Dragonfly Events and Design Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2010 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

• Courtney
    Courtney S. Married on 10/03/2020

Most beautiful flowers I've seen!

Gretchen was a delight to work with! I had an array of ideas, flowers, and colors I liked but knew nothing about flowers. She somehow seemed to combine all the best elements and created the most beautiful bouquets, centerpieces, and boutonnieres I've ever seen. She also had draping and greenery throughout the venue which gave it a wonderfully warm and romantic feel, not to mention she surprised me with draping greenery on the outside of the barn which was literally picture perfect! Gretchen really brought everything I had I had envisioned to life... maybe even better than I envisioned :)
  • Wint
    Wint A. Married on 08/16/2020

One of a kind !!!

We got Gretchen for the partial service and day of coordinator for the wedding day, it was the best decision I ever made. It was such a stressful moment planning wedding during covid time. She was a wonderful help throughout the whole planning process until the wedding day. She's very incredibly detail oriented, organized, efficient, and her calm personality can ease any couples worries. I couldn't imagine our big day without her. Thank you Gretchen.
  • Wilfredo
    Wilfredo V. Married on 10/25/2019

Careful She Can Read Your Mind

It took less than 5 minutes for my wife to fall in love with the ideas Gretchen provided. She knew exactly what we wanted before we even said anything. The flowers & placement made our wedding gorgeous. The bride bouquet & boutonnières were even more beautiful than what we expected. She worked with us to keep within our budget and made sure we were nothing but happy throughout the entire process. All of our guests were delighted to hear they could take these beautiful pieces of living art home to enjoy just a little longer. Not only did Gretchen help with flowers but she also helped us find our caterer for the wedding but that’s for another review. Thank you Gretchen for making our special day so wonderfully perfect.
  • Kristi
    Kristi Married on 08/10/2019

Everything we needed and more!

Our experience with Gretchen and Hayley at Dragonfly was wonderful and everything we hoped it would be for our wedding. We hired Dragonfly for florals (now called Nova Florals) and for day-of coordination, and they exceeded expectations in both of these capacities. We were nervous at first because we were planning our wedding from five hundred miles away from our venue, and we wanted it to include lots of vintage glassware, a homemade arch for the ceremony, and lots of other details that would require unpacking a moving truck, setting up, and putting floral touches on before our ceremony and reception; we had no reason to worry, though, because Gretchen and her team had everything handled from the get-go.

One of the best things about working with Gretchen was how frequently and professionally she communicated with us starting at the very beginning of our relationship with her. In addition to an in-person consultation and other scheduled in-person meetings (to check in, to drop off details for florals, etc. etc.), we also had multiple hour-plus-long check-ins via phone that were scheduled in advance and helped to ensure that everybody was on the same page and that all the small details were accounted for. Gretchen’s enthusiasm about our vision for our wedding and her encouragement to do things exactly the way we wanted to do them was really refreshing, especially when all the planning minutiae were starting to feel overwhelming. She also did a great job of smoothing over and clarifying some communication gaps and misunderstandings with our venue, which was a huge plus since our venue had some major staff turnover during our engagement with them. Before our wedding day, we had an amazingly thorough timeline, an excellent idea of what our florals were going to look like, and the utmost confidence that we were in great hands.

Although Gretchen was the primary person with whom we communicated throughout our engagement with Dragonfly, Hayley was our actual on-site coordinator for the dayof and she did a fantastic job. Both she and Gretchen were present for the walkthrough and rehearsal at our venue, and by the end of the pre-wedding process we felt good that all the last-minute things had been addressed and thought through as carefully as they possibly could be. Hayley handled everything with a smile, from bringing an armful of champagne glasses to the girls in the middle of the day to lining up a bilingual group for the ceremony processional to working with our venue staff to make sure we had everything we needed throughout the reception.

This review has been mostly about the day-of coordination (which was amazing!) but I need to gush for a moment too about how perfect the flowers were! During the planning process, Gretchen was extremely receptive to different ideas about what specific stems would look great in our colors and what would add texture to our overall look; she also had plenty of great suggestions that definitely helped to make our wedding florals as beautiful and interesting as possible. In addition to creating lovely renditions of the standard bouquets and boutonnières, Gretchen (through Nova Florals) also made hair combs for the women in the bridal party from a combination of real and artificial flowers and succulents that were just perfect.

We couldn’t recommend Dragonfly and Nova Florals highly enough, and we’re so grateful for everything they did to make our big day a success!
    Valery Married on 07/14/2019

A coordinator who truly lifts weight off your shoulders from start to finish!

Gretchen provided the most incredible wedding coordinator experience. From start to finish, she assisted with details big and small and answered any and all questions. Leading up to the wedding Gretchen seamlessly organized all vendor details and lifted weight off my shoulders left and right. Waking up the day of our wedding, I felt so comforted knowing the day was in her hands. Gretchen was calming, reassuring, encouraging, and also direct when needed. There is no one else I could have imagined trusting for our big day!
  • Nicole
    Nicole A. Married on 05/10/2019

Dream wedding made possible by a dream team

Our experience from start to finish with Gretchen was AMAZING. When I met her I instantly clicked with her and knew she was a great person. We hired Dragonfly for florals (now called NOVA florals) and also for wedding planning. From the beginning Gretchen was so calm cool and collected and had me feeling so confident that our wedding would be nothing shy of PERFECT. She was so easy to get a hold of, very flexible on meeting times and locations, and very patient with ALL of our questions. She listens and delivers like nobody's business.

When it came to the actual day of our wedding- I wasn't even worried about one thing. Gretchen checked in and told us how wonderful and smooth everything was going and I had full confidence that it looked perfect. Little did I know that not only did it look perfect.. IT WAS A DREAM... beyond my wildest expectations- We were completely blown away with how wonderful our day truly turned out to be. We could not have done this without Gretchen and Hayley by our side making everything possible behind the scenes.

Did I mention the florals? OMG!! The flowers were MAGNIFICENT.. ROMANTIC just STUNNING. This team WAS INCREDIBLE. Every flower, every stem, every leaf perfectly placed to make the biggest impact.

Trust me and BOOK Dragonfly and you'll have the wedding of your dreams...

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH Gretchen! We are still in clouds over everything!
  • Christina
    Christina Married on 11/03/2018

More than 5 stars! Amazing experience with Gretchen.

I said time and time again throughout my wedding planning process that Gretchen was my angel and I still standby that statement. I probably second guessed every choice leading up to my wedding except for two things: saying yes to my fiance (now husband) and hiring Gretchen.

She was thoughtful, creative, organized, detail-oriented, and incredibly experienced. Gretchen kept me and my family grounded in what was most important and brought us back when we started spiraling since we'd never done anything like it before!

She took care of the details and was a true partner in every aspect. I was in NYC planning a wedding in Leesburg, VA and she made herself available whenever I needed to chat in addition to regular touchbases, always being flexible and reassuring me we were right on track by being transparent with timelines and goals we needed to achieve. There are so many instances where I appreciated her offering her expert opinion when I needed it most - no question was too big or too small, she really knows what she's doing!

Beyond her expertise, she is kind and so much fun, so she let's you enjoy it all. My guests told me that it was the most fun and organized wedding they had ever been to! All thanks to Gretchen.

Plus, we had Dragonfly Events & Design do our flowers/decor and I was blown away by all she did. We did not stop hearing about how beautiful everything was from our guests.

It's so hard to write a review to capture everything Gretchen did, but this is my best! You will be blown away if you go with Gretchen and Dragonfly Events & Design.
    Elaina Married on 09/29/2018
    Gretchen and Jessie were absolutely amazing and I could not of done my wedding without them! Gretchen also did my florals which were STUNNING and I got so many compliments on how beautiful my flowers were! She literally made my Pinterest board come to life and I couldn't believe how beautiful my wedding looked! She is very organized and made a whole floor plan and itinerary for me that we collaborated on which helped so much!! I was sad that Gretchen couldn't be at my wedding because she already had another one booked, but her assistant Jessie was there and she was amazing!! She made everything look gorgeous and made the day run very smoothly and calmed me down!!! I really don't know how people have weddings without planners - if you're doubting hiring one - stop now and hire Dragonfly!!
    Jennifer Married on 04/07/2018
    Gretchen was the best wedding coordinator I could have asked for! I met with her a few months out before the wedding, and we discussed everything I wanted to happen at the wedding step by step. She set up a great system for organising all the details. By meeting with her, I had a very clear idea of what still needed to be done, and this kept my stress level in the months right before the wedding. The day of the wedding, Gretchen did a fantastic job setting everything up as well as keeping everything on track. I had a guest who is also an event planner there, and she told me she was very impressed with the flow of the whole event. Gretchen also handled my flowers, and they looked incredible. She matched everything I showed her on Pinterest, and honestly, made some arrangements look even better. It was really great working with Dragonfly Events for both wedding planning and floral design!
    Laura Married on 03/23/2018
    We originally weren't going to hire a wedding planner but after a friend recommended Gretchen, we reached out to her about day-of coordinating. I scheduled a phone consultation with Gretchen and immediately felt at ease. We ended up bringing Gretchen and her team on for Partial Planning and it was the best decision! From the first phone call until the last minute of the wedding reception, Gretchen was reassuring and confident; she encouraged my input while still taking charge and directing the process. She went above and beyond to bring our vision to life (while respecting our budget) and on our wedding day, managed a "crisis" with my dress like a complete pro! Her assistants were also experienced, kind and professional. The day before the wedding, I needed some reassurance to calm my nerves. Gretchen took time she didn't have to take to talk with me, walk me through a checklist and helped me relax and enjoy the "last" 48 hours. I remember thinking that THIS is the type of wedding planner you see in the movies. :) The only thing I would have done differently is hired Gretchen from the very beginning for full planning. You couldn't ask for a better wedding planner!
    Jessie Married on 02/06/2018
    I can't begin to tell you how perfect my Wedding was and I give all thanks to Gretchen!! All my wedding stress went out the door the first time I met her happy, cheerful self. From that moment on it was just a dream working with her and planning the wedding of my dreams. My big day came and she went above and beyond anything I couldve imagined. I mean I was just completely blown away with how perfect she made everything. Thank you for the best day of my life!!
    Kelly Married on 09/30/2017
    I had the pleasure of working with Gretchen for my wedding at The Winery at Bull Run! She worked on my flowers (bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces, flower arrangements for the ceremony, and the most beautiful floral hair piece. The flowers had already been delivered by the time I even arrived to the ceremony site!
    When I saw the flowers I was awe struck. They were gorgeous and absolutely everything I had asked for. My bridal bouquet was lavish and colorful and I received so many compliments on how beautiful it was. The decor for the reception looked awesome and Gretchen was even flexible enough to make me an extra centerpiece just days before the wedding when I had to re-arrange my table assignments. Gretchen's work is incredible and I was so happy with the final product! Thank you Gretchen!
    Alexa Married on 09/15/2017
    Wow!!Where to even start? I hired Gretchen as my day-of planner and florist for our wedding, and it was by far the best vendor decision I made for my wedding. She made rustic romantic vision come to life with the most beautiful greenery, floral arrangements, a multi-purpose flower arch (that my guests are still raving about), cake flowers, wedding party bouquets/boutonnieres, and Table card centerpieces , completed with all the most perfect details from Gold Candlesticks to other rustic touches. From my first phone call with her, I knew she understood exactly what I wanted and she had the best ideas to compliment my pieced-together Pinterest inspiration boards. She was SO responsive, willing to work in my budget and repurpose items (We also used her for Rehearsal Dinner Flowers), and I trusted her the whole time. On the day of, it was no surprise that not only were the arrangements beautiful, but she executed the day-of events flawlessly. I was never stressed because I knew she had it under control and was super organized from day one in coordinating with my vendors. I’ve since recommended Gretchen to several other brides, who I know will be just as thrilled as I was if they choose her. Go with Gretchen and her amazing team from Dragonfly events ..You won’t regret it !!
    Jordana Married on 04/29/2017
    It took 7 months to plan this lifecycle event involving participation across four states including New York, Massachusetts, Florida and Virginia. At times, it was frustrating and we wondered if it would all truly come together as the Bride's vision of her rustic, swanky chic affair. Led by Planner/Florist Gretchen Wade @dragonflygw we put our faith in her to lead us and keep our concerns to a minimum. We already had the perfect clean slate venue @shadowcreekweddings. She suggested @maineventcatrs and we agreed, crafting a menu of delectable low country fare. We researched and found DJ Romin @zandientertainment because everyone knows the DJ is the heartbeat of the party. The Bride saw Hay Alexandra's work and booked her as the art photog. Sunday is now a precious memory of a magical day where two people in love were celebrated by family and chosen family in the very best way possible. We are still reeling, over the moon, grateful, feeling blessed. This is what it looks like when you assemble a creative team of the most talented individuals of the Virginia/DC wedding industry!
    Shara Married on 09/04/2016
    Gretchen was absolutely the best coordinator a bride could ask for! She made sure everything went smoothly and even ran the rehearsal. She did everything behind the scenes to make sure the day was flawless. My wedding day was beyond what I could have ever imagined, thanks to Gretchen and her great ideas!
    Emma Married on 06/11/2016
    I think one of my favorite parts of our wedding was the flowers. I am no flower expert by any means, but I knew the look and feel I wanted for the day. When I met with Gretchen she jumped on my vision and immediately started listing dozens of different flowers that would work and I knew that all I needed to do was trust her and she would do an amazing job. Gretchen not only provided me with my vision for the flowers, she improved it!! The flowers were more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. You can really tell she takes a lot of pride in her work - she even seemed to tear up when she had to say goodby to my bouquet. We received so many compliments on the flowers, and we couldn't be more happy that we went with Dragonfly Events and Design as our florist.
    Janine Married on 05/21/2016
    Working with Gretchen was a dream come true. I used her for both flowers and Day-of Coordination. Honestly the only thing I would change is that I would have done full planning and taken advantage of her help earlier and for more of the wedding planning process. She understood my vision from day one and ran with it. She somehow manages to figure out what your dream is and make it happen without needing supervision or hand holding. The day of the wedding she was calmness in the middle of a tornado, I don't know what I would have done without her. The flowers were beautiful and I was so happy with the way everything turned out. Even though we were plagued with last minute rain, she pulled together a plan and made everything beautiful. You will not find a more dedicated, professional, and attentive planner. I can't recommend her highly enough!!!
  • User2635514 2+ years ago
    Gretchen was AMAZING! She provided the flowers for our wedding. From our first conversation on the phone she immediately got my vision. She answered my MANY questions along the way and was responsible, professional and never annoyed. I dealt with a lot of vendors that day and Gretchen was an absolute delight (especially compared to most). She took the time to meet me at the venue and explain everything we had talked about so I was comfortable. The flowers were gorgeous. I did not know that Gretchen provided full coordination services and not just flowers until a few months before the wedding but if I had known I definitely would have hired her. She knows how to decorate and plan a wedding to create a beautiful experience. I fully recommend her! I
    Megan Married on 05/07/2016
    Gretchen was absolutely amazing! We had a huge hiccup with our original venue, but Gretchen guided us through the process of finding a backup that was not only just as good, but actually better. And I loved the flowers that she put together. I gave her adjectives to describe what I wanted (fun, different, wild flower) and she took those and ran with them. All of our guests had nothing but positive things to say about the look of our wedding. All of the little details added to the theme we were going for and they all tied together in a package that was everything I could have hope for. Honestly, I would have been lost without her.
    Jessica Married on 10/03/2015
    We really enjoyed working with Gretchen! We used her for our wedding planning, design and floral. We got married on 10/3 which was the weekend of Hurricane Joaquin. Our plan was to have our 2 hour cocktail/hors d'oeuvres hour outside with the many yard games and fire pits our venue provided. The 100% chance of rain, flash flood warnings and high wind alerts put a huge damper on our plans and was very upsetting to me. As you could imagine I was seriously stressing over the weather leading up to our day. Gretchen did a great job of checking in on me to make sure I wasn't completely losing it (though I did several times) and reassured me over and over that even though we had hoped for no rain she would make our day amazing regardless. She delivered! It turned out absolutely beautiful despite the yucky weather and the flowers and design could not have been more perfect! It was cold and rainy the entire day but nobody cared because they were all having such a fantastic time in the beautifully decorated space! Gretchen did a fantastic job planning our day and provided that extra support that some brides (like myself) need by being present and making sure everything ran smoothly on our day! She is a great planner, decorator, florist and after working so closely with her for months, friend. I would recommend her!
    Madalyn Married on 10/03/2015
    I can not even begin to express how blown away I was by Gretchen and Dragonfly Events & Design's work. My flowers were breathtaking as were the centerpieces! From the start Gretchen made the process so easy and she was always so quick to communicate whenever I had any questions and took the time to sit down and meet with us to ensure our vision came to light. I would absolutely recommend her to anyone and am so thankful that Gretchen made our day even more special!
    Kristen Married on 10/02/2015
    We just got married Friday 10/2 at The Winery at Bull Run. Over the past year leading up to the wedding, I emailed back and forth with several vendors for lighting + florals. Gretchen was always fun and easy to work with, and I could not be happier that we went with her! No wonder she is on their preferred vendor list!! She installed uplights, and hung string lights in the Barrell Room and truly made it a magical space!

As for the centerpieces and bouquets/boutonnieres... I sent her some color ideas and inspiration photos and she worked with me on different types of flowers she suggested (complete with very detailed descriptions, photos, and prices that made it all simple and easy!). When it came down to it, I had a vague idea of what the final products would be, but overall felt comfortable trusting her judgment to bring us something amazing and she did NOT disappoint! The wedding ran so far behind schedule that I didn't even get a chance to see my flowers until I was about to walk down that aisle. They were seriously the most beautiful arrangements I have ever laid eyes on!! Better than anything I could have imagined!

Thank you so much for the most perfect flowers and for the breathtaking ambiance! I cannot recommend Gretchen and Dragonfly Events and Design enough!!
  • User2310818 2+ years ago
    We hired Gretchen to do our floral design for our wedding. It was absolutely BREATHTAKING! I got to meet her in person a couple of months before the wedding to review our vision and boy did she deliver. She went above and beyond my expectations. I received so many compliments on all of our flower arrangements and designs. I would highly recommend her services. She is absolutely amazing!
  • User2204839 2+ years ago
    We worked with Gretchen to plan our wedding at Shadow Creek in Purcellville. After working with her, I don't know how people could possibly plan a wedding on their own. Not only did she do a great job, she is so easy to work with and went out of her way to make sure our wedding day was perfect. She also did our flowers for the event and they were beyond beautiful. We used her for the rehearsal dinner flowers, and she made she they would match so we could incorporate them into our wedding day decor as well and that worked out wonderfully. HIGHLY recommend Gretchen and Dragonfly. They really made our wedding day wonderful.
    Nicole Married on 02/20/2015
    I am an event planner by trade and knew I didn't want to worry about the minutiae of details required to setup my wedding on the day of. Gretchen had planned my friend's wedding a few months prior, so I called her up and her month of planning was exactly what I needed. She met with me to go over my vision for the wedding and the items I had already put together...I am extremely picky, but she was a great sounding board for ideas that I wasn't quite sure about and even helped me search for the perfect linens to fit in with that vision. Not only did she help with coordinating all of the vendors in the month before the wedding, but she also did my floral arrangements, which turned out even more beautiful than I had imagined. Her day-of coordination is something that no bride should go without. My wedding was at Morais Vineyards, which was an absolutely gorgeous venue, but like a lot of venues, they don't allow you to setup decorations or leave anything the night before. Gretchen and her crew were able to pull together all of my pintrest-inspired creations and get the place looking fantastic all within the few short hours that we had available before the ceremony. Thanks to Gretchen, I had not a care in the world on my wedding day. There were a few snafus, like the caterer not bringing mixers or our shuttle service breaking down, causing the wedding to be delayed an hour, but Gretchen took care of each of those items and I didn't even know anything had happened until after the ceremony was over. Gretchen is definitely fantastic and I would recommend her for both wedding planning and floral decor in a heartbeat.