Harold Pratt House Reviews

24 | New York, NY

24 Reviews for Harold Pratt House

Vivian · Married on 09/22/2018

Gorgeous historical multi-room mansion

The Harold Pratt House is a gorgeous historical multi-room mansion on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. It has old world New York charm and beautifully decorated rooms. Not only is the venue fairly priced, it also comes with a fair bit of furniture so you don't have to spend extra to rent chairs for the reception and ceremony if you choose to have both on the premise. They also provide uplighting and AV services as add-ons. My husband and I worked with April Sherwin, who was always super responsive and helpful. All our guests were exclaiming what a wonderful and beautiful space HPH was and photographed beautifully!

Sent on 10/23/2018

Stefanie · Married on 08/11/2018

Our wedding was at the Harold Pratt House, and we couldn’t have imagined a better location! We didn’t want a ballroom, and we wanted to have a more intimate wedding. The Harold Pratt House was the perfect location. We loved that we got to use multiple rooms in a historic mansion. Our guests commented on how beautiful and sophisticated every room is. Our day-of-coordinator April was excellent as well. She went above and beyond before and during the wedding to ensure that our event was perfect. I sent her dozens of emails and she always responded within 24 hours or less. She also provided great advice, and was invaluable during our planning process. We highly recommend the Harold Pratt House and the coordinating services they offer!

Sent on 08/28/2018

Swathi · Married on 05/20/2017

We wanted a historic venue to be the setting of our nuptials, and after seeing a number of other venues, we knew that this was it. We truly fell in love with the space when we walked into the library on the second floor. The staff (especially April Sherwin) was amazing - very responsive and accommodating, and always willing to help. This was especially important wince we were planning all-day, multi-cultural wedding with two ceremonies and meals! This space was perfect for our wedding of just around 100 guests. If you're looking for old New York history and glam, in a quieter neighborhood, and a venue that needs minimal added decor, this is it!

Sent on 05/25/2017

Brit · Married on 10/01/2016

From the moment I saw a wedding on a blog at the Harold Pratt House, I knew it was the venue for us. It was even more breathtaking in person when we went to see it. It was the first wedding venue we saw and I knew we didn't need to see any others. My husband and I knew we didn't want your typical ballroom wedding and wanted something more unique. The Pratt House was absolutely perfect - it is stunning and is incredibly well kept. They have a great selection of furniture that you can choose from to customize the feel you want for your reception. First Beth and then April were absolutely wonderful to work with. I did not have a wedding planner and I probably contacted April with questions once or twice a week for the two months leading up to the wedding. She was incredibly responsible, helpful, and so lovely to work with. I had never seen the space at night, but when we walked in on the evening of the wedding, my husband and I were absolutely blown away by how gorgeous it was. The day of went by flawlessly. We had 90 guests and felt that the space was just right for that number. We had cocktails in the library, dinner in the ballroom, and then used the three adjoining rooms downstairs for dessert and dancing. We cannot recommend the Pratt House enough!!

Sent on 10/22/2016
  • Janet

Janet · Married on 05/14/2016

I knew from the moment I first came across the Pratt House that this was it. I didn't want the standard wedding hall type venue, and the Pratt House is just so unique and has such a personality that it sets apart from every other place. It's beautiful even on its own and has a wonderful old world romantic feel to it and I am so glad that we were able to have our wedding here!

April was super helpful from the first time I contacted her (more than a year our from our date!) and both she and Christina were awesome throughout the whole process, very responsive and communicative and super organized. The fee is also very reasonable, especially for being inside Manhattan! Although the Pratt House does have its quirks and rules due to its being a historical building, if you find vendors that have experience working with it as I did, then the process is a breeze! I cannot recommend enough our vendors, Ryan Brown Catering, CLY Chung Photography, DJ 74 events and Events by O9 coordination - they know the venue inside and out.

April and Christina and their team are the best, thank you so much for making my dream wedding day a reality!!

Sent on 08/05/2016

Brian · Married on 03/26/2016

My partner & I just got married at The Harold Pratt House on March 26th, Saturday, and it was so PERFECT & BEAUTIFUL. We had our ceremony in the Altschul Rm, cocktails in the upstairs library, dinner in the Rockefeller Dining Rm, back downstairs for the cake cutting in the Hauser Sitting Rm, lounge in the Greenberg Rm, and DJ/Dancing back in the Altschul Rm. Everyone loved the grandeur of this magnificent Art Deco home! We had a decadent Gatsbyesque vibe with colors of gold candelabras, vases, picture frames, and white flowers throughout the 2 floor mansion. Our 80 guests said it was the wedding of the century!

I can't recommend this place enough and I'd have to give big props to April Sherwin who was our event manager from the venue. She was PERFECT from start to finish! She was VERY quick with email responses, details on what works best, super organized, professional & well put together. One of my vendors even commented during a walk through on how she was the most on the ball event mgr he'd ever dealt with. Anyone would be lucky to have her work with them! I can't thank her enough for making my dream wedding come true!

If you are looking for the PERFECT venue, this place is it!

Sent on 04/05/2016

This venue allows you to have an incredibly classy wedding for a fraction of the cost. Our guests were blown away by every aspect of the venue. April was a professional to work with, and helped our dream wedding come true. You get so much space for the amount you pay, so make sure you take advantage of it. We divided the dining rooms between the two second floor rooms, and then visited with each table as our guests ate. That allowed my new husband and I to grab a bite to eat with each other in the green room, and spend some time just with each other during the craziness of that day. You can bring in your own vendors, as long as they're cleared by Pratt beforehand.

Sent on 06/13/2016

Alexander · Married on 06/06/2015

We had our wedding at The Pratt House on June 6, 2015 and could not recommend it more. It has such an old world New York feel and we hosted approximately 100 people there for both our ceremony and reception. Everyone we interacted with was fantastic and we had such a lovely time moving from room to room with our guests for the ceremony, cocktails and dancing. Every time we entered the space we liked it more and we could not have chosen a more regal setting to get married in New York. Very good value for what we paid. We wholeheartedly recommend.

Sent on 07/09/2015

The Harold Pratt House was the perfect venue for our small, winter wedding. It is gorgeously decorated - reminded me of Downton Abbey! We had our ceremony in the beautiful room downstairs, and then cocktail hour in the library, followed by dinner and dancing in the ballroom. We had a small wedding (70 people) and felt this venue was the perfect size for our party! We decided to add on the planning services - April and Madison were amazing. The whole day went very smoothly and we did not need to do anything. They took care of all the coordination with the vendor leading up to the day and on the day itself. All my guests couldn't stop commenting how smoothly the night went and how unique and gorgeous the venue was.

Sent on 01/27/2015

AJG · Married on 06/29/2013

There is little to say except it Pratt House is an ideal venue wedding. Having the two floors, with the ceremony in the front parlor, the reception upstairs in the library, dinner across the hall in the ballroom and downstairs again for dancing, a separate parlor for cake cutting and coffee and a bar. The building offers a quietly elegant environment for this very special and emotional event.

Many guests had not experienced such a wedding - moving different parts of the event engaged the guests allowed them to meet more of the guests. The event planners at the Pratt House are thoroughly professional.
    The one planner we hired for the day to manage the details during the wedding brilliantly gauging the mood of the guests throughout.

The rooms available for the wedding party to dress - provided a calming sanctuary to prepare.

Sent on 07/16/2013

Hannah · Married on 03/26/2011

We recently celebrated our wedding at The Harold Pratt House. We chose the venue due to his beauty and intimacy. The space is stunning and very well maintained. We worked with Beth and Madison and they were very responsive, professional and a pleasure to work with. We love the space and our guests have all commented on how they enjoyed being in such an exquisite venue. We would highly recommend celebrating your wedding or any other event at The Harold Pratt House.

Sent on 03/30/2011

It really is a beautiful venue and working with Madison made everything go so smoothly. Do note that any cleanup must be done by your outside vendors.

Sent on 10/09/2014

Amy · Married on 09/01/2012

Amazing very unique venue. Great people and extremely supportive. We had an horrible issue with one of our vendors being very disrespectful to the Pratt staff and they purposely never brought it to our attention so that we weren't bothered with it. The back of the house and caterer were so well run that the entire evening ran seamlessly. Of the 15 vendors we used there were only three we would recommend.... Pratt, Laura Remmert (Floral and Day of Coordinator) and MPW Media (photog and video).

Sent on 08/19/2013

Caleb & Trina L · Married on 10/20/2017

An amazing venue with an amazing wedding coordinator!

We had our wedding at Harold Pratt House in Oct 2017 and it was absolutely perfect. We had the ceremony, reception and our family/bridal party photo shoot all on-site. The venue is stunning and the flow for the evening was exactly what we had hoped for - the entire night felt like a 1920s Manhattan dinner party complete with drinks in the library, dinner in the ballroom and dancing the night away.

And when it comes to wedding coordination, April is one of the best. We were so lucky to have worked with her both as our venue point-of-contact and as our day-of wedding coordinator. She was an absolute pleasure to work with in the planning stages - responsive, knowledgeable, organized and friendly. And when it came time for the day of, she remained poised and on schedule, taking the reins of our well planned day and executing it flawlessly. Additionally, she worked amazingly well with all of our other partners, especially our caterer and DJ, and she made everyone feel like one team, including the bridal party and our family. We can’t compliment April enough - she was a huge part of making our day perfect and we highly recommend you work with her if given the chance!!!

- Caleb & Trina

Sent on 02/11/2019

Sarah · Married on 04/08/2017

The Harold Pratt House was a beautiful, unique elegant place for our wedding! All staff, especially April were attentive and professional, and met all of our requests with ease.

Sent on 04/30/2017

We loved this space for our recent wedding. This was certainly on the more expensive side (considering once you bring in all the outside vendors), but it is a phenomenal space. April was my contact from the first email I sent, and she was always extremely responsive and professional to deal with.
    After my mom toured the three venues, we knew we didn't want a traditional large wedding hall/hotel site. The Pratt House had so much class and character and was located in a beautiful location on the Upper East Side (also ended up being great for outside of Pratt House wedding photos). The nice thing about the venue (especially for us coming from the West Coast), is that we didn't need to plan a lot of other decorations other than flowers, as Pratt House is already beautiful in its own right. With Pratt House, it's a progressive venue - so ceremony is in one room, cocktails flow out of that room, dinner is served upstairs in the ballroom and we used the library adjacent to the ballroom for our buffet. Dessert and dancing were back in the downstairs rooms. The staircase is gorgeous, but there are also functioning elevators if need be. I would say, Pratt House says you can have a max of 130 guests - we had 112 and it felt very tight. I can't imagine how they would have fit 130.
    When you book at the Pratt House, they give you a file with a list of recommended vendors who know their space. While these vendors are not all the cheapest in the city, it's nice to go with them, as they know the space and what they are and aren't allowed to do in it. They also understand the "upstairs/downstairs" dynamic the event has. I'd highly recommend using their vendors.

Overall, I'd definitely use the space again. It's in the heart of Manhattan and few places I've been to have more charm and elegance.

Sent on 04/07/2016

Lee · Married on 07/11/2015

We hosted our daughter's wedding with 145 guests on April 9, 2016 at the Harold Pratt House. The ceremony was held in the ballroom, cocktails downstairs in the drawing room, dinner in Peterson Hall and then dancing and dessert back in the ballroom and the library. It was perfect. While there appeared to be many "rules" to use the facility, April was very helpful navigating the "requirements" and our very professional vendors had no problem providing the necessary credentials. We used one of the Preferred Caterers who has navigated many times this unique venue and therefore recognized the challenges and opportunities, helping us to make good decisions along the way. While all weddings are "special" this unique venue made it memorable for all in attendance. The weather was not cooperative and knowing that the venue was so special and different assured us that the pictures would be beautiful even without outside shots.

Sent on 04/21/2016

Meridith · Married on 06/09/2018

We had the best time at the Harold Pratt House for our wedding in June. April was a dream to work with -- incredibly responsive and kind from day one. We didn't interact with many others, but the coordination team we hired and all of our vendors seemed to slip seamlessly into the Pratt House operations. The spaces are so well maintained, incredibly beautiful, and were the perfect setting for our wedding. There truly isn't a better place for a classic New York city affair with old world elegance and architectural drama. We loved the progressive style of the party -- moving from room to room as the night progressed. It was really special and made for a different sort of wedding, while allowing the flexibility to have traditional elements alongside the not-so-traditional. We are so grateful to April and her team for their help in creating a magical celebration for us. Would recommend this venue wholeheartedly.

Sent on 09/10/2018

Alexandra · Married on 02/18/2017

This venue is absolutely stunning, and April on their staff is one of the most responsive and helpful people we worked with throughout our entire wedding planning process. She offered advice about all aspects of the event, responded often within the hour to our questions, and led multiple walk throughs, and a rehearsal for us. I can't imagine the whole experience without her.

The space is incredible, you will have different rooms for each part of the event to break everything up, and it's in a dream location. The only thing I would warn about is that there are some hidden costs-adding an extra hour to your event, (which you might need since you are only allowed in the building at 3pm the day of), lighting, a security fee etc...so while it is worth it, the price is more than it seems up front.

We are really glad we had our wedding here overall, and our guests all commented about the beauty and splendor of the space.

Sent on 03/13/2017

Renee · Married on 11/12/2011

The venue is absolutely gorgeous for a formal or traditional wedding, and coordinators Madison & Beth are both incredibly helpful. It's perfect for European-style receptions, where your guests move through the house (cocktails in the library, dancing in the ballroom, etc).

The reason for the 4 stars for value and flexibility was because the venue fee "includes" things that you really can't use unless you pay extra - like the AV, which you and your band/DJ can't use unless you also hire their AV guy ($150/hr, 3 hr min), and then it's only capable of taking CDs anyway. You will also likely wind up renting additional chairs and possibly tables.

All that said, I loved getting married there. :)

Sent on 12/16/2011

Stacy · Married on 01/08/2011

3.0

We have received countless compliments on our ceremony/reception venue selection. The Harold Pratt House provides a charm and coziness that we were unable to find in other venues which created the intimacy we had wanted for our special event. We worked with Ashley Tupper and we were impressed with her responsiveness and flexibility. She was always willing to figure out a way to make something happen. The one down side to using this space is the cost of bringing in everything--catering, rentals, etc. Luckily, the Pratt House provides tables and chairs, but there are many hidden costs that you may not consider initially when you receive initial fee. Simply something to consider! We would not have changed our venue, even after knowing what the costs would be!

Sent on 01/25/2011

Lindsey · Married on 06/25/2016

3.0

The Harold Pratt House was a beautiful venue for our wedding ceremony and reception. I chose the site because of their library. I love books and wanted to have a library involved in our wedding, and HPH allowed us to do that.

We had our ceremony in the white Altschul Room downstairs, which capped our guest list at 120. Then it was cocktails upstairs in the library, dinner in the Rockefeller Room, and dancing downstairs again. I liked moving from space to space, and this wasn't too hard on even the elderly guests. I hadn't wanted to use the large Peterson Hall because it takes a lot of set dressing to make it look less like a conference room, so I'm glad I went with the more traditional rooms.

HPH definitely had the most rules of any of our vendors, but overall they were pleasant to work with. We didn't have any issues getting any of our vendors approved. The setting looked wonderful and provided a great canvas for our florist, caterer, and photographer to work with.

Sent on 07/30/2016

Rachel · Married on 07/19/2014

3.5
      3.5

Our wedding felt like a dream come true with Harold Pratt House as the backdrop for our celebration. It's literally stunning and provides a wow-factor for your guests and the lasting memories captured in photographs. As soon as we visited we knew we HAD to have our wedding here. It was spectacular. You barely need any decor because it's already such a beautiful mansion like setting. We had our ceremony in the drawing room, cocktails in the library, dinner in the ballroom then dancing and dessert downstairs in all three ground floor rooms. I don't think I can ever attend a ballroom wedding again and view it the same. It is a little pricey but SOOOOO worth it. And, you do need to carefully read what you can/can't do and ensure you work with vendors who pay attention to details -- but again, SOOOOO worth it. It's a historic venue with terrific & responsive staff -- we are so thankful we got to spend the best day of our lives at Harold Pratt House.

Sent on 07/26/2014

4.2
      3.0

Gorgeous, old school style NY venue. I knew before I was engaged I wanted to have my wedding reception at the Pratt House. If you dont want a cookie cutter loft space or hotel ballroom, this is the right venue for you. We had cocktails on the first floor, dinner in the ballroom and then back down stairs for dessert and dancing. You barely need any decor since the space is so beautiful.

Sent on 12/29/2014