67 Reviews for Darlene's Specialty Cakes

Setup (1)
Nut Free (1)
Fresh Fruit (1)
67 Darlene's Specialty Cakes Reviews

Darlene provided the wedding cake and cupcakes for my son and daughter-in-law's wedding earlier this month. To say it was perfect would be an understatement! Darlene provided exactly what the bride wanted and everybody raved at the flavors of the cake/cupcakes (we had three different flavor cupcakes) and at how beautifully put together it was. In fact, one person commented that it was the best they had ever had (and, I must agree!)! Thank you, Darlene, for making a special day even more special!

Profile Picture Cathie, 8/7/16, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene was great to work with. From the initial contact to the tasting to the delivery and set up of the cake, Darlene was totally professional and efficient and fun to work with. The cake was lovely even though she had to bring it on a 100 + degree day. She artfully arranged the flowers I brought and the whole look was beautiful. The cake was delicious. We had two flavors, and they were equally good. I highly recommend her.

Profile Picture User7076204, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

Look no further...pick Darlene!! Cake was phenomenal!! Our guests are still talking about just how great the cake was. Perfect size...no leftovers!

Profile Picture Trudy, 7/16/16, 1 Review
Services Used: Delivery, Setup, Cakes

Darlene's cake are delicious! I received so many compliments on my traditional vanilla on vanilla cake. I know it sounds boring but trust me it was delicious...just a hint of Almond paste, very classic. We were initially going to go with something more exotic but when we tasted the vanilla there was no turning back, The cake was moist and the buttercream frosting was just right, not too sweet not to plain. The cherry on the sundae was the price! I comparison shopped and Darlene's was by far the best value. Thanks Darlene!

Profile Picture Stephanie, 7/15/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene is the best! Ever since I requested pricing on the wedding wire to get more information, Darlene has been so efficient, very responsive and very very flexible!! I can't tell you how many times I kept shooting new ideas to her and switching up the size of the cake and she was always was so flexible and very helpful. And of course her cake was very delicious. The wedding cake turned out so beautifully I couldn't have dreamed of a more perfect wedding cake. Oh and she was very reasonable with pricing and getting you the most for your money :)

Profile Picture Enuma , 6/18/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene made the cake for my wedding. It was beautiful and delicious. We had a different flavor on each tier and everyone loved it so much there was nothing left my the end of the night. I provided a photo of the design I wanted and Darlene was able to capture what I was looking for. The tasting was great. She provided a bunch of cake flavors, fillings and toppings. They were all delicious and we were stuffed by the end of it. After my rsvps were in I had to reduce the size of the cake. Darlene was very amenable to making the change. I would definitely recommend her for a wedding or event. Oh, and she offers a complementary top cake tier for your anniversary a year from your event, so you don't have to eat frozen cake for your anniversary. ??

Profile Picture Jill, 5/29/16, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

I live in CA and was having my sons first birthday in Manassas VA so I googled a few places for custom cakes I was not in pressed some didn't even respond. I found Darlenes Specialty Cakes and I'm so glad I did I can't express how happy I am she responded to my emails promptly and the cake was exactly what I had pictured, it was beautiful and it tasted amazing I hope to use her again for future birthdays!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Jessica, 4/23/16, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene has been a pleasure to work with so far! She has been very easy to get a hold of, and though my fiance is doing most of the cake planning, he has all nice things to say! She worked with us, looking at pictures, to create the cake of our Pinterest wedding dreams! The cake options we selected sound amazing, and I can't wait to see and eat it!

Profile Picture Maria, 3/26/16, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Nut Free, Fresh Fruit, Cakes

The free tasting Darlene provides is very helpful in selecting the cake and icing flavors. Her prices are reasonable. She was always available to answer questions about the cake, the decorations, and the delivery! I didn't get to see the cake until I entered our wedding reception. It was done exactly how I imagined! Most delicious cake ever! We will definitely use Darlene again for our special occasion cakes.
Terri M.

Profile Picture terri, 1/16/16, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

Delicious, delicious, delicious... did we mention delicious?

The cake was as delicious as it was beautiful. We had a five-tier cake (for 200 people) with four flavors. Our guests have not stopped complementing on how scrumptious it was. We chose a chocolate w/raspberry preserve, chocolate/chocolate ganache, pineapple cococunt, and an almond layer. Darlene was very open to our suggestions and treated us with professionalism and enthusiasm for cake. It was the perfect ending to our wedding and we're still enjoying the last remaining pieces!

Profile Picture Cynthia & Justin, 11/7/15, 6 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene and her cakes are amazing!!!! She did the cake for my younger sister's wedding, so it was an easy choice to have her handle my wedding cake. Not only was it DELICIOUS, but it was also absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! I received SO many compliments on it. Darlene was so easy to work with and so reliable and affordable to top it off, I definitely recommend her if you're looking for the perfect wedding cake!!! (or a cake for any other special occasion for that matter!)

Profile Picture User5288620, 2+ years ago, 7 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene is absolutely fantastic! She met with us and our family to taste all of the cake options and discuss the designs we wanted. She also is very reasonably priced when compared to other bakers. It was an absolute no-brainer going with Darlene. The cake was delivered on-time, was beautiful, and was absolutely delicious! We also had a Bengals themed groom's cake which was adorable as well. We highly recommend Darlene!!!

Profile Picture User4470098, 2+ years ago, 7 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene is wonderful! We had a wonderful tasting with fresh cupcakes and icing to pick our cake type. She worked with us to meet our tight budget and create a beautiful cake. The cake arrived on time and looked exactly as we had hoped! Highly recommended!

Profile Picture User5211559, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

When we got married, we wanted to support our local businesses. We found Darlene's name on Wedding Wire and liked what we saw. When I met Darlene, I thought she was a very pleasant person with a passion for her cakes. We went with the Strawberry with Strawberry cake and it was absolutely fabulous!!! We can't say enough about how good it was and everyone at the wedding loved it as well. It was also beautiful AND tasted great! What more could you want?

Bob & Cindy

Profile Picture Bob, 5/23/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

I had a chocolate wedding cake with chocolate fudge filling and white buttercream on the outside. I am not a fan of buttercream but she makes her own and it is pretty good. I told her that I want it thick enough so people don't know that it is a chocolate cake and it was. Also I showed her I wanted a specific design which is pretty complex, it won an award over in Britain and the cake that won cost $7,000. I asked her is she thought she could do it and she did. I had a few changes. So the design was flowers draping down from the top like moss, and then each layer was like a scene of a field with flowers and grass and at the bottom would be a cat and bunny. This is made out of all buttercream using our color of turquoise/teal. She made the buttercream look like it was made out of fondant, which I have never seen before. In addition, she added numbers to some of the flower's leaves in a super elegant way and when I told my friends about the numbers they all said it would be tacky but it wasn't (inside joke with my husband in how we met-auditing class). She did an amazing job. Everything was lovely and delicious. Everybody said they have never had a chocolate cake that tasted this good. So I got the design of a $7k cake for much much less. Everything was perfect. I wish I could post a picture of it now to show you. She is extremely accommodating in setting up an appointment. When I called her I only had one weekend open to meet her and she re-arranged her schedule to meet me and do a cake testing. I was having major surgery so it had to be that day and she did it. She is a very nice person and also very talented. I highly recommend her. She also offers you a free anniversary cake. I bought a cake for 140 people.

Profile Picture User5113325, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene was a pleasure to work with from beginning to end! At our tasting, she provided many giant cupcakes in a variety of flavors (some gluten-free for my husband). They were all delicious and she seemed knowledgeable and passionate about what she does, so we decided to hire her for our wedding cake.

We requested a simple cake design and left a bundle of fake flower stems and a pair of scissors on the table for when she arrived on the day of the wedding. It seemed like a tall order to decorate on the fly, but the cake came out just as I imagined. And, despite opting to have the entire cake made gluten free (rather than just one of the tiers), it was still delicious and nobody knew the difference ;)

Profile Picture User3719215, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene made my wedding cake, which was on Valentine's Day. I already had a 3 tiered design picked out with wine glasses holding up the top tier. It was unique, but very simple. Darlene was able to replicate it perfectly and everyone loved it. Darlene's efforts definitely showed. We went with the strawberry and vanilla cake with strawberry preserves and bavarian creme and both were simply delicious. The buttercream frosting complimented the cake very well. We had some leftover and it was still great days later. I would highly recommend Darlene for your wedding cake. She is very talented and the cakes taste great!

Profile Picture Frances, 2/14/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene made our wedding cake and cupcakes for our wedding this weekend and they were amazing. She met with us beforehand to let us try flavors and coordinated the tiered display with our wedding colors to make it unique and personalized for our special day. We had four different flavors and every one was absolutely delicious. It also allowed each guest to have a perfect sized dessert and the variety of flavors let us make sure that thee would be something everyone liked. We absolutely love that we get a one year anniversary cake so that we were able to enjoy and eat he wedding cake Saturday without worrying about saving any. We would definitely choose Darlene again for special occasion cake needs!

Profile Picture Elyssa, 10/11/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene is really easy to work with and her prices are very reasonable. On top of that, the cake is delicious and beautiful. Everyone at my party raved about the wedding cake. We had 3 different layers with 3 different flavors and a raspberry filling. What is even better is that she will give us a complimentary 1 year anniversary cake on our anniversary so we didn't have to save/freeze any of our cake. We can't wait to eat that cake :). I've already ordered another cake for a baby shower I am throwing for my friend.

Profile Picture User4433746, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene did a wonderful job and the cake turned out beautiful and delicious! There was a lot of communication up to the day and she took my wish list for my special purple & bling themed wedding cake and made it come true. Needless to say the cake was devoured and everyone loved it.

We had 3 different layers with different flavors and a raspberry filling in the top layer. What is even better is that we hava a complimentary 1 year anniversary cake coming next year on our anniversary, so we didn't have to save/freeze any of our cake.

Definitely the best for specialty cakes anywhere.

Profile Picture Lisa, 8/23/14, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

My husband and I were very happy with the cake Darlene made for our wedding. We had a three-tier cake with butter cream frosting. We liked that we were able to pick different flavors for each level, and the frosting was great. Darlene also makes you a new cake for your one-year anniversary so you don't have to keep the top tier in your freezer. Darlene was professional and responsive throughout the entire process.

Profile Picture User4471173, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene did an AMAZING job on our wedding cake and a special grooms cake for my husband. Unlike many of the other wedding cake vendors we met with during the planning process, Darlene prepared huge cupcakes for us to try during our tasting, which is nice because we actually got a real feel for how the cake tasted. She was welcoming and so friendly that we didn't even get 10 minutes down the road before we emailed her back and booked her! Up until the wedding day, she was extremely responsive with any questions we had. When I had the idea to get my husband a Dallas Cowboys grooms cake, she provided ideas and suggestions. On the wedding day, I was overwhelmed with not only how good the cake tasted but how well the wedding cake looked to the picture I provided during our tasting. Our guest raved on (and are still raving) on how good the cake tasted! Darlene is exceptional and so glad we chose her to be apart of our vendor team!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 8/9/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

My mom found Darlene on Wedding Wire, and I'm so glad she did! Darlene was extremely professional, her cake was AMAZING, and her price is right. We didn't want to spend a fortune on a cake, but we still wanted something good. Darlene was just the person. She was totally reasonable with her price, and the cake looked and tasted great. We couldn't have been happier! I would recommend her to anyone looking for a delicious yet affordable wedding cake.

Profile Picture Emily, 5/24/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

I had a spring wedding and the style was rustic/vintage. Darlene exceeded my expectations with the perfect cake for my special day. The cake was very moist and everyone at the wedding was talking about how delicious it was.

Darlene was great to work with and very professional! She offers a large variety of flavors which are all very tasty!! I would definitely recommend her to my friends and family and plan on using her for my cake needs in the future!!

Profile Picture Lindsay, 5/17/14, 10 Reviews
Category: Wedding Cake

Darlene was great! She really worked with our budget and everyone loved the cake, cake pops, and cupcakes. She really knows what she is doing! :)

Profile Picture Helena, 10/6/13, 6 Reviews