Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Reviews

13 | Gaithersburg, MD

13 Reviews for Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center

• TheFutureMrsWalker

Sharon · Married on 08/04/2017

We held our ceremony and reception here on 8/4/17. Everything was perfect from our check in experience through our event. The staff was on point and very professional. The planning was easy, the food was delicious and everyone enjoyed themselves. One of the best things we did was use the Gaithersburg Washingtonian Marriott.

Sent on 08/12/2017

Valerie · Married on 10/29/2016

I had my wedding at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center and had an amazing experience. Amy our sales representative took so much time with us to go over the contract and make sure we understood every line. She was not like the typical pushy salesperson who tries to get you to choose the most expensive option. She went over all the options and gave us tips about getting the best value. She also gave us some time to think it over. Most places I looked at demanded you sign right then and there. Amy was the reason we choose Marriott ! She really makes you feel special and responds to all your questions in a timely manner.

Once we signed the contract, we were assigned a wedding coordinator/ Trisha was awesome! She was always available and offered the best advice. She made sure my vision became a reality. Liz was a great day of coordinator. She handled EVERYTHING so i could just focus on getting ready. We saved thousands of dollars by not hiring a wedding planner.

The day of was perfect, everything was perfect. we are still receiving compliments about the wedding and reception, Marriott does everything for you so you can just enjoy! I always thought I wanted something different than a hotel, but I saved so much time and money not worrying about hiring multiple vendors for food, chairs etc. Everything is there! and you can customize to have a high end fancy prime rib, or you can do like we did and have a classic chicken parm / lasagna (huge hit everyone loved).

Sent on 12/28/2016

Ligia · Married on 09/05/2016

Wow! We had such an amazing experience with Marriott! Trisha was absolutely wonderful, assisting us ever step of the way. During the wedding she
    made sure everything went smoothly and stress free. The staff made sure we(bride and groom) ate before going to the reception! Everyone was so thoughtful and amiable

Sent on 09/27/2016

My wedding coordinator was fabulous! Any questions I had she had answers. Beautiful venue for a wedding. The coordinator made sure every moment was right and special. I didn't stress once.

Sent on 12/19/2014

Linda Jo · Married on 08/02/2014

The event manager Barbara and Megan, were awesome!!! From the first meeting to the day of the event we were treated like royalty! The suggestion in planning this special day made the event flawless. The staff from hotel registration, dining room, bar, wedding staff were GREAT!
    We were so blessed to have chosen this location where all guests had a great weekend.

Sent on 08/05/2014

Kellie · Married on 01/18/2014

I worked with Allie Kauffman on my wedding reception in the new lakefront ballroom recently. It was so beautiful and effortless!

My guests commented on how helpful and nice everyone from the hotel was from check in to the bartenders at the event and in the main bar to the staff working the food. Everyone was so accommodating and eager to please.

Overall it is a beautiful space with great food and helpful and friendly staff!

Sent on 01/28/2014

Katie · Married on 05/26/2012

I had the pleasure to work with Wincy for my wedding. She was wonderful! She helped accommodate the needs of our guests, as well as all the last minute changes we made (decreasing our group from 150 to 80).

Most of our guests stayed at the hotel and enjoyed the time there. We had a few minor problems in terms of our rooms, but the front desk worked hard to fix the problems!

Sent on 05/28/2012

Janet · Married on 10/03/2010

Everyone at the Marriott went out of their way to make our day extra special. Our event manager, Mario, was very knowledgeable and responsive to all our needs. They were able to bring in an Indian chef from Baltimore who did an excellent job with the food. Our friends and family were very impressed with the quality.

Sent on 10/10/2010
  • jme712

Jamie · Married on 04/10/2010

We used the washingtonian marriott as the hotel for our out of town guests. We also used the marriott to accommodate the shuttle service to Milton Ridge. Nicole at the marriott was extremely helpful in making sure that they were able to work on our schedule and accommodate our guests. After the party, our group had blast telling stories about us on the way back to the hotel over the mic on the shuttle.

Sent on 06/02/2010

Shagun · Married on 02/23/2019

3.6
      2.0

Good points and bad points

Just had my wedding reception here. Overall, it was alright with no major hiccups, my guests had a good time, and I haven't heard any complaints about the rooms. The ballroom is nice, and after some back-and-forth, the hotel was able to accommodate my decorator's set-up and clean-up times. Lighting and sound we ended up managing by ourselves, but it worked out alright. The coordinator was nice to work with, and they were mostly flexible to our needs.

We had one of the suite rooms on the top floor, which was spacious enough for me and a few others to get ready. I found someone's glasses stuck in the couch the night we got in, which makes me question the thoroughness of the cleaning (reported this to the front desk, they didn't care). If you want to comp rooms for your some of your guests, you have to tell the event management staff before check-in, because the front desk can't put those rooms on the master account. No one told me this in advance, which led to some confusion with the rooms for my in-laws.

I did not want to have an open bar at the reception; there were a handful of guests there who act awfully after a few drinks and I've got some pretty bad memories regarding that. Anyone who really wanted a drink could have had one at the hotel bar right next to the ballroom. But my father went behind my back and asked the coordinator not to tell me they would be adding an open bar to cocktail hour. Since he was paying the hotel expenses, the hotel complied and agreed to keep this from me. For anyone judging me for complaining at this point, I'm more than capable of paying, but my father insisted (it's also a cultural thing).
    I still found it really unprofessional that the hotel would keep this from me, even some minor warning would have been appreciated. The final document I got detailing the menu plans, schedule, etc. didn't have any mention of the bar. Even though I wasn't paying, I am the bride, and for every other tiny detail/arrangement, they were contacting ONLY me and asking for my approval. If only the opinion of the person paying matters, why bother talking to me about anything? I was so shocked walking into cocktail hour, that I had to retreat to the lobby in tears. Encouraged by friends who work in event planning (who were also appalled), I wrote an email to the head of the hotel's events department, but it's been more than a week without a reply, so here I am with this review.

I don't think I would personally want to work with them again, but that drama aside it was fine as a venue. Just keep in mind that they will always choose the more profitable route, not what's best for you.

Sent on 03/10/2019

1.8
      2.0
      1.0
      1.0
      3.0
      2.5

We had our wedding at this hotel, and I think it's the only wedding decision we regret. They switched us from event planner to event planner, were unresponsive to emails, and misled us about what was included in our package. Additionally, after being told we were the only event for the day and our event manager would be focused solely on us, we found out she was in charge of another wedding up until an hour before ours! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relatively stress-free event. The majority of my planning stress came from their poor professionalism and lack of communication.

Sent on 08/26/2014

0.4
      0.5

Not the best service I had. Wanted to change but was not able to.

Sent on 03/16/2015
  • Eric

Eric · Married on 09/17/2011

0.2
      0.5

Our experience with Marriott was horrible. We went through at least 3 salespeople (the first one was either fired or reassigned) responsiveness was probably the worst part of the whole experience. But in the end, they hadn't even properly assigned our guests to our blocked rooms and were unwilling to give the room discount to our guests.

My parents got a suite and the minute we walked in the room it smelled like mildew. We had to ask for another room, especially since my parents were babysitting my 9 month old nephew. After checking 2 more rooms out we finally found one that wasn't smelly.

I did not complain throughout the whole process but in the end asked for some sort of compensation (discount on a room sometime, anything) and have never heard back. We even tried to level with the front desk people and a manager in person, and still nothing.

Times are tough apparently... even for Marriott.... you might as well spend half the money and stay at a Motel 6. You'll probably get better service.

Sent on 11/21/2011