McMenamins Kennedy School Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2014 Winner

• Marie
    Marie B. Married on 02/22/2020

Wonderful wedding reception

The planning was made easy for us. The space was beautiful. Food and beverage was delicious.
    Katie Married on 09/28/2019

We love this place!

This place is perfect for those who are so over the fluffy white generic weddings and are looking for something special they will never forget!
  • Elise
    Elise M. Married on 05/10/2019

perfect wedding in a beautiful setting

cannot recommend this place enough! my wedding was truly perfect because of the venue, staff and everything that went on during the planning process and on the actual wedding day! the edgefield coordinator, tyson, was a dream to work with: always available for questions, suggestions and 100% transparency until the very end. the venue was beautiful, staff was attentive, friendly, and could deal with any minor mistakes that always end up happening. the food was delicious, hotel was clean and everything was set up according to the wedding day plan (reception/ceremony). we also used an outside day of coordinator and a photographer from their referral list and they were awesome as well! it's so easy to have the catering, reception, ceremony, and rehearsal dinner at one place and to be able to stay there as well! do yourself a favor and have your wedding here, you won't regret it!
  • F
    Frank Y. Married on 11/09/2018

such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you

Our's was more than a wedding, it was an experience. we showed a movie, held a memorial for a friend since passed, and it couldn't have been better. The staff, the food, the decorations were expertly executed. So many staff willing to go the extra mile to help us not only look, but feel amazing the whole time. Mandy Orvis, was an amazing coordinator from the Kennedy School, she and her staff went the extra mile time and again to help us make fantasy a reality. Each person from the wait staff to the catering managers, were kind, attentive and willing to work with us every step of the way. this venue is so unique in it's style and feel, it's truly a Portland institution that has to be experienced to be appreciated. I would recommend that anyone looking for truly authentic piece of Portland History to be wed, or simply stay for an evening, check out the Kennedy School. Be sure to get a pint of Terminator Stout, if you're so inclined. My wedding was everything and so much more than I could have hoped.
    Areta Married on 06/30/2018
    Our recent commitment ceremony at the Kennedy school was very successful. The staff, from Kim, the event planner to the caterers to the set-up and clean-up staff were very responsive to our requests, made useful suggestions when we weren’t sure about some decisions, and reassured us all along the way. The day of the event couldn’t have gone more smoothly and Suzanne and Heather were very attentive and helpful to our queries and requested adjustments on the day. . Everything went off without a hitch. The price was quite reasonable and we felt very satisfied about the value for money.
    We couldn’t be happier with our decision to hold the event at the Kennedy School.

Monica Married on 05/26/2018
    We live in Washington and had our wedding here. Everything was perfect!!! The food was amazing, Jennifer was a fabulous coordinator, the waitstaff was awesome and everyone had a fantastic time!!!!
    Mary Married on 12/28/2017
    This place is a gem and they have weddings down! They made the planning process so easy for us and they took great care of us and our guests on the big day.
    Marie Married on 11/04/2017
    Working with Mandy and the Kennedy School was a dream. They have done this a million times and will go out of their way to be accommodating. Very affordable, unique, and excellent service! Have your wedding here!
    Tashaka Married on 10/13/2017
    Peter gave us the tour.... knowable and fun! Mandy was our main go to for the event. She was there every step of the way to answer all my questions in a very timely manner. She even helped me pick the colors of the liens and the tables! The space was perfect for our small Hogwarts wedding! I can’t say enough about the staff. The team captain was quick and always one step ahead of us! They even help these first time bride and groom managed the flow of the reception. Everyone had a great time and I felt extremely less stressed knowing I had them on my team.
    Sheril Married on 09/02/2017
    Had our daughters wedding in the courtyard and reception in gym. Would highly recommend McMenamins Kennedy School to host event. The grounds are beautiful and staff were great to work with. We rented two rooms for two day to have area for bridal party to get ready. Would do it again.
    Stephanie Married on 07/21/2017
    I cannot recommend the Kennedy School more highly for an event. I was planning a wedding for 85 guests from 5,000 miles away and didn't have time to hire individual vendors. I am originally from Portland, Oregon, so I was already familiar with McMenamin's food and beverage service, but really was blown away by the level of service we had from our Sales Coordinator (Peter Liptak) and all of the Catering/Event Staff. Peter helped me coordinate the entire thing via email (and one last minute visit!) and was super responsive. On the day of our event, all of the staff was on point and helped to create the perfect day for us and our guests. And the value that McMenamin's offers is unparalleled - the space, the tables/chairs, linen, EVERYTHING was included and made it so easy to manage the budget. I was so happy I went with Kennedy School for my event - all went off without a hitch.
    Chelsea Married on 06/18/2016
    Kennedy School was the perfect spot for our wedding! Peter and Mandy were awesome and very helpful through the entire process. They answered our many questions about the menu and logistics, and coordinated the venue perfectly. We had the Gym and the Courtyard, and those two spaces were great for our wedding with about 90 guests. We ended up having the ceremony inside the Gym because of rain, and that still worked out really well. When the weather cleared up it was awesome having the outdoor space in the Courtyard for people to get fresh air (and to play corn hole, which we rented through Kennedy School and was a lot of fun). The food was great and the bar staff was really nice and did a great job. Everyone said they thought the venue was really unique and fun, and with McMenamins taking care of so much it really made planning a lot easier for us. They even boxed up our leftovers from our wedding cake and the buffet, so we had plenty of food to take home with us!
  • Hannah
    Hannah Married on 09/12/2015
    I had my wedding at the Kennedy School on September 12, 2015. It was such an incredible day, and the Kennedy School was a major factor in making it that way. From the time we booked with Amanda, I was amazed at the speedy customer service. She was so quick and helpful with any questions we had. The service on the night of by the staff was top notch as well. Most of my guests had never been to a Mcmennamins and were blown away by the charm and quirkiness that our venue provided. I hardly used any decor so the schools unique personality could shine through. I got several complements on the food and beers as well. Look no further if you want a beautiful and unique venue that will make your wedding shine.
  • User2322379 2+ years ago
    We stayed our entire wedding weekend in our venue. We were treated like rock stars! Our day was perfect! The staff was amazing! I wish I could relive that weekend over and over!
    Caitlin Married on 07/19/2015
    This was the absolute perfect wedding venue. Our ceremony was held in the courtyard and our reception followed in the gymnasium, and both were perfect. We had 60 guests, almost all from out of town, and they were unanimous in their satisfaction with and praise for the Kennedy school. There is so much to do--movie theater, soaking pool, four different bars/restaurants--that you don't even need to leave the hotel to have a good time. But the location is also great for venturing out and seeing Portland. Our event coordinator was Beth, and she was great to work with. She was very responsive to questions and made the planning process super easy and straightforward. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.
    Kelsey Married on 11/08/2014
    This was the venue for my ceremony and reception, which I had in the same room. It was super easy and stress free! They removed some of the tables from the dance floor after the ceremony to accommodate the reception dancing. We had a bar, and food, and both were delicious! The venue was really fun and beautiful. We received so many compliments on it!!
    Signe Married on 07/26/2014
    Just married there! Everything about it was fantastic. Everyone we worked with was a joy to work with and everyone seemed vested in making our event a success. And it was. We used the outdoor courtyard and gym for our reception, ceremony, buffet dinner and dancing. We got lots of compliments on our choice of venue from our guests. Can't say enough good about this place.
  • User1788512 2+ years ago
    It will be really difficult to write a review that can accurately convey my satisfaction, and even pride, in choosing the Kennedy School for our wedding and reception. That may seem like an overstatement, but even two months later, I have friends and relatives regularly point out how excellent the experience was here.

Firstly, I had to plan long-distance, and Amanda was assigned to us, as our coordinator. She very patiently explained the process, indulged my million questions, coached us on the layout, and worked with my parents extensively on the menu and the contract details. She was very responsive, and made me feel well taken-care-of throughout the whole process.

The building itself was outstanding. I really loved it, and it really spoke to my and my husband's personalities. The quirky artwork, many bars, and general feel of the hotel and venue could not have been more perfect for us. It was really nice to be able to offer hotel rooms for out-of-towners or those who indulged too heavily, too. When we checked in the day before, not only did my fiance and I have a gift bag, but my parents did, too. We really felt like they rolled out the red carpet for us, and really bent over backward to accommodate us.

Now, for the most important part: the day of the wedding. The bartenders were attentive (we had two, for the whole evening, and no one had to wait to get a drink), the caterers made sure the buffet was filled, and no one went hungry (trust me). The food was good, but not mind-blowing (not many buffets are, let's be honest). The beer, though, cannot be beat :-) . The main asset of the Kennedy School is its people, but the building itself really provided the ambiance.

I loved getting married at the Kennedy School, and would absolutely, 100%, without reservations, recommend this to anyone who would listen.
    Theresa Married on 05/25/2014
    We could not have been more happy with the Kennedy School for our wedding venue! For the price this venue beats any other in the Portland area. Fun environment, unique aesthetic, and amazing staff made our day one to remember. Such a wonderful weekend! Thank you to everyone at the Kennedy School for making our event seem effortless.
  • User1943502 2+ years ago
    Absolutely loved this venue! The staff were so helpful and friendly. The event coordinator was amazing. We LOVED the fact that we weren't having to pay to rent the space so long as we spent a certain amount in food/alcohol. We saved SO much by having our wedding here. The venue set everything up and took everything down. The whole process was so painless and worry free. There were no hidden fees. The space was so beautiful. The day could not have been more amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend the Kennedy School.
  • Nicole
    Nicole Married on 03/15/2014
    I knew I wanted to get married at the Kennedy School from the first time I went there for a movie. It's quirky, beautiful, and has amazing beer. I worked with Amanda in the sales department. She was so responsive, helpful, friendly, and wonderful. They took care of everything and I always knew what to expect. My wedding day was perfect.

We were married in the gymnasium courtyard and had the reception inside the gymnasium. The value for this venue is insane. Everything else I looked at was laughably more expensive. The food was fantastic (I had a ton of compliments) and everything went as planned. I highly recommend this venue to everyone.
    Am Married on 09/29/2013
    We wanted a relaxed backyard wedding, but we don't have a backyard... The Kennedy School made our day so easy. The space is fun and doesn't require tons of decoration (although you certainly can). The food was great, we did a taco bar and a full hosted bar, and we came in under budget! The staff took great care of us, and everything went really smoothly. They only glitches were things that we mucked up, like forgetting to cut the cake. It was also really wonderful to be able to have guests stay in the hotel, our room was really fun. I can't recommend them enough, especially if you want to have a laid back party on a budget, that doesn't feel like you're on a budget.
    Amanda Married on 09/21/2013
    As soon as we saw the Kennedy School, we knew it was the place for us. The ability for friends and family to stay the night, combined with fun and quirky atmosphere was exactly right for us. My wedding party and family thoroughly enjoyed spending the night before and night of the wedding around the different bars and restaurants.
    The price was also a good selling factor. After spending a minimum amount, the room fee was waived.
    I was a little hesitant about not being able to taste the food, but it was great! We received so many compliments on dinner!
    The staff was amazing, since we were running a little ahead of schedule after dinner, they were very flexible and moved our "room reset" and "cake cutting" times up an hour when we requested it.
    Overall, I couldn't imagine having our wedding at another venue, it was just amazing!!!
    Adrien Married on 09/16/2013
    The perfect venue for a one stop shop. The value is amazing, our guests loved staying in the old classrooms, and it was a magical day. All we did was add centerpieces & a few flourishes and the Kennedy School took care of everything else.
  • User1302799 2+ years ago
    Kennedy School was wonderful! The staff was extremely helpful and professional--from the event coordinator who answered lots of questions for me while I was planning my wedding from abroad, to the day of coordinator who helped my family and friends set up the morning of, to the food servers who also (unasked) kept the tea lights on all our tables topped up and lit! The food was really good too, all my guests loved it. Finally, the space its self was really unique and flexible--having both an inside and outside space with lots of history! It was perfect for our fun but elegant wedding. Plus, as 75% of our guests were from out of town, people could stay at the hotel right on site and we all hung out in the bar post-wedding party! I would recommend Kennedy School to any bride.