Donovan's Dish Reviews

Donovan's Dish 2
  • Cassie

Cassie · Married on 11/17/2018

Amazing Experience!

Donovan's Dish catered our wedding and did a PHENOMENAL job! We had a mingle-style wedding with no assigned seating and opted for food stations.

SERVICE: Donovan's was the most friendly, prompt and efficient vendor that we had. Leading up to our wedding, Kim was always prompt in responding to any questions we had, and she was the ultimate problem solver. She was very helpful with our interesting set-up, offering tips as to how to appropriately manage cocktail hour and dinner and suggestions as to popular food items. She went out of her way to make sure our experience was a personal one, and she seemed genuinely excited about catering our event. On our wedding day, everything went perfectly. The Donovan's crew was very friendly and efficient. The bartenders in particular were amazing!!

FOOD: Not only were the stations so fun and the servers extremely friendly, the food was absolutely delicious (and we are VERY picky about food). In particular, our guests raved about the shrimp and grits! Donovan's gave us a few extra trays of the shrimp and grits to take home, and we ate them for four meals straight haha! They are that good.

In sum, we cannot recommend Donovan's enough. They did a fantastic job, and we could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding!!!

Laura · Married on 08/25/2018

Donovan's Dish catered our wedding at The Cookery in Durham, and they did a phenomenal job. Soon after our initial tasting, we began working with Kim. She was so kind, responsive, patient, and attentive to details. The day of the wedding, Sarah was our event manager and she also did an awesome job. Donovan's was so flexible and worked with us to create the perfect event--we had our ceremony and reception in the same room, and they seamlessly flipped the room during our cocktail hour. We also received many compliments on the food. We had a plated salad at the table and then food stations with shrimp and grits, short ribs with truffled mashed potatoes, and pimento cheese stuffed chicken with the best corn and tomato salad. I'm so happy to have worked with Donovan's Dish!

Julia · Married on 07/22/2018

Best experience ever! We loved working with Donovan's Dish. Jill did our initial consultation and tasting, which was fabulous. The shrimp and grits CANNOT be beat! We worked with Kim for the rest of our planning process and she was so nice, helpful, and just easy to be around. DD was incredibly professional, sleek, and kind at our wedding reception and cocktail hour. They also left a card for us in our card box to recreate our wedding menu in the future! The food was absolutely delicious and all of our guests raved about it - even prepared for a crowd, it still tasted amazing. I cannot recommend enough! Our experience was phenomenal.

Caitlin · Married on 06/12/2018

We LOVED Donovan's Dish! We tried two caterers that fit into our budget for our wedding and Donovan's Dish knocked it out of the park. We tried them first and the woman we worked with (who no longer works there) told us to make sure we ask any other vendors that we try if they provide all of the materials to prepare and present the food. The next vendor we went to provided none of the materials needed, and we would've easily spent another $500+ on rentals on top of an already more expensive caterer. The food was phenomenal. We tried their prosciutto stuffed chicken and braised short ribs with a vegetable medley and roasted fingerling potatoes. Their food is top-tier, fanciest of fancy quality. We ended up going with the chicken, switching to a bistro filet (their summer version of the braised short ribs), the vegetables, and a mashed potato bar with an artisan cheese tray, house salad, and bread & butter. Y'all. This food blew everyone away. As soon as the wedding ended and we went to take pictures, one of their lovely servers came out with hors d'oeuvres plates for my husband and I to make sure we ate. It was so sweet. They helped set up before the wedding and their staff were the best we worked with for all of our multi-staffed vendors. The waitresses brought my husband and I our plates when we sat down, and y'all, I thought the chicken was good. The filet we switched to was life changing. It was all awesome and everyone seemed to really enjoy the staff and really LOVE the food. This was our biggest purchase, and my family are big foodies, so I'm glad we went with Donovan's. After we got back from our honeymoon, I was cleaning and I actually found a card from Donovan's Dish saying thank you with a gift card inside, which was SO sweet and so awesome. I'm extremely impressed and glad that my husband and I will actually be living a little closer to their storefront, so hopefully we can stop by and get some good eats to bring back home with us soon!

Brittney · Married on 04/07/2018

Donovan's Dish was wonderful! We first experienced their food at a wedding event at The Stockroom - after that we were sold. The team was very responsive and helped us plan a great meal for our wedding. We went with stations and served Shrimp and Grits (to die for) and Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken. The team that worked our wedding was incredible. They provided top notch service and everything went perfectly. It's been a month and we are still getting compliments on the Shrimp and Grits! Thank you!

Donovan's Dish 3
    Donovan's Dish 4

Michelle · Married on 11/04/2017

Donovan's was a no brainer and we knew immediately during our tasting that we had to hire them! They were so easy to work with and did not disappoint at our wedding. Melissa made the planning process easy and fun. She attended the final walk through and helped us map out where everything would be. The day of the wedding they quickly flipped the room we had our ceremony in setting up the buffet all while serving for cocktail hour. Our guests raved about the food. They also took such good care of me and my (now) husband. One of the servers brought out appetizers to us during cocktail hour while we were doing photos away from guests. She also waited patiently until our photographer said we could take a quick break since we were on a time crunch due to lighting. Even though it was a buffet, Melissa had our dinner delivered to us at the head table. The staff ensured everything ran smoothly and there was never a long line. They even packed up to go plates for us at the end of the night to enjoy after the wedding. I was so thankful for that little detail! I can't say enough about the food and the sweet staff. I love that they have the take out markets so we can enjoy the food we had at our wedding whenever we want. My mom has already demanded that any time she visits us or we visit her in Georgia that we have a tub of their pimento cheese for her. I can't thank Donovan's Dish enough for their delicious work!!

Laura · Married on 10/21/2017

WOW. We booked Donovan's Dish for our wedding and it was by far the best wedding food I have ever tasted! Our guests raved about it, and I wish I hadn't been running on so much adrenaline so that I could have enjoyed more of it! Melissa and the team made our planning process very straightforward. They were extremely accommodating for our guests with (sometimes strange) food restrictions; I had a guest that needed no onions, egg, and garlic, and Melissa made it happen with only a week's notice. My only suggestion to future couples would be to make sure that you can take some food home afterwards- I had thought we could do this but I don't think we brought the right containers to do so. I highly recommend Donovan's if you're looking for delicious staples with a southern touch. I wanted to have some thematically appropriate food without it being too heavy, and they did a wonderful job! Thank you!

Megan · Married on 10/14/2017

We were lucky enough to have Donovan’s Dish cater our wedding on October 14, 2017. Our 130 guest raved about how accommodating the staff were and how delicious the food was. The staff and our Catering Coordinator, Kim, were a dream to work with over our engagement. She made the entire process easy, pleasant and continuously went above and beyond to ensure that our foodie vision came to life and the food was perfect. She happily met with us whenever we asked and answered countless emails. I can’t speak enough about how special the staff and Donovan’s made us and our guests feel. Highly recommend- it was truly the perfect service and foodie experience for us and our guests

Theresa · Married on 07/14/2017

Oh my gosh, I cannot say enough wonderful things about the food and the staff here!! The guests raved over our heavy hors d'oeuvres wedding reception. Just a few of the standout favorites were the pork sliders, the goat cheese quesadillas with mango salsa, the bourbon meatballs, the chicken tzatziki skewers.... But even more amazing than the food was the quality of service from each and every staff member. They all truly went above and beyond to help in any way possible, they were the MOST FRIENDLY catering staff (to ALL our guests!) that I have ever encountered. Simply a top notch company all around.

• Julia

Julia · Married on 05/05/2017

The team at Donovan's Dish provided catering for our rehearsal dinner and we recommend them highly. From the taste testing we had in their store to the completion of the rehearsal dinner, everything was handled professionally and deliciously! My fiancé was hesitant about shrimp and grits since he has traditionally eaten them at a local restaurant. The moment he tasted the DD version, he was in love. Our menu was creative and they were very flexible working with us on our personal wishes and dietary concerns for guests. We were extremely pleased with how promptly they responded to communication and how professionally they handled things at the event. Food was superb!

Beth · Married on 12/03/2016

Great food, great service, great staff, Donovan's was absolutely fabulous all around! We had a great experience with Donovan's from start to finish. They offered us an initial tasting where we were able to try all sorts of their delicious food. The quality of the food is undeniable. Maureen was responsive, accommodating, and extremely helpful in the entire planning process. The wait staff at the wedding were fabulous, and made sure our guests were taken care of. The staff made sure we had plenty of food and were well-fed! They were everything and more we could have hoped for in a caterer. Most of our guests commented on how incredible the food was. This isn't your standard bland and boring wedding food, if you want to feed your guests well, go with Donovan's!

Leanne · Married on 11/19/2016

When you're constantly craving your wedding food, months after the big day - that's a good sign right? :) All of our wedding guests LOVED the food and have said it's by far the best food. Some of our wedding guests have even visited DD's Take-Out Market for another bite.

From the beginning, Donovan's Dish was responsive, friendly, professional and flexible with all of our requests. They even worked to keep us within budget. At our wedding cocktail hour and reception, the DD staff is very professional and kind. The buffet food display is gorgeous and their signature attire is awesome too! The only (minor) downfall - we provided the booze and DD provided the mixers and sodas. Donovan's Dish ran out of sodas/juices half way through our wedding reception. Donovan's Dish was very accommodating and quickly fixed the problem. This was a minor error and not a big deal; our guests carried on with the party. At least we didn't run out of the good stuff :)

Without a doubt, I'd recommend Donovan's Dish for any wedding or event. I'm excited for a chance to use DD again in the future!

Cathy · Married on 10/15/2016

We absolutely loved working with Donovan's Dish for our wedding. Throughout the planning process they were professional, responsive, and friendly. Melissa was incredibly organized and also helped us with other aspects of the wedding including wording for our menu. The food was AMAZING from the salad to the buffet. Every single guest raved that it wasn't "wedding food" but tasted like they were at a restaurant. The servers were incredibly friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to bring extra food or drinks to people who needed them. They also wrapped all of the leftovers into handy to go boxes for us and we enjoyed them the next night. We could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding!

Megan · Married on 09/23/2016

What can I say....I will always go to Donovan's Dish First for any event catering. Not only is the food spectacular working with Melissa was a pleasure. She has the best sense of humor and is extremely organized and thought of things I didn't. I enjoyed her phone calls and emails. Most of all they accommodated us after an issue with another catering company we had originally hired. They previous company we hired was nothing like Donovan's Dish. Donovan's Dish was professional, honest and dependable. I can't wait to work with them again in the future.

Jasmine · Married on 07/03/2016

Considering our particular menu needs, I knew going in that we were not going to be the easiest clients to work with for our wedding but Donovan's Dish met, surpassed, blew our expectations out of the water with the quality of their food, their professional planning and execution, and their exceptional service. Serving a New Orleans themed menu to cooks from New Orleans was asking a lot but Melissa and her team did an amazing job. The food was so good, I didn't mind risking spilling gumbo and shrimp creole on my wedding dress (which I did). They were also incredibly accommodating of last minute changes to our menu and they worked hard to make our vision a delicious reality. I'll be excited for a chance to use their services again in the future.

• Megan

Megan · Married on 06/18/2016

From the very beginning the professionalism was out of this world. We had met with a few other caterers who seemed all about the business and not very personable. We hadn't heard of Donovoan's Dish until TWO of our vendors had recommended them to us (Thank you Renee Sprink & Paula from Party Reflections!) Our first meeting was held at their previous catering location. They invited us into their kitchen where a beautifully displayed table was set for four. We first met with the catering manager Melissa, who by the way was amazingly organized, patient, and just wonderful through out our entire engagement. She truly loves her job and joy radiates from her when you speak with her. We had the pleasure of meeting Chef TJ who cooked us portions of the three entrees we chose and his most popular hors d'oeuvres, oh did I mention there was wine, candle light, and Frank Sinatra playing in the background? It was an amazing experience to be in the presence of someone who has such a passion and love for cooking. We were sold right then and there. This is more than a catering company, it is a family. Jill and her team are one of a kind and they take care of you like you are one of their own. Nico and I feel so lucky to have been able to work with such spectacular people for our special day. We had a plated dinner of 175 and our whole night ran so smoothly thanks to them. The service was impeccable, the food was beyond delicious, and we couldn't be happier with our decision to have them cater our wedding! I could go on and on, but to the future brides and grooms do not look any further! Donovan's Dish is the real deal.

Carrie · Married on 05/29/2016

Zach and I cannot say enough great things about Donovan's Dish. From the beginning, they were responsive, professional, friendly, and flexible with all of our menu tweaks. After leaving our tasting, we were sold. The food was expertly prepared and delicious. We liked our tasting so much we ended up using them for our couples shower and wedding. We received so many compliments throughout both events. The staff was amazing. Even other vendors were impressed with how well they handled the flow of service and made sure to find every last silverware at the end of the night so we were charged extra from our rental people. I think Donovan's Dish was one of the easiest, stress free decisions we made during the planning process.

Lauren · Married on 04/29/2016

There is no doubt that the quality of the food at a wedding can make or break the success of the evening. We are four days out from the wedding and I am still getting accolades from family and friends raving about how good the food was. Not only was the food presented beautifully, it was served by a staff like no other. The quality and preparation of the meals were incredible. We chose to do stations, which was an awesome alternative to the buffet line. The only regrets from our guests, were that they were too full to try everything because it all looked so good. If I had to say anything bad, is that there were too many awesome choices to just pick a few from when planning the menu!

Harper · Married on 12/05/2015

I cannot say enough positive comments about Donovan's Dish. Jill and her team did an amazing job from day one. She was responsive, patient, accommodating, and full of great ideas. On the day of the wedding, the servers were on point. They were polite, professional, and made sure that my husband and I took time to eat during cocktail hour and during the reception. Our guests spoke highly of the service, as well. Most importantly, the food was wonderful. From shrimp and grits to pasta to ham biscuits, our guests could not stop talking about how delicious everything was. I would love to host another event just to have Donovan's Dish cater.

Meaghan · Married on 11/07/2015

I want to host another big event just so I can use Donovan's Dish again! We used them for our wedding at The Stockroom in November and can't say enough good things about this team. Our decision was pretty much made from our first meeting when they set up a tasting for us. Other companies rushed us and wanted decisions on the spot. Not DD, they served courses, talked to us about the ingredients and shared stories of other weddings they'd worked. The food at our wedding was wonderful (people are still talking about it a month later!), the staff was super professional, and the service/presentation was flawless. My husband and I were never without a drink thanks to this staff, and they had full plates ready and waiting at our seats so we did actually get to eat on our wedding day! I really enjoyed working with Melissa throughout the planning process - she answered questions I didn't know I had, made great recommendations, and even coordinated with my other vendors to cover the all the details. DD is a bit pricier than some of the other caterers we looked at, but I can tell you they are worth every penny!

Katie · Married on 10/24/2015

I wish I could give Donovan's Dish ten stars for their catering service at our wedding! From the initial tasting down to the last minute of the ceremony, their professionalism and kindness was outstanding. And lets now forget how GREAT the food was during our event! My husband as well as many guests at our wedding work in the food industry and everyone commented on how impressed they were with the quality of the meal. They made sure to give us (bride and groom) separate plates so we also had time to enjoy the food. I can honestly saw that we have never worked with a better catering company and would highly recommend them for any catered event!

Tiffany · Married on 10/10/2015

We are so glad we chose Donovan's Dish for our wedding. Bottom line: SEVERAL people told us it was the best wedding food they'd ever had. That should be enough! But there's more...

We had some guests with special dietary needs, and Melissa was on top of it, they even made a special dish for those guests and brought it to them! And, they brought me and my husband our plates first, so we could actually eat our meal with our friends (stereotypes about not eating at your wedding be damned! We ate, and it was delicious).

The staff were all lovely and nice, and worked really fast to flip everything over during cocktails so that everything was perfectly on time.

5 Stars!
    Tiffany and Steve

Lynne · Married on 10/22/2016

Donovan's dish bus amazing!! All of our wedding guests raved about the food! Melissa was very easy to work with!! Don't miss the shrimp and grits!!

Jamie · Married on 07/15/2017

We worked with Donovan's Dish for our recent wedding in July. From the moment we reached out to them, their customer service was amazing! They helped us work through our menu selections, were very patient on the timeframe, and were very helpful when teaming up with other vendors related to dining (such as linens, rentals, etc.). The catering manager that we worked with was very friendly and helpful through the whole process, up until the day of our wedding. They even attended the vendor review meeting with the coordinator and all other vendors, and it was very helpful to walk through the timeline of our day and understand how their service will be provided to us and our guests.
    We highly recommend Donovan's Dish to any bride and groom planning their upcoming wedding. Not only was the service outstanding, but the food was absolutely delicious! We received many compliments on the food, and some local guests even visited the store front after the wedding to purchase some of the packaged food for their weekly meals. Amazing!
    Such a great experience working with Donavan's Dish, thank you.

The Sutherland Estate & Gardens
    July 15, 2017

Summer · Married on 05/20/2017

DD catered our wedding reception and we are thrilled with our decision to hire them! When I first started putting out feelers for caterers I was impressed by how quickly Jill repsonded to my inquiries and her willingness to accommodate my budget requests. Jill helped me put together my menu and we couldn't have been happier with it. Our entire menu was delicious but the Signature Stuffed Chicken was PHENOMENAL and I will definitely be ordering it from their take home menu again. I had originally set out to keep my budget around $2500, which only allowed for drop off service and Jill was more than happy to make sure that we would have a great dinner selection on our budget. We later decided to add servers and a bartender and it was worth every extra penny! We were lucky to have Jill as our on-site manager and she helped keep our reception flowing and on schedule. Our original catering coordinator left DD just a couple weeks before the wedding, but Melissa picked up where she left off beautifully as if she had been working on our wedding the entire time! Jill and Melissa went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed for the food/drinks at the reception, as well as, advised me on other areas of the reception. All of our guests were very pleased with the food and service and we would definitely recommend Donovan's Dish to any one. We look forward to another opportunity to use them!!