Matthew's Catering Company Reviews

Matthew's Catering Company 6
Matthew's Catering Company 7

Jessica · Married on 01/12/2019

Amazing family company

Matthews has made this planning process so much easier for us. They are extremely accommodating and personable. They have honestly been a pleasure to work with.

Terri · Married on 10/05/2018

We are an older couple and attended the Galloway wedding catered by Aaron-the owner of Matthews Catering-We have attended many weddings of our friends and now their children-And by far, the food was superior at this wedding-absolutely top shelf!

Danielle · Married on 09/29/2018

A delightful dinning experience!

Matthew, Lin and Penny went above and beyond for us! They made all of our choices easy to make and our food from beginning to end was delicious. Not to mention the fantastic job Lin did helping us through the wedding process!

• Anna

Anna Light · Married on 07/21/2018

Amazing Catering Team!

If you are looking for amazing food and service for your wedding, you’ve found it at Matthew’s. We are so incredibly grateful that our venue recommended Matthew’s Catering, as choosing them was one of the best things we did throughout the wedding planning process. From the start, Matthew and his team made us feel more than welcome. Within the initial meeting to discuss the possibility of working together, my husband and I left full of delicious food and a clear decision in our minds. The menu that Matthew put together encapsulated everything that we wanted in our wedding meal, and the rave reviews from our guests don’t lie! It’s pretty incredible when people actually feel full from dinner at a wedding, and we seemed to reach that point!

In addition to the amazing food provided by Matthew and his team, I can’t let this review continue without mentioning Linda and emphasizing how incredibly wonderful and completely essential a role she played. When we were looking for a catering company we expected help with food and service, but from Linda we truly received a full on wedding coordinator. I (with help from friends, family and fiancé) planned the entire wedding and DIY-ed most of it myself. While I was hopeful that things would work and come together, Linda was a true savior, asking questions I never would have thought of and having answers for everything. She clearly knew her stuff, and was so gracious sharing her knowledge with us! No matter what the question, she was able to help. It was all thanks to her and her team that the wedding came together the way it did. Every compliment we received truly was owed to her. I had to hold back some tears walking into the venue before the ceremony, as it truly looked even more incredible than I ever could have imagined. We are so appreciative of everything she and the team did for us, and count ourselves incredibly lucky to have had the chance to work with her, Matthew, and the entire team.

Alexandrea · Married on 10/21/2017

Matthew, Lin and the entire crew were amazing! We went for our tasting with no real idea of what we wanted to serve. Matthew created the PERFECT menu. The food is absolutely amazing and the staff is a dream to work with!!! Lin was attentive to everything, she makes you feel so comfortable with everything and you know you are in great hands! Everyone still comments on how good the food was! If you are looking for the best you have found them when hiring Matthews!

Kayli · Married on 10/08/2017

Matthew and his staff were amazing and made my wedding day run perfectly!

The food was AMAZING! So unique and fresh! Matt is so creative with his food and presentations that my guests are still talking about it.
    Not only was the food amazing but they are full service! They set up and breakdown all my decore for me so all I had to do was to show them my vision and they made it happen. I got to enjoy my wedding morning with my bridesmaids and mother.

We had a high budget and wanted lots of food so we went over the top, but he created our menu to our preference and price point

Michelle · Married on 09/30/2017

We can't say enough good things about Matthews Catering and his staff!! Matthews food is out of this world! It was most important to us to have excellent food at our wedding. The food was cooked perfectly! It was exactly what we wanted for our wedding day. It was the gourmet Italian style we were looking for. We can't count how many of our guests approached us to tell us how amazing the food was and how it was the best they have ever had a wedding. They not only provided fantastic food but they also provided Lin who was our wedding planner. It was a package deal that Lin came with Matthews service. She is phenomenal! She met with us a couple of times and helped us with the planning process. She kept is great contact all the way up to the wedding day. Not only did she help with the planning but she was there for our rehearsal dinner and the entire day of the wedding. We had our wedding at home and Matthews helped with all the other rentals like tent, tables, chairs, linens etc. We didn't have to do much, they took care of contacting the rental companies getting quotes etc. It was such a huge help that they took care of everything. The wedding day was absolutely perfect and that is because of Lin , Matthew and Matthew's Catering staff . If you want unbelievable food at your wedding that your guests will rave about then we highly recommend you use Matthew's. We are so glad we chose them for our wedding day! They are a wonderful company and absolutely wonderful people! We can't thank them enough for helping to make our day so special. It was truly the best day of our lives!

Matthew's Catering Company 8
    Matthew's Catering Company 13
    Matthew's Catering Company 14
    Matthew's Catering Company 15

Mary · Married on 09/23/2017

Where do I begin... We are AMAZED at Matthews Catering Company! First of all I would have never been able to plan my wedding without Lin the wedding coordinator she was absolutely wonderful from planning the fun decoration details to the big details of the day she was there 100%. Made my Mom and I feel at home right away. Matthews food was mouth watering good that everyone still talks about how delicious the salmon was. And his staff was so professional and worked so hard setting up and cleaning up. Matthews Catering made our wedding complete. Even when the AC wasn't working at the venue Lin and her staff stepped in and did everything they could to make our guest more comfortable. The best hospitality I think I've ever witnessed. And even more perfect that it was my wedding. Our theme was a 1920s Great Gatsby theme and Lin was so kind to make the menu look the part, every detail came together. We are forever grateful. We can't thank you all enough. I will recommend you to every bride and groom I meet. We are so blessed that you all were a part of our special day!

Amy · Married on 08/26/2017

We are so thankful for Matt and his staff for making our wedding so memorable.
    We were able to customize the menu completely and the food was AMAZING, everyone raved about it. We even got to take home the leftovers.
    Our original venue was shut down and Matt and his crew helped us search for a new venue to fit our day and vision. We ended up booking our wedding at a venue that they had not used before and they worked it so well.
    Their pricing is very reasonable. They really care about YOU and YOUR day versus making you try to fit into their confines like other popular catering groups.
    I always recommend Matthew's when people are looking at catering options.

Erica · Married on 07/08/2017

We used Matthew's for our rehearsal dinner and wedding at the Overlook at Geer Tree Farm in July. Words can't express our gratitude for Matthew's Catering! From the moment we met them, they were a pleasure to work with. We adore Penny and Lynn (the wedding coordinators) and Matthew the chef was wonderful. It was helpful how many weddings they have done at the farm and they knew the ins and outs, I highly recommend them for any wedding...but especially if you're getting married at the Overlook! They deal with all of the rentals and make sure you have everything you could possibly need. They set up everything how we wanted it, including the cupcakes that we got from a different vendor. Not once did they get annoyed with many questions and requests I had leading up to the wedding and they truly did everything they could to make our day run seamlessly. Penny also gives great advice for other vendors, we used the florist (Deb at Stop & Shop in Norwich...she was amazing don't get fooled by the grocery store!), DJ (Steve Grindle), and JP (Betty Allard) and were happy with them all. Not to mention, they were willing to work with our budget and were a much more reasonable price than other caterers we looked at. The food was great at our wedding and Matthew was so accommodating at the tasting to make sure it was everything we wanted. We did the buffet option and were happy that we did. We really liked that it is a family company (Penny is Matthew's mom) and it's evident how much they care about the company. They weren't the best with getting back to emails in a timely manner consistently throughout the year of planning (sometimes they were though), phone calls were definitely easier and they always picked up or called back right away. Penny even talked to me late at night when our band fell through and helped us find a DJ. We are very happy that we used Matthew's Catering for our wedding and highly recommend them!

Ashley · Married on 06/10/2017

If I could give Matthew's Catering 100 stars, I would! We could not have asked for a better catering company!! From start to finish, the entire process was perfect.

FOOD: Matthew sat down and worked with us to create a menu that fit our tastes and budget. The food was amazing and everyone loved it!

STAFF: Matthew, Penny, Lin and all the other staff were SO friendly and helpful. Every interaction we had with them was above expectations. They really care about ensuring your day is as perfect as can be and willing to help in any way they can.

PLANNING: Not only did MCC take care of our catering but they also served as a wedding coordinator. They helped us with decorations, set up/breakdown, communicating with all vendors, and even ran our rehearsal at the venue. They had us set up one table to show them how we wanted the centerpieces/tables to look and then set up all the other ones for us. Even when I accidentally sent them the rough draft of our seating chart, instead of the final, they managed to catch my mistake the day of the wedding and fixed it without me knowing it had happened! When the ceremony ended, Lin was right there to see if we needed anything to eat or drink and made sure all was well throughout the night.

I cannot recommend MCC enough and would have paid 3x the money we did to have them cater our wedding. They made the day of the wedding ZERO stress and helped create the wedding of my dreams!!!

Dustin · Married on 05/06/2017

Matthew’s Catering

Before finalizing a contract with any other catering company, STOP!! And talk to Matthews Catering Company.  You will NOT be disappointment.  The service they provide is zero to none.  They went above and beyond for our wedding on more than one occasion.  Looking back, there were plenty of things we didn’t consider during the wedding planning process and they took care of it with no questions.  They provided an excellent menu with plenty of options (including vegan and gluten free) while listening and taking into account what we wanted.  The service staff for the wedding day was wonderful, nice, attentive and helpful.  Matthew, Penny and Lin were great to work with.  The service Matthew’s provides is far more than just food.  And the food…..it was amazing. Steak, chicken, pasta dishes, fresh grilled veggies, mac and cheese bar, potato medley.  Just remember, when selecting a catering company for your special event, it is not just the food.  It is about the entire show and production and Matthew’s Catering Company will exceed your expectations.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!! Dustin and Vanessa

Matthew's Catering Company 16
    Matthew's Catering Company 23
    Matthew's Catering Company 24
    Matthew's Catering Company 25

Patrice · Married on 08/20/2016

Matthews was a treasure of a find! Penny, Lin and Matthew were terrific to work with. They literally handled everything, not just the delicious menu! Their wealth of knowledge and creative food prep, along with serving staff that was outstanding, made our reception a "beyond our dreams" event. Nothing seemed to upset them, which gave us such confidence in choosing them. They responded to all our queries, email and phone, rapidly. The tastings were only a glimpse of their culinary talent. Many guests told us they had never had such delicious and varied food selction at a wedding. We totally agree! From welcome refreshments/snacks, appetizers (stationary & passed), stations, dessert of strawberry shortcake and Smores at the fire pit, we could not have asked for more. They also arranged for rental of all needed items and recommended additional vendors in the area which we used. Penny and Lin were our wedding coordinators from planning, to fluffing my train, to boxing up all our food and valuable items to take home. All of this with a smile and "have no worries" attitude. It was a true pleasure to have them be a part of our wedding.

Monty · Married on 10/04/2015

We had an excellent experience with Matthews Catering Company for our wedding reception and would recommend them.
    Our theme was a little different and required coordinating with other vendors which Mathews did seamlessly and professionally.
    They worked with us to create a menu that was delicious and represented "us".
    We were extremely appreciative for their guidance and experience in helping us through the preparation and planning.
    Our reception went off without a hitch and my guests, and most importantly - my bride had a time to remember.

Jaclyn · Married on 08/08/2015

Selecting Matthew's Catering for our wedding turned out to be one of the best decisions we made! From beginning to end we had a wonderful experience working with Matthew, Penny, Lin, and the rest of the team. The food is excellent and the serving sizes are so generous! We wanted a wedding with great food that guests would remember for it's quality and uniqueness. We're happy to report that Matthew's pulled this off with great success and finesse! Our guests were raving about how delicious the food was. Our guests said there were more than enough hors d'oeuvres passed around (freshly-dipped mini corndogs were a huge hit!). Our duet entrees were amazing: Root beer braised short ribs of beef with whipped butternut squash and sautéed green beans, and chicken francese with whipped potatoes and sautéed baby spinach. Yes, it's all of that on one plate! We loved not having to deal with tracking meal orders - everyone got the same entrée and it worked out great! And the entrees were beautifully presented on rectangular plates. We also had late night snacks passed (tater tots and mini waffles with sautéed apples and whipped cream), again, a huge hit! Matthew's and their team were also very flexible with some changes we made along the way, and were very accommodating of special dietary restrictions and allergies. We had zero issues with any of that. They also provided complimentary iced tea and lemonade with mason jars before the ceremony. They provide a coordinator (included in the pricing) to help with coordinating all the rentals for you, and to help with decorations, floor plan, etc., and the magic of getting food to the bride and groom on the big day. Yes, we ate our food! We felt they exceeded our expectations, the prices were reasonable, and we would recommend them to anyone. Just know they don't provide bartending services or dessert items - they focus on what they do best and that is Food, A Lot of delicious food.

Kyle · Married on 08/16/2014

Matthew and staff absolutely dominated our wedding. After searching for many vendors, Matthews was the first caterer to express genuine interest in us and our needs and promise to work with all of our requests. Man did they deliver. We had MANY exchanges with Penny, Kathy, Janet, Linda and Matthew leading up to our big day. They were so responsive and helpful from recommending certain food items based on our wishes to helping coordinate all rentals for linens, tables, etc.

Now for the food! Absolutely amazing. If you are evaluating caterers, please go in for a tasting to let Matthew show you what he can do. We had already decided to go with them prior to our tasting but if we were in-between two options, it Matthew's would've been the clear winner. We have heard from many of our guests they were amazed by the creativity, flavor, presentation and overall deliciousness of the food from the appetizers (must get the mini lobster rolls) to the dinner (MUST get the Ritz cracker crusted cod). We did not do dessert through Matthews but we sampled it during the tasting and it was also on point.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced, amazing catering experience for your wedding that will cater to all your needs while developing a personal connection, please do not look further than Matthews. My mouth is actually watering right now...

Justine · Married on 07/26/2014

If you are looking for a catering company to meet your every need for that special day ~ Matthews Catering Company is it!!! From our very first contact with their staff, Penny, to the final day of celebration - personal greeting by Chef Matt, the conduct was professional and even better, carried out with a personable and sincere, caring attitude.
    Our daughter's wedding day was much anticipated as she took many months to prepare decorations, center pieces, favors etc. As much effort for excellence that she put in, this was met and exceeded by the food planning and preparation. (After she came back from a private food tasting with her fiance, her comment was, "Well, that was the best food I've ever tasted! The guests will love it!" Her prophetic words rang true as many guests raved about the selections, amount and fine quality of the appetizers to the entrees.
    One of the great qualities of this company is their ability to make you feel as if YOU are the most important customer and what ever you need, they will make it happen!!! An opportunity to meet with Matthew gives the customer a sense of security in knowing that he is overseeing the entire process. From there, the wedding coordinator provides suggestions when needed and a quiet calmness to the rehearsal through to when the last dish is cleared away.
    The wait staff is efficient, courteous and thorough!!! Their desire to make this the best event for you is evident in all aspects of service. They take care of setting up the venue exactly as requested and are available to handle any changes that come about at the last minute.
    A wedding is one of the greatest milestones in a person's life - and Matthews Catering Company provided the perfect compliment to our daughter's special day! I highly recommend them to fulfill your expectations of excellence as they did for our family.

I was familiar with Matthew's Catering, as I'd been to events and holiday parties that they'd catered. I'd even hired them to cater my second son's graduation party, with wonderful results. So when my oldest son got engaged we wanted the food to be perfect. Matthew's Catering was our first choice.
    We met with owner Matthew Johnson to go over our choices. We had one guest with food restrictions due to gluten and lactose allergies, and instead of singling her out with one specially-prepared meal, he simply adjusted the menu to include items that were within her restrictions and delicious enough for everyone to enjoy. Richard handled all of the little details, like ordering the tablecloths, organizing the place settings, and even making sure the colors were just right. We were able to drop off the centerpieces, favors, name cards, toasting glasses, and other small items so important to a wedding to Matthew's Catering a week before the wedding, and everything was set up beautifully for us when guests arrived. And chef, Matt D., was dedicated to providing the best meal possible, presenting a display of fresh ingredients, mouth-watering appetizers, and sumptuous entrees.
    We had one wedding crisis. The rentals were dropped off at the venue the night before the wedding, and the caterer from the previous night accidentally took all the dishes and tablecloths when they left. The staff of Matthew's Catering handled the situation quickly and discreetly, acquiring upgraded rentals in time to get everything set up and displayed handsomely, and our guests were none the wiser. They certainly saved the day, and our son's wedding to his beautiful bride was everything we'd hoped for and more.
    I would enthusiastically recommend Matthew's Catering to anyone seeking a professional caterer for an event, party, or wedding. Matthew an his team are proficient, personable, provide exceptional service and delicious food, and go above and beyond to make sure everything goes impeccably well.

L · Married on 10/16/2010

To say that the food by, and experience with, Matthews Catering was excellent would be an understatement. They were responsive, very creative and tremendously talented. The food on our wedding day was just as fabulous as it was during our tasting and the food displays were gorgeous. My husband and I wanted the food to be a little different, with a New Orleans flair, and they came up with several unique appetizers just for us (New Orleans Style Fried Oyster w/ kickin’ Bayou sauce!). The New Orleans Beignet dessert station was such a hit that our guests enjoyed 3 or 4 each! I cannot count the number of guests who have told us that our food was the best food of any wedding they had attended before.

Matthews Catering also ensured that we found the time to eat throughout the reception. Right after the ceremony, while the guests were mingling and my husband and I were preparing for our private photo session, Matthews Catering brought us a platter of all of the appetizers that we were missing, some champagne and glasses of warm cider. We never would have thought to ask for this. They also worked very closely with our venue and our photographers to ensure that the day went as smoothly as possible.

Accordingly, you can imagine our shock when we were informed that a bride/groom had posted a review of Matthews Catering as though they had been married on the same day as us. According to the review by “MTown Wedding”, he/she was married on the same day and had his/her wedding was catered by Matthews Catering. However, to my knowledge Matthews Catering only catered one wedding that day: our wedding. At our wedding there was no yelling or other noise coming from the kitchen, the food was just as great as it was during our tasting, and there were no silk flowers in the room.

Please, if you are considering using Matthews Catering, call them and refer to this post. I plan to tell Matthews Catering that they can refer you directly to me and I will be happy to tell you all about our wedding and the great experiences that we had with Matthews Catering. In fact, it was so great that today my husband called them to ask whether (i) they could cater an event for his office and (ii) they could recreate our wedding day food so that my husband and I could enjoy it once again. It was during that phone call that we were told about the review from "MTown Wedding."

Anthony · Married on 06/05/2010

I am the father of the bride. I look for value , however quality is extremely important to me as I come from an Italian family in which the abundance of food, taste. texture, aroma, and all around culinary experience is very important. We had all of this and more by having Chef Matthew Johnson at the helm of this culinary adventure.

The tasting was a treat. We gave Chef Johnson an idea of what we were looking for. he created a menu that far exceeded our expectations. ( The coconut shrimp and the Maryland Crab Cakes was something that I did not at first consider, but after the tasting.....OMG I can't get them out of my mind!!!)

The cocktail hour was an avalanche of color and delight. Skewers of beef, skewers of Jack Daniels Chicken, Crab filled stuffed mushrooms, coconut shrimp, Maryland Crab Cakes , eggplant caponata, flavorful cheezes, fresh brushetta, melon and prosciutto, and a cascade of fresh seasonal fruit ...crisp and sweet . Everything tickled the taste buds.

The service was professional. Every one of the waitstaff conducted themselves with the utmost discipline and decorum yet friendly and accommodating.

We opted for a sit down dinner that offered fillet Mignon, Chilean Sea Bass, and Tuscan Chicken. All 200 guests were served within 20 minutes flat. Everything was abundant, hot , uniform, and superbly prepared. Not one thing went back to the kitchen !! Every one of the guests raved about their food....even the most finicky of eaters.

In conclusion, I just regret that I did not know about Matthew's Catering several years ago when my other daughter married. I might have been able to save several thousand dollars had I known of them at that time. The entire experience was positive. Every arrangement went according to plan. My advice ....On the day of the wedding, enjoy and relax. Let Chef Matthew and his staff do what they do best.

If you need catering...........There is no question that Matthew's Catering is the best.

Bravo !

Stacie · Married on 05/29/2010

I'm not sure where to start. When we started this whole process I did not even know where to start planning. I had heard about Matthews from several different people so I began with them. Upon calling them not only did they explain all the steps to a wedding reception, they also made me feel as if I was the only Bride they were working with. Upon our first meeting, owner Matt made myself, Dave & my parents feel like old friends. From the first meeting to the day of our reception Matt & his staff kept us abreast of our menu selections, details and everything in between. I was completely surprised to learn that they include a Catering Coordinator, (no extra charge) with their wedding packages.

The day of our reception could not have gone any better! Not only did Matthews have an army of staff to cater to our guests needs, the food was out of this world! From the home made lemonade & iced tea station that met our guests to the passed appetizers then on to the buffet. I could not choose a favorite from our menu. Our guests are still talking about the polite and attentive staff as well as the food. (I think my family is expecting a 1 year anniversary party with Matthews catering it so they can have the food again!!).
    I can not thank Matthews Catering & owner Matt Johnson enough for exceeding our dream day.

Matthews Catering catered my wedding and I couldn't have asked for more. They tailored the menu to our likes and never said no to any of our suggestions. They were able to work within our budget. The food presentation was delightful, displayed beautifully. We had stations for our wedding and the guests raved about the selections (NE seafood, carving, and risotto). Our appetizers where bountiful and never ran out. The staff was attentive to my needs as the bride and ensured I got to try everything, as I couldn't sit still wanting to visit all my guests. Professional staff, experienced chefs, and attention to details: what more could you ask for? I highly recommend Matthews Catering if you are looking for comfort food make with heart, and exceptional planning staff.

Stephanie · Married on 04/11/2014

They made my special day amazing. I didn't not have to worry about anything regarding the catering. The food was out of this world.

2.0

Matthew provided my guests with an amazing dining experience at my wedding. My husband and I hired Matthew a year before our wedding. The communication with the staff did get frustrating during the year. After speaking with Matthew about this issue, it was resolved. The food at our tasting was out of this world. I wondered if it would be possible to create this same quality when cooking for 150 guests. The wedding day food blew our guests away. We have gotten many phone calls from friends since the wedding wanting to use Matthew's Catering for future events. Each staff member was attentive to the needs of our guests at all times. The passed appetizers were brought around at a rate that each guest could enjoy the tasty treats. The menu was truly personalized to food that we love from mini lobster rolls during cocktail hour to a bacon bar at the end of the night. I would highly recommend Matthew's Catering. Matthew is extremely talented and truly went above and beyond to deliver the best food I have ever tasted.

Kathleen · Married on 05/08/2010

3.4
      2.0
      3.0
      3.0

The food was delicious and abundant. All the guests commented on the beautiful displays during the cocktail hour and the delicious food served at dinner. They are slightly disorganized with faulty email systems and they don't always respond in a timely manner. I dealt with about 3 different people, so I was never sure who I was emailing or hearing from. All in all, they provided a fantastic service for the price, but if you are slightly higher strung and want a smooth operation without wrinkles or worries, you might look elsewhere.