Donovan's Dish Reviews

49 | Apex, NC

49 Reviews for Donovan's Dish

Laura · Married on 10/21/2017

WOW. We booked Donovan's Dish for our wedding and it was by far the best wedding food I have ever tasted! Our guests raved about it, and I wish I hadn't been running on so much adrenaline so that I could have enjoyed more of it! Melissa and the team made our planning process very straightforward. They were extremely accommodating for our guests with (sometimes strange) food restrictions; I had a guest that needed no onions, egg, and garlic, and Melissa made it happen with only a week's notice. My only suggestion to future couples would be to make sure that you can take some food home afterwards- I had thought we could do this but I don't think we brought the right containers to do so. I highly recommend Donovan's if you're looking for delicious staples with a southern touch. I wanted to have some thematically appropriate food without it being too heavy, and they did a wonderful job! Thank you!

Sent on 10/24/2017

Megan · Married on 10/14/2017

We were lucky enough to have Donovan’s Dish cater our wedding on October 14, 2017. Our 130 guest raved about how accommodating the staff were and how delicious the food was. The staff and our Catering Coordinator, Kim, were a dream to work with over our engagement. She made the entire process easy, pleasant and continuously went above and beyond to ensure that our foodie vision came to life and the food was perfect. She happily met with us whenever we asked and answered countless emails. I can’t speak enough about how special the staff and Donovan’s made us and our guests feel. Highly recommend- it was truly the perfect service and foodie experience for us and our guests

Sent on 11/07/2017

Theresa · Married on 07/14/2017

Oh my gosh, I cannot say enough wonderful things about the food and the staff here!! The guests raved over our heavy hors d'oeuvres wedding reception. Just a few of the standout favorites were the pork sliders, the goat cheese quesadillas with mango salsa, the bourbon meatballs, the chicken tzatziki skewers.... But even more amazing than the food was the quality of service from each and every staff member. They all truly went above and beyond to help in any way possible, they were the MOST FRIENDLY catering staff (to ALL our guests!) that I have ever encountered. Simply a top notch company all around.

Sent on 08/01/2017
  • Julia

Julia · Married on 05/05/2017

The team at Donovan's Dish provided catering for our rehearsal dinner and we recommend them highly. From the taste testing we had in their store to the completion of the rehearsal dinner, everything was handled professionally and deliciously! My fiancé was hesitant about shrimp and grits since he has traditionally eaten them at a local restaurant. The moment he tasted the DD version, he was in love. Our menu was creative and they were very flexible working with us on our personal wishes and dietary concerns for guests. We were extremely pleased with how promptly they responded to communication and how professionally they handled things at the event. Food was superb!

Sent on 05/22/2017

Beth · Married on 12/03/2016

Great food, great service, great staff, Donovan's was absolutely fabulous all around! We had a great experience with Donovan's from start to finish. They offered us an initial tasting where we were able to try all sorts of their delicious food. The quality of the food is undeniable. Maureen was responsive, accommodating, and extremely helpful in the entire planning process. The wait staff at the wedding were fabulous, and made sure our guests were taken care of. The staff made sure we had plenty of food and were well-fed! They were everything and more we could have hoped for in a caterer. Most of our guests commented on how incredible the food was. This isn't your standard bland and boring wedding food, if you want to feed your guests well, go with Donovan's!

Sent on 01/04/2017

Leanne · Married on 11/19/2016

When you're constantly craving your wedding food, months after the big day - that's a good sign right? :) All of our wedding guests LOVED the food and have said it's by far the best food. Some of our wedding guests have even visited DD's Take-Out Market for another bite.

From the beginning, Donovan's Dish was responsive, friendly, professional and flexible with all of our requests. They even worked to keep us within budget. At our wedding cocktail hour and reception, the DD staff is very professional and kind. The buffet food display is gorgeous and their signature attire is awesome too! The only (minor) downfall - we provided the booze and DD provided the mixers and sodas. Donovan's Dish ran out of sodas/juices half way through our wedding reception. Donovan's Dish was very accommodating and quickly fixed the problem. This was a minor error and not a big deal; our guests carried on with the party. At least we didn't run out of the good stuff :)

Without a doubt, I'd recommend Donovan's Dish for any wedding or event. I'm excited for a chance to use DD again in the future!

Sent on 03/22/2017

Cathy · Married on 10/15/2016

We absolutely loved working with Donovan's Dish for our wedding. Throughout the planning process they were professional, responsive, and friendly. Melissa was incredibly organized and also helped us with other aspects of the wedding including wording for our menu. The food was AMAZING from the salad to the buffet. Every single guest raved that it wasn't "wedding food" but tasted like they were at a restaurant. The servers were incredibly friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to bring extra food or drinks to people who needed them. They also wrapped all of the leftovers into handy to go boxes for us and we enjoyed them the next night. We could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding!

Sent on 09/30/2016

Megan · Married on 09/23/2016

What can I say....I will always go to Donovan's Dish First for any event catering. Not only is the food spectacular working with Melissa was a pleasure. She has the best sense of humor and is extremely organized and thought of things I didn't. I enjoyed her phone calls and emails. Most of all they accommodated us after an issue with another catering company we had originally hired. They previous company we hired was nothing like Donovan's Dish. Donovan's Dish was professional, honest and dependable. I can't wait to work with them again in the future.

Sent on 10/02/2016

Jasmine · Married on 07/03/2016

Considering our particular menu needs, I knew going in that we were not going to be the easiest clients to work with for our wedding but Donovan's Dish met, surpassed, blew our expectations out of the water with the quality of their food, their professional planning and execution, and their exceptional service. Serving a New Orleans themed menu to cooks from New Orleans was asking a lot but Melissa and her team did an amazing job. The food was so good, I didn't mind risking spilling gumbo and shrimp creole on my wedding dress (which I did). They were also incredibly accommodating of last minute changes to our menu and they worked hard to make our vision a delicious reality. I'll be excited for a chance to use their services again in the future.

Sent on 12/13/2016
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 06/18/2016

From the very beginning the professionalism was out of this world. We had met with a few other caterers who seemed all about the business and not very personable. We hadn't heard of Donovoan's Dish until TWO of our vendors had recommended them to us (Thank you Renee Sprink & Paula from Party Reflections!) Our first meeting was held at their previous catering location. They invited us into their kitchen where a beautifully displayed table was set for four. We first met with the catering manager Melissa, who by the way was amazingly organized, patient, and just wonderful through out our entire engagement. She truly loves her job and joy radiates from her when you speak with her. We had the pleasure of meeting Chef TJ who cooked us portions of the three entrees we chose and his most popular hors d'oeuvres, oh did I mention there was wine, candle light, and Frank Sinatra playing in the background? It was an amazing experience to be in the presence of someone who has such a passion and love for cooking. We were sold right then and there. This is more than a catering company, it is a family. Jill and her team are one of a kind and they take care of you like you are one of their own. Nico and I feel so lucky to have been able to work with such spectacular people for our special day. We had a plated dinner of 175 and our whole night ran so smoothly thanks to them. The service was impeccable, the food was beyond delicious, and we couldn't be happier with our decision to have them cater our wedding! I could go on and on, but to the future brides and grooms do not look any further! Donovan's Dish is the real deal.

Sent on 07/01/2016

Carrie · Married on 05/29/2016

Zach and I cannot say enough great things about Donovan's Dish. From the beginning, they were responsive, professional, friendly, and flexible with all of our menu tweaks. After leaving our tasting, we were sold. The food was expertly prepared and delicious. We liked our tasting so much we ended up using them for our couples shower and wedding. We received so many compliments throughout both events. The staff was amazing. Even other vendors were impressed with how well they handled the flow of service and made sure to find every last silverware at the end of the night so we were charged extra from our rental people. I think Donovan's Dish was one of the easiest, stress free decisions we made during the planning process.

Sent on 07/05/2016

Lauren · Married on 04/29/2016

There is no doubt that the quality of the food at a wedding can make or break the success of the evening. We are four days out from the wedding and I am still getting accolades from family and friends raving about how good the food was. Not only was the food presented beautifully, it was served by a staff like no other. The quality and preparation of the meals were incredible. We chose to do stations, which was an awesome alternative to the buffet line. The only regrets from our guests, were that they were too full to try everything because it all looked so good. If I had to say anything bad, is that there were too many awesome choices to just pick a few from when planning the menu!

Sent on 05/03/2016

Harper · Married on 12/05/2015

I cannot say enough positive comments about Donovan's Dish. Jill and her team did an amazing job from day one. She was responsive, patient, accommodating, and full of great ideas. On the day of the wedding, the servers were on point. They were polite, professional, and made sure that my husband and I took time to eat during cocktail hour and during the reception. Our guests spoke highly of the service, as well. Most importantly, the food was wonderful. From shrimp and grits to pasta to ham biscuits, our guests could not stop talking about how delicious everything was. I would love to host another event just to have Donovan's Dish cater.

Sent on 12/22/2015

Meaghan · Married on 11/07/2015

I want to host another big event just so I can use Donovan's Dish again! We used them for our wedding at The Stockroom in November and can't say enough good things about this team. Our decision was pretty much made from our first meeting when they set up a tasting for us. Other companies rushed us and wanted decisions on the spot. Not DD, they served courses, talked to us about the ingredients and shared stories of other weddings they'd worked. The food at our wedding was wonderful (people are still talking about it a month later!), the staff was super professional, and the service/presentation was flawless. My husband and I were never without a drink thanks to this staff, and they had full plates ready and waiting at our seats so we did actually get to eat on our wedding day! I really enjoyed working with Melissa throughout the planning process - she answered questions I didn't know I had, made great recommendations, and even coordinated with my other vendors to cover the all the details. DD is a bit pricier than some of the other caterers we looked at, but I can tell you they are worth every penny!

Sent on 12/05/2015

Katie · Married on 10/24/2015

I wish I could give Donovan's Dish ten stars for their catering service at our wedding! From the initial tasting down to the last minute of the ceremony, their professionalism and kindness was outstanding. And lets now forget how GREAT the food was during our event! My husband as well as many guests at our wedding work in the food industry and everyone commented on how impressed they were with the quality of the meal. They made sure to give us (bride and groom) separate plates so we also had time to enjoy the food. I can honestly saw that we have never worked with a better catering company and would highly recommend them for any catered event!

Sent on 11/09/2015

Tiffany · Married on 10/10/2015

We are so glad we chose Donovan's Dish for our wedding. Bottom line: SEVERAL people told us it was the best wedding food they'd ever had. That should be enough! But there's more...

We had some guests with special dietary needs, and Melissa was on top of it, they even made a special dish for those guests and brought it to them! And, they brought me and my husband our plates first, so we could actually eat our meal with our friends (stereotypes about not eating at your wedding be damned! We ate, and it was delicious).

The staff were all lovely and nice, and worked really fast to flip everything over during cocktails so that everything was perfectly on time.

5 Stars!
    Tiffany and Steve

Sent on 10/23/2015

Lynne · Married on 10/22/2016

Donovan's dish bus amazing!! All of our wedding guests raved about the food! Melissa was very easy to work with!! Don't miss the shrimp and grits!!

Sent on 11/16/2016

Jamie · Married on 07/15/2017

We worked with Donovan's Dish for our recent wedding in July. From the moment we reached out to them, their customer service was amazing! They helped us work through our menu selections, were very patient on the timeframe, and were very helpful when teaming up with other vendors related to dining (such as linens, rentals, etc.). The catering manager that we worked with was very friendly and helpful through the whole process, up until the day of our wedding. They even attended the vendor review meeting with the coordinator and all other vendors, and it was very helpful to walk through the timeline of our day and understand how their service will be provided to us and our guests.
    We highly recommend Donovan's Dish to any bride and groom planning their upcoming wedding. Not only was the service outstanding, but the food was absolutely delicious! We received many compliments on the food, and some local guests even visited the store front after the wedding to purchase some of the packaged food for their weekly meals. Amazing!
    Such a great experience working with Donavan's Dish, thank you.

The Sutherland Estate & Gardens
    July 15, 2017

Sent on 08/23/2017

Summer · Married on 05/20/2017

DD catered our wedding reception and we are thrilled with our decision to hire them! When I first started putting out feelers for caterers I was impressed by how quickly Jill repsonded to my inquiries and her willingness to accommodate my budget requests. Jill helped me put together my menu and we couldn't have been happier with it. Our entire menu was delicious but the Signature Stuffed Chicken was PHENOMENAL and I will definitely be ordering it from their take home menu again. I had originally set out to keep my budget around $2500, which only allowed for drop off service and Jill was more than happy to make sure that we would have a great dinner selection on our budget. We later decided to add servers and a bartender and it was worth every extra penny! We were lucky to have Jill as our on-site manager and she helped keep our reception flowing and on schedule. Our original catering coordinator left DD just a couple weeks before the wedding, but Melissa picked up where she left off beautifully as if she had been working on our wedding the entire time! Jill and Melissa went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed for the food/drinks at the reception, as well as, advised me on other areas of the reception. All of our guests were very pleased with the food and service and we would definitely recommend Donovan's Dish to any one. We look forward to another opportunity to use them!!

Sent on 06/20/2017
  • User5119189 · 2+ years ago

I couldn't have been happier choosing Donovan's Dish for my wedding! The food was so good and guests are still talking about how yummy the food was. They really listen to what you want and help you find a menu within budget. Also, having a menu tasting was one of my favorite meetings of wedding planning. They are simply amazing!

Sent on 09/26/2016

Brooke · Married on 04/23/2016

The food was AMAZING! I've been to weddings where the food was sub-par at best so it was important to me to have delicious food and Donavan's Dish delivered! They did 3 private tastings for us and our families until we found exactly what we wanted, and they did perfectly on the wedding day! Not to mention they were so quick to respond whenever we had questions!

Sent on 12/19/2016

Donovan's Dish did a fantastic job catering our wedding reception for 115 people last weekend. While we were making initial catering decisions, Melissa was very responsive by email, and we were very impressed by the food and presentation at our tasting (it was great to meet the chef, TJ, as well). As the wedding approached, Melissa was in touch with questions that showed she was really thinking through the details of our event, and she was very accommodating of our minor menu changes and last-minute requests. At the reception, the buffet table looked great, the food was delicious, and the staff was friendly and professional. They even saved appetizers for the bridal party and brought plates of food for my husband and I so we wouldn't have to go through the buffet. Thanks to TJ, Melissa, and all of the servers for making it a great night!

Sent on 07/23/2015
  • DesertPolarBear

Jennifer · Married on 12/31/2017

Donovan's Dish blew us away at our initial tasting and Melissa was incredible to work with throughout the process (thank GOD she was able to handle my rental agreement for me, those details can get to be a lot). We have continued to get so many compliments on the food and the staff was extremely professional. My only two small issues were that we had ordered a separate vegetarian entree for one guest which she never received, and also that it seems that the passing trays for hors d'oeuvres and late night snacks only got to people standing near the kitchen door, and there could maybe have been more effort to make sure the circulation was more even. Overall, delicious, well-cooked food and a great staff and I would work with them again without hesitation!

Sent on 01/19/2018
  • ceelengoestocamp

Emily · Married on 12/17/2016

We loved Donovans! Finding a caterer was probably the most difficult part of planning for us. Food was one of our priorities and many places either didn't have food that appealed to us, or were out of budget. Initially even Donovans was looking to be out of budget, but I spoke to them about it and we ended up putting together an amazing menu within budget! The tasting was excellent, they served beautiful, tasty, LARGE plates. The day of the wedding everything ran so smoothly. They didn't have to ask any questions, it was just taken care of, which was an amazing feeling. Everyone loved the food. They served everything to me and my husband first so we could eat and then mingle with our guests. It worked out perfectly.

Sent on 12/30/2016