Five Grain Events Reviews

Five Grain Events 1
Five Grain Events 2

Barbara · Married on 06/15/2019

Worth the Money

Five Grain Events was highly recommended by three friends who were very glad they had worked with Five Grain. After our initial meeting with Joan, the owner, and our contract with Five Grain Events we had access via email for any wedding related questions. We were matched and met with Jennifer, our wedding planner, about 2 months before our date. She was our point person with the vendors, families and bridal party, and asked questions, as mother of the bride, I hadn’t even thought to ask and so much more. To her credit I don’t think any “zillas” (mom, bride, or any other combinations) appeared.
    Thanks to her the wedding was amazing and full of so many happy moments!

Sent on 06/29/2019

Maureen · Married on 04/06/2019

Cannot recommend them enough

Five Grain Events provided us with an amazing wedding planning experience! Leading up to the wedding our wedding coordinator, Kelly, helped keep us on track and ensure we were meeting all our deadlines for the big day. On the day of, Kelly and her team set up all of our decorations (as we did not use a florist) and laid out a very clear timeline for our wedding party and all the vendors. Kelly was with us each step of the way and we never had to question or worry during our big day. Not only were Kelly and he team members organized, professional, and experienced, but they were amazing people which made working with them very easy. We cannot thank Kelly and Five Grain Events team enough for everything they did. There's not a doubt in our minds: hiring Five Grain as our wedding coordinator was the best decision we made for our wedding! We highly recommend Five Grain!

Sent on 05/19/2019

Erin Patzer · Married on 01/19/2019

Five Grain - Incredible Experience

I can say with confidence that the team at Five Grain was the best decision we made during our wedding process. From the initial consult to every single detail during the wedding day, the team was just soo amazing to work with. Kelly was the most organized person I've ever met and thought of 50+ things that I would have never thought about that helped the entire wedding weekend go smoothly! I was SO IMPRESSED with all of our meetings and the quick follow-up at all times of the day/night. During the day of, my mom, my fiance, and I were able to fully 100% enjoy every moment because we knew the team at Five Grain had everything handled. I can't imagine my wedding day without Kelly there and am soo appreciative of all the work they did to make it PERFECT!

Sent on 02/21/2019
    Five Grain Events 3
    Five Grain Events 4

Caroline & Mike · Married on 10/12/2018

Highly Recommend!

We could not have been happier with 5 Grain Events! To be totally honest, my now-husband and I weren’t sure if we wanted to spend the money on a planner since we’re both very organized and were trying to be strategic about costs. We eventually decided that a coordinator would be a good idea since we were planning from out-of-state. Looking back after the wedding, we can say that 5 Grain was absolutely worth every penny...and then some! Joan, the owner, is extremely knowledgeable and was so responsive as we were deciding which company to hire. A big difference for us is that 5 Grain’s “day-of coordinator” actually starts working with you about two months in advance. Joan paired us with Christina as our main coordinator, and she was the perfect fit. While we are organized generally, we’ve never planned a wedding; we’d never have thought of half the questions Christina covered. She went above and beyond during planning, even borrowing someone else’s phone for wifi while she was out of the country on vacation...she was always responding within a few hours even when we assured her there was no rush. She had such a great demeanor and really understood our goals for the day, too. The other vendors noticed as well: the hair and makeup artists commented that she was the calmest planner they’d ever worked with, and our DJ noted how detailed and organized the vendor timeline was. In the end, going with 5 Grain saved us money, because we didn’t need to fly home for other vendor meetings. More important, it saved us a ton of stress during the planning process and the day of - and you can't put a dollar amount on the answer to every question from our parents, other guests, wedding party, or even each other being, “Let’s just ask Christina, she’s got it covered.” 5 Grain is so professional at every turn, and on top of it, every person we talked to was warm and genuinely personable. If you’re on the fence about getting a planner, talk to 5 Grain. We recommend them in a heartbeat.

Sent on 11/11/2018

A.M. · Married on 04/21/2018

We can't imagine how much crazier the wedding planning process would have been without Five Grain Events. Every step of the way, there was someone to answer our questions and provide us with vendor suggestions! (And we just had the day-of coordination package!) Our day-of coordinator, Kelly, was so sweet, knowledgeable, and calm, and she made the process run much more smoothly. She got us to think about the fine details that we would have otherwise neglected, and yet didn't overwhelm us with them. It was truly a joy to work with Kelly and the Five Grain Events Team. We give you our biggest thanks!

Sent on 06/30/2018

Dennis · Married on 03/24/2018

Amazing! Joan was great. Kelly was a life saver. Very organized, professional and had every minute planned. Made the entire day go smooth and worry free. I would highly recommend.

Sent on 04/17/2018

Kara · Married on 06/24/2017

Jennifer at Five Grain Events was our "day-of" wedding coordinator, but Jennifer started helping me and my family more than 2 months prior to the wedding date!

Having a day of coordinator was something I really wanted, not only for myself but really for my parents to enjoy the entire day. When I expressed this to Jennifer in our initial Skype session, I could tell she not only completely understood this desire of mine but also went through all of the littlest details that she would take off of our plate to ensure this would happen. From that moment, I knew I had to work with Jennifer and she definitely lived up to everything she said during our initial chat!!

As the bride and first to get married in my family, I can't express enough gratitude my family has thanks to Jennifer's amazing work and attention to every detail. Not only did she keep me on track with all of the planning beginning about 2 months prior to the wedding date, but she also made me feel extremely confident that I was not forgetting anything major or minor for the special day. She asked me questions at our initial meeting that I had not even thought about yet, and when I mentioned other details it was like she already was in my head and knew how I wanted things set up.

Jennifer also made me feel like I was the only client she was attending to, and thanks to Jennifer and her assistant, my new husband, me and my parents who were hosting our wedding were able to enjoy the entire day and night without a single worry.

We were all impressed with how professional and organized she was after our initial meeting. My wedding day was absolutely perfect from start to finish and if there were any issues along the way, I still don't know about them thanks to Jennifer. I definitely would have felt much more overwhelmed and my parents would have been much more stressed had she not been involved in the rehearsal and wedding day, and I would recommend Five Grain and Jennifer specifically to any bride!

Sent on 08/16/2017

Eleanor · Married on 09/17/2016

Kelly DeMarino of Five Grain Events was the day-of coordinator for our wedding, and she was incredible, she went above and beyond to help us in every way imaginable. From the first meeting three months before the wedding through the last dance at the end of the reception when she sent us off assured that she'd take care of everything, Kelly was organized, attentive, responsive, and a pleasure to work with. If you're planning a wedding, hire Five Grain. Having Kelly on our team was the biggest factor in having the wedding go smoothly and coming together just the way we wanted it to.

Sent on 11/07/2016

Liz · Married on 06/11/2016

My husband and I worked with Five Grain Events for our June 2016 wedding. We honestly think that working with Five Grain was the best decision we made during the wedding process planning (other than deciding to get married, of course). They provided so much assistance for such a reasonable price, it was pretty amazing. Our coordinator was Ashley and we also worked with Emily prior to the wedding. They were both wonderful – they were very good at their jobs, patient with us, so well organized, and fun to be around! On the day of the wedding, Ashley had thought about every detail and was able to manage things before they even came to our attention. I can not imagine what our wedding day would have been like without their assistance. Having chosen Five Grain provided us with this great sense of calmness leading up to the wedding and the day of! If you are looking for assistance with wedding prep, day of coordination, or both, look no further…Five Grain is wonderful!

Sent on 10/31/2016

Alex · Married on 10/02/2015

Hiring Five Grain Events was the best wedding decision I made by far. I worked with Jennifer and she was amazing - so friendly, kind, responsive, and professional! I am an out-of-town bride, so I really needed help and Jennifer was there every step of the way. My entire wedding ran so smoothly I can hardly believe it. Everything truly seemed effortless and I know that is because of Jennifer and Five Grain Events. I am truly impressed by what I saw, and the fact is that she was probably doing a million things behind the scenes that I don't even know about. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Sent on 11/08/2015

Shannon from Five Grain was our planner. She was absolutely amazing - kind, calm, organized. She made my life so much easier leading up to the wedding (especially as I was planning for a Chicago wedding from Boston). It was helpful to have her as she made sure we covered everything, including many things I didn't even think of. She also kept track of / on top of all the vendors and timing which made planning much less stressful.

She ran a seamless show day of which enabled my husband and I to just enjoy ourselves and not worry! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND both Five Grain and Shannon.

Sent on 06/01/2015

jaime · Married on 02/21/2015

I had to take the time to personally write this review and let other future brides know HOW WONDERFUL Emily & the entire Five Grain Events team was. My husband and I enjoyed working with them every second and we could not have pulled it off without them. We received so many compliments about our coordinator, Emily, from the rehearsal to the day of and everything in between. They are a truly talented company and I am grateful that we had them for such a special event in our lives. I plan on referring Five Grain to every friend I have getting married as I cannot say enough fantastic things about them, their team and esp. Emily. Thank you for providing our wedding with such care - it was the best night of our lives. We did not realize how much goes into planning a wedding and I do not know if (actually I am certain) it would have not been as perfect as it was without Five Grain. Mike and I were actually able to enjoy ourselves with thanks to Five Grain - We want to do it all over!

Sent on 03/15/2015

Mike · Married on 02/21/2015

We worked with Emily Rodecker and the experience was absolutely invaluable. There's a lot to be said about rolling into the final week before your wedding and not sweating a single detail because you know it's all taken care of and that is what Emily did for us. She is thorough, diligent, and a creative problem solver and it really showed on our wedding day. We had an unbelievable experience and would recommend Five Grain, and more specifically Emily, to anyone. She was, by far, the wisest investment we made throughout this process.

Sent on 03/16/2015

Shannon · Married on 11/15/2014

Hiring a wedding planner from Five Grain Events for our wedding day was the best wedding planning decision my husband and I made. Emily Rodecker is a FABULOUS wedding planner! For the bride, particularly one with a large wedding party, many guests and lot's of out of town family, the day can become very stressful. But because of Emily's wonderful work, the day was perfect and we couldn't have asked for a better way to start our lives together. Emily has an amazing personality and she's such a sweetheart filled with creative ideas to help you realize your perfect wedding. Plus, everybody in our wedding party loved Emily and her assistants. She was helpful to everyone, worked with all of the vendors, and organized every possible aspect of the wedding. We didn't have to worry once and my parents, especially my mother loved working with her. Brides to be, be sure to tell you mothers how Emily will let them be simply the MOB. We highly recommend Emily and Five Grain Events if you want a dreamy and perfect wedding day in the Chicago area.

Sent on 03/01/2015

Bethany · Married on 08/09/2014

A wedding planner can be considered a somewhat extraneous expense when considering everything that needs paid for in a wedding, however Five Grain Events is completely worth every penny and at least consideration if you aren't thinking of getting a wedding planner. We ended up doing full wedding planning and worked with Joan. If there was any question whether it would be worth the cost, we are believers that it absolutely was. Not only was Joan a fun and calming presence to have around during the whole process, she is so organized, professional, and knowledgeable, that it makes every aspect of planning a wedding really fun! I've heard so many people say that they were glad their wedding was over because they didn't have to plan anymore. I couldn't feel different. Joan made the planning process so enjoyable! We were able to involved with every aspect of planning but were able to ask questions and voice concerns when they arose. She provided a list of vendors she's worked with and would recommend for every step of the way, including florists, officiants, videographers, which made choosing vendors really easy in a city that has so many options for everything. Joan made it possible to enjoy the wedding planning process, as well as the wedding, without a care in the world.

Sent on 10/11/2014

Ellie · Married on 07/27/2014

I had a great experience with Shannon Gonzalez. She is warm, friendly, SUPER organized, and willing to do anything to make the bride's day perfect. My family is not that easy to handle, and she was able to win them over and make everybody happy.
    I was on more of a budget than the typical person hiring a planner, but we were able to work out something that was manageable for us. She created the timelines for the groomsmen, bridesmaids, vendors, etc. This eliminated so much stress the last couple weeks. I wouldn't trust anyone else with such an important day in my life. SO WORTH IT!

Sent on 08/07/2014

Whitney · Married on 05/17/2014

We knew within the first few minutes of meeting with Joan, owner of Five Grain Events, that she was the one we wanted planning and overseeing the most important day of our lives. She made it a top priority to learn about us, our relationship, and what we wanted from a planner. The personal relationship we developed with her over the 15 months leading up to the wedding allowed her to provide top-notch service. In no way could one describe her brand of wedding planning as a "one-size-fits-all" approach. Joan can best be described as a master of her craft. From suggesting vendors that were perfectly suited to our personalities and the style/look that we were attempting to achieve; to calming my nerves when had my mini freak-outs along the way; to dotting every single i and crossing all of the t's; to ensuring that everything ran smoothly on wedding day...Joan does all of this with a smile on her lips and love in her heart. Many times over, we have heard from our guests that ours was the best wedding they've ever attended, and we have no doubt that all credit belongs to Joan. We've said over and over that besides deciding to get married to one another, hiring Joan was the best decision we've ever made. Our day was absolutely perfect, and if you decide to hire Five Grain Events, yours will be too.

Sent on 07/20/2014
  • Kelly

Kelly · Married on 09/14/2012

Joan (and the rest of the gals at Five Grain Events) are seriously the BEST. They are easy to work with, fun to be around and far more organized and efficient than even my type-A, list-making self could ever be. From the moment I woke up on my wedding day...to the moment I left the reception in our getaway...I didn't worry about a thing. They had every moment under control and orchestrated perfectly. I can't recommend FGE enough - best money you will spend on your wedding!!

Sent on 11/06/2012

Emily · Married on 07/22/2012

Hiring Five Grain Events to plan our wedding was the best decision we ever made. The planning process was super easy and fun. Joan would suggest a few vendors to meet with according to our price point and personal tastes. She would arrange all the meetings and accompany us to each one to offer guidance. She was always available via email within minutes and when we needed to meet in person she was flexible and eager to arrange time for us as soon as possible. The wedding day was perfect. I didn't have to think about what time it was or where I needed to be or when we needed to do anything because Joan took care of all of it. On the day of the wedding she brought a suitcase full of anything you could ever possibly need on your wedding day. For example; My dress was really wrinkled and had a small stain on it after two hours of outside pictures-- Joan fixed both of those things immediately; I wasn't happy with one element of the decorations-- Joan cut it down; When the reception was ending I asked Joan if we needed to go get taxi's to the next location. Her response was, "There are six taxi's waiting outside." Little things like that happened throughout the evening. Joan was always several steps ahead of everyone else. She put us at ease so we could enjoy every moment of our wedding.
    Needless to say, Five Grain Events is absolutely fantastic!

Our wedding was featured on Style Me Pretty here:

Sent on 11/10/2012

Caroline · Married on 06/23/2012

Joan was, in a word, incredible. Organized, responsive, professional... Joan time and again impressed my now husband and I with how she helped us realize our vision for our wedding. She handled every detail, put out every fire, was there to talk me off every ledge or speak to my mother when I just couldn't do it anymore. And she did it all flawlessly with a reassuring smile, delivering us our perfect day while helping us keep our sanity. Oh…did I mention that this woman HAD A BABY in the middle of all of this? She had one of the most important personal milestones in her life, and never once did we feel like the ball dropped for our wedding. Hire her. I’m going to say it again…HIRE HER. You can thank me later.

Sent on 11/08/2012
  • Angela

Angela · Married on 10/08/2011

Deciding to use a wedding coordinator for the day of our wedding was one of the best decisions we made during the planning process. I wasn't sure, at first, that we would need one since our venue had a coordinator assigned to our event, but after talking with Joan (a trusted friend) she was able to help us see all of the little details that you just don't think about when you first start planning. We had two meetings before the big day where we went through a 6-7 page list of all of the things she needed from us to make sure everything went off without a hitch. It seemed like a lot at the time, but being able to give her all of the info ahead of time left me free to enjoy the day instead of fretting over all of the little things that sneak up on you in the last couple of weeks. Joan was very prompt, organized, calm, and collected throughout the whole day and I literally didn't have to worry about a thing. At the end of the night she packed up everything and made sure it got sent home with me and my family so we were able to say goodbye to all of our guests instead of rushing around. I would hire her again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 10/21/2011

Molly · Married on 07/30/2011

f you are looking for an extremely capable wedding planner with a fantastic personality, your search will most definitely end with Joan of Five Grain Events.

We hired Joan as our day-of coordinator for our wedding last July, and we could not be happier with our choice. Joan is well organized, knowledgeable, proactive, funny and sweet as can be. I stood up in many weddings before my own, and I've seen firsthand just how difficult some planners can be to work with. Joan was just the opposite. She certainly crossed all of her T's and dotted her I's, but she was also funny, warm and a pleasure to be around. For a bride, a wedding day can be quite stressful, but because of Joan's hard work behind the scenes, the day was perfect!

Joan's services are also quite reasonably priced. We only used her "day-of" services, but that included so much more than getting everything set the day of the wedding. She suggested vendors, met with us a couple times before the wedding, as well as answered many phone calls and emails. She also contacted the entire bridal party a couple weeks before the wedding, to let them know how everything would be playing out during the wedding weekend. She ran our rehearsal, and coordinated all of our vendors to make the actual wedding day seamless.

Joan is AMAZING, and you would be lucky to have her with you on (and before) your special day!

Sent on 01/23/2012

amy · Married on 05/21/2011

Joan at Five Grains was the absolute best. Through all the planning she was calm, encouraging, funny, helpful, attentive, and organized. She also took on extra little projects for us whenever we needed something on an a la carte basis. On the weekend of the wedding she coordinated all the players and the details so beautifully that the event felt absolutely seamless and perfect. An example of her attention: We had two entrances to our reception hall. Expecting guests to arrive at the front entrance, we placed the escort cards along with a card box and menu stand where we thought they'd arrive. Surprisingly, the guests used the back entrance to our hall and when Joan saw them approaching, she and her assistant Sarah quickly moved the whole escort card tableau to the other side before there was any confusion! Both my husband and I had total confidence in her abilities and we give her our highest recommendation.

Sent on 06/14/2011

Brook · Married on 04/23/2011

Joan is absolutely awesome! Initially, I (Husband) was pretty skeptical about hiring a wedding planner. I mean, we have the internet, right? Ohhh boy, was I wrong. Joan is probably the best thing that happened besides actually getting married. Her professionalism, is top flight. She made the whole process so much more enjoyable...and kept us sane. Joan's in-depth knowledge of planning/vendors/venues/etc. helped us not only remain on track time-wise, but also aided in focusing what WE actually wanted out of our wedding. She is easy to work with and super-flexible. Joan is pretty much a wedding-planning ninja. I mean, she is on top of EVERYTHING! Change in venue? No problem. What? No Guinness on draft? Fixed. Power outage? Fixed (we didn't even know about this one until after the wedding). Joan made our wedding memorable for all the right reasons. We unreservedly recommend her.

Sent on 12/01/2011

Paula · Married on 02/26/2011

I honestly could not have made it through my wedding planning and wedding day without Joan and her amazing team! Joan was extremely professional and also down to earth. She was so organized from start to finish and made the planning process so easy. We worked with her for about 2 month before the wedding and she made sure that we were all set for the big day. She attended our rehearsal to make sure everyone was on track, which really helped! On the day of the wedding, Joan or one of her staff was with me the entire time. It was like having my own private damage control team! From start to finish, Joan and her team were taking care of every small detail, which made the wedding day very easy for us, our family, and our friends. My other vendors were extremely impressed with Joan and plan to refer her to future brides. If you are looking for a full out coordinator or just a day of coordinator, Five Grain Events is the way to go!

Sent on 03/20/2011