Colony Club Detroit Reviews

62 | Detroit, MI

62 Reviews for Colony Club Detroit

Trisha · Married on 11/03/2018

Dream Venue

I could not say enough good things about the Colony Club. The appearance, the food, the staff - all of it was absolutely incredible! We've received SO many comments about how stunning the ballroom was and how delicious the food was - especially the appetizers! lol I know the main course is most important, but when you have hungry guests, cocktail hour is also important!

As far as the staff goes, we worked with Samantha Stant to make sure every detail of the wedding was perfect, then we had Molly Ellenberger as the coordinator the day of the wedding. They were both extremely helpful. Samantha helped get everything set in place and Molly helped execute!

I'd choose the Colony Club over and over again for our special day!

Rich · Married on 04/20/2018

We just had our wedding on the 4th floor of the Colony Club and we cannot say enough amazing things about the staff and the venue. First of all, the staff from day one was incredible. On our big day, Bertha did such an incredible job of making sure things went smoothly and we are so happy we got to work with her. Before Bertha, we worked with Sam and she too was absolutely fantastic in planning the event.

On our big day, my only concern was the fact that it was on the 4th floor and that space can be somewhat limited. We had about 100 people and with needing an elevator to go up and down, and also the restrooms on another floor, I thought it may be an issue. However, this is NOT the case. 100 people fit in there perfectly during our cocktail hour and of course during our reception, the elevators were super fast with a wonderful attendant, and no one minded the restrooms being on another floor at all. We had so many compliments on the lighting and the wonderful scene that the Colony Club set for us, and it truly was amazing. Oh and the food - WOW. It was incredible. You have to at least check out the Colony Club and I promise you won't be disappointed!

Jenna · Married on 08/05/2017

The food was amazing and the venue is so pretty. They had a beautiful cocktail hour display for us and everything was perfect. The only thing i wish they had was better elevators but other than that everything was perfect.

Amanda · Married on 02/24/2017

When we first visited The Colony Club, we were afraid it was out of our price range...I thought about booking our wedding there for about 6 weeks, all while pricing out other venues and let me tell you... for everything that is included when you book your wedding at The Colony Club, it is a STEAL and seriously WORTH EVERY PENNY. First, the ballrooms are breathtaking. We had our wedding in the 4th-floor petite ballroom because our guest list was relatively small, and the gorgeous crown moldings, art deco archways, and chandeliers took our guests' breath away. You hardly have to spend anything extra to decorate. The room rental includes high-quality linens and gold Tiffany chairs (which almost no one else includes), a premium bar and DELICIOUS menu options. Our wedding sales manager, Lauren, was very helpful and quick to respond. She delivered everything we asked for. The onsite team, including the lovely Rachelle, was a dream that helped with set up (and everything looked exactly as I had imagined) and coordination of everything from the rehearsal to the day-of timeline to wrapping up the dinner I was too excited to eat to making sure I always had a glass of champagne in hand :). If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. If you are contemplating hosting your wedding at The Colony Club, DO IT and DO IT NOW!

Carly · Married on 11/05/2016

Our wedding day at the Colony Club was perfection. We had our ceremony and reception for approximately 100 guests on the 4th Floor and could not be happier. The venue is stunning and the staff is amazing. From our first meeting with them to the final load out, they were nothing but accommodating and professional. We did not have a wedding planner or day-of coordinator because the Colony Club takes care of everything. It was also a huge help that they package everything together for one per person price - ivory linens, gold chiavari chairs, gold table numbers, beautiful furniture in the bar area, premium bar, late night snack etc. The fact that we did not have to make a lot of these individual decisions really helped keep stress at bay and made our wedding planning process easy. Our guests raved about the venue and multiple people told us it was the best wedding food they had ever had.

The 4th Floor Ballroom at the Colony Club was one of the only venues in the metro Detroit area that was affordable and accommodating to a somewhat smaller wedding. Because of the size of our guest list (about 100 people) we were priced out of most venues because the minimum spend was so high. The 4th Floor is the perfect size for less than 125 people.

Cassie · Married on 07/22/2016

After touring the Colony Club, my fiancé and I knew it was where we wanted to get married. The third floor ballroom is so elegant and the amount of upkeep they do to the building really shows - it is flawless. Everythjng about this venue is really a well oiled machine. We had both our ceremony and reception on the third floor and our cocktail hour downstairs. I worked with Lauren during the planning process and Bertha was our event manager for our wedding. Both of them were absolutely fantastic. I am an event manager myself so I am probably more OCD than most brides and communicated with Lauren quite a lot leading up to my wedding but she never showed any annoyance and always responded to my questions in a timely manner. Bertha was such a joy to work with on our wedding night and checked in with us just the right amount. She never let me have an empty drink. We received compliments from our guests on the professionalism and great service from the Colony Club staff and all around its just a very elegant venue. There is the potential to have two weddings at the same time here - one on the third floor and one on the fourth floor. I was a little worried about how that would work but I really didn't even notice the other wedding. I've read other comments about it being really hot here in the summer and I'd actually disagree. This is something I was worried about too and it ended up being about 95 degrees the day of our wedding. I danced all night and was definitely sweaty but not any more so than I would be if I danced somewhere for three hours in great AC. One of our guests did make a comment to us about it being hot, but I didn't think it was too bad. I'd highly recommend this venue and Lauren/Bertha to anyone looking for a beautiful place to have their wedding!

From the moment we set the date. The Colony Club has been nothing but wonderful and professional. Made my day even more special.

Danielle · Married on 06/18/2016

Everything was beyond perfect. Every person we dealt with was amazing and so helpful and friendly. Lauren and Nicole always answered questions in a timely matter. Bertha was the day of coordinator and was absolutely amazing. Everything looked perfect the day of and we were beyond happy. The food was delicious, the staff was great, the bartenders were wonderful. We would not change anything.

Bianca · Married on 02/13/2016

I am in awe at our experience with the Colony Club for our wedding reception location. I am smiling just typing this because of the incredible experience we had. The wedding was absolutely perfect, right down from the planning with Lauren who accommodated all of our specials needs, to the staff who provided very prompt and friendly service. Concerned about the food? Don't be, it was amazing! Bertha the event manager especially took care of us the whole night, what a wonderful lady she is. And then there's the hall itself.. it's breathtaking. I am not exaggerating, I have not seen a more beautiful venue. The tall glass windows and decorative walls and ceilings, I felt truly like a princess on my wedding day. It was everything I hoped and dreamed for. All of our guests had an amazing time and the temperature of the room was perfect. We had a winter wedding so I'm not sure how it is in the summer but I cannot speak more highly of our experience. Truly the best day of our lives. Thank you Colony Club!!!

Kristen · Married on 11/14/2015

Our wedding was in November 2015. Overall, the Colony Club experience was as close to a fairy tale as you can imagine... You will be taken care of with no issues whatsoever. Service was great! Dinner was not as spot on as we remembered from the tasting (apps were delicious, thought), but overall everything was amazing. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! We worked with Lauren throughout the planning stages and had a last minute change of Event Managers to Melissa. Melissa was very sweet and great, frequently checked in on us to see if we needed anything. Alan kept our glasses filled throughout the night. Thank you for an amazing night!

Karen · Married on 10/31/2015

My daughter's wedding was 10-31-2015. It was magical and truly gorgeous! Thanks to Ashley for the remote planning with our daughter who lives in England, but wanted a wedding in Detroit. Thanks to Judy, our fabulous event manager, who made sure things went perfectly, and modified on the fly as needed. She was perfect! We could not have done it without her. Our guests felt so appreciative of the beauty that surrounded them and the wonderful food (we got many compliments). It was an elegant classy wedding that also felt friendly and cozy, despite the upscale venue. Thanks also to the rest of the staff who did a wonderful job of serving, bartending, and meeting our needs! You will not go wrong to choose the Colony Club for your wedding!

Breanna · Married on 08/07/2015

I fell in love with the Colony Club the moment I saw their website... Such a beauty venue! I live in North Carolina currently but the Colony Club did an amazing job with working with my schedule and helping me plan an amazing wedding remotely! Lauren & Nicole were so responsive with emails and really helped out so much! The Colony Club employees are all so professional and really care about amazing service! My wedding was on the 4th floor and it was an amazing back drop for my ceremony and reception! The day of coordinator was really helpful with the timing of the ceremony and making sure things flowed well during the reception. It was the perfect place to host our Downtown Detroit wedding that my husband and I dreamed of :)

Lila · Married on 07/11/2015

My husband and I were just married at the Colony Club this past Saturday and we could not have been more pleased. Everything went absolutely perfectly and the service was impeccable. They made sure everything was as we wanted it to be and the staff was incredibly professional and precise in setting everything up. Our guests commented us many times on the venue and how great the service was. The waiter for the head table was awesome. He brought us more drinks before our drinks were even halfway gone and kept mine and my husbands food warm while we were going around greeting our guests. We could not have been more happy with the way things went and would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a place to hold their ceremony and reception.

Kristen · Married on 04/11/2015

I am so happy with my decision to have my wedding at the Colony Club. The 3rd floor ballroom is absolutely stunning, it doesn't need a lot of extra decorations. I worked with Lauren and she was very professional and timely. The planning went well, especially since I was an out of town bride. The actual wedding day went very smoothly. We had both our ceremony and reception there. Many of our guests complimented the food. While it is on the expensive side, I do believe it was worth it (also, the minimum covers nearly everything, such as taxes and gratuity, whereas I found other places may not include these in the minimum). I also love the location, especially since many of our guests had never been to Detroit. Highly recommended!

Shaina · Married on 10/11/2014

The Colony Club was AMAZING. I worked with Nicole for the booking and planning process, she was prompt and easy going to making my visions come to life. My day of coordinator was Bertha and she was a saint. Honestly, the whole event went smoothly because of the professionalism they exude. Also, the fact that venue is just beautiful and well maintained helps out a lot too!

Jamie · Married on 08/23/2014

The night of the wedding could not have been any better. Bertha (day of coordinator) was unbelievable! Her staff was incredible as well. The room was perfect and service was fantastic. We received and are still receiving compliments! I know there are a few reviews that complained about the air but we had 150 people in the 3rd floor ball room on a hot/humid August day and had no issues.
    My only complaint is working with Nicole and her staff leading up to the wedding was not a good experience. The communication was terrible when working with the two Lauren's and it got to the point that we were only dealing with Nicole (the manager) at the end of the planning process. There were multiple instances of 'misinformation' and not getting back to us to the point we started to feel taken advantage of, a very scary feeling when you are planning your perfect day.
    All that being said, I wouldn't of had it anywhere else because the room and day of staff was that fantastic.

Amy · Married on 08/15/2014

No use to look anywhere else, the Colony Club is the best place to have your wedding. 3rd floor ballroom is absolutely beautiful and everyone was floored with the service and beauty! It is worth every penny you will spend, I promise! Alyssa is the best, and all the other staff is kind as well. Request Judy to work your day and you will love her, the reception went perfect!

Jon · Married on 07/12/2014

Amazing venue! Beautiful gem within Detroit with a very elegant feel for an event. The service was exceptional from the wedding coordinators to the staff at the wedding. Definitely recommended for anyone looking for a classy wedding with enough space to fit over 250 people comfortably.

Patrice · Married on 05/18/2014

The colony club is just stunning! We did have hesitations because of the price, but in the end it was so worth it. The entire staff we worked with from the first meeting up until the night of the event were so great. Judy (one of 2 banquet managers) even called me from her cell phone and told me to call her anytime! They were accommodating to our inquiries and requests and responded promptly.

The venue is just so beautiful and unique. As the other reviews say, our guests were stunned. We had our event in the 3rd floor ballroom and the balcony on the mezzanine level is such a great touch. We did our "king and queen" entrance from there and I really felt like royalty. Our friends were seated up there and even though it seems a bit removed, they loved it! We also had a jazz singer (Ben Sharkey) perform during dinner and the banquet managers insisted he set up upstairs. I wanted him on the main floor and really tried to make it happen, but they insisted. They really knew what they were doing! It was like out of a movie when he started performing from the balcony. People were eating dinner and didn't notice at first that the music was live, but when they did they were so enchanted!

We did have a larger wedding (almost 300) so just know that it does get tight. I insisted on having a mix of long and round tables (note: there is an extra fee for long tables as they don't own that many) which took up more room than if I had just done all round. But, our dance floor was a little small. They say they can hold 400, but I wouldn't go over 300 unless you are just having cocktails.

Colleen · Married on 04/26/2014

Our wedding at the Colony Club was absolutely perfect! Everyone we worked with, from our sales managers Lauren and Nicole to our Banquet Manager Bertha were incredibly attentive and wonderful to work with. A number of guests even told us our meal was not only the best "wedding food" they have ever had, but one guest even told us it was the best meal she has ever had anywhere. We were so impressed by the entire staff and cannot thank them enough for such a perfect night!

Natalia · Married on 12/29/2013

Our wedding at The Colony Club was amazing! The overall experience was wonxerful. JUDY was running the show and we were beyond impressed! The staff was very professional, from start to finish. It is a historical building that has the original decor to it. The 2 story grand ballroom is a true beauty! Our guests had a wonderful time. We feel very privileged to have a part of Detroit history in our wedding. Thank you to all involved on our special day!

Lisa · Married on 11/08/2013

The colony club 4th floor petite ballroom was absolutely gorgeous! Our food and drinks were amazing and the entire staff was extremely knowledgable, professional and friendly.

Mary Lynn · Married on 03/16/2013

Not only is the venue amazingly beautiful, the service & professionalism of the Colony Club staff is absolutely second to none. Judy, Nicole, Alison and the entire staff made the day perfect. I've had several guests comment on how pleasant and helpful the wait staff was. As the mother of the bride, I was actually able to enjoy the party knowing that every detail was being handled perfectly.

Jill · Married on 01/05/2013

Simply perfect!! Service, food, responsiveness, value, professionalism were all perfect. I had the perfect wedding day and one of the best decisions I made was choosing the colony club! It was absolutely beautiful and my guests and I had the best time! Thank you for making my day perfect!