Heirloom Fire Reviews

25 | Richmond, MA

25 Reviews for Heirloom Fire

Sarah Skeist · Getting married on 12/08/2020

Unforgettable

Oh. My. God. If you are even on this page, just hire them. They're amazing. We are massive foodies, and catering was our first decision. You probably gathered this from the other reviews, but they cook everything over open fire, and all the ingredients are local, often foraged, homemade, and absolutely from scratch. They even make their own apparatus and are always experimenting with new beautiful equipment that looks like it came from a century ago, in the best of ways. No shortcuts here. They cook everything in bulk, which is why it doesn't taste like typical wedding food - the fish and duck was all cooked whole before being carved and served, the beef was cooked on the leg...Their technique is barbecue, but elevated to creative, farm to table haute cuisine. It never loses its rustic, "done the old way" feel, and it is delicious without being pretentious. Also, they are great to work with. We went for a tasting, and everything was delicious but they took the few notes we had in stride and really collaborated together. The presentation was stunning (he asked if we'd let him serve the oysters and clams over a "running stream," which he built himself), and in addition to the flavor, everyone loved watching them cook out in the open. Our wedding was in a private residence for 235 people, and they did a magnificent job. Best decision we made.

Sent on 12/12/2019
  • Eni

Eni Bica · Married on 08/18/2019

A dream come true

When I first started thinking the vision of the wedding, I knew I wanted open fire cooking so I started to search the internet. Then I came upon Heirloom Fire and was addicted. Needless to say, my wedding was planned around them. James and his team were a joy to work with from day 1. They were helpful in recommending venues and other vendors and making the whole process so easy start to finish. But let's talk about the food. My guests are still talking about it. "Best wedding food I've ever had" is what we hear from everyone. They kept going back for seconds. From setting up, to cooking, to serving, to mixing drinks, you can count on Heirloom Fire to exceed all expectations. I would do it all over again if I could and wouldn't change a thing.

Sent on 11/20/2019

Jonathan Wroble · Married on 05/26/2019

Amazing experience with Heirloom!

Heirloom Fire provided food, drink, and their typical understated flair for our wedding in May 2019. From the getgo, it was clear that there was no other choice than James and his excellent team to provide the high quality, deeply researched, and incredibly thoughtful experience that we and our guests would appreciate. (So much so that it seemed natural when the entire Heirloom crew received a round of applause when dinner first came out!)

I'll also note that Heirloom was working at a private site for the first time for our event, and yet everything was flawless and perfectly executed; this owes to James taking the time to conduct site visits, have discussions with us about menu, event flow, and exact ingredients, and coordinate directly with all other wedding collaborators so that things were seamless. Guests had amazing interactions with the Heirloom team, and immensely enjoyed the food.

If you're considering working with Heirloom, I recommend it 100%!

Sent on 06/05/2019

marc · Married on 08/11/2018

I honestly can’t give Heirloom Fire higher praise. They are the absolute best. My wife and I hired them to cater our wedding day and we couldn’t be happier with our decision. They were a huge hit with our guests. I lost count how many times we heard, “This food is amazing! This is some of the best food I’ve ever had.” We are still getting messages about it a month past our wedding. The food was matched only by its presentation. It was absolutely magical (another word we heard a lot from our guests). Heirloom Fire’s aesthetic is simply stunning, and they use no short cuts to create the perfect atmosphere. All of the above coupled with approachable and interactive chefs and servers made the whole experience memorable for everyone. Jim is a professional in every sense of the word. It was clear from the outset that food is his life’s passion. So much love and thought goes into every single detail to make sure your wedding is as special as it can be. Jim was thrown some curve balls on our big day with heavy rain and having to deal with two very difficult venue owners, but he took it all in stride and never let those issues effect what he was there to do.

In short, if you want a one of a kind, magical wedding day with a feast fit for a royal banquet, hire Heirloom Fire. You’ll also make a new best friend along the way. Jim, whisky next time you’re in the city!

Sent on 09/19/2018

Sonia · Married on 07/01/2018

Heirloom Fire was truly our dream come true and we never thought we could convince them to do their first ever Canadian wedding! It was the most unforgettable experience we (and our guests) ever had, especially since they built their kitchen and equipment entirely from scratch to make it extra special. Highly recommend!!

Sent on 09/05/2018

Rebecca · Married on 10/21/2017

It's hard to put into words how unbelievably talented and special the Heirloom Fire family is. And I certainly wish there was a way to give more than a five star review here, because working with Heirloom Fire was a 5+ star experience. We were lucky enough to have Jim and his team cater our October wedding and they truly made it into the most magical and memorable evening. Our guests from across the country have continued to rave about the most delicious food, the unique presentation and everything in between. It was no surprise to us that the Heirloom team exceeded our expectations. Working with Jim before our wedding to finalize our menu was a particularly special experience in itself. Jim's attention to detail and more importantly, unbelievable passion for food and the work he does is truly inspiring. We're just hoping to be invited as guests to another Heirloom Fire event soon!

Sent on 02/20/2018

Tamara · Married on 09/23/2017

Working with James and his team was by far my favorite part of my wedding! He is deeply passionate about food and it shows in the quality of local sustainable ingredients he uses, the colors and presentation, the attention to detail, the taste, and the incredible end result. The overall experience is interactive and sensual and the next day most of our guests realized they didn't take any photos with me and my husband but got plenty with the food! They were truly a pleasure to work with, both friendly and professional. Thank you Heirloom Fire for an incredible event.

Sent on 01/17/2018

Donna · Married on 08/26/2017

Jim and his Heirloom Fire team were simply the best! From beginning to end, with the fresh food prepared in front of you, to the pressing of the coffee beans to go with dessert, everything was expertly handled! I had guests coming up to me after the wedding saying that it was one of the best weddings that they had ever attended! I highly recommend Heirloom Fire for your catering needs. What a memorable experience Jim and his team created for my daughter and her special day!

Sent on 01/14/2018

Bill · Married on 08/19/2017

Based on all the reviews and recommendations we expected great things. But the food, the aesthetic, the set-up, the service, the treatment of our guests, the professionalism, and the clean-up all exceeded those high expectations. All through the night our guests kept telling us how perfect everything was and that they never experienced anything like it. The food blew everyone away and the "kitchen" enchanted everyone. We also got great compliments about how the staff was on top of everything -- always cheerful and helpful -- yet unobtrusive. Jim and Magdalena have a passion for excellence and it shows. It was all perfect!

Sent on 08/23/2017

Darlene · Married on 07/30/2017

We used Heirloom Fire for my daughters wedding and they were exceptional! The quality of the food, their method of preparing the food (over open iron wood stoves), the food presentation and the way in which they interacting with the guests is truly unique. Jim Gop, the owner, is a delight to work with and takes his craft very seriously. It shows in the end result. The food was delicious! Could not recommend him more highly!!

Sent on 08/07/2017

Tai · Married on 07/08/2017

I can't say enough good things about Heirloom Fire! James, Magdalena and the entire team were absolutely amazing! They not only make delicious food, they create an entire experience that is unique, special and completely unforgettable. They created such a beautiful backdrop to our reception and literally left our guests (and ourselves) in awe. The way they cook the food and set up their stations is spectacular and unlike anything you've ever seen before. They were also so professional, friendly and communicative. The weather did NOT cooperate with us on our wedding day, and I was so glad to have HF there - they knew exactly what to do when it started raining and jumped into action like complete old pros. I don't know what I would have done with a less experienced caterer. Everything about their operation is incredible and of the highest caliber. I can't recommend HF highly enough. Hiring them was the best decision we made!

Sent on 01/13/2018

Katie · Married on 06/24/2017

James, Magdalena and THE ENTIRE TEAM were consummate professionals. Not just fantastic at their job, but their passion & the joy they get from doing the work is evident in their positive disposition and quality of their output. I had multiple guests from my wedding comment that 1) "This is the best wedding food I've ever had!!" 2) "The caterers are all so pleasant! They're on top of their game, and with a smile on their faces!" and 3) The entire food set up is GORGEOUS." All of those comments, as the bride, were music to my ears AND I agree with whole-heartedly. Heirloom Fire was the best darn wedding caterer I could ever have imagined and they really helped craft our wedding day into the extremely special occasion it was, at the Basilica in Hudson, NY. Thank you, James and team!!

Sent on 07/11/2017

Adrianne · Married on 06/17/2017

I don't have enough words to describe what a wonderful experience we had with Heirloom Fire. Now that the wedding is over Jim feels more like a friend than a vendor we hired. Our venue was a gilded age mansion and Jim was able to take what his team does so well and "glam it up" so to speak to fit our venue. Everything from cocktail hour, to the dramatic entrance of dinner, to the craft cocktails and late night cuisine was absolutely perfect... I am seriously salivating thinking back on it. The experience was like nothing I've been a part of at any event and I think that's what made it so special. During the event almost every guest told us that this was by far the best food that they had ever had at a wedding and that the entire experience was something they would always remember. The only word for it is magical. The other thing that set Jim and his team apart was their dedication to giving me and my husband a day that was custom and special to us. I unfortunately have to deal with wheat and dairy allergies. I let Jim know about these allergies early on in the planning process with the focus being "don't ruin the food for the entire wedding because I have allergies". Jim never wavered and ensured that not only my guests had an amazing meal but that I was also taken care of. What this manifested itself into was almost an entirely gf/df spread that was absolutely spectacular. Jim made homemade gf bread, late night gf pizza, an entirely gf dinner menu, gf beignets, cast iron skillets of gf cobbler with a special dairy free glaze, gf graham crackers for s'mores... seriously the list goes on and on, I'm just touching on a few. The point I'm trying to make is that Jim is more than a caterer. He cares so deeply about giving his clients the most special day ever and that is so evident in his food and the detail that he puts on every element of the event. Hiring Jim was the best decision we could have made. Thank you for everything Jim & HF team! xo Adrianne and Chris

Sent on 07/05/2017

Mark · Married on 06/03/2017

Aside from marrying my own wife, choosing Heirloom Fire to cater our wedding was the best decision I've ever made. The unique food, experience, and service... it all truly made our day so special. The menu was inventive and transcended anything you could imagine being served for a large group - and every single guest was blown away by how delicious it all tasted... our foodie friends and family are still talking about it weeks later. Heirloom Fire's work and aesthetic is like a performance, and it added a really cool "experiential" element to the event. Jim and his team clearly have a passion for what they do and it shows in the output and their professionalism. They were extremely responsive and accommodating throughout the process (which including a very extravagant tasting), and we didn't have to worry about a thing on the day of. I would recommend Heirloom Fire for ANY event - weddings, parties, my own funeral, etc.

Sent on 06/17/2017

Ellen · Married on 05/27/2017

Do you want great tasting food made with love & attention along with an amazing presentation with a team that is easy to communicate with, very professional and organized? Then you are looking for one of New England's best kept secrets! I have worked with the Heirloom Fire group a couple times and I will book them from here on out for our yearly event!

Sent on 06/04/2017

Rebecca · Married on 08/20/2016

Jim and his team are so amazing. My guests were blown away by the food and service. The chickens!!!! I mean seriously, the chickens are the best chickens I've ever had. And the carrots! Don't even get me started on the carrots. I'm a pastry chef in New York, and my guests came expecting something great and Heirloom fire just blew everyone away. I mean, I've had Jim's food, so I knew what to expect, but he even exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. I can't tell you how many guests have asked me to get them recipes. My only regret from my wedding is that my husband and I didn't get to have a solo hour with the charcuterie station before the guests arrived. Or a beer with Jim after it was all said and done. He is so clearly loving his work and having fun with his team. There is so much passion and love in the food. What's more he makes planning painless. He is so responsive and organized. Every step of the way was great. I can't recommend Heirloom Fire highly enough. They really know how to throw a party.

Sent on 09/04/2016

Amy · Married on 06/25/2016

Jim and his team are true artists, from the food to the decor every element was thoughtfully executed. We couldn't be more pleased with our experience! Our guests were thrilled and enamored with the open kitchen and the staff was courteous and service amazing! I highly recommend them!

Sent on 07/28/2016

Lucy · Married on 06/18/2016

We wanted something different for our wedding and Heirloom Fire is that and more. I am so happy I found Jim and his team and I know it is something we and our guests will be talking about for a long time to come. Not only is Jim completely passionate about what he does, he is down to earth, flexible, so easy to work with, and the food is beyond words. It also looks breathtaking. I could not have been happier.

Sent on 06/28/2016

Patrick · Married on 06/18/2016

Not sure I can really put into words how amazing the experience was to work with Jim and Magdalena. I say ‘work with’ but that puts my involvement with them on an equitable footing…which it was clearly not. They took our idea of a wedding involving nearly 200 guests and turned it into a wonderful intimate affair far exceeding anything we could possibly have imagined.
    Looking for catering/event coordination? Then stop right here…Heirloom Fire and Magdalena Events…cross everyone else off your list and you will not go wrong.
    Would not hesitate to recommend … and in fact am looking for an excuse to do a similar event again. Obviously can’t use the excuse of a wedding (The wife would kill me!!) but trust me I will find a way…Maybe Summer 2017 … a 1st Wedding anniversary.
    Many thanks to you and all who put some much effort in.

Sent on 07/06/2016

Linda · Married on 10/02/2015

Heirloom Fire lived up to all my expectations!! They were very professional, set up the event beautifully, and the food was delicious!! And, I felt the price was very reasonable!! I would highly recommend them to anyone!!

Sent on 10/07/2015

Jim Gop and his delightful team were a pleasure to work with. The high level of impeccable customer service and attention to detail is unmatched by others in the industry. Magdalena Events and Heirloom Fire worked seamlessly together to make our wedding nothing short of spectacular.

Their unique presentation and cooking style enamored all of our guests. The high quality seasonal, local, and organic ingredients they chose, combined with their culinary expertise, wowed even the most particular and sophisticated New York City foodies.

The day of our wedding, the vibe their whole team emanated was positive and bright. They went above and beyond with every detail, which allowed us to simply relax and enjoy the day. Heirloom Fire provided an amazing experience in every way, shape, and form, and I recommend them with flying colors!

Sent on 10/07/2015

Ciara · Married on 07/18/2015

I cannot say enough positive things about Heriloom Fire. We hired them to cater an outdoor birthday party celebrating my mother's 85th birthday and my daughter's 3rd. The food is unbelievably good--for weeks to follow our guests were raving about the food. Perhaps just as importantly, Jim and his team are lovely. They were receptive to our ideas and prompt with feedback. One gets the sense they enjoy what they do. The party vibe was casual and intimate. I think everyone left the party feeling as though they were part of a special experience. Remarkable group.

Sent on 09/30/2015

Christin · Married on 09/15/2018

We used Heirloom Fire for our mid September wedding caterer and they went above and beyond our expectations! My husband and I love food so we wanted something more unique than typical wedding food and Heirloom Fire definitely delivered. As the guests arrived at our venue, they were in awe of Heirloom Fire's set up. James welcomed the guests to take pictures, ask questions and take in the whole experience. Not only was the experience amazing, but the food was absolutely delicious! The guests kept coming up to me saying it was the best wedding food they had ever had.

James was an absolute joy to work with - from our first phone call, to our tasting, to the wedding day - he was professional, kind and easy going. You can tell the whole Heirloom Fire team really has a passion for cooking and entertaining. Would highly recommend their services to anyone!

Sent on 10/01/2018

Eleni · Married on 08/25/2018

Food is very important to us so when we started planning our wedding, we decided on our caterer first. We stumbled across the Heirloom Fire website and from the very start we were enamored with the beauty and creativity of HF's style of cooking. We had a hiccup with the first venue we chose and when they said we could not use HF as our caterer, we decided to ditch the venue and keep the caterer. Best decision we ever made! Jim is an artist in what he has created with his company. He is very charismatic and personable. We had multiple requests for our menu and he was not only able to oblige he was excited to work with us on created the most personalized menu possible. My husband Angelo loves bananas and requested a banana dessert. Jim made the most magnificent cast iron bananas foster you can imagine that our guests are still raving about. We fortunately had a beautiful sunny day for our wedding so everyone could enjoy interacting with Jim and his team. Their set up was absolutely mesmerizing. The food itself was top notch. There are so many small details that HF helped with but they are too many to recount. Suffice it to say, we are so incredibly pleased that we picked them as our caterer. Jim even left us a loaf of HF olive bread and HF coffee beans in our bridal suite - the most thoughtful person touch. Thanks for everything, Eleni and Angelo.

Sent on 10/01/2018

Courtney · Married on 09/30/2017

1.2
      1.0
      0.5

I wish I could give Jim and his team a better review as the work they do is beautiful and was great entertainment for our guests however the lack of professionalism regarding our wedding made the few days following a disaster. To start, Magdelena contacted us 2 days prior to our wedding date demanding we hire 3 additional bartenders (we hired 4 already) because she felt "it would be impossible to give good service and would reflect poorly on Heirloom Fire - we simply cannot afford this and sacrifice our reputation". At noon, the day OF our wedding, it came to our wedding planner's attention they showed up without any servers (we paid for 8), and last minute they placed an add on craigslist for additional help (a gentleman drove 1.5 hours to help with service - not vetted of course). After several email exchanges we settled on a reimbursement, and left it as that. It then came to our attention that he reached out to our photographer and got copies of our wedding album to use for his own self promotion without speaking to us first! We literally paid for his promotional items as this is our personal wedding album! I am typically someone who feels strongly about helping business grow and doing anything I can to promote good work, but Jim will go to any length to grow his business and doesn't care who he steps over to do so. Ironic when you get an email that their reputation is so important to them. It truly is unfortunate - since their work is beautiful.

Sent on 01/11/2018