Helios Images Reviews

44 | Alameda, CA

44 Reviews for Helios Images

Libbie Aaron · Married on 07/13/2018

Doug and Katherine, thank you so much for everything these past several months! From the engagement shoot, to our wedding day, we are beyond grateful not just for your incredible artistry and craft, but equally your kindness and creativity. Every step of the way we loved having you by our side. Anyone who has the pleasure to work with you is better for it, and we can't wait to have more of our life captured through your lens.

Natalie · Married on 11/09/2017

Where to begin.... Doug beautifully captured the most incredible days of my life (engagement and celebration). It was like living my best imaginable dream, and I'm so grateful that he was there to capture it. ☺️

We will truly cherish our photos for the rest of our lives. Doug puts his heart into his work, and he was really gracious in getting teaser photos to us quickly- we had an incredible time sharing with family and friends. Doug is so talented and beyond that, also an incredible human.

colette · Married on 11/05/2016

Being a wedding designer with over 4,000 weddings and special events that I am credited for, I have had the opportunity to work with some of the best photographers in the country. Douglas is in my top 5 of those photographers who have an artistic yet romantic and sentimental side that gets the emotion and the "real love story" of the couple, the family, the dear friends and those that make up the heart of a wedding. Douglas creates the most meaningful portraits that will live on not only through your lifetime but your children's children. If you are fortunate enough to know him as a person and have him celebrate your wedding as well, then you will have an experience you will never forget.

Christine · Married on 09/23/2016

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Doug. He made special arrangements to match a pretty low quote that I got from another photographer because he knew how much I really wanted to use his service and how I loved his pics on his website. He always got back to me as soon as he could and never let me down, not once! Wedding aside, my (now) husband and I feel like we've known Doug forever. He's so friendly and good-spirited. I would hire him again and again if we lived in the area! THANK YOU Doug/Helios!!

Scott · Married on 08/13/2016

Hiring Doug to photograph our wedding was one of the best decisions we made during our planning. Doug is nice, chill, and easy going. He even spent time out of his day to hang out for lunch to get to know us better. The more we got to know him, the more we knew he was a perfect fit for the wedding.

Doug's documentary style photography was able to capture those fleeting moments people seem to forget about. He was also very unobtrusive, most of the time I didn't know he was there taking pictures! Doug is also very flexible in what you need to be photographed. For instance we needed more traditional photographs with the family. So he was able to manage and direct groups of people together to take pictures.

Having Doug be our wedding photographer just seemed right and we are glad he could be a part of our wedding, he is a way chill dude to hang out with and also very professional. Hire this guy now! We plan to again.

Lisa · Married on 08/13/2016

Doug is simply the best! He photographed our wedding this past August and we couldn't be happier with the photos he captured of our special day.

My husband and I first came across Helios Images through Yelp and fell in love with Doug's documentary style photography. When I contacted him, he responded right away and was excited to hear about our wedding plans. My husband and I met him in person a couple of weeks later and the three of us just clicked. We knew without a doubt he was the right person to photograph our wedding.

Doug's friendly demeanor was an asset on our big day, as he organized our many family members for group photos with ease. He quietly took shots throughout the evening and was able to capture some wonderful moments. I swear, the man is a ninja!

We can't thank Doug enough for his outstanding work. He captured memories that we will cherish forever, and we can't wait for him to be our family photographer in the near future.

Lydia · Married on 06/18/2016

We had a wonderful experience with Doug and Katherine who took our engagement and wedding photos. They were both so easy to work and had a great way of making us feel really comfortable as we were having the more formal pictures done. We couldn't be happier with the amazing shots they captured. We'll treasure them! - Lydia & Tim

Elizabeth · Married on 12/05/2015

Doug is the absolute best. We had decided somewhat last minute to elope to Big Sur and not only was Doug super responsive he was incredibly warm, helpful and excited about getting us the wedding pictures of our dreams. And those pictures are better than we could have imagined! It was a very intimate ceremony and Doug not only captured those beautiful moments in sweet and touching ways, but his presence was also so fun and enjoyable that we really felt like we were enjoying the moment with someone who really cared about us (not to mention laughing with us on our silly jokes, bad impressions and trying new places he'd never shot before).

I was drawn to Doug's photos based on his website and he not only delivered but exceeded our expectations. His enthusiasm, genuine kindness and knowledge of the area, made our day even more special because he was there. We couldn't recommend Doug more!

Tara · Married on 10/29/2015

I'm writing this review on our first anniversary. To say that Doug made our wedding dreams come true is an understatement. Let me preface this by saying I was 7 months pregnant, sick and stressed and my husband was working full-time and was a student. Planning a wedding was beyond our scope of capability and then my husband and I found Doug. Doug is, simply put, a wonderful human and artist. The first time we spoke with him I said, just please show my baby but not, you know, the fact that I am 7 months pregnant. Also, because we eloped and for our unborn son, we wanted those we love to feel like they were there. To this day countless people tell us we have the most beautiful wedding pictures they have ever seen. Doug was one of 2 guests at our wedding and it's a joy to think he was able to share and capture the day with us (he even signed our marriage certificate as a witness :)) Because of his vision and sensitivity the photos would make anyone feel like they shared the day with us. We would recommend Doug without hesitation and with the highest regard.

Victoria · Married on 10/10/2015

Doug is awesome! In our search for a photographer for our wedding day, Doug was the most professional, friendly and accommodating. After exchanging a few emails and chatting with him over the phone, we knew for sure that we wanted him to shoot our wedding day. Also, last minute we had decided to do engagement pictures. Doug was able to make it happen for us. It was our first time taking professional photos so my husband and I were a little nervous at first but with Doug's advice and direction, we were able to relax and feel more comfortable. It ended up being a really fun day for us. His work really does speak for itself. Our engagement and wedding day photos came out awesome! His style of photography really captured the joy we felt on our wedding day. I could not have been more happier. The photos were breathtaking. I would definitely recommend Doug at Helios Images to all my family and friends and look forward to working with him again in the future.

Sadie · Married on 09/27/2015

As a planner I am often asked for photographer recommendations and Doug is at the top of my list. Especially for clients looking for something just a little different. Very photo journalistic in style, Doug captures the soft looks between couples, those personal moments that bring back the warm emotions of a wedding celebration, and without being intrusive. He works both in digital and film, ask him about his "negative strip prints" they are an art work themselves. Negatives from each portion of the wedding are lined up and a large posted made that captures the journey of your wedding day. As a planner, Doug is easy going, gracious and comfortable to work with. Always good about checking in, making sure the client understands the details of his service and is adaptable when time lines shift or additional toasts are needed. Looking forward to working together this wedding season Doug!

Matthew · Married on 09/26/2015

Doug is incredible. An amazing talent and such a joy to work with. We did some engagement photos surfing in Pacifica, and Doug was up to his knees in the chilly Northern CA water getting some amazing shots! On our wedding weekend in Healdsburg, Doug was such a wonderful presence, capturing the intimate and personal moments while making us feel so comfortable. Many of our guests commented how they barely realized he was even there! Yet we loved having him as part of our wedding weekend. Kind, courteous, and heartfelt - we truly couldn't recommend anyone more highly.

Megan · Married on 05/09/2015

From the moment we contacted Doug, my husband and I fell in love with his warmth and easy-going nature. He was quick at responding to our request and we immediately set up a phone conversation because we were planning our wedding from a distance. The conversation was full of laughs and excitement. It was the perfect fit right from the beginning. Doug took the time to get to know us and understand our preferences for our wedding day. My husband and I are an easy going-couple, which worked well with Doug's approach. He is full of beautiful ideas, yet able to go with the flow.

The week before the wedding, we asked Dough to re-arrange the timing of the day and he was incredibly flexible and generous! We absolutely LOVED working with him and found ourselves just wanting to get some time to hang out with him throughout the day. His kindness and good energy really made our wedding day special.

We are in awe of our pictures. They are everything we hoped for and more! We highly, highly recommend Doug for your special event. He is the perfect addition to the day and captures the essence of the beautiful moments in his photographs.

Julie · Married on 02/27/2015

Doug was amazing! We had a small, immediate-family-only wedding a couple weeks ago in Big Sur, and we chose Doug as our photographer based on his portfolio. His images really seem to capture the emotion of the experience, and that takes talent. He put me at ease from the first conversation - this was a destination wedding for us, so handling everything remotely was a bit scary. But not with Doug; he's very calm and personable and seems genuinely interested in his photography subjects. We wanted pictures on both Pfeiffer Beach and in the redwoods, so he was very accommodating and even found the ideal redwood spot for our photos. He made us and our families feel comfortable in front of the camera (which can be hard!), and was very helpful and professional with the whole process. I couldn't be happier with our decision to choose Doug as our wedding photographer!

Cristal · Married on 10/08/2014

We had a small intimate wedding with just our parents and my little brother in Big Sur. We're from Miami and being all the way on the other side of the country, I was really worried about EVERYTHING. When I first spoke to Doug, those worries (at least about our photos) were put at ease. I felt like I was speaking to a friend who was just as interested and excited about shooting our wedding as we were. Whenever I had a question I'd email him and get a response right away. If you've ever been in Big Sur you know that cell phones are useless because it's almost impossible to get a signal and I was a bit worried that I couldn't speak to him the day of the ceremony but he was there on time. I can't express enough how incredibly happy I am with the way the photos came out. They are beyond what I expected. He is incredible at what he does and knows exactly how to get jaw dropping shots. If you plan to get married in the Big Sur/San Fransisco area I highly recommend him.

Katrina · Married on 07/29/2014

Doug photographed our intimate Big Sur ceremony and I couldn't be happier. Our photos are simply amazing and he managed to capture these little heart warming moments that I wasn't aware of. I can't even describe how special these images are to me. In the words of a friend, "Good lawd. These photos are out of control. I've never seen wedding photos that can even compare with these."

I actually chose Doug as a photographer over another I had been considering based on his responsiveness. It was a destination ceremony and we had never visited the area before. Doug was incredibly helpful responding to questions and giving advice via email. The day of - he made everyone feel comfortable and was very accommodating. Wonderful, from first contact to image delivery.

Nicole · Married on 06/21/2014

Doug was absolutely wonderful!! We really couldn't have asked for a better wedding photographer. The wedding day is such a stressful day, and Doug kept both my husband and I calm and relaxed (which is quite a task, haha). He made everything so easy and laid back, and kept our guests happy, engaged, and having fun. Doug's photography is spectacular, but his personality and positive energy is truly noteworthy. We feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to work with him and for him to be a part of our big day!

Erica · Married on 10/25/2013

Doug is the best!!! His calm and friendly demeanor helped everyone relax and enjoy the day, especially this camera-shy bride. He was able to be everywhere at once and never in the way. He listened to our wishes and had great suggestions. He so perfectly captured the joy of the day that I can hardly look at the photos without crying. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect photography experience on our big day. Thank you so much!

• U

Ulysses · Married on 10/16/2013

Doug is an amazing photographer. His skill and confidence will put any concerns at ease. Super cool guy as well! Thanks again!

Naomi · Married on 10/15/2013

Our experience with Doug was 100% positive. Doug photographed our intimate wedding on the coast in Carmel, CA. Since it was just our officiant, my husband, me, and Doug, it was especially important that we have a good rapport with our photographer, since he was also serving as the only witness! Doug was great to work with, very easy-going, and it was a pleasure to spend time with him. We were very happy with our shots and even when contacted very late in the process (over a year and a half after our wedding), Doug was quickly able to coordinate ordering an album and prints. We would recommend Doug without hesitation!

Beth · Married on 06/08/2013

Doug and Katherine were amazing...beyond amazing. They went so far beyond my expectations, it left us speechless. Somehow they managed to both calm our nerves during our big day AND take incredible photos. They had a way of being almost invisible during the ceremony and reception but somehow being able to capture the best photos. One of my guests even commented- "I don't remember even seeing your photographers" after complimenting how Doug managed to get a picture of me sharing a private laugh with my almost husband during the ceremony. I loved looking through all of the images- it let us relive every part of that great day. And my guests may have loved the images more b/c Doug and Katherine managed to capture my guest's fun/unique/sentimental moments within our special day- they all found pictures they will treasure. Doug and Katherine have such an amazing ability combined with their genuine personalities I felt I was inviting close friends to my wedding as well as the best photographers out there. Incredible people and incredible photos.

Kathy · Married on 06/08/2013

We have now used Doug and Katherine for two of my children's weddings. There are not enough words to express how happy my husband and I have been with their service and professionalism. I appreciate the fact that they recognize that the wedding is a ceremony and not a media frenzy. I have been to weddings where I cannot see the bride and groom because the photographer is standing in front of the congregation. I dont know how they manage to get such amazing pictures without disturbing the sanctity of the event. When my daughter got married in New York and had receptions in NY and Hawaii they were there for both. When and if my other three children get married - I will be sure that it cannot take place without Doug & Katherine!

Kennedy · Married on 05/18/2013

Doug was absolutely fantastic. He has a calm to his persona which seems to seep into his photographs- you can tell he is constantly seeking beauty, in whatever form. His photos reveal a kind of underlying truth and authenticity that cannot be replicated. My wife and I are very happy we decided to invest in his careful attention. He's also incredibly respectful and easy to work with. I feel like I made a friend in addition to hiring a wedding photographer.

katheryn · Married on 07/09/2012

My wedding day was perfect! Doug was able to capture all the wonderful moments on camera. My husband and I got married in Big Sur with just our parents as guests. Our wedding was meant to be on the beach but when we arrived, there was a terrible windstorm which we had been warned might happen. Doug helped my husband search for a spot that might shelter us from the wind while I hid in the car out of the grooms view. My husband suggested to the group that we head back to our cabin and hold the ceremony at the creek. Brilliant! Doug was extremely flexible and hopped back in his car following us 10minutes down the road to our secluded, peaceful little paradise in the woods. The photos he captured were amazing. It was definitely more than I expected. And the best part was how natural they all were. We weren't posed into the typical wedding pictures, but rather he followed our lead and took picture after picture of our beautiful memories. At the end of the day it was clear that we had chosen the right photographer. He had the same vision we did. Thank you Doug for catching all the magic on film!

Laura · Married on 03/31/2012

Doug and Katherine are the most wonderful people and photographers. We found them by chance while planning our elopement. We fell in love with his attention to detail and journalistic approach to photography while viewing his portfolio. Katherine volunteered to do my makeup and hair when I could not find anyone in Big Sur. They both drove out of their way to get photos of McWay falls when the rain kept us from having our ceremony there. We were honored to have them as our witnesses to our elopement and to have spent our big day hanging with us.