Living for Love Reviews

Living for Love 7
  • Christina

Christina · Married on 07/05/2019

A Beautiful and Memorable Ceremony

My husband, Carlos, and I got married in Powhatan, VA, but since we live in San Francisco we had limited knowledge of wedding officiants in the area. We were looking first and foremost for someone we would trust and feel comfortable with, and also were hoping to find someone who could help us create a ceremony that had spiritual undertones but was not explicitly religious. From our very first email and Skype conversations I could tell Melody's warmth, eloquence, and calming energy would be a perfect fit for the wedding ceremony we wanted.

During our consultation call, it was absolutely lovely to take a pause from wedding planning to talk with Melody about our relationship - how we met, what we love about one another, what our joys and challenges have been, and what we're dreaming for our future together. As we then planned the ceremony script via email, she was deeply attentive to every word. Our stipulations were that Jesus and the patriarchy must be absent from the ceremony, so she was spot on with things like planning to have a congregational blessing of the marriage rather than a "giving away of the bride" by my father, and making prayers and blessings very openly spiritual. The homily she delivered was absolutely beautiful, and though there was definitely room for smiles and laughter, all our family and friends said there was hardly a dry eye among the congregation. Despite having just met us, Melody's sensitivity and empathy definitely made our ceremony feel extremely personal. We couldn't be more grateful for her work.

Sent on 07/19/2019
    Living for Love 8

Living for Love's reply:

Wow, Christina, it means so much to hear that what we were able to develop in conversation together struck just the right tone for you and was so meaningful to you, Carlos, and your guests. I really enjoyed getting to know you both and wish you boatloads of happiness. Peace, Melody

Megan Molnar · Married on 06/08/2019

Great Experience

Melody gave us one of the most personalized wedding ceremonies we’d ever experienced. In our short time getting to know her, Melody managed to remember tons of personal details about us, and our story, and incorporated them into the ceremony as if she’d known us for years. She was incredibly well spoken and pleasant to work with, and even exuded such a calming aura and personality, that we knew she’d be great for us after our first phone call with her. Melody gave us a truly memorable experience for our special day.

Sent on 07/10/2019
    Living for Love 9

Living for Love's reply:

You have such a great story, and I loved learning about it and getting to know you both as we built your celebration. Wishing you all the best, Megan!

Jacqueline K Kerber · Married on 06/01/2019

Melody took our ceremony to a whole other level

I cannot put into words how grateful we are to have found Melody for our wedding day. First off, she is extremely easy and fun to work with. Talking about why you love your partner and telling your story can be a very intimate thing and Melody made us feel so comfortable. Secondly, it was extremely important to us was that our ceremony reflect who we are as a couple and while she is Rev Melody Porter our ceremony was mostly non-traditional ..and she nailed it. We have heard from multiple guests that it was the best and most genuine ceremony they have seen. For two people who weren’t really sure what they wanted their ceremony to look like (other than getting married of course) Melody made it incredible.

Sent on 06/10/2019

Living for Love's reply:

I'm so glad to hear that you were pleased with the ceremony! I really enjoyed working with you both. It was fun and so meaningful. All the best!
  • Beth

Elizabeth · Married on 05/25/2019

I cannot recommend Melody enough! She was amazing from start to finish.

My husband and I wanted a non-religious ceremony that was meaningful and representative of us and our relationship. We also wanted to be inclusive our families' beliefs and ensure that our ceremony did not downplay or detract from the significance of marriage. Melody took the time to get to know us and understand our desire to balance these aspects. She was professional, prompt, wonderfully helpful, and attentive during the planning process. Moreover, my husband and I genuinely liked her and felt a connection to her as a person. Her warm, calm and easy manner made everything from the first phone call and "getting to know you" meeting to standing in front of our family and friends to say our vows stress-free and easy.

As for the actual ceremony, Melody truly tailored it to us, weaving in our story as well as some of responses to the questions she had sent us to answer separately. It was sweet, funny, and deeply personal. She made the most meaningful part of our wedding day also one of the best. Our guests laughed and cried along with my husband and I. Several told us afterward that the ceremony was their favorite part of the wedding.

I cannot imagine our wedding without Melody. We will be forever thankful for her part in beginning this next chapter of our life together.

Sent on 06/10/2019
    Living for Love 10
    Living for Love 11
    Living for Love 12

Living for Love's reply:

It was so wonderful to work with you both, and to celebrate your marriage! I am grateful to hear that it was what you wanted. Wishing you all the best with this exciting next chapter.
  • Shaine

Shaine Cunningham · Married on 05/04/2019

Heartfelt and Delightful

Melody is exceptionally eloquent, kind, and sincere and has this amazing gift for connecting with people and weaving their ideas, feelings, and stories into a beautiful and incredibly meaningful ceremony. The ceremony she created for us was sweet, funny, and full of so much joy. Our guests said it was their favorite part of the night, and we wholeheartedly agree. From the first phone call to meeting her at a coffee shop, and from answering questions about one another to standing with her in front of our family and friends to say our vows, Melody was professional, dependable, and truly delightful to work with. I cannot imagine our wedding without her and will forever be grateful for the special memories she helped us make. Thank you for everything!

Sent on 05/09/2019

Living for Love's reply:

So glad that the ceremony was full of so much joy for you! You were so sincere and brought lightness to it as well. All the best to you both!
  • Erica

Erica Stratton · Married on 04/27/2019

Truly magical ceremony

My husband and I had been together for over 12 years before our wedding. It was hard to imagine what our ceremony would be like - how do you summarize such a long relationship in 20 minutes? We aren't religious, but really wanted something meaningful. As difficult as all of this seemed to us, Melody surpassed all expectations. She was a calming presence and gave such a personal and sweet homily. She understood our desire for something formal, but not overly religious. Having Skyped with her and then met her once in person, we knew she would do a fabulous job. What we did not expect was to both be in tears throughout the ceremony! But her words really moved us and started off our night of celebration with love and gratitude. She sent each of us some questions to answer separately and included some of our responses in the homily. We don't often get a chance to articulate how much we mean to each other and this was such a meaningful and unexpected way to do so. We did not expect to enjoy our ceremony as much as we did, but Melody made it one of the best parts of our wedding day! I cannot recommend her services enough.

Sent on 05/06/2019

Living for Love's reply:

Thanks for your kind words, Erica! I really enjoyed getting to know you both and your sweet story. It was fun to celebrate with you!

James Rogers · Married on 04/20/2019

A Truly Unique and Wonderful Ceremony

Melody wrote and performed a ceremony that was beautiful beyond our expectations. She truly captured the spirit of the day and tailored the ceremony to our specific relationship.
    From the very beginning, Melody was a joy to work with. She has a calm and easy manner that put us right at ease and made the "getting to know you" portion of the experience stress-free and relaxing.
    As to the actual ceremony, it was like nothing I'd ever experienced. Our guests laughed and cried along with myself and my wife. We felt as though Melody, with her words and her presence, brought the room together and took us all on a journey of love that bought us all safely to the harbor of marriage. Everyone at the reception wanted to tell us how unique and powerful the ceremony was.
    Melody was always professional, prompt and helpful all along the way, but more than that she was insightful and so wonderfully attentive in all aspects of the process. She elevated an already amazing experience.
    We could not possibly thank her enough, or recommend her more highly.

Sent on 05/30/2019

Living for Love's reply:

Thank you for your kind words, James! I really enjoyed getting to know you two and the uniqueness of your love and relationship. Wishing you so much happiness!
  • Bernice

Bernice Chu · Married on 04/13/2019

Melody is Magical

As my now-husband and I were discussing our wedding plans, we knew we wanted our ceremony to be meaningful and personal, with the warmth and lightheartedness of a close friend officiating, non-religious, but with the sanctity of a religious ceremony. As soon as Melody agreed to officiate our ceremony, I stopped worrying about wedding planning. I knew that the ceremony would be all these things and more, and that the other wedding details wouldn’t matter as much. I knew this because I’ve known Melody for years, and I can’t think of anyone more warm and genuine, who puts more care into learning people’s stories and understanding where they find meaning.

Melody took the time to get to know us and our relationship, asking great questions over fun, lighthearted conversation, and also giving us questions to answer separately, so that we would hear each other’s responses for the first time at the ceremony. She used this information to craft a beautiful homily that she read during the ceremony. I loved seeing our families laugh and cry, and watching my husband fight back tears as Melody described the things I love most about him. Melody sent us a copy of the homily after the ceremony, which we will cherish for years to come.

My husband, who met Melody for the first time this year, wants to note that Melody made the entire process so fun and easy. Melody was so encouraging with our ideas and flexible with our last-minute additions. She even coordinated with each of our family members to give their blessings. It required no work at all on our part to achieve the ceremony of our dreams. We didn’t even write our own vows. We had fully intended to, but as I read the “placeholder” vows Melody had written in the draft ceremony out loud to my husband, I couldn’t get through them without welling up with emotion. They were perfect. Melody is magical, and I strongly believe hiring her is the best decision anyone could make for their wedding day.

Sent on 04/15/2019

Living for Love's reply:

Bernice, what a kind review! I was so lucky and grateful to celebrate your wedding with Davy. You have a beautiful future ahead. Thank you for honoring me with the invitation to work with you!

Angelina Zega · Married on 02/01/2019

Absolutely Fabulous!

Melody was absolutely lovely! You can't go wrong having her officiate your wedding. Her kindness and warmth uplift everyone around her. She is very articulate and made our wedding extra special and memorable by really customizing what she said for us as a couple. She is extremely flexible, fun and full of joy - look no further, you've found the best of the best right here!

Sent on 02/13/2019
  • Ryan

Ryan · Married on 11/03/2018

Melody was Amazing!

Melody is a true professional officiant! She was very thoughtful and flexible in her service and truly puts the focus of the service on the love betweeen the bride and groom. She was able to tell our story in a way I really appreciated. One of the easiest people to work with in the wedding planning process. Due to my job away for months I did not meet her in person until the wedding day but she made me feel comfortable and eased any worries I might have had! Could not recommend her with any higher regard! Every attendee at our wedding complimented her and voiced how much they enjoyed her ceremony. Large or small wedding melody is perfect for your ceremony!

Sent on 11/05/2018

Living for Love's reply:

Thanks for your kind words, Ryan! You and Amanda had such a beautiful ceremony because of what you brought to it. I really appreciated how flexible you were in planning. It was fun working with you both!
  • Marisa

Marisa Benoit · Married on 10/07/2018

Melody is the best!

Melody was so easy to work with. She got to know us so well during the whole process that her homily during our wedding ceremony was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard and I will remember it forever. I have a large hispanic family and she was game for saying a short welcome in Spanish which I know meant the world to them and made our ceremony really special. Everyone who attended our ceremony kept telling me how beautiful it was and how well spoken Melody was. Thank you so much for all of your hard work, it's a day I will never forget!

Sent on 10/25/2018

Living for Love's reply:

It was so fun to get to know both of you. I'm excited that you are together, and for the beautiful life you'll be creating together. All the best!

Emily · Married on 09/29/2018

Melody is great!

Melody put together a very personal ceremony for us without a lot of specifics to go off of -- somehow she knew exactly what we wanted. We met her for an initial interview and then she followed up with each of us for details about our relationship and what we wanted for our ceremony. The day of the wedding, Melody was a calming presence and her composure helped us both handle the stress of the day. Melody's service was a highlight for our guests, and we're grateful she composed a beautiful ceremony that captured each of our personalities.

Sent on 01/03/2019
    Living for Love 13

Living for Love's reply:

I loved working with you and Sam, and am so glad that I could create space with you to be really present during your ceremony. All the best to both of you!
  • Alex

Alex Tissiere · Married on 09/22/2018

Beautiful, Personal Ceremony in Charlottesville

Melody was an absolute ray of sunshine on our rainy wedding day. Our ceremony was one of the most talked about and complimented parts of our entire wedding experience. Melody told our story in a beautiful way, and used our answers to her (excellent!) questions on love and commitment to create a truly unforgettable ceremony. She also added some touches we never would have thought of, like taking a moment to have our guests actually get up and introduce themselves to each other, to meet someone new. It was one of our favorite parts! Melody crafted a beautiful, personal, non-religious ceremony for us, and we’re confident that no matter what kind of ceremony you’re looking for, she will make it an incredibly special experience that will last a lifetime. Thank you for everything Melody!

Sent on 11/04/2018
    Living for Love 14
    Living for Love 15

Living for Love's reply:

I love that you added photos of your ceremony, Alex. I enjoyed getting to know you and being part of such a sweet, love-filled day. Thank you for your kind review, and all the best to you both!

Elisabeth · Married on 09/15/2018

Wonderful and Perfect!

Melody was amazing from was to finish. She work and dedication to what she does as an officiant really shows. She cares about making ones’ day special and get to know the people she is marrying. My husband and I loved working with her. She was honestly more than what we could have asked and she was great to help us when we didn’t know what we were doing. Thank you Melody!

Sent on 12/25/2018
    Living for Love 16
    Living for Love 17

Martin · Married on 09/07/2018

Melody was the officiant at our wedding in September 2018 and we would recommend her very highly!

Melody was a pleasure to deal with. In no time at all, we both felt like she really knew us as people and intrinsically understood our relationship. She asked her questions in a thoughtful way, genuinely listened to our answers and shaped the ceremony and her remarks exactly in line with the tone and tenor of our exchanges. So many of our guests commented on how beautiful the ceremony was and that was largely down to Melody.

She was also extremely practical when it came to providing suggested readings and walking us through the flow of the ceremony itself.

We will be eternally grateful to her for making our Wedding Day such a special one.

Sent on 09/25/2018

Living for Love's reply:

Thanks so much for the kind words, Martin. I'm so glad I could strike the right tone for y'all and that the suggestions I offered were helpful. Was such a pleasure to be part of this amazing day!

Larissa · Married on 07/21/2018

Melody was absolutely wonderful to work with. When searching for an officiant, we were looking for someone who would create and deliver a personal, intimate, and sincere ceremony for our wedding. We hoped to have a ceremony that reflected our beliefs about what marriage meant to us and felt authentic and genuine. Melody certainly delivered. Not only was our ceremony everything we hoped for, working with Melody up to the day was a pleasure. She took the time to meet with us over Skype and we felt like she really got to know us and our relationship in the months leading up to our wedding. We received so many compliments from our guests regarding our ceremony. Melody really helped to make it special.

Sent on 08/21/2018

Living for Love's reply:

I really enjoyed working with you both, and being part of your joyful and loving celebration! Thank you for your kind words.

Jamie · Married on 04/28/2018

We cannot recommend Melody enough! Choosing her as our officiant was one of the best wedding decisions we made. Melody really helped us flesh out our vision for the ceremony. She crafted a beautiful and intimate ceremony that not only captured my husband and my love for one another but also made our guests feel included in the process. We continue to have family and friends ask about Melody and comment on how special and unique our ceremony was.

Sent on 05/20/2018

Living for Love's reply:

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that your wedding was what you wanted it to be, and that your guests felt included. Go, community! And all the best to y'all both.

Jessica · Married on 12/17/2017

Melody was such a pleasure to work with. She worked with us to create a personal ceremony that was intimate and unique. Many of our guests commented that it was the most personalized ceremony they've ever witnessed. There were moments of laughter as well as tears. Working with Melody was a joy. She listened and incorporated elements into the ceremony that really worked for us and made it our own. If we renew our vows in later years, we'll be reaching out to her again! Thanks again Melody!

Sent on 12/20/2017

Living for Love's reply:

What fun to work with you both! I am glad to know you and to have been part of your beautiful wedding. All the best!
  • User7066530 · 1+ year ago

Melody was amazing to work with from the first consultantation to the end of pur ceremony. We had a small, intimate ceremony on the beach (not to mention Melody woke up at 4am and drove to us for our 7:15am ceremony at the beach!) and wanted something written that was very personalized and reflected what we were looking for. Melody asked very detailed questions about my wife and I during the process, and was very responsive to our changes while also offering very good advice on the flow of the ceremony and making it very specific to who we are as a couple. When we recieved the draft of the service, my wife and I could not make it through without crying because it was so beautifully written. Our guests were very impressed and many of them told us that it was the best written and most personal wedding ceremony the've ever heard. We keep having to re-read the ceremony over and over again because its amazing, and hiring Melody was one of the best decisons we made!

Sent on 01/16/2017

Living for Love's reply:

Thanks for the kind words! Your ceremony was so beautifully unique, and I wish you both all the best. Many congrats!

Brendan · Married on 09/30/2017

Melody was amazing. She worked with us, learned our story, and created a beautiful ceremony. We had so many compliments on her service, and they were well earned. Thanks so much to her! 5 stars.

Sent on 10/18/2017

Living for Love's reply:

I enjoyed working with you and Carrie so much. Your story is so sweet, and your wedding day was just gorgeous. All the best to you both in your lives ahead!

Morgan · Married on 09/02/2017

Melody was truly a God send for our wedding. We wanted something personal but didn't have a minister in the Richmond area that knew us as a couple yet. I had read reviews about how Melody can make it seem like she's known you forever, and that was absolutely true on our wedding day. We met with Melody once and it felt like she told our story on our wedding day better than either of us could. Multiple guests told us that it was the best ceremony they had ever been to. The homily that she put together was beautiful and she put us both at ease saying our own vows as well. Melody was truly able to capture us as individuals and as a couple and tell our story beautifully in front of our closest friends and family members. We had NO idea what to use for readings, scripture, or even the flow of the ceremony prior to meeting with Melody. She was able to guide us and help us through the entire process with ease. Our ceremony was absolutely perfect and everything we ever wanted thanks to Melody!

Sent on 09/09/2017

Living for Love's reply:

I so enjoyed working with you and David, Morgan - you are a heartfelt and fun couple, and I wish you so much happiness in your life ahead. Big hugs!

Cassandra · Married on 08/26/2017

Melody is simply the best! We weren't affiliated with any particular church in town, but we wanted a professional, someone with experience, to officiate our wedding, rather than relying on a friend or family member. Well, Melody is the ultimate professional, but she might as well have been a friend or family member - that is how personal and heartfelt our ceremony was. Right off the bat, we could tell that Melody really wanted to get to know us as a couple, to get to know our values, our personalities, and what we wanted for our ceremony. She had great suggestions, and did all of the work of putting the ceremony together thoughtfully, but she was also completely open to customizing everything and never pressured us to include or not include anything in particular. The end result was a ceremony that was completely "us" - it was heartfelt, funny, but also serious at the right times. I get choked up just thinking back to it! So many of our guests commented to us that our ceremony was their favorite part of the entire day, that they really enjoyed how personal it was and they loved hearing our story. They couldn't believe that we had only met Melody a few months before the wedding -
    it seemed like she had known us for years. Also really important - Melody has a great speaking voice and presence. She has a very calming voice and way about her, but at the same time, she is able to command the attention of the entire audience and really captivate people. We just can't say enough great things about her, and we fully recommend her to anyone looking to have a really meaningful and personalized wedding ceremony!

Sent on 10/04/2017

Living for Love's reply:

Thank you for your kind words, Cass! I'm glad to have been part of your beautiful ceremony, and that I could set a tone of presence and joy with you. Congrats to you both!!

Jessica · Married on 07/08/2017

Melody asks meaningful questions & expertly gets to know people’s styles and beliefs. She was a pleasure to work with because she honored our vision, our family, and our values. It was obvious she has true talent for this because she took care of so many details for us far ahead of time. Her writing and revising skills are strong. In fact, my partner writes for a living, and we both consider ourselves the academic type – in short, we loved Melody’s words. The process working with her was smooth, enjoyable, and not stressful. Above all, she gave us our dream ceremony that perfectly reflected who we are and the type of love we share.
    Thank you, Melody, from our entire family of 13. Love, Jessica and Salvatore.
    While planning, we did massive research in choosing the best wedding officiant. All the reviews are true about Melody Porter; you will be in the best hands with Melody guiding you through your own special ceremony.

Sent on 07/16/2017

Living for Love's reply:

Wow, Jessica - thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my words could resonate with you both, and your beautiful family, on your wedding day. I learned a lot from you and really enjoyed celebrating with you!

Stephanie · Married on 05/28/2017

Melody did a wonderful job at our ceremony and we received so many compliments about her. People asked how we met her because she made everything so personal and familiar that people thought we'd known her for years. Melody really listened when we talked initially and described the type of ceremony we wanted. She was flexible with modifying her outline and provided her script so that we could give additional input beforehand. We are very impressed by how she asked the right questions during our longer chat so that she could provide insight into our relationship to make the ceremony very meaningful and memorable. I highly recommend Melody!

Sent on 06/06/2017

Living for Love's reply:

I loved the unique touches you added into your ceremony, and it was a pleasure working with you both. I'm so glad your wedding was just as you wanted it! All the best.