Hotel El Convento Reviews

Hotel El Convento 7
  • Juvidalex

Juvidalex Vélez · Getting married on 06/20/2020

Amazing experience at Hotel El Convento with Tary

Tary greeted my family and I with a great, bright smile. I immediately felt welcomed and as if I were talking to a long time friend. She is extremely professional and prepared. She shared exactly where my cocktail hour and reception will be. She gave me examples with photos from past events on her iPad and a plan B if it rained. I could tell that Tary loves her job and that it is her passion. I knew before our meeting was over, that this was the place to hold my dream wedding.

Sent on 09/08/2019
  • Ayesha

Ayesha E. Huertas · Married on 06/23/2019

The wedding of our dreams

We visited El Convento several times before even getting engaged and were always blown away by its special character and beauty. From the first time we called Ely Rivera to discuss having our wedding there, she made us confident that the hotel could work with our budget and wishes to create a magical day. El Convento delivered! The entire team, from the bellmen to the wedding coordinator, was kind and professional. Our guests had an incredible time and so did we. All of the rooms were comfortable and lovely. The food was absolutely top notch, the presentation was gourmet and the flavor delicious. Ely worked with us on the bar/liquor to accommodate our budget - we couldn't have been happier with the final result. We highly recommend doing your wedding at El Convento, they will make the process easy, will help along the way with recommendations for other vendors and will execute your vision. They truly are a great team. Ely, Jorge, Sandra, Karla, Orby, Edwin, Frank, Caroline, Javier and many more who made this happen thank you from the bottom of our hearts, it was the best day of our lives. We can't wait to come back and visit El Convento. Ayesha and Marcus

Sent on 06/30/2019
    Hotel El Convento 14
    Hotel El Convento 15
    Hotel El Convento 16
    Hotel El Convento 17

Hotel El Convento's reply:

Congratulations Ayesha! Thank you for your kind words. It was our pleasure to host you and your guests! We hope to have you at your home in Old San Juan very soon :)

Nathalie · Married on 05/31/2019

Amazing venue and service!

I was suggested Hotel El Convento by my wedding planner Maria Lugo after understanding our vision for our wedding. Since I live in the DC area, I booked this venue sight unseen and relied on purely internet photos and on the expertise of my wedding planner. For those who are looking to do things the way I did, please know that the pictures of El Convento on the internet just do not do it full justice. This place is absolutely breath taking and the salon Campeche which is the room where we held the reception is truly out of a magazine! I was partnered up with Tary Jordan which was our hotel coordinator and she was amazing. Throughout the year of our planning, she was extremely responsive, attended each of my emails , and called me back to ensure any of my doubts or questions were answered! She was such a pleasure to work with and strongly suggest that you request to work with her if you have the chance! The service though out the night of the reception was above 5 stars! All of my guests were so impressed on how attentive the staff was and how well everyone was taken care of! This place has everything you can possibly desire in a wedding, 100% recommend!

Sent on 06/12/2019
    Hotel El Convento 18
    Hotel El Convento 19
    Hotel El Convento 20
    Hotel El Convento 21
    Hotel El Convento 22
    Hotel El Convento 23

Hotel El Convento's reply:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us Nathalie! We wish you all the happiness to Luis & yourself.

Hope to see you back in your Old San Juan home very soon!

Best,

• Jordan

Jordan · Married on 03/20/2019

A Unique and Memorable Experience

My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful experience on our wedding day. Hotel El Convento truly exceeded our expectations, making our day unforgettable. From the beauty of the venue, to the superior service and food, and lastly to the beautiful suite we had for the night, we would not have changed a thing.

The staff at El Convento is super professional and knowledgeable. They also work with the most amazing professional vendors from photographers, to hair and makeup, to decorations, to the ministers, and to the MCs and DJs . You don't see the same quality of product or service in the states that often!

The venue was stunningly beautiful, creating a romantic and authentic ambience. The food was outstanding and also authentic, unlike a lot of the Americanized menus you'll find elsewhere. Even though our wedding was small and intimate (27 people including us), it was still a lively party with great music. Lastly, we stayed in a beautiful suite, free of charge the night of the wedding and walked in to a bottle of champagne on ice with a desert and card and rose pedals everywhere.

I highly recommend this venue for a unique, authentic experience with unmatched service. You will not regret it!

Sent on 04/07/2019

Hotel El Convento's reply:

Thank you for your kind words Jordan! It was our pleasure to assist you in planning your special day.
    We are extremely happy you and your guests had a wonderful time. We look forward to having you back in your home at Old San Juan.

Congratulations,

Katie · Married on 02/17/2019

Beautiful wedding in Salon Campeche

This hotel is gorgeous. Trust Ely - she knows what she’s doing. I wasn’t a super planner, and left alot of the details up to Ely. Everything was amazing, the staff was so helpful, and the location is gorgeous. Our friends loved theur rooms, as well as the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. Food and drinks were delish - people could not stop taking about the Flan and Sangria!

Sent on 03/06/2019
    Hotel El Convento 24
    Hotel El Convento 25
    Hotel El Convento 26
  • Heather

Heather Torres · Married on 02/09/2019

Simply Perfection Across the Board

There are not enough good things I can say about this Hotel both as a hotel and a wedding venue. The service, food and overall experience were A+++. My wedding exceeded my wildest expectations and I had high ones! If I could do it all over again, I would 100% do it at Hotel El Convento. A truly unforgettable wedding for both myself and my guests. We will be talking about it for years to come. Would highly, highly recommend!

Sent on 02/13/2019
  • Liz

Liz · Married on 10/13/2018

Ely and Diane made me feel like a queen on my wedding day!

My husband and I wanted something low-key and budget friendly. For years, El Convento had been my “dream wedding” venue. I never believed I could afford such a beautiful reception. On a whim, I reached out to El Convento’s WONDERFUL catering manager, Ely Rivera, who provided us with a flexible quote to meet many budgets.

Ely consistently worked with us via email and in person throughout the whole process. She reached out to us when our options could change. For an additional charge, she took care of booking La Rogativa via the National Park Service and provided chairs for the ceremony, plus a backup indoor room for in climate weather. I had previously attempted to contact the NPS on my own, but could not get through to anybody. Ely was able to use her professional contacts and take care of it.

Due to our budget constraints, we didn’t book flowers or any other extra decorations. We had candles as the centerpieces, and used the linens/china/chairs/etc that came with the base package. At no point did anyone make us feel like we were beneath the standards of a luxury hotel. Ely even recommended to me that we use the gold chairs to match the china, rather than simply using my first choice of white.

Ely was present on the day of our wedding and gave us all the cues we needed for walking down the isle, the grand entrance, first dances, etc. Trust me, you will need this extra help.

Another fantastic element of my wedding was Diane, our personal attendant. She is YOUR server. The entire time we were taking our photos, dancing, and socializing, Diane was there. I had no idea this was part of the package. Initially, I thought she was simply going to bring us our drinks - until she helped me change into my dancing shoes! Seriously - Does your husband want to take his jacket and tie off to dance? Diane will make sure it gets back to your room. Are you too busy and nervous to eat? Diane will make sure you have a plate wrapped up for later. Do you want to step away from the crowd to have a smoke break? Diane will find you a discreet corner. Whatever you need, ask Diane.

I cannot recommend El Convento more. Five stars, all around.

Sent on 10/25/2018
  • Lizamarie

Lizamarie · Married on 08/18/2018

Spanish Colonial Charm in Old San Juan

When my now-husband and I decided to get married in Puerto Rico, we knew we would get married in Old San Juan. I was born and raised in PR in the West coast and my husband grew up in Virginia. For logistic purposes, we wanted a wedding in SJ so our out-of-town guests could fly in to the main SJ airport. And what better place to have a wedding than in the old, walled city of San Juan. Within Old San Juan, Hotel El Convento was the essence of our wedding theme - Spanish Colonial Charm! The service from the hotel staff was excellent from the food tasting to the actual wedding day. Not one detail was overlooked. We even had a "kids play room" adjacent to the main banquet hall and everyone raved about how great it was to have the room and hired nannies take care of the little ones while the adults danced the night away in beautiful Salon Campeche. Our wedding was truly magical and I could not have imagined a more perfect venue than Hotel El Convento. The hotel has everything you could dream of: excellent food, beautiful spaces, elegant rooms, and conveniently located within walking distances of all Old San Juan has to offer. We will definitely be staying at Hotel El Convento for future wedding anniversaries to remember our one truly special day!

Sent on 02/11/2019
    Hotel El Convento 27
    Hotel El Convento 28

Amanda · Married on 08/04/2018

We planned our wedding at El Convento from abroad. Tary and the rest of the team at El Convento provided excellent service. From our visit to the venue a year earlier, even through the recovery of Hurricane Maria, the team was always responsive and attentive to our wishes. They accommodated us to hold the ceremony in the courtyard and it was absolutely stunning. The food during the cocktail hour and reception was excellent. There was more than enough space in the reception hall for our 130 guests to have a wonderful time with ample space for a dance floor. Diane, our shadow provided by the hotel, was excellent and made sure that all of our needs were met during the event. The experience was everything we wanted and I would recommend others to book this venue as well.

Sent on 08/19/2018

Stephanie · Married on 05/25/2018

Fantastic Location, Amazing Service!

Hotel El Convento hosted our wedding celebration this past May. It was the most ideal choice of a wedding venue! Not only is the location amazing, but the service they provided - by way of Tary, our wedding coordinator - was outstanding. I cannot recommend this venue enough. The staff was very caring, attentive and responsive. The day was magnificent and it was in no little part because of the team at Hotel El Convento that makes sure you and your partner are the most important people of that day!

Sent on 06/17/2019

Amelia · Married on 01/13/2018

We were delighted with our experience at El Convento. From the customer service to the food, everything was perfect! When we visited 6 months before our wedding, Ely showed us around and made our tasting experience amazing. We had no reservations about the food or service our guests would receive. During the week of our wedding, they were extremely accommodating. They even upgraded us to the Presidential Suite, which was an amazing experience and facilitated some exceptional getting-ready photos. The Martorell Room, which we used for our reception, is a one of a kind masterpiece. Painted and decorated by a renowned Puerto Rican artist, the room needs only minimal décor and every photo looked amazing.

Sent on 02/17/2018

Dear Amelia,
    Thank you so much for allowing us the pleasure of hosting your wedding. We are so happy you and your guests enjoyed your day! Hope to have you back with us soon.
    Warm Regards,

Alexandra · Married on 01/05/2018

What a service! Hotel el Convento is simply the perfect venue for weddings.

Sent on 01/16/2018
  • Carolyn

Carolyn · Married on 12/02/2017

What can I say... our wedding was perfect in every single way. After the hurricane, we were worried that our dream wedding day was no longer a reality. I'm originally from Puerto Rico and the thought of doing the wedding anywhere else broke my heart. The team at El Convento, and particularly Fabiola, went above and beyond to ensure that our wedding would turn out exactly as we had originally planned. When I think back to my wedding day, not a single thing was wrong. The food was perfect, the venue looked amazing, and the service above and beyond. The food was delicious and all of our guests were raving about the sancocho. Drinks were plentiful. Fabiola was there to comfort me every step of the way. Thank you, El Convento wedding team for making all of our dreams come true. If we could do our wedding again, we would go back to El Convento in a heartbeat. Lots of love, Carolyn & Peter

Sent on 01/10/2018
    Hotel El Convento 29
    Hotel El Convento 30

Jenny · Married on 05/21/2017

We recently had our wedding at Hotel El Convento and I am so thrilled with our decision. Having toured numerous wedding venues, I was disappointed to not be finding exactly what I was looking for. After our first visit we knew right away this is where we wanted to have our wedding. Throughout the process MariOlga Martinez were so incredibly accommodating, super quick with responses, and overall fun/friendly people to work with. Anything we wanted done she figured out a way to make it work. Making selections at our tasting was very difficult because everything was so delicious. We had a ton of guests from out of town and everyone absolutely loved their stay at the hotel. My wedding day could not have been more perfect! Everything ran so smoothly, food was absolutely amazing. So many of our guests told us it was the best wedding food they've ever had. Hotel el Convento is truly a treasure with excellent service, delicious food & incredible atmosphere. Trust me, you will not regret having your wedding there! Big Thanks to Gabriel Gualdi, Iwete Santiago, Orville Rodriguez, and off course Mariolga Martinez. I wish I had the names of all the employees that worked the night of my wedding to thank them for such an amazing job they all did! Thanks again to all the employees that make that night awesome.

Sent on 06/15/2017

Thank you Jenny!
    We appreciate the compliments. It is always a pleasure to provide our guests with wonderful memories. I will for sure share your comments with our staff.

Best regards,

fcruz@elconvento.com

Katrina · Married on 02/24/2017

Ely is so wonderful!! The entire staff at Hotel El Convento is incredible! First Class!! They are all so friendly and attentive. The attention to detail and beautiful presentation made our wedding even more beautiful and special than we ever imagined. Plus, the food is amazing!!! Our guests loved it!! We are so grateful to Hotel El Convento for making our wedding day extra special!!!

Sent on 03/09/2017

Amanda · Married on 07/03/2016

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. Since we first stepped into the El Convento, my now husband and I were in love with everything about it, the architecture, the history, the rooms, the food, the surrounding, the staff. We had a cocktail party at El Convento to welcome all of our guests before our destination wedding. The ambiance and food were Amazing! The paella was the best I have ever had and all our guests agreed! So many people said they want to come back to Puerto Rico and stay at the hotel. There is something so mesmorizong about this place! And thank you to Ely who made it turn out perfect!! She was wonderful!

Sent on 07/14/2016

Adriana · Married on 07/02/2016

We hosted both our wedding reception and the farewell brunch for our destination wedding at Hotel El Convento and both were a great success! The reception was in the incredible Salon Campeche and the brunch was in Salon Oller the next day. The venue is so beautiful and in the best location for a romantic and elegant destination wedding that is sure to run smoothly because the staff at Hotel El Convento are so professional. I was very worried about my July 2016 wedding due to weather and Zika concerns but in the end, we had more than a 60% attendance rate and we realized just how overblown these concerns are in the media. The property was patient, took all the required precautions, and helped us execute the most beautiful wedding. We are so happy we decided to have a destination wedding here and could not be more grateful for our experience. Throughout the planning process the catering manager was responsive and quickly addressed all our concerns, questions, and requests. We had a backup plan in case of rain and even though it rained heavily until noon the day of the wedding, I was never stressed. Thank you a million times!

Sent on 07/21/2016

Clark · Married on 02/13/2016

I think it would be hard to find a better place in Old San Juan to hold a wedding reception than El Convento. Everything was perfect and guests can't stop talking about it. Ely and her team did an outstanding job helping put our special day together. Ely was very responsive, professional, and great to work with. I highly recommend holding you wedding reception at El Convento.

Sent on 02/19/2016

Stephanie Gonzales helped me from the beginning, she was very accessible and accommodating. I was able to get all the answers I need it before booking the venue. The Paoli room was cozy and private perfect for the 50 guest we had in our wedding, we decide it to go with the food stations and allow our guest to eat as much food as they prefer. Everyone loved it, the paella was hands down everyone favorite dish. the hotel is a beautiful building rich with details and beautiful Spanish architecture i was very pleased with our decision.

Sent on 03/10/2016
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 12/30/2015

Ely was an amazing help throughout the planning process and day of. Our initial plan was to have ~30 family/friends attend our small intimate wedding at EC. Just days after we sent our deposit, we found out that my sister and SIL were BOTH expecting and due around our date 4/2/16 and there was no way I was getting married with everyone but them there. Our options were to push the wedding back a year, lose the deposit and get married at home (Chicago), or elope. After much thought, we decided to scrap the full wedding, move the date up and get married just the two of us. We couldn't be more happy with that decision. Ely was very accommodating and allowed us to apply our deposit to an elopement ceremony. The day went flawlessly and we were even invited by the governor to take photos at his mansion! A day we will truly never forget and wouldn't have been possible without Ely and El Convento.

Sent on 01/10/2016

Having my wedding at El Convento! My guests also stayed at the hotel. The hotel was so luxurious! My guest were blown away. They hosted a wonderful cocktail for my guest and I did no planning for it! They had an amazing wine hour for guests, and always had ice cold water bottles and coffee! It was just such an amazing experience. There were no hidden fee with my wedding which I also did there. It was just an absolute pleasure to work with everyone there!

Sent on 10/21/2015

Valerie · Married on 06/20/2015

Hotel El Convento was the perfect place for my wedding. BEAUTIFUL PLACE.
    Ely was very professional and attentive to our specific needs and that made it all come as I wished..

Sent on 09/02/2015

Kristi · Married on 06/06/2015

I had my wedding and reception at El Convento. Everything was absolutely perfect and I am so happy that we chose a destination wedding in Puerto Rico.

Ely is very helpful and was there to make sure every detail was perfect. I was pleasantly surprised by how much individual attention our wedding received since it was smaller and they had multiple events going on.

The food at my reception was one of the best meals I had in PR. The service staff was also so nice and went above expectations. I would say everything about El Convento exceeded any expectations I had. When we return to PR in the future we will definitely stay at El Convento again. I am so thankful for the wonderful experience we had and I truly couldn't have asked for a better wedding!

Sent on 07/31/2015

Matt · Married on 05/26/2015

We spent our wedding night here, this is such an amazing place to stay. It is beautiful and the service is fantastic. They also upgraded us to suite.

Sent on 06/02/2015