicia, 2/27/16, 5 Reviews