HJ Planners Reviews

102 | Washington, DC

102 Reviews for HJ Planners

Deborah · Married on 03/19/2011

We had a somewhat unusual request and Amanada made it all happen flawlessly! Thank you Amanda!!!

Sent on 04/05/2011

Kathleen · Married on 10/09/2010

This was an exceptionally well organized and knowledgeable group of individuals. They were always available to answer questions, give guidance and recommendations and in general to calm the nerves. As a result of their good planning and oversight the "Big Day" was a great success. We received many compliments on how well everything turned out. I always answer by saying that the good results are thanks to HJ PLanners.
    I would highly recommend this group of individuals to everyone who is planning a wedding. No matter how much you may think you know or have already planned and established, having someone like this group there on that last day is worth every penny paid. They pick up all the pieces and tie up all the loose ends--things you can't even think about at the last minute. I can't say enough good things about them--I wish I had them around me everyday.

Sent on 10/22/2010

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you! We enjoyed getting to know you and your wonderful and welcoming family! Planning the wedding was so much fun. Please stay in touch...Happy Holidays!

Aleks · Married on 10/09/2010

It was so wonderful working with HJ Planners! I was totally anti-planner when I first began planning my big day, I didn't think a stranger would be able to help me envision the day I wanted. A couple months into planning and I realized it was more than I could handle! My Mom and I contacted HJ Planners and from the moment I met Heather I sighed a huge sigh of relief! They were able to take all of the stress of planning off of me and made it all an enjoyable experience! They dealt with all of my vendors, gave wonderful suggestions and most importantly created for us the day we always dreamed of! Our wedding went off without a hitch and I absolutely owe it all to HJ Planners!

Sent on 12/09/2010

HJ Planners's reply:

Aleks, it was such a pleasure to plan your wedding. You and Chris are so great to work with and we enjoyed getting to know you both. We hope you are having a wonderful first holiday as a married couple! Keep in touch...hope to see you guys again soon!

Roxanne · Married on 06/12/2010

I have never been so glad about getting involved with a company as I have been with HJ Planners!

As the Mother of the Bride I wanted a memorable and fun wedding for my daughter Megan and her wonderful fiance Stuart. HJ Planners were certainly instrumental in attaining this goal.

Heather was a wonderful point person working with Megan from the start. Megan had ever confidence in Heather at a time that was very stressful and busy.

As an assistant, Marie was wonderful...so cooperative and such a hard worker.

On the big day we did not have to "worry" about anything! Heather, Maria, Frank, and Homyra took care of every single detail. They met with us at about 9:30 a.m the morning of the wedding and were working their "magic" until well after midnight.

Even the day after the wedding when we had some questions they were most helpful. I have never worked with professionals who were so quick to call you back to answer questions or help out with some difficulties.

I can without a doubt recommend HJ Planners to anyone who has a event to plan. I would certainly go to them again without hesitation. They helped make our dreams for Megan and Stuart come true!

Sent on 06/25/2010

HJ Planners's reply:

We had a fantastic time assisting with the planning of Stu and Megan's wedding! Thank you for such a sparkling review of our work!

Lara · Married on 06/12/2010

Hiring HJ Planners was the single best decision I made for my wedding! I hired HJ Planners soon after getting engaged--before any other vendors--and they navigated me through figuring out my budget, finding and hiring vendors, reviewing contracts with vendors to ensure that my wedding day went perfectly, and managing the vendors on my wedding day. In addition, the staff at HJ Planners was always professional, informed, and responsive whenever I had any questions during my engagement, and went above and beyond to provide great client service. They are the best value in DC, and the planning process and my wedding day went perfectly because of them!

Sent on 07/04/2010

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you, Lara! We truly enjoyed planning your wedding and getting to know you and John as a couple in the process.

Megan · Married on 06/12/2010

I would highly recommend HJ Planners to any bride. The services that they provided were professional and efficient. The team made our day perfect!

Sent on 08/28/2010

HJ Planners's reply:

Thanks, Megan! You were stunning on your big day and looked so completely happy!

Nicholas · Married on 09/12/2009

Heather and Jen were fantastic to work with: professional, diligent, creative, and dedicated. They couldn't have made our wedding better. We hired them half way through the wedding planning process and my only regret is that we hadn't hired them sooner. They have fantastic relationships with some of the best vendors in the DC area and ended up saving us a ton of money. It would be hard to say enough nice things about them and I would recommend them highly to anyone looking for a wedding planner.

Sent on 11/17/2009

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you! We had a great time planning with you and Meg!

Denise · Married on 09/12/2009

HJ Planners are great! I was the skeptical mother-of-the-bride who didn't think we needed a wedding planner. I couldn't have been more mistaken and my daugher could not have had such a beautiful wedding without their help. From dealing with vendors, to overseeing wedding transport of guests, to getting eveyone down the aisle, Heather, Jen, and Maria made everything go seamlessly. They are total professionals who are meticulous about details -- and friendly too.

I can't recommend them highly enough. They were a huge part of making my daughter's wedding a perfect day!

Sent on 12/10/2009

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you for the amazing review! We enjoyed every step of the planning process and assisting with the big day!

B · Married on 06/06/2009

Wonderful planners. Would highly recommend--helped make the day flawless. Incredible attention to detail.

Sent on 12/11/2009

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you for the great review! It was a pleasure to assist with your wedding!

Lora · Married on 04/25/2009

Heather and Jen did a wonderful job! I would highly recommend HJ Planners. They were very professional and made our day truly special, from remembering every detail to keeping the bride calm. Thank you, again, for all of your help!

Sent on 12/10/2009

HJ Planners's reply:

This was such a beautiful wedding and you two are an amazing couple. Thanks for letting us be a part of your special day!

Myomi · Married on 06/21/2014

My now husband and I are relatively new to the D.C. area and it was important for us to work with a wedding planner who had contacts with and knew the ins-and-outs of good venues and vendors. We met with Heather about two years before our wedding date and we quickly decided to work with Heather and her team. Looking back at the wedding process and fully digesting the time, patience, and organization required to coordinate a beautiful wedding, we could not have imagined accomplishing this daunting task without Heather and her team.

Heather and her team were very flexible and accommodating with our busy work schedules. With respect to the very few issues we had with any vendor, Heather stepped-up and was able to work with us and the vendor to smooth out any bumps we encountered on the road to planning a successful and lovely wedding.

We are so grateful and appreciative of Heather and her team's efforts in making our wedding a wonderful and memorable time for everyone involved. Heather was very responsive via email, telephone, and text messages at almost any time, day and night. Our wedding was absolutely gorgeous and we cannot be happier with how it turned out. We are very thankful for Heather and her team's services in helping us plan our wedding.

Sent on 07/07/2014

robin · Married on 01/19/2014

I cannot imagine how my wedding would have come together WITHOUT Heather and the HJ Planners team. She took my Downton Abbey vision and executed it to perfection, even making sure that every vendor had seen at least a few episodes of the show.

HJ Planners kept me UNDER budget and on task, which was especially difficult considering I moved twice during the 8 months that we worked together and was mostly a long distance bride. I trusted Heather so much that even when I was present at vendor meetings, I would automatically turned to her to answer any of their questions because I knew that she and I were on the same page.

Heather: thank you, thank you, THANK you for making our day so special!

Sent on 02/18/2014

Thank you, Robin!

Heather and Team were great - professional, responsive and easy to work with! Their prices are competitive, but make sure you fully understand any additional costs - in the momentum of the wedding event you can easily get caught up with extras and additonal charges.

Sent on 08/20/2013

Rebecca · Married on 07/14/2012

HJ Planners were great. Heather is so organized and she was really helpful with negotiating contracts and dealing with all the different vendors! Plus, they get a discount with certain vendors which is really helpful.

We had a 7 page detailed timeline for the day of, and it went off without a hitch. Knowing Heather and Maria were on the scene, I literally did not worry about anything and totally enjoyed the day. Maria was by my side constantly at the wedding, giving me everything I could need and more. I seriously couldn't have done it without them!

Sent on 08/01/2012

Thank you, Rebecca!
  • O

Lantian · Married on 10/14/2011

We were planning our wedding in DC metro area when we were still living overseas and preparing for an international relocation at the same time. Having HJ Planners saved us a lot of leg work. Their key assistance included (but are not limited to) the recommendation and seletion of the venue, caterer, photographer, cake baker, DJ, florist, bridal hair and make-up salon, transportation options, hotel blocks, officiant.

Amanda was a pleasure to work with. She was understanding and very responsive to my detailed questions and requests. When she had to go on vacation for a week, she sent a detailed email summarizing status of various items and handing it over to her colleagues. A few days before the wedding, I was tied up entertaining family memembers who came into town and didn't respond to Amanda's emails timely. She called me just to make sure all is okay and I wasn't "MIA".

Maria and others at HJ Planners also provided help when needed. They helped us to get out of a sticky situation (our fault) with one vendor. On the day of the wedding, Maria also helped me sew layers of the train of my wedding dress so that it is easier for me to move around during the reception.

I appreciate their service and am happy to recommend them to other couples planning for their big-day!

Sent on 10/17/2011

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you for your wonderful review! It was such a pleasure to work with you both. Congratulations - you are a beautiful couple!

Tracy · Married on 12/18/2010

HJ Planners has exceptional combination of personal and organizational skills that enabled them to work patiently with us to pull together our wedding in a very short amount of time. We only had about 3 months to plan a church and reception for 60 people in the busy holiday season. We had no clue of what we wanted or of how to put together a wedding. And we were totally overwhelmed by the details. Even with the short time frame, Heather and Maria, didn't flinch. They took us through every option step by step from venue search to flower selection and answered any concern or question in a professional responsive manner. They never made us feel like a bother or self conscious and I never had the feeling that they were planning any other wedding. Everything that seemed impossible to me - they seemed to make happen. We had a death in the family a month before the wedding and HJ was sensitive but marched forward with what had to be done. I was terribly picky about the dress and Heather was able to guide me to a decision and find someone to deliver a new one in time. Heather and Maria had all vendors organized and everything went off nearly perfect on the wedding day. I didn't spare a thought over the logistics. If not for HJ Planners, there is no way we would have been able to pull off our lovely day in such a short amount of time. Choose HJ if you want thoughtful - professional results!

Sent on 01/07/2011

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you so much, Tracy!

Beth and Brian · Married on 10/06/2012

Maria and Heather did a great job as our planners and were a pleasure to get to know throughout the time we worked together. From the beginning they helped us establish our budget and got things kicked off in terms of advice and recommendations of vendors to use. This ultimately ended up saving us a considerable amount of time and effort - plus several of the vendors they recommended gave discounted prices to us as HJ Planner clients. Heather's expertise in contract review is notable, as she modified several of our big ticket items to be in our favor, and gave us confidence to move forward. Most importantly, we had a fantastic wedding and couldn't have asked for a more responsive helpful team along the way.

Sent on 12/04/2012

Thank you very much!

kathy · Married on 08/07/2010

Heather and her staff were very flexible and ready to do whatever was required to assist my daughter and I in wedding planning.

Sent on 01/06/2011

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you, Kathy! We enjoyed working with you on such an important day!

Greg · Married on 03/06/2010

HJ Planners were instrumental in helping us plan our wedding, but it was not until the wedding weekend came did we appreciate their true value. As organized as we were, there were so many details that we needed last minute assistance with - all of which HJ Planners took care of perfectly. Our wedding was a success much to the hard work and experience of HJ Planners.

Sent on 04/27/2010

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you for a great review! It was such a fun day and perfect weather for your wedding!

Shameka · Married on 10/26/2013

Because I had planned my wedding myself, I only hired HJ Planners for their day-of services. Although I was confident that I had everything in order, I knew I needed a day-of coordinator for piece of mind. As organized as I was, there were still little details that we needed a professional to handle. Admittedly, my wedding had a lot of moving parts and vendors (about a half dozen), so there was definitely potential for chaos. Luckily, Jessica and her team made sure the day ran smoothly and kept all of the vendors organized. They also stayed on site after the event to make sure they collected and returned all of our items.

Sent on 04/26/2014

Thank you, Shameka!
  • I

Iris · Married on 07/16/2011

By and large Maria was great. She handled the vendors beautifully. We had some issues with details but over all she contributed to a beautiful day!

Sent on 07/22/2011

• W

YingXin · Married on 08/28/2010

HJ Planners worked with us during the last two months before the wedding, and by then we had only booked the venue. It released a lot of pressure for us and they guided us through the steps. We were satisfied with most of the vendors that they set up for us, according to our budget. If it could have come with more choices, it would be better. Heather is both professional and flexible. She even taught us how to dance:)
    On the day, their service was awesome! The layout was beautiful, beyond our expectation.They guided the guests, reminded us the next thing in line and answered to whatever was needed. The thing that could be improved is gift sorting and storage so that people do not need to come up to the couple asking for places to put them around.
    Overall, we were happy to work with them, and would recommend them to our friends.

Sent on 09/01/2010

Thanks, Wendy!

Heather and Maria walked us through the entire process from finding a site to walking down the isle. They provided a realistic budget and a choice of vendors that would provide the best service within our budget. They attended vendor meetings with us and scheduled times for us to meet with officiants. They were always available by phone or email for any questions we had and kept us on budget and on our timeline. The wedding was absolutely perfect and the reception went off without a hitch. We thing their services were worth every penny and they provided us with priceless piece of mind leading up to and on our special day.

Sent on 11/07/2013

C · Married on 04/06/2013

4.2
      3.5

Some frustration with the accuracy in vendor contracts

Sent on 05/15/2013

Caroline · Married on 07/16/2011

3.8
      3.0
      2.5

I first heard of HJ planners because I go to the same hairdresser as the owner and was given her card. When I emailed her from the website I was called back immediately and on a Saturday no less! This was very impressive to me because I had been getting the runaround from site vendors and was wondering what had happened to customer service. When we first spoke Heather made me feel so at ease and picked up on my easy going nature and sense of humor and even put one of our inside jokes into the contract. I usually decide with my gut and I had a good feeling about her company. The rest of our relationship was up and down. Her and her partners continued to be prompt when replying to our questions but they most turned the questions back to us and made us decide. We had hoped the point of hiring them was that they would take care of all that. My other complaints were that they did not direct, they did not take the reigns when I needed them too. I had explicitly indicated we needed step by step directions for the ceremony because we were asking a friend to marry us after being ordained online and she had never done this before. They were no help at all and my friend stepped up to determine who walked with who, pacing, where people should stand at the alter, the order of things etc. She was not getting paid for that. Multiple times during the wedding day I could not find a single representative from HJ planners even though 4 of them had shown up (we only paid for 2 but they felt 2 more would be of help for the size and scope of the wedding). I had no idea when and where I was needed for pictures or when to get ready for my entrance. I was a nervous wreck until one of the staff from the VENUE came to rescue me in my suite. That should not have happened. At another point before I was announced I told my main planner that I really had to pee and she told me to hold it for 45 minutes. At first I said ok but then my MOH's told me that everyone could wait for ME and that I should go so I did and felt so much better There were some more similar examples of how they slacked the day of and my wedding party or family had to do what I thought was in their contract. To be honest I did not pay for the most expensive, comprehensive package and maybe I should have to get the service I imagined in my head but this is just one person's perspective. The wedding had its blips as all do but over all it was amazing and truly memorable. The guests had no idea what was going on behind the scenes at all and I'm thankful for that. Bottom line this company does a good job in the planning department but could be improved in the execution.

Sent on 11/08/2011

HJ Planners's reply:

Thank you for your feedback. There were two coordinators, so we're not sure what company was represented by the other two individuals. We would be happy to discuss at your convenience.