Donovan's Dish Reviews

Donovan's Dish 5
  • Daniel

Daniel Sawyer-Byrd · Married on 03/09/2019

Amazingly Delicious!

Jill, Kim, Becca and the entire Donovan’s Dish team were fantastic to work with! They were extremely responsive and reliable from the day we started working with them, and the food blew everyone away. From the moment that we met with them, we knew that we were in good hands – they listened to what was important to us and helped us create a menu that fit our style. On the day of the wedding, everything was flawless and executed just like we wanted. We had many of our guests ask about the catering because the food was so great! They worked amazingly with the rest of our vendors and we could not recommend them enough! The bottom line is that they are the best at what they do and certainly worth the investment.

Sent on 04/11/2019

Sarah · Married on 02/17/2019

Delicious food and excellent service

From start to finish, Donovan's Dish was a wonderful caterer. We hired them for our wedding after an excellent tasting and meeting with Kim. We worked with Becca to plan a rehearsal party in addition to the wedding, and she was always responsive, thorough, attentive, and a pleasure to work with. She helped us plan the perfect layout for our venue and worked with us to set up a few personal touches (like a champagne table and passed shots). On the day of the wedding, the Donovan's staff was professional and friendly, and the food was top notch. We've received a lot of compliments from our guests about the tasty dinner and our late night snack of chicken and waffles. We couldn't ask for anything more; they did a fantastic job!

Sent on 03/03/2019

Amanda olson · Married on 12/29/2018

Delicious, delicious, delicious

I tasted a few caterers before booking Donovan's Dish and am SO happy I waited! Everyone enjoyed the food at my wedding. They offer a tasting in their shop, help plan an amazing menu, and are amazing to work with. Kim & Becca were so helpful when I was finalizing my rentals and answered all of my questions promptly. AMAZING SERVICE, AMAZING FOOD, JUST AMAZING!

Sent on 01/05/2019
  • Cassie

Cassie · Married on 11/17/2018

Amazing Experience!

Donovan's Dish catered our wedding and did a PHENOMENAL job! We had a mingle-style wedding with no assigned seating and opted for food stations.

SERVICE: Donovan's was the most friendly, prompt and efficient vendor that we had. Leading up to our wedding, Kim was always prompt in responding to any questions we had, and she was the ultimate problem solver. She was very helpful with our interesting set-up, offering tips as to how to appropriately manage cocktail hour and dinner and suggestions as to popular food items. She went out of her way to make sure our experience was a personal one, and she seemed genuinely excited about catering our event. On our wedding day, everything went perfectly. The Donovan's crew was very friendly and efficient. The bartenders in particular were amazing!!

FOOD: Not only were the stations so fun and the servers extremely friendly, the food was absolutely delicious (and we are VERY picky about food). In particular, our guests raved about the shrimp and grits! Donovan's gave us a few extra trays of the shrimp and grits to take home, and we ate them for four meals straight haha! They are that good.

In sum, we cannot recommend Donovan's enough. They did a fantastic job, and we could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding!!!

Sent on 11/26/2018

Lynn · Married on 10/20/2018

Fantastic FOOD and service

We are big foodies and knew that this would be super important that we get right at our wedding. Not messing around with food! We went to a catering showcase at The Cloth Mill in Hillsborough, NC and were first introduced to Donovan’s Dish there. We were blown away by their Signature Shrimp and Grits dish! The best ever. The bride is Vietnamese and wanted Asian appetizers during the outdoor cocktail hour. We weren’t sure if they could pull this off well, since it wasn’t on their regular menu, but they came up with some amazing ideas and they turned out perfect! We got lots of compliments on the food (taste, presentation) and friendly service. They thoughtfully prepared a large to-go box for us to enjoy the next day before leaving on our honeymoon and we got to have all of our wedding food and cake over again, in comfy clothes! One of the bonuses is that they also run a Take-Out market so we can have those shrimp and grits again and relive our amazing day. Thank you, Donovan's Dish!

Sent on 12/29/2018
  • Cheryl

cheryl · Married on 10/20/2018

Best Local Caterer!

After several food tastings, DD delivered big time! We had a few requests not on the menu options thst they made happen! They provided our beer and wine last minute without issue and were a pleasure to work with. Our guests all complimented the food and thought it was exceptional. Our biscuit bar was a huge hit! Presentation was wonderful! I highly recommend Donovans Dish!

Sent on 01/08/2019
    Donovan's Dish 6
    Donovan's Dish 7
  • HappilyMarried18

Erika · Married on 10/13/2018

Yummy Food

I enjoyed working with Donovan's Dish. Kim Sikkel is a sweetheart. I unfortunately had to deal with one lost check and then they took weeks to process my second one, which was pretty frustrating (apparently it was just sitting around never deposited). Besides that, I had no issues. I appreciated all the assistance provided by the staff on site. They were extremely professional, pleasant, and attentive. My food was good but some of it was luke-warm/cold (like the bourbon meatballs). I wish it would've been piping hot, but that's OK. The menu was delicious. Just be aware that they throw the food out almost immediately if you don't have to-go boxes. In essence- say yes to Donovan's Dish. The displays were superb, the staff is professional, and their food is just too good to pass up!

Sent on 02/09/2019
    Donovan's Dish 8

Sarah · Married on 09/02/2018

Excellent variety of choices

I really appreciated working with Kim in the planning on all the details. The tasting was great and they were great to work within our budget. I really like that they have a takeout storefront. We plan on ordering from them to celebrate our anniversaries.

Sent on 12/25/2018

Laura · Married on 08/25/2018

Donovan's Dish catered our wedding at The Cookery in Durham, and they did a phenomenal job. Soon after our initial tasting, we began working with Kim. She was so kind, responsive, patient, and attentive to details. The day of the wedding, Sarah was our event manager and she also did an awesome job. Donovan's was so flexible and worked with us to create the perfect event--we had our ceremony and reception in the same room, and they seamlessly flipped the room during our cocktail hour. We also received many compliments on the food. We had a plated salad at the table and then food stations with shrimp and grits, short ribs with truffled mashed potatoes, and pimento cheese stuffed chicken with the best corn and tomato salad. I'm so happy to have worked with Donovan's Dish!

Sent on 08/31/2018

Julia · Married on 07/22/2018

Best experience ever! We loved working with Donovan's Dish. Jill did our initial consultation and tasting, which was fabulous. The shrimp and grits CANNOT be beat! We worked with Kim for the rest of our planning process and she was so nice, helpful, and just easy to be around. DD was incredibly professional, sleek, and kind at our wedding reception and cocktail hour. They also left a card for us in our card box to recreate our wedding menu in the future! The food was absolutely delicious and all of our guests raved about it - even prepared for a crowd, it still tasted amazing. I cannot recommend enough! Our experience was phenomenal.

Sent on 08/02/2018

Caitlin · Married on 06/12/2018

We LOVED Donovan's Dish! We tried two caterers that fit into our budget for our wedding and Donovan's Dish knocked it out of the park. We tried them first and the woman we worked with (who no longer works there) told us to make sure we ask any other vendors that we try if they provide all of the materials to prepare and present the food. The next vendor we went to provided none of the materials needed, and we would've easily spent another $500+ on rentals on top of an already more expensive caterer. The food was phenomenal. We tried their prosciutto stuffed chicken and braised short ribs with a vegetable medley and roasted fingerling potatoes. Their food is top-tier, fanciest of fancy quality. We ended up going with the chicken, switching to a bistro filet (their summer version of the braised short ribs), the vegetables, and a mashed potato bar with an artisan cheese tray, house salad, and bread & butter. Y'all. This food blew everyone away. As soon as the wedding ended and we went to take pictures, one of their lovely servers came out with hors d'oeuvres plates for my husband and I to make sure we ate. It was so sweet. They helped set up before the wedding and their staff were the best we worked with for all of our multi-staffed vendors. The waitresses brought my husband and I our plates when we sat down, and y'all, I thought the chicken was good. The filet we switched to was life changing. It was all awesome and everyone seemed to really enjoy the staff and really LOVE the food. This was our biggest purchase, and my family are big foodies, so I'm glad we went with Donovan's. After we got back from our honeymoon, I was cleaning and I actually found a card from Donovan's Dish saying thank you with a gift card inside, which was SO sweet and so awesome. I'm extremely impressed and glad that my husband and I will actually be living a little closer to their storefront, so hopefully we can stop by and get some good eats to bring back home with us soon!

Sent on 07/08/2018

Brittney · Married on 04/07/2018

Donovan's Dish was wonderful! We first experienced their food at a wedding event at The Stockroom - after that we were sold. The team was very responsive and helped us plan a great meal for our wedding. We went with stations and served Shrimp and Grits (to die for) and Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken. The team that worked our wedding was incredible. They provided top notch service and everything went perfectly. It's been a month and we are still getting compliments on the Shrimp and Grits! Thank you!

Sent on 05/02/2018
    Donovan's Dish 9
    Donovan's Dish 10

Michelle · Married on 11/04/2017

Donovan's was a no brainer and we knew immediately during our tasting that we had to hire them! They were so easy to work with and did not disappoint at our wedding. Melissa made the planning process easy and fun. She attended the final walk through and helped us map out where everything would be. The day of the wedding they quickly flipped the room we had our ceremony in setting up the buffet all while serving for cocktail hour. Our guests raved about the food. They also took such good care of me and my (now) husband. One of the servers brought out appetizers to us during cocktail hour while we were doing photos away from guests. She also waited patiently until our photographer said we could take a quick break since we were on a time crunch due to lighting. Even though it was a buffet, Melissa had our dinner delivered to us at the head table. The staff ensured everything ran smoothly and there was never a long line. They even packed up to go plates for us at the end of the night to enjoy after the wedding. I was so thankful for that little detail! I can't say enough about the food and the sweet staff. I love that they have the take out markets so we can enjoy the food we had at our wedding whenever we want. My mom has already demanded that any time she visits us or we visit her in Georgia that we have a tub of their pimento cheese for her. I can't thank Donovan's Dish enough for their delicious work!!

Sent on 12/01/2017

Laura · Married on 10/21/2017

WOW. We booked Donovan's Dish for our wedding and it was by far the best wedding food I have ever tasted! Our guests raved about it, and I wish I hadn't been running on so much adrenaline so that I could have enjoyed more of it! Melissa and the team made our planning process very straightforward. They were extremely accommodating for our guests with (sometimes strange) food restrictions; I had a guest that needed no onions, egg, and garlic, and Melissa made it happen with only a week's notice. My only suggestion to future couples would be to make sure that you can take some food home afterwards- I had thought we could do this but I don't think we brought the right containers to do so. I highly recommend Donovan's if you're looking for delicious staples with a southern touch. I wanted to have some thematically appropriate food without it being too heavy, and they did a wonderful job! Thank you!

Sent on 10/24/2017

Megan · Married on 10/14/2017

We were lucky enough to have Donovan’s Dish cater our wedding on October 14, 2017. Our 130 guest raved about how accommodating the staff were and how delicious the food was. The staff and our Catering Coordinator, Kim, were a dream to work with over our engagement. She made the entire process easy, pleasant and continuously went above and beyond to ensure that our foodie vision came to life and the food was perfect. She happily met with us whenever we asked and answered countless emails. I can’t speak enough about how special the staff and Donovan’s made us and our guests feel. Highly recommend- it was truly the perfect service and foodie experience for us and our guests

Sent on 11/07/2017

Theresa · Married on 07/14/2017

Oh my gosh, I cannot say enough wonderful things about the food and the staff here!! The guests raved over our heavy hors d'oeuvres wedding reception. Just a few of the standout favorites were the pork sliders, the goat cheese quesadillas with mango salsa, the bourbon meatballs, the chicken tzatziki skewers.... But even more amazing than the food was the quality of service from each and every staff member. They all truly went above and beyond to help in any way possible, they were the MOST FRIENDLY catering staff (to ALL our guests!) that I have ever encountered. Simply a top notch company all around.

Sent on 08/01/2017
  • Julia

Julia · Married on 05/05/2017

The team at Donovan's Dish provided catering for our rehearsal dinner and we recommend them highly. From the taste testing we had in their store to the completion of the rehearsal dinner, everything was handled professionally and deliciously! My fiancé was hesitant about shrimp and grits since he has traditionally eaten them at a local restaurant. The moment he tasted the DD version, he was in love. Our menu was creative and they were very flexible working with us on our personal wishes and dietary concerns for guests. We were extremely pleased with how promptly they responded to communication and how professionally they handled things at the event. Food was superb!

Sent on 05/22/2017

Beth · Married on 12/03/2016

Great food, great service, great staff, Donovan's was absolutely fabulous all around! We had a great experience with Donovan's from start to finish. They offered us an initial tasting where we were able to try all sorts of their delicious food. The quality of the food is undeniable. Maureen was responsive, accommodating, and extremely helpful in the entire planning process. The wait staff at the wedding were fabulous, and made sure our guests were taken care of. The staff made sure we had plenty of food and were well-fed! They were everything and more we could have hoped for in a caterer. Most of our guests commented on how incredible the food was. This isn't your standard bland and boring wedding food, if you want to feed your guests well, go with Donovan's!

Sent on 01/04/2017

Leanne · Married on 11/19/2016

When you're constantly craving your wedding food, months after the big day - that's a good sign right? :) All of our wedding guests LOVED the food and have said it's by far the best food. Some of our wedding guests have even visited DD's Take-Out Market for another bite.

From the beginning, Donovan's Dish was responsive, friendly, professional and flexible with all of our requests. They even worked to keep us within budget. At our wedding cocktail hour and reception, the DD staff is very professional and kind. The buffet food display is gorgeous and their signature attire is awesome too! The only (minor) downfall - we provided the booze and DD provided the mixers and sodas. Donovan's Dish ran out of sodas/juices half way through our wedding reception. Donovan's Dish was very accommodating and quickly fixed the problem. This was a minor error and not a big deal; our guests carried on with the party. At least we didn't run out of the good stuff :)

Without a doubt, I'd recommend Donovan's Dish for any wedding or event. I'm excited for a chance to use DD again in the future!

Sent on 03/22/2017

Cathy · Married on 10/15/2016

We absolutely loved working with Donovan's Dish for our wedding. Throughout the planning process they were professional, responsive, and friendly. Melissa was incredibly organized and also helped us with other aspects of the wedding including wording for our menu. The food was AMAZING from the salad to the buffet. Every single guest raved that it wasn't "wedding food" but tasted like they were at a restaurant. The servers were incredibly friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to bring extra food or drinks to people who needed them. They also wrapped all of the leftovers into handy to go boxes for us and we enjoyed them the next night. We could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding!

Sent on 09/30/2016

Megan · Married on 09/23/2016

What can I say....I will always go to Donovan's Dish First for any event catering. Not only is the food spectacular working with Melissa was a pleasure. She has the best sense of humor and is extremely organized and thought of things I didn't. I enjoyed her phone calls and emails. Most of all they accommodated us after an issue with another catering company we had originally hired. They previous company we hired was nothing like Donovan's Dish. Donovan's Dish was professional, honest and dependable. I can't wait to work with them again in the future.

Sent on 10/02/2016

Jasmine · Married on 07/03/2016

Considering our particular menu needs, I knew going in that we were not going to be the easiest clients to work with for our wedding but Donovan's Dish met, surpassed, blew our expectations out of the water with the quality of their food, their professional planning and execution, and their exceptional service. Serving a New Orleans themed menu to cooks from New Orleans was asking a lot but Melissa and her team did an amazing job. The food was so good, I didn't mind risking spilling gumbo and shrimp creole on my wedding dress (which I did). They were also incredibly accommodating of last minute changes to our menu and they worked hard to make our vision a delicious reality. I'll be excited for a chance to use their services again in the future.

Sent on 12/13/2016
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 06/18/2016

From the very beginning the professionalism was out of this world. We had met with a few other caterers who seemed all about the business and not very personable. We hadn't heard of Donovoan's Dish until TWO of our vendors had recommended them to us (Thank you Renee Sprink & Paula from Party Reflections!) Our first meeting was held at their previous catering location. They invited us into their kitchen where a beautifully displayed table was set for four. We first met with the catering manager Melissa, who by the way was amazingly organized, patient, and just wonderful through out our entire engagement. She truly loves her job and joy radiates from her when you speak with her. We had the pleasure of meeting Chef TJ who cooked us portions of the three entrees we chose and his most popular hors d'oeuvres, oh did I mention there was wine, candle light, and Frank Sinatra playing in the background? It was an amazing experience to be in the presence of someone who has such a passion and love for cooking. We were sold right then and there. This is more than a catering company, it is a family. Jill and her team are one of a kind and they take care of you like you are one of their own. Nico and I feel so lucky to have been able to work with such spectacular people for our special day. We had a plated dinner of 175 and our whole night ran so smoothly thanks to them. The service was impeccable, the food was beyond delicious, and we couldn't be happier with our decision to have them cater our wedding! I could go on and on, but to the future brides and grooms do not look any further! Donovan's Dish is the real deal.

Sent on 07/01/2016

Carrie · Married on 05/29/2016

Zach and I cannot say enough great things about Donovan's Dish. From the beginning, they were responsive, professional, friendly, and flexible with all of our menu tweaks. After leaving our tasting, we were sold. The food was expertly prepared and delicious. We liked our tasting so much we ended up using them for our couples shower and wedding. We received so many compliments throughout both events. The staff was amazing. Even other vendors were impressed with how well they handled the flow of service and made sure to find every last silverware at the end of the night so we were charged extra from our rental people. I think Donovan's Dish was one of the easiest, stress free decisions we made during the planning process.

Sent on 07/05/2016

Lauren · Married on 04/29/2016

There is no doubt that the quality of the food at a wedding can make or break the success of the evening. We are four days out from the wedding and I am still getting accolades from family and friends raving about how good the food was. Not only was the food presented beautifully, it was served by a staff like no other. The quality and preparation of the meals were incredible. We chose to do stations, which was an awesome alternative to the buffet line. The only regrets from our guests, were that they were too full to try everything because it all looked so good. If I had to say anything bad, is that there were too many awesome choices to just pick a few from when planning the menu!

Sent on 05/03/2016